Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma 2004 and Earlier Frame Problem

Comments

• silver01tacosilver01taco Member Posts: 4
    My 01' Taco's frame comes today and I was told I should have the truck back by the end of next week. I'm glad to hear from the folks on here that they have had no major issues thus far with their replacements as I am going through it right now. Rust inhibitor will be the next step -but my question is this - If we are getting new frames due to the old ones rotting out why doesn't Toyota or (DANA -the manufacturer) put rust inhibitor/preventative on/in them prior to the swap to help prevent future issues? Just an idea for Toyota I guess - just makes good common sense to me.
  • mcalauttmcalautt Member Posts: 67
    in theory they are suppose to apply the protection during the manufacturing process.
    usually what they do is negatively or positively charge the frames and then do the opposite to the inhibitor as they dip the frames.
    Not sure why they are telling you they are going to do it after the install.
    that does not sound good to me, sounds like they are going to undercoat it which is a friggin mess and doesnt protect anything.
  • doubleusndoubleusn Member Posts: 20
    Hi

I am also glad to hear replacements are going well. I ended up opting out of it as my circumstances did not allow for it to be an option to me.

I am glad to hear that things are going well for folks and now that frames are avail things seem to be speeding up. Many folks had been waiting a long time for frames, and my 02 was deemed bad before there even was a letter to send out.

Question to All: Does anybody know what product they are using to spray under the ones that are rusty, but are not considered a failure.

Question to All 2: Do we know if the 2005-200x model run corectd the problem?

My understanding was it is a rust from lack of protection spray problem, but also a design flaw in the frame so that moisture does no drain properly.

Thoughts?

Thanks
    -wsn
  • Sambone5769Sambone5769 Member Posts: 19
    Not sure about what undercoating they are talking about applying. I was told the NEW frames they were manufacturing have a different rust protection, specifically having the rust preventative baked on as opposed to just sprayed on.
    I can't fathom why they would tell you they are putting an undercoating on (which doesn't do anything except increase the problem) other than to make you feel better.
    I'm curious how the 2005 and up frames are holding up... unless they have addressed the problem, we'll probably be hearing about this in a year or two.
    Hi

Thanks for the reply

It was my understanding is that frames that were not rusted (not being replaced) out per se were getting something applied to them instead, under this program, to reduce the risk going fwd. I was wondering what product they were using for this.

I was in a situation where 'waiting' for a frame and using my truck 'after a frame swap' was not an option for me.

I argued with corp for many many weeks, and ended up working out a 'fair' deal with my dealer.

This fair deal now includes me having an 09 TRD OF. I am just trying to gather info on the 2005+ frames, etc under the guise of preventing anything on the 09 now vs later.

Thanks again for the email.

Cheers
    -wsn
  • rachelfrachelf Member Posts: 12
    The new frame has a 15 yr. rust warranty on it.....the way i see it, the new frame will out last almost every truck body it is put under.........
    PS mine has been back for 2 weeks and is doing fine- i plan on watching how my tires wear .........
  • mags6mags6 Member Posts: 13
    Hello!

Just wondering - the 2001 Tacoma Double Cab I am looking to purchase has had its frame tested and it passed even though it is VERY rusty. It was sprayed with some black tar like inhibitor. Do I have more than one shot at being tested? I am assuming I would have 6 more years before the warranty ends and still have the option of frame replacement if it rusts through. Would anyone know for sure.

Thanks again.
    Hi

I'm not sure I follow.

You can see it is very rusty, yet it is also sprayed?

Are you saying it's sprayed, but maybe not 100%?

If 100%, what part is rusty?

Cheers
    -wsn
    Hi, and thanks for the reply, I will try to be more clear.

The truck that I am looking at passed the frame test even thought it is really rusty. The outside of the frame was sprayed but not the inside. The rear leaf springs, gas tank guard and the "inside of the frame" were not sprayed. It shows just how rusted, and I mean RUSTED this frame/and parts really are. It was rusted enough that Toyota Corp. took it and punch tested it to see how bad it was. Because the inside of the frame is so rusted I think it is just a matter of time before it is perforated as the rust eats through the metal. The rest of the body panel though are excellent.

