Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GM Speedometer lawsuit filed

Comments

• needafixneedafix Member Posts: 3
    I don't know if this has been listed somewhere previously but I just wanted to pass some info along. I have an 04 Tahoe and I found the "speedometer letter" that a lot of people were talking about. The vehicles in my letter that are covered are,

QUOTE from letter; "If this condition occurs on your 2003 or 2004 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV or Escalade EXT: Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban or Tahoe; GMC Sierra, Yukon or Yukon XL vehicle witin seven (7) years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 70,000 miles; whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge."

It then goes into about how to go about getting it fixed and a lot of legal stuff.
    I recently had the problem, the speedometer started to twitch and then stopped completely and then wold get faster as I went slower. But to make a long story short, I called the dealership, and they asked the miles and then said without delay, that it would be replace free of charge.
    Hope that helps!
    (I just wonder why there has not been a recall yet?)
  • bigchasebigchase Member Posts: 1
    I have read most of these post concerning the instrument cluster. I have 2001 Suburban that tonight on the way home started to lose all the gauges in the instrument cluster. If I hit a bump the battery light would come on and all the gauges except voltmeter would cut out and then come back on kind of like when you first start the truck. Did any of you have similar issues when your cluster was going bad? Any help would be appreciated. I'm going to try the dealer tomorrow to see if I can get answers. Thanks
  • Terrilyn36Terrilyn36 Member Posts: 2
    Well, I have good news regarding my speedometer in my 2004 yukon xl( 78,000 miles). I have been talking with gm about my problem. They told me to go to my local dealership and get an official diagnosis. I did, it was the instrument cluster and it had an internal failure. this cost me 42.50. GM actually contacted my local dealership,( this is not the dealership I bought my car from by the way), after about a week of waiting for a district manager to review my case, gm stated to my dealership that they would be paying for the entire cost of replacing the instrument cluster. hoooray!! There is hope, with a little patience. Don't let you local dealership tell you that it can't be done. Call the GM customer service number in your manual and talk to them. It worked for me>
  • 37DAD37DAD Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2005 Suburban yesterday from a used car dealer. It has 66,700 miles on it. On the way home from the dealership the speedometer started acting weird and then just stopped working. It is stuck on 30mph. It doesn't move. The dealership is a 2 hour drive from my house and the problem started when I was 5 miles from home. It was too late when I got home yesterday and they are closed today. It's not under warranty. What should I do? Help!
  • twintwo1twintwo1 Member Posts: 6
    hello from fla. reading all bad stories on here what i will do take my truck back where i got it from an let them deal with dealership to fix it .i was lucky to get mine fix free at the dealership. A lot of dealership are not doing the right or the best job for the custmors. The job can be handle under a so call recall .I have a 2005 tahoe with 50000 mile on it.If you dont let the place where you got it from you may have to fix it you self it is a 600.00 to 700.00 job it your choice. I would let the place where i got it from to deal with getting it fix. nathan
  • CoboundCobound Member Posts: 7
    Hey guys, just got mine fixed last week; for FREE. It took since Dec 16 to do it, but it finally got done. They tried to backpedal but in the end saw that it was the right thing to do.

My suggestion would be to make a 'warranty' appointment, that way you don't have to pay for the inspection, and be CALM throughout the process. Be prepared, know about the replacement rules but let them know that you are a GM customer and are more likely to be a GM customer in the future if you're taken care of today.

37DAD, I'd call the dealer IMMEDIATELY. Your vehicle is under the 70k mark, so you should be fine. Mine was at 110k, and I got it taken care of.

Some dealers are doing a 'good will' replacement, best of luck to you all in finding one. Ray Hutson in La Crosse, WI is top on my list again!

