Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Outlander Modifications and Accessories

2»

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited November 2012
    That may be okay if you leave it in the garage most of the time (mount a second spare or just call an auto club when you're in town?). But I use my hatch thousands of times more than I need to fix a flat* and having to swing the spare out of the way every time would get old fast. Out wheeling it could make sense.

(* I seem to average about one flat a year, and I know the rain and mud drill. :sick: )
  • batman47batman47 Member Posts: 606
    This toy is not to be used permanently in the car. I think it is applicable only when the user wants to adventure out of tarmac roads (e.g. gravel, rocky paths, mud, snow or ice). It is much better to have a full size spare tire to continue the adventure than the replacement OEM spare tire.

However after a phone with the manufacture technician I was told that the OEM Outlander tow hitch is Class II and their spare tire carrier require a Class III hitch with an opening square drawbar: 2 "(51 mm). The OEM Outlander tow hitch has a drawbar: 1.25” (32 mm).

Class III tow hitch provides the torsion capability to support the total weight of a full size 225/55R18 tire or bigger. The Class III tow hitch sold for this manufacturer is able to carry a full size spare tire as well as towing a boat or a caravan at the same time.
  • batman47batman47 Member Posts: 606
    The Outlander OEM all weather floor mats (MZ314175, $ 124) front and rear area is a good bet. Perhaps the set is $20 above after market prices but they fix neatly onto the Outlander area and they have the Outlander logo and they are washable.
    I should know better but it's been so long since I bought a new car I forget that they don't come with full size spares any more (even SUVs). I had to get one for my van back in '99 but luckily it fit underneath where the compact one lived.

Interesting about the torque, but it makes sense. A heavy tire would want to bounce around back there, especially on the trails.

Can't say I've ever seen a tire bag for protection underneath.
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    I mounted a Reese class III hitch on my '07 Outlander this year, I don't think I saw an aftermarket class II. I have the Weathertech mats in mine, they fit good and are wearing well. My 2012 Mustang came without a spare, just a can of fix-a-flat and a small compressor.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    It's my understanding (could be wrong though) that it's not an SUV thing but an AWD/4WD thing. 4WD has to have the same size tire on all corners so spares have to be full size. Of course, the fix-a-flat option would be valid for 4WD if the carmaker wanted to save a few dollars & pounds.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
    edited December 2012
    Hm, I think it's the circumference that's critical, not necessarily the footprint for AWDs. My AWD wagon has a compact spare for example. A full size fits in the spare tire well okay but it's too fat for the little shelf to fit in there with it. My old CJ-5 had a full size but I don't even know if they had compact spares back in '74. :-)

The first accessory I got for my '99 minivan was a full size spare (and it paid off too). I threw away one of the bench seats so the extra weight of the spare was offset.