Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma 2004 and Earlier Frame Problem

Comments

• screwed4screwed4 Member Posts: 11
    DO NOT give up....I am the owner of a 2002 tacoma. On november 11, 2008, I took my truck in for an oil change and a problem with my check engine light being on. I was told immediately by the dealership, that I had rust/corrosion. I was told toyota would notify me within 45 days with an offer, 1.5 tomes kelly blue book. well, January came, and nothing was received, Tiffany bishop, my case worker, told me I was only to get a frame replacement. I wrote to everybody, toyota, BBB, auto safety, department of transportation, local reps, state reps. tv stations. Ms Bishop was not helpful at all, ans sometimes rude, not sympathetic that we are owners of rust buckets. I honestly feel my truck is unsafe for the highway. as of Feb, 10, 2008, I have received a call, that I was included in the buyback, and offer of 16,300., I am so relieved not to be getting a frame replacemnent. How could it ever be done right without several problems occuring? In my area, there are only 2 replacemnts that they were going to do, mine and another, scary....They are not certified to be doing this work properly, who are they kidding?? Please do not give up...keep writing and calling everybody you can think of...Let everybody be aware of this insafe vehicle, We have fought since November, and over and over were told by tiffany, we only were to receive a frame replacement, keep telling them that it is unacceptable. There was a channel 5 in boston area, who had previously done a story on the older tacoma rust/ corrosion problem, I did contact them, and they asked me if I would do an interview with them. Where are you located in the us?
    Her name is Jennifer bearman. This forum has alot of information to help you, just go back through it, as I did, that is how I got info on boston channel 5. GOOD LUCK and DO NOT GIVE UP!!! tell toyota what you think about how they are trying to screw you with a new frame, keep calling them, keep writing them.
  • Sambone5769Sambone5769 Member Posts: 19
    Well, [non-permissible content removed].
    I wish I had heard from you earlier. All I've heard is that the replacement issue is the ONLY option. To the best of my knowledge, my truck is having the surgery as we speak.
    Damn.
    as I posted eariler on this board, I am the owner of a 2002 tacoma. My truck is inexcellent condition, with only 65, 000 miles. I was told by dealer in nov, I qualified for buy back, then was told I was only getting a new frame, after ALOT of complaints, letter writing, etc, I am now back in the buy back program 1.5 times kelly blue book value. So, condition of truck must not make the difference in my opinion.My local dealer service manager was excellent and helpful, sympathetic to me, whereas Tiffany Bishop, could be rude at at times, Latonya and sara were courteous, from Impartial services.I do know that tiffany's boss is Kristi. Good Luck, do not settle for just a frame!!!! Keep on em'...It is Toyota's responsibilty to completely take these trucks off the road. And...months to come, I believe there will be some BIG issues toyota will be faced with..why are they so selective with these newer models? Consumers with newer models are being discrimated against. Write to everybody as much as possible, keep on your claims worker. Write to local tv stations, congress, auto safety, dept of highway transportation , toyota, BBB, and just maybe...eventually they will have to include ALL of defective frames from Dana no matter what year the truck is...People have to write and complain, make officials aware of the unsafety of these trucks. A frame replacement is UNACCEPTABLE!!!! and YOU are being discrimated against.I honestly felt with a frame replacemnt, that my truck would be a road to many many future problems arising.And in my opinion, it can not be cost effective for them in the end. Good Luck
    well they told me the same thing, over and over again. Tiffany was rude to say the least. I asked for her boss's name, she told me, I MAKE ALL THE FINAL DESICIONS!!! I said everbody has a boss, I kept calling daily, whoever answered the phone, I would tell them my problem. I did find out that Kristi is tiffany's boss. But, like I posted earlier, still write and call, maybe eventually they pull them all off the road, Does not hurt to write complaint letters, and keep a log, and hopefully, when enough problems exist from the frame replacemnt, something will be done, good luck to you!! I eventually look for a major law suit. Keep your information logged, you never know.
  • mcalauttmcalautt Member Posts: 67
    YES fight for the buy back
    the frame replacment is a scam.
    I had an 01 and fought my way into a buyback.
    but the later it gets the less likely you will get a buyback.
    they really are just stating a frame replacement or nothing.
  • tacoma200111tacoma200111 Member Posts: 1
    I'm a tacoma 2001 owner and have been told by the dealship that the paper work for the frame replacement needs to be put in with Toyota first and that for 2001 and older the only option is replacement, unless parts take longer than 30 days.

