Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

You bought the Range Rover Sport. Would you do it again?

gtmaguiregtmaguire Member Posts: 22
I have a discovery 04 which I love. But that SUV is very much a truck when it comes to performance and handling. I am torn between an Escalade and a Sport when I get a new car this year. Also if anyone who has an LR3 reads this would you buy that too? My wife wants a new car when I get mine so I have thought about that one for her. Any other advice such as for the Mercedes GL series would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• dmitriymdmitriym Member Posts: 5
    I had two previous discoveries and now own LR3 SE 2005. While I am not planning to change the car for another 2 years, I am constantly evaluating what I should get next LR3, RR sport or RR. If you have small kids LR3 is the best. It is very different from older discovery and makes it a lot easier to put kids in or out, plus it has very good third row. Third row is useful when you are going with grandparents somewhere or with friends who has kid or two. If family is not a consideration, I would go with Rang Rover Sport. Most likely it is more fun to drive.Cannot tell you much about other cars, I am one car guy.
  • rcangerrcanger Member Posts: 4
    I'm looking into purchasing a 2003 RR with about less the 40,00 miles from a Land Rover dealership but i've heard mix reviews friends telling me its going to break down but test drive the car love it kids love so i'm torn need some good advice on this purchase
  • dmitriymdmitriym Member Posts: 5
    I would agree with your friends. Buying RR out of warranty is gambling. The dealership labor charges are pretty big, at list in my area, and car is complex. Any small problem will result in hours of labor costs. Most likely no local mechanic will be able to figure out what is wrong. Pretty much you have a choice of getting cheaper car and take a chance on the repair costs, or get newer car and relay on warranty. If you have plenty of cash you can gamble, but if you are starching already to get this car I would not do it. It also a matter of convenience, older car more trips to the shop, more wasted time. I drove couple of 2003 RR (not mine, my friend is an owner of the used car store) and they were in bad shape, granted they had more miles on it. Personally I try not to buy reasonably expensive, computerized cars more than two years old.

P.S. RR is nice, no question about it.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    As long as it is a certified Range Rover with the two year 25,000 mile warranty extension I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Land Rover has 4.9 percent financing available on CPO cars too.

I wouldn't buy a non-certified Range Rover or a Range Rover at a non-land rover dealer.
    since i'm getting from the dealers its wil come with two year warranty able to but extended
    Thanks for your advise do you drive a Range?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check out his CarSpace page. :shades:
  • tina20tina20 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I am in the market for a RR Sport..my options right now is a 2007 w/43,000 miles for $36,000 or a 2006 with same mileage for about $33,000 too many miles?...always hear bad things about maintenance...is it worth it..or get a different SUV?
  • dedomandedoman Member Posts: 24
    Im in the same boat with a 07' RR HSE with 30K on it... What do you guys think? it can be CPO'd for an extra 1,500 which will extend the warranty for another 12K miles or 12 months ?! HELP*
  • ranco18972ranco18972 Member Posts: 5
    I am close to buying an 06 RRS - Fully loaded DVD/NAV/, White/Tan mid 30s - 25K miles/Excellent conditions

Same here

I am very close to buy one
    I am looking for an advise on the RRS. What do I have to worry about?
    Should I take the care to an RR service shop to check it?

I have been reading about all the issues and complaints (electrical/Mechanical)

is it worth buying a used RRS?

Should I budget in a 3rd party warranty?

Please advise.
    Haa.. Well... I bought a 07' with 20K on it... immediately took it to my local LR dealership and advised them to do a very good "once over" on it. I advised them that I trusted them and appreciated them looking it over thoroughly. I think they realized they will have me as a customer for the duration of my ownership. They took it in and gave it a full inspection for about $125. that was priceless though, since I know all is well!
    You still have the remaining LR warranty. I wouldn't worry about the 3rd party warranty until closer to yours expiring...
    You have a quality product and if your close to a LR dealership.. I think your good to go!
    Im enjoying mine.. were still getting to know each other :) By the way.. this is my 3rd! I keep drifting away from LR.. but always seem to come back.. I think I will stay awhile now*
    So do you recommend buying the HSE 2006 with 25K+ miles at 35K (asking price)?

Should I buy it from LR dealership or other none LR dealerships?

I tend to feel confotable with an LR dealership who can take ownership of their own vehicles... assuming!

