Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma 2004 and Earlier Frame Problem

Comments

• dennisnydennisny Member Posts: 12
    You need to call Toyota, have your VIN ready. They will check to see if you qualify for the rust program. 800-331-4331. Good luck.
  • capricorn_62capricorn_62 Member Posts: 15
    Than you :o)
  • terceltomterceltom Member Posts: 1,024
    No, you do not need to call Toyota. All you do is go to your nearest or most proficient Toyota dealer and they will bring your truck up there computer immediately by using your vin number. This will enable them to tell you on the spot if the rust inspection or rust proofing was completed by the previous owner. If not, they will schedule the inspection for you at that time. If it passes fine, if not they will schedule your truck for a reframe at no cost to you. This is good for any subsequent owners of the truck, you do not have to be the original owner for this service. There are no buy backs for the 2003 Tacoma's. My dealer reframed my 2004 Tacoma at a cost of $11,000.00 to Toyota no questions asked and they did a tremendous job. It was like getting a new half of a truck. Good Luck and keep us informed!
  • biggun1biggun1 Member Posts: 3
    If your Toyota dealer passes it. Take it back EVERY 12mo. . Mine passed 1 1/2 ago then failed completely last Fri.
  • biggun1biggun1 Member Posts: 3
    Good job Irv. Gotta love those dealers though...huh? You can save $300 if you go online & request quotes for the manifold. just Google...used auto parts & fill out the request. All you really need is the yr. & engine size. You'll receive quotes from all over. Some crazy high....some not. Some downright cheap. Honestly though, unless you notice a drop in power, or hear a ticking that's getting louder....,I wouldn't sweat it. My '97 had the same cracked mani. yours does since i bought it 3 yrs ago. You can see it. But it never got any worse & affected nothing. Mine just failed last fri. & they offered me the buyback for my Taco. Yes, I'm taking it. It passed last spring so in 16mo., mine fell apart. Let them treat it...,say "thank you"& be sure to have it inspected again in 366 days. You have 15 yrs from the manufacture date. Their "treatment" will not stop the deterioration of your frame IF.....it has already begun. It eats the frame from the inside out so most can't see it. I would never have known if i hadn't gotten out my little hammer & gone a "tappin'" on my frame. I encourage all 1995-1999 owners do the same ,AND TAKE IT BACK every 366 days till your 15yrs is up. CUDOS to Toyota for doing this though.....bc they did not have to. My daughters '97 Isuzu Rodeos' frame rusted & broke in half 2 yrs ago. She got zip.
    I encourage all 1995-1999 owners do the same ,AND TAKE IT BACK every 366 days till your 15yrs is up.

I'll go you one better, I suggest every Tacoma owner 2004 and earlier have the frame inspection performed every year until the warranty expires (15 years), until it fails.
  • irvin1965irvin1965 Member Posts: 10
    I was told by the Toyota dealership that when I accepted the rust corrosion treatment (undercoating) it ended my warranty even though my 15 year warranty should not expire until 9-10-12. I don't know if this is true or not but that is what they told me when I was there at the end of Aug. I doubt if they would have volunteered this information but I asked them about when my warranty would expire and this is what they told me. I think there is a lot going on with this program that people don't know about.
    Joyce
    edited September 2011
    "Should a customer's vehicle experience this condition, they will be requested to present it to any Toyota dealer for inspection. Upon confirmation of rust perforation, Toyota will, at its option, buy back or repair the vehicle. If it is determined that no rust perforation is present, the extended warranty will be in effect for 15 years from original sale."

Above is an excerpt directly from Toyota explaining the warranty, your dealer is wrong or just misleading you.