I'm hoping for the 30 days and will be pursuing all avenues on the buy back.
  • Red01TacomaRed01Tacoma Member Posts: 9
  • Red01TacomaRed01Tacoma Member Posts: 9
    My 01 Tacoma has failed inspection. If someone from Toyota is listening: I do not want the truck back with all the problems that will come with taking apart the truck and putting it back together. I want an option of you giving me KBB as a trade in and I am willing to purchase a new Toyota. Why aren't you offering something other than just the frame replacement? If you read these blogs, your loyal customers are asking for other alternatives to the new frames. Most are not asking for 150% buy back, but something in-between.
  • lostmytacolostmytaco Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone seen any of the tacoma's at a junk yard being crushed like everyone has been told that what was going to happen to them
  • grammydgrammyd Member Posts: 6
    2001 - 2004 Canadian Tacoma Owners take a look.. copied from Yotatech

----------------------------

Subject: Advanced Notification on Customer Satisfaction Campaign 917 – Warranty Coverage Extension for Tacoma Frame Rust Corrosion Perforation

For your advanced information, TCI will be initiating a Customer Satisfaction Campaign 917 on certain 2001 through 2004 Model Year Tacoma vehicles to extend the warranty coverage for perforation of the vehicle’s frame caused by rust corrosion.

In order to receive the warranty extension, customers must bring in their vehicle to an authorized Toyota dealer for inspection and to have a Corrosion-Resistant Treatment applied to the frame and (where necessary) any frame repairs performed.

Q1: What is the condition?

A1: Toyota has received reports regarding a number of 2001 through 2004 model year Tacoma vehicles exhibiting excessive rust corrosion to the frame, causing perforation of the metal.

Q1a: What is the cause of this condition?

A1a: The frames on a number of vehicles may not have adequate corrosion-resistant protection. This combined with prolonged exposure to road salts and other environmental factors may contribute to the development of excessive rust corrosion in the frames of some vehicles. This is unrelated to and separate from normal surface rust which is commonly found on metallic surfaces after some years of usage and/or exposure to the environment.

Q2: What is Toyota going to do?

A2: Although the vehicle’s frame is covered by Toyota’s New Vehicle Limited Warranty for 3 years or 60,000 kilometers (whichever comes first), we at Toyota care about the customer’s overall experience and confidence in their vehicle. To assure our customers that we stand behind the product, we will extend the warranty coverage, for a total of fifteen years/unlimited mileage from the vehicle’s in-service date, on the vehicle’s frame for this specific condition, subject to the terms and conditions outlined in the owner notification letter.

Q3: Is it a safety issue?

A3: No. All iron based metallic material will eventually rust. This issue is related to inadequate corrosion-resistance protection, therefore, we believe this is a long term durability issue.

Q4: Is this a recall?

A4: No. This is an extension of the warranty coverage on 2001 through 2004 model year Tacoma vehicles for perforation of the vehicle’s frame caused by rust corrosion. This warranty extension, subject to certain conditions, will be provided for a period of 15 years with no mileage limitation from the vehicle’s in-service date, for this specific condition.

Q5: Why is Toyota launching this Customer Satisfaction Campaign?

A5: We at Toyota care about the customer’s overall experience with and confidence in their vehicle. To assure our customers that we stand behind the product, we are providing, subject to certain terms and conditions detailed in the Owner’s letter, an extension of the warranty coverage on certain 2001 through 2004 model year Tacoma vehicles for perforation of the vehicle’s frame caused by rust corrosion.

Q6: What are some of the terms and conditions of the Warranty Extension?

A6: In order for the warranty enhancement to apply, the customer must bring the vehicle to a Toyota dealer before October 31, 2010. The dealer will inspect the condition of the frame and apply a corrosion-resistant treatment at no charge to the customer. Owners of affected vehicles will receive the details of this program in the owner notification.

Q7: Does this Customer Satisfaction Campaign apply to rusted body panels?

A7: No. This Customer Satisfaction Campaign only applies to the frame of certain 2001 to 2004 model year Tacoma vehicles.

Q8: Are 1995 to 2000 model year Tacomas covered under this program?

A8: No. Toyota launched a Customer Support Program in early 2008 for 1995 to 2000 model year Tacoma vehicles.

Q9: Are there any other Toyota or Lexus models included in this program?

A9: No. This Warranty Enhancement only applies to 2001 to 2004 Model Year Tacoma vehicles.

Q10: What is Toyota’s standard rust perforation warranty coverage for the frame?

A10: Under the Toyota New Vehicle Warranty, the frame is covered by Toyota’s New Vehicle Limited Warranty for 3 years or 60,000 kilometers (whichever comes first). This is typical practice in the automotive industry.

Q11: When did you learn about this condition?

A11: We began to investigate this issue in 2001 through 2004 trucks in the first quarter of 2008.

Q12: What is involved in the corrosion-resistant treatment?

A12: Any Toyota dealership will inspect the condition of the vehicle’s frame and apply a corrosion-resistant treatment. The treatment will be applied to both external and internal surfaces of the frame to enhance the corrosion protection of the Tacoma’s frame.

