Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Chrysler Town & Country/Dodge Grand Caravan

Comments

• tedebeartedebear Member Posts: 832
    One reason I would do it, is that on my MYGIG, I can not create a playlist from the HD, only disc or USB

You might be in the option to ADD music to the HDD. That's where you'll only see the disc or USB to import music from. If you haven't copied anything to the HDD yet there won't be anything showing in your playlist.

I just finished adding 9 CDs to the HDD. After it finished copying a disc it showed up as an entire album in my playlists. I had the option of renaming the playlist or keeping it at the default.

After copying the CDs to the HDD you can create virtual jukeboxes (JB button next to HDD) or just select what you want to hear from the playlists. Try uploading a CD and then going to the HDD mode and seeing if there is a new playlist.

HDD > Music (bottom right corner of the screen) > Playlist

You can rename your playlists if you go to Menu (button next to touch screen) and then My Files > My Music.

Here's another MyGIG site with some handy things:

Unofficial MyGIG Information Site
  • sean9sean9 Member Posts: 82
    Any new updates on the doors, for the 08 GC?? This issue is still ongoing in our van as well as some of our friends vans as well.....I want to know what is going on before I contact the dealership, I usually take anything they say with a grain of salt.
  • asdrew1asdrew1 Member Posts: 19
    My van will be going in this week for this problem and a few others. I'll let you know if I find out anything significant.

For us, it is the right side door which occasionally re-opens with about 4-6 inches to go. When it does it, it is always two times in a row, then closes the third time. The left door does not do it.
  • srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    That seems pretty low to me, though I am not at all familiar with Detroit driving conditions. With our 2007 DGC with the 3.8L engine, we've been averaging 20.8 mpg overall. Mostly suburban and highway driving.
  • waterloomanwaterlooman Member Posts: 15
    we have also had problems with the doors on our 08 T and C, they reprogramed the software which seemed to take care of it for one week, but the doors have started not closing again, it is usually the passenger side door, we have also started experiencing problems with the navigation and radio not working, at times the cruise control will not work, to fix these, we turn the vehicle off and start it again,, obviously, they either have some bugs in their software program
    Yea it is also my passenger side door that does this not the driver side. Really annoying when your buckling kids in and out of car seats, and always having to see if the door will close today or not, hit and miss. Sounds like Chrysler has no real fix for this problem as of yet. I may give the dealership a call to see what they have to say about it.
  • rjomrjom Member Posts: 21
    Thanks for the response.. I have been able to create playlists in JB from albums loaded on to the HDD, and see playlists on HDD too. I have imported them to the JB/. But what I wanted to do was add individual songs from the HDD to create a playlist. I was thinking that was what the choosing from "list" option was, that I do not have on any of my menu settings. Also, have been unable to create a playlist from MP3 files..don't think that is possible.
    Talked to the dealership, Apparently there is a new software REV. to be loaded into the 08 Caravans that should fix the door issue. However this has not been released as a recall?? I talked with a consultant at Chrysler Canada as well and they were unware of this issue. So once again, hopefully the software resolves this issue, otherwise we just live with it and move on.
    My 2008 also has the sliding door issue. Mostly on passenger side (consistently), but will also hesitate on driver's side ( 1 in 20 times). Initially I thought it was some kind of sensor, but from reading here, I see that this appears universally.
  • asdrew1asdrew1 Member Posts: 19
    My van is at the dealer right now and they said that there is a service bulletin on the known door issue and a software update to fix it. I'll let you know if it does not resolve it.