It is such a hesitation to make up my mind. So many cars listed very few in mint condition.
    Honestly, this model year with 25k miles is pulling about $25,000. at auction. In other words, this is the real value of the LR (assuming your talking about a v8) when its sold at auction, which dealerships look at for trade value ect. This should be your base, to make sure you dont get too upside down in the vehicle. The problem with purchasing from dealership is they have HUGE markup in the veh. for resale. On the upside they have done a full check on the vehicle and will take personnal ownership...but you'll see I go into detail on that later in my response.
    Do I think thats worth 10K ? NO! specifically since its still under warranty! You can have them do a "Prepurchase" inspection, which should cost you about $100. This will eleviat your concerns regarding purchase of vehicle from private source. Event if you bought from another dealership, you should still be getting that inspection done, and that dealership should be more than happy to let you take it to a LR location for pre-purchase inspection.
    Ok.. done with obligatory answer to your question. But just to add a couple more thoughts on that year veh. If I were you.. I would be looking for a purchase price of around $27,500. Which is the estimated retail on that vehicle, considering the condition. If you absolutely must have a vehicle that you fall in love with... the go, at the absolute most, for $29,000 ish ?! I would actually offer this to the dealership! and dont laugh, just walk away if they refuse. They will tell you stuff like "re conditioning" "inspections" "CPO'd" The fact is, you will get all that stuff anyways with your 4 yr/50K transferred warranty regardless *
    Just my 2cents...good luck
  • roverduderoverdude Member Posts: 12
    In response to this message about the wholesale value of an 06 Sport HSE with 25,000 miles selling at the auction for 25K. I am a dealer and I cannot buy a sport like this for no where near 25K. It is more like 30K. If you know where I can get them like that, please let me know.

The asking price of 35K for a sport like that one is a great price to be paying. The dealer is not making a 10K profit on that car.
    Hmmm... actually.. you are absolutely right! I had the wrong model year!

I do stand corrected 07's LR Sports come in at 32,400 ish.! $1,500K ontop of that is a very reasonable price point for this one, especially with the stated mileage!

Good call and sorry for the misinformation.

I will standby my advise related to markup usually related to retail price of used at LR dealerships!

This one seems to be a fair price!
    Excellent feedback!

I will keep you posted. I am visiting the dealership this saturday.
    Would you recommend buying a car from Carmax?
    2006 Range Rover HSE sport
    Loaded including DVD (head rests)
    35K miles
    WARRANTY up to 60 month or 60K miles whichever happens first (including Factory warranty).
    Maintenance will be 50$ out of pocket (anything under warranty) or 75$ out of pocket if the RR gets maintained by RR dealership.
    Car color Buckingham Blue and Tan or Charcole gray and Tan

It is extremely hard to decide. I heard many people saying that the RR has so many electrical problems.

We currently have a six year old Nissan Quest with 35K on it. Excellent condition and assembeled in Japan (not in mississipi NIssan US plant). So far not one problem. I just maintain the car regularly (oil + filters + brakes).

My wife and I are so hesitant to make this decision at this point. The RR is beautiful SUV and has its own wow factor. The car will be driven occasionally and not on Highways. the occasionally part is local trips (100 or 200 Miles far).

Any thoughts or feedback would really help us. If you can give me a reality check on the electrical problems that would be great.
  • dandgdandg Member Posts: 91
    great thread as I too am looking at used 06-07 RRS HSE with low miles.I am not finding many(any) in the price ranges quoted here.Most are 07 with 27kmiles for 3995 (no CPO),07 28k miles for 46995.There are some 06 around under 40 (06 w 18k for $37999).
    I called the one RR dealer here in NH ( higher prices) and he explained,correctly,that most 06's are out of the 4yr warreny period.The 07 will have some and adding CPO was $2k !he was also reccomending a after market warranty that they-the dealer will take,@3300 for 2 yr 24k miles.

Where are you finding these mid 30's RRS 07's that are CPO'd?

Have a Lexus RX 350 now and a bit spoiled by the reliabilty and wonder if i should go back to Lexus (GX or LX) instead,like the look of the RRS thou.
  • rrsportsmanrrsportsman Member Posts: 3
    Want to buy a '06 but shockingly saw a RRS being pushed off the on ramp to Rte 17 near Ikea. Minor problems are one thing, total paralysis for a $60k, 3 -4 year old vehicle is ridiculous. Was this highly unusual or is the old Jaguar virus back with RSS. (You need to buy two in case one isn't working).
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    You are assuming an awful lot for very little information.

