Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma 2004 and Earlier Frame Problem

1212223242527»

Comments

• lick45lick45 Member Posts: 3
    by having your frame coated Toyota extended your waranty, you need to get in writing from the 2 dealers that the frame rust thru is not a problem(it is), call Toyota customer service and get a case number(phone number is in your manual), file an online complaint with your states attorney general---good luck, dealers and Toyota are bleeding red ink so they will do anything to tap dance you aroung till they have no responsability, take it back for regular inspections and keep records, stay on top of this or you will have an unsafe and worthless truck
  • shauna2ushauna2u Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2013
    I purchased the best truck I could ever wish for, 2001 Toyota Tacoma; it’s an xtra cab with TRD with the SR5. Today at 113500 miles it still looks and runs showroom new. But it has the rust on the frame and bad too. Toyota refuses to help in any way. In 2012 the frame was perfect, now it is almost eaten through. I love this truck but it is unsafe to drive and I am very displeased with how they are handling the situation. I opt to go with Toyota compared to Chevrolet because Toyota had a wonderful reputation on reliable vehicles and I was sold on that. When the recall was sent out, I was living in Virginia and battling cancer so I missed the recall. I believe Toyota should warrant their product or close down their plants if they won’t honor the issues at hand. I want a new frame or at least another truck with my engine and transmission, my baby is gorgeous. I am now on a fixed income with blood clots in my lungs due to the cancer, I need my truck.

link title
  • terceltomterceltom Member Posts: 1,024
    Won't they even cut you a break if you pay for the reframe on your own? I had my 2004 Tacoma reframed and paid for entirely by Toyota back in 2011 and it was like a totally new truck afterward. A reframe usually cost around 8K to 10K but you think they would at least cut you a big break, like 50%.
  • bsims13bsims13 Member Posts: 2
    While I have had ZERO luck dealing with Toyota, I have decided to take matters into my own hands. My frame coating has completely disentegrated and the frame started to rust. Upon looking into the matter, I have decided to spend a couple hundred bucks on frame inhibitive paint, and have even found a spray can product with a hose intended for the internal box frame. Eastwood internal frame coating or something similar is the product, and I figure 3-4 cans should do the inside while i spray the outside with another product through my spray gun. Its a shot right? Hopefully will extend the life of the frame until I pay it off!
  • ldent1ldent1 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 1997 and it had a 15 year warranty with recall. Your truck is not 15 years old.
  • jmc101jmc101 Member Posts: 1
    You all need to go to another stealership. My local checks the frame every time I have gone in for service. They told me that Toyota has been giving some big payouts if they think there is an issue. In the neighborhood on $20k for my 2004 double cab. The sales guy is also looking at this as a good opportunity to take that money and put it right back into another truck!
    What your sales guy is telling you is outdated information but was true a couple of years ago. I'm almost certain all buyback and frame replacement settlements have since expired with Toyota.
  • dyankedyanke Member Posts: 9
    The info is wrong. They never offered a buyback for post 2001 Tacomas, although I do believe there were some early 2001s that were included.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Please take a few minutes to answer our survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/EdmundsForums