Q13: How long will the corrosion-resistant treatment take?

A13: The treatment process is an overnight process. However, depending upon the dealer’s work
    schedule, it may be necessary to make the vehicle available for a longer period of time. During the corrosion-resistant treatment process, however, the Toyota dealer will arrange for a complimentary loaner vehicle for the customer’s use at no charge while the vehicle is being treated.

Q14: What is the warranty on the corrosion-resistant treatment?

A14: The frame on Tacoma vehicles included in this program will be covered by the warranty enhancement. The enhancement, subject to the terms and conditions outlined in the owner notification letter, is for a period of 15 years with no mileage limitations from the vehicle’s in service date for perforation of the vehicle’s frame caused by rust corrosion.

Q15: What if a vehicle has already experienced this condition?

A15: Any Toyota dealer will inspect the vehicle’s frame and apply the corrosion-resistant treatment if the frame is not perforated due to this condition. If the inspection of the vehicles confirms excessive rust corrosion to the frame causing perforation of the metal, Toyota will, at its option, either repair or repurchase the vehicle.

Q16: What is Toyota going to do if perforation of the vehicle’s frame caused by rust corrosion is found?

A16: Upon confirmation, Toyota will, at its option, either repair or repurchase the vehicle.

Q17: Is there any special consideration in the case of vehicle repurchase?

A17: In the case of repurchase, Toyota Canada will reimburse the customer for the value of their vehicle up to 1.5 times the Canadian Black Book® Suggested Retail Value or at original MSRP when the vehicle was purchased, whichever is lower. The vehicle will be assessed as a vehicle in excellent condition regardless of the vehicle’s actual condition; however, a deduction will be made for moderate damage and/or missing components. Owners will receive detailed information about the terms and conditions for this program in the owner notificat
  • rachelfrachelf Member Posts: 12
    Picking up newly framed Taco on Tue. wondering if i should sign off on the repair- I am worried about the extended warranty.. I know it is inevitable that I will have new issues/problems due to this "repair" but will this warranty cover those problems.....
    any ideas or experience out there? I am not psyched to be one of the first to go thru this.........kinda like a surgeons first procedure...............
  • silver01tacosilver01taco Member Posts: 4
    Hi Rachel - you're one of the first on here to be reframed. I am awaiting the parts for the process for my 01' Tacoma 4x4 myself at Kinderhook Toyota in upstate NY and am curious how your experience has been. I'm currently second in line -I guess it's better than being the guinea pig . I'm also curious about the folks out there that may have received buybacks with their 01'-04's. What Toyota numbers did you call? -what extensions? Did you all have to go through a case worker? Any help you can give would be appreciated - I've already called the attorney generals office, and contacted other government officials that are supposed to be working "for us" to try to get something done about this major issue.
    I am willing to bet that nothing but the frame and components replaced will be covered by warranty later down the road unless something happen as a result of the frame replacement. for example. you have a fuse that keeps blowing. the mechanic determines that it was a wire that got pinched when they bolted the body back onto the frame.. Here is the catch, toyota wont warranty something that was screwed up during installation so now you would need the mechanic to admit he screwed up.
    not good odds.
    I would get in writing what is actually covered and I would specifically ask the service manager as well as your toyota case manager to answer this question.
    this is why I have said all along that the frame replacement is a joke and toyota is screwing their customers.
    I got a buyback and mine was an 01.
    there is no special number to call.
    i lucked out because I had mine inspected and failed just prior to them coming out with the frame replacement program. they tried to tell me I was getting a frame and I said NO.
    i fought and they gave in.. but i dont think that will happen now.
  • GoinDivinGoinDivin Member Posts: 2
    Had essentially the same experience with my 01. The dealer noticed the rot when it was in for basic maintenance, and originally they said it'd likely get a frame replacement. They were eventually told it was in the buyback, because they weren't quite ready to roll out the replacement process yet.

Didn't have to call anyone, just waited to be contacted by ISG. I eventually heard from Latonya there, who was polite and helpful and gave me an honest 150% KBB buyout offer. My local dealer was helpful throughout too, with a no-questions-asked loaner.

Just the luck of the draw, I guess. Wasn't planning on buying a new truck anytime soon, but so far, I very happy with my 09 Taco.