B
  • crewdawg28crewdawg28 Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2005 with 66K on it and my speedo went out. Chevy stated that I was not in the recall but may be under the case action settlement which is pending. My ext warrenty covered it but cost me $100.00. I complained to Chevy and they sent me a $200.00 voucher for any service which I used today. Try that...
  • 37DAD37DAD Member Posts: 2
    I had my 2005 Suburban speedometer problem verified yesterday at a GM dealership. The mileage was 66800. I called GM and they talked to the dealership. GM called me back and told me to go pound salt. They are not going to help me get my speedometer fixed because I bought the vehicle used at a Honda dealer. If I would have bought it at a GM dealership (new or used) they would have consider helping me. So my speedometer doesn't work and I must get it fixed myself at my expense. This really ticks me off. I have bought 4 GM vehicles over the past 20 years and this is how I get the shaft from them.
  • bigd35bigd35 Member Posts: 5
    After several phone calls to GM and speaking with management, they did approve replacement of the cluster for my 2004 Suburban. The dealership said it would have cost around $450 if they had not approved. I told them it started acting up at 62,000 miles which is true. The challenge with getting anything fixed is it has to be completely broken in order for the dealerships to verify it needs replacement.
  • yu_cantyu_cant Member Posts: 2
    If you have the letter can you please send it to me carlyn.seay@gmail.com thanks in advance
  • yu_cantyu_cant Member Posts: 2
    If you dont mind can you please send me that letter I have been looking for mine cant find it and now I have a court date for speeding because I was clocked at 93 in a 45 speed zone. My speedometer is all over the place and when I call about getting it fixed just like everyone else I get the run around. But I want the letter so show the judge that hey there is a problem with this thing and im not at fault
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    I think you'll be hard pressed to convince any judge, that you can't tell or know the difference between 93 and 45 without a speedometer. Don't be surprised if you loose your license.

Confuse 55 w/45 perhaps, but 48 mph over the limit...forget it.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    there is a problem with this thing and im not at fault

How could you not be at fault? You were behind the wheel and, no matter how you cut it, there is a world of difference between 45 and 93 mph. IMHO, you were lucky to escape with only a ticket.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • nakeitanakeita Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 Chevy Tahoe with 87000 miles on it. Problem is Internal Gauge Cluster defect. In other words, the speedometer doesn't work. Chevy/GM admits that certain VINs had defective clusters installed (including mine) yet they will not recall them and/or replace them unless the vehicle has less then 70000 miles on it.

The fact that this is a defective part and not just normal wear and tear and also that thousands of Chevy/GM owners are experiencing the exact same problem should constitute a recall, regardless of mileage.

There are speed limits set on all roads because it is unsafe to drive at too high of a speed. If we could all accurately judge how fast we were going we would not need speedometers. However, we do need them and when all of the sudden your speedometer starts going crazy (i.e. show your speed as 120 when you are in fact doing 30 or showing it at 35 when you are doing 75) IT BECOMES A SAFETY CONCERN.

The dealership where I purchased my car, Sands Chevrolet in Glendale Arizona, wants $575 to fix THEIR DEFECTIVE PART and the corporate offices for GM/Chevrolet will not help me. They told me this after making me take the vehicle to the dealership to get a diagnostic done. The diagnostic confirmed what I already knew and the dealership Sands Chevrolet in Glendale Arizona (who apparently doesn’t want my business ever again) said they can’t (won’t) help me due to the mileage. I got back with the GM Rep who “was going to take care of me” only to be told… sorry… we can’t (won’t) help you due to mileage.

This is an outrage and we need to do something about it. This is NOT NORMAL wear and tear. IT IS A DEFECTIVE PART (and Chevy/GM admits this). Help me do something about it. One of the things we can do it to MAKE AN OFFICIAL COMPLAINT. Go to www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov (note the dash after www, not a dot). This is the website for the governments Office of Defects Investigation and they do the following…

(Put the complaint under: Vehicles: Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM: INSTRUMENT PANEL)