Thanks again.
    Hi

Thanks for the update.

In my eyes, and in my own opinion, I see this as a three question/step process.

1) Location - Where do you live? Does it snow? Is there salt? Where did the truck live before?

2) After reading this whole thread how do you feel about having a frame replacement? (maybe)

3) What is you own peronal opinion of how well a replacement will hold up over time and the hassle (time is money) you 'may' have to give up in the future if #2 comes true. 'If' other things start failing early as a result of the complete disassembly from the frame replacement. (only the frame itself is covered is my understanding)

It may be the best replacement program in the world, it may not be.I had an 02 Dbl Cab with the problem (hole in frame) and I chose to opt out.

If it was 'me' ,without being forced, I would hesitate.

Just my .02, FWIW.

Cheers
    -wsn
  • dvuolodvuolo Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2001 extra cab 4x4 tacoma with 137,000 miles. Wondering how much rust holes toyota is looking for in order to replace or buy back. I havent really inspected the frame to well, but just getting underneath to do oil changes, have notice a few holes big enough to stick three fingers in.
  • silver01tacosilver01taco Member Posts: 4
    Sounds like you have more than enough rust and perforation to fail the "punch test" to get a frame replacement. My 01' Taco had a hole about 4"wide by 1 1/2" high and it failed easily. I just stopped by today at the dealership to see the progress. Let me tell you it's an odd experience to see your motor and rear differential on a new frame, but your cab, bed, and all other parts scattered across the floor of the dealer's shop bays. Looking forward to getting it back at the end of next week. So far so good.
    Hi, take your truck to your nearest Toyota dealer and show them the holes. Any perforation of the frame makes you eligable for a frame replacement. I don't believe they are doing the buy back but try it if you want to. It appears some people have succeeded with it.
  • lostmytacolostmytaco Member Posts: 4
    wish the would have put new frame under my tacoma it was a 97 with 64,000 miles and mint body.The 12,000 i got just didn't make me happy.I still feel that i got screwed
  • Red01TacomaRed01Tacoma Member Posts: 9
    I dropped my 01 tacoma off at the dealership today with 130,000 miles. They had the frame all set up and ready to go. I'm going to stop over in the morning to take a look. I am having a new exhaust and shocks put on while its taken apart. Does anyone have any suggestions on other items I should have replace while the truck is disassembled? Water pump, oil pump, timing belt?
  • jjbillingsjjbillings Member Posts: 4
    If it's a v6, do the timing belt, water pump, and the timing belt tensioner. Maybe do the accesory belts too. No need to touch the oil pump. If it's a standard, it would be a good time to do the clutch. However now your repair bill will be getting up there. Good luck.
  • RustyTaco2005RustyTaco2005 Member Posts: 3
    Just wanted to give you a head's up that the 2005 tacomas are showing problems with frame rust.

