Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Chrysler Town & Country/Dodge Grand Caravan

jamesfletcher2jamesfletcher2 Member Posts: 127
I am interested in the new 2008 Chrysler Town & Country/Dodge Grand Caravan that were shown at the recent Detroit Auto Show. I just read on a Chrysler site that the target introduction in June/July 2007 as early 2008s.

Since I have no interest in the current Chrysler Town & Country/Dodge Grand Caravan models I believe that a dedicated 2008 forum is merited.

Comments

• jamesfletcher2jamesfletcher2 Member Posts: 127
    The attached link has some decent photos of the 2008 T&C. I am sure there are even better sites but this set is straight from Chrysler.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2008-chrysler-town-and-country-1/
  • jboehmjboehm Member Posts: 44
    I talked to my local dealership last week and they told me that they were expecting 2008 vans in late April/early May.
  • drjcldrjcl Member Posts: 4
    Where are you located? When will the 2008 be on the lots with the new Swivel N Go seating arrangement?
  • gmhellmangmhellman Member Posts: 121
    My wife and I own a 97 Chrysler Town and Country SX with the 3.3l v6. The van has served us well since we purchased it in 2004. The vehicle only has 75,000 miles on it now. We tow a small pop up trailer in the summer for camping. We are looking forward to the new model being released. I can't wait to acutally get to sit in one and drive it. I would like the long wheel base with the swivel and go and also the large v6. I have been disappointed with the 2004-2007 models of minivans. The foreign models were powerful, but the interiors felt too industrial and rather uncomfortable in the seats. The gm vans are now history, leaving us with the town and country/grand caravan for the american offerings.
  • jamesfletcher2jamesfletcher2 Member Posts: 127
    gmhellman -

I am also interested in sitting in and driving them. Like you I am only interested in the 4.0 liter V6 with the new 6-speed automatic transmission.

I actually would go with the Stow-n-Go rather than the swivel seating since I have to be able to fold the seats into the floor for my dog and cargo. From the pictures and press release with the Detroit Auto Show I got the impression that the Stow-n-Go and the Swivel seating can not be ordered together.
  • carcom2carcom2 Member Posts: 212
    That is correct. The Swivel 'n Go do not stow. But I believe they fold and I know they can be removed - they have wheels. They are probably more comfortable than the Stow 'n Go seats - more padding & bigger cushion.

Here is a good link:
    http://www.allpar.com/model/m/2008-minivans.html.

My question is according to that link which gives different dimensions for head room with a sunroof (which makes sense), will a sunroof really be offered? What then happens to the optional dual screen and the nice overhead lighting that comes with it? It's hard to tell from the pics, but it doesn't look like a sunroof can fit with the overhead display. I hope it can - the Nissan Quest has room for a sunroof & their dual screen/ overhead lighting system.
  • carcom2carcom2 Member Posts: 212
    check out Chrysler.com for more new minivan info.
  • timothyftimothyf Member Posts: 40
    Does anyone have any information on the reliability of the 4L engine going into DCX's 2008 minivan?
  • nonnemachernonnemacher Member Posts: 98
    Does anyone know if Dodge will offer grand caravan cargo version in the new body style? Some years they did not offer these.

We have a 2002 DGC Sport and I've not driven a 2003-2007 model. Our 2002 drives perfectly and has had very few problems. It has the 3.3L with 4-speed, quad seats, rear air, and some other options, but the seats do not fold into the floor. I guess it improves our marriage to both remove and install the rear bench seat...

The newer features are certainly popular, but not necessary. The only thing I saw on Dodge's site that I did not liek about the 2008 offerings is that you do not appear to get cruise control on the lower level vans without an expensive option package.
  • allcarsrcoolallcarsrcool Member Posts: 113
    I love the fact that another manufacturer is adding the swiveling seat. I grew up in a minivan that had that feature and it was always so much fun to have a limo-like atmosphere in a minivan. The truth is that it is not an "Industry First" as chrysler and dodge say it is. The toyota previa had swiveling seats. And if the toyota previa was a minivan as I believe it was, the swiveling seats are not an industry first they are an industry second. They can't take all the credit, but nice job bringing that feature back.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    Swiveling seats are a very nice feature. I have swiveling seats in my 1969 Ford Econoline and, while they are rarely used these days, they were a handy feature in my childhood days.

