Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma 2004 and Earlier Frame Problem

Comments

• kentuckytookentuckytoo Member Posts: 4
    they must of taken mileage into consideration.our tacoma is identical to yours with 101 thousand miles and was offered 15,400. Still waiting for the paper they say they overnighted 4 days ago. SO SO agravated with toyota.
  • 13gunbunny13gunbunny Member Posts: 4
    Glad to hear you made out allright.... My 01 only has 81K on it and it KBBs for 14K..My zip is 03301 though...Maybe that is a factor.

I owe 15K on it so I would be happy if they came in at 17K but I am not holding my breath..
  • cgranbergcgranberg Member Posts: 23
    they do take miles into consideration. our 01 had 170k. they don't take condition, so everone is excellent. they don't really give you much info on how they calc anything. i had someone in this blog earlier email me the dealer docs but i think their press release says at least that much.

i am surprised you actually got a letter. we just got a call and i specifically asked if we would get anything in writing or any docs ahead of time and she said no. we would just get the check when we sign over the title in a couple weeks at an appointment with the regional person. someone will be contacting you! ha ha

well we look at it as we get half what we paid for half the life.....................
  • tylorkittytylorkitty Member Posts: 18
    Hello, Well since I am not able to use any of their incentives, and have been a Toyota owner all of my adult life I am asking for more $$ on the offer/buy-back. I am in no financial situation to finance another vehicle, and I blame TOYOTA for placing me in a situation where I must forfeit my reliable transportaion for another lesser valued vehicle. I should NOT be penalized for mileage on a truck that was delivering what was expected TO BE DRIVEN! :P
  • lostmytacolostmytaco Member Posts: 4
    has anyone refuse the offer for their tacoma , what will they do if you refuse
    NOTHING, the Toyota Customer care agents once they know you have an offer letter they TURN on you, offer NO HELP< NO SUGGESTIONS, all they can say is " is there any questions I can answer for you?' They get cocky and leave you stranded. The ISG offer is NOT negotiable, and if you refuse then you keep your truck and sign a waiver releiving Toyota from anything. IF you think you want to go the negotiate route......... get a lawyer...........

far as I' ;) m concered F- Toyota!
    am i the only one who figured that they were using the trade in value? i just read something that said they are suppose to use the retail sales value. that clears up alot. and makes me realize that they yes once again are screwing us 01 owners. i got offered 1500 over the kbb retail! my bad. damn.
  • snaptabsnaptab Member Posts: 21
    Thought I'd weigh in now on the "buy back fiasco" since we just finished ours up yesterday. Local dealer has had our 97 Tacoma 4X4, extra cab since 6/4/08 when it failed the frame inspection. We accepted the 09 Corolla loaner they offered.

ISG's first offer letter on 6/13/08 was $1200 light. After several calls/discussions with different "customer service advisors" we received the second (correct) offer letter on 6/20/08. We accepted their offer at full 1.5 Kelly bluebook retail value.

We dropped off the loaner car and picked up the check on 7/3/08 at the local Toyota dealer, took about 15 minutes to sign over the title and other paperwork. Overall pretty painless experience......however we won't be buying a new Toyota!
  • wendwend Member Posts: 3
    Okay everyone. Here's my story. I brought my 98 Tacoma in ,it failed the inspection, I took it home. I was told by the dealer that Toyota would compensate me for the $3,000 in aftermarket parts I added to my truck in the past 3 years under a "good will" deal. I waited....In 2 weeks I was given an offer which did not include aftermarket anything...6 weeks later I was told( by Toyota) to fax Toyota all of my receipts and proof of payment. Can you believe I got it all together in about 1 1/2 weeks and faxed it???!!! Anyway, 2 more weeks go by and I get the final phone call from Toyota. "Sorry miss, but we don't offer anything for aftermarket parts." So, yes, I waited 12 weeks and I got slapped in the face!!! NEVER AGAIN will I purchase a Toyota!!! I actually had a newer model picked out on the lot too.
  • sparklandsparkland Member Posts: 120
    As an owner of five Toyota's, although none of them are of the Tacoma variety--camry, 4-runner, T-100; I am amazed at how disgusted most of the people on this board seem to be.