Hope the frame replacement process goes well for everyone stuck with it.
    When you know more about the warranty on the frame replacement then the guy who put it in...... got a call from the service mgr. telling me my truck is ready. i asked to receive something in writing regarding a warranty on the work...." I dont know anything about a warranty, I just do the work- come pick up your truck! " I politely mention that I have some knowledge of a 15 yr warranty on the frame (which I learned here- thanks) . " I dont know anything about it- come pick up your truck!" I
    mention that since he is the service mgr of an authorized Toyota dealership that it might behoove him to know something about it......I say that I am hesitant to sign off on the repair without knowing that I will be covered "down the road" for any subsequent problems stemming from the frame replacement. He says : " There is nothing to sign- come pick up your truck!"
    What the @%*& ! I have not received one piece of anything in writing from Toyota since the whole debaucle started on Dec. 1. I have a call in to our favorite corp. dude Kevin to clarify ( yeah right) the warranty......I am completely bummed about my dealer ( BTW I bought my truck there) and the service mgr. needs some anger management help. I have decided to wait till I speak w/ Kevin to pick up the vehicle.....I am a pretty laid back individual, but am also considering calling the Mgr of the dealership to complain about the aggressive way I have been dealt w/ and thelack of dealer support and knowledge of the situation. ( Like that will do anything.....except ruin all future service I have done there). As you can see, I am frustrated- so thanks for letting me vent- What's done is done, and maybe I will have no problems down the road-
  • doubleusndoubleusn Member Posts: 20
    Hi - I eventually went a different route and worked a trade on an 09 for my frame rusted 02. Your above frustrations(s) was one of the reasons I did this. The 1st month was bad enough, but knew it would just be more of the same as time went on. For whatever it is worth, my dealer was overall pretty decent about things. The only time it got 'heated' was when we were both being jerked around by Toyota Motor Corp. (Each being told different things) A quick call to the dealers owner got things back in sync. I eventually spoke with his #2 person (owners) but it fixed the problem. In the long run though I am 99.99% convinced this is a Toyota Corp thing and the dealers are also at the mercy of them like we are and are also being jerked around by them like we are. My original case manager @ corp was confrontational, didn't return calls when she said she would, etc, etc. My dealer's CS manager, while we didn't always see eye to eye, was always very respectful. Maybe a quick call to the owner (probably listed in dealers website or via BBB lookup) may get things back under control. After you get where yo need to be maybe you could post a list of what was replaced. The frame and what misc parts? Thanks in advance and good luck.

Cheers
    -wsn
  • silver01tacosilver01taco Member Posts: 4
    I have been given an approxiamate list as to what's included with my frame replacement. In addition to the frame itself, all brake lines, rear leaf springs, spring shackles, front control arms, and what they generically call frame replacement kit #1 and #2 are included in the swap -that's all I know thus far. I'm still waiting for an actual frame myself -It's been 3 weeks now since I was inspected and failed and no frame yet. Every time I call the dealer service department (who has been excellent thus far) they've been very cooperative and tell me as soon as they have anything that they'll call ASAP. Unfortunately, I've heard horror stories of having to wait a month or more for this process. I hope that isn't the case.
  • pataco01pataco01 Member Posts: 14
    Huh, 3 weeks? Try 2 months. Talked to the dealer the other day and mine was to be started 2/23. Was at the dealership 2 weeks ago bs'n to the mechanic and he actually told me it takes him and 1 other guy a full day from start to alignment. Bullcrap. They're gonna have to cut the bumper off mine cuz I welded it on when I got tired of the DEER knock'n it off. Plus I'm having them do the clutch and timing belt. That'll keep me from cuss'n out those top bell housing bolts.
  • daleyplanitdaleyplanit Member Posts: 27
    I bought my 2001 ext cab 4x4 Tacoma truck in 3/07 and it was perfect. A $400 toyota inspection before a 3k plus mile road trip confirmed that.

In 9/08, with 122k on the odometer the local muffler shop noticed severe rust on the frame. I took the truck to Toyota. It failed the frame inspection.

The dealer sent me to 1-800 go toyota. No loaner, no loyalty discount, no help from a human being, and claims "you won't get 150% value (well... who are we kidding, 150% of a truck worth 50% less than I paid for it would be 100% what it should be worth, but let's not split hairs here....)

I was FURIOUS. I got nothing in writing about the contract Toyta wanted me to enter. I was threatened on the phone that if i did not take their offer right there and then it would be "significantly lower on the next call." Oh, PS, toyota offered me $1,000 less than KBB value.

After a lenthy debate and 25-50 letters (I'm not exaggerating) to every single authority or elected official I could find I took Toyotas measly offer, and left my baby at the dealership. That list is in a previous thread, folks

All the used Tacomas or sale out there of the same style and vintage were thousands more than toyota offered me. I also did not want to buy another rust bucket.

Toyota called today and made a generous financial attempt to right things. I don't know if is some new policy, whether my letters touched a nerve, or someone messed up on their bookkeeping. I'm glad the frame replacement was not avaialble to me - because I would have taken it, and I know it would have been a nighmare.

My message to people is this" Toyota is not handling this correctly. Frame replacements and sub-full-value buyback offers are simply not fair. I am glad Toyota is doing something, and in this economy, while posting record losses, it seems to me even generous of them. However, the process isn't appropriate for the trouble people are going through.

