Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma 2004 and Earlier Frame Problem

Comments

• radiblastradiblast Member Posts: 2
    My 2005 Tacoma double-cab is covered in rust. It looks like the rust problem is NOT limited to older models. Is this a widespread problem?
  • vtjlgvtjlg Member Posts: 2
    I just got the call that my truck is finished. I will pick it up with its new frame tomorrow. I live in Vermont and my 2001 has seen every winter since it left the lot. I had a 1996 previously and loved it so much I bought this one. This truck has nickel/dimed me to death. I have done thousands of dollars in repairs over the last few years.
    If I were in the market for another truck, Toyota would no longer be a slam-dunk. I would certainly consider another Tacoma but I'd shop around. I had a Mazda with 200,000 miles before my 1996 Tacoma. My first pickup was a Datsun (nissan) the original little truck and I put 160,000 miles on that. All I'm saying is, the rock-solid reputation has taken a beating with this truck, even ignoring the frame problem.
    I think the buy-back is less profitable for Toyota because the customer can take their money anywhere they want and they don't all buy another Toyota.
    This repair thing does a couple of things including, keeping the Toyota factories running, keeping dealerships strong and keeping Toyota lots full of cars. Drive by most car dealerships and their inventory is shrinking, but the Toyota lots are full. Their dealers can keep their good mechanics busy rather than lay them off and when/if the recession turns around Toyota delerships will be strong and ready to sell cars.
    As for the frame replacement complaints, I can only ask what level of support you whiners think you would be getting from any other car company. If there were a formal recall, you would be getting exactly this, a frame replacement, or maybe a welded patch.
    As for the note that having cab mounts replaced would void the frame warranty, not so. I did my cab mounts about a year ago, at a cost of about $500.
    I have replaced many leaf springs as well. The dealership I took my truck to was very supportive. They did recommend an additional; $4950 worth of work that I "should do" while they were in there. (I did abot $390 worth).
    The Service Manager told me that Toyota owes him $13,000 for the work on my truck and the rental car. Instead of giving that money to me and hoping I'd reinvest in another Toyota, they are keeping all of that money in the Toyota family.
  • pltdadof4pltdadof4 Member Posts: 1
    Hello
    New to this forum. Just bought a 2002 tacoma excab. Saw this discussion and called dealer to see if mine needed to be inspected? Was told that inspection did not apply to my model year. Does anyone have any info or web sites that would have any "official" info?

Thanks in advance
  • mags6mags6 Member Posts: 13
    Hi, if you go to message #736 it will give some helpful info. Toyota trucks from 2001 to 2004 are covered in this ("recall"??) customer support program.
    This particular posting refers to Canadian Toyota owners but the program started in the US. I am positive your 2002 will be included. You will have to have it inspected by a particular date. On this message I believe it is before October, 2010. PS. don't give in and don't take NO for an answer. Good Luck.
  • lcccljlccclj Member Posts: 2
    I have been reading the post or atleast as much as I can and I was wondering if anybody knew for sure are they buying back still or are they doing frame replace now only. Took my daughters 96 toyota in for inspection on mon. and the dealer told me they don't replace frames anymore, was told toyota will contact in 2-3 days but haven't heard from them yet.
  • mcalauttmcalautt Member Posts: 67
    no your truck is definitely involved..
    make them inspect it or even better,
    try to return it if you can.
  • lcccljlccclj Member Posts: 2
    Thanks the truck failed inspection while underneath checking it out I noticed it is going to be quite a job to replace the frame because of everything that is rusted, 224,000 miles on the truck, It will be cheaper for them to buy me out.
  • tacoscrewedtacoscrewed Member Posts: 5
    Just had my 2002 diagnosed with frame rot. It is definitely covered.
    It looks like there isn't an option but to except the replacement. I would like to really fight this.

Toyota and "Kevin" refuse to acknowledge the loss in resale value with the replacement. Their position is that the vehicle is worth more with the replacement than without the frame rot issue, because the older vehicle will now have a new frame. Would anyone buy, regardless of the total miles on the vehicle, a used vehicle with a frame replacement?

Shouldn't we have a right to know how much experience any specific dealership has replacing these frames? Kevin couldn't give me that information. Of course, he must know or have access to that information if he is in "direct contact" with the service manager.