It's really important for us to hear from our members and visitors to get direction going forward. Only good things are planned for the future, but we need to gather insights to get there! Whether it's your first time or you're a regular, we'd love to hear from you.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• kayaker300kayaker300 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2013
    The recall extends the frame warranty for 15 years from date of purchase for the vehicles involved. I believe for 2001-2004 they are replacing frames and not offering money or high trade in values as with earlier vehicles. I have a 2001 Tacoma and was told today after showing them a rusted hole in the frame that they will replace the frame at no cost. Was told it would take 7-10 days. I live in central PA. Since my dealer did the recall undercoating...I have a record of what was done. As stated by others, continue to talk to Toyota reps or even go to another dealer for assistance. Maybe the undercoating is part of the 15 year extended warranty...that may be the fine print. I did get a recall notice about the rust from my dealer....so I assume others did too. I found a printout on another site of the cost involved in replacing the frame....$6200 part and $3000 labor for a total of $9200. Seems cheaper to buy the truck back to me. In the replacement of the frame...they also replace Brake lines, emergency brake cable, fluids, lower suspension arms, rear leaf springs as well as all the bolts and nuts and washers. My truck is 12 years old before it rusted thru. How many other automakers would offer to repair for free if you followed the recall guidelines. If you have not had your truck undercoated during the recall...best to trade it in soon before it rusts through for those years affected by the recall. I am very happy with my experience with my local dealer and I prefer the style of my generation of tacoma's so now I get to enjoy if hopefully for many more years. Good luck to you folks that have not had such a good experience with your rusted frames.
    Had my 2004 reframed about two years ago. It was like getting a whole new truck. It drove so well and as straight as an arrow. You'll love it, good luck.
  • vermontmontyvermontmonty Member Posts: 6
    Hi shauna, It appears that the replacement is 15 years from DATE of Purchase. I assisted my niece, age 17 in purchasing her first vehicle. The seller, had taken off the plates, and it was probably not insured. They would not allow us to drive it to a mechanic to put on a lift and have it checked. After short test drives on the gravel road, and doing what we could to check, she purchased the truck. When we got back to VT, it went in for its' Vermont State inspection, and failed. Yup, spots in the frame on both sides that they said had to be fixed. First Toyota dealer, that we gave the VIN # to, said no way. She called another. Today she heard back that this 2004 Toyota Tacoma, Ext Cab, 4X4, will be fitted FREE with a replacement frame, the rough estimate from that dealer was a value of $12K, for the work they will take care of. He said he was sorry he could not get authorization for a rental, while the truck is being fixed. I hope if you have an advocate you will not give up, if there is any chance that you are eligible for some help too.
    Thanks good to hear that, actualy this little truck is already, wonderful, drives very well, this extra help, will make the purchase a good deal better than we could have ever hoped for.......there will be plenty of expense without the cost of a bad frame being born by this young driver....it needs tires, and the e brake cable must work for inspection,and all stick! Wishing we would hear back from the original poster with some sort of good news......Just sayin'
  • framerot2framerot2 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2013
    The exact same thing happened to me just yesterday. I have a 2004 Tacoma. The body itself is beautiful...not a speck of rust. It runs well, and until yesterday, I thought that it was the best truck I had ever owned. I went to my mechanic for an inspection, and he said it wouldn't pass because holes were everywhere along the frame. I took it to Toyota. They took pictures and documented the fact that my car was unsafe to drive. They said it wasn't their problem, and that I had been given four years to fix it. When I looked up my VIN number online, it mentioned only the recall for the spare tire (which I had already taken off three years ago). I called Toyota Central, and they said it wasn't their problem. Apparently, I had received a first class letter between November of 2010 and December of 2011 which stated that I needed to have my frame sprayed. They said that the cutoff for this "remedy" was December, 2012. When I asked if, had I had the frame sprayed six months ago, would this rot have miraculously not appeared, they said they didn't know. They apologized for the fact that it was not their problem, and that was that.

I may have received a letter...I am not sure, and cannot honestly claim I didn't receive it. What I do know that I do, though, is regularly check on line for recalls so that I can make sure that I am not missing anything. The dealer told me that this particular recall was voluntary, and therefore it wouldn't have been posted in normal channels.

To make matters worse, the dealer specifically said that someone had come in the previous week with the same issue and it was "too bad". He also said that Toyota would probably be doing something about this because so many people were having such major safety issues. He said that if I wanted to hold on to the truck...maybe something would happen in a year. What am I going to do with a truck I can't drive because it won't pass inspection and has been deemed unsafe?

I will be filing a complaint with the National Highway Association as well.
  • sweetd8943sweetd8943 Member Posts: 7
    Keep pressing them. They have admitted there is a problem. They have "remedied" many many other trucks. Since you have a 2004, you are well within the ten year time-frame from date of original sale of the truck. You may consider legal representation, which stinks, but could be worth it. Good luck and let us know how it works out.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Keep in mind, this is not a recall. It's a self-administered "Customer Satisfaction" program and they can set the rules any way they want. A recall does not and can not expire.