I can't believe Toyota is spending so much money on a program like this. Processing claims, losing slae value on loaners, paying dealers and mechanics to process and repair this, risking lawsuit, and finally, paying customer support to try to clean this mess.

Their policy should be

-Take the truck to any dealership. If it fails inspection Toyota will issue you a check for 125% the full value of the truck right there and then OR give you 150% the value of your truck to be used as a trade-in. Offer 1% financing for the balance of the loan. Don't give a loaner, no waiting, no frame replacement. Toyota or ISG takes the trucks and sells parts, or ships them to place in Texas that only does frame rebuilds (no rust, no problem) for the southern (salt-free) market.

Eliminate the delays and the poor customer service. Eliminate the hassle for a loaner.

Yes, it will be more expensive, HOWEVER people will be more satisfied, the dealer service depts won't be bogged down, inventories will move again. and Toyota will gain loyalty by doing everything the right way. People loved their Tacoma's Get people in a new truck with as little hassle as possible and keep people coming back.

Yeah... in a perfect world...

My advice is: Keep records, write letters, and don't take it sitting down. I know it seems that writing letters and calling elected officials doesn't seem worth it - but if you've been treated unfairly, well, no one is going to come rescue you. Perhaps I got hush money, perhaps Toyota paid me not to sue them (I had considered it), and perhaps its a coincidence.

I think to look at it this way

- If you make a bad product, that endagers people's lives, then you can't handle customers in a fair manner... well you get what you have coming.

No more Toyotas for me. They chose the bottom line for this hand and lost the entire game.
    Picked up my Taco today..... I spoke w/ corp Kevin this am (he actually answered the phone!) and he cleared up a bit of my concern with the repair- this repair, like any work done at the dealer is written up as a repair order, this is in fact a contract, and warranties said repair for one year. The frame has a 15 yr perforation warranty (big wup, the body will rust first) I was/am concerned about things that will happen due to the major surgery.....a year will suffice to see what happens. All my service mgr had to do was tell me this instead of- " I dont know anything about a warranty- just pick up yor truck". I spoke w/ the dealership owner before I left who apologized and said I probably caught the service mgr on an "off" day. Whatever.......it's over. or maybe just starting we'll see. they basically put in a frame, leaf spring, control arm, and assorted brackets and clamps etc.
  • liljohn01liljohn01 Member Posts: 2
    I guess i should of come back and updated this.

I recieved 100% KBB around the end of October 2008.

I just today 02/24/2009 recieved a call from Toyota and they are mailing me a check for the remainder 50%. So all told I got about 18.2k for my 2001 TACO with 130+k miles on it. Not to bad!!!

Two things in this whole process I did not like were.

1. That I had to wait 10 days for Toyota's check to clear and I had to return the rental the day they gave me the check. This could of left me without a vehical.

Luckly the Ford dealer who I was purchasing from worked with me on this.

2. The 3 months wait without a single word from Toyota. They could of atleast called and told me they missed me, lol. Seriously, give us an update once a week or biweekly atleast. It would go a long way to making us feel better about it.

3. I guess there is a third and that is that I had to give them an answer when they called about anything and if I said No, I had to return the rental. That is just bad customer service hell I was in the middle of a business trip the one time and could not even return the car for 3 days.

Anyways, I bought it cause of their reliability but I won't buy another. This frame issue is a major screw up, but they atleast are trying to fix it the right way.

Later,
    ~lj
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Since you're the first of the group to receive your frame replacement, be sure to keep everyone up to date as you add up the miles. You can also take advantage of the personal blog space here at Edmunds, which you can access from your CarSpace page: http://www.carspace.com/rachelf