On another note, I was chastised by the service manager for giving them less than a perfect score on the service survey from Chrysler (13 days and 5 trips in service during the first 60 days of ownership). I'm trying to decide whether to let Chrysler know that a more than fair review results in negative response to their customers. I felt like I was being bullied to never report honestly again and indirectly threatened that they won't go out of their way to help me in the future. I may have to switch dealers after this trip.
    Thanks, keep us posted. I called my dealer about the problem a week ago, and they have not called me back.
  • tsc67tsc67 Member Posts: 1
    Our 2008 Town & Country Touring van has had a high-pitched squeal in the front end since the very beginning. When the noise appears, I noticed that if I completely let off the gas pedal the noise goes away. However, it eventually comes back again. The dealer has not been able to reproduce the problem. Has anyone had a similar experience? If so, were you able to pinpoint what it was and get it fixed?
  • flanders140flanders140 Member Posts: 18
    We had the exact same issue with our passenger sliding door and there is now a software update available to fix the problem. We had the new software installed 2 weeks ago and the door is working perfectly.

Now if they can get the radio (myGig) working correctly by installing the 3rd new unit today I'll be a little happier. This vehicle seems to be riddled with issues.
  • rktechrktech Member Posts: 25
    I have an 06 Ody coming off of lease later this year, and it's time to start seeing what the latest vans are all about. I know it's risky to get involved with a vehicle in the initial production...should allow them to work out any kinks before getting one. Well maybe as the fall approaches the production run will have things solved.

I've just read through the posts here to find the majority of issues revolve around the interior finishes, the MyGIG and general operational software (ie: the sliding doors). Apparently some of the software is already being updated and provided to customers. Fortunately none of the posts really tell tales of mechanical woes...except the power steering hose(s)...hmmmm...

Anyway, let the test drives begin !! I'll post impressions if I find anything helpful. I am going to look into possible mods as well. Things like swapping wheels from other model lines (I like a beefier look), and muffler/exhaust upgrades. So we'll see.
    But what I wanted to do was add individual songs from the HDD to create a playlist.

I haven't found a way yet to create custom playlists from songs in different albums that are already on the HDD. However, you could probably do it by first ripping CDs to your PC and then copying music to a USB flashdrive and uploading it to the MyGIG.

I think this would upload as one album of whatever is on the flashdrive and then you'd have your custom playlist or JB. I agree that we should be able to select individual music that's already on the MyGIG drive and create a new playlist.
    Thanks, I will give that a try and report back. I have them all on my PC, but was trying to do it from the ITUNES playlists. I might have to try another approach directly from PC to USB.
    BTW, do you have the latest MyGIG application software update?

MyGIG REN (without nav): v9.111
    MyGIG RER (with nav): v9.713 (v9.799 will be up shortly)
    Gracenotes database: v881

Unofficial MyGIG Information Site
    Yes, I do, but have not installed it. I am not sure what the benefit to the upgrade is. I posted a question previously, but apparently no one knew what the new upgrade would bring us compared to current version. Probably the upgraded Gracenotes, but I saw that as a separate download and install.
    The USB method worked fine. It took a couple of hours for me to locate and transfer MP3 files I wanted to the flash drive from the computer, but it was worth it. The good news is that a single playlist in the JB can have a huge number of songs using this method as opposed to from the disc. It does treat the USB as one "album." So I put about 300 songs (1GB) onto a flash, imported to the HDD, then created a 300 song playlist in JB, taking up only one album slot. I have been trying to think about this for for months, and did not consider the benefit of using a flash vs. CD. Thanks for the tip. Rick
    Glad to hear that the custom playlist thing worked for you. It's great that someone can create a single playlist with hundreds of songs but it's a bit of a pain that they have to do it on another system and then upload it to the MyGIG vis the USB.

Harman Becker is always coming out with new featues and it seems they do listen to the owners. Maybe we'll be able to create custom playlists someday out of music that's already on MyGIG.

Speaking of updates, you asked what the changes were for the latest REN (non nav) were. I copied the following list from the Unoffical MyGIG Information Site.

