Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Cavalier Starting/Stalling Problems

Comments

• knr499knr499 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1990 cav with 2.2. Starts easy, idles fine. when you decelerate or come to stop it stalls and sometimes dies. When I get back on gas I can hold pedal to floor for several seconds before throttle picks up. It seems to do it more often at cold running temp, but will do it and hesitate some at hot running temp. There are no codes stored and no engine light. Have already replaced plugs, fuel filter, EGR valve, throttle position sensor, air idle control valve and rebuilt throttle body. Lost now, any advice.
  • show_me_navajoshow_me_navajo Member Posts: 15
    change the tcc solenoid in the trans. we had the same problem and replaced a lot of the same parts. when i changed the tcc the car was running great again.
  • kenandnettekenandnette Member Posts: 2
    I just bought an '04 Cavalier with 54,000 mi on it. However its left me sit 2 times in the last week. Both times I had driven it during the day running errands, then when I shut it off to run into a store and then came out it tried to start, but then it would shut off - Like the fuel wasn't getting picked up? It would turn over, sputter, and then shut off.
    NOTE-When it happened the last time it started right up for them the next morning when they had it towed. They replaced the ignition switch since nothing seemed wrong with it.
    Now I've driven it for 3 days since then with no problems, and then it does it again to me tonight.
    Please help - tell me I didn't just buy a clunker..... :cry:
  • h311mlh311ml Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2010
    Hi,

I had several issues with my cavalier, car windows sticking (common problem with this car it seems), and currently I'm getting the instrument panel replaced because my service light, trac off, and ABS light comes on a lot. $500!

I have another issue with the car that the dealership is researching as we speak, my car when put in reverse sometimes stall or even dies. Usually, if I put it in reveerse and accelerate real quick in drive it won't , but I'm worried about the times I can;t do it fast enough. Any ideas what this could be?? Only has died when in reverse after I just started the car.

• machjivemachjive Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Chevy Cav it stalls when I come off the brake to accelerate also the Check Engine and TRAC OFF lights are on at the same time or just one of them is on And it also hesitates.Mechanic said he replaced spark plugs and fuel filter but it still stalling.Also I get that transmission clank when I put it in Drive.Please help.Thanks.
  • ekirchne08ekirchne08 Member Posts: 1
    I am literally having the EXACT same issue with the reverse stall/dying thing. My service, ABS, and trac off lights are also on (and off sometimes??) Have you figured anything out, or gotten any helpful advice -- because I would LOVE to know!! :) Thank you thank you! :sick:
  • brianmac2brianmac2 Member Posts: 9
    I had the rough running and stalling issue and it was nothing more than the little hose between the inlet manifold and the pressure sensor that was perished and sucking in air. I also have the clank into engagement, especially when I've just started up. I live with it, but find if I roll forward a bit down my street before engaging drive that eases it.
  • lilmick21602lilmick21602 Member Posts: 1
    Looking for Help!

My 2.2 has no fire.
    This is what Ive done;
    New battery, plugs,wires, coil packs crankshaft position sensor,ICM checked.
    No volts on the pulse wire.
    Where do I go next?
    Hooked up scanner 0 rpm no codes.
    All fuses good.

All info appreciated dont want this jewell to rot.

Thanks
    Mick
  • 90cavalier9090cavalier90 Member Posts: 1
    Hey everybody my 90 Cavalier z24 automatic its v6 fuel injected has some problems. First to start i changed spark plugs and did a throttle body cleaner. heres the problem. The car starts and idles a little high a little above 1000 rps. When i step on the gas while car is running but parked black smoke comes out of the exhaust and you can feel that its running crapy. Then when i put it in drive and step on the gas the rpms drop like crazy and it almost stalls. sometimes it does stall when i do that too. Im really comfused any help would be great!!
  • jmc1005jmc1005 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, alsoin New Zealand and have the 2.4 '96 Chevalier. Engaging sometimes,but then cuts out. Other times starts fine. I dont think its starter, but pehaps some type of fuel sensor ? Love this car but dont want to be chasing different theries and $. How did you get on with yours ?
    Hi to the other NZ owner,