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • johnny66johnny66 Member Posts: 11
    Hi, do you have any idea what month your truck was produced? When was your case started? We have finally had a Toyota rep look at the truck after starting a case file in October. He said the buybacks were only good from October thru December but we were in contact almost every week and no one ever told us. Letters to owners in Illinois have not even been sent out yet.
    When was your case started? We have been waiting since the end of October and finally after checking in every week a Toyota rep finally looked at the truck. We have recieved no letters from Toyota, in fact found out today that the notification letters for illinois have not even been mailed out yet. Thanks
    How long ago did your case start?
    I was just wondering when you started your case with Toyota and when they made you an offer. Thanks
    I took my 2002 tacoma in for an oil change and a problem with my "check engine light". The date was November 11, 2008. The dealership performed the oil change, while on the lift, I was informed about the massive rust. My receipt that day stated as follows: No further diagnostics performed due to rust/corrosion perforated frame.
    I was asked to leave my truck on that day, just luckily, the rep was due in the following day. I was told from my dealer about the buyback, I was clueless, as to I knew of nobody in my area with this problem. the dealer told me my truck was more rusted than the earlier models. When the rep inspected it the following day, I was told it had failed, with 45 days I would receive an offer from Toyota in the mail.
    well, this time frame put us the holidays, we received nothing. so, On January 7th we for the first time was able to reach our case manager, tiffany bishop, she told us that we were NOT included in the buyback, as to that program ended in december. I told her I was at my dealer on november 11th, I wanted to be grandfathered into the buyback, she said I am sorry, you are going to be getting a frame replaement. I said oh no I am not. I told her this issue would not be settled over the phone. I had asked to have a meeting scheduled with the rep, cause the first time of inspection I had just dropped off my truck, I was not able to talk with him. so, I continued almost daily to have contact with Ms. bishop, who was rude to say the least at times, and I was rude to her back, after all, we are the consumers drivoing our families in unsafe vehicles, not her, I am the loser in this situation.
    she would contine to tell me I was only getting a new frame, meanwhile, I wrote out letters to everyone, BBB, auto safety , attorney general, state and local reps,toyota, over and over.
    I asked Ms bishop who her boss was, she replied, I make the final decision. well, everybody has a boss. and her boss is Kristi.
    I kept calling the toyota number, and different people would answer, I would tell them my problem, for as long as they would listen.
    2001-2004 are being discrimated against for having newer vehicles, toyota needs to make it right for every owner with the frame rot. These trucks are not safe.
    A frame replacement, to me meant big big problems I could not have imagined my truck ever being right or safe after a frame replacement, I told them I did not feel the dealership was qualified to do this work. I honestly did not trust them. To me this is a major overhaul, alot of parts included, alot of nuts and bolts.
    message continued...around feb 12, 2008, received a call from latonya, from impartial services, wow, she is really friendly, professional, unlike the case manager, she informed me I was included in the buyback, I asked her over the phone the amount, and she said 16,300.00. I had 3 days to accept the offer, and fax the contract back to impartial services. I meet with the rep on March 7th to pick up check and hand over the keys to my 2002, and although it is in excellent condition, 65,000 miles, God answered my prayers to take this unsafe truck away.

Everybody MUST write as many letters as possible...

It is Toyotas responsibility to include every truck in the repurchase program with faulty frames from dana.

as I have read, many newer models 05 and 06 are starting with frame rust issues.

Not to sound stupid, where do I find when my truck was produced? it is 1 2002, so I suppose in was produced in 2001.

Good Luck Everyone!!!
    anybody on this board from the Boston area??

I had researched online and found where Boston channel 5 had previously done an investigation on earlier models with rust, I contacted them, they responded, asking me if I would consider doing an interview, However, I am not located in boston, but anbody interested, her name was jennifer bearman. I just went to the website, and told them my story: I explained they needed to do another investigation as to the owners of 2001-2004, are being discrimated against. as you know..they have bought back 2001's and 2002's, why are they being selective?? Not fair..can do it for one, should do it for all. These trucks need to be removed from the highway ASAP!!

so, for the ones still fighting for the buyback channel 5 in boston did seem interested,maybe they would do phone interviews if you are not in that area, at least that was going to be my next step.

I honestly feel that i was included in the buyback because I hounded them daily, and wrote complaints to EVERYONE!!
    hey, I bought this truck for its depenability and toyotas reputation.
    Toyota is not a cheap vehicle, we have all bought them for their dependability.

I encorage everybody to not give up if you have not recived your frame yet, demand to be in the buyback.
    post number 648 on this board really got me going, for those still fighting for buyback , I encourage you to go back to that post and read.
    what the ???

"excellent condition, 65,000 miles"???
    a 2002 ? and u got 16300?

was your truck a V6 SR5 automatic 4x4 ?
    I hope not because I got bought back a few weeks ago and got 16385 .
    my truck was a 2001 SR5 auto v6 4x4 with 136+ miles.
    I AM

im about 25 mins north of boston !

I think I saw that investigation done by channel 5 and I am totally against the frame
    replacement
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    Tacoma owners may want to consider a product called Krown Rust Control. It's been around in Canada for a long time. I used it for many years when lived in Ontario. See attached link:
    http://www.krown.com/
    Good luck.
  • jjbillingsjjbillings Member Posts: 4
    I have been reading this forum for several months now. I have an 01 Double cab that will be needing a frame replacement soon. I wanted to take a minute to alleviate the stress some of you are feeling about getting a frame replacement. It's not as scary as you think.

Even though the scale of the job is larger than normal (big nuts and bolts), it should be an easy job for any competent technician. If you would trust a dealership, or any mechanic for that matter to do any specialized work (brakes, suspension, steering, etc...) a frame swap is no different.

There seems to be this idea that these trucks were somehow magically assembled by brilliant scientists. Each one hand fit together. No chance. These trucks were designed to be easily assembled, and can easily be taken apart. Rust and corrosion will hinder the process, but all the rusty hardware will be replaced.

