Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

ASTON MARTIN VANTAGE V8 "LEMON"

2»

Comments

• mkranitzmkranitz Member Posts: 1
    Spirit,

I have to agree with your assessment over all of the anecdotal evidence here. I love the AM line. I have a 2007 XK8 and have had my eyes darting over to the DBS and Vantage. This discussion has scared me to the point where have to ask myself whether "I feel lucky."

Not gonna do it. Wouldn't be prudent at this juncture.

Thanks for your post.
  • quattroquattro Member Posts: 105
    Good thing there are so many Porsche purists out there otherwise the waiting list for Vantage will be 10 years long and the dealers will charge ridiculous mark ups.

Speaking of mark up a new thread on Price Paid and Buying experience has been created for the Aston.

Please share your experience there.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I guess I qualify as a Porsche purist because I wanted a high performance car I could drive everyday, without worry. Two years, 17,000 miles later, I am very satisfied.

There is no doubt the Vantage is more exclusive than the 911, and a beautiful car. But, with all due respect, if "art" and exclusivity is your thing, I still can't help but think of AM as a "wannabe" compared to Ferrari. Of the 3 people I know that spent 2 years waiting for their Ferrari 360's to be delivered back in 2000-2001, all of them have subsequently sold at significant profits to their MSRP. One of them traded up for a 430 and could now sell that at an even greater profit. He jokes that he has made enough profit in owning Ferraris over the past 7 years to pay for a 911 (or Vantage).

Perhaps AM's reliability problems have been overblown in this forum. I haven't been serious enough to do the direct research myself. But in my opinion, AM is not so exclusive or artistic as to survive without at least acceptable relaibility, however you define that. I submit that for the company's financial survival, they need to make cars that are solid, reliable everyday drivers. Because, frankly, if I wanted to spend my discretionary car dollars on a rolling piece of art and risk it being a pain in the [non-permissible content removed] to keep rolling, a Ferrari looks a lot more compelling. Much better risk reward tradeoff.

I would say exactly the same thing about Masserati, by the way. There is only one Ferrari and my [non-permissible content removed] is a little risk averse when it comes to suffering pain at the hands of the others.
  • mike69mike69 Member Posts: 6
    I HAVE A 2008 VANTAGE ROADSTER ON ORDER AT BEVERLY HILLS OGARA WHICH IS DUE NEXT MONTH, MY SALES PERSON WAS JANELLE, HAVE YOU BEEN SATISFIED WITH THE CAR AND THE SERVICE? AFTER READING ALL OF THESE POSTS I AM VERY CONCERNED ABOUT PURCHASING A CAR THAT IS A PAIN TO DEAL WITH AND HAVE REPAIRED ALL THE TIME. ANY COMMENTS OR ADVICE?
    WHAT DEALER ARE YOU WORKING WITH? NOW THAT YOU HAVE HAD PROBLEMS WITH BOTH CARS, DO YOU BELIEVE THE VANTAGE IS A CAR WORTH CONSIDERING FOR $145K MY 2008 IS DUE NEXT MONTH AND I'M SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING CANCELLING THE PURCHASE AFTER READING ALL OF THESE PROBLEMS. ANY ADVICE?
    I HAVE A 2008 ON ORDER AT OGARA IN BEVERLY HILLS, WHO IS YOUR SALES PERSON AT THE DEALER. MAY I USE YOUR NAME WHEN SPEAKING TO MY SALES PERSON ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS? IF SO PLEASE PROVIDE YOUR NAME. IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO EMAIL ME PLEASE DO SO AT [email protected], THANKS.
  • steel23steel23 Member Posts: 11
    I also have recently ordered a new Vantage which is due to be delivered in April '08. I wish I had read this thread before i put the deposit down. I am especially concerned as I live an hour and a half to the nearest dealership (Lake Forest Motor Sports near Chicago). Do you suggest I take possession of the car and that this thread is too negative and not a true barometer of AM's reliability or should I take my loss and get out without before i lose some real money? I love the looks of this car and it's driveability. I have a MB SLK 55 AMG for blasts from 0-60....but this car is a thing of beauty and i have wanted one since 1963!