A vehicle with over 150,000 has given excellent service and it is a miracle that Toyota is giving over $14,000 for those vehicles. I understand the engines will last much longer, it is the body that usually deteriorates long before the engine.

Sure Toyota made a mistake and they are attempting to correct it.
    Just try to trade in any truck in this atmosphere of high gasoline prices and you guys will find out you are making out like bandits.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    I don't think anyone is faulting Toyota for admitting these trucks may be unsafe because of the deteriorating frames. But part of the concern many people are having with this inspection/buyback program is the fact that their trucks are paid off for the most part. The buyback money isn't putting them in a new truck free and clear, which means an auto loan they weren't planning on, along with the increased insurance of a newer vehicle (and if they had dropped collision coverage due to age, they would have to reinstate it for the new ride). When you keep a vehicle that's 7+ years old and has 6-figure mileage, it's cheap to own at this point and these owners understandably didn't want to increase their expenses.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • 2001taco2001taco Member Posts: 14
    I need to know who everyone who has a 2001 went through for there buy back...Did Toyota contact you?? ISG?? I can not find out who is handling my case?? It has been months and no word ..
    are you joking? the bodies arent' rotting. the frames are. i don't see other vehicles with "exposure to high salt areas" having this problem. they messed up royally is what they did and they should have to pay. sh_t! don't you think they have insurance for this type of thing.
    we were contacted by a person saying they were from toyota. the contact number we were given is 8003314331. if it was isg then we were never informed that.
  • cal4cal4 Member Posts: 14
    Owners of hard used trucks that have been used in construction and oil fields are likely happy with the buy back. I bought my truck new, took great care of it, with the intention of running it 20 years and 300K miles. People like me are not making out on this deal.

I am getting angrier by the day at the way Toyota is calling all the shots and making $lemonade$ out of other peoples misfortune of buying their defective product. My experience with this situation so far is one of the Toyota people bullying me around. What can I do? I have to sell back to them for whatever they offer since these trucks are branded and worthless after this fiasco is over. We are getting lower value price due to the book value they choose, how they use it and what they allow in or out. It&#146;s a bad time to buy a truck due to the old gas guzzling designs and the dealer&#146;s lack of incentive to deal like when I bought my truck in 1997. Sales taxes, higher insurance (with starting over with a new vehicle) are a couple of issues that are no gift from Toyota. Toyota is going to get at least $500 for scrap value for these trucks, then keep their factories running to replace the scrapped trucks with more gas unfriendly trucks that they lure you into with $1000 off MSRP. Bottom line… Toyota wins I/we lose..