There are two vehicles at the dealership where I bought my taco that have frame rust. My taco was 2 years old when rust started on the frame. It got so bad that the dealership stripped the frame, painted and rust proofed. Two weeks later the rust was back worse than ever. The dealership recently took it in again, stripped the frame and applied a chemical treatment. I was told that this would work. I seriously have my doubts considering that Toyota Canada won't extend my rust-perforation warranty like it's doing with the 2001-2004s. If anyone has had this treatment applied to their truck, please let me know. Thanks.
    Hello, I think I know how you must feel. You can get attached to these things which can make it more than just a ride. If its your "baby" and you take real good care of them it does seem like a waste to just trash them. Price does seem OK though.
  • stockslayersstockslayers Member Posts: 1
    Just wondering if anyone could give some info on what Toyota will do with a 2001 Tacoma that has been re-built. Will they still replace the frame? I can see that their is definitely a rust problem. Any other info would be great....
    thanks
    Hello. see item #770 in this forum. Good Luck.
  • pataco01pataco01 Member Posts: 14
    Got my '01 back on 2/26. Everything is fine so far. My Dad's a mechanic and I consider myself a decent wrencher so I've gone over it pretty good. My truck has 161,000 on it so I had them replace the timing belt, clutch, press. plates-etc,and the water pump and they also had the flywheel cut. I had previously done plugs, wires, and belts. My total cost was $964.31. Labor cost were: $78 for clutch(1 hr), and $200 for timing belt, water pump($50 of which was the flywheel). I priced the parts before I told them so they didn't rip me off and I'm happy with the labor charges. I could have done this myself but hey, they already had the truck in pieces, saves me some headaches. They even gave me the original clutch back because it was still good. So far soooo good.
  • bulldog16bulldog16 Member Posts: 1
    I have read a lot of the posts, but I confess that I can't make it through them all so my apologies if this has already been covered. Is this frame rust issue pretty much a regional problem, in the northern tier states and Canada where salt is used in winter...or is it more widespread? I have never heard of this problem here in the sunny south until I started doing some research on Tacomas. I'm looking at purchasing an '03 from a used dealer. This truck has spent its life so far in southern Texas, obviously not a snowy region. Would you still have concerns?
    yes this is a problem with all the trucks as far as I know but if your in an area of the country where its mostly dry and you have no road salt then you technically wont have a problem.
  • dvuolodvuolo Member Posts: 2
    I took my tacoma to toyota, the rust on frame was bad enough to have frame replaced. Told them i would like to qualify for buy back. Dealership told me its impossible and toyota wouldnt do a buy back, my truck wasnt safe to drive and if i left with it, that toyota wasnt responsible. So either leave the truck there or i was out of luck.Left truck there for them to fix. Its been there for two days sitting outside. I called toyota corp. and they said if the damage was bad enough that i could qualify for a buy back. Isnt a frame replacement enough damage? So they are assigning me a case manager. I need to call dealership in morning and tell them not to touch truck untill this is cleared up.Should have the dealership assigned me a case manager when i asked to be bought out?
  • vtjlgvtjlg Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Tacoma x-cab w/170,000+ miles. Did you all get letters about this "service" or have you called your dealers directly. I was under the impression that Toyota was going to notify us and I would need the letter to schedule an appointment. I keep shelling out $$ here and there to keep my taco on the road. I replaced cab mounts and need to address the brackets holding my tie-rod. If they're going to change the frame anyway, maybe I can save a little money on all these (relatively) minor things.
    I noticed a 6 inch hole in the side of the frame and just took it in. It should be ready next Thursday. The dealership should by now be aware of everything. Good luck.
  • bubblepuppybubblepuppy Member Posts: 3
    Are there ANY good Tacomas within the years 1996-2004 out there, or are they ALL suspect? I still see plenty of this vintage for sale at dealer lots. I wonder how many of THOSE show signs of frame decomposition? I also wonder if I asked the sales folks permission to whack the frame with a hammer, if they'd let me? (hehehe).

I am in the market for a Tacoma sized truck from this era (price-driven), and honestly can't think of any other make/model/style that I'd rather own. So my question is this...what are the odds of finding a Taco of this vintage that will last as long as it should?

Also, if these trucks are so bad (Not to doubt ANYTHING I have read here), how come all the automotive reviews websites (including Consumer Reports, MSN autos, etc), STILL rate the used Tacomas as excellent vehicles to buy? NOT ONE MENTION on Consumer Reports of any frame problems? Also, almost all the personal reviewers RAVE about this vehicle. Don't believe me, see for yourselves. Am I delusional, or could it be that you folks are the "vocal minority"?

I'd be curious to know how many folks here know of people who have NO ISSUES with their Tacos' frames, especially up north in snowy climates?

I guess I'd like one kinda badly, and need to be talked out of buying one. Of course, I'd have my mechanic inspect it first.

Thanks

PS: I am truly sorry for those who've been BONED by Toyota. Some of your stories are almost heartbreaking.
    from what I understood, they are all affected.
    but if they are not in a high salt area then they prob wont have a frame issue.
    other than the frame having a problem with corrosion protection, the truck is rock solid.( no pun)
    I loved my truck and it was typical toyota quality.
    I assume that CR and others rave about it because they have not and may never experience this frame issue depending on where they live.
  • mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    I have a 95 Tacoma, live in Wisconsin where alot of salt is used, and so far the frame looks good. Just a few small areas where the paint wore off and a little surface rust started. Granted, I only have 110k miles on mine, but have been using it as a winter driver for most of it's life.