I've monitored the first 2 swaps at a local dealership, as I know several techs there. Everything and anything that might be needed for the job with the exception of exhaust parts, is included in the kit. Other's have listed the parts in previous posts, so I won't repeat it. The total retail cost of the parts plus 60 hrs labor was around $14,000!!! Thats a lot of new parts for an older truck.

If you maintained your truck for the long run, this swap should make you feel even better about getting many more years out of it. Don't get me wrong, Toyota definitely screwed up, but they are trying to fix it (more so than most manufacturers would). I think it would make sense to continue the buy-back, as they can fix the trade-ins and resell them. Anyway, relax, get the new frame if you need it. The truck will be safe and reliable.
    Not sure what experience you have directly with the repair of vehicles but your analogy about a frame swap being the same as brakes, suspension etc is wrong.
    further more, no manufacturer builds cars to be easily disassembled.
    car and trucks are designed and built as efficient as possible as to save the manufacturer time and money on the assembly line.... Frame swap is a very big job. if you get a rolling chassis ( everything built into the frame that is needed) then it would not be as bad but the simple fact is, when you disturb electrical connectors and other fasteners that have been in one position for a long time, odds are there are going to be problems. Most likely your concern should be with electrical.
  • jjbillingsjjbillings Member Posts: 4
    mcalautt:
    "Not sure what experience you have directly with the repair of vehicles but your analogy about a frame swap being the same as brakes, suspension etc is wrong. "

mcalautt: I have many years of service experience, but more importantly, I owned a 1985 Toyota truck that I replaced the frame on. (As you can imagine I am a little ticked that I am 0 for 2 with toyota truck frames) I admit, I was a little weary at first, but the job overall went very smooth. After the swap, I drove it daily for 5 more years and 120,000 more miles trouble free ( I still own it)

An experienced tech, should know how to properly remove electrical connectors. And, if one should get damaged, fix it. Were talking vehicles that are 8 years old in the worst case.

Talking with techs who have done 2 frame swaps already, it went much smoother than anyone first anticipated.

My analogy to brakes, steering, etc..., was in the trust that someone who works on your vehicle will put it back together safely. El-cheepo tire barns who mount tires, install valve stems, and bolt wheels on everyday have an equal amount of responsibility, as would someone doing a frame swap. I guess everyone takes that kind of work for granted.

