Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Chrysler Town & Country/Dodge Grand Caravan

Comments

• rakammrakamm Member Posts: 7
    When I picked it up the second time they said they resealed the windshield. But the next day Noise again!! So this morning I took it back in to get it looked at again. He said it was the arms of the wipers so I was like well I am going to come in so you can take the arms off and let me drive it without the arm to see for myself if that is what is causeing it. Then he walked over to the car and then came back a few minutes later. I went with all three of my kids this time. so he was like well, I pulled back some molding or whatever and said that there was still some dust under there so the window guy didn't reseal it all of the way. So I left the van there again and they got me a rental to use while they have my van. The first time the said they resealed it it took about 4 hours till it was ready. Today I left it at 10AM and its now almost 11:30 PM and they still have it. I am wondering if they were just saying they did it and didn't do it. Oh well, as long as I have a rental I am okay for now. But it better be fixed when I get it back.. I will print out this last post and show it to them if they are still having problems.
  • alsterlingalsterling Member Posts: 18
    Rakamm.......Thank the dealer for reinforcing our low opinion of the dealer service system. On Monday, I took my van into my local Firestone dealer. My right front caliper stuck at 13k miles. The Firestone repair shop is 5 minutes from our home. I "stood there" while the tech pulled all the wheels, inspected, explained what he found and why it happened, and did the brake repair, and oil change, in front of me. I was in and out in two hours, and know for a fact that all bolts were torqued to spec.

Maybe it's because I used to work on my own vehicles when I was younger. But moreso, it's because, unlike an FAA certified aircraft mechanic, auto repair techs aren't always QC oriented. And when you've got to use the "Wizard of Oz" dealer system, where you first go through a non-tech service writer administrator, then hope that the work order is properly explained to the service tech, and then are invited to sit in a high priced waiting area with bad coffee.................I think you get the idea. That's why some of the best mechanics leave the dealerships and go out on their own!
  • cinann131cinann131 Member Posts: 27
    I have been experiencing the whistling noise on my '08 T&C since day 2, which was in late December. Had it to the dealer only once and they were "unable to duplicate" the problem so no attempt to repair was made. I've been holding off taking it back in the hope that from these posts I would see that the problem can be taken care of once and for all before going back...In the meantime, I did follow a suggestion to tape off the two seams where the silicone fix would go, but lo and behold, still whistled! Any other suggestions? I am in hot, humid southeast Florida and it whistles everyday from 40mph+, but stops immediately if you let off of the accelerator....help? Anyone? Thanks!
    Are you saying you've read ALL MY POSTS on the "honking geese sound", and your issue doesn't relate to that at all? Taping off the A-pillars doesn't mean you isolated the cavity area that's causing the issue. Just get the sealing done, (no cost to you), and then you can move on to other possibilities. I presume you dont' have a sunroof or luggage rack?
  • cinann131cinann131 Member Posts: 27
    Geez. I did not mean to imply that my issue doesn't relate to the A-pillars! I pray that that IS the cause. An earlier post suggested first taping off the sides of the windshield to see if the whistling stopped before attempting the silicone and that sounded reasonable! Guess you haven't read all of my posts...I posted one of the first whistling problems on the '08's. I do have a luggage rack but not a sunroof. We have moved the cross beams to various locations as suggested by our dealer and the whistling continued. We then removed them completely, and that did not stop the whistling. I was simply putting out the post to everyone with the whistling problem to see if anyone else had had success taping the sides first. Or maybe did not have success with taping the sides first but then did have success with silicone. Like everyone else, we're just trying to get the problem fixed with the least hassle and trying to avoid appointment after appointment to the service department with no resolution. Thanks.
    Cinn....

Yes, I read your orig. post and remembered that you were one of the first that referred to this issue. That's why I was confused as to why you'd not have reached a resolution by now? I will never have patience for factory ignorance at the dealer level as I've seen demonstrated AGAIN with this issue. One more time.......you don't have to prove a darn thing to the dealer. They just have to do the fix. It's that simple! It was recognized by Chrysler engineering. If they can't find the information on their system as I posted, then tell them to contact David Wang, Chrysler, and talk to the engineer that figured all this out. After the dealer demonstrates to you that they followed the Chrysler guidelines, THEN....if you hear the same noise, you'll at least know you've eliminated one more possible variable. If you sense frustration, it's with Chrysler, not you. I appreciate finding this site, you and all the others that contributed to this subject. I'm going to opted out of this forum, as I'm not getting paid a consulting fee by Chrysler........although I can assure you that they could use the help!
    The following tech service bulletin number for "windshield noise" on the 2008 Chrysler Dodge van product was sent to me today by Chrysler engineering:

The TSB no. is 23-023-08

To the best of my knowledge, they will be able to bill this work without duplicating the malfunction on your particular vehicle.