Disappointing that Chrysler went with such bland styling for the new model, but I have always preferred function over form so I hope that it is a robust and functional van.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    I believe this engine is the same one used in the Pacifica. You may want to check that forum for any issues dealing with this particular engine.
    Wow... i didn't know the feature was that old!... So why then does chrysler call it an industry first? I guess because the Econoline was a "van" not a "minivan" but then what about the previa... it was a "minivan"
  • redundantredundant Member Posts: 15
    This car is coming out in October? I wonder why it hasn't been made accessible to the press. Most cars introduced at the spring car shows have been reviewed. Wonder what the problem is.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    I should clarify that the seats in my van, while old (they came out of a 1971 Econoline my father purchased new), are aftermarket seats - he purchased a cargo conversion van. Original factory seats from that era did not even have headrests on them, let alone tilt or swivel! Happily, the captain's chairs in his van had all of those features and are very comfortable seats.

The Previa was a very well thought van: especially for the era. My father almost replaced his 1985 Camry with one until he remembered that he was buying it for himself, not his kids, so he went with a '92 Camry instead.

I tell you, though, the most revolutionary feature added to the minivan was the advent of the left side sliding door in addition to the door on the right. I bet every manufacturer out there let out a collective "duh!" when that was introduced. Sure did not take them long to jump on the bandwagon! :D

I really like my '69 Econoline but, for versatility of use, it cannot compare to the dual-door equipped '98 Caravan. Hauling passengers is such a breeze with those double doors. I told my wife we should sell the Caravan and beef up the Econoline instead (overall, it is a far more reliable and simple to maintain vehicle). She just laughed at me. I get that reaction quite often from her.... :blush:
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • redundantredundant Member Posts: 15
    Wow. [non-permissible content removed] and ye shall receive. The next day the first drive is posted on Insideline. Man, I didn't realize I had such clout.

Heh..heh.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    I knew yesterday that the First Drive would be released today. When I saw your whine, I thought you must be psychic! :blush:

You can post your thoughts about the article here.
    I loved riding in the previa... It was so much fun, especially when my cousins were in the car. It became a real party wagon. Unfortunately the previa died when a huge tree limb came down in a storm and landed on the roof... shattering the windsheild and damaging the overhead air conditioning unit... The car wasn't quite the same after that. I still miss it... my father replaced it with a chevrolet suburban...
  • lancefreilancefrei Member Posts: 1
    Dodge will offer a Grand Caravan cargo version in the new body style.
  • chryslerinfochryslerinfo Member Posts: 6
    Attention all you music lovers out there!

We’d like to invite you to check out the new Chrysler Music Legends Podcast Series featuring some of music’s greatest artists. We’ve just added a new installment featuring Mick Jagger of the Rolling Stones. These podcasts feature great music and in-depth interviews and biographies of your favorite musical acts. Best of all, they’re free!

If you use iTunes, all you have to do is visit Chrysler Music Legends Website and simply click on the “Subscribe Here” button. Make sure to turn Artwork on to get a glimpse of some rare photos of your favorite music stars.

The Chrysler Music Legends Podcast Series comes to you courtesy of Chrysler and the All- New 2008 Town & Country Minivan featuring *Swivel ‘n Go Seating and the optional **SIRIUS Backseat TV.

For more information on the All- New 2008 Town & Country, click here.

For more information on other Chrysler products, click here.

As always, feel free to contact with me if you have any questions.

Sean T.
    Chrysler Online Dialogue Representative
    Chrysler Information Center
    ChryslerForum@bbdodetroit.com
    1-800-CHRYSLER / 1-800-247-9753

* Seats must be locked in forward or rearward mode while vehicle is in motion. Child restraints must only be used when seats are in forward-facing mode. Children 12 and under should always be seated in the rear seats properly restrained in a child seat or the vehicle seatbelt. Table top must be installed to base at all times when in use. When not in use, table and base must be properly stowed. Never drive with the table installed without properly using your seat belt.

** SIRIUS dog logo and related marks are registered trademarks of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc. SIRIUS Backseat TV is a trademark of SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc. One year paid subscription by SIRIUS. Programming is subject to change. Not available in Puerto Rico or Hawaii; Limited reception in Alaska. For full terms and conditions, visit sirius.com
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A journalist with a national publication would like to speak to buyers of the 2008 Town & Country minivan with the MyGig, rear-seat entertainment and satellite television features. The reporter would like to discuss how your family uses MyGig and how important this feature was in your purchase decision. If you’re interested in speaking to the reporter, please send your daytime contact information to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Monday, December 3, 2007.
  • timothyftimothyf Member Posts: 40
    I have a 2008 T&C. Does anyone know if you can buy extra headsets some place else than the dealer that will work in the van?
  • tedebeartedebear Member Posts: 832
    Does anyone know if you can buy extra headsets some place else than the dealer that will work in the van?