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host
  • jaybird001jaybird001 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Tundra that I have maintained. I only have 75200 miles on it and have the same problem. It has been a great truck runs and rides like it did when I drove it off the lot. There never was a recall on this truck but the frame rusted to the point that the stabilizer bar attachment point has broken free. I took it to the dealer and they told me it was not part of the recall but it is unsafe to drive. Sorry. So much for the apology that the CEO of Toyota gave to congress concerning the recall problems with the frames. Other 2004 Tundras were recalled why was this one left out? I am a disabled Vet with multiple health issues plus I was directly effected by Hurricane Irene and the recession. This was all I needed to make my disaster trifecta complete. All I can do is contact anybody I can think of in state and federal government and hound Toyota at every opportunity. For what it is worth you can ask the dealer to have a Toyota Company Service Representative come to the dealership and look at your vehicle. I am also going to do my best to generate as much negative publicity for Toyota as I can. My son,his wife, my wife and two brothers in law all own Toyotas, this does sour us towards this brand of car.
    Shauna, I recommend that you don't stop with one dealer. I recommend you attempt to resolve this with another dealer. If that is unsuccessful, don't give up there, ask for the dealer to arrange for you to meet with the rep who visits periodically. Call our dealer in Rutland, Vermont, give him you vin #, and situation. My niece as a second owner, just purchased a Toy, with 200k 2004, it was rotted, when she took it in for a Vermont inspection. She made two calls on dealers (she is 17) before they said, if she was owner #1, or #2, they could get her a complete frame replacement, valued at 12K. They said, had they put the paperwork in right, she could have had a free rental provided as well....The parts will take 4 - 6 weeks. and good luck, I would love to hear how this works out for you....don't give up, without further demands...good luck, Anne
    there is hope and don't give up, until the last man falls, I recommend that you don't stop with one dealer. I recommend you attempt to resolve this with another dealer. If that is unsuccessful, don't give up there, ask for the dealer to arrange for you to meet with the rep who visits periodically. Call our dealer in Rutland, Vermont, give him you vin #, and situation. My niece as a second owner, just purchased a Toy, with 200k 2004, it was rotted, when she took it in for a Vermont inspection. She made two calls on dealers (she is 17) before they said, if she was owner #1, or #2, they could get her a complete frame replacement, valued at 12K. They said, had they put the paperwork in right, she could have had a free rental provided as well....The parts will take 4 - 6 weeks. and good luck, I would love to hear how this works out for you....don't give up, without further demands...good luck, Anne
    You say other 2004 Tundras were fixed or made whole, did you ask why yours was not?
  • karst1karst1 Member Posts: 1
    I found this message board because I'd like to get another Toyota truck, but am apprehensive due to the well documented frame issues. I've owned 4 trucks from '87 to '94 and one parts truck. I'm seriously considering switching brands because I don't want to be stuck with a problem. Reading all of these posts really has me leaning towards getting something else, at least until Toyota decides to issue a formal recall. I wish you all good luck with getting some recompense.
  • popsavalonpopsavalon Member Posts: 231
    I think the "frame rot" problem seems to be only vehicles that have been driven in areas of chemically treated winter roads (the Rust Belts). I have never seen a complaint from vehicles driven exclusively in the southern and western states. I live in MS and had never heard of rusty frames prior to this forum. There are a lot of really old Toyota pickups still running around down here.
  • qwkrngrqwkrngr Member Posts: 2
    I just got a check for mine on Friday 13 of Sep 2013. Mine had a few small holes rusted through the bottom of the frame and mechanically was perfect and the body didn't have any rust. I asked if they would just replace the frame and no was the answer since mine was a 2000 model.
  • casndoobcasndoob Member Posts: 1
    Hey gwkrngr, I was wondering if you had to do anything special to receive the check, or if you simply called the dealership about it? I also have a 2000 tacoma, but the rust problem is pretty severe. Thanks!
  • qwkrngrqwkrngr Member Posts: 2
    I called the dealership and asked about it initially they said it was outside of the warranty. I told them I had heard it was 15 years from in service date. The service manager talked to me and asked me to bring it in and they inspected it and failed it. Within two weeks Toyota was in touch with me and sent me paperwork. All they needed was a current registration and copy of my title. They offered a loaner vehicle until all the paperwork went through but I just took my truck home since I still had a bunch of personal stuff in it. The Toyota rep met me at the dealership and I got the check directly from him and left the truck there.
    I will definitely be purchasing another Toyota in the future!!!
  • sweetd8943sweetd8943 Member Posts: 7
    Same exact process I went fhrough. Warranty should be from 15 years from initial vehicle purchase date when new. Toyota can obviously look that up. Keep escalating until you get it resolved. I also had the 2000 Tacoma and they gave me almost $15k for it. Good luck.
  • ekg35ekg35 Member Posts: 1
    hey everyone, my father just purchased a 2002 tacoma without carefully inspecting the truck. He bought the truck at night and couldn't see clearly. The truck's previous owner told him that the recall and undercoating had all been taken care of and my father believed him. Once he got the truck home I inspected it in the daylight and found sections of the truck completely rusted through. I called our local toyota dealerships and they verified that none the recalls had been done by previous owner and that the expiration had past and there is nothing they can do. I saw your post VERMONTMONTY and was wondering if you can provide more details on the process your niece when through with your dealership. I would greatly appreciate any assistance as I am getting no where with anybody. If you can provide a name of the service manager or anyone that assisted at the dealership it would be great thanks.
    My niece got her help through the Toyota dealer in Rutland, Vermont, they did over 12K, worth of work for free! She is so blessed to have had this help, with her very first vehicle purchase. I hope that you are able to get some assistance by looking up this dealer, and calling the service manager there. The name of the family who had this done just last month is Lambert. If you need to contact me for more information you may use my email address: vermontmonty @ yahoo
    .com Anne
    Find your closest dealer at this website: http://www.toyota.com/owners/web/pages/parts-service
    The helpful dealer in Vermont is called, Alderman Toyota, the telephone number is (802) 776-6000, the service managers' name.is Don (I think)....and they were very helpful to us. Part of this might have been that my niece was only the second owner.........she had the truck just 3 days when the problem was discovered during state inspection. She got a no, at the first try, you may need to ask for area representative where you live, they usually show up at the dealership on certain dates, ask to be there and see that person, if need be. Good luck, Anne
  • pufferfishpufferfish Member Posts: 1
    Hey gwkmgr,