Good luck, Al
  • sean9sean9 Member Posts: 82
    I recently had the oil changed in my 08 GC by the dealer, not even 2 days after the change engine oil warning/prompt at startup is back on. The oil looks clean on the dip stick. I am guessing a bad sensor. Anyone else experience this. Why they even bother with these sensors for oil change is beyond me.
  • ladydawgs96ladydawgs96 Member Posts: 2
    My guess is that they forgot to reset the sensor. It is supposed to turn on at about 4k miles from the time it was reset. You can reset it by turning the key to the on position, but not starting the car, and pressing the gas 3 times slowly within 10 secs. Then turn the key to the off postition and start the car. (This is from the owner's manual)
    Thanks :) However if this warning is based on miles driven why 4000 miles (6400km) when the owners manual only asks for oil changes every 10000km or 6200miles??
    Very confusing as this is the first vehicle where the oil change interval is so long. It used to be every 5000KM, now they ask for every 10000KM. Being a lease all I want it warrantee, so 10000km it is, but if I owned I probably would be changing it more often than that!
  • tiger3ptiger3p Member Posts: 30
    How do you use this TSB? Do one just go up to the dealer and say I have a windshield problem and here's the TSB no?
  • rktechrktech Member Posts: 25
    Hi guys...
    ...ok, ok I'm 10 days into the new Chrysler T&C Limited.

Nothing out of the ordinary to report here. I did a very hot midday highway run up to Peoria and back...roughly 150 miles...at 75 mph plus without any highway windshield whine (thank god). All the bells and whistles seem to be doing what they are reported to be able to do. I haven't figured out the bluetooth/handsfree stuff, nor the Nav system, BUT I have gotten the seats and pedals and belts and steering wheel and mirrors and....well you get the idea...up to my driving position/perspective...

More later, but so far, so good !!
  • clubguyclubguy Member Posts: 15
    How does one remove the front overhead console..the one near the front windshield...I wish to hard wire a radar detector to a hot wire under this console...
  • macusermacuser Member Posts: 23
    Picked up my new T&C Touring Friday (after driving 200 miles to get it)...(it had 400+ miles on it) and when we got home I backed it up before putting it in the garage and heard this awful "growling" noise when passing through to Reverse. Back and forth several times and it kept making this noise when I passed or stopped in Reverse...just for a moment, not a continuous noise. I think it may be related to the backup camera, but didn't hear it this morning...when it was cold (garaged overnight).

Anyone else have that problem? Is it "normal"? :confuse:
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    I also hear an interesting noise at times when going into reverse. But only from time to time, not always. More often when it's raining. As usual, my dealer could not "duplicate the problem".
    I am glad you posted this because I have been four times now and its still making the noise. This time they bought new plastice seals around the wind shield and a new wind shield, but still making noise. I am not sure how much more of this I can take. I am going to go in on Wednesday and give them that number and lets see what they say!
    So has anyone had any positive experience with the dealership fix to the whistling noise?
    No I took it in yesterday actually for the 5th time for the whistling, They told me next month they will have an enginier there and that they would call me the day he was there and maybe he could fix it! But I am just so tired of taking it in almost every other week! So yeah I still have the whistling noise!
  • wzman1wzman1 Member Posts: 8
    So has anyone had any positive experience with the dealership fix to the whistling noise?

Yes. Read the forum topic on Honking Noise Specific to 2008 models.

Local dealer KNEW what the problem was with little description required, and applied fix which fixed the problem (applied silicon sealant in gap between windshield gasket and A-pillar). Have no idea if service manager knew about the problem from previous encounters or because of the elusive TSB,

5 minute fix. No whistle or honk since the repair.
  • honeydoo88honeydoo88 Member Posts: 4
    We have the same problem with our 3 week old 2008 T&C Limited. What is the TBS number?
  • rjomrjom Member Posts: 21
    My tire pressure indicator light keeps coming on and staying on (then may go off for a few days). My tires are 29.5 (1) and 30.5 (3). I do not believe I have a leak. The tires display max pressure at 44lbs, and a warning not to exceed 40lbs on the tire wall. No where do I see recommended pressure on these tires. Anyone have any ideas what the pressure should be? Seems like they should be higher than 30lbs, but I am pretty sure they came this way. Thanks, Rick.
  • cpr6779cpr6779 Member Posts: 3
    rjom-
    Check the sticker on the driver's side door (the part of the door that you can only see when open). Mine (and most likely yours too) says that all tires should be set at 36 PSI.