Any advice would be appreciated.
    MY car has now arrived and not sure if i want it, I have spoken with two other owners that have either had there car replaced or the engine replaced?????????
    Oh man....that does not make me feel any better!
  • vasivasi Member Posts: 2
    Because somebody had bad luck with one car that doesn't mean all Astons are bad cars.
    I had mine for 3 months now and 2000 miles without any problems.
    I was also scared changing from 10 years of Porsche experience (968,Boxster,Boxster S,996 C4S,997 C2S)
    but I am very happy with the AMV8 and in general I like it more than the Porsches.

Thanks
    VK
  • cheekymonkeycheekymonkey Member Posts: 19
    I agree with you on that comment. No car is perfect. You will always have problems with any new or used car you buy. Although I am now at 2000 miles also, in my replacement Vantage, so far, so good. Only minor problem with this one, just like the last (and with many Astons, Porsches and others fitted with Brembo brakes alike) is that the brakes squeel.
    I wouldn't loose any sleep over it. No doubt you will get a very nice car and be fairly trouble free. Anyway, have you not realized Mercedes has a terrible reputation for reliability (and customer service). Just go check consumer reports and the car magazines in your local bookstore. They all say the same thing about MB and I don't think there is one model that has ever ranked average or above. When comparing reliability with AM and MB the Aston wins hands down, and that's a fact!
    Very true, however the very title of this thread "lemon" refers to many people who have had problems. I am going through with my purchase regardless as I just can't get this car out of my head. Delivery is scheduled for April after a March build and it seems like a lifetime away. When I mentioned the contents of this discussion to my salesman, he responded they have had no "repetitive or recurring" issues with the car - exactly the response I expected to hear from the salesman. I am hoping he is correct.....but expecting he isn't.
    Well Cheekymonkey, I certainly have no intention to start a discussion or comparison with MB as I will soon own both cars, but I will say the SLK55 Amg I have has been absolutely bulletproof with not one unexpected service call in 8,000 miles. If I am as fortunate with the Vantage, I will be a happy man indeed!
    How do you current owners of the AM V* feel about the future $800 oil and filter changes?
    That's the price you pay when you get up to a prestige marque. No doubt Bentley, Rolls Royce, Masarati, Lotus etc. all have similar pricing for services. Doesn't a Ferarri cost around $4k min per service visit. If it really cost $800 for one oil filter and a gallon of oil then I will do it myself!
    Yes and I started the thread with my personal experience. Thankfully my replacement didn't/hasn't turned out to be the same. Looking back, its my opinion that the problems I had could have been fixed (even if that meant 2 or 3 visits to the dealership) if only the dealership has dealt with the problem properly, instead of ignoring it or trying to dismiss it. I guess that's how I learnt not to go back to that dealership again, for sales or service (at The Collection, Coral Gables, Florida). Now I use another dealership who is more 'capable'. I think some others in this thread have also experienced similar issues when it comes to service visits. Therefore, the dealer you buy your AM from may not be the best to have it serviced at, and vice versa. That too doesn't just apply to the AM brand.
  • vasivasi Member Posts: 2
    Steel23,

I have to tell you one thing.

The moment you drive your AMV8 and you hear the engine/exhaust sound after 4000rpm, you will forget all the bad things about Astons and all the cars you had before.

At least personally I really love it and you get a satisfaction even if you don't go super fast.

Good luck with your purchase!