About the Office of Defects Investigation (ODI)…
    The Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) is an office within the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). ODI conducts defect investigations and administers safety recalls to support the NHTSA’s mission to improve safety on our Nation's highways. NHTSA is authorized to order manufacturers to recall and repair vehicles or items of motor vehicle equipment when ODI investigations indicate that they contain serious safety defects in their design, construction, or performance. ODI also monitors the adequacy of manufacturers' recall campaigns. Before initiating an investigation, ODI carefully reviews the body of consumer complaints and other available data to determine whether a defect trend may exist.
  • pb5pb5 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 piece of junk tahoe and the cluster went out yesterday while I was on the highway. The speedometer said I was doing 100, and when I stopped it said 30. I knew about the class action law suit, signed it and sent it in, but have not heard anymore about it. I took my truck to the maint dealer on 3/7/2009 and he told me since my truck was over the 70.000mi, I am going to have to pay 188.00 to cover the labor for my speedometer. There are 4 bolts that hold the cluster in and a plug that it plugs into. I asked t do it myself, but they said the have to program the unit to my vehicle. Now I see why they are going bankrupt! The good old american made auto! :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • pb5pb5 Member Posts: 3
    I feel your pain. I have a 2005 tahoe and my speedometer just went out 3/6/09. I took it to the dealer today (3/7/09) they said they could fix it for 188.00, the cost for labor, since I have 76000mi. I pulled the dash cover off took 2 minutes and exposed the 4 bolts that hold in the cluster. behind that is a plug that plugs into the cluster. They would not allow me to do it because they said they need to program the new cluster with my mileage and componets. Makes me think, did my care have the mileage it said it had when i purchased it. if they have to reprogram the new one. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • aggiemom0912aggiemom0912 Member Posts: 5
    no, you do not have to 'program' the cluster to your tahoe...that is a bunch of crap! i posted yesterday how to fix the cluster yourself (which my husband fixed mine), but i specifically stated who i bought the stepper motors from on ebay, and the monitors of this thread said i couldn't do that (oh well). do a little sleuthing on your own...each gauge is controlled by something called a stepper motor...gm's stepper motors go out around 70,000......there are better ones that will last a lot longer, which are easy to find on ebay...there is a guy on ebay (i can't say who) that will fix the cluster way cheaper than a dealership. my husband fixed my speedometer cluster in an hour.(a side note..he took the cluster to work for a day, and I drove it without the cluster in the car--looks funny, but the car will still run)..the part cost me $4.95.!! it is NOT hard to do either. you know, a lot of people bash GM, but I am going to continue to buy AMERICAN made stuff as long as I can-it may not be the 'best', but I will support our American workers as long as I can! I have always had a GM car or suburban.. the last suburban i had was a 92, and it had 300,00 miles on it when we traded it in for a used '03 3 yrs ago...hopefully the monitors will let this on the page, a lot of people can save a lot of money if they would...
  • tfaglertfagler Member Posts: 1
    I cannot find the post you mention about the instructions, can you link it? I looked through the thread and I only see this post from you.
    i posted where i found the instructions, but the monitors said i could not do that, so they removed my posts...it is easy to find, just google chevrolet recalls, you will find it...took me about 5 minutes! we bought 6 stepper motors from a great guy on ebay (easy to find as well..just type in 'stepper motor' on ebay motors...you WILL find the guy I am speaking of...his directions aren't as specific, but would still get the job done...or, send him the cluster and he will do it for you. If you know anyone that has any experience with soldering (sp?), it is an easy fix!! removing the cluster from the car does not affect the car's running, you just have a black hole to look at..sorta funny..and yes, once the cluster is re-installed, all the miles you put on the car will be accurately reflected...the computer in the car still works...good luck!! my speedometer is doing GREAT!!!
    better yet, just google....chevrolet suburban stepper motor instructions.....bingo!!
  • coconailcoconail Member Posts: 1
    so, if i have a broken speedometer in my 2005 silverado but haven't had it repaired yet, will the dealer do it at no cost? i 'm below 70,000 miles and they documented that it happened at 54,000...
    i wonder if the dealer will even know? they said they didn't even know of a lawsuit... :confuse:
  • nomorechevynomorechevy Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 silverado with the same issue. The speedometer slowly quit working and now it does nothing. I called the dealer also and they know nothing yet but told me to call back and keep checking. I dont suppose I am in the suit but i want it fixed. My trick has 58,ooo miles. It quit at 42,ooo or so. Let me know what you find out.
    try another dealer ship i have a 2005 tahoe they fix mine with no problem dont give up keep trying
    Did you have over 70000 miles on your vehicle when they fixed it? I had about 79000 when I first tried, now I have well over 80000.
  • tmasnelsontmasnelson Member Posts: 1
    This is crazy. I was driving down the highway yesterday and ran of gas even though it said i had 1/2 of tank and no matter how fast or slow I was going the speedometer said I was doing 10mph. I purchased this Tahoe with 87,000 miles on it so of course they won't help. So I would tell any body out ther looking for a used Chevy/GM to run as fast as you can in the other direction. :lemon: :lemon: :cry::cry:
  • gboogiegboogie Member Posts: 4
    Sound definately like GM is putting out a piece of garbage, 38000 miles speedometer is pegged at 120+ miles an hour, also rear hatch door lift are shot, I guess it is time for GM to go belly up, they are putting out garbage,
    I would like to join this lawsuit as well, 53000 miles, speedometer died, pegged at 120 MPH, and the Battery gauge has now failed, how can i get in on it?
  • jimm10jimm10 Member Posts: 6
    There is an unpublished GM extension on the instrument cluster up to 80k
    miles. The customer has to pay for installation and programming. I just had mine done
    at Buckalew Chevy in Conroe, Texas. Great 1 day service, washed truck, and now the A/C is blowing cold out of both sides. $ 137.
    I have a 2003 Suburban 1500 same exact issue, 56K miles, how do I find out about the GM Extension Instument cluster warranty???
  • garthwgarthw Member Posts: 15
    Sir.
    Would you please sane me a copy of THE Letter or any correspondence that woiuld help me with my dealer grtting my Alvalanche repaired !
    Thank You, mikewalll@yahoo.com
    Garth Wall
  • smokeysansmokeysan Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for this helpful information. I am currently stationed overseas and my speedometer just starting failing around the 90,000 mile mark. Thanks.
  • oliola1212oliola1212 Member Posts: 1
    I just had the same problem with the speedometer where it went to 120 and got stuck. I have a 2003 Tahoe with 90,000 miles on it. I live in Renton WA and was wondering how I become part of the lawsuit.
    How to Remove the Instrument Cluster on 2003 Suburban; This is good from 2003 thru 2007, Suburban, Z71, Tahoe,