With the weather turning cooler, I suspect lots of people will soon have the TPMS lights illuminated

Hope this helps!
    Thanks, will do that and report back.
    Yes, 36lbs it is, and instrument panel warning now off. Thanks
  • techdtechd Member Posts: 4
    Uh, actually no the profits don't all go back to Tokyo at all since Toyota has shareholders all around the world. I might also point out that 16% of the company is owned by US shareholders. So the profits actually go all over the world to many different countries where there are shareholders.
    Toyota doesn't pay out all their profits to shareholders anyways, since they plow much of their profits back into R&D and building those new plants in the United States, so claiming that all the profits go to Tokyo is just plain ridiculous especially since the profits go to a lot of American retirement funds since mutual funds own plenty of Toyota stock.
    Japanese companies own stakes in plenty of public American companies too, so it's not like profits always stay in the US even if you buy stuff from an American company. Plenty of companies are part owned by foreign corporations and individuals.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter is looking to interview owners of a 2007 or 2008 minivan, SUV or crossover that is loaded with two or more high-tech features such as a navigation system, DVD player, heated mirrors, parking sensors, rear view cameras, iPod connectivity, radio data system, Bluetooth, satellite radio, tire pressure monitoring, universal garage door opener, Sync, etc. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com before Friday, October 10, 2008 with your daytime contact information and a few words about your vehicle.
  • ybnormalybnormal Member Posts: 2
    We just purchased a used 2008 GC SXT with 15K on the OD. Stow n Go, motorized sliding doors and adjustable pedals were what convinced us, along with a very quite and stable ride.

The day we brought it home, the ETC light came on. After reading the owners manual, where it says to "immediately return it to the dealer" if this happens, we brought it in. The dealer provided a loaner as we had a few other minor items that needed fixing (rear wiper didn't wipe across the top portion, 2nd row seats missing the plastic leg covers, tire rotation needed) and my wife picked it back up the following day...and the light was off. The dealer gave no explanation as to why it was on in the first place, but I haven't had a chance to speak to them yet either.

This is now week two and last night, the ETC light came on again. No rain, temps in the low 60s. When it happens, the throttle response becomes non-linear in that you really can't judge the acceleration that will be provided based on foot pressure, so this is clearly a safety issue. Plus, it feels like it is ideling a bit rough so I suspect that gas mileage is suffering also.

The onlly corralation we can think of for the moment is it may have something to do with the adjustable pedals. There is about a 10" difference in height between my wife and I, so she moves the pedals all the towards the seat when she drives. I had been driving the van earlier that day, and she had to move the pedals up when she drove it last night. I had been out of the country the previous week so the action of moving the pedals never had to occur since we brought it home.

We will be taking it back in today and hopefully they will be able to see the history in the ECU via the OBDII port connection.

I'd like to hear if anyone besides the 3 posts to date have experienced this issue, and if you did, did the dealer give any insight as to the cause? Do you also have adjustable pedals and did you perhaps use them perior to light coming on?

Regards,
    Scott
    I may be one of the three people who posted earlier. I brought it to the dealer, they hooked it up to the computer, and could find no "incident." They said it was probably a faulty light. I had no symptoms of acceleration like you describe. I drove the car about 100 miles with the light on. The dealership told me that when they hook it up to the computer they can see everything that has happened with the car, and what triggered the alert (nothing in my case). I would push them a little more on what the cause is. It sounds like in your case there really is a problem with the throttle, since that is what the light is supposed to alert for, and you witnessed it while driving. Everything is so computerized now it they should be able to diagnose it, and fix it. I can tell you that I am the only one to drive the car, and do not adjust the pedals.
  • ybnormalybnormal Member Posts: 2
    We got the van back last Friday after leaving it with them overnight. Turns out, we were right about the adjustable pedals, as they were "pinching a wire" under the throttle pedal. They had to replace the wire, adjust the location of the wire, and then recalibrate the ETC. So, for anyone else out there that experiences an ETC light, and you have adjustable pedals, print this out and have them take a look at it.

At least I got them to give me a free tank of gas for the multiple trips back.