My problem was the ignition switch. When that was replaced, all was fine. I've had another problem since with the engine running very rough at lower revs and cutting out. It was just a small vacuum hose between the inlet manifold and the sensor, right at the very front of the engine in the middle, easy to see so worth checking. The hose had perished and fallen off, replaced with a piece of plastic hose and good again..for now.
  • 02cavalier_grl02cavalier_grl Member Posts: 4
    My 02 Cav is a 2.2L, manual transmission and I've been the only owner. When I slow down to almost a complete stop it stalls on me and my engine and oil lights come on, I loose my power steering and I can't tell if my headlights go out also...

I've been having this problem on and off for about 2 months now and it's driving me nuts. I've been to the mechanic 4 times and he still cannot fix the problem. I'm at my wits end!

So far they've replaced the battery once and cleaned the fuel line, and idle air control and throttle body cleaning twice each. The mechanic says there was lots of carbon and this is the reason why the first cleaning didn't work. My car runs fine for two days and guess what.... today it stalls in the middle of an intersection while I am turning left and I almost get plowed by another driver. To be honest now I'm scared to even drive the stupid thing and I'm beyond frustrated. A friend suggested to try a fuel cleaning product like SMP so I will try that tomorrow and see if it helps.... I think I need to switch mechanics and try taking it to a dealership or someone who specializes in chevy's cuz having to go back 4 times to this mechanic and now a 5th shows they are incompetent.... GRR! :sick:

Any suggestions would help please... thanks in advance.
  • joehat87joehat87 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 Cavalier 2.2 and it has a cylinder 2 misfire. I have a few questions so hopefully I can avoid some costly repairs that I can't afford right now.

The Check Engine light is on. It has codes for cylinder #2 misfire as well as an evaporative emissions code for the EGR valve (could this also have something to do with the misfire? and will this as well as the misfire eventually cause me to have to replace the catylitic converter?).

The car bucks when idling and accelerating. While accelerating slowly it is usually ok but once you hit the gas a bit harder it hesitates and bucks much more.

I replaced the spark plugs about a month ago and it actually solved the problem for about a week before I was driving on the highway one day around 80mph and the Check Engine light began to blink and after about 4 or 5 blinks stayed on solid. I just bought the wires and coil packs and will hopefully be able to replace them today. I honestly do not think this will solve the problem, but I hope so. While changing the spark plugs last month, I noticed that the cylinder 2 plug had oil on it, while the rest were clean (the cylinder 1 plug actually had the entire electrode burned off, I have no idea how the plug was even firing like that). After replacement I checked the plugs about 2 weeks ago and noticed the cylinder 2 plug had some oil on it again. It looks as though the valve cover is leaking so I'll have to replace that too.

I replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter and throttle position sensor at school about 2 months ago. This helped a great deal (the car had hesitation before but the misfire just came on about a month ago) as the hesitation had stopped but eventually came back due to the misfire. When the gas pedal is pressed about 1/4 to halfway a buzzing or whining sound can be heard near the cat and fuel tank. I've heard that this can mean the fuel pump is bad and I really hope not, because the pump set me back $250 and I can't afford another one.

I've read almost every post on this thread and I have some ideas of things to check, such as the fuel pressure regulator and fuel injectors.

Anyone have any other ideas? Any help is appreciated. I'll post an update after I replace the wires and coil pack.
    have you tried a basic tune up yet? plugs and wires. I have had the same problem, we changed plug wires and no more trouble.
    buy a cheap compression gauge and test the compression. with a burned electrode on the #2 spark plug i would be looking for a vacuum leak. i use brake cleaner to check for vacuum leaks. with the engine at an idle spray short blasts along the intake. if the engine raises you found the leak. do you have an automatic or standard trans?
    Hi,