V
    Thanks Vasi

After the test drive I took....I know exactly what you are saying!
    That is true. Even better... just remove fuse # 21 (or maybe #22, I can check & confirm) from one of the fuseboxes in the right side of the trunk and the exhaust flaps stay open all the time. No need to wait for them to open at 4000rpm.
  • erinskyerinsky Member Posts: 1
    I am a repeat Aston Vantage V8 buyer and I am very please with the quality and performance. I traded in my 2006 for a 2007 convertible, both with absolutely no trouble at all. I have owned many exotics, including the 91 Testarossa I have now. Ferraris are very high maintenance, just look at the cost of spark plug wires ($900). Typical maintenance on the Ferrari runs $9-11k. All marks have there advocates, some deserving, some not. I owned a 1995 Ferrari F355 which in the Ferrari Chat forum had developed an undeserved bad rep. for valve guide problems. While this was a proble with some, it was a small fraction of the total sold, but this witch hunt helped fuel the fire of skeptics. All my experiences with Aston Martin have been very positive.
    John
    Glad to hear this John. My car is not due to be delivered until April and hearing current owners speak in glowing terms about their cars only makes the anticipation greater. My only solace is it is cold here and getting colder, and the car would be put away by now even if i had it. Spring cannot arrive soon enough!
    Good to hear some good news about the vantage, mine is due in a few weeks. I understand the oil and filter change is $800 have you experienced this?
  • andrewjnandrewjn Member Posts: 14
    Mine just stopped backfiring at 4,600 miles -- but only because I had them put fuse # 22 back in. I did love the open exhaust sound below 4,000 rpm (and may switch it back; I mean, what's a little popping?) but that did the trick.
  • kjaggerskjaggers Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Aston Martin Vantage with 2400 miles. Received the car in August and love the styling and panache. However, I've got a major safety issue. Each time I drive the car a bit over 50 miles, it stalls. I have to turn off the engine before the car will start. It happens in heavy traffic -- Beverly Hills, Santa Barbara and Las Vegas. It's now back at the dealer for the fourth time.

Anybody else have a comparable experience?
    Car discussion forums are full of stalling-on-warmup complaints. Most common suggested solutions: replacing/checking the coolant temp sensor; mass airflow sensor; air inlet temp sensor; cold start injector; vacuum hoses; O2 sensor.

An exhaust leak can cause the O2 sensor to read a falsely high air-to-fuel ratio and trigger the injectors to cut back their open time. The O2 sensor comes on after the engine's warmed up, thus the problem. I'm sure Aston techs know all this, and more idiosynchratic stuff besides. Good luck...
  • salboysalboy Member Posts: 1
    Please let me know where I can buy a new f430 Ferrari for $180,000
    A 2005 spyder USED is selling for 280,000 here in las vegas
    I also own a 2007 AM Roadster and thank god I have had no problems in any dept. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it stays that way. I also have a 2006 Xj and I have never had a problem other than bringing it in for oil change.
    Oil, filter change on the V8 Vantage should be around 320.00. They tell you 600-800 because they are supposedly checking the whole car but my people say its a crock. just tell them to do the oil and filter and nothing else. If it runs good leave it alone.
  • kansashickkansashick Member Posts: 39
    First, it is absolute BS that an oil change on a Vantage costs $800. It is part of the two year service that totaled, for mine, about $600.

Second, if you visited the AM Owners web site, www.amoc.org you would find that there have been very few, I count one, lemons and that AM has replaced problem cars -- even lemon lites.

I owned a very early build 2006 coupe for two years and had a few problems but no more than one would expect from an early build exotic. Later cars seem to have most of these issues sorted out. I take delivery of a new Vantage, an '07 roadster, next week.

It is a very special car though not as special as the Lexus LF-A that I have on order. Of course, the LF-A is going to cost quite a bit more than the Aston.
    Well...kansashick ...
    Firstly...
    As the original thread start I never mentioned anything about an oil change costing $600, $700 or $800 whatever. Somebody else mentioned that here, in this thread, so maybe you should correct that particular person.
    Secondly...
    Again, as the original thread starter my V8 Vantage was al lemon and bought back under Lemon Law in Florida. The choice, by my, and entirely at my discretion under the law, was to accept a replacement, of slightly higher specification, at no cost to me. The claim was filed with the Attorney General's office in Florida. So, as regards to your 'one only' lemon listed at the owner's club, it is not the job or duty of any ''owners club' to record such lemon claims. In the USA lemon claims are handled by the attorney general's office within each state. Each state records all such claims and most states will make the list public. In Florida, every single car that becomes a lemon, is made public and can e seen at their web site. I doubt very much that any owners club bothers to scour the internet and collect any such data. Therefore, regardless of how many it says at the owners club you refer to, that clearly is not a true picture, obviously. I personally have not 'registered' my experience at the owners club you mention, so I am out of the picture.
    Not really sure what you are actually trying to imply.