I paid a premium for a vehicle from a manufacturer with reputation for building high quality, durable vehicles with a higher than average resale value. I have just had that premium stolen, I have lost that resale value. Maybe we can all be apart of a settlement someday.

It's really to bad, they built up such a great reputation. I have seen this in other industries. They begin to rely on the reputation and forget what it took to earn that reputation. I don't want to buy a vehicle from a company that will stand by their warranty and repair, I want to buy a vehicle from a company that doesn't need the warranty. That is what I thought I paid for.

If you have had the frame replacement done, how did the replacement go? Are you satisfied with the work? What would you do differently or ask if you had to do it again?
  • mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    Would anyone buy, regardless of the total miles on the vehicle, a used vehicle with a frame replacement?

Since the vehicle wasn't in an accident, Carfax won't show anything about the frame being replaced. After a month or so of driving, I doubt anyone would be able to tell the truck has a new frame or not. Other then the frame looking in good condition, once it gets a little dirty, it won't look any different then other truck frames.

Mrbill
    Interesting..I might do that; "I've had it for 7 years, kept it in a garage every winter". I'll have to look into whether I need to disclose that in MA.

I actually just got it back today. I was told up to 2 weeks, but it only took one. I was told when I dropped it off that I might want to replace the front struts and rear shocks, but it didn't need it.

So far so good, the suspension feels like new. I've only driven it 2 miles so far.
    I dont see how you would have to disclose it.
    its would be no diff then getting a motor replaced under warranty.

no one would ever know a frame was replaced simply by driving the truck unless
    it was not done properly.

you wont get an answer from any dealer or rep as to who has experience because until now no one would.. its unheard of to do this type of job in the auto market.
  • highmiler289highmiler289 Member Posts: 1
    I have 289,000 miles on my 1995 TOYOTA TACOMA TRUCK! I just had my frame checked last week. The dealer said my frame was in great condition! I live in Wisconsin. This truck has been in alot of salt! Im one of the lucky ones. This truck has been the best vehicle Iv ever owned! I and my sons have owned it since new! Im very happy about how TOYOTA took care of this problem! The company I feel is a CLASS ACT! GM, FORD, CHRYSLER should learn from their mistakes!

GOOD LUCK! HIGHMILER289
    I'm not sure how you can be happy about how toyota took care of this problem; you didn't have a problem.

My 2002 Tacoma had 130k miles on it and the frame was a mess. They replaced the frame, but left a lot of parts on the vehicle that are completely caked in rust. Everything on the vehicle will corrode much more quickly due to the frame issue.

I've had it back for 2 weeks. I have a squeeking noise every time the road is a little uneven coming from the front end, sounds like an old box spring. I am going to take it to an independent mechanic first. It may sound unreasonable but I don't trust the delearship.

highmiler289, I paid an extra $5-6k for I truck I expected would end like yours. If I bought a GM I would have paid less and expected what has happened.

This is all about liability, not customer satisfaction. Think about what would happen if someone died after their fram snapped in half at 60+mph.
    EXACTLY!!!!

thats what I have been saying all along.

the prob actually started in 95 according to toyota so highmiler289, your truck may have had a frame prior to the actual problem..

toyota did not handle it well and it is completely a liability issue they are trying to cover and pawning it off to look as if they did it out of concern.
  • kps2kps2 Member Posts: 2
    I have my truck in throught the Wellesely MA Toyota dealership for the frame restoration. I just got a call with recommendations to replace the parking brake cable, control arms, and leaf springs. I haven't dealt with anyone but the dealership and didn't realize how big this was until I just got the call and then went on to google. Do any of you know who/where I call to figure out the disconnect between what you say the frame kit come with vs. what they now want to charge me for?
    You should call the corporate toyota office. I don't have the number off the top of my head, but it's on their web site. After they set you up with a case #, you will eventually talk to a guy named Kevin.

