Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

1992 Corvette Digital Odometer

swayngwswayngw Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
I am considering purchasing a 1992 Corvette coupe.
The owner said he did not drive the car for 4 months and the odometer reset itself to 0 miles. Is this possible? Thanks.

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I always thought that if you try to tamper with a digital odometer, it would change color and thereby give the game away. Did you notice one of the digits (the last zero) turn black or something like that?

I never heard of this happening.

You can always do a CARFAX and find out what the real miles are, and then get a written statement from the owner as to actual miles. You might also remind him that tampering with an odometer is a FEDERAL offense.
  • swayngwswayngw Member Posts: 2
    I am considering purchasing a 1992 Corvette. The owner tells me that he did not drive the car for 4 months and the odometer which is digital reset itself to 0. Can anyone tell me if this is possible? I have never heard of this
    situation. Thanks.
  • lokkilokki Member Posts: 1,200
    Here is a web page about digital dash problems in Cadillacs of that era, but it lists some suggestions for fixing digital dash problems, and some links to places that specialize in fixing GM digital gauges...

Good luck!

Digital Dash Repair Tips
  • zenithgolfzenithgolf Member Posts: 1
    I have Goodyear run flats on my 01 coupe. The left rear tire falls about 2 or 3 lbs below the other three tires,over a time period of several weeks. Anybody have an idea . Leaky valve? Can it be tightened easily?
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    A Carfax will only record mileage at ownership changes or when a car go's through emissions testing.

Something sounds fishy here.
    Ah...

Instead of guessing, take it to a tire shop. They will dunk it in a tub of water to see where it's leaking from. you probably have a nail in it.
    Well it tells you the last recorded mileage. Right now he has no idea what the miles are.
    Well, yeah, assuming the guy at the emission station bothered to get it right. We run into all kinds of trouble with this.

Better than nothing I suppose.
    Well if he can't verify the mileage, he should just assume it's like one million miles and pay accordingly. I suppose you could look the car over with a fine tooth comb and estimate the miles, but this "cloud" will hang over the car forever, so why pay retail?
    Exactly!

The car is now a TMU -True Mileage Unknown car and that is as bad as a salvage title.

I would run away!
  • lokkilokki Member Posts: 1,200
    Well a 92 is getting pretty old any how, and has no collector value, so if the price were right, it might be a fun toy.

What's the market price for a private party purchase of TMU 92 Corvette that looks to be in reasonable shape?
    Just a plain 'ol coupe in really really good condition? $8,000-- $10,000 should be more than enough to buy as many as you want....probably less if you shop hard and bargain hard. I bet I could score a fairly decent '92 for $5,000-$6,000 and a basically okay car needing some repairs for around $4,500.
This discussion has been closed.