Anyway, enough said on that. My replacement Vantage is doing ok at 2500 miles. I have just had the 'fix' done for the sqealing brakes, at last! New, squeal free shims replaced the originals. A known problem with an AM fix, they said. They also fixed (replaced) the noisy oil pressure relief valve which sounded like a long fart, 5 minutes after a cold start. My previous Vantage suffered from both these problems but the Coral Gables dealer never fixed them. So, all in all, the car is going fine right now.
  • rezfrezf Member Posts: 29
    I picked up my specced out 08 Vantage Coupe in Dec 07. I have managed 1900 miles. I love the car. here are a short list of issues since ownership, all promptly fiexed:
    1) squeaky belt...fixed per service bulletin
    2) squeaky brakes...fixed per service bulletin.
    Both occurred at 300 miles

Everything has been perfect in the last 1600 miles, and I am driving it more and more as weather has been getting better in the DC area.

Unofortunately, we don't have a choice of dealerships in my area so I have to use my dealer which has been great so far.

As for the question on oil change, it is part of a more comprehensive service at 10k miles or 12 months of ownership...I have heard a fee of $900....expensive but it does include other things.
    I have about 800 miles on my 2008 Vantage and can't wipe the smile from my face! One issue has popped up a couple of times now and I wonder if anyone else has seen this: when on Sirius.....radio display reads "acquiring signal" yet continues to play uninterrupted. When this happens, I am unable to change stations whatsoever but can adjust volume and turn on and off. Anyone else experience this?
  • dfregolledfregolle Member Posts: 2
    My '08 Vantage with 3,000 miles on it failed yeserday on an LA freeway. Was passing a car - transmission revved and "no go". Fortunately was able to pull over to the right shoulder in VERY dangerous high-traffic area. Car was towed 56 miles to Aston Rancho Mirage. They "think" the clutch failed (auto transmission). Have lost faith in this car - do not trust it. Any suggestions? I want a new vehicle from Aston - as this cannot happen again. Lucky I am alive. :lemon:
  • cardude67cardude67 Member Posts: 2
    Funny mine did the same thing today. 65mph and bang the clutch and power were gone with trucks whizzing by.. This is the second car to do the same thing first one was an 07 and was assured it wouldn't happen again on the newer updated tranmission on the 2008.. I'm done.. My Mercedes and BMW's may not have the same feel or status but they never left me stranded for 2 hours on the side of the road.
  • dfregolledfregolle Member Posts: 2
    Aston HQ told me that they have not experienced this in the US....only in Europe. Funny thing as I was at Aveda the following week and another customer's husband had the same failure. Car is running great now....shifts better, runs better. Still one of the best looking cars on the road!
  • cardude67cardude67 Member Posts: 2
    The service rep told me that they have seen it before and that some cars have the old clutch and that they have an updated clutch and that they don't know which cars have the old clutch so they have to fail in order to replace them. This was my life on the line as my car lost complete control of power... If this was the first time this happened I may over look it. I love the car but quality on the 2007 was bad and I have lost faith with 4500 miles on this car it doesn't feel right. I agree the car is great looking, but if someone told me you would have to replace the clutch every 2-3000 miles I would have passed.
  • vodavoda Member Posts: 2
    I'm currently looking to pick up a used Vantage (06 or 07), but sounds like a lot of issues to deal with. Are all these clutch problems with the automatic only? How is the build quality after a little use (lots of rattles, squeeks, etc.)? I'd really like to see a list of the most common problems and the difference between the '06 and '07. If the car is more trouble then its worth, I'll just get another Porsche. I have a Porsche dealer 1/2 hour away, but the AM dealer is 1.5 hours so I don't want to be making a lot of repair trips or paying for long distance towing. Appreciate the info and thoughts on this situation.
  • bogsterbogster Member Posts: 2
    I CAN TELL YOU THAT AS A FORMER ASTON SALESMAN THAT THE FACTORY HAS HAD TO BUY-BACK MANY VANTAGES UNDER THE LEMON LAW. AND THAT ALMOST EVERY 2008 DB9 HAD BAD FUEL PUMPS THAT WOULD FAIL WITHIN SEVERAL MILES. THE FACTORY IS AWARE OF THIS, BUT INSTEAD OF DOING A RECALL TO REPLACE THE FAULTY PUMPS, THEY CHOSE TO WAIT UNTIL THE UNITS FAIL, LEAVING OWNERS STRANDED... :lemon:
  • bogsterbogster Member Posts: 2
    STAY AWAY FROM THE SPORT SHIFT TRANSMISSION. TERRIBLE COMPROMISE...ALSO PAY ATTENTION TO THE LEATHER DASH TOP, THESE SHRINK AND PULL AWAY. IF ASTON WOULD ONLY LEAVE SOME EXTRA LENGTH ON THE BACK SIDE IT WOULD ALLOW FOR SOME NATURAL SHRINKAGE WITHOUT PULLING OUT... FUEL MILAGE SUCKS!
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Hi, bogster,