The leaf springs should be included, they were for me.
  • Red01TacomaRed01Tacoma Member Posts: 9
    I had an 01 Tacoma Extended cab and had the frame replaced. My kit INCLUDED the parking brake cables, brake lines, control arms and new leaf springs. Sounds like the Wellesely MA Toyota Dealership is trying to make a little extra money off you. The leaf springs are attatched to the new frame. I would ask them to see the new frame, I bet they are already on it.
  • pokienozepokienoze Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 extended cab. The dealership replaced the frame in March. I was in Iraq when it was done and came home in April. Was anxious to try out my truck. It seemed to run fine and rode like before, however, my battery light stays on and so does the check engine light. Had a new alternator put in and the light still stays on. Truck continues to run fine. Any ideas as to why the light would stay on?
  • toyota_lifertoyota_lifer Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Tacoma in mint condition that just failed an inspection due to rust near the rear spring shackle on the passenger's side. The Toyota dealer offered to replace the frame at a cost of 14,000 to Toyota corporate. I refused and Toyota also refused to buy back my vehicle. I am a loyal Toyota customer, but only if I am treated with the same respect and fairness as other customers who had their vehicle purchased back at 1.5 x suggested retail. I want to remain a loyal customer, we will see if it is a two way street.

Tom
    well they are not offering to buy back any trucks 2001 or newer and I agree that is wrong.
    I lucked out, I had a 2001 and got in the buyback just before they started the frame replacement..
    what I dont understand is, why wouldnt they offer you the 14G then ?
    unless you wanted more but I gave mine up in december 08 and got 16300.00 for it.
    mine was in mint condition and was a loaded SR5.

did they offer you the 14G? i mean thats thickheaded to not offer a buyback if its going to cost 14G to replace the frame. If you can get 14 from them I would take it if I were you.. thats a far better deal than taking a 9 year old truck with a frame swap.
    I've learned alot about this entire process as I went through the same thing you are going through.

I tried every way in the world for them to buy back my truck. I even just wanted them to buy my truck back for the cost of the rebuild and they still refused. But after some investigation it really isn't costing Toyota that much money. The same frames are still being produced by Dana Corp ie Dana rear ends, transmitiions. Dana was the company that made the bad frames so Dana is footing the bill for the new frame and as I understand it may be paying for 1/2 the cost of labor. Toyota is really only footing the bill for 1/2 the total cost. That's why unless your truck has been so totally beat up and is only worth $5 or $6k Toyota isn't going to buy back your truck.

The reason they purchased the 95-00 is because those frames are no longer in production. They don't have the parts, plus the value of those Tacomas are much lower than the 01 - 05.

I am one of the happy owners of a Tacoma with a rebuilt frame. I had mine done at Cain Toyota in Canton Ohio. The service managers is top notch. I went in several times throughout the week to see the trucks progress. I haven't had any problems with mine and I've had it back now for 21/2 months now.

Good luck, I hope you find away to get Toyota to buy back your truck. I know I wasn't able to convince them.
  • toyota_lifertoyota_lifer Member Posts: 2
    No, they did not offer to buy mine back for 14K. And your right, if it costs them 14K to rebuild, why wouldn't they keep a satisfied customer for the same money and less headache. I am not through yet.

Tom
  • majnoonehhmajnoonehh Member Posts: 1
    Hi Tom,

Just wondering what happened with you? I have a 2001 Toy Tac with 64k. I brought it the a MA Toy Dealer and said my only option is to replace the frame and they wont buy it back. I refused there service and call the Toy Customer Care # and they have assinged me a case manager but I have yet to received a call? Any tips as to what I can do or say? I dont feel comfortable with the frame being replaced, who knows what else can go wrong. I'm a single mother and I dont want to put my kids in the truck... Dont know what to do....
  • doubleusndoubleusn Member Posts: 20
    Hi

FWIW: I went thru this nightmare last Dec, before there were even any letters sent out. I had a loaner for ~3 weeks (Tundra DCab) while I looked into my options, as I also wanted the 1.5KBB option.

No dice. I spent a ton of time on the phone with Toy Corp, AG's office, etc. Nobody wanted to budge or get involved.

I did have a good relationship with the truck sales manager (this was Taco #2) and I pitched a fair KBB trade in # (like the truck's frame was not part of the equation), and also an aggressive # on a new truck that the KBB Trade # would be applied to.

They called me back the next day and went for it. In the long run for what the new one cost in this market + plus dealer incentives, and the KBB Trade # being applied to it, it wasn't the worst situation in the world.

It wasn't the 1.5KBB retail, but time is also money and I didn't have the time to wait this one out and again this is before they even had letters out. I was the first frame my dealership did under this campaign. (They didn't even have frames, was gonna be 6 weeks to even get one)

Short version = Maybe a possible outcome for you, if it works for you, and from all my dealings this is really a Toy Corp thing and the dealers are caught in the middle somewhat. Again, if it will work for you (new ride with trade #) maybe throw it at the wall to see if it sticks. I also went this route as while I I wish everybody the best, IMHO a frame replacement will render the truck 'never the same again'.