Yes it had a tune-up not too long ago (about two months?). Maybe they missed the plugs and wires though.... Anyway with taking it back and forth they've flushed out the carbon and replace the idle throttle body controler (didn't do anything). I brought it in again and the mechanic said there was a manufacture recall on the computer related to stalling so they sent the computer back to GM to get reprogrammed.... That sort of helped but it still stalls, now it just doesn't stall as violently or as often or in multiples. So far I've just been putting up with it until the next tune-up is due b/c I can't afford to fix it anymore right now. I might decide to get a new car soon since I've spent more then what this one is worth in only three months...
    some mechanics will skip changing plug wire if they appear ok,how many miles are on your car?
  • betty32betty32 Member Posts: 1
    Are the engine and heads interchangeable?
    There's around 91000 km... i'm not sure what that would be in miles.
  • lrt2lrt2 Member Posts: 2
  • lrt2lrt2 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1999 Cavalier Z24 with approx. 108,500 miles on it. When I turn the key there is silence then it starts or turns over. I have had it in the shop they have heard the problem, but they cannot find it. The alternator, battery, battery cables and starter have all been checked. Diagnostic testing has been done, nothing was found wrong. I just had a fuel regulator put in hoping that was the issue. I was wrong, it did though correct it for about a week then it stated doing it again.

Does anyone have any ideas of what this could be?

I am the only owner of this car and I am not ready to get rid of it yet.
  • dtoffelmiredtoffelmire Member Posts: 3
    Can any one help me? I have an 03 cav. An in the past month i have had the fuel pump quit, had it replaced. And now it quit again an my mech cant get it to start again. Put it on the scope no codes of any kind, but nothing. Lots of fuel pressure at rail lots of cranking power but just wont fire. :sick:
    have you checked the crank sensor?
  • ohpaul57ohpaul57 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Z24 conv with the 2.4 engine, have changed the plugs and fuel filter and continue to have stalling issues. They only seem to occur when the car is at an idle such at a stop light or making a turn, I am able to start right back up with no issues just becoming annoying.

Ay suggestions would be helpful as my mechanic said it is hard to fix when it does not happen ll the time.

Thank you
    @ohpaul57 - mine did the exact same thing and it drove me nuts for months. I have a 2002 Cavalier. The mechanic eventually found out that there was a recal on the computer that wasn't publicized yet so it had to get re-programed. After that, no problems! woohoo!