And FYI...we really love the van to date. Very solid, very quiet, and very comfortable.
    Have had our 2008 T&C Limited for about two months now. Having a problem with Books on CD's. The CD, when the van is turned off, does not return to where you left off when returning to the car. This is so frustrating having to remember what chapter you were at and then spending all the time getting to it. The strange thing is 2% of the time it has picked up. I have had it to the dealership, written Chrysler and no resolve. Has anyone had a similiar problem and if so is there a fix?
  • jmf4jmf4 Member Posts: 3
    We bought a 2008 Dodge Caravan in April. It only has 3500 miles on it now. We noticed the same noise everyone else on this forum seems to be hearing. We first noticed it in June on the highway at about 65 to 70 miles an hour. It sounded like an air conditioning belt sqealing. Shut a/c off and it still continued. Turned off all air and still noise. It sounds like it is coming through venting system up dash area. It is quite loud. We haven't taken it to garage yet. We figured it was going to be impossible for the average mechanic to figure it out. I am hoping an answer turns up on this board that I can take to dealership. I thought the noise was created by air draft from semi, but it continues even when no traffic around. Hope we can find out what the cause is. It is very annoying.
    "like holding a leaf of grass to the lips and blowing" This is exactly the sound that is coming through the dash of my 2008 Dodge Caravan that I bought in April and only has 3500 miles on it. I noticed noise in June on highway at about 65 - 70 mph. Thought it was an a/c belt squealing. Turned a/c off and noise still there. Turned off all air and still noise. Closed vents and still the noise. I thought it was a draft off a semi or other traffic and it still continued when no traffic around me. Very annoying. Doesn't make the noise all the time. My husband just drove it to PA and back and he said it didn't make noise. Hope someone can figure it out. Haven't gone to dealer with it, figured they wouldn't know what was wrong with it and would pull dash all apart and not put it back together nice and neat.
    Take it to the dealer. There is a service bulletin on it. We had the same problem. Since fixed we have not experienced any noise. We had our Chrysler T&C Limited less than two weeks when this started. Only happened when there was a crosswind. Good luck.
    Where can I find and read the service bulletin on this noise in the new caravans?
    The TBS Bulletin No is: 23-023-08. Take this number to the dealership. It takes about an hour for them to apply silicone along each side of the windshield. We have not had any problem since.
  • robin1111robin1111 Member Posts: 1
    this is driving me crazy...have you come up with anything??
    Very interesting, I Have the same problem, but only with certain MP3 CD's. It drives me NUTS!!

Chrysler has so many problems with these new vans. I already have almost 10,000 miles, and experienced so many annoying problems. I wish I could change to a different company but no other minivan offer that much entertainment options (yet).

They for sure need to update/improve the MyGig system completely from scratch. It makes SOOO MANY problems.

Chrysler!!! Are you listening??
  • tedebeartedebear Member Posts: 832
    They for sure need to update/improve the MyGig system completely from scratch. It makes SOOO MANY problems.

Such as? I have a MyGIG in my Sebring and I think it is one of the coolest additions to any vehicle I've ever owned. I probably would not have purchased it if it didn't have the MyGIG.

I have done several software application updates to keep up with the latest upgrades but the MyGIG in my Sebring has been a fun toy to play with and a convenient resource when driving.
    I also enjoy it very much, and was one of my major reasons to take the T&C over other minivans. As long as it works, that is.

I have had so many problems with it since week 1. I also keep it updated with the latest versions. Many times the GPS refuses to work. I was once in an unfamiliar area and asked the system to "Guide me home", but it was calculating the route for more than 20 minutes, until I shut it off. I had to use my Verizon Wireless VZ Navigator which worked perfectly. That's besides that the VZW has always updated information and nearly 13 million POI which I think is more than double than those of Chrysler's. And recently I got an offer from Chrysler that they updated many roads and added millions of POI's, but they're asking for the update CD a whooping $200. No, thanks.

Then I have many problems with my volume. Many times i turn on my system, everything shows up but you can't hear anything. Even the volume does not show up on the LCD. The only thing I could do is wait a few hours until it kind of "resets" itself to a regular functioning unit. This makes me so crazy.

Then I have a problem with my Uconnect system. When I get the first phone call, or dial out for the first time after starting the van, there is no sound from the system until I hang up, and only then I hear the "Phone call completed" notification which means that from that point on I could make phone calls as usual. By the way, this problem appeared only after my last update of the MyGig system. It was very good before.

In overall, the interface, the LCD resolution, the features, all are much behind competitors. Examples include:

- Does not read the phone book from your cell phone;
    - Does not read the picture ID from your cell phone;
    - You can not see during song playback a progress bar so you have no clue how long this song will take to end.
    - You can not sort your songs in a particular order (Alphabetical, for example). I have some MP3's in order like: 1) 08.mp3, 2) 02.mp3, 3) 11.mp3, and so on, in no specific order.
    - The hard drive is very noisy at times. Sounds like the computers with hard drives of 20 years ago. It's time to move to flash based drives, especially in a moving vehicle.

