Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Rabbit Log

eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
edited August 2014 in Volkswagen
I decided to stop posting in the 'new owners' section to give my monthy reports on my bunny and how she's doing. Service updates will be available too. It seems i have one of the higher mileage rabbits here so hopefully this helps new owners out!

Comments

• eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    Well i've finally got over the 10k mark. (mind you this happened a couple weeks ago, just haven't been here in awhile!)

Total logged miles are around 11300. For anyone with a new bunny, your 10k service is gonna be kinda pricey. Called other dealers to verify if mine was ripping me off, but no its just kinda costly. Then again this is a car that only needs to be serviced every 10k.(after the inital 5k and 10k services.)

No problems at all, in fact windshield wiper thingy is the only thing that has remotely been an issue and it was fixed, or adjusted is more like it, under warranty.

Also getting better mileage. Last tank got me 29mpg.
  • reuel3reuel3 Member Posts: 114
    Out of curiosity, how pricey did the 10k service run? (If you don't mind sharing.)
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    I did not have a problem with the 10K service price for our Jetta (which is the same as Rabbit). 10K is just (synthetic) oil change and tire rotation. Ours was about $65, which was about $20 more than the 5K, which was only an oil change.

The synthetic oil changes cost about double what I am used to paying for other cars, but cost does not bother me since the OCI is 10K or 12 months.
    No not at all! I believe that they may have charged a bit more for labor since it was a saturday, but it came out to 140 and some change. It was a far cry from the 10-20 extra bucks the service manager said it would be over my regular service intervals. (which were 60 bucks.)I'm in the process right now of getting to the bottom of it, although my invoice for what needed to be done matches the vw manual (not the dealers) for the rabbit as far as what should be done when!
    Whoa! I dunno how different the rabbit could be, but mine certainly werent that! (See above post.) But then again the dealer told me it would be more costly and made it sound like it was exclusive to the rabbit. I gotta find out about it.

Man 10k = 12 months for you? Thats awesome. My wife and i have had our bunny since the beggining of october and have almost 12k on her!
    We do not put a lot of miles on our cars. Actually we will be getting the 20K service at 18K...will only have about 8000 miles in the second year.

IIRC, another dealer I had called wanted $130 for the 10K service. Did not ask why they wanted that much for an oil change and tire rotation.

I doubt there are any differences in scheduled maintenance, the cars are the same mechanically. Some dealers just like to pack on extras or overcharge for inspections/checks that are listed in the maintenance schedule.
    Understood, but according to the manual more happens than just an oil change and tire rotation. Out of curiosity what trim level is your jetta? VE, 2.5, wolfsburg etc.
    Right the other stuff is inspect this and check that, which was done without any additional charge. 20K has longer list of inspections and checks, plus replace cabin filter...this will be $180 at my dealer after a 10% discount coupon and that is with some extras that are not required, like rebalance wheels and check alignment.

Our Jetta is a 2005.5 VE.
    gotcha. If you have the ve our cars were probably around the same price.(we just prefer a hatch and there were no ve's on the lot, just a lot of decked out 2.5's and TDI's.)

Geez 180? Its a good thing the service is only every 10k!
    No, no...the $180 is for the 20K at my dealer.
    I know. I just meant that its good that we only have to go EVERY 10k to get our service done. (except ofcourse for the inital 5k visit.)
    Have almost 13k on the bunny, actual odometer reads 12755.
    No problems so needless to say i'm happy.

Only averaged 26.4 mpg on last tank, which is less than i'm used to, but this tank looks more promising. ( I usually can predict how good a tank will be judging by how close to 100 miles i can get before only having 3/4ths of a tank left. So far i have about 110 on it and its just barely touching the line, my best was 120 miles, and i averaged 29 on that tank. I did floor it a lot on my 26 mpg tank though so its no biggie.)