Good luck!
  • cavalierdudecavalierdude Member Posts: 1
    Sounds like fuel pressure.regulator
  • dezz44dezz44 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2011
    i have a 00 cavalier that i have been trying to get running. it started with the fuel pump going out so i changed that, then the battery fried so i put a new one in. after getting the new battery in the car still won't start. when i turn the key it sounds like the starter gear kicks out, but doesn't spin. kind of like when a battery is low. when i jump the solenoid i just hear the gear spin, but it doesn't kick out against the flywheel. I've tried changing the starter and it does the same thing, Even though it is a salvage yard part it shouldn't give me the exact same result. so what is my problem?
    the 00 cavalier we had has bad grounding issues. try turning on your headlights and watch to see if they dim when someone else turns the starter over. double check your battery connections and the ground connections on the engine block.
  • dyse711dyse711 Member Posts: 2
  • dyse711dyse711 Member Posts: 2
    My GF has an '04 Cav. that had starting issues, that soon became starting and stalling issues. I've had the fuel pump / fuel filter changed, along with the crank sensor. New starter, new battery, and alternator checks ok...Still having issues. Today I used fuel injector cleaner for the 1st time, and so far today it's ok. My mechanic has no more ideas, as there is no check engine codes, and the issue is very inconsistent, so I'm driving it to see if anything becomes consistent, or CEL comes on. ANY SUGGESTIONS?? ANY INSIGHT WILL NOT BE OVERLOOKED!! Thanks all!!
    Timmy D.
  • christawilliamchristawilliam Member Posts: 1
    i recently just bought a 91 chevy cavalier and now im noticing that when i drive it it wil stall going down the road then it will start right back up....i have no idea what is going on with the thing so and feedback would be appreciated thank you
    have you replaced the fuel filter?
  • overhead1overhead1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1990 chevrolet cavalier 4cyl, 89,000 miles, when it sets overnight or 5 or 6 hours in the yard. It doesn't want to run. It will crank right up but will stall for a least the next 8 or nine tries then. When it started up I have to let it run about 3 min before I can pull off or it will stall again. After that if will run fine the rest of the day. When I'm going up the road it feel like its not getting enough of gas. After about 5 min you can't tell that anything wrong. I have change the fuel pump. spark plugs,gas treatment. The next day the same thing,can't just get into the car and drive off. Can someone help, What about the Oxygen sensor?
  • brittanyb1brittanyb1 Member Posts: 1
    I feel you on that, I have a 1990 too, that wants to cut out at 2 RPM. After about 6 hundred spent, more money to be spent. it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to enjoy Christmas this year! :cry:
  • rainbowzrainbowz Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    I can definitely relate! I have an '04 cavalier, bought new that year. Just turned over 34,000 miles. Been stalling since '06. Used to be one in a great while, now I'm afraid to drive, b/c it stalls every time I am at a red light, stop sign, or even need to set on the brake to make a left turn, for example. Have had it to 4 different places, now at chevy garage (& I'm driving a free rental). It's to the point now that it has stalled 2x at a light. it stalls, & when I get it in drive, it stalls again. The last time they "fixed' it, I drove abt 10 min to the mall, & after abt an hour, went to drive home. As soon as I started the car, the engine light was on (it's off & on & there's no relevance to the stalling, it's on when the car stalls & doesn't.) it stalled 2x before I got home. When I dropped the car off yesterday, the guy asked if it had happened since then & I said I haven't driven since then. I saved running all my errands until I knew I'd have the rental. It isn't safe to drive, I'm sick of driving with my flashers on, & everyone honking at me, & waiting in a turn lane to make a left turn, only to stall 1/2 way into it, as cars come towards me. I think the worst part of all this is.... I have to keep paying for this crap......even though it's never fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT BUY CHEVY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have had the fuel injector replaced, along with other things I can't even think abt. They keep checking & reseting the same codes.... the last thing was something with the AC.... u r kidding me, right???? All the money put into fiixing this could have bought a cheaper car by now. I'm stuck, b/c I can't buy a car, & to trade this in... yeah, like I'd get anything for it. One things for sure, when I do get another car, it won't be a Chevy.
    I have a 96 cavalier and I think of it as a troublesome car after a mazda which gave me over 100000 miles trouble free. But when I read this blog I feel lucky compared to most cav owners. But to the point, I had this annoying stalling problem and it turned out to be nothing more than a little vacuum hose between the inlet manifold and the sensor. I joke there's the laughing cavalier, but no such thing as a laughing cavalier owner!!
  • saviorwootensaviorwooten Member Posts: 2
    My car is stalling randomly, and when i start it up it sometimes acts like its going to die. It is a 2.2 liter 4cyl. M/T has A/C. I replaced the fuel filter yesterday. Did nothing to help. replaced water pump because it was leaking badly and i was having over heating issues. Any way going down the highway it misses bad. and after awhile it will actually lose all power and start backfiring. but it doesn't die. just loses power. than it will come back, run fine for a min or so. than it starts doing it again. After working on it today it seems to be worse. 98,000 miles on it. replace one coil and the icm at 79000 miles. replaced plugs and wires at 91000 miles.
  • saviorwootensaviorwooten Member Posts: 2
    Which sensor was it?
    Hi,
    It's the sensor right at the front of the engine when you lift the hood, can't miss it, right in the center at the top. There's a small hose going from the bottom of it to the inlet manifold. On mine the hose was perished and had fallen off at one end. I just replaced it with a bit of plastic tube and away it went again.
    Worth a try, good luck.
  • cburncburn Member Posts: 1
    I have a '94 cavalier that I purchased in '98. It runs perfectly from a cold start. If I drive long enough for the car to reach normal operating temp, shut it off, and try to restart/drive again within 30 minute or so, it misses when trying to accelerate. If I let off the gas it gets better, and over the course of 2 minutes or so of driving, it goes back to running fine. Last week I went to the store and when I came out it started fine. Once in drive it stalled upon acceleration. After trying to restart several times, I left it there for several hours, came back, and it ran fine. On a paid mechanics diagnosis I have replaced plugs, wires, coil packs, ignition module, and crank sensor. I cleaned the TBI, and the egr and pcv valves. The only thing that has changed is the calendar and my cashflow. My fuel pump is not whining, and was replaced by a dealer several years ago. I'm running out of cash and options. Please help.
  • jamn55jamn55 Member Posts: 2
  • jamn55jamn55 Member Posts: 2
    2001 Chevy Cavalier, 2.2L inline-4 OHV "2200 SFI", automatic, wth 143,000 miles.