I looked up to see what type of wireless headset it comes with. It looks like it is IR - thought it may have been Bluetooth.

My suggestion would be to go someplace like Best Buy and ask them. If they suggest something they think will work make sure you can return it for no stocking fee if it doesn't.
  • lilvbclilvbc Member Posts: 15
    Hi everyone/anyone,
    This thread should be the most active one for the '08 T&C/Caravan but it's been pretty inactive. My question is: now that many of you have bought the '08 T&C, what have been your driving experiences? Any reliability problems so far? In particular, Consumer Reports killed this model -- they basically thought the MyGig was too difficult to use, the handling was terrible, the wet braking was bad, the swivel-go was too tight, etc. Their review sounded a little over the top to me and alone would not sway me to not purchase the minivan. Many of us really need more real world reviews!! We should try to post these type of things here instead of making a bunch of new little threads on individual problems... Thanks a bunch!
    I don't think CR could do an unbiased review on a skateboard. It is obvious to me that anything with an import nameplate on it gets glowing reviews from them before they even open the driver's door.

I surf the forums here a lot and the biggest complaint from new owners I've seen on the 08 Chrysler minivans is that the side door can accidently be left open and you don't get any audible feedback when you go to lock your door. I suspect Chrysler could make a change to that if they received enough feedback from the people.
  • maryh3maryh3 Member Posts: 263
    I wish I could review but still waiting on my van. Ordered it a few weeks ago expecting it to be in before X-mas when we typically take a long trip to see relatives. Was told yesterday that they are backlogged on certain colors of leather so it won't be in until January sometime. Looks like I will have to take my 174K 2000 T&C on the trip instead. I'm disappointed. The new van would have made that journey a lot shorter.
    Well I guess I should be grateful that I have a backup. But those double DVD,s and MyGig, quietness, smoothness, reading lights, table and swivel seats would have been nice.

Indeed this should be an active thread, perhaps many of us are waiting on our vehicles. As far as CR goes, their bias cracks me up. You have to go by your own experiences and judgments when purchasing vehicles. I've always been a fan of making decisions based upon what I see and hear. My experience with my old T&C was exceptional enough for me to repurchase one with a differing package.
  • veritasusaveritasusa Member Posts: 72
    I can't get the 4.0L engine at all in the T&C Touring and I have to take the swivel n go seats, along with a load of other useless (to me) crap in the Dodge SXT to get the 4.0L engine.

The Toyota Sienna is looking better to me all the time, especially as Chrysler still hasn't made even a halfway serious attempt to address the NVH problems with my 2005 T&C Touring.
  • chryslertcmanchryslertcman Member Posts: 2
    We love our T&C. We bought it Dec 1st and have about 1300 miles on it. We love it. There has been no quality control issues. The MyGIG is VERY EASY. If Consumer Reports thought the MyGIG was hard they must have problems with a standard AM/FM radio also because it is very simple. We have loaded over 10 CD's to the hard disc drive so far. On cool feature is the JukeBox setting in MyGIG. You can basically customize groups of songs/CD's and also name the CD/songs if the CD did not have them. Overall I think this van should get 10 stars, we had also looked at the Honda Ody and the T/C was much nicer. We had a 2005 Duragno Limited so going to a "MiniVan" was a shock to the ego. Well I should say that we are happy to be driving the van. It is very convenient with having a family. The storage is much better than the Durango. We also live in Northern Michigan and the T/C is great in the snow, just as good as the Durango that was a 4x4. I hope that this post helps......
  • bear17bear17 Member Posts: 5
    We love are Town and Country Touring van so far. We got it in October, wish we would have waited a little longer, as they came out with a better rebate than the $500 we received. We have had No problems with the van with just 3000 miles on it so far. We are wondering about the gas mileage, it is getting 18 MPG driving everyday on the freeway doing around 70. We where hoping it would get into the 20+ range as they advertise. Is that average for the 3.8 engine, even with the new 6 speed transmisson? Othrwise it is a nice van, except it is down shifting alot on the freeway for any larger hill a person accends. Maybe that will all get better after it breaks in more.
    The MyGIG is VERY EASY. If Consumer Reports thought the MyGIG was hard they must have problems with a standard AM/FM radio also because it is very simple.