Don't know how you could say there is a lot "going on" about this program that people don't know about? All you have to do is search "tacoma rust" and there are hundreds of websites that explain the details of this problem and solutions very plainly. It almost sounds like your trying to blame Toyota for something when in reality they have gone above and beyond what they would have had to to remedy this situation for Tacoma owners. Sure they sold a defective truck, but they wouldn't have had to spend millions of dollars to make the customer whole buying back and reframing Tacomas at a very expensive cost to them. Would Ford or Chevy do this? I think not! Okay, some might say that Fords or Chevys don't rust, no but they don't last as long and are not as usually dependable as a Toyota either.
    Well I called toyota today and my 03 is covered under the frame rust problem. They advised me to call a dealer and have the frame checked. I called Kenny Ross of Moon Twp,Pa and have an appt. for wednesday. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all is ok and if not they put a new frame on. I would hate to get rid of this truck since I've only owned it for less than a week! I will keep posting my results. ;)
    edited September 2011
    Either way why would you get rid of it? If it passes you don't have a rust issue, if it fails, you get a new frame? Sounds like a win-win proposition to me. The best bit of advice I could give to you is make sure the dealer is well qualified to do a frame replacement if your truck should need it. All dealerships have sent two techs. to school to learn how to do this extensive frame replacement, but the job depends on the individuals who perform the 40 hour replacement job. Ask how many they have done. My experience was wonderful from my local dealer (Krause Toyota) in Allentown, PA. But I have also heard some horror stories from other dealereships where this replacement has gone horribly wrong for some Tacoma owners. I even heard of the cabs being put back on the frame 4" higher on one side than the other. Ask how many frame replacements they have performed before entrusting your truck to them.
    I agree it would be a win win for me. This is all new to me and I really appreciate all the great advise I've been given here. Thanks for that info on the frame replacement, I will definitley check out their experience. Well tomorrows the day....wish me luck :)
    Ok had the inspection done today on my 03 Taco, everything went well. Normal surface rust and is scheduled for rust proofing/undercoating on 9-29-11 and I get a rental. Thanks to all of you for the great advice...Love my Tacoma :shades:
    Toyota just bought my 1999 Tacoma for $16,200. Driving a 2011 4Runner now. End of story.
    Good for you, enjoy!
  • cbone14cbone14 Member Posts: 8
    Nice, I got 12k for my 99. This is my last post. I am tired of hearing people reply about thier paranoia that Toyota is up to something. Toyo makes a great product, but they used an inferior frame and are making it right. Where or who else would pay 12-16k for a 12y/o truck. Thanks Toyo i am enjoying my newer(but still old) 4runner on you dime after driving my 99 for 6 years.
  • rjc54rjc54 Member Posts: 2
    I just took my 2002 Tacaoma to the dealer for the rust inspection. The frame needs to be replacedl. The cost is covered by the recall BUT I'm responsible for any parts that break when they are removed. I call Toyota and they refuse to cover any broken parts. Seems a bit odd that I need to pay for anything related to the rusted frame
    That's total bulls***, I just had mine replaced two months ago and if they damaged an item they removed, then they replaced it, no charge. That being said, if they discover a worn out part or something they feel should be replaced while they are doing the job and it's not related to the frame rust then it's there obligation to ask you if you want this item replaced at your cost or reinstalled as it was before.
  • rjc54rjc54 Member Posts: 2
    I'm okay with paying for a part that needs to be replaced just not something that was damaged during the frame replacement. What dealership did you have the work done at ?
    Just picked up my tacoma from the dealer after having the under coating applied to the frame. Everything went good and it looks great. They told me that it would be covered until 12/2018 for any more rust. I was confused about the time length of coverage and the dealer explained that it starts from 15yrs. from the purchase new date. So I get 7yrs...better than nothing. Can anyone tell me what was the original length of time for the rust corrosion when tacomas were purchased new? I'm guessing 3yr/36,000
    Does anyone know where I can get the tailgate emblem (TOYOTA) for my 03 Tacoma? They are individual letters. I actually need the Y & O.
    Thanks
  • nomoretoyo1nomoretoyo1 Member Posts: 1
    How did you get them to look at the truck after the warranty enhancement period has ended? I took mine to the dealer and they wouldn't even look at it. When I called the corporate offices they just basically said tough luck!!
    edited October 2011
    I knew that I had bad rust on my 1999 Tacoma. I called Toyota and they started a case number for me, I told them what dealer I wanted to go to and Toyota made all the arangements for me to bring it in, as well as giving me a loaner for the three weeks it took to process my buy back check. Perhaps the extended rust program has ended.>>>. IT IS NOT A RECALL!!! Call Toyota again. Hope this helps. Good luck. (any good mechanic should be able to spot frame rust mine was big enough to put all of your fingers through)
    Warranty enhancement period couldn't possibly have ended when the trucks are guaranteed 15 years after first put into service. Therefore, yours is a 2002 guaranteed to 2017. Out of many, many post I have read on various threads and blogs you are the first one to ever get hassled by Toyota that I have heard of. Sorry !
    I just purchased my 03 from a private owner's wife who's husband passed away in Jan. of this year. I heard about the rust problems with the frame. So I called Toyota and they said," call a dealer to set up an appt. to have the frame checked". I set up an appt. with Kenny Ross of Pa. They checked the frame for free and the frame checked out for normal rust. So I had to make another appt. for the rust coating and 2 weeks later it's all under coated and I got a free rental for the day. I also have the remainder of the 15yr extended warranty which will take me to 12/2018. I'm still a little confused on that, I would think that the 15yr warranty wouldn't start until the under coating was applied. But it is what it is.....
    I also registered on this website as the new owner of this Tacoma https://auth2.toyota.com/owners
    So my advise to you is keep after Toyota and maybe check with another dealer. Good Luck
  • mkubicmkubic Member Posts: 1
    I know you said it was your last post. Was your truck listed as an $8,000 value on KKB? I have a 98 valued at 5,240.00 on KBB. Looking at a 2005+ Tacoma and want to see what others were getting for there truck, compared to KKB prices.