There is so much more. I don't remember everything at the moment. In general. when you should read some reviews and comparisons about navigation systems and entertainment systems, most reviewers will agree that Chrysler's are from the bottom on list.
    Anyone experience a leak around the area of their rad cap? The dealership has changed my rad cap 2 times thinking it was the problem, but I noticed antifreeze on the driveway today and alot of spray in the area of the rad cap. I took a mirror and looked for a crack in the plastic, leaky hose, etc could not see it. Back to the dealership it goes. Almost seems like once the cap heats up the antifreeze escapes out the sides of the rad cap somehow.. :sick:
  • cpr6779cpr6779 Member Posts: 3
    We had the same problem. I noticed the red fluid on the driveway when there was about 100 miles on the vehicle. The dealer replaced the rad cap, and we have been trouble free for the past 7900 miles. Sorry to hear that 2 new caps later you are still having trouble. They do say three times a charm - Good luck!
  • frank944frank944 Member Posts: 2
    I took my 2004 town country to the dealer, they said I need to the brake light bulb, trans service, power steering service and fuel injection service, I know I need to replace transmission service in the dealer, what happend the power steering, do I need replace it or can I add it, what type of power steering u suggest? what color the power steering fluids? what is fuel injection service? is that the same as plug? thanks.
    Not sure all that your asking here but, Power Steering Fluid may need to be replaced once it deteriorates just like the oil in your engine. All fluids have a life limitation on them and will not do their jobs accordingly unless they are changed out with new fluid. Power Steering fluid is a sealed system, which means it should not be losing or gaining any fluid in the reservoir at any time, if you notice the level is dropping consistently you have a leak and it needs to be fixed, adding (topping up) the reservoir is only a temporary fix.
    Fuel injector service pertains to the fuel injectors themselves. These injectors shoot gasoline into your cylinders at presice time intervals and volume according to the the demand. They can become clogged or partially blocked which requires, cleaning or even replacing to ensure your engine is running the way it should. This can effect your fuel mileage as well. So no this is not the same as servicing on your spark plugs. Those are usually a change out item and they may do this with a fuel injection service you will have to ask.
    I have found a few other forums on the net in regards to this problem. Seems like we are not the only ones. Nothing like taking your vehicle in for the same problem 3 or 4 times. They better be able to fit me into the schedule tomorrow and get this fixed. :mad:
    I have a question. What if I sit in my van full of passengers and I get a phone call on the Uconnect system. This discussion can not be for the public, so I want to answer it on my cell phone, not through the van's speakers. Is there a way to do it?

Most other bluetooth systems DO have it.
  • jeffuhdejeffuhde Member Posts: 10
    Don't remember the exact procedure, but you can disconnect your Bluetooth from the Uconnect system. Check your owners manual (think it's in the separate manual for the radio/MyGig) under the Bluetooth section. It tells you how to transfer the calls back and forth from your cell phone to the Uconnect.
  • tedebeartedebear Member Posts: 832
    This discussion can not be for the public, so I want to answer it on my cell phone, not through the van's speakers. Is there a way to do it?

Here is what it says in the online MyGIG owner's manual. I've never noticed if there's a mute button but you could probably just turn down the volume control.

UConnect allows you to transfer calls between the
    system and your cellular phone as you enter or exit your
    vehicle, and enables you to mute the system’s microphone
    for private conversations.

Hmm...now that I've studied that I think it is referring to muting the call so that you can talk to someone inside the vehicle and not let the person on the phone hear you. Anyway, you might try turning down the volume control on the MyGIG and seeing if you can still hear the person through the phone.

A lot of information in the online manual. Here's something else:

Transfer Call to Cellular Phone
    The UConnect system allows ongoing calls to be transferred
    to your cellular phone without terminating the
    call.
    To transfer an ongoing call from the UConnect system to
    your UConnect paired cellular phone:
    1. Press the VR hard-key (bargin-in).
    2. Say TRANSFER CALL
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    An advertising agency would like to speak with satisfied Chrysler Town and Country drivers. If you own or regularly drive one of these vehicles, please respond to jwahl@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than Friday, October 31st.
  • deirdrefdeirdref Member Posts: 9
    Anyone in winter climates putting winter / snow tires on the 08 T&C? Any suggestions or deals in the Toronto area?
  • clubguyclubguy Member Posts: 15
    On occasion the power rear hatch closes about 6", stops and returns to full open. It's as if something is blocking the hatch but of course nothing is in the way.. Manually closing the door and powering it thru the open-close sequence it may do the same thing or close as if there was never a problem....It's happening more frequently; about 15% of the time....Any thoughts or owners that have experienced the same symptoms...???