I agree with you on that. I recently bought a different Chrysler vehicle with MyGIG. It seems fairly easy to use even though it came with a big separate manual. Someone on the forums said it was difficult to add a SAT station preset but I don't see what the problem is - it's very easy for me to do.

BTW, if you have the MyGIG with nav there is an application update to v9.561 available if you do a Google search. Among other things, it removes that annoying Accept screen that you have to press whenever you turn on the radio. The screen still pops up but it disappears by itself after 5 seconds.

Maybe someday Chrysler will even fix that link in the owner's manual for the www.chrysler.com/mygig to go to someplace useful other than a Sebring MyGIG information page.
  • lilvbclilvbc Member Posts: 15
    Thanks so much for the insight, everyone. Please keep the reviews coming. I'm ready to lease a new one, just need to find a fully loaded T/C Limited, black/beige in my area... :mad:
  • bear17bear17 Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone had problems with the tail gate and sliding doors being open when returning to the van. We purchased a 2008 TC touring van in Oct. and a few times we have came out and the tailgate is lifted, it was closed when we put it in the garage. Last night while visiting we came out later and the sliding door was open, it was closed when we went into the house. How can this happen? We thought maybe the button was being pressed when in our pocket but it would have to be pressed twice for the doors to open. We are in wonder??? We have just been lucky it has not happened at a shopping Mall.
  • faroutfarout Member Posts: 1,609
    Some of the 07 Chrysler Pacifica's with the 4.L engine & 6 speed Automatic have recalls on the tourque coverters. There is a shuddering at 1200 rpm and 2000 rpms. Has anyone had this on the Caravan or Town & Country?

farout
    Has anyone had problems with the tail gate and sliding doors being open when returning to the van.

This is the first time I've heard about the doors opening on their own. I have read two cases where the sliding door was partially open and the owner did not immediately notice and the van did not give any feedback when he/she locked the doors with the remote and thought everything was secure.

You might call Chrysler customer assistance at 1-800-992-1997 and report the problem if you have a few minutes to spare. Yours might not be an isolated incident but if the company doesn't know this is happening they won't take any steps to fix the problem and possibly issue a recall to correct the defect.
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    I just got my new T&C Limited this week, and now have close to 500 miles. I will still write a more detailed view, but for now in short.

I was also very angry at CR at first, but now I must admit that they'rw quite right with their review. While I could not test braking distance and handling tracks, I must that the handling is not what I was hoping for - even my old Dodge GC was much better. It feels like a heavy truck. And WHAT'S UP WITH THE NVH ISSUES? A brand new van with the new 4.0L engine should vibrate like a 6-year old van? And why is it SOOO noisy when revved during acceleration?

And if you have the MyGig along with the Navigation system and bluetooth (Uconnect), you'll also have to admit that it's quite complicated - well, it's not iDrive, but still.... I would have about at least 20 recommendations to ease operation and make the text on LCD more useful. What more do you need that there is an extra thick owner's manual just for the MyGig system? Tons and tons of features in one 6.5" LCD with just 10 hard buttons? Where ia Hansienna? He used to like Chrysler for putting separate controls for adjusting bass & treble... ha ha ha... You now have to press MENU on the side of the LCD. and press "Audio control" with a push on the LCD, then press "Equalizer", and then you have PUSH BUTTON controls on the LCD to adjust the EQ to your likings........

But otherwise, this van is terrific. Beautiful inside, the ride is smooth, and there are so many features in this van, I hope I will be able to learn at least half of them in the next few months...

Still, if I would have worked for Chrysler design team (Note: now in fantasy land), I would have a lot of improvements to offer... For instance, the controls for the auto temperature are so....um.... again, complicated.... placed very low on the dashboard, with many tiny buttons which looks similar to each other.... and some other minor things....

OK for now... more details to follow.... (a positive review)..
  • vex321vex321 Member Posts: 16
    Hey guys

I picked up by 08 T&C Touring a few days ago and I was wondering if anyone else encountered the same problem

The ESP BAS and the light right next to it ( one that looks like a little car slipping ) came on at about 50 miles and its not going away..
    Does anyone know what this means?

At around 10 miles it came on briefly then went away so I didnt give it much thought. Now its been there for about 10 miles...

