Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Neon Modifications

dig6dig6 Member Posts: 1
edited October 2014 in Dodge
I bought my 05 Neon because of it's infamous value. The car turned out to be much more than just an economy car. I added a jet chip for $223.00, aftermarket catback exhaust for $267.00 and a cheap little performance module for $23.00. After only $513.00, my Neon went from 132 HP, to 189 HP. Easy HP for cheap. The downside... most aftermarket parts for the newer Neons are very pricey. All in all, I absolutely love this car.

Comments

• rheems1rheems1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Dodge Neon SXT, someone said that if you remove the top of the air cleaner box that it will improve performance by allowing more air to enter the motor. Is this true and if you do this.. will it hurt the motor in any way. The filter is still in place, just not pulling air through the small tube.

Thank you,

Dave Fritz
  • tridurvitridurvi Member Posts: 4
    That is an excellent question, I would like to no the answer to that also.
  • kalevrakalevra Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for some low cost modifications for performance and handling. I'm on an extremely tight budget and I'm looking for a little more horse power or a little better handling at high speeds. I already have a cold air intake installed and I was thinking about getting a strut bar hoping it will fix the tire vibration over 80mph. I'm not sure if a strut bar will help or if it needs a stronger sway bar. Any suggestions or thoughts?

Also, any exterior mods that will look good on a yellow neon?
  • blackic3blackic3 Member Posts: 3
    Thats true. If you think about it, an aftermarket intake has the tube then a cone shaped filter on the end. It is designed like that, so it can suck more air quicker. Therefore, if you take the lid off, you are allowing more air to be brought in quicker. Or, you could go to your local auto store and purchase an universal cone filter for around $20. Just take off the whole box and insert the cone on the end of your factory tube.
  • blackic3blackic3 Member Posts: 3
    A strut bar isn't really going to affect your vibration that much, unless you have a lot more mods done. Try getting it re-aligned. The strut bar will help your turning handling though. It will have less sway when you take turns at a high speed. Other cheap mods would be an after market exhaust. Since you are budgeting, I would suggest just installing a better muffler. Most aftermarket mufflers will increase your horsepower by around 8-10%. If you do decide to go with a whole exhaust system, it would be wise to get a bigger intake manifold too.(That's to make sure you have just as much flow coming in as out.) Other cheap mods would be racing plugs and plug wires.(NGK plugs) That's really about all you can do for cheap. There's a lot more you can do, but it gets expensive.
  • bodymagic202bodymagic202 Member Posts: 1
    Look, I have a unique door modification. It is a hinge that allows the door to open out like a normal door or up like a lambo. It is totally bolt on and motorized. If you like send me an email @ bodymagic202@yahoo.
  • ddbeachddbeach Member Posts: 2
    Anybody out there ever did anything to ty to put a 3.8L into a Neon? I have a '97 Caravan with a 3.8, and a rebuilt tranny and I've been thinking it would be fun to stick that engine, and maybe tranny into a Neon. Any thoughts or advise on this?
  • neonmoderneonmoder Member Posts: 2
    I haven't tried it but I don't even know if it will fit in the engine bay. Even if the 3.8L did fit, I'm sure you would have to re-do the wiring too.
  • soon2bsrtsoon2bsrt Member Posts: 3
    Im new to this site so if any one has already anwsered the questions I apollogize.
    as far as the air cleaner goes removing the top does nothing but make it sound meaner and actually take power away.just buy a kit off ebay I only pain $20 for mine.
    I have a friend who looked into the motor swap to a V6 in his 03 neon it will fit (with extreme mod to the engine bay) but stock hp is only around 50 more than the 4 cyl but the engine weighs about 175 lbs more (roughly) so theres really not much gain to the idea(plus the extra weight make for a not so nice handleing issue)
  • smurphy1smurphy1 Member Posts: 2
    I just got some 17in rims for my 97 dodge neon highline and need to know what size tires would be best
    I would go with the same size the srt-4 uses 205 50r17 there a good width but enough side wall that ya don't get a rough ride out of them
  • jeffy1jeffy1 Member Posts: 2
    Internet auction are great for performance parts at reasonable prices and ur dollar will get u a lot further. Also u can find a performance coil and larger diameter wires to increase power. A coil over system is cheap on internet auction sites and will help handling, but remember u might have to get new shocks or struts(u should if u have the money). They have lots of cheapish priced body parts.
  • jeffy1jeffy1 Member Posts: 2
    What u think of a 5.9l 360 in a neon. A dakota rear end w/ posi and 5 speed tranny. Im talking lots of aftermarket stuff!!! Bigger intake valves(2.15 inch), 4.081 inch pistons, roller valvetrain(cam, lifters, rocker arms) , more aggressive cam, 3.58 inch crankshaft, ported and polished heads, headers, 3" dual exhaust(NO FART CANS!!). Now my ? is LA sb or magnum sb. LA parts are cheaper and easier to find but magnum motors are cheaper and easier to find. Wich one would be better? i want opinions and reasons please.
  • waterdrwaterdr Member Posts: 307
    Looks like this gain was proven by an old fashion, bench dyno - lol