what state are you in that this process went so smoothly for you? I have a 2002 Tacoma that i bought in New York but i live in Maryland.
  • drfunkerdrfunker Member Posts: 1

Anyone have an idea if the trade in value increases after the replacement of a frame? Does anyone have any experience with this?

• rcummelinrcummelin Member Posts: 184

I hope a forum moderator reads this. This thread is posted on the 4Runner forum, but has NOTHING to do with the 4Runner. 4Runners are built in Japan--not Texas or Mexico--and do NOT share the same frame or frame supplier with the Tacoma. There is no evidence that the 4Runner has a rusty frame problem--that is unique to the Tacoma AFAIK. Please remove this thread from the 4Runner forum. Thanks!

• KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516

@rcummelin said:
    I hope a forum moderator reads this. This thread is posted on the 4Runner forum, but has NOTHING to do with the 4Runner. 4Runners are built in Japan--not Texas or Mexico--and do NOT share the same frame or frame supplier with the Tacoma. There is no evidence that the 4Runner has a rusty frame problem--that is unique to the Tacoma AFAIK. Please remove this thread from the 4Runner forum. Thanks!

Certainly used to say Tacoma! That has been repaired - thanks for the heads-up.

• matthewotamatthewota Member Posts: 7
    I use my '97 Taco in the Los Angeles, CA basin. No problems with rust living here.
  • greg128greg128 Member Posts: 529
    I'm glad that Toyota trucks don't have a frame rust problem.
    q96p.jpg 113.2K
  • matthewotamatthewota Member Posts: 7
    After driving for 13 years and over 250,000 miles, my '97 Taco is history. An idiot medical transport driver T-boned me on June 28, 2017 and totally wrecked the truck and my life too. Hit on the right side, the frame crumpled and the window shattered. I was ambulanced to the hospital and released the next day. I am still hurting. The idiot that hit me, well it is likely he will lose his job as he ran a red light and was talking on his cell phone.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,084
    Sorry to hear that. Hope your recovery goes well.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator