Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Smart Fortwo

Comments

• phartneyphartney Posts: 4
    Saw and read up on the Smart DIESEL. When will this be coming from the other side of the pond? It is rating it to get 80 MPG !!!!?
  • ruebezahlruebezahl Posts: 2
    I resent the car being called a death trap! I realize that it is one, if not the smallest vehicle currently on the road. I also owned beetles in the past where the only safety features were government imposed seat belts and a design change preventing the steering wheel column from becoming imbedded in a driver's body on frontal impact.
    There will always be larger cars on the road no matter what you own. Unless you drive a garbage truck or a commercial truck.
    Driving a smart makes one realize that one must be more on the defensive and alert than driving an older Impala for example, yet that is not the issue here. Times are a changing! Future vehicles will be more attractive just because of over crowding and the unreasonable gas cost issue. Squeezing the obese into these cars is another matter...
    I own my smart now since February and am satisfied with it, as a matter of fact I am delighted with it.
    It sat at the dealership for two weeks until I broke down and finally took it home.
    I too feared the strange transmission and the two year warranty really stinks, yet I embraced the smart and it's little foibles and have not regretted yet buying it.
    When I drive 90 mph on I-75 the mileage certainly drops and I don't do it often because the gendarmes don't appreciate it. In addition the A/C lowers the mileage too. So I then only see about 33mph all around, otherwise I get about 38 on the average with minimal A/C use. Never hit 40 mpg yet, but so what...and the transmission... it is now a non issue.
  • mmm1mmm1 Posts: 54
    I may want to paint the body panels on my Smart car. I have read somewhere that the panels are made of a plastic call "MIC" which I believe is a plastic with the color molded into the plastic. I was told recently that this type of plastic cannot be painted and that if they are painted the paint will not adhere well at all. I've seen pictures of Smart cars that have obviously been painted with custom designs so I am rather confused about this issue. Anyone have any information on this subject? Thanks.
  • mrc59mrc59 Posts: 1
    Anyone have any idea when reservations will be honored? I'm in the mid-Atlantic region.
  • mmm1mmm1 Posts: 54
    Don't know about reservations but I just picked up my Smart from Checkered Flag in Virginia Beach yesterday and only had to wait about 2 1/2 months on the Orphan List. I was # 160 when I got on the list in early May so that was very quick. Also, got the exact car that I had requested when I sent in my $99 and got on the reservation list.
  • Just came back from Canada. They have a new model, the Limited One. Really sharp. Most extras! Tan leather overall, matte brightwork, light blue exterior.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,902
    A reporter would like to speak with Smart Car owners in the U.S., including those who are disappointed with their purchase. Please respond to jwahl@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than Friday, August 8th

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• My Smart Car is scheduled to arrive in November. As I've equipped it, the list price is just over $16k, including destination fee but not tax. Knowing this car is in high demand, I expect I'll have to pay the sticker price. Perhaps. Is anyone out there haggling with their dealers for a better price?
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    If they aren't haggling then they should after the article I read this past weekend. It sure did rack it over the coals. I sure wouldn't buy one after that article.
  • prigglypriggly Posts: 642
    A current review of informedforlife.org's SCORE (Statistical Combination Of Risk Elements) gives the 2009 Smart Fortwo 2-Dr. a score of 162. This is the poorest score of ANY vehicle tested and comes in DEAD LAST! Which is what you'll be if you get in a serious accident inside this death trap.

It ranks in the "worst 10% for 2003-2009."

http://www.informedforlife.org/demos/FCKeditor/UserFiles/File/1MasterSCOREr.pdf
  • I Have A EUROPEAN 2005 Smart Fortwo made by Mercedes, and I get about 54mpg, Mine does NOT have a Mitsubishi engine !! :shades:
  • A Safe Smart Car

The smart car designers must have known that the size of the smart would raise questions of safety. In the event of an accident, how are occupants better protected beyond door beams, seat belts and airbags?

Design a safety shell, like a walnut, and make it very strong. This high-strength "Tridion" frame has the ability to absorb tremendous impact, and although no automaker can guarantee against injury, to date this is the single-most important element of the smart.

three-star (out of four) European safety rating for Mercedes-Engine fortwo

Completed in April 2008, U.S. safety ratings on the 2008 smart models provided an overall four-star rating out of five. European ratings range from one star to four stars. U.S. ratings range from one star to five stars.