MyGIG REN/REZ (Without Navigation) Software Versions Definition

8.400 MY08 REN (North America) and REZ (Rest of World) launched in July 2007
    Gracenote 534 August 2006

9.004 MY08 REN (North America) and REZ (Rest of World) update October 2007
    Tuner & RDS enhancements / bug fixes (mostly for REZ)
    Stuck splash screen bug fix

9.110 MY08V1.0 REN and REZ update January 2008
    *Has lock up bug for CAN C vehicles (unknown at time of release)
    No new features however bug fixes include:
    Muting of VES 2
    VES browsing
    New AAC decoder improving reliability
    Juke Box Random mode behavior
    Phone display screen behavior
    Graphics if USB removed during copy
    Voice Recognition interaction with Steering Wheel Controls
    FF/FW graphics in HDD menu
    Added progress bar to USB copy
    Update EQs for non amplified system sound performance
    Gracenote August 2006

9.112 MY08V1.1 REN and REZ update March 2008
    Fix for CAN C vehicle lock up bug on Ignition on
    Gracenote 881 November 2007

EXPECTED RELEASES

July 2008 – New Model Year 2009
    Removal of Jukebox screen
    “Year” category replaced by “Favorites” under Browse menu
    New HMI for VES controls
    Default presets added for SAT mode
    Minor HMI changes
    Audio management improvements
    Not sure I really need the update, as it seems no new features, and my unit does not seem to have any bugs. But I did download and unzip, just for the heck of it. The disc burning seems to get hung up. Does anyone know how long the burn should take to put the files on the CD? Mine is going on 25 minutes now, and has said two minutes remaining for the last 20 minutes. This is my second attempt; it just seem to be copying and copying with no end in sight.
    I've done two updates and have never timed the burning but I'd say around 10 minutes or so. The instructions say to burn at a 2x slow speed but my Nero won't throttle down that slow.

I have MyGIG with nav and I noticed some things were changed that were not mentioned in the update list. Mainly colors changes that make some of the menus look better.
    Yeah, I couldn't get anywhere near that slow. It is still hungup for one hour fifteen minutes. Has also taken control of the CD. Can not cancel or eject. Spinning, spinning.. Guess I will not attemp it as one folder will not copy based on my look at what is in the directories. Thanks for the responses.
  • jpasheajpashea Member Posts: 1
    I have had much success adding several cds onto my HDD. My problem is that any songs that i try to download from my napster or zune files are not recognized-no song name or artist name. Does anyone know any way around this? I can add them under jukebox and rename the whole cd, but not individual songs.
    Will any of the updates address this? They're not all new songs.

On a seperate issue, we have also had problems with our power steering. Less than 24 hours after owning it, we were stranded 35 miles from home when the entire amount of fluid leaked from the car. A week later, we had the same problem, only much smaller leak. Both times the dealer replaced "O" rings that had "malfunctioned". Turns out after the second problem, they noticed that the plant had put the wrong "O" rings on the vehicle to begin with-kind of scary.
    My problem is that any songs that i try to download from my napster or zune files are not recognized-no song name or artist name. Does anyone know any way around this?

I've heard that the Gracenotes database identifies songs based on the name of the CD, not something stored on each song. If that's the case then it wouldn't be able to name individual songs that were downloaded off the Internet.
    I had the same problem with the songs, but when I convert those songs to MP3 format, and load as MP3's the song, artist, and sometimes album all magically appear on the display, where previously they did not. I am now going back and converting the songs I loaded as "albums" to MP3's and load from a flash drive. Loading from a CD through programs such as ITUNES created songs in folders, which in my opinion messed up the display. Even though the manual recommends putting the songs in folders, I got rid of mine for the MP3's.
    Hows the door working?? Still closing ok?
  • cinann131cinann131 Member Posts: 27
    I have the same issue. Noticed it second day. Begins whistling at 40 to 50 mph and stops immediately upon letting up on the accelerator! Have a service appointment coming up and hope they can fix it.
  • wgm1950wgm1950 Member Posts: 2
    my serpentine belt comes off when it rains ..cover in on ..i cant find anyone that knows why it keeps comming off ...does anyone have experience or knowledge with yhis problem ?
  • kingwhkingwh Member Posts: 1
    this is a well-discussed problem, although I've never had it on my grand caravan.