Typing in all caps makes it look like you're shouting. And maybe you really ARE shouting :) but things just look better with the caps lock off.

Need help getting around? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• renocars1renocars1 Member Posts: 1
    THE WORST DEALER EVER I bought almost $ 500,000 worth of NEW Aston Martin cars one DBS and one V8 Vantage. The cars were in such bad condition asked the factory rep. to come to my home and look for themselves.
    When the rep came over he found the engine cooling fans defective, wheels out of balance, rattles thru-out the car, the driver’s side window leaked air, the air conditioner compressor was bad and more. NOW that was on a BRAND NEW $300,00 Aston Martin DBS
    Then my NEW 2009 Aston Martin V8 Vantage had door opening problems, Mirror Problems, rattles everywhere, alarm problems and many other problems. Remember this is a BRAND NEW 2009 V8 Vantage loaded with issues when I got the car NEW!!
    So I can’t the Sales Manager for After Market sales in the USA for Aston Martin Mr. Gary Hyman. HE came to my home which was very nice but since I had just spent $ 500,000 on two cars that had many issues I think it was the least they could do. During our visit ME Hyman agreed that almost every issues I had was real and needed to be fixed.
    Mr. Hyman said they would sent a truck to pick up my DBS first then when they returned the DBS fixed they would pick up the Vantage fix it and return the car to me ( Mr Hyman’s email to me)
    Email from Gary Hyman after they picked the car up and sent it to Las Vegas 8 hours away from me, if I had to go pick it up they should have sent the car to Calif. Just a 3 hour drive from me. Mr. Hyman now states sorry we changed our mind you come get the car breaking the legal contract we had , DO NOT TRUST ASTOM MARTIN AND HERE IS PROOF.
    Gary