Can anyone help?
    Should I goto the dealer? ( I would hate to take another day off from work for this...argg. )

Thanks in advance for any help
  • philly95philly95 Member Posts: 8
    I am purchasing a minivan for my wife in the next 6 - 8 months. I am reviewing the Odyssey, Sienna and Entourage. My wife really loves the '08 T&C, but the reports of "unfixable" transmission problems with prior T&C models is causing me to push her towards the Odyssey, which is her least favorite.

Has anyone heard anything regarding transmission and/or other engine related issues on the '08 T&Cs?

I will take a chance on any other mechanical, non-engine related issue, within reason, as long as I have a warranty to cover the first 5-6 years; but I will not take a chance on my wife being stranded.

Thanks for the replies.
    You can find what these mean in your owner's manual but...

ESP stands for Electronic Stability Program. This system enhances directional control and stability of the vehicle under various driving conditions.

BAS stands for Brake Assist System. The BAS is designed to optimize the vehicle's braking capability during emergency braking maneuvers.

If the ESP/BAS warning light comes on continuously with the engine running, a malfunction has been detected in either the ESP or BAS system, or both. If this light remains on after several ignition cycles, and the vehicle has been driven several miles at speeds greater than 30 mph see your authorized dealer as soon as possible to have the problem diagnosed and corrected.

I would hate to take another day off from work for this...argg.

If you have to leave your vehicle with the dealer they should furnish you with a FREE rental vehicle while it is being serviced, as this problem is covered under the warranty. Refer to your owner's manul for more details on the ESP and BAS functions.
  • dennisctcdennisctc Member Posts: 1,168
    but the reports of "unfixable" transmission problems with prior T&C models is causing me to push her towards the Odyssey, which is her least favorite

This hasn't been a problem for almost 10 years now, and the main issue was garages using the wrong tranny fluid, causing all the issues. I haven't had issue in any of mine.....96, 99 (company vehicles I abused) and my personal 2005. The current 6 spd (no other minivan manufacturer offers one btw) has been used in the Pacifica for over a year without any issues.

Check out other forums on here, the other guys have had their issues too i.e...Ody. You get a far better warranty on the Chrysler - Lifetime!! Not Shabby. I'm itching for a 2008 T&C Limited myself
  • philly95philly95 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the feedback. That does make me more comfortable.

Does anyone else share the same experiences as dennisctc?
    My wife really loves the '08 T&C, but the reports of "unfixable" transmission problems with prior T&C models is causing me to push her towards the Odyssey, which is her least favorite.

If you are concerned about transmission issues - don't go for an Odyssey. If you like the feel of the Odyssey - that would be a legitimate reason to buy one, but the Odyssey is having some pretty bad transmission issues - go read the thread under the "Odyssey transmission issues". It is suspected that Odyssey will have transmission issues until at least 2006. We won't know until they get a few miles behind them but to buy an Odyssey over a T&C due to transmission problems is going from the pot to the frying pan. If anything, the Sienna transmission fares better than an Odyssey's.

My experience with Chrysler vans is that the older ones, pre 2000 did have some transmission issues and I knew some people who replaced them back in the mid 90's. However, they made a great number of changes to the models around the year 2000 and they no longer have the problems with the transmissions that the older models had. I just crossed 175,000 miles on my original transmission (2000 T&C) -- seeing no problems with it at all. I flush it every 60,000 miles and that is it. I ordered a new 08 T&C and am patiently awaiting its arrival.
  • faroutfarout Member Posts: 1,609
    For whatever it's worth, we have a 2007 pacifica with the same 4 L V-6 and the 6 speed automatic that the T&C has. We have AWD as well. The engine has more power than our 4.7 V-8 in the Dakota we had! The 6 speed automatic is smooth and will allow you to drop the rpm's to about 1200 rpm, which gets the MUCH BETTER mpg.
    However, my dealership Service Manager had the Torque Conveter replaced because he felt the tranny was shuddering. I in retro thought believe that the engine at the low rpm's luggs somewhat, which at I think it the shudder some people are bothered by.
    Having has 18 Chrysler vehicles the transmissions that were not the best were the 3 speed automatic's that came in the Neon's and the Caravans. These were dropped 2003. We had two tranmissions in our 96 Neon and the last one put in at 89,000 miles was a Chrysler remanifactured. Our Neon now has 196,000 miles on it. We have Changed the fluid and filter every 30,000 miles and only at a Chrysler dealership shop.
    Also we have learned (at least it has been for us) to let only a Chrysler dealership work on our vehicles, it's no more expensive then any other shop, and the work is done by men who have a better knowledge of Chrysler vehicles.
    I would jump at the chance to get the T&C you want while the Lifetime Powertrain warranty is still offered. The Chrysler Service Contracts are Lifetime as well, and that's unbeatable by any other vehicle made on this earth!
    Hope this gives you more to think about.

