Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Death of the body-on-frame SUV?

13»

Comments

• thunderchildthunderchild Member Posts: 18
    edited May 2010
    I have 3 vehicles at my disposal. 2k3 Dodge Durango, 2k4 Chevy Tahoe, 2k9 Subaru Outback. I use my Outback to drive to and from work most days due to the fact that it sips fuel. My Durango used to be my daily driver until gas hit $4.00 a gallon. I kept my truck though due to the fact that my wife and I love driving trucks. On the weekends the Outback is in the garage and I am in my Durango for everything. My wife drives the Tahoe as her daily. I do this because I do like the Outback, and it is as small of a vehicle I will ever own. When we go on vacation, we can have nothing less than the hauling capabilities of the trucks. When she is doing her Real Estate she needs the size to carry customers and all her gear. I will have these until they reach 300,000 miles. The Durango is at 165,780 as of this morning. The Tahoe is at 100,000 and the Outback is at 50,000 as of yesterday. I am meticulous about my maintenance. They all run great. When They reach 300,000 I will then assess there future life and if it looks good I am going to push for 500,000. I like body on frame tough, dependable, easy to work on trucks!!!
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Even though we have a Ford Freestyle, for our family of 4, our Honda Fit can handle most of our vacation needs. It can hold 4 big suitcases behind the second row and our kids have plenty of space in the back. I guess for families of six that need to tow a boat I can see the need something big. It cost us $15K for the Fit brand new, so not only our we saving at the pump, but also on the initial purchase. And the reliability of the Fit is among the best.
  • vrmvrm Member Posts: 310
    Need a new thread for the all new 2011 Durango. Thanks.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Here you go:

2011 Dodge Durango
    The graphic pretty much says it all.

15 Emerging Dynamics Defining 2011 (AutoObserver)
    "Redesigned front ends mean that SUVs and pickup trucks pose far less of a deadly risk to people in cars and minivans than before, according to a study released on Wednesday by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

More compatible designs mean that "SUVs aren't the safety concern they once were," the study said."

Redesigned SUVs Mean Crashes Aren't As Deadly, Says IIHS (Inside Line)
  • chadfromftownchadfromftown Member Posts: 18
    And I'm happy the redesign in 2013 (model year 2014) will remain to be body on frame!!!! :D
  • gf2020gf2020 Member Posts: 49
    What vehicle are you referring too?
    A reporter would like to speak to someone who recently bought a used large truck or large SUV. If you have purchased a used large truck or SUV in the past 6 months, and you are willing to discuss your decision with a reporter, please email [email protected] no later than 1 p.m. Pacific/ 4 p.m. Eastern Wednesday, April 18, 2012 with your daytime contact information.