Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura MDX Navigation System Questions

124»

Comments

• cloviskidcloviskid Member Posts: 23
    With the Nav system, Collision Mitigation Braking System, Blind Spot Info System, Hard Drive Stereo System, etc. etc., there is a lot that can go wrong. That is why I purchased the genuine Acura 7-year extended warranty when I purchased my 2010 MDX. Any one of those items, after the regular 4-year warranty expires, could cost as much or more than the extended warranty to fix. Now I know I won't have any big expense for at least the first seven years.

I find the Nav system in the 2010 MDX to be superior to any other Nav system I have experienced. It is a hard drive system, lightning fast routing, and has more features than any I have seen. I can enter address, map coordinates, phone number, intersection, actual map spot, or use the address book to get directions. OR, use voice command and say FIND NEAREST GROCERY STORE (or about 75 other categories) and the list pops up within about two seconds. The map coordinate feature is great for areas not yet on the map. Just find the location on google world, get the map coordinates, and enter the numbers on the MDX Nav screen. Simple. And you have the choice of being routed on ONLY verified roads OR also on unverified roads. Either way, an arrow continually points to the direction of your final location.

I just sold my 2003 Infiniti I-35 which also had a Navigation system. I used the system on a regular basis for all seven plus years I had that car and never had a problem with it.
  • joyincanadajoyincanada Member Posts: 3
    I have an 07 MDX and want to upgrade the GPS. Do I have to go to a site for vehicles in Canada or is it the same site as for the US as well?

I have been directed o many incorrect addresses so I hope the newer version is improved!
    The 2011 map should be available by the end of this month.

I would call an Acura dealer in Canada to find out how to get the latest map software.
  • gsjr57gsjr57 Member Posts: 1
    I try voice activation to make a call and it turns on my defrosters,again I say PHONEBOOK and it turn on the radio ????? What gives ????
    Cannot program Phone numbers into the phone book since my Motorola Razor will not transfer my list. Salesman tells me they have to be entered manually, which I tried without success. HELP, my wife's car and she s driving me nuts.
    You have to be on the PHONE MENU page on the navigation screen. Press the PHONE button on the steering wheel, then press the VOICE button and give the command. I use mine often. But if I forget to press the PHONE button first, I have the same problems you are experiencing.
  • jandscanadajandscanada Member Posts: 11
    I recently purchased the latest update disk for my MDX. I ordered it online through Navteq. Since the update, the voice commands for the climate control will only accept fahrenheit commands and not celsius (as it previously did). The display on the dash for the climate control shows Celsius. When looking at the "help" section for voice commands it shows the commands listed in Fahrenheit. Could there be a different disk for Canadian MDX's versus those in the US? Anyone else come across this problem?
    edited December 2010
    Since I live in the US I didn't have that problem. However, any addresses in my address book that I had entered using a map location instead of an actual address had to be re-entered. Any intersection I had entered still works, but the first letter of both street names is missing. I have notified Navteq and Acura of the problems I found. Acura told me that hadn't received their test disc yet to test it.

WHY do they sell these discs before Acura tests them? PLEASE let Acura know of all the problems you come across so they can correct the disc and have one that works properly next year.
    Did you receive 1 or 2 disks with your order? Do you see Canadian roads on your Nav. screen?

Thanks - James
    One disc, and it includes US plus Canada. My understanding is that now there is only one disc.
    Thanks. I had MDX to the dealership on Wednesday. They feel that there should be one disk for Canadian market MDX and one for USA market MDX. They think I was shipped the wrong one from Navteq. I contacted Navteq. by email yesterday. We will see what they come back with.

My thought is that the Acura engineers "forgot" about the differences between the vehicles in the US and Canadian markets and there isn't a different disk for Canadian customers. I went to the order site via both US Acura site and Canadian Acura site. Both showed the same version disk ( 2011 Green DVD Map Update v8.000.0). I am not holding out for much hope on this.

I'll keep everyone informed.
    - James
    Navteq says that they have only one update disk for the 2010 MDX regardless of the market ( US or Canada). Back to Acura next week !!

Frustrated!!
  • newpilgrimnewpilgrim Member Posts: 1
    Just purchases a 2011 Tech MDX. (up from a 2003) Drives and handles like a dream. Bought some DVD audio CDs and they sound great BUT the HDD can't record them. (or apparently any other multi-channel) Just as the owners manual says on p248. So I have a fantastic sound system and to make full use of the sound quality I have to change the CDs manually, one at a time. Is this nuts or what?
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    edited February 2011
    newpilgrim, the DVD-Audio disks are not CD's and you are right the HDD will only record CD's. Even then when they do record it will be lower quality audio than the original CD, more or less MP3 quality. This of course allows the hard disk to accommodate more music; in fact it will fit thousands of songs.

Well recorded DVD-Audio disks sound many times better than the recorded HDD compressed tracks. The problem of course is finding DVD-A disks of artists that you enjoy listening to, as the format unfortunately has been dropped and the price of many of the best disks has skyrocketed. Fortunately I started to buy them when there was a much larger selection readily available at very affordable prices, way before I purchased my MDX. Too bad the format (just like SACD) never really caught on with the masses. Blu-ray discs have the same audio quality potential as DVD-A but there are very few audio-only blu-rays available and of course automobiles don't play those disks anyway (at least none that I am