There is no way in heck a chip and an exhaust will add 60% hp! Why do so many people make silly claims like this? I bet if that sucker were put on a dyno it might see something like 15 hp improvement at most.

False info like this needs to be challanged. Personally, no one should be allowed to post hp improvements w/o proof of a dyno.
  • jedixo04jedixo04 Member Posts: 1
    I just added a CAI and a lawson turbo muffler to my neon. I was wondering what i should do next to add horsepower. I read about an underdrive pulley would add anywhere from 5-10 hp depending on the product. I was wondering if the ones on ebay are worth taking a look at. Any suggestions?
  • danthony_20danthony_20 Member Posts: 2
  • danthony_20danthony_20 Member Posts: 2
    Okay I just got a 2 door 5 speed 97 neon. Its got the DOHC motor in it. I am redoing the car and i need some help. I want the car to REALLY stand out. So I want to modify it and Cusomise it in each and every way possible. I am thinking about shaving the door handles , 3rd brake light and key hole, and the gas tank door too. I saw this neon that had the gas door behind the passenger side tail light. I have no Idea at all on how to do this. Is there a kit or somthing? Please if you know how to do the Shaved door handles and stuff tell me how. AND if there is anyone out there who knows how to put the gas door behind the tail light...PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW!!!! And if you think of anything i can do to this car that would make it stand out from the crowed Please let me know, I am open to any and all ideas. If you know anything like how to make it faster or easy upgrades or tricks or interior parts or ideas LET ME KNOW....I REALLY wanna trick it out EVERY way possible.....Sorry so Long but thanks in advance to those who read this and help me out....My email is Danthony_20@yahoo.com if you wanna send me any pics or anything.....
  • jimmyrigggjimmyriggg Member Posts: 4
    Well you want an answer thats true, it does and it doesn't, for one it works better on a stick. though on an automatic you might think it works better but it really doesn't. The bad part is your going to do a number on the lifters. Specialy with a duel over head cam. It really matters what you want. high speeds, long eceliration, short quick burst of power. You really would have to explain how the car performs. to get a an accurate asumption. i don't know that car, completely.
  • BIGDADDYHORTONBIGDADDYHORTON Member Posts: 35
    MY ATTITUDE IS LIKE YOURS, NOW GO CHECK OUT MODERN PERFORMANCE.COM AND GET THE UNDER PULLEYS, YOU'LL BE AMASED AND HOW YOUR ENGINE RUNS SMOOTHER AND YOU HAVE MORE POWER WHEN YOU NEED IT WITH OUT THE DRAG ON YOUR BEARINGS. JUST BE AWARE IF YOU HAVE A BIG STEREO SYSTEM, THE ALTENATOR CHARGES WELL AND AC WORKS GREAT, BUT WITH A BIG SYTEM THE ALTENATOR FIGHTS TO KEEP THE AMP UP, LOOKING FOR A LARGER VOLTAGE ONE FOR MY 97 TO CORRECT MY PROBLEM, OTHER THAN THAT YOU WILL BE IMPRESSED, OWE AND MY MPG WENT UP 3 MILES PER GALLON TOO. I HAVE 243 HORSE RIGHT NOW WITHOUT THE BLOWER. NOT BAD SO FAR WITH NO MAJOR REBUILD, YET. LOL. :)
    BROTHER, CHECK OUT MY CREW AT MODERN PERFORMANCE.COM.