The sales brochure for the 95 and 1/2 states: Tacoma's tough anti-corrosive steel frame resists rusting. That's one of the reasons I bought the truck. Sounds like something changed in the years following the first year?

Mrbill
    Mrbill ,

Was your VIN within the "Extended Warranty" range? Have you had your dealer give it "the inspection"? Have you taken any extraordinary protective measures under carriage? Are you the original owner?

thanks for the post...maybe I'll hafta aim for a 1995.0 or older. Guess I'd get "more truck" for the $$ that way.

thanks for posting.
  • jjbillingsjjbillings Member Posts: 4
    I think all frames are suspect. However my father has an 02 with 170,000 miles, frame is still good. I also have friends with 03's and 04's with various amounts of miles. Also good frames. My 01 is bad, 180,000. I even tried to keep my truck clean underneath. We all live in Mass.

I love my truck, and even with all this pain and suffering, wouldn't buy anything else. I
  • mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    My 95 is under the extended warranty, I got the notice in the mail. I haven't formally had my truck inspected by the dealer, I have a friend that works for Toyota, he informally verified it's good. I figure I'll bring it in just before the extended warranty runs out.

I purchased the truck new, and did have it undercoated. Although it may have helped with the outside of the frame from rusting, I don't think they did any spraying on the inside of the "box" of the frame, and other posts stated the rust is bad on the inside and outside the frame. I poked around myself in just about every hole I could reach into and did not find any scale. There must be some truth in the statement from Toyota that not all frames are prone to the problem.

Kind of ironic for me, I wouldn't mind replacing my truck, but would rather get the 1.5x the KBB value for a rusted frame.

BTW, mine is a 4x2, I wonder if the frame is different on a 4x4? The posts usually don't state if there truck is a 4x2 or 4x4.

Mrbill
    Hello. Has everyone who has had the frame swap satisfied with the results? Was there any misc. damage done during this process like dings and dents or scratches? I read somewhere they can do this in has little as 12 hours-wow. Please, some more remarks on the finished project would be appreciated. Thanks again.
  • linni57linni57 Member Posts: 4
    My daughter just had her 95 tacoma bought back. On her first free inspection, her vehicle passed. Approximately 8 months later she had a cab mount go. The people who originally inspected it, told her she could weld a new cab mount to the frame and were kind enough to price a cab mount for her. That would have voided her recall, as welding would have weakened the frame. She had gone in to get another inspection done before doing any work to it, which they refused to do. I had her call the dealer where I bought my 04 for Toyota's headquarters tel. #., and we also made an appt. for this dealer to reinspect the frame. They were willing to do it on a Saturday so she would not loose another day of work. Headquarters did contact the 1st dealer about this and they did call back offering to look at her vehicle. But having already made the appt. at the second dealer, we went there.
    It was about a 3 hour drive from where we lived, but the 1st dealers reputation is not very good and we did not want to deal with them at that point. Her second inspection showed a hole in the frame, and both of her cab mounts were gone.
    She also lost her brakes on the way over. When the rep. who met her asked, he could not believe they jepordized her life that way. All I can say is know your dealer
    & check out their reputation before going to see them.
    I own a 2004 Tacoma and have not been notified by Toyota about this. I am having some work done today and asked my mechanic while he was underneath it to look it over for me. My mechanic is the one who told us about it when we stopped in to make an appt. to have some work done.
    From the time my daughter turned in her '95 tacoma, to when she recieved her check was about 4 weeks. Toyota extended her rental until she was able to find another vehicle she could afford after paying off her '95 toyota, which was just a couple of weeks ago. They are still dealing with older models too.
    I live in Vermont which is a high salt area. I own an '04 Tacoma which I purchased new. Right now I am having some maintenance work done to it and asked my mechanic to check the frame out for me. He Informed me of the recall. I have not recieved anything from Toyota on this. I will let you know how I make out.
    thats because somehow toyota avoided having this classified as a recall.
    no idea how that is possible since recalls are due to safety concerns.
    maybe because the frame problem was never reported as an event that cause anyone harm and or death.
  • rodnhrodnh Member Posts: 10
    @mags6