Good luck
    -wsn

PS: My dealer has my old truck on their used lot now, I wonder if they have to disclose the situation to a prospective buyer?
  • tmiller159tmiller159 Member Posts: 25
    I had my 98 inspected and it failed. The frame rotted through and broke on the way to the dealer!! Good thing it was at night with no traffic! I drove 40mph the rest of the way. Long story short, they bought it back for $13,800. 4x4 SR5 with 140K miles. Body was great. Ran great, needed nothing. I was trying to find a frame to swap into my truck but they were all gone, for good reason I guess. I ended up with a new 2008 4x4 SR5 V6 TRD for a $12K loan! Not bad for a new truck with a $29K sticker!
    I would let them replace the frame. They are good people and want to make it right. 2001-on Tacoma's do not fall under the buy back program. Get it done and quit fighting city hall. It will work and if you find anything wrong afterwards, have them make it right. Let me know how it works out.
    Tom Miller
  • believebelieve Member Posts: 74
    Hi everyone,
    I have a 2000 Tacoma with 215000 miles.......I have yet to check the frame for rust since I just got it from my son.
    my question is this......how long do i have to file a complaint?......I mean, if I have it for another year or so and decide it's time to file a claim and see what I can get towards a new taco..........will i be able to do it then?......is this warranty for the rest of the owners use of vehicle?......thanks in advance!
  • mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    The extended warranty is for 15 years, so basically you have till 2015. The buyback is based off of 1.5 x KBB value in excellent condition but adding or deducting based on mileage.

Mrbill
  • jchumsaejchumsae Member Posts: 1
    I don't know if anyone can answer this question but I figure it wouldn't hurt to ask. I just recently purchased a 2000 Tacoma sr5 trd. I ended up going to buy a few parts the truck needed and was informed about the frame recall. I was told a few different things on the recall like I would have had to have owned the truck for at least 6 months before being eligible is this truck and someone said they weren't paying 150% it was100% if anyone knows if this had changed let me know please.
  • theweasethewease Member Posts: 9
    Tom,

Guess What? I have a 99 Tacoma...just took it in today to Toyota - they said my frame is shot! They said i can drive it, but to expect a letter from teh dealership in a bout 2 weeks. Mine is the V6, 4x4, xtra cab, SR5 with 165,000. I am very interested in how you received $13,800...it seems to me that your KBB x 1.5 would have put you around $10,000. Any reason why? Given how they priced yours, my hope is they offer me between $14K-15K.

Chris Rauber
    Chris:

Keep in mind they do take into account the mileage. Mine was 140,000. I also had a lot of extras on the truck like tow hitch, fender flares, good tires, 10 disk CD changer with AM FM stereo w/CD player in dash, rhino bed liner, bug deflector, and tuxedo cover. Everything worked.
    I am surprised they let you drive it. Mine broke on the way to the dealer to drop it off for the inspection!! Good thing it was late at night and no traffic! I miss that truck even today. With the new one, I worry about chipping the paint taking it into the woods!
  • dlemiredlemire Member Posts: 1
    Hey All,

New to this forum and finding some great info here just by reading. Thanks!

I own a sweet '04 Tacoma in Watertown MA, so after 5 full winters my frame is making a ton of noise. Rust is clearly visible on most of the frame, especially around any/all joints.

I've had issues with my local dealership in doing work on this truck in the past (had a cat converter stolen that needed to be replaced and got jerked around by them and the insurance company) and frankly don't trust 'em.

With that in mind, what is the best way for me to initiate the process to figure out if Toyota will cover a frame replace/buy-back? Should I start with Toyota Corp. or am I pidgeon-holed into having to call the dealership?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Doug
  • darcsounddarcsound Member Posts: 2
    Similar situation to post above from Mass, I'm here in Maine...just bought a used '03 4x4 Xcab 4cyl auto SR5 with only 18k on it, from VT, after selling my '93 Toyota which had the cancer starting on body... I knew about the 95-00 recall but had NO IDEA that 01-04's were next with problems. Guess I fell for the 18k on engine, Toyota reputation, and otherwise mint appearance of this truck. Wish I had read this thread before, my bad...