    I AM A DISABLED VET ON A REALLY TIGHT BUDGET AND SO FAR I HAVE LOVED MY EXPERIENCE WITH THESE GUYS. I'M A CUSTOMER NOT A REP SO I GET NO KICK BACK, I JUST LIKE MY NEON AND HELPING OUT IF I CAN, YOU WILL BE SURPRISED AT WHAT YOU CAN ADD TO IMPROVE POWER AND MPG AND OVER ALL PERFORMANC, JUST REMEMBER IT'S HARD TO DRIVE AND FIX UP A CAR, SO BUY PARTS ONE AT A TIME AND THEN WHEN YOU HAVE WHAT YOU WANT PUT THEM ON. HOPE THIS WILL HELP
    IT WILL HELP SOME, BUT REMEMBER IT IS WHAT CAR GUYS CALL DIRTY AIR, THE ONLY TRUE WAY IS TO PUT ON A COOL AIR SYSTEM THAT GOES INTO THE LOWER FENDER WELL TO GET WHAT WE CALL CLEAN AIR, IT ISN'T CHEAP, AND SOME GUYS DON'T LIKE IT BUT I DO.
    THE BEST WAY IS TO REPOSITION THE BATTERY BOX INTO THE TRUNK, LIKE I SAID NOT CHEAP BUT THE END RESOLT IS WHAT YOU SHOOTING FOR RIGHT. CHECK OUT MODERN PERFORMANCE . COM. THEY ARE OUT OF HOUSTON, TX. THIS IS WERE I AM FROM AND WHO I USE, I'M SURE THERE ARE OTHERS BUT I LIKE THEIR SERVICE, AND PRICES.
    HOPE THIS HELPS YOU OUT. :confuse:
    WILL IT WORK ON A 4 DR.
    WWW.MODERNPERFORMANCE.COM. THESE GUYS ARE OUT OF HOUSTON, TEXAS. I USE THEM FOR MY 97 SOHC, WAS 121 HORSE, NOW 243 HORSE AND ADDING, I THINK YOU WILL LIKE WHAT THEY HAVE AND THE PRICES. AND CHECK OUT IMPORT TUNER MAGAZINE, THERE ARE A LOT OF COMPANIES IN IT THAT HANDLE NEONS, MODERN IS ALL ABOUT THE LITTLE HOTROD. HOPE THIS HELPS YOU OUT. :shades:
    YES THEY ARE AN AWSOME IMPROVEMENT TO YOUR LITTLE ENGINE AND GIVE YOU BACK MORE STOCK POWER AND CAN GIVE YOU SOME BETTER MPG, I PUT THEM ON MINE AND WITH OTHER MODS GAVE MY 97 A NEW ADDITUDE, CHECK OUT MODERN PERFORMANCE.COM. THESE ARE THE GUYS I USE. DOWN SIDE, IF YOU HAVE A BIG STEREO SYSTEM THEY WONT TURN THE ALTENATOR ENOUGH, BUT I HAVE 2000 WATTS AND AM LOOKING AT FINDING EITHER A BIGGER PULLEY FOR THE ALT, OR A BIGGER AMP ONE, I HAVE ONE AMP DISCONNECTED RIGHT NOW, AND NO PROBLEM WITH THE CHARGEING SYSTEM. HOPE THIS HELPS SOME. :shades:
  • neonboyneonboy Member Posts: 3
    your going to have to relocate the motor mounts
    you will probally have to do some cutting and [non-permissible content removed] but it should work what all do you got done to your neon ?
    you might have to do some cutting but it should work what all you got done to your neon
  • Adam_CAdam_C Member Posts: 7
    if you go to a tire shop they should have a book to tell you what size tires you need. if you dont get the right size you will have to possibly have to recalibrate the speedo and deal with camber issues so best advice is to find exactly what size you need from someone.
    what is it. what does it do. where does it go. how much does it cost. and what should i watch out for?
    ok hears the deal i have a 97 neon (auto/dohc) 2 door. magnaflow muffler, cold air intake, msd ignition coil, 8.5 msd superconductors w/ ngk plugs. thinking of getting headers and cutting out the cat. what else short of turbocharging it and tearing into the block can i do to give it more kick? are there good injectors to look for, any chips i could get that i could get for less than 150$ and do i have to worry about o2 sensors giving me trouble when cutting out the cat?
    WHERE CAN I FIND A DAMN REPLACEMENT HEAD COVER WITH DOHC 2.0L 16V PRINTED ON IT !!!!!!!
  • okko1okko1 Member Posts: 327
    yes they should. original equipment only shows a 14in. size. p185/60 or 65 r14 also p175l70 or 65 r14. what size tires are you acually running? 23.4 for 185/65 and 22.9 for175/65 over all diamiter. on a 5.0 to 6.5 inch rim. :shades:
  • echianettaechianetta Member Posts: 1