When you turn the key to start the car, there is a short delay before the car starts up. No noise of any kind, no nothing ... just a pause for like 2 or 3 seconds then it starts. Any ideas?
  • scotttt1970scotttt1970 Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2012
    Hi I have had a 2000 Chevy Cavalier 2.2 liter 4 cyl Automatic for about 5 or 6 years now. I have noticed the whole time I have owned it, that when I start the car and shift from Park to Drive I hear a clunk, and with the hood open the engine pivots back and forth one time really far and once engaged the engine doesn't shake at all. This only happens from park to drive, it does not do this from park to any other gears, and once the car is in drive everything is normal. The car has no shifting problems at all, no slips or clunking while driving or hitting the gas real fast on take off. I changed the all three mounts on the car yesterday. Upper engine mount (still in decent shape), lower dogbone (tore to hell), and Transmission mount (decent). I really haven't noticed it get any worse over the years I just know its not right. I have never changed the fluid or the filter since I owned the car, and most likely it has never been changed in the cars life. Could a dirty filter, and dirty fluid cause this problem? Or could the linkage need adjusted or replaced? Thanks in advance
    dirty filter won't cause a problem like this. high idle will and will tear the hell out of your mounts. if the idle is ok and the mounts are new, start the car count to 15 then change gears. see if this makes any differnce.pontiac g-6's seem to have the same problem.
  • renegade65renegade65 Member Posts: 3
    CKP sensor
  • renegade65renegade65 Member Posts: 3
    ICM OR CKP SENSOR
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Welcome to the forums! While you're permitted to answer any posts you like, please be aware that you're responding to posts that are 5-1/2 years old. The members have probably resolved the issue by now, or no longer own the vehicle. You might find it a better use of your time to respond to more recent questions.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jazzlayjazzlay Member Posts: 1
    Has Anyone come up with an answer to this problem. it stalls out trac light on and it stalls both drive and reverse
  • truenorth069truenorth069 Member Posts: 1
    I wanted to post some useful info for everyone here. I have also been experiencing the rough idle/stall after driving for a bit. Then the car won't start for a few minutes. I had complete diagnostics done on the car. Everything turned out to be working properly, except the ignition coil. The ignition coil was overheating, which causes the stalling. It then needs to cool down before it will provide power to start again. A bad ignition coil can cause almost every single symptom in this thread, but is almost always overlooked. Most mechanics don't actually know that cavaliers in particular have a major problem with this.

If you need proof of it happening, you have to go to a good mechanic that actually knows what he is doing. Tell him/her to run your vehicle with his computer on it and make it sputter/stall out. This will tell him where the problem is, which will most likely be the ignition coil.
  • rjs90stang50rjs90stang50 Member Posts: 1
    Hi I have a 98 Cavalier z24 and Im having a similar problems, the most I can get it to run is about 25 mins if Im on the highway but stalls sooner if Im in town. It takes a few minutes to start it unless I use a shot of starting fluid but heres what is happening, it boggs down when I push hard on the gas but will run better as I let up, once I get to where Im goin with in a half hour away it will start to stall as Im parking and then I have to let the car sit for 1 1/2 hours before it will start again and its really getting to me cuz now the only place I can really drive it is back and forth to work. I already replaced the o2 sensor and map sensor like the obd2 reader told me but Im stumped on this problem. The guy I bought the car from replaced all the plugs and wires and coil pack and I even replaced the one spark module that is right by the plugs and wires. do you think its the ignition coil or something different? I dont have alot of money to waste on parts so Im up for any good advice I can get, thanks RJ