see this site: http://www.carsurvey.org/viewcomments_review_30931.html
    or search "caravan" and "serpentine"

they say Gates Rubber has a solution available.
  • bzhnbzhn Member Posts: 7
    I just bought a 2008 T&C Signature Series with Swivel 'n Go 2nd row seating. I absolutely love the minivan, but am disappointed to learn that Chrysler warns against swiveling the seats to face the rear when using any kind of child restraint. Does anyone know what is the reason? The owner's manual gives no explanation, and the dealer has no idea. It seems to me that it would be actually safer for children (especially infants) when the seats are rear facing.
  • wolfhndmomwolfhndmom Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I'm new to this forum as of a few minutes ago. I've been reading about great prices on the Town and Country with this "friends discount". I am purchasing/ordering tomorrow so if anyone has a "code" or whatever I may need to secure such a discount, I would be ever soooo greatful. This will be my very 1st brand new vehicle ever (and I'm 53 years old) and the purchasing experience has been .... ummm not good. Don't know who to trust.
    I've decided on a 25 k touring. Still trying to decide do I or don't I want heated seats.

Thanks for reading this,
    Terry
  • borcharlborcharl Member Posts: 4
    You have to know someone that works for Chrysler or one of their related companies.
    They have to apply to Chrysler for a friends number that you will give to a dealer that is in the friends program. A friend of ours got a number for us and the cost to us was 1% under dealer invoice.

I guess that the heated seats depend on where you live. They are great in the winter up North but don't mean much here in FL.

We purchased a T&C Limited using our friends discount and are very happy with it.

:)
    Hi Terry,

If you can't get a Friends code you might try the Fax Attack. Some owners used that recently and said they got a price that was even lower than the Friends discount.

Use your Carspace email tools and drop me a note if you need additional information.
  • bzhnbzhn Member Posts: 7
    Try posting a message under "Introduce Yourself and Your Minivan" at www.chryslerminivan.net. I got a friendly response within 24 hours for an FFP code, although I didn't end up needing it because I was able to negotiate a price of a couple of hundred dollars under invoice. Good luck!
  • vikingfanvikingfan Member Posts: 5
    Hi all.

Just picked up my 2008 T & C Touring with stow away middle row seats. One question:

Is there a trick to getting the headrests on the middle row seats to lock into place? They 'click' on each notch but don't seem to lock. Is that on purpose or am I missing something.

Note, I don't have this problem with the front row ones, only the middle row.
  • scoutllscoutll Member Posts: 40
    I have an 08 GC SXT with the 25L package, Entertainment 2 package, Leather interior as the major options and love it. Any problems I have found with the van are strictly software related and I'm confident will go away with updates. Any time you are dealing with computer technology, and a totally new vehicle model, you have to expect initial programming glitches. I have read several complaints about the cheap looking interiors and for one do not agree. I think they look fine and don't look any cheaper to me than anyone else. Yes there is hard plastic everywhere, but I can't remember seeing a car in 25 years that hasn't been covered in plastic. I have to smile when I read a professional review on something like the a Dodge of Ford and it says, "the interior is full of plastic" and they review something like a BMW, or one of their beloved Hondas, and the lines change to "I was encased in a sumptuous cocoon of faux leather and formed polycarbonate" . Eh?? they're all plastic! I actually like the look and layout of the interiors. The Chrysler looks somewhat classic 1930's and the Dodge reminds me a bit of the dodge pick-ups of the late 60's. The guages in both versions are fabulous. I started out favoring the T&C, but by the time we bought, I had switched over to the GC.. This is my third Dodge mini, and my 4th MoPar in the last 15 years (with several other brands slipped in here and there), and in my opinion they can't be beat. Even though we were pretty sure it was going to be an 08 Chrysler van when we went looking, we gave the others an objective shot. When all was said and done, we didn't feel any of them compared. We compared several brands, such as Toyota, side by side with the T&C and GC and still came away with the Dodge.
    The brands were looked at and impressions/findings were:
    Hyundai - Nice van. Fuel consumption was not as good. More price for much less. Much higher insurance.
    Kia - Same as Hyundai. A little lower priced though.
    Honda - Nice handling. Noiser ride. No better fuel consumption, Higher Insurance. Much higher price for much less.
    Toyota - The local Chrysler dealer also sells them, so we got to do a comparison of all three (Dodge, Chrysler and Toyota) at the same time. More comfortable second row seats, but no stow and go. Otherwise, it was totally uninspiring.