On Ebay, purchase the Stepper Motors, I replaced all 6 for 24.50$ my 1 hour labor, and it is like new, anyone can do this, and the one guy that spoke about the dealer needed to calibrate, he was robbed!

Easy as it is written:
    push emergency brake and chock wheels, pull gear lever all the way down to (1st), tilt steering wheel all the way down, grab the big trim piece that goes from the left of the steering wheel to the right of the radio and pull it off (no screws), I did this from left to right, popped right off, then unscrew the 4- 7mm screws holding the cluster onto the dash, unplug the harness from the back of the cluster and Presto youre done!!!!!
    Vehicle is drivable with out this cluster, all info is saved automatically on the auto's computer. This unit is in 5 pcs, easy to take apart, front plate(clear viewing plastic cover) is removed by little clips on top and bottom, small flat head screw driver pry it over the clips a little, it pops off, then the back plastic cover same thing pry it off,( i was told that these (2)covers on different year models come off either first or second, just look at the clips, if they are clear, remove that one first, if blace then that one first, but they come off the same way. Remove the little needles of each instrument gauge, they slide straight off again be easy, dont be a hammerhead, the numbers and info sheet is just that a sheet of plastic, take it off, then the same clips to remove those 2 pieces to reveal the pc board. You need to be able to use a soldering iron, that is easy, internet has walk thru for that, simple.Just touch the tip of the soldering iron to each of the Stepper motor pins to melt the original solder. then pull thru front of pcb, slide the stepper motor in the 4 holes,(there is a nipple on the stepper motor, so it can only go on one way) and then drop a little bead of solder on each pin. Repeat it for the next 5 stepper motors, trust me I am not a good soldering person, still took me 15 minutes to replace all six motors. It is easy, the way I look at this, is I found the entire instument cluster brand new online for 125$, the worst thing I could have done was break the original and buy a new one, but in the end, mine is like new for 24.50$ and 1 hour of my labor, a few beers and i called it a good time!
  • texasenvoytexasenvoy Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,

I have been having problems with my speedometer for the past 6 months, off and on. I finally couldn't take it anymore and decided to check the internet to see if anyone else was having issues. I was shocked to find so many!!
    I talked to GM today and their response was that Envoys were not covered under the special coverage. I was told to get a diagnostic run on my truck by a GM service shop and to have it fixed. Once that's complete I can then send in my paperwork and then they'll decide IF they want to pay for it or not!!! Has anyone actually had their claim paid?
    I know there have been a few class action lawsuits filed because of this issue. Does anyone know of one in Texas? If not, is anyone interested in trying to create one?
    I don't understand why GM will not fix the problem when they know what it stems from. It's wrong that we as consumers have to pay for any repairs out of our own pockets first when GM knows of the defect!
  • autobuzzautobuzz Member Posts: 1
    Guy's I'm having the same problem on my chevy tahoe, 113K, I read to disconnect your negative cable from the battery for about 1 min, this will reset the stepper motor, I tried this, and I'm back in business, not sure how will this will last :)
    but it's working again.
  • arriearrie Member Posts: 312
    And is it not against the law to operate a car without a correctly working speedometer?