    Hello. Im not really good with cars. But i want to modify my neon.. i want to make it go faster.. what are the important parts that i would need to purchase. i have a 2001 plymouth neon
  • neon_modneon_mod Member Posts: 2
  • neon_modneon_mod Member Posts: 2
    I have a 05' dodge neon four door that i'm modifyin slowly but surely and right now i'm gettin all my gauges in...i'm tryin to install a fuel/air ratio guage in but i can't find the right wire on my oxygen sensor yet i've tried all four of them and only the grounds pick up anythang and they only pick up the heater???????Please help!!!
  • lilimpatientlilimpatient Member Posts: 4
    i am about to do a tune-up on my 95 neon sohc. what mods and upgrades, tune-up related,can i do and should do? and will any of them affect anything else like for example if i put an ignition, coil,wires,and plugs do i have to upgrade fuel pressure and fuel system. Basically trying to get more HP one step at a time without costing too much at once.
  • xxx98neonxxx98neon Member Posts: 2
    Project neon is running outta money fast! I need more HP!
    has anyone tryed one of those cheap MAF chips off Ebay? Or that throttle body coolent bypass?
    I dont expect big gains but dose this really work?
  • xxx98neonxxx98neon Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem,thing is this car just dosnt have alot of potential.So i wouldnt spend to much.
    If its a M/T the throttle body is 49mm the A/T is 52mm so pulling one from the junk yard or boreing yours out is easy,you can use a dremil.I also did the intake manifold. That along with a cold air intake and it will be able to breath alot better.thats the cheapest HP youll find.And it wont affect anything else.
    You can put on a aftermarket coil and sparkplug wires ect.but thats not gonna add HP unless your cars having some spark problems?
    Next id cover exhuast.The whole exhuast system on that car is a joke.A Header is a great upgrade.after the Cat its a straight shot till the gas tank,where it makes a "S" bend.Im gonna use a glasspack and eliminate the "S" bend.Its not as loud as you would think.It sounds okay with no muffler at all,but needs some back pressure.Just sliping on a euro muffler after the "S" bend wont change much but the sound.Hope some of that helps?Goodluck
  • bobsanidiotbobsanidiot Member Posts: 4
    me and a few of my buddys were talkin about engine swaps and one of them suggested putting the Crossfire SRT6 engine in my 95 Neon. i can get the engine for around $200 from the pick a part my buddy works at but i'll have to get the supercharger from mopar. i'm just wondering will that engine even fit into the engine bay and on the transaxle?
  • smokey01smokey01 Member Posts: 1
    for starters id go with MP 7.5mm competition wires if ur lookin to save money or if u can spend a little more get Magnecor wires i think msd has the cheapest coil pack but good quality for the money a good upgrade thts not for a tune-up but would help and is cheaper get a mopar performance DOHC electronic control unit upgrade your spark plugs OEM Champions (RC9YC) for the money this would also be a very good add on look for the hks circle earth grounding system it put more grounding points in ur car help keep idle steady heres the web link ihttp://www.hksusa.com/products/?id=1506 thts about all i can think of right now
This discussion has been closed.