farout
  • kcoreykcorey Member Posts: 130
    Just a thought...I had an '05 Buick Terraza that the side door would periodically open on. After the 3rd time, I brought it to the Buick dealer and they replaced both remotes...no charge. They said they couldn't find anything wrong, but after the replacements were installed, everything was fine. Like I said, just a thought.
  • kcoreykcorey Member Posts: 130
    You really should look at the Buick Enclave!
    I was also very angry at CR at first, but now I must admit that they'rw quite right with their review. While I could not test braking distance and handling tracks, I must that the handling is not what I was hoping for - even my old Dodge GC was much better. It feels like a heavy truck.

Actually what you have described is exactly why I think I like the T&C Limited. The stopping distances and steering are the similar for most minivans - they just differ in the sensitivity of the brake pedal and steering mechanism. I don't prefer one type of steering or braking over another. What I did prefer was the difference in the feel of the engine in the Limited. It DOES feel more like an SUV engine than its competitors or the 3.8/3.2 Chrysler engines. But the more I test drove it the more I liked it. I think this is because I have driven some type of minivan since 1995. And even though the Honda and Toyota owners will blow a fuse when I say this -- but after a while all the minivans feel similar to each other. After driving about 275,000 minivan miles, and testing all the 08 models -- I was bored. I missed the SUV craze since I was driving a minivan, so the SUV engine feel was a welcome change for me. For me, the Limited had a fresh, smooth, powerful feel -- and handled quite well. It was a welcome change from the boredom I felt while driving the other minivans.
  • artgpoartgpo Member Posts: 483
    Where are you getting these facts concerning the Odyssey five speed transmission? Yes, there were serious issues with the previous generation's five speed but that situation was corrected for this generation.

I have almost 40,000 trouble free miles on my '06 Odyssey unlike the last Grand Caravan I owed that went through replacement parts two at a time.

How do you make a statement like all minivans drive the same? As an owner of seven different minivans since 1983 there were none that drives as well as does the Odyssey. My son's 2008 Sienna does not handle as well as the Odyssey.
  • dennisctcdennisctc Member Posts: 1,168
    Yes, there were serious issues with the previous generation's five speed but that situation was corrected for this generation. I thought I read on the Ody thread about the 08 Odys using essentially the Pilot tranny, which is "supposedly" different than the 07 Odys, and this was done because of tranny issues? It didn't make sense that Honda would have different auto trannys for the same platforms i.e...Ody/MDX/Ridgeline/Pilot???

I have almost 40,000 trouble free miles on my '06 Odyssey unlike the last Grand Caravan I owed that went through replacement parts two at a time. I have countless friends with GCs that have had many trouble free miles too, and I've put 80k trouble free miles on 2 company caravans that I totally abused. A month ago I took a coworker to pick up his new Pacifica as his company GC had 117,000 miles on it....not a single problem. Everyone has their horror tales.

How do you make a statement like all minivans drive the same? I've said that many times myself......When I was testing driving Odys/Siennas/Dodges back to back, I was hard pressed to notice a difference, other than I thought the Dodge drove quieter than the Honda but not the Toyota, but overall handling...nada, sorry.
    I know a number of people who would not ever again buy a Chrysler product. You are among the lucky ones who got one that turned out to be reliable. I had a Dodge car that was bought back by the company under owner's arbitration and exchanged for a brand new, built to order Grand Caravan, The GC was as bad as the car. I have also had hellacious experience with VW and Nissan vans.

Whatever you wish to say negative about the Odyssey is your prerogative. Meanwhile I will continue driving the gold standard of minivans. If the Odyssey was junk I'd be here sounding off as loudly as I do about Chrysler.

You can't polish a turd.
    Speaking of transmission problems: There are 1,562 posts concerning Chrysler minivan transmission problems VS 276 Odyssey transmission problem posts here on Edmunds.

How did the Odyssey become the #1 selling minivan in 2007 despite Chrysler practically giving them away to rental companies?

Why does a one year old Odyssey that stickered for about $33,000, sold for about $29,000 have a resale of $25,000 yet a similar Chrysler mini can be had for about $13,000. One of our biggest Dodge dealers here in San Antonio has been flooding the airways with ads touting used "loaded" '07 GCs for $12,500.