Some things the Chrysler/Dodge has over the entire field are:
    Total usable cargo space; Two video systems (three vid screens if you are parked); 6 speed transmission on the 3.8 and 4.0; Standard, side air bags, brake assist and electronic stability (things such as side bags and Electronic stability were on several of the other brands too, but I don't know if they were standard); Lifetime, unlimited mileage powertrain warranty, without deductibles; Lower insurance cost; 5 star front and side crash rating (some of the others, such as Toyota were 4 star in some areas). Another plus for us was the local dealer who really seems to want to earn the 5 star service rating.
    All of the others were significantly higher priced with less equipment, when it came to the bottom line. The closest to the Dodge (other than a T&C) was a very low optioned Toyota that they would let go for 26,000 (window sticker was just under 29,000) . We got the nicely equipped Dodge for under 26,000.

Some areas where the field had it over the Chrysler twins were: Acceleration in the area between 40-65 or so (3.8 engine). The 3.8 can keep up taking off, but loses some in the middle range. Not worried, I'm not going to race it anyway.

Second row seating in all the others was better, but they weren't worried about making the seats fit into the floorwells either. There wasn't enough difference to give up the stow and go.

Handling on the Honda and Toyota was somewhat better, but the quiet, smooth ride of the Chryslers at highway speeds beat them all. Hyundai was second best here.

And,,, The biggest plus is...... My four little grandkids just love the Dodge... That alone would have probably been the kicker even if all the other things had been equal.

Enough said,, I guess I rambled a bit, but I don't have anything to moan about.. :) .
    Nice review.

BTW, I can point you to an aftermarket plug-in that will enable all 3 video screens, whether you're moving or parked. Do a Google search for MyGIG Lockpick. It also enables the keyboard while in motion.

I have it on my Sebring, not that I'd ever watch a movie while driving. Being able to turn on the backup camera while driving 70 mph down the highway creates an interesting view. :D
    Ha! That's all I need...to stare at the 50,000 pound grain truck that's tailgating me!!!!

Seriously though, I have looked at the lockpick web page and it's interesting... I don't know if it's almost 300.00 interesting right now, but it looks pretty neat.
  • jeffuhdejeffuhde Member Posts: 10
    Has anyone heard about the T&C getting the 4.0 engine or the option for the 4.0 instead of the 3.8 (like the GC has for Dodge) before the end of the model year? Was shopping at the dealer a few weeks ago and the sales person said that Chrysler was going to add the 4.0 to the M package to match Dodge's offering in the GC in a few months but he didn't know exactly when.

I'm probably looking to order around the end of May or June and would really like to have the 4.0 without the Limited package. Thanks to anyone that has any news.
    Has anyone heard about the T&C getting the 4.0 engine or the option for the 4.0 instead of the 3.8 (like the GC has for Dodge) before the end of the model year?

The latest news doesn't show that the 4.0 will be an option on any of the other T&C packages anytime soon but it is standard on the Limited.