Here is a email with the agreement we had not only by phone but in writing with this email, a agreement is a contract and if you would like to change it I will fly down get the car and dive it back, then I will use the means I have to recover my daily cost, air fare, hotel etc.
    Mr Lentini
    First I apologise for not answering your emails , I was not purposely ignoring you I have been conducting a service clinic at a dealer the last 2 days and then drove 3 ½ hours home last night .
    You are absolutely right about the paintwork and there is no excuse, as agreed I will have the car collected on the return of the V8 and attended to by the body shop.
    Your emails have been forwarded to the general manager of Gaudin Aston martin and I will call you on Monday morning to discuss .
    Best regards,
    Gary Hyman
    Next when the dealer Gaudin in Las Vegas NV had my DBS they installed a new drivers window moulding and made the window leak more air and the wind noise was unbelievable. And they rubbed out the left rear fender with the wrong equipment leaving the fender with REALLY BAD CIRCLES in the paint.
    ( all the photos, emails, and letters about this will be posted on www.astonmartininfo.com in a few days so you can see just how badly they screwed up the cars, and lied to us.
    So Gaudin in Vegas was to pick up the car and fix the wind noise they put in the car, and it was agreed Aston Martin would send the car to a Exotic Car Paint shop to see how to fix the finish on the car the dealer really screwed up.
  • kansashickkansashick Member Posts: 39
    Same thing happened to me but, after I glided to the side of the road, the car restarted and I did not encounter the problem again. I have since sold the V8V but must admit that I sometimes miss it. But, not on long trips. I now have a Mercedes S63.
  • lizbobjlizbobj Member Posts: 2
    I have spoken to a few U.S. Aston Martin factory trained mechanics and came away with the impression that they did not believe that there were any design issues with a V8 Vantage clutch. However, many of these technicians have not seen many high mileage cars. Most V8 Vantages in the U.S. have less than 20,000 miles on them.

Next, I spoke to a technician in the UK who had seen a number of cars with mileage well in excess of 20,000 miles. He agreed that there is no design flaw with a V8 Vantage clutch. He has seen some cars do 60,000 miles with no problems. In his opinion, it all boils down to whether the clutch has been abused by owners who either ride the clutch pedal or who try to do F1 style starts from a stand still. Because the V8 Vantage is a high performance car, owners tend to punish their clutches more than those in more mundane transportation.

The UK technician felt that clutches with 20 - 30,000 miles on them may be prone to failure in the not too distant future if they have had a rough life. He also said the same is true for Ferrari, Lamborghini, and other exotics. The difference is that the clutch on Italian exotics will cost a lot more to replace than the clutch on an Aston Martin.

The UK technician identified the following warning signs of imminent clutch problems:
    1. A heavy clutch pedal.
    2. High bite point.
    3. Bad smell.
    4. Clutch won’t stall engine when brakes are applied firmly.

The UK technician also said that a V8 Vantage clutch can be fine one day and then fail the next. He also said that it should take about 10 hours of labor for an experienced technician to replace the clutch.
  • stang011stang011 Member Posts: 1
    do you have any contact name and numbers for aston? thanks
  • lizbobjlizbobj Member Posts: 2
    Sorry, I don't have any names and numbers. I simply called some of the biggest dealerships in the U.S. and UK and asked to speak to a service technician. I didn't take any names because I had no intention of quoting the person "on the record".

I didn't want to get a service technician in trouble for providing an opinion to me.
    Hey CarDude67 -- just saw your post from '09 after searching for Vantage 2007 Clutch. Mine burned out on the fwy yesterday and left me clutchless, more or less as you describe. Car's still waranteed but Service is trying to tell me it may be "normal wear and tear" and charge me $5,200. I have 28k miles. How did you deal with your dealer? Thanks -- Andrew
  • newv8vnewv8v Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased a 2007 V8V Auto with 25k miles. Car went into neutral at a red light and could not be place into gear. After several attempts, the vehicle went into fault mode and would not re-start. Has anyone had or heard of this experience?
  • ideamondialeideamondiale Member Posts: 1
    Did the message screen in the odometer read: "fault gearbox reduced function" ?
  • newv8vnewv8v Member Posts: 2
    yes, it turned out to be an ASM pump. $1,700.00 after two weeks of ownership. The AM dealer knocked $700.00 off because they felt sorry for me.
    Running fine now.
  • omegadentalomegadental Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2012
    Did you fix the problem right away or you waited until it got worse?
  • John_flaxman88John_flaxman88 Member Posts: 2
    Im so sorry to hear that. Were you able to get a full refund. Something like this has happen'd to my friend a long time ago with a different model. Sadly, these things happen.

I previously owned a 2016 Aston Martin DB9 GT Volante and it was the best car I have ever bought. Everything about it was as smooth as can be, but I had to get rid of it due to some financial issues.

I wouldn't give up on Aston Martin's just yet my friend.