If you would not mind sharing your trucks stats and when you turned it in I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
  • tazzarotazzaro Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2011
    I bought my 2001 Taco 4x4 back in July 07. Took a 12 hour Jerry Springer bus trip to the closest Taco that was for sale, figured it was worth it having a Toyota. Truck was great, no major problems. I recently moved from MN to So Cali and looked under the truck and noticed the back of my frame had MAJOR rust issues where the leaf spring attaches to it. Big holes in the frame and areas missing that were about 1-1/2 feet long.

I took my truck to the dealer the next day, did not feel safe driving it. When their mechanic went to put it on the lift to inspect it he said he couldn't lift the truck without it breaking in half. He then showed me how the frame was already starting to buckle because the top of the bed was almost touching the cab. They took it off the road right there.

One month later, they finally figured out that they were going to replace the frame and gave me a loaner. Then today, 5 days later, I get a call from the dealer who said that Toyota has denied the repair of my truck. They said the offer expired. I mentioned that it was a 15 year warranty extension but the Service Manager said that because I did not bring the truck in to have it sprayed, and Toyota claims to have sent me 5 letters, that the warranty was not good anymore. I called the Toyota 1800 number he gave me and opened a claim.

From a post earlier in this thread, it appears that there was a Oct 31, 2010 deadline to have the 01-04s brought in to have inspected. I missed that date, obviously, but feel Toyota should still live up to their warranty since the rust on my truck had to have taken longer than 9 months.

So upset right now I can't see straight. :mad: What can I do or say to Toyota to get them to make this repair or offer a buyback?
    "From a post earlier in this thread, it appears that there was a Oct 31, 2010 deadline to have the 01-04s brought in to have inspected. I missed that date"

Not true, just had my 2004 Taco reframed in August 2011, dealer could not have been more accomodating and did a wonderful job at no cost ( $11,000 job) to me. It's like having a new truck. Truck has 160,000 miles on it and I was the second owner. The frame was never inspected or had any rust application whatsoever before I took it in. I had no paperwork or any notifications from Toyota, I just decided to take it in one day after reading about the frame problems.
    I purchased my 03 on 9-10-11 and had it undercoated on 9-29-11. They gave me no hassle at all. I did hear that the expiration date was determined on the state that you live in. I live in Pa where the salt is terrible on you're vehicle. I would call Toyota 1-800-331-4331 and ask them if this is true. Sorry
  • tazzarotazzaro Member Posts: 2
    I just talked to a customer service rep from Toyota who said that I had until March 31, 2011 to have the vehicle inspected to be eligible for the warranty. It didn't matter whether or not the frame rust was so bad that it had been ongoing long before that. She said Toyota is very firm about the date, even refusing to honor the warranty if the date is missed by one day.