Arrie
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You're darned right it's against the law! But even without a speedometer, I can hardly believe that anyone wouldn't be able to tell the difference between 50 mph and 90 mph.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • arriearrie Member Posts: 312
    I think the guy is joking.

Everybody can tell the difference between 50 and 90 mph without a speedometer.

Arrie
  • darrin5darrin5 Member Posts: 1
    I am having this same issue and just thought I was crazy. I have replaced both speed sensors and didn't fix my issue. I re-set my computer by pulling the battery cable and now the Tahoe is starting to run bad. Seems wierd. Anyway can you point me in the right direction to be able to obtain of copy of the "Letter" or maybe send a copy? I will be taking my car in this week any any help soon would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!! d_piotrowski@comcast.net
  • pdnice3pdnice3 Member Posts: 2
    I know that you posted this a while back but I just came across this by chance. I have the exact same problem in my 2003 Z-71. The speedometer needle is all the way to the right at the max speed and my oil gauge doesn't work either. Were you able to resolve your issues? Thank you.

Pete D.
  • pdnice3pdnice3 Member Posts: 2
    I know that you posted this a while back but I just came across this by chance. I have the exact same problem in my 2003 Z-71. The speedometer needle is all the way to the right at the max speed and my oil gauge doesn't work either. Were you able to resolve your issues? Thank you.

Pete D.
    Sands Chevrolet in Glendale Arizona told me that it would not be covered under any type of warranty or this "recall" due to the mileage being over the limit.

I then contacted GM (Corporate office) and was directed to the "District Specialty Department". They said that the first thing I had to do was get a diagnostic report from the dealership and that they would contact the dealership to be sure I was not charged. The person I spoke with said that she was hopeful that if nothing else, GM would split the cost with me to fix the defective cluster if that is what was wrong with it.

A few days later the dealership called me back and told me to bring the Tahoe in for the diagnostic at no charge (gee...how nice, lol) but they again forewarned me that they would not perform the repair on the cluster for free and that they doubted GM would cover it either.

The Conclusion from the diagnostic was a defective cluster (duh). When I called the District Specialty Department back with the results they said to give it a few days while the results were evaluated. After the evaluation, they got back to me and said "Sorry, due to your vehicle being over the specified mileage, there is nothing we can do".

I called the dealership (Sands Chevrolet in Glendale Arizona) back to give them one more chance to keep my business as we would be in the market for a truck sometime in the next few months. No dice. They would not help me.

In June I traded in my Chevy Tahoe for a brand new loaded 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. If Chevy will not stand behind their vehicles and defective parts, then neither will I!
    yes i did. chev. paid for it. i had less than 70000 miles on a 2005 tahoe , they took care of the bill, there was one guy who bought the dash cluster on ebay an fix it him self gm did not paid for his repair
  • cjeberhacjeberha Member Posts: 1
    Is there form or site that I need to go to in order to have GM fix it without having to pay for it
  • gnj1958gnj1958 Member Posts: 5
    Our speedo started playing up a few days ago. I've been using the speedo on my GPS for now. Like many I thought I'd check out online to see if anyone else has had this problem and bingo here I am. We're lucky that although our truck is an 04 we have only put 45,000 miles on it. I'm gonna call GM CS and see what they suggest.

I tried the unhooking the battery negative thing posted above but it didn't help.
  • guesswho2guesswho2 Member Posts: 1
    Hi I have a 2003 yukon and a 2005 escalade and both my speedometers went out. Both speedometers are consider a defective item I was able to get my yukon speedometer changed out free of charge but the 05 cadillac they were'nt going to honor since i went over the 70kmiles . GMC did win a lawsuit for buying defective parts so they should be replacing these parts for us. report this towww.nhsta.dot.gov .
  • greg090662greg090662 Member Posts: 1
    What an Deal! I purchased a GM Certified 2003 Z-71 August 16th 2007 w 50641 miles on it. As many of you stated my Speedometer became stuck at 120 mph. Below are a list of my complaints.

1. Was there a recall notice sent on the instrument cluster? I did not receive one.

2. I took my Chevy Z-71 to my local dealership Don Helm Chevrolet during the week GM was canceling dealership. Service manager was gone, on vacation etc? Who knows? I spoke with a service writer who came and looked and at speedometer. At this point my Chevy Z-71 had LESS THAN 80,000 miles on it! I am told by Don Helm Service guy " I am not sure exactly which ones are covered and which are not?" I asked if he could find out if mine was? He replied well service mgr is out not sure when he will return from time off and i am not sure how to tell if yours is covered or not?