I had the frame replaced on my '02 Tacoma last month. I am very pleased with the result. No problems at all. Here is a list of the parts that were covered under the extended warranty:

I had a hole in the top of my muffler and I had the dealer replace that at the same time. My only cost for that was the material cost. I am told that this muffler is warranted for as long as I own the vehicle - free replacement by Toyota if I ever needed to.

I had a rental car for the entire week. It takes all of one week. Mine went in on Monday morning and I picked it back up late that Friday. Toyota indicates that the job involves 60 manhours of labor. I was able to visit the work effort every day and be shown the progress as everything came apart and went back together. The dealer tells me that these frame replacements costs Toyota about $13K each, all told. I believe it.
    Hello, very nice to see you are happy with the job done. Thanks again for your time.
    Thanks for this info.

I've been in the market for a (new-to-me) used truck, and DO NOT LIKE the looks of others in this class (Frontier, Durango, etc). Keep getting drawn back to the idea of a Tacoma. Among other things, for the size, it seems the Taco gets the best gas mileage. I've see plenty advertised, and wonder how many have had their frames replaced...NONE OF THE ADS I SEE neither mention the possibility of frame problems, nor state that the frame's been already replaced. You would think that the supply of available trucks would, at this point, include a certain quantity that have had the frame replaced already. Kinda wonder about the new frame's corrosion treatment too, and issues CAUSED by de-constructing / re-constructing a truck.

I would think that an '01-'04 truck with a new frame COULD BE a decent driver, OR could have lots of issues. I also would like to hear from others who've been DOWN THAT ROAD (pun intended!) :) .
    exactly what you said..
    "'01-'04 truck with a new frame COULD BE a decent driver, OR could have lots of issues."

there is no way of knowing until you own it and drove it for a little while.
    its hit or miss and I dont think its worth the chance, however,
    tacoma's are the best truck aside from the frame problem.
    also, toyota is now claiming 01 to 04 but prior to that magically it only involved 95 to 00. so I would not be surpised if it extends to 06 later down the road.
    Only reason they have not mentioned that is because I think they are still to new to see a problem yet.
  • grammydgrammyd Member Posts: 6
    I had my 2001 Tacoma inspected today(canada). Technician said the frame was clean, "no holes yet" he said. They did not charge me for the inspection.

Grammy
  • grampopswtchgrampopswtch Member Posts: 1
    We got a letter from Toyota saying that we needed to have a dealer inspect the frame of our vehicle for rust. We did and were told that the frame had soft spots and that it would go (fall apart??) within a year. The dealer said that Toyota would replace the frame.

We were shocked. The frame is the single largest and most important structural part of the truck. The entire vehicle has to be disassambled and reassembled. Quite frankly, the truck will never be the same. There is a serious safety issue if we don't get the new frame and potential serious safety issues if they get it wrong.

We have spoken directly with Toyota only to be fed the "party line."
    We want Toyota to buy back the truck just as they did for thousands of 1995 - 2000 owners this past year. This is the same vehicle and there is no way we owners of 2001 -2005 Tacomas should be treated as second-class citizens.

What can we do to push Toyota to buy ours (and others). Anyone with ideas please let us know.

A friend went by a local dealer in Litchfield, CT the other day and say a tractor trailer load of frames being unloaded. I can't believe Tacoma owners are buying off on this.

Help?

David
    I don’t think owners are necessarily buying off on the frame replacement.
    it’s more like Toyota is not giving you a choice.
    Look at my previous posts and you will see I agree 100%.
    replacing the frame is not the answer but apparently Toyota seems to think it’s cheaper for them.
    When you call corp you do in fact get a cute pre-recorded message about how they care about their customers involved in the frame problem.
    At the same time they also act as if they are hero;s for acknowledging the problem and providing a solution as if they didnt have to but are because they care.

