Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Vacation Travel Plans, Suggestions, Advice

12346»

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Mass transit is a big plus for living in Europe. It's really quite shameful how decrepit our mass transit is compared to the EU. We're more like what you'd see in Uzbekistan. :P

I'm afraid I'd need a jollier population than the Swiss.

Denmark might be interesting. It's the least religious country in Europe, and of course has top notch social services, transport, and a very friendly and intelligent population. Small, flat, so that's not so spectacular, but they always score highest on the various "satisfaction" or "quality of life" indexes.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,072
    Infrastructure in general in the US is really faltering. Transit is just the icing on the cake. I love cars, but wouldn't mind having a car as an object of recreatoin or for heavy shopping, and using transit to commute. However, even though I live in a metro area, my work schedule would make it a gigantic pain.

I'm pretty subdued, so I can deal with the Swiss. Denmark wouldn't be bad either, very clean and a good standard of living, good food, less social ills than even the decent surrounding areas. And I could still visit Germany for some fast driving :shades:
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    edited September 2010
    I agree that various European countries offer certain advantages over the U.S., such as the better transit that was mentioned, more social services, a less harried lifestyle, and quaintness. However, I'd still choose the U.S. as the best country in which to live and to make a living.

One advantage that many Europeans are impressed with is the efficiency and friendliness of our service sector employees. Service sector employees in the U.S are generally trained to be more customer oriented than in most countries, and our compensation system tends to encourage and support this. Just compare the service we enjoy in our stores and restaurants with that in most countries. Also, the merchandise return policies of our retail businesses are virtually unparalleled. They're catching on in many countries, but we still lead, in my opinion.
  • kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    The "better transit" has come to a stop today in Europe as it is 1 of their planned strike days. I read a few comments from people who live there, and they're quite fed-up with the numerous strikes, as their societies are pushed into using public transportation.
    Remember that it is preferable to do something yourself many times rather than rely on the motivation and skill of some public servant.

We can say that the models, drawings, and other ideals of the European transportation, medical, and retirement systems are better. But then a Snickers bar costs $2.50, and a BigMac is $7.00 in France.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    There's no question that there's a price for those perqs.
    There's really no difference between a European transit system on strike and a California mass transit system that's running that day. :P

Yes, the USA is more consumer-oriented, to which I say, "oh, yippee...."

I'd rather have the civic life, medical benefits, mass transit, love of art and science, high educational standards, and other amenities and suffer the rude waiters and surly postal employees.

I mean, you have to admit, the Swiss are pretty clever---they are a financial global powerhouse and you'd be hard pressed to even find their army.

On the negative side, if you are an American living in Europe and you aren't plugged into some sort of support network, you'll forever be an outsider.
    edited September 2010
    There's a strike in France and in London, not in all of Europe. France has strikes like clockwork (yet retains admirable productivity stats), no news there.

The US has a transportation and transit system, even in many cities, which is second world at best. Something needs to change as the population continues to grow. The US does not have the highest standard of living or the best quality of life - and it certainly has the ability to make improvements as the intellectual capital surely exists.

Where in France is a chocolate bar $2.50 and a hamburger $7? The last food court at CDG or at a touristy amusement park?

I don't really fall for the superior customer service angle. The British and Germans I know openly mock the canned American style "how are you? have a nice day!" retail interactions. It's a facade...people in low paying service sector jobs are no happier in the US than anywhere else, they are just forced to smile. My interactions primarily in German speaking Europe - where people are famously cold and severe - are mixed: some people were nice and chatty, others surly and distant. But I didn't feel like someone was putting on a show to impress micromanagers.
    Americans are generally very friendly people on the surface but basically impenetrable. Europeans are more formal on the surface, but ultimately more accessible IMO.
    edited September 2010
    I have noticed that too...a tough nut to crack, but if you make an effort, you can do it. And the key is at least attempting the language. If you burst out in English and don't even try, you will be treated coldly. But if you put forth an effort - they will open up a lot easier. You don't have to be close to perfect, but if you try, generally they have respect.

Maybe the coldness also doesn't put me off because people in my region (pacific northwest) are famously aloof and distant - see the "Seattle chill". I'm used to it. People from the south or midwest might not see it the same.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited September 2010
    We're still on the road, having traveled from MI through OH and KY to stay with family in Chattanooga this week. Last night we camped at a primitive campground in a national forest in southern-ish Kentucky and as the campfire was dying out, I saw an odd little reflection a few feet from the picnic table. Grabbed the flashlight and saw a little bitty worm-like thing. No glow, thought maybe I was seeing firelight reflecting off his eye like you do with a spider's eye (there's a flashlight trick for that).

Then it glowed again and my wife was able to spot it. Then we spotted four or five more.

Apparently fireflys (and other glowing bugs) will glow in the larva stage. And that's the first time I've ever seen a glow worm glow.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    Now.. y'all know what we all know..

Kentucky is special.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    Where in KY do you Alpine ski? Mountain Climb? (not hills, mountains)???
    Actually, you can ski in Lawrenceburg, IN.. which is just 5 miles from the KY border...

We climb down our mountains, not up (see Mammoth Cave).. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

It was fun seeing the signs for the Big South Fork, the Obed system and other Class IV boating streams I used to canoe "back in the day".
    The Big South Fork area is pretty cool... Some great roads down there, as well..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

From TN we went to my sister's near Winchester Virginia for a few days. Today we went back to Port Huron via WV, PA, MD and some of the Amish country of Ohio. Saw quite a few buggies on the 4 lane we were on (not an Interstate). Lots of pretty hill country on that route - Wheeling seemed to be an especially nice spot.
    If you watch the HG network, you've likely seen some ads for this park in South Dakota. We spent a couple of days there recently and it's really nice. Great scenic drives, including views of Rushmore as you leave the park area heading north, and the hoodoos on the Needles drive and around Sylvan Lake will make you think you're in Yosemite. Similar granite that you'll see in parts of the Sierra. Lots of critters too, including buffalo.

We were there after Sturgis and after the schools reopened. I could imagine it getting a bit busy in high season.
  • vchiuvchiu Member Posts: 564
    My name is Val CHIU
    I am a French guy living near Paris and I was active on the Forum a few years ago.
    I, my wife and my 2 children, 15 and 13, will visit the US / North-East Coast during the first 3 weeks of July.
    I haven't been in the US for quite a while. Apart from a short NY trip in 2011, this was 1998 in California.
    It will be a first time for my wife and the two kids.
    While the programme is not set in stone, we think about staying one week in NY, going to Washington D.C. for a day, then make a big loop that would lead us upstate NY, Montreal, Quebec, then (maybe New Brunswick ) Maine, Boston and back to NY.
    Most journeys would be done by rental car (i will go cheap with a Toyota Camry or any equivalent)
    Speed limits being much lower and distances bigger than in Europe, I expect travel times to be very long.
    This will be the very first time I venture into such road trips. Any advice will be welcome.
    I did not book any hotel along the way. I wish to drive and drop by any motel on the way when we feel it is time. The rationale behind the wish not to book is to allow myself the flexibility to extend my stay if I like the place, or to pass if I don't.
    Is my thinking any realistic or did I just watch too many American road movies where protagonists never struggled to find available room in conveniently placed motels ?
    Which reasonable daily budget should I consider for a 4-people accomodation ?
    What should I watch out, and what would you suggest me ?

I am looking forward very much to this trip

Thank you , kind regards Valery

• GloriaWalkerGloriaWalker Member Posts: 7
    Any advice for trip to Italy?