It's important to understand that this is just my opinion. Most people who know me, hold my opinion in high regard. I wanted to convey some optimism in an otherwise gloomy forum.
  • mags6mags6 Member Posts: 13
    Hi rachelf! Just wondering if any knows- are the new frames made of any better steel than the old ones that have rusted away? I am looking at a 2001 Tacoma Double Cab 4D in Ontario, Canada. This is also the land of the oh so salted roads. The truck is mint with 56000 miles on it. The frame looks pretty rusted but was tested Toyota Canada and had the "punch test" done. It "passed" and was sprayed with some covering that is supposed to protect it. Mmmmmmmm. I think that once rust in introduced it just keeps eating away at the steel and spreading. Should I buy this truck???? After reading all the comments here I am wondering. I sure it will need "frame replacement in the future. Any and all comments and suggestions greatly appreciated.
  • missunderstoodmissunderstood Member Posts: 5
    Hey all, just a heads up. Last year Toyota bought my '01 Taco back and after 2 months of arguing offered me $12k for it,,,,just barely KBB. Being completely sick of the whole proccess, I took the money and bought a Dodge. Well, wouldn't you know it, last week i got a call from Toyota Corp advising me that my '01 was now included in there buy back program and that they were sending me an additional check of $6k and change!!!! So, all total Toyota has now paid me just over $19k for my loved Taco. Had they initiated the full 150% KBB in the beginning we would still be driving a Toyota. However, they took a bit too long to make the right decision. I took the money and ran. I hope in the future Toyota pays more attention to the details. For you that had cases close last year for the '01 Taco's you might be in for a delightful surprise.
  • bigbebigbe Member Posts: 17
    I also had a 2001 toyota tacoma and got $13k I turned around and bought a 2008 toyota fj Hope i get another check
    Can you tell me when your case started? Where are you located? We had a 2001 looked at in Oct. 2008 and have been given the run around ever since. The dealer and reps said the buyback ended in Dec but we never received any notice or call and we have been in contact with the dealer every week. We are meeting with a Toyota rep in 2 to 4 weeks and have been told over and over there are no more buybacks and the (frame replacement or trade in your vehicle) are the only options and want all the ammo we can get. Thanks
  • pataco01pataco01 Member Posts: 14
    Well, got my truck back on Thursday 2/26 after the dealership had it for 2 months. Everything seems fine so far except they forgot to top off my power steering pump but I did when I heard it whining. My frame kit consisted of frame, rear leafs, lower control arms, brake lines, E-brake cable, and all the nuts and bolts. While they had it I had them change the clutch, timing belt, water pump, and they cut the flywheel. My final tab was $964. The labor was next to nothing and I priced the parts before I told them what I wanted so they couldn't rip me off. So, so far so good. I'll just have to wait and see how it works out.
    keep an eye out for electrical mishaps and intermittent issues.
  • JRB2002JRB2002 Member Posts: 2
    While I cannot take credit for finding this info (found it through another forum), there is some interesting information on the NHTSA site regarding Toyota's campaign for 01-04 Tacomas. If you do a search under Service Bulletings at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/tsbs/ and drill down to 2001 Tacoma Structure: Frame and Members, you should find a PDF to download. The TSB is TCS=08-018. The PDF appears to be a sample of an official communication from Toyota Motor Corp about the rust perforation problem and indicates a possible buy-back of 1.5x Blue Book for 01-04 Tacomas. The PDF is CSC-10027968-5540. This might be some valuable "ammo" for us who are having problems with Toyota and not getting any response or very poor service on our problems.
  • divwiddivwid Member Posts: 10
    Dear Sir--I had a 2000 Tacoma with 96,000 kms. here in S. Ont. just west of London, ON. Last summer it failed inspection. Toyota paid me 19,000--the same amount I had paid 5 years previous. Not worth the insurance issues if I had an accident with a "failed" truck. Sure miss my truck, but glad to be rid of the whole situation. Toyota paid for a car rental for one month while I shopped for a new vehicle. A 2009 Corolla---hmmmm, fancy that. A little salesmanship going on here?? Nevertheless, Toyota paid generously, I feel and I sold off the tires before dropping off truck for the last time. Glad to rid of the whole mess. Still feel that I would buy Toyota, but not the Tacoma until this situation is resolved.
    Hi divwid, thanks for the advice. Toyota really needs to address this problem not just now but right at the time of manufacturing. They must know that a large percentage of their trucks/vehicles run in the northern areas where salt is applied to the roads. There is no reason why these frames are made from steel that is so suseptable to rusting or that a proper treatment was not applied at this time. This is not an accident but a deliberate engineering flaw. Very sad. Anyone out there that have had their frames replaced I highly recommend that you treat your new frames with somekind of rust proofing anually. Up here we have RustCheck or Krown Rust Proofing. Very effective and should help your new frames survive in the coming years.
    PS- sorry for the spelling mistakes, I should have proof read or spell checked.
  • Sambone5769Sambone5769 Member Posts: 19
    Gentlemen -
    I have not written in a while because I wanted to really get a feel for things, but I have been driving my '01 Tacoma with the new frame, etc. for three weeks now.
    No complaints. Handles better than when I bought it in 2003 and I have done my best to beat the hell out of it too to put Toyota's work to the test.
    Buyback wasn't an option for me, as with most of you I'm sure, but it's better than nothing and we all know that the "big three" would have told us to kiss their [non-permissible content removed].
    Anyway, if there are specific questions I can answer, let me know.
    Hi and congrats on your successful swap. I have a 1983 Toyota sr5 that I still drive. I have rustproofed it regularly and for the most part have kept rust at bay. I am looking to buy a 2001 Tacoma Double Cab with 57000 mi. The frame pasted inspection but I am sure it will need a replacement sometime in the near future. It is comforting to hear you are satisfied with the work done. Anyway, do you know if the steel in these frames is any better than the original frame steel. Has it been treated for rust prior to installation? Thanks for you time.
  • HOBPHOBP Member Posts: 7
    Hello all! -- Have been out of town, but now post "The News"

Ref my post of Feb 09 - believe I may be the first one here to get my Taco back w/ the replacement frame. On Feb 10 I stopped by the dealer to ask a few questions re the replacement - Svc Mgr said "it's apart - want to see it?"

There was my Taco - in pieces/chunks/components up/down etc. Frame was across the service area - naked (covered w/ a lovely light golden rust color!). At that point they were waiting for the replacement kit. Well, they must have gotten it in the next day, because they called my on Feb 13 to tell me it was done!. Only problem was they couldn't align the front wheels due tie rods ends "frozen" and they couldn't free them up. I argued why this not included in the work order (if frame hadn't needed replacemernt I wouldn't be facing that problem), but they were adament that it was not part of the deal. So I had to spring for new - cost $410 w/ labor - which labor I believe should have been included in the process - but will take that up w/ Toyota.

Picked it up on Feb 14. They did a nice job - truck feels/runs like new, no rattles/squeaks. Only thing I noticed was that front and rear body sections are very slightly misaligned - gap between them maybe 1/4" larger on one side than the other. No big deal - shouldn't affect aerodynamics at 70 mph.