This has not all played out with me and my truck, but I certainly did not need this crappy situation Toyota has put me into right now.
    That contact number is just the main Toyota company, They are not giving us any information from there, Just keep saying that someone will call....WHEN??? It has been 2 months...This is so fustrating...It is like we are punished for buying a newer truck.
    My dealer hid the 2009 Tacoma brochures in the back room then lied to me saying Toyota did not make such and such a combination of tran/engine/body type. they do . He just wonted to sell what he wonted to sell me, to hell with what the customer wants.
    Have you noticed, the milage on each of the 2009 Tacomas went down 2-3 miles per gallon from 2008?
  • divwiddivwid Member Posts: 10
    HELP!! Have 2000 Tacoma--96,000 kms. Purchased in S. Ontario in 2003. Paid in full at purchase time. Received letter about undercoating defect. Holding off on dealership inspection as I am indecisive about how to handle this situation. New experience. Should local mechanic check it out first?? Called dealership. Said 10 Tacomas came in. Four pulled off road. Not prepared to possibly have to change vehicles at this time. LOVE our truck and very much needed. I am a young widow feeling proud to have purchased this beautiful set of wheels alone, but now intimidated by the "deals" Toyota is offering. Please advise on what I should do!!
    Your options are limited. Once you have been told your truck is unsafe if you continue to drive it, get in an accident because of the defect, your insurance company will not cover you since you were told it was unsafe. You have no real choice but take it in and go from there. I wouldn't wast the time and $ on your local shop looking at it since that shop did not manufacture the truck and will not fix or replace it. If only 4 out of 10 trucks got pulled by your dealer that is a mirical. My local dealer tagged every one I know of and quickly hid them, a couple of miles away, to avoid bad publicity and people asking questions when they went to the dealership to look at toyota products. I hae delt with nothing but Toyota schisters through out this mess.
    Verefi on the Kelly Blue Book, on line, what your truck is worth, make sure Toyota gives you 1.5 times that number and go buy a non Toyota product.
    The MPG went down 2-3 MPG and the price of Tacoma trucks when up 5.1% for 2009. But toyota is giving you a 1K coupon for a new one. Who is this favoring!?
  • lostmytacolostmytaco Member Posts: 4
    what are they really doing with all the trucks, i seen car car carrier loaded with old tacoma going north on 75 in ky into ohio
  • tmiller159tmiller159 Member Posts: 25
    They are taking them to a salvage yard and crushing them. Not one part is being saved. Even the dealers are unable to obtain good used parts from them. Very sad. Reminds me of the EV1 electric cars that GM crushed because they were "too good" and had to go. A little worse though because there was nothing wrong with them.
    Dear cal4---Thanks for your input. Feel a little better now. Guess I will need to just "bite the bullet", take it into the local dealership here in S. Ontario and face what comes. Checked into Canadian Black Book for truck's value. Do feel better having done some homework and like this site too. Love my truck! But what will be will be! Females alone have to get some you know whats when dealing with the city dealerships. I am a small town girl---farm-raised, but this is hard on the nerves!! Thanks for your input. Keep the messages coming and I will for sure keep all you Taco. guys and gals informed of my experience. Hoping my wheels will come home with me. Gas prices insane here but would like to keep my Tacoma until I run it into the ground. Gently used, lady-driven, only 96,000 kms. (65,000 miles??) and 8 years old. Such a shame to see it in a scrap yard if it comes to that. Thanks guys!!
    Well we finally heard from Toyota on our 2001 . Book value and not a penny more is what we will be receiving ...I guess they really wanted to make sure I NEVER buy another toyota!
  • ldent1ldent1 Member Posts: 5
    If I received a letter does this mean I have a VIN# that is part of the buy back? I am taking mine in next week, because of the letter I received, to the dealership where I bought it 11 years ago brand new. It is a 1997 with 73,000 miles on it because I have a car and a truck. I am not seeing many 1997's that have been bought back. I have mixed emotions about this buy back because I cannot replace it but I would be a fool not to accept 150% of what it is worth on a 11 year old vehicle. Mine is in great shape and there are things that I would take off if they buy it back.
    I have the same truck with 73,000 miles and in great condition. I take mine in next week so I am curious what you received.
    What kind of truck was this 98? I have a 97 4X4 Extended Cab with 73,000 miles on it. Just wondered how fair this buyout was.
  • bigandybigandy Member Posts: 70
    Anyone have any idea what kind of percentage of pre-2004 Tacomas are passing the Toyota inspections? Thinking about buying something in the 2000-2003 range and would like to have some idea of what I might be getting into. I'm in California and I would have to think that most of the trucks around here are ok, but that's why I'm asking.
  • hockeyeasthockeyeast Member Posts: 43
    I received almost 9000.00 for my 96 4WD std. cab w/156,000 miles. That was fair!
    New payment suxs though.
  • heywood1heywood1 Member Posts: 851
    The buyback money is not intended to to put owners in a new truck 'free and clear.' It's meant to provide owners with enough money to replace a vehicle with a similiar one at the retail price point, and cover tax, title, fees, and (maybe) aggravation. And, remember, Toyota is valuing all vehicles as being in 'Excellent' condition. I seriously doubt the majority of these 7-12 year-old trucks actually are.
    Which just emphasizes the point. If you had a 98 Tacoma with 6-digit mileage and it was sent to the crusher,
    A) you likely won't find another 98 Tacoma that the buyback cash would cover
    B) you won't trust another Tacoma of that vintage
    C) you aren't likely to buy another brand truck of that age and mileage because you won't know its history