I can see rust in lots of places, can flake and peel off in lots of areas, gas tank, hangars, brake drums, lots of blotchy patches, other misc bolts, etc... can't find a hole and doubt there is one, but haven't checked out every inch. It just looks / feels rusty, I mean almost as rusty as the underside of my 93! which had OK frame but coated with surface rust. OK, not that bad, but . So, a couple questions, appreciate thoughts from anyone who has gone futher down the road I'm about to travel...

1. Dealer #1 said it passed. Can I go to another dealer now and ask for more vigorous inspection? Is there limit to how many dealers / # of inspections in given time period?

2. What are pros / cons to having frame replaced? Is truck like new or are there potential issues to worry about down the line - like the rusty brake parts, gas tank, etc?

3. Maine dealer #1 said I'd be on list to spray the frame. Anyone have this done yet? do they scrape all rust off first, including inside frame?

Thanks for any thoughts. Trying to decide whether to commit to Toyota and accessorize (Fisher plow, cap, bedliner, etc...) or punt on this 2003, and wonder what other owners are feeling. Or fearing...

Darryl
  • oho71oho71 Member Posts: 2
    I've got a 99 Tacoma that is beginning to show more rust on the frame. Brought it in yesterday to pinpoint an oil pan leak and had them check the frame again (was checked last year and passed). Before I spend $600 on a new oil pan: I am told this is just surface rust and that the frame is fine. There is quite a bit of loose rust--the large pastry flakes people are mentioning-- inside the frame which I can pull out. I do not want to start dumping money into a truck that isn't going to last. Here are two photos of my frame: http://www.flickr.com/photos/40274012@N03/

Is this completely different from the holes in the frame? Think it will last a few more years? The local dealership was not handing out advice this week.
  • rcoolercoole Member Posts: 10
    My 2000 Tacoma failed last July. Yours looks alot like mine did. Mine passed inspection in May of 08 but during an oil change in July 08 at another dealership they discovered a hole in front of the left rear leaf spring hanger (about an inch from the front of the hanger). It was about the diameter of a pencil eraser. It would have been very easy to overlook. I thought it was a weep hole for water, but there was a weep hole close to it and they were different. My truck had 39,000 miles on it. Just look closely for any diameter hole. Good luck!
  • tcincytcincy Member Posts: 28
    I had a 1999 Tacoma which "failed" the rust test in August, 2008, (even though very little rust was obvious), so I was able to sell it back at a great price.
    My brother has a 1998 Tacoma. After my buyback, he had his inspected in
    in October, 2008. The dealer told him it did not qualify, but since Toyota is extending the frame warranty to 15 years, he can bring it back, once a year, until 2013, and get it inspected, and further rust may qualify for buyback.
    If Toyota is extending all frame rust warranties to 15 years, it seems they should buy it back anytime during the 15 years. i would pin them down on the frame rust warranty, how long it is good for on any given model year, and what the options will be.
    Darryl,

Who told you the 01-04s are now of concern? Thisis the first i have heard of this. This forum has been dealing with '95-00 years...

Chris
    The tell tale sign is when you get holes completely through the frame right behind the sway bar mounts, and on the frame around the forward leaf spring mounts. When those develop, the frame is near collapse (cracking) at the arches over the rear axle. Mine broke there on the way to the dealer for inspection on the driver's side. Your pictures do not look too bad but the rust is well on it's way. Probably develop holes in a year or two if you drive in areas where road salt is used in winter.
  • darcsounddarcsound Member Posts: 2
    Chris - Bangor Maine dealership told me, all I knew about was 95-00 as well. There are other messages in this thread referring to 01-04's, that's what led me to post. Also thread going at tacomaterritory.com forums, in fact just saw reply to my same post there from '03 owner who just got his frame replaced.

Darryl
    Any official issuance by Toyota?

Chris
    I had my 01 Tacoma Frame replaced in March. When it took the truck in for the inspection the dealership didn't know anything about the 01-05's so they contacted Toyota. It seemed to me that they weren't on the same page. The Dealership and I called Toyota and after a few phone calls it all got straightened out. My dealership was Cain Toyota in North Canton Ohio. My truck was the first frame replacement they did but last I talked with him sounded like they had another one scheduled. My Taco has been running fine. Good Luck.
  • wolfiekinswolfiekins Member Posts: 5
    We've owned a '98 Tacoma Xtra Cab 4x4 for over three years now and we love it. Second owners with 84K; interior immaculate, exterior very nice with only a couple tiny blisters on the rear quarters. Starts, runs, drives and performs like a champ.

http://www.edgeradio1067.com/Pads/Padfoot1.JPG
    http://www.edgeradio1067.com/Pads/Padfoot_Speedo.JPG

When I bought the truck, I spent a great deal of time wire brushing/sanding/priming and painting the frame rails/rockers to help protect against the salty NE Ohio winters. Everything looked rock solid then. I received the frame perforation information from Toyota about a year and a half ago and simply filed it away.