I decided to call around to some dealers to find out how much the 20k service was going for, to compare it to what the dealer i got to would charge me. It is as follows:

10k(i've already had this done but this is just for the sake of comparison.)
    Keffer vw:(dealer i have been going to) $129.95 (no tax or labor included.)
    Flow Vw: same

Keffer Vw: 180.95
    Flow Vw: 129.95

here is the scary part:(and no i didn't ask for it they just let me know before hand, both dealers, that it was going to be big.)

40k:
    Keffer vw: $580.99
    Flow Vw: $ Same!

Good grief! I remember on my old civic, the 'big one' was about 100 bucks! Rabbit owners be prepared, this is going to cost you a buttload. I called a place in charlotte, nc that a co-worker suggested i tried out, since they had been doing service on vw's for a long time. Called em up and they phased out their service dept. The guy reffered me to another german import place, and told me that the newer vee dubs were hard to service, since vw is very tight lipped about relasing info on em so that they dealers can get all the buisness. This guy i spoke to, though, said he has worked on plenty of 06's and is good to go to service the bunny.

He quoted me less than 100 bucks for every 10k service interval and the 'big service' will run me a little more. Thank goodness i was able to locate this guy! (he is closer to me than the dealer i have been going to and i read up on him and have heard some great things.)

Hopefully this will work out better. I hope that everyone else is able to find someone to take a look at their bunnies in the future, if not, you'll pay a pretty penny!

I sill love my car though! ;)
    I remember on my old civic, the 'big one' was about 100 bucks!

And this was when...1976? There is no way that 60,000 mile service (which is the big one on most models, including Honda) is $100 on any car.

BTW, edmunds.com comes up with $343 for 40,000 mi. They also estimate $210 on 20,000 mi...which is on target with what I was quoted for 20K (for Jetta), so I am assuming they are in the ballpark on the 40,000 mi.

It looks like 40,000 mile over 20,000 mile adds spark plug replacement, air filter replacement, and perhaps they included brake fluid replacement. I guess I'd verify the difference between 20K and 40K (in the owner's manual) and then ask them why changing plugs, air filter and perhaps brake fluid (if that is correct) adds $400 or more to the cost.
    sorry jeff, when i said big one i was reffering to the most expensive i ever had to pay for serive on my older civic. Which doensn't make sense since the first time i used it i used it in reference to a 50k or 60k service. My bad.

Even so, i was always quoted a lot cheaper for the honda.

I've asked them and they have seem to reply that it is something exclusive to the rabbit, i dunno why but that what they have told me. There are very few vw dealers around here, (both the ones i'm speaking of are about an hour away in opposite directons.), so maybe they feel like they have a bit more leverage with me. Even so, the edmunds quoted 343 is still a heck of a lot more than anything i've ever done honda oriented, but yeah all that extra is pretty fishy. Then again my rabbit is an 07, the edmunds is an 06, dunno if that has something to do with it, maybe dealers around there have to be more competative.

Still dunno if the whole 'exclusive to the rabbit' service is true, probably a load of caca.

At anyrate, i found someone who will do it for cheaper and is quite skill, so i'll update everyone then.

Hit 13k today. Nice.
    You were really lucky if you never had a bill over $100 on a car...unless this was a new car that you only owned for 2-3 years.

I sure know people who seem to get pretty big maintenance bills on Hondas and Toyotas, even at 30K. In fact I recall having said to them that their 30K was almost as much as 60K on Ford Windstar we have...which was about $500.

I don't see anything on the rabbit maintenance list at vw,com that is any different from our Jetta, unless you have DSG or tire pressure monitoring.

I was thinking today about how much the 20K service should cost. I figured about $50 for the synthetic oil change, $50 for cabin filter, and $20 for tire rotation...and then I thought I would allow $0 to $50 for all the inspections and checks. So I could see anywhere from $120 to $170, my dealer charges $180 after the discount coupon and they include extras like wheel balance and alignment check. So I decided the $180 is okay with me.

Be sure you keep reciepts for the non-dealer service and be sure they are using synthetic oil that meets VW specs.
    Be sure you keep reciepts for the non-dealer service and be sure they are using synthetic oil that meets VW specs.

Don't worry i sure will!