First off a RRS weighs nearly 6,000 lbs. I haven't ever pushed a RRS but I have pushed a LR3 that ran out of gas and I can tell you that two strong 200 plus lbs guys can barely move one at all. We pushed it about 30 feet off to the side of the road and were totally exhausted.

You couldn't push a RRS along any significant length of flat road without several people pushing. A slight down slope would help of course but would still be exhausting.

The sport could have run out of gas for all you know. There is no way to tell what happened to that car. Also keep in mind the Sport has been out over four years now and there are plenty of them out there with over 100,000 miles. Any car with over 100,000 miles can have breakdowns that are unanticipated and catastrophic.

Still a little unusual for one to be broken down. The 2006 Sports had some problems but were mostly early build quality issues that were fixed within the first year under warranty. I would rather pick up a 2007 over a 2006 if pricing on the 2007 was similar even if the 2007 had more miles. The 2007 got some nicer interior trim pieces and the fit and finish was better. There were some software improvements for the engine and transmission as well that may or may not be fully backwards compatible on a 2006. I like the 2007 wheels better too.

Either way you have to get one certified as buying a car with that much technology with no warranty is a bad idea.
    Perhaps you're right he was simply out of gas within 500 feet of a few gas stations.
    I was driving and was startled at such a site in this affluent community, but he was definitely trying to push it as no one could pass him to try to merge on to the highway.If you read the RRS posts on edmunds for 2006 you start to suspect there's other issues.
    Thanks I'll take your recommendation.
  • mtnbiker5mtnbiker5 Member Posts: 29
    Trying to get some feedback on 2010 RRS HSE owners. Beautiful car/truck. Would u buy another one or too early to tell? Thanks
  • rrs4359rrs4359 Member Posts: 5
    I have an 09 RR Sport with the 20" Stormer Rims (same ones they put on the super charged), and I have had a ton of vibration issues with the steering. Actually, you feel the vibration throughout the whole car. If anyone has been able to resolve this, PLEASE let me know. It is literally driving me nuts. I start feeling it around 50 MPH or so and it does not go away. I have brought the truck in for tire balancing 4 times at 3 different places, tried new tires, and it still vibrates.

The other issue I have is the seat slides. Supposedly Land Rover has had this issue with the Sport since 08 models and has not formally fixed the problem. The dealer tells you to bring the car in and they tighten some linkage in the seat and it lasts about a couple of months and then you bring it back again.

You would think with a $60k+ car you would not have these issues. If anyone has had these problems, please let me know. I am ready to start with the Lemon Laws.
    make sure the air on the tires are even
  • blaskyblasky Member Posts: 15
    Hi All -

I have a perfectly good 2005 Toyota 4runner, but I am considering my first RR purchase. Have a friends who's lease just came up on his 2008 Sport, and the dealer is holding the car for me for a few days. If not for this, I would not be considering switching cars.

The dealer is offering the car at the lease buyout price $40,900 + tax (= $45K+ out the door). It is the 2008 RR Sport, with 16,000 miles. It fully loaded with the luxury package, chrome wheels (prefer the regular actually) and the engine non-supercharged engine. I think the only thing it does not have is the adaptive cruise control and the supercharged engine. Color is grey with black leather and the lighter interior woods. Its been in service for 2 years, 3 months, so I would get the remainder of the 4 year service plan (1.75 years).

Since it is in the dealer hands already, it will need to be smogged and safety checked. That will be an extra $250 total.

Couple of questions though as this will be my first RR purchase (I am coming from owning 3 previous Toyota 4runners whice have been absolutely perfect and maintenance free)-

1) Is this deal a "steal", "good" or just "average" price?
    2) Are their any known issues for the 2008's RR Sports? / reliability?
    3) Anyone install a backup camera to their Sport - if so, how much?
    4) Estimated life on tires/brakes for a non-heavy footed driver (very easy on my pedals)
    5) What actual gas mileage have you been getting (just curious)
    6) Anyone put 89 or 87 octane gas in?
    7) Anything I should be aware of?
    8) Would you jump on this, or keep the 4runner?

Thanks so much in advance. Have to pull the trigger soon.