I was wire brushing yesterday in preparation for another round of sanding/priming/painting when I pushed the brush through the bottom of the frame rail just behind the tire and cab mount. I couldn't believe it! I found similar perforation to the same area on the passenger rail. Using a penlight, I found what appear to be a number of tiny holes to the rails near the rear suspension mounts and bumper bracket. Incredible!

http://www.edgeradio1067.com/Pads/Padfoot_driver1.JPG
    http://www.edgeradio1067.com/Pads/Padfoot_pass1.JPG

The truck is scheduled in to the local Toyota dealer for and inspection/verification on Monday, 7/20. Based on the existing condition of the frame, and what I've read, it seems very likely they'll deem my '98 to be toast.

To those who've had similar experiences, how long does it take for Toyota to decide to either repair or buy back? Is this an -on-the-spot sort of decision? Would I possibly be required to surrender the truck right then and there?

I understand that the buy back can be rather lucrative, but there are a couple of items (2 month old stereo/speakers and alloys added in August '08) that I would want to remove from the truck before it's consigned to the crusher. Should I remove them prior to the inspection?

I now have concerns about our '04 Tacoma Dbl Cab 4x4 with 95K; the frame is showing a fair amount of scale and some flaking already. Can anyone point me in the direction of any threads concerning '01-'04 Tacoma frame rust?

Thanks much in advance.
    Hey Wolfie...

You will see that i have been posting in the last few weeks about my 99 taco. Look back for story. However, it is not an instant offer. Ya have to wait two weeks after the inspection for an infamous letter offer handled by a third party. For me two weeks is tomorrow, so i am still waiting. I understnad that i must sing the letter and sent it back, and then arrange to have my truck dropped off at the dealership where i pick up the check at the same time.

In terms of the 01-04 tacos, i have had conversations on this forum questioning these dates and if toyota recognizes a problem with these...and i can say..i went to toyota myself and asked the question..and the answer is YES. They have rejected tacos in these years. But i understnad that because they still manufacturer the frames for these years...they replace the frame. For the 95-00 tacos..they do not anymore...which is why you will get an offer to buy back @ 1.5 X kBB.

The Wease
  • mouseboxeomouseboxeo Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking of buying a tacoma that had a the bed swapped with a utility bed. Is this considered under the extended 15 year warranty, or does swapping the bed make the warranty invalid? Thanks
    Thanks for the info, Wease

The Service Manager at the nearest Toyota dealer (Nassief) indicated that it would probably take 2 weeks for an offer letter to be generated. She didn't have much more to offer, other than to say that if the frame perforation is as I describe, our '98 is junk.

I also called Toyota's customer service line, and the fellow (Jason) confirmed the 2 week wait for an offer (to give a field rep time to inspect the truck and crunch numbers). Once I receive the offer letter, I sign/return it, and await a call, at which point I take the title down to the dealer and pick up a check. Jason indicated that the buy-back process can take up to 30 days. So, we'll see.

I'm a little annoyed by the whole process at this point, despite the fact that if Toyota does buy our '98 back, we'll do pretty well. KBB Retail Excellent factors out to be anywhere from $7200 to $7400, so 1.5 times those figures comes out to $10.800 to $11,100. That's cool, but it chaps my [non-permissible content removed] that I spent money on new brakes, a couple lines and new exhaust last year. This spring I nearly spent $800 for a body shop to repair the small rust areas to both rear wheel wells on the bed...

We intended to drive this truck for many years; we'd previously owned a '95 T100 4x4 Xtra Cab V6 for 11 years; we put 198,000 miles on it, and never had a problem. We sold it when the sheet metal rust got way out of hand. I still see it around town.