The smart has ranked competitively with similar-size and much larger cars. The following video is a graphic example of how this car performs in a designed crash at 70 MPH into a concrete barrier. You may be amazed by the result.
  • gregg_vwgregg_vw Posts: 2,422
    Just can't help yourself, can you? :P
    You are clearly in denial.
    And you are clearly stuck in repeat mode, strangely so in a thread about a car in which you have no interest in buying or driving.
    People have a right to know the truth about the "Smart." Wouldn't you love to suppress every negative article about it, such as the one reported by dmathews3 in post #315?
    Why me, because I spoke the truth. I dug out the aricle in my Lansing State Journal Business Weekly section on Labor Day. This article was written by Mark Phelan of the Detroit Free Press. Headline is "Smart Fortwo fashionable but flawed. He compares it to the Aveo, Fit, Versa, Scion XB or the Mini Cooper. He states they are all superior to vastly superior. They have more room, power better rides and higher quality. Interior cheap materials like nubby fabric on doors, poor fitted carpet & floor mats plus cupholders to small to hold a large capuccino securely. Latch on rear window broke and couldn't be closed. Poor shift quality, engine vibration annoying and on an on. I suggest you find the article and read it yourself as it sure didn't do them any good. Reminds me of the Yugo roadtests of old. And we all know how long those things lasted.
    Here is the article http://tinyurl.com/6dcjyb
    :lemon: :sick: :P
    dmathews3, thanks for your input and link to the illuminating and profoundly negative article.

There is one factor that the article did not mention: the Smart is a more dangerous vehicle than any of the far better quality competitors to which it was compared. ALL of them score better on the informedforlife.org safety analyses.

As the article says, and I quote, "If you want good value and quality in a small, fuel-efficient car, buy a Chevrolet Aveo, Honda Fit, Mini Cooper, Nissan Versa or Scion xB. If you want cute, adopt a puppy."
    My wife just spent 25K on a new kitchen so maybe I would take the Smart over the puppy in this case. :shades:
    You might want to re-think that. The puppy can be housebroken, the Smart cannot!
    People have a right to know the truth about the "Smart." Wouldn't you love to suppress every negative article about it, such as the one reported by dmathews3 in post #315? Of course people have a right to know, and every bias and slant can be heard for all I care. But you come back and come back to a forum where you are hostile to anyone that finds a reason to like the car or want to buy it.

There is reason to wonder when someone becomes a fanatical naysayer in a forum where others are coming to share their experiences, ask questions, or explain why a model might satisfy their particular needs. Sounding your warning once or twice or three times even I can see. But you have nothing new to say that you haven't said before, and you aren't persuaded by any of the reasons that people who own the car chose it, Why should you be surprised when people aren't persuaded by your postings? You have almost no experience with the car, but you have sure have taken it on as a crusade regardless.

Everyone measures different things. For every negative article (and I have read several) there is another that approves the little beast. I considered the smart and rejected it, but friends bought smarts and couldn't be happier with their purchases. It still has higher safety ratings than the littlest Kia or Hyndai or Aveo, and I'd much rather be in an accident in a smart than on a scooter or motorcycle. But that's just me.
    You might want to re-think that. The puppy can be housebroken, the Smart cannot! Ok, your stature has grown with me...you have a sense of humor. :)
  • Ok U guys are talking about the smart cars being manufactured for the USA, So maybe ur right on the safety , all Im saying is that mine is NOT made for the USA it is the european model and was imported has a mercedes engine and it gets VERY GOOD SAFETY RATINGS !!! :blush:
  • For safety evaluations from a group that has credentials that count, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, see this link:

http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr051408.html
    It's been made about as safe as a car that small and inexpensive can be with current technology. Today, going to work, I passed someone driving an old Beetle (pre-1998). Now there was a popular small car that is indisputably a greater "death trap" than any smart. Got to thinking about all the cars on the road yet which have no airbags (or only one) and no safety cage engineering per se. They are more common than motorcycles and scooters.
  • once again I have a european 2005 shipped here from europe, its is NOT the same car that is coming to the US with a mitsubishi engine, the ratings on 2005 are AWESOME !!

http://en.autos.sympatico.msn.ca/reviews/marc_lachapelle/article.aspx?cp-documen- tid=635923
  • plektoplekto Posts: 3,738
    Not surprising, since highway MPG is directly related to the engine's displacement(you only need ~35hp to overcome air resistance, IIRC - the rest is there for hills and so on), since the engines are mostly idling/using as little fuel as possible.
  • I can state for a fact that some of the information in this list is inaccurate. I have one of the first 300 Kia Rondos sold in the US and it has side airbags. the list says w/oSAB and is therefore wrong.
    Did all of the Kia Rondos sold in the US have SAB?

The list overall presents the single best evaluation of the overall safety of vehicles. It takes into consideration the results of both NHTSA and IIHS data along with other variables.
This discussion has been closed.