So that leaves you in the position of spending money on a new/newer vehicle that this buyback won't necessarily cover. Now you're making payments again (and seeing higher insurance premiums) when that 98 Tacoma was costing you very little to own.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • modman2modman2 Member Posts: 2
    TOOK MY 98 TACOMO EXTRA CAB 86,000 MILES ON IT IN FOR INSPECTION JULY 1, IT FAILED RECEIVED LETTER JULY 10 TOYOTA GIVING ME $14,400 FOR IT, LETTER OF APPROVAL WAS SENT FAXED BACK JULY11.
    Admittedly, used Tacomas aren't for sale on every street corner. In general, though, I think this buyback program is more than fair for most people in most situations.

BTW: I am the owner of a 2001 Tacoma that was taken off the street by my dealer just last week, due to hole in the frame you can put your hand through. Vehicle only has 38,000 miles, and from what I read here, I probably WON'T be getting 1.5x value like '95-'00 owners with 6-digit odometers.

But even if I receive only 1.0x retail value (not including $1,000 new vehicle credit many in this forum are getting), it's still more than I could have ever sold it for privately or received in trade. Also, its condition was not 'Excellent.'

I went ahead a bought new '08 Access Cab 4x4, even though my case hasn't been settled yet. I'm betting that being an agreeable, loyal customer will serve me better than being complaintive and angry. Picked up the truck this morning. New Tacoma is like a Lexus compared to the '01. Love it.
  • f3wf3w Member Posts: 1
    Everyone mostly seems satisfied with their offer, has anyone contacted a lawyer or product liability type? Has anyone haggled for more money?

2000 Tacoma TRD extended cab 100k mi, excellent shape, dealer serviced;
    offer: $15.9k + 1k incentive to buy another Toyota
    Dear bigandy---As stated in one of my previous messages, I called my dealership here in Southern Ontario a few weeks ago regarding how many of the trucks are being pulled off the road. My recall letter concerns Tacomas 1995-2000 with a small no. that are supposedly shaowing frame perforation. Dealership here said that they had seen 10 Tacos so far and that 4 had been pulled off the road. We in this area of course deal with road salt for several months every year. Not a huge sample of what may be going on across N. America but just letting you know of my info. so far. My truck goes in to be inspected next week. Time to face the music. I have a 2000 Tacoma-65,000 miles?--96,000 kms. Letter says will receive 1.5 Canadian Black Book value. That will place it at approx. 15,000-16,000 dollars Canadian. Perhaps it pass inspection. Will keep you guys posted.
    I have a 1997 Tacoma 4X4 Extended cab with 73,000 miles and it passed inspection yesterday. There must have been 15 or 20 of them on the lot that had failed. It was truly sad and mine was in better shape than any of them so I was really glad it passed. I cannot replace my truck with what I want so I would prefer just to keep what I have knowing I have taken care of it. The dealorship said 90% are failing inspection so I really thought there was no hope in bringing it home. It is home and it is mine and it is paid for. I will have it inspected once a year in the spring after the winter salt for 4 more years. The money was good but having my truck is better!
    What are people paying for new 2008-2009 Tacoma's in relation to MSRP? If the trucks went up 5.1% this year. The Toyota Corp. gives a 1K check to get into a new one but that doesn't mean much if the dealers are sticking to the window sticker price.