I don't buy Toyota's crap concerning 'bad metal' and 'inadequate application of corrosion inhibitors' to these '95 to '00 Tacoma frames; total nonsense. To me, it's a clear design flaw: there's either inadequate or non-existent paths for water that enters the boxed to drain out. So when the coating of the interior of the frame begins to flake and falls, it clogs the so-called weep holes and prevents the water/debris from getting out. Things go downhill from there: factor in this mysterious 'bad metal' coupled with road salts, and bingo! Scads of junk trucks.

It's very clear that the frame on our '98 rusted from the inside outward. The bottom surface of the frame rail looked solid, only being held together by the remaining factory coating and layers of paint/undercoat that I'd added over the years. There was at least 3/4" of rusted, decomposed metal and rust debris that fell out of the frame after I punctured the 'skin' of coatings.

Here's a shot of the frame rail just behind the front passenger wheel; note the factory barcode still firmly attached just 6 inches from the failure area, as well a a glimpse of the rust inside the boxed area:

http://www.edgeradio1067.com/Padfoot_barcode.JPG

No surprise that '01 thru '04 Tacomas are showing the same frame issues; the design of the newer frame is essentially the same, although they appear to have added small drain holes to the bottom of the boxed areas. That'll work until something falls off the inside of the frame and clogs it.

Here's our '04 95K miles, which sure as hell looks to be well along the way to becoming premature junk:

http://www.edgeradio1067.com/Moony.JPG

I'd call this excessive corrosion on a 5 year old frame:

http://www.edgeradio1067.com/Moony_frame5.JPG

Note how the weep hole is almost completely clogged. And why is there water on the frame? It rained last night. But the truck wasn't driven in it. Looking at that, I'd say within another year or two, we'll have failure. Total krap, as the rest of the truck is pristine.

More scary stuff from our '04 Double Cab:

http://www.edgeradio1067.com/Moony_frame1.JPG
    http://www.edgeradio1067.com/Moony_frame2.JPG
    http://www.edgeradio1067.com/Moony_frame3.JPG
    http://www.edgeradio1067.com/Moony_frame4.JPG

Nice, innit? When I asked Jason about what to do concerning '01-'04 frame rust, he said not to worry about it, as they've had no issues with those models as the frames were manufactured by a different vendor and hold up as they should.

He changed his tune when I mentioned that I owned an '04 with excessive rust showing on the frame. Jason then indicated that I should have a Toyota dealer inspect it. He indicated that it was normal for metal to rust once exposed to weather, and not to worry. He didn't know if the dealer would be able to "spray" the frame, as that is Toyota's procedure for newer trucks. He also said that if there were any problem areas, that Toyota MIGHT repair them.

He didn't know exactly how a rusty frame might be 'repaired', I asked about the frame replacements I'd read about online, and Jason responded that Toyota wasn't doing that.

Right.

Spraying the exterior of the frame with some undercoating isn't going to protect the inside of the box, especially when corrosion is already present.

Looks like I'll be calling Toyota again.

I always thought it odd that I didn't see many older Tacomas on the road here; now I know why.
    Wolfie,

Good Luck.... I empathize with you feeling burned about the money you put into the vehicle with it only to be taken away...i drive my tacos into the ground too. Luckily this year...before i decided to invest in some minor repairs...brakes..bad leaf spring, fluids, belts, hoses, and plugs, i thought it smart to get the inspection...so i have avoided it.

Chris
    Chris,

Sometimes I 'think smart' too, but not often enough...

Took our truck down to the dealership yesterday for the inspection. Service Manager was really cool about it. The tech guy who performed the inspection said our frame was one of the worst he'd seen. So I'm in a rental for the duration of the process.

We'll do okay in regards to our '98; it was all mostly stock and not tricked out like many were.

I took some photos of our '04's frame with me and showed them to the service manager, who indicated that I should schedule it in for an inspection, but not until after the '98 is disposed of. Her words: "One disaster at a time."

Great.

Hopefully your buyback is progressing...
    The buyback...for me it has been more than 2 weeks, actuallly 2wks, 5 days... and nothing in the mail...this friday will be 3 weeks!

Keep ya posted.

Chris
  • johnny66johnny66 Member Posts: 11
    When did you start the process? We have been at it since Oct 08. They told us in Feb that our only option was a frame swap. They said the buybacks were done in December. Any info would be helpful, We have been waiting three months for a new frame and no calls from the dealership on the progress.
    What year is your taco? If later than a 2000, than you will get frame replaced; if < 2000, you will get buyback....