I was thinking today about how much the 20K service should cost. I figured about $50 for the synthetic oil change, $50 for cabin filter, and $20 for tire rotation...and then I thought I would allow $0 to $50 for all the inspections and checks. So I could see anywhere from $120 to $170, my dealer charges $180 after the discount coupon and they include extras like wheel balance and alignment check. So I decided the $180 is okay with me.

Its not horrible, but when you are coming from a honda that only cost me about 60 for all of the mentioned above, it is kinda a big hit. But its ok, i found my mechanic so i'll be sticking with him.
    over 13 k now, and still lovin her! Filled up with just at 13 gallons on this tank and hopefully i'll break the 30mpg mark.

My last tank was 12.8 gallons and i managed about 320 miles, which brought me to about 25mpg, which is just ok, but i did drive a little more than the last quarter of a tank on nothing but city streets, so i think i would have gotten well over 350 had it been my usuall highway jaunt; which would insinuate that my mpg are steadily improving.

Some accessorizing (man i know i spelled that one wrong! :blush:) is on the way, hopefully i'll even be able to post some pics!

I just ordered the vw rabbit monster mats, which are great for the rainy season. I wanted to get the regular carpet floor mats, but they were pricey and drivergear had them back ordered until april. (same for the monsters.) so i found a website (1stvwparts.com) and they had them in stock, so i should be getting them soon. I was a bit resiliant to getting all season mats, but after my puppy figured he can jump the backseat of the hatch while we were driving and subsequently take a poop on the floor, i think the ability to just hose em down will come in handy. They have a similar styled mat for the hatch which i will be looking into as well!

I wanted some taillights in the same vein as the silver ones avail for the jetta, but the rabbit only has the darkened r32 styled ones which don't offer THAT much of a contrast. (i've seen some aftermarkets, but they just don't have that clean oem feel.)

Some 17's are in order (either the goal's or the stock gti rims) or even 18's(prob the kharthoum model.) I'd like to get the larger spoiler available as well.

I'm really wanting to replace the side moldings to body colored gti-ones, i know the 4 door has em, but there is no mk5 in 2 door guise that isn't a gti that usually has them. I just like the clean look. After that, comes the votex kit from vee dub themselves and my rabbit will be complete.

I'll probably be nearing or more than likely exceeding 13500 after this weekend so i'll keep everyone posted as far as problem go.

The clicking in the back by the gas cap sometimes still rears its head but its no biggie.

One thing that has caught my eye is ;gasp; of all things an electrical glitch. Every so often, and this is very rare as its only happened twice, the light on my drivers side door that blinks when the car is armed will sometimes stay on just after getting into the car or turning it off and getting out of it. Activating the alarm or deactivating it usually makes it stop but this is a little something that has no explanation, but isn't really a big deal either.

I'd still take this and the 5 sec windshield wiper fix over my broken visors in the civic and having the dealer order them in the wrong color so i had to wait forever to get them fixed. (they never were, traded in the car like that.)

Ok, eldaino out.
    15k and i just experienced my best tank yet: 362 miles on a little less than 13 gallons, driving about 85% highway. I averaged about 28 mpg. No problems at all with the car, although i now have to reset the service reminder that was done improperly at my last dealer visit.

I belive i'm going to do the oil change myself once 20k rolls around. I already found a site that has the filters in stock and vwvortex.com has detailed pictures on it being done so it should be a snap. The booklet calls for a tire rotation, which will be easy too, and topping off the fluids. No sweat, i'll let everyone know how it goes!
    About a month ago I posted:

Well, I had my 20,000 mile service. Ended up being $187, before taxes and fees. But then I noticed pollen/cabin filter was not shown on the list of parts on the reciept. I called and asked about this and was told "we don't include that in the package because not all VW's have a cabin filter". I complained that their coupon said "includes all VW 20,000 mile maintenance and the maintenance schedule has cabin filter on it". I complained some more and said there was no way I would have agreed to the $200 package had I known it did not include the cabin filter and then just said I would not be paying for that package again and hung up. A few minutes later the service manager calls back and tells me, if I stop in they will do the cabin filter.

So in future, I will go back to my former habit of ordering service "ala cart". Next year it will go in for "oil change and rotation", no more asking for 10,000, 20,000, 40,000 maintenance.

If there is a charge for it, I will pay the dealer for the 48 mo./40,000 mile inspections and checks, just in case they would actually find a problem that is covered by warranty.
    sorry about that jeffyscott, i gotta check my service receipts and see if that was done!
    It's not that it is a big deal whether it was done or not...it won't affect the operation of the vehicle or warranty...after a while the air coming in through the filter will smell bad, though. My issue is I thought the price I was given included that, otherwise I would not have taken their package deal. And I know I did refer to my understanding that the the VW 20,000 mile included cabin filter, oil change, tire rotation when I was checing on the price there vs. another dealer.

At least they are going to make it right, so I will get what I thought I was paying for.
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    daino,i have 4,000 miles on my 07 which i purchased in oct 06....my mileage isn't very good in the city at about maybe 20 if that.it's somewhat better on the highway at about 26.hopefully after reading your post my gas milaege will improve as i put more miles on the car as you have...
    hey steve good to hear from ya! I didn't realize that you got yours in oct too!

My gas mileage isn't stellar, but for the car and what it is rated at, it does pretty good. I usually don't figure my city mileage, but my tanks average 27-28 mpg driving about 80% highway. The best i got was 29.somthing mpg and it was a 95% highway trip.
    well folks, the bunny is nearing his time for his next service.

As i mentioned in other posts, the service interval came up when i neared 15k, when the serive manual does not call for it until 20, so i took the liberty of resetting it myself.

I had to add some castrol syntec, the oil wasn't super low, but it was at a point to where it wouldn't hurt to add some.

I took a trip to asheville a couple of weeks ago, used cruise control, and took it realatively easy; going about 70-75 miles the whole way. I got about 370 miles to a tank on 12 1/2 gallons of gas...resulting in an al time high of 30 mpg. Granted this trip was 95 percent freeway, with a bit of city driving all done very cautiously, as to not hurt mileage. On monday, my wife and i had our normal 30 mile commute so this helped a bit too.

I realized the other day how often i spend driving fast; on the 85 freeway here in nc, its pretty much impossible to go below 70 mph. I regularly drive at 80 even. I belive that even better mileage than what i currently average, (which is 27-28 to a tank) is possible if the conditions were more favorable, which would help me exceed epa estimates. (going by the new ones too, but, as my trip to asheville demonstrated, with a little restraint, even the old ones are possible too!)

Alas i think that my time with the bunny is ending despite its ability to be right on par with the epa's numbers...the closest volkswagen dealers are now quoting 250 dollars for the 20k service; which is truly ridiculous.

There is a local mechanic who works on vw's, and has done a few newer jettas, but i will be his first new rabbit if i go to him. And even he is planning on charging me about 80 bucks for an oil change/tire rotation.

I am undertaking the task of changing the oil myself, for economical reasons, not because i feel totally comfortable with servicing the car myself. (like i did with my honda's), but because it is just too much money to waste on a car. If i had no bills aside from the regular ones like phone, car payment, insurance etc...then maybe putting the service on a credit card and paying it off wouldn't be so bad...but the principal of having paid so much to begin with is still there.

it is with regret, then, that i belive this to be my last vw. Not because the car has not been reliable, because it has, and not because the driving experience was not exceptional,not because the fit and finish for the price was literally ASTOUNDING, and not because the car is a peppy and an engaging drive;....no, its becasue the cost of ownership of this car counteracts its affordable price tag.

I still have about a year or a little less to go with him, so i will thorougly enjoy this solid little ride...but the sooner i can part with him from, the better (from a financial standpoint.)

As far as the oil change goes, i'll have to order the filters online at a german auto parts store, which will be done this week.

More updates to follow.

-dain
    the sooner i can part with him from, the better (from a financial standpoint.)