Blasky
  • eagleeye3eagleeye3 Member Posts: 44
    I have to comment on the #6. Let's say one drives 15K year. Let's say one gets 15 miles to the gallon. That's 1000 gallons of gas per year. So, if 89 is 10 cents less per gallon, you are saving $100 year. Why go against the recommended fuel choice?
  • blaylockblaylock Member Posts: 1
    hi anthony here
    has any other person had an experience like me my new range rover was diliverd 16 sep 2009 and from then i got nothing but problems it would pull up for no reason showing fault restricted engine performance and several other fault codes it was in the garage more times than i can remember . it let me down almost every week then it went in to our local dealer to get fixed and was in three days i got it out on friday drove home but did not use it until monday i set off to work i got up to around 60 mph it stopped without warning i was flung forward and backword and to my horror it shatterd my neck ,i have not worket since it has been almost a year
    i have had a major opperation and now have metel plates in my neck has anybody had similer experiance send me an answer
    WOW, have not heard that where the car stopped at 60mph. I have had the car in the shop a NUMBER of times for issues with the front seat losening up and making noise, the trunk squeeking, and tire balancing. I have owed 4 Jeep Cherokees prior to this and NEVER had to bring them in to the shop. This truck (2009) is in every couple of months for something. Granted the dealer does not charge for this, but it is really irratating. The seats, they tell me Land Rover is aware of the issue but does nothing to permanently fix the issue. Love the way the truck looks but hate all the problems that come with it. And yes, I seem to always have error messages on the dash. The dealer said they can reset the computer for $50-75. Come on? Give me a break. Just live with the error messages for now.
  • flash31flash31 Member Posts: 5
    We have a RRS HSE 2010 model we have wheel wobble and vibration as you describe we took back to the dealer at 400 miles for correction of the fault along with other faults when we collected the vehicle the wheel wobble and vibration were still the same but now Land Rover are saying this is correct for the marque of car rubbish we have now issued court proceedings you don't pay this sort of money for a car of this standard
    It is amazing what Land Rover thinks you should just accept, on a very expensive car. Cadillacs from 30 years ago drove smoother than this thing. Not that you expect a truck to drive like a car, but in today's day and age with the money you are spending, the truck should drive a lot better and have much less problems. I dont blame you for suing them.
  • lion7lion7 Member Posts: 2
    I'm checking 08 RRS to buy, I have Acura MDX 02 which is zero problems no issues at all.
    I fall in love with the RRS, little bit nervous about reliability issues from what I'm hearing . also what is a good price to consider for one with NAV, may be up to 60,000 miles, Any advice please...
  • gtmaguiregtmaguire Member Posts: 22
    I have owned two 2008 RRS and had absolutely no problems with the cars. I just sold at what I believe to be a fire sale price for 33,500. I unfortunately set my price too low! I received about 20 phone calls in the first week. Car was bought by first guy to see it. Loaded with luxury, nav dual dvd players 47,000 miles. And just to depress anyone who reads this it is so I can have a brand new Odyssey Mini van, kill me now. :cry:
  • lion7lion7 Member Posts: 2
    that is sounded good to me , you did not have any bad experience with the car, just out of curiosity what made you sell the car and switch to a Japanese brand..
    Interested in any commonality between those RSS with no problems.
    Same factory but maybe different months of production?
    Interested if you made a note of when they were manufactured
    or any other similarities between your RSS's.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Could be different months, with some parts provided by different suppliers. Some shifts may have gotten a whole batch of marginal parts.

But what do I know, I like minivans. :D
  • nym1800nym1800 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2011 RRS and it has also shut down on me at 65 mph on the pkwy with me and my family coming from dinner, just hours after picking up the vechicle for the electronic gas meter read empty when it was just filled up but now it showed gas and ran out of gas!!!! I took a picture with my phone just to show time and date and when the tow truck came to help me.. But this isn't the only problem I had it stalled out on me another day and the dealer took a week to find out the it was a liw gas pressure sensor a week from someone who is suppose know how to fix this truck!!!! also the steering had stiffens up so bad that you have to be very strong to turn it.. I would have to pull over and turn the truck off and re-start it again for the steering to go back to normal. Also the transmission when I stop at a light the D would disappear from the electronic dash board and when you step on the gas the truck goes no where you have to put the truck in park and then go back to drive I move again.. For $60k+ this is a lot to go through in the first to years
  • mibnymibny Member Posts: 14
    I would ONLY lease this vehicle if FREE MAINTENENCE IS INCLUDED. RRS are very expensive to fix