As to the disscussion on how may trucks are failing inspection. Some dealer's must be grading harder than others. Our Canton Ohio dealer is flunking every one that comes in as far as I can tell then selling most all of them a new vehical..
    Here in western PA, I paid $22,750 ($23,750 minus $1,000 rebate) + tax for '08 Access Cab 4x4 V6 Auto base model. Only options were sliding rear window and mats/door sills. MSRP was $25,139. Dealer had to locate due to color. Could have had one on the lot for $200 less. I probably could have trolled the internet for a dozen quotes and saved a few hundred more, but my dealer has been helpful with the frame issue on my '01. Inspection is tomorrow.
    Dear Ident1--Have now spoken to 3 local Toyota dealerships in the Southern Ontario area. Road salt an issue here every winter. The stats. here are as follows according to the "service person" that I spoke to at each dealership. Toyotatown-London, ON-10 Tacos in (4 pulled off road), Competition Toyota-also in London, ON (20 Tacos in (4 pulled off road), Exeter Toyota-Exeter, ON (8 or 9 Tacos in (4 pulled off road) Also, Exeter Toyota allowed pulled Taco owners to take trucks home and remove anything of value such as newer set of tires, etc. etc.. Not sure if that affects the Canadian Black Book Value they received however they could return truck after they had "stripped truck" My truck goes for inspection tomorrow. Will update then via this site. My truck has 96,000 kms.--65,000?? miles. What a pain in the butt this situation is! DIVWID--Lady Taco owner in S. Ontario
    Thanks for the responce heywood1.

Looks like the dealer can come down 5.5% from the window sticker, before the $1000 Toyota Corporation rebate. The dealer has about 9.2% to play with inbetween MSRP and invoice baced on th enumbers from Edmunds.
    You know this whole thing sucks, I started my ordeal 6/25. Took truck to dealer, failed inspection. On 6/30 got offer letter. I signed it 7/2, once I signed it Toyota Customer Care turned into [non-permissible content removed].On 7/7, ISG requeusted check from Toyota. On 7/14 I was contacted by my ISG Local agent, meeting her tonight for the " big payoff". There is confusion if I can or cannot keep the rental for teh full 30 days, so lets see tonight, will Toyota pay me off an dleave me stranded 45 minutes from home? or allow me to keep teh rental till this lousy check clears and I can buy another vehicle, lets see how far the CUstomer Appreciattionreally flows! :confuse:

Now I see that 2008 Tacos are hard to find...... the 2009 are 5.1% MORE $$.
    Who has bought an 2009 Extended cab AUTOMATIC SR5 with just the Option #2 package? What did you pay?
    I am terrible at these things, so if the online MSRP is 27k, what are you saying the actual haggle them down too?
    I'm not sure the dealer was getting (full) holdback since it wasn't on the lot.