Trading your car in for new one is not likely to be a money saving move, even if you do have to pay $80 for an oil change and tire rotation.
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    just my 2 cents here,i also own a 07 rabbit which i purchased in oct 06.it's been so far so good with only 4,000 miles on it so far due to me haveing a company car to use during the day.anyway,i realize that the oil changes for the rabbit at 80 bucks a shot are not cheap along with the other scheduled maintenence for the rabbit.however, i look at it this way,you don't do the oil changes every day.so even if it costs 80 bucks every six months to change the oil thats not a big deal to me.
    at a glance no, but by the time i do, i'll have some nice equity and a down payment ready, and more than likey lower my payment and how long i'll have to do it.
    hey steveo.

wow 4k since october? You don't drive much, i've more than tripled your driving distance!(my wife and i drive a lot)

if i'm not mistaken...you have not even had an oil change right? see thats the thing...vw scheduled maintanence AND oil changes happen at the same time, every 10k. (mind you, you will have to go for a 5k and then a 10k but after the 10k serivice, you shouldn't have to do until 20k and so on.)

The 80 dollars i mentioned is a ball park this local guy gave me...this is NOT going to the dealer. IF i were to go to the dealer it would be a heck of a lot more...and unfortunatley my situation is not like yours...in six months you have no need to go for service, whereas mine is like every 3 months! Maybe less.
    If you want to buy a new car, that is fine. Just don't fool yourself into thinking you are somehow saving money by doing so...you're not.
    more often than not, buying a new car means more money spent.

In the long run i'll be saving money no matter what, you statement, while correct in MOST situations, doesn't neccesarily apply to every situation.

I'll be sure that when the time comes, i will be on of the situations that is exempt. ;)
    the bunny forums have been dead as of late, so i decided to post a long needed update on my rabbit.

just passed 24k this past week. (yesterday's odo reading of 24444 was rather amusing ;) ) so i have officially exceeded the miles i put on my 06 civic in less time with the rabbit. (the civic was traded in with just under or over, i can't remember, 23k)

High miles yes, but hopefully this will be remedied when i secure a cheap reliable 2nd used car, like an old accord or something.

The bunny has been holding up remarkably well, but i think its time to take a trip to the dealer as the shocks/struts/bushings... something suspension oriented is making light squeaky sounds whenver bumps are hit. It does not seem to be a big deal, especially since its hardly even audible when the windows are up, even with no muscic on.

With the windows rolled down, you can hear it if you listen to it, but i'm hoping its a simply fix. Again nothing life threatening.

I averaged about 28 mpg on another tank again a couple of weekends ago, got about 340 on the tank. Hoping to exceed the record 360 this weekend.

Service reminder is coming up again, so i'll have to manually reset it...the next service interval is going to be taken care of by me again, as it calls for nothing different than the 20k service which i did myself as well.

the 40k calls for quite a bit more, by that time i should be good to just go ahead and take her to the dealer, just to ensure all's well.

more updates to come. And come on people start posting some stuff! :)
  • rallyfanrallyfan Member Posts: 36
    IS THE RABBIT GOING TO GET THE NEW 1.4 MOTOR THAT IS TURBO CHARGED AND BLOWN OR MAYBE ANOTHER VW THANKS RALLYFAN
    first,

YOU DONT HAVE TO TYPE LIKE THIS. it kind makes it sound like you are yelling, kay?

as of right now, the rabbit is not going to get the 1.4 in north america...we may not see any new motors until the mk6 rolls around.
  • esheleshel Member Posts: 1
    the european vw 1.4 motor with 140 hp equivalent to the german made engine for the US vw 2.5 with 150 hp,its TSI (direct injection, dual fed by a volumetric compressor and a turbo feeder) powerful small engine, fuel efficient, and made with the people in mind.
    It wont be seen in the US because gas here sucks, its broken down, its dirty and its octanage just too low. example: in europe you have 93, 95, 96, 97, and 98 octane gas, in the US we use 85, 89, 93 octane gas, I personally owned a 1992 fiat uno fitted with a lancia delta engine 1.5 in europe until 2 years ago and all i would give it was 98 octane gas. nobody i knew used 95 and not to mention 93!
    So a car built to use 98 aint going to be seen over here any time soon unless the government start thinking about the people and not about making more money by building crap heavy cars with huge overpowered engines :mad: that have no Use (because during the short lifespan of american cars :sick: "which is very short by the way" you will probably only use about 70 percent of all that power these gas gulping :lemon: power cars boast about) So all that 30 percent in unused power is the gas being consumed in every mile you go, even when you drive slow. this is the perfect circle big gas sucking cars, gas prices go up just when summer kicks in, heat helps evaporate gas quicker, more gas demand, us built cars go on sale, people buy, gas keeps going up and nobody does anything about it.
    so in the end who ends up with all our money?

and why has this become a game of misleading and misinforming consumers to buy a supposedly "gas efficient" truck\car?

This is the main reason why most European cars cant be brought to the US :cry:
    they would simply out sell the us market in most aspects.

I did feel a bit ripped off when i bought my 06 rabbit " which is really a mkV golf for heavens sake" (another smart move to keep selling the golf gls mk IV when the rest of the world doesnt produce them anymore.) because it only had 150 hp with a 2.5l engine come on! but what was I to expect?
    I bought it because even so its still german engineering... ;)
    well, first off, the 1.4 tsi is supercharged and turbocharged: it makes 170 hp. and while it does get better gas mileage, it would probably a nightmare to service and vw is trying to improve their reliability , not make it more complicated.

I did feel a bit ripped off when i bought my 06 rabbit " which is really a mkV golf for heavens sake" (another smart move to keep selling the golf gls mk IV when the rest of the world doesnt produce them anymore.) because it only had 150 hp with a 2.5l engine come on! but what was I to expect?
    I bought it because even so its still german engineering...

huh? an excuse to keep selling the mkIV gls? The Rabbit IS not the MkIV, its the MKV golf with a different badge limited to the U.S.

why do so many people find this difficult to understand? the rest of the world has this car as well, they just kept the golf name plate. But what you drive is still an MKV, wether is says golf or rabbit is irrelevant!!! :mad:

actually, its good that you are into the german engineering thing, because the mkIV's? they were pretty much mostly made

IN MEXICO.

get the facts straight man.

i do agree about gas guzzling suv's, but since most european cars are small and hatchbacks MOST americans wouldn't be too interested unfortunately.

plus, if we go by your logic, we cant drive them here anyway, because our gas is too dirty. :blush:
    Thats it for the bunny.

On thursday of last week, my wife and i traded in our car for....

a brand new honda fit. :)

love it to death, but totally understand its weaknesses and strenghts when compared to the rabbit.

got 13k for him even on dealer trade in.

what i miss: the impeccable materials used in the cabin, the amazingly quite ride, the smooth steering, the off the line torque, the low cruising revs, the simplicity of the desgin, the slighlty smoother tranny shifts, the feeling of solidity/ 130mph top speed.

Now what i DON"T miss: (you can guess what i like about the fit after reading this:) the less than stellar fuel economy (though i knew what i was getting into), the not so precise road feel, a rear seat that does not fold flat, a lack of high end power and low redline, the body roll, the lack of 2 doors (though the rabbit can obviously be had with 4.), the expensive serivice.

Needless to say, my experience with the rabbit has made me look at vw in a different light, a good one; instead of looking at them like 'Whoa! that would be cool to try, but i wouldn't own one'.

A great hatchback with some forgivable shortcomings. and by far the most luxurious car you can get for under 20k that isn't a used luxury car.

Bye sammie.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Congratulations! Hope this car fits you better. :)

So is this your third new car in about a year? Didn't you have a Civic before the Rabbit? For this kind of buying pattern, you might consider going the short-term lease route.
    thanks backy!

yeah, i dunno whats wrong with me, i should be a lease kinda guy!

But the fit should be staying with us for awhile, as the main reason we bought the rabbit when we did was back when fits were pretty much impossible to find! So its kinda like how things should have been. I plan on having him for a loooonnnggg time!