I don't know what my options are at this point other than have my insurance company total it out.
    150% of whatever the KBB says, in excellent condition. I used the KBB app on my iPhone, added in all the extras (like SR5 & power windows), and it was right on %150. I had a 1999 Tacoma, xta cab V6 4X4 Power Cruise Alloy wheels. 54k miles in perfect condition, but the condition is not important. Good Luck. D.
  • missmechanicmissmechanic Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone tell me if they know what the inspection process is for the corrosion on the truck frame. I took my 1998 Toyota truck in for inspection yesterday and the mechanic at dealership did a visual inspection and passed it. They wanted to coat the frame and give me a rental car and I said no I needed to do more research first. I am a level II NDT in the aerospace world and I know a little about corrosion on metal. I went home and called another dealer in the area and the parts manager told me the inspection process should be done with a hammer if there is no visual holes present. The mechanic at the dealership I took my truck to only inspected it visually and said it passed due to there were not any holes in the frame. The entire frame is corroded. I cant believe Toytota is passing these frames that look like this. We have owned every Toyota made and my husband and I purchased this truck new. I want to hear from you and tell me about your experiences.
  • tcincytcincy Member Posts: 28
    I had my '99 Tacoma and my brother had his '98 Tacoma both inspected.
    The Service Mgr. of Kerry Toyota, Covington, Ky., stated one of two things must be present to be eligible for buyback:

1. Any hole - even a pin - sized hole, anywhere through the frame;
    2. A substantial amount of "surface" rust on the frame.

They said all Tacomas would be given a 15-yr. retroactive warranty on frame, meaning, a '98 would be extended to 2013. So according to that, you have another 2 years to let the frame experience more rust.

I don't know about the coating on top of rust already there. I would take it to another dealer and not say anything about having been to the first one.

Hope this helps.
    I have to agree with the other post with only one exception, every time you take the truck to a dealer to have any kind of work/inspection it shows up at Toyota with that vin#. You can check this out by going to this site https://auth2.toyota.com/owners and register as the owner with that vin#. I registered on that site after I bought mine and could see everything that was done to my truck from the previous owner. When I took my 03 in for the rust inspection, they checked it out and did the rust/corrosion treatment and now I have it covered for anymore corrosion until 2018. I just purchased this vehicle a month ago from a private out of state owner. I would also have you're husband crawl under the truck and start tapping lightly with a hammer and check it out for him self. Also check this website http://tacoma-upgrade.com Good Luck
    Sounds like a know brainer, let Toyota put the new frame on, It's like having a new truck at no cost to you.
    This totally weird, I have never heard of any arbitrary date set for reparing this rust problem. In fact your the only one that I heard of that had any problems with Toyota at all either buying back or reframiong their Tacomas. Call them back and tell them that your going to sue their A**es off if your when your out on the road and your wheels fall off.
    OMG! Don't worry about the process, tell them to buy it back for 150% of KBB excellent value like they are every other 1999 and earlier Tacoma.
  • 95tacoma95tacoma Member Posts: 2
    I own a 95 tacoma. Am I still eligible for the recall? Where can I find out other information on recalls for the 95 tacoma. I am the 3rd owner. Does that matter at all?
  • missmechanicmissmechanic Member Posts: 2
    Hello, Check with your local Toyota Dealership you may still be covered.
    Not a recall. As far as I know they're still buying them back at 150% of KBB"Excellent value". Doesn't matter if your the third, fourth or fifth owner!
  • 95tacoma95tacoma Member Posts: 2
    Toyota informed me I dont qualify any longer. The 95 tacoma is past the 15 years and they are strict on that dead line. It was worth a try I guess.
    Sorry you missed out, apparently Toyota is now enforcing a deadline for claims that I didn't know about.
  • grizzlyteasergrizzlyteaser Member Posts: 2
    I just bought my neighbor's 02 Taco. He was the original owner and kept it garaged when not on the road. It's in really good condition considering it has 163,000 miles on it. But I discovered an unusual amount of rust on the aft frame while I was installing trailer lights. My local dealer says the 2002 is not within the frame campaign. He said I could bring it in to be inspected (and I would be charged for the inspection). But there is not much they can do to address the rust since (according to him) the campaign only applies to 95-2000 trucks.

Can someone refer me to some documentation that shows the 02 is included in the campaign? I note that there are many people on this forum with 01s,02s,03s that got their trucks covered under this campaign. How did you make that happen?
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    The 1995-2000 Tacomas were covered by a campaign that offered buyback if the frame met specified rust conditions. The 2001-2004 Tacomas were covered under a separate campaign that offered frame replacement (since they were still available from the supplier for those years) , although that was reportedly limited to certain states.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host
    Check this website http://tacoma-upgrade.com/2009/06/info-on-the-19955-through-2004-toyota-tacoma-f- rame-recall-for-rust.html Also register on this website as the new owner https://auth2.toyota.com/owners and call Toyota yourself @1-800-331-4331 That's what I did when I purchased my 03 Tacoma from an out of state private owner on September 10,2011 and by the end of September the vehicle was under coated. I did hear that some states have deadlines if you don't have the bad winters like here in Pa. The other day I was told someone took a 1999 in and Toyota bought it back. I would keep up on this until you get results. Good Luck
    He is SSSSOOOO wrong, or lying! Just had my 2004 Taco frame replaced this past summer. Great job, wonderful experiemce with my Toyota dealer, like a new truck. This is a 11,000.00 job at no cost to me and I was the third owner of the truck.
  • grizzlyteasergrizzlyteaser Member Posts: 2
    Well, Im in Alaska so you could say our winters are worse. But I'll take an AK winter over a PA any time. Interestingly, people assume that snowy states use salt on the roads. But I dont think they use it up here. Sand and gravel work much better when the climate gets cold and stays cold.

I registered as the new owner on the site you sent. And read the other info in the link. However, it only gives info showing the 95-00 applicability. I am looking specifically for some document from Toyota that acknowledges the issue for later model trucks (2002 in my case).

I spent the evening tinkering on the truck and took a look at the frame. The heaviest rust is on the aft half. I dont see any perforations and my son was asleep in the house so I spared him the "hammer test" noise. I also found no massive chunks flaking off, just little crumbs. I also noted quite a bit of rust on the springs, spare wheel, etc. And a nut or bold head for the trailer hitch is rusted beyond recognition. To sum up, what I am seeing is an unusual amount of surface rust for a vehicle of its age.

At this point, (assuming I got my dealer to take it on) they would probably just undercoat and kick it out the door. My concern is that; the rust will continue at an accelerated rate, even under the fresh coating. I see the undercoating fix as bandaid on an infected stab wound.

I bought the truck specifically to do a lot of towing and hauling. Was planning to invest in airbag spring helpers. Now Im concerned that the corrosion will eventually make it unsafe to tow my 3000 lb camper or haul my ATV. In other words, I will be asking 100% from this truck and I need it structurally and mechanically at 100%.
  • ejsegravejsegrav Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2001 Pre-Runner that had the frame replaced a year ago due to severe rust and it worked out great. Now however I have another rust related issue.

My windshield was cracked and I had it replaced. While it was out the tech pointed out a lot of rust on the pillars under where the windshield sits. He said that likely caused the crack in the windshield. This is something you would not notice until the windshiled was out.

Anyone else have this issue? Is this normal with an 11 year old (I got it in december of 2000)

Thanks
  • kgh1112kgh1112 Member Posts: 1
    Reading the 2nd Blog of the http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=6138.msg610- - 77;topicseen website, it states that the the 2001-2004 will have until October 2010 to have the warranty valid. I'm currently looking into purchasing a 2002 Taco which hasn't had the frame repaired/replaced/recoated, it does have some rust and the Dealer claims to have the paper work for the warranty to turn over to the new owner.
    So - basically - will Toyota take care of me too??? And fix my slightly rusted frame? Is under coating recommended??? :confuse:
    Thanks!