Also, '08's with rebate seem to be disappearing quickly, due to plenty of frame issue buyers and the big price increase of '09's-- which are already on dealer lots with nothing new except some color changes. There were only a handful of '08's left of the color and model I wanted in Central Atlantic region.
  • schukanuosladyschukanuoslady Member Posts: 118
    Just to let you know.... My Taco went to the dealer on May 31. I left with a loaner. As soon as I was contacted by ISG for another copy of my registration I started car shopping as I noticed all Toyotas used and new went up in price. By June 5, a week later I had an idea of how much I was going to get in my head. So I went and bought a new car. They knew about the Toyota buyback and let me give them a personal check for over 4 grand and said they would hold onto for 30 days. I got financed for the rest, got 2 grand off in manufactors rebates signed over to the dealer, plus the dealer took $1500 off the sticker price on the window. I got my check from Toyota on June 26 and it cleared overnight. I wouldn't worry too much about how long it will take to clear. The check came from Bank of America and my bank told me there was no hold on it. I got a check for $10400 for my 97 Toyota Taco. It was almost $1000 more than what I figured. And I believe my paperwork said you get the full 30 days for a rental. And another week if needed to buy a car. They are hoping you buy something from the dealer who took your truck in for inspection of course. But they offered to let me keep the loaner. I kept the loaner on purpose so as not to put a lot of miles on my new car. I figured Toyota owed me that much since I lost my truck I worked so hard to pay off as a single mom when I first bought it 11 yrs ago. The dealer than wanted to know if I wanted to check out any of their cars/trucks. I said no. And turned the loaner in. Then got to the bank before 12 noon and the next day had a bank check to take to the Hyundai dealer. I showed him my stub what Toyota paid for my 97 and he asked me if he could show it to a few guys in finance and I said sure. Hey...they let me leave with a car almost 4 weeks before that holding onto my personal check. And I figured let these salesmen have some fun seeing how Toyota is going to suffer a big loss buying back these trucks. I loved my Taco. I still miss it but I love the new Hyundai I bougtht. Lots of luck finding another Toyota truck if that is what you are going for. My advice is do what I did. I paid for a month of carfax and ran vin numbers on used vehicles for a week before I decided when I saw what I could get that Hyundai for not to buy used. But that month of carfax helped me not make 2 big mistakes on some chevys that I thought were a good deal. It was worth $30 for an unlimited month.
    If the dealer invoice is $24,725 and they mark up 9.2%, for the window sticker, it would make the MSRP $27,000.
    Dear Taco Owners--Had my Taco into dealership here in S. Ontario. 2000 Taco-65,000 miles, 96,000 kms.--8 years old. They said that there is "one small hole" in frame" and they would not pass it. They rummaged thru glove compartment, photocopied ownership and insurance info., took photos all around it. Then with this file together came to me in waiting room with the news. Suggested I leave truck there now. Told them no. Needed time to look into situation further and drove Taco home. Found local buyer for good tires on truck. Have local mechanic "doublechecking frame." Info. sent to Toyota Canada. Letter with money offer in 2 weeks. So far no call from insurance company. Would I be covered in an accident with this truck in the next year if I refuse the offer?? Offer should be about 15,000-16,000 Canadian. Paid 19,000 + taxes=22,000 5 years ago--Canadian dollars. Considering a basic Corolla (auto.)- approx. 16,000 Cndn. dollars. Should I refuse offer over this "one small hole"?? Please, Somebody, ANYBODY--what should I do when offer comes?? Lady Taco Owner in S. Ontario
  • schukanuosladyschukanuoslady Member Posts: 118
    I would take it at the price goes down each year. And that small hole is just the beginning of what is going to come. I was also told that Albany NY is going to be notified of who keeps their Tacos and don't turn them in to Toyota and that NY will not do an inspection on them if they get the vin#. There is a reason they want to buy it from you for that "small" hole. Its just the start. Don't forget that small hole came from rust probably and rust is like cancer, it spreads. Would you rather have a bigger amount of money this year or less money next year? I hated getting rid of my 1997, but they showed us where the hole was. And my husband being the driver of an 18 wheeler had already noticec what was going on with my Taco last year and paid to have the rust sandblasted off and repainted to help. Plus my truck had been undercoated for salt when I bought it. And it still got a hole. Just remember the insurance companines are starting to find out too when trucks are being removed from their policies. You might not be able to insure your truck come your next renewal.
    My insurance agent, flat out told me, that once I was told the frame was defective/unsafe, they would not insure me if something happened because of the frame.

The ISG people, handleing the buy back, use the kelly blue book like a bible. You can reject their offer, wait for toyota corporate to call you and try to reason with them. I was told by toyota, that the manufacture added options not listed on KBB, I just have to eat and not get any credit for.

I have been getting some real hard [non-permissible content removed] talk from the local dealer and toyota corporate that I WILL sign off (take all liabillity off Toyota) on my truck if I keep the truck. If I don't are they going to send some one to my house to rough me up? Between toyota corporate and the local rep, I have been lied to so much my head is spinning.
    You don't actually file a claim/complaint. Your truck must be inspected annually by a Toyota dealer to keep the 15 year warranty in effect. Once the truck fails, the process begins.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host