You can see a quick video of it if you'd like. I know, it's not the same. :(

2008 Town & Country Engines
  • odymommaodymomma Member Posts: 6
    Great review. We di similar and at first purchased a 2007 Odyssey based on Edmunds and CR but after 7 months and 5,000 mi. realized it was a huge mistake. The ride was NOISY and the mpgs were only 13.9 in town driving. We decided to go back to a T&C but ended up with a GC 28M /with Leather, DVD's, and Sirius TV. Love it couldn't be happier. People need to take professional reviews with a HUGE grain of salt.
  • michaelmccunemichaelmccune Member Posts: 5
    I am in the buying process now. Test drive a Sienna and did not care for it. The Odyssey was ok, but I dislike most Honda vehicles. The Town and Country is my fav by far.
    After our comparisons, we were sure it was going to be the Town and Country, but ended up with the Grand Caravan. They happened to have one of each that were basically identical. The only differences were the T&C had remote start and the Grand Caravan had Automatic Climate Control. Town and Country was about $800 more. The real kicker in the end was my wife prefered the dash on the Grand Caravan over the T&C.. That is, until we were driving home and she realized that on the Dodge she couldn't see the speedometer from the passenger seat.......... Hee Hee Hee ;)

Right now we are getting 20.4 mpg doing about 60/40 short highway/city driving.
    It is very close to our 2003 Grand Caravan with the 3.3.

By the way... After the comparisons, if the Chrysler twins had not existed we would have "settled" for the Hyundai.

Order of finish in our tests were:

1. Dodge/Chrysler (finish order here is really just visual and trim preferences )

3. Hyundai
    4. Kia
    5. Honda
    6. Toyota
    Any one else experience a rather loud and annoying exhaust ping after driving your 08 GC and parking it. Goes for a good 5 min until it cools down. Is this normal?
    Goes for a good 5 min until it cools down. Is this normal?

Yes. I noticed my Sebring doing that when it was new. It still does it a little after 7,000 miles but it doesn't seem as loud as it did at first.
    Mine pings a bit for a couple minutes after it's parked. The only time I really notice it is when it's inside the garage though.. I think it is coming from the exhaust heat shields around the catalytic converter. They heat up and expand while driving, then ping a bit while cooling down. I have heard a lot of cars do it. The loudest one I ever owned was a 97 Ford Explorer.
  • artgpoartgpo Member Posts: 483
    I must question your claim of very poor mileage with an Odyssey. My 2006 Odyssey EX-L now has 45,000 very mixed use miles. The van has averaged 20+ mpg since Day One. The lowest mpg I have experienced is 19 in stop and go and extended idling usage. I average 25 mpg on the highway at 70 mph.

Yes, we have to doubt reviews by publications accepting advertising dollars from the same manufacturers whose product is being reviewed. It is for that reason I read Consumer Reports but even then I I try to get as much other independent information before making a purchasing decision. These forums are an excellent source of real owner data.
  • rktechrktech Member Posts: 25
    ...odymomma...I have an 06 Ody with only about 20k miles. I have to say that it's just recently started to get good mileage. Most of my driving is in town, and that remains in the mid-teens, while highway mileage has just started to reach 22 mpg.

If a Dodge or Chrysler gets better than that from day one, I'd like it just swell. My lease is up in October, so I'm exlporing the possibilities of the GC.
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    I asked my dealer/service proffesional about the exhaust ping, I also thought something is wrong, since my recent Dodge van did not do this. But he stated it is perfectly normal. But I feel that this should not happen... Overall, I think Chrysler still needs to improve in the powertrain dept. and driving dynamics - improve NVH is the most important, fuel effecincy next, and the handling also needs big improvement.

Chrysler is promising some interesting updates for the '09 model year (built-in Wi-Fi?), but I would beg them to take care of the basics first. More comfortable seats in rear. Quieter engines. I would also love to see the glove boxes lighted.

And please, PLEASE!! bring back the wiper de-icer. And redesign the HVAC controls so it should be more simple, especially the Automatic.