3. Several weeks later I decide to take Chevy Z-71 back to where I purchased it
    "GM Certified" Hanner Chevrolet, Baird Texas. At this point my Mileage is 82,000+or-. They sent me an estimate to fix the "gauge cluster" for $300 for parts and $127.50 labor plus tax. FULL RETAIL!!

4. I call and speak with one the principles explain my situation. He says let me check w service on it. He calls back and explains the following "Our hands are tied we cant help with cost at all". I said your kidding right? "No the "Class Action Lawsuit" has our hands tied. Since when does a class action lawsuit prevent a business from fair and equitable. When I called I simply for asked for some with charges. I informed the dealer principle to not do any work. ( my entire estimate for work to be done including the Gauge cluster was $2180.83.

5. Later i received a call from the same dealer principle. Well if you will let us do all the other work we can simply fix the stepper motor on on your speedometer at no charge. I explained my Oil pressure was out, RPM acts up etc. So a working speedometer but no oil pressure and RPM acting up? What a deal?

6. I then call GM customer Service 866-790-5700. I give details to one person who then takes my number later that day another person calls back asked me to explain to her the problem again. Why can't the first person ever be the person you need? Why?

7. After giving them my info, leaving my number two days later "No Return Call".
    I place another call back. After a the lady answers and puts me hold for 4 and half mins. She starts a long excuse why they cannot help me. Her biggest reason......because I didn't have documentation of the first visit with Don Helms Chevy in Graham Texas. This fails every fair and equitable test.

8. My next call to Hanner Chevrolet where my Chevy Z-71 is still at. Service Manager John Wheeler. I asked for my Z-71 be left outside the gate so that i could pick it up on my way through tonight. Hanner is an Hr and Half from my home. He informs me there is a $92.33 charge for diagnostic. For What I say? He first tells me for Injection Service, Gauge Cluster and 4 Wheel drive problem? After I disagree that why should I be charged for a diagnostic problem gauge cluster that is known to be bad. He recants and tells me that i was not charged for the cluster diagnosis on the cluster. He then decides to visit about the charges of the gauge cluster. His explanation " How do expect me to help with your charges when, we only made $200 on the sale of your car, we haven't seen your car in our shop since you bought it and you just come in cold"? I asked him if this passed the Grandma test? Would feel good about a business treating your Grandma this way? His reply "YES". Yes he made me pay the $92.33 charge which I did.

In closing, How is a "Class Action Lawsuit" settled and owners not involved held to the settlement? How can GM know their to be a problem and " Not Do The Right Thing"? How can Hanner Chevrolet sell a "Certified Car" and then want to stick it to you by charging retail for a problem that they know is real and has been real for a long time. Wasn't this a problem on some vehicles in August of 2007 when I purchased mine? Then why did Hanner not repair and replace the gauge cluster before they sold it to me? I read documented case after documented case these gauge clusters were bad on Chevy Cars with less than 50,000 miles like mine when I bought. Keep in mind I went to Don Helm Chevy when my Chevy had lass than 80,000 miles. One would think with all the tax payers bailout money GM and Hanner Chevy could do better than this.
    Hanner and GM should asked " Could this type of problem" be why we not ad successful as we could be?
    I currently own GMC Yukon, HD2500 Pick-up, Z-71 Suburban. All Paid for. I will start the process to sell all of them. I have always driven GM products. As of today no more! Hanner and GM asked yourself if how much is going to cost you to replace a customer? Was it worth it? Come on Chevy owners stand up lets dont take this someone help me start a campaign to tell others how inequitable this is!
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    one solution

I'm sure there are other companies doing similar services

I haven't had any problems with my speedo, but if it ever does....I'm ready with a plan.
  • rdmackay1rdmackay1 Member Posts: 1
    My wife's speedo on her 03 Tahoe went out two weeks ago.
    I understand why now. However will driving it still cause any other problems or should this be fixed ASAP. Thay want to charge me 80.00 for a test to determine if it's a warranty problem or not. We have 63,000 on it aqnd according to what I'm reading we will be able to get fixed with no charge. Does anyone have additional info that will help us? Thank You