So far, he has fit much better! Still things i miss about the bunny, but the fit counteracts them in other areas.
  • sharpedgeshurtsharpedgeshurt Member Posts: 28
    Congrats Eldaino, I guess you wont be posting on the rabbit forum much anymore? I plan on keeping my Rabbit for at least 150k. We'll see what happens.
    thanks man! but don't worry, i frequent these threads and will never stop posting! i figure a year and 27k is enough to have some say-so in the rabbit forums!

my rabbit gave me no mechanical problems, so if you take car of her, 150k should be a snap!
  • shirotorishirotori Member Posts: 51
    I just had the 20,000 mile service on my 2007 Rabbit that I've had for 14 months. For the full service it cost me $218 in a smaller city in Wisconsin, though if I had had it done at another dealership near Chicago where I'm living now it would have cost me another $100 or so. A clamp in the driver-side window had loosened, but that was the only issue...of which it was very small. The Rabbit is running very well; it's been a very good purchase for me. I also had my windows tinted a while back and it makes the car look quite nice. :shades:
  • daylabordaylabor Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a rabbit, and so far I love the thing.

I've already got a question the dealer can't answer: if you put the key in the door and twist to unlock and hold it, the windows all open. Can you program the remote control to do this?

Thanks to anyone who has an answer!
    I believe this is a European feature. My German friend told me about this and then I asked my dealer (last year) and was told that this is not a feature on the North American or at least U.S. vehicles. The dealer could have been wrong though, so I suppose it's worth further investigation.
    Dealer won't want to do it because they do not want to mess around with, or risk making an error in, changing the coding. But in theory, it can be done. It can also be done with vagcom, I believe.

Look for "Comfort opening power windows via remote control active" in the list here: http://en.openobd.org/vw/golf_1k.htm
    i just was browsing the forums, decided to stop by.

still have the fit, have racked up over 30k in less than a year.

i figure my rabbit would have fared the same, it just would have been more expensive to do so.

we just got an 08 bug for my wife and she loves it, as it reminds her of sammie. it was nice getting back into a vee dub, and like i said before, they have thier very nice points. (and yes, we opted for the one time charge, and now we have free maintenence for the next 3 years regardless of mileage.)

so how is everyone's bunny doing? i may get back into one in a couple of years, probably an mk6, wether or not it'll be a gti remains to be seen.
    I have 22,000 miles on my 2007 5M Rabbit and am enjoying it a lot. I have had no trouble. It's been a great car thus far.
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    Rabbit Log: 2200 hours, 997 miles:

August 13th:

Observed and driven 2008 Rabbit 4 door automatic for 30 days. No problems noted, except for 2 moderately-deep half-inch scratches on rear bumper caused by lame attempt to load road bike through rear hatch.

A bit more power desired. Should have bought a GTI.

Will do better next time.

Over and out.
  • eldaino2eldaino2 Member Posts: 34
    reading some of my old posts! new user name, couldn't remember my old email.

probably will be getting into an mk6 in the next year or two. maybe a tdi.

hope everyones rabbit is doing well.
  • 4itgog4itgog Member Posts: 15
    My 2006 Rabbit just passed 61K. Unlike my past VWs(4 GTIs, 1 Passat), This car has been extremely reliable and a pleasure to drive. My only issue was a fluid leak after a 40 K mile service. Castrol Syn. oil every 10K. No electrical glitches for a change, and with the Mk5 independant rear suspension it handles better than my past GTIs. I have never owned a car for over 3 years and there is no rush to replace it, but a new Golf TDI or Jetta Sportwagen TDI could get the nod soon.
  • chaoslooterchaoslooter Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2010
    Just purchased a 2007 Rabbit with only 22,000KM's,yes a little old lady story,she trades them every 3 years weather they need it or not!Yup,I hit it lucky,right time,at right dealership.Anyway,so far I love it!Goes like stink.So Heres my Question of the day.Does anyone know where I can get a front upper strut tie down bar for this thing.In Canada would be great if possible,but doesn't really matter.Thanks for any help.
This discussion has been closed.