I had a 2001 and managed to get in on the buyback before the frame replacment
    "program" was initiated.
    the only option I think you have is to get it replaced and then get rid of it.
    however that is not fair because you wont get as much on a trade or private sale as the people got back from the buy back program.

I still dont understand how toyota got away with this not being a recall.
  • chuckieboy20chuckieboy20 Member Posts: 4
    i have a 96 tacoma when havin it inspected if fail. few days later i got a call tellin me how they buy them back at 150% book sound good huh, then the guy goes on to tell me that becuz my 28 years old son who live in my house sold his 2000 model tacoma back, that they can only give myself 2900 which is around 1/3 of that it should be for my. becuz both are from the same household. have contacted toyota and still waitin on answers, have anyone beside me ran into this deal, and does toyota only sell 1 auto to a house hold
    When I first found out that Toyota wanted to replace my frame I was upset. I fought Toyota. I called them multiple times, my service reps name was Kevin, and as I have seen on some of your posts, you think as much as him as I did.

I posted on Edmunds, Tacoma World and several other sights expressing my opinions that I wasn't happy, I was worried about the major repairs and problems down the road.

In the process I also learned why Toyota was replacing frames and not buying them back for those who don't know the story. Dana Corporation was the company that actually made the defective frames. They didn't use the right mixture in the steel thus they rot, not rust, in the salt belt. Toyota isn't footing all the bill for these re-builds. Dana is making the frames for Toyota, so don't think it's Toyota that is picking up the entire price for the rebuild. Its more 50/50.

Since I live in NE Ohio, my Tacoma has had 8 years of healthy salt which led to a 6 inch hole in the side of the frame. I was mad, I was upset that Toyota was ignoring all of us that were complaining, but I don't have the time or the energy to keep fighting, so I gave in.

To make it worse, my Tacoma was the first to go under the knife at my dealership. As poorly as Kevin and Headquarters treated you when you spoke to them, I found just the opposite from the dealership. The Service Manager was really great, nice, knowledgable and walked me through the process.

The day I took my truck in, they had already had the frame all assembled and fully ready to start the process. During the week they had the truck I had new shocks, tailpipe and two sensors changed out. Most of us bought a Tacoma because they are great looking trucks and we all expect them to last even with a little abuse. I have 134k miles on the truck and really expect it to last me (and my kids who will be driving in 3 years) 8+ more years.

The truck rides like new, seems to sit alittle higher with the new shocks and springs. I am even considering a new paint job to touch up some of the chips and scrapes it's picked up over the years. There wasn't any rust on the truck except for the frame. When they took the truck apart, it was suprisingly clean under the bed and body. I haven't had any squeeks, electrical problems or anything else I can speak to. Its been good for me.

For those that are fighting, good luck. I hope you can get the 150%, I know I wasn't able to convince Toyota to give it to me. If you like your truck but are concerned, don't trade it in, get the frame re-build done. I hope you have as good as experience as I had.

I've had it back now 2 weeks. I have to admit that I am glad I had it done. The truck runs as well as it did when I bought it. As upset as I was at Toyota Headquarters you really have to ask yourself... really would any other car maker do this? Though its Dana footing the bill, I have a new 8 year old truck.
    Can someone give some insight on the fuel economy of a 2001 Tacoma DblCab with a 3.4 automatic. Are they gas guzzlers?? I feel 15 mpg city and 18 hwy are "> not great mileage figures. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.
  • chuckieboy20chuckieboy20 Member Posts: 4
    have any 1 household have over 1 tacoma bought back at 150% of kbb my son 2000 was bought back, i have a 96 was inspected and fail due rust n rot on frame then i got a call tellin me they pay 150% bkk . then they go on to inform me that becuz they bought my son,s 2000 tacoma that i could only get 2900 . 1/3 of kbb anyone having luck beside me
  • phil77phil77 Member Posts: 1
    I am in the market for a 2000-2008 Tacoma. What year was the frame problem corrected at the factory? Is the dealer frame replacement for these model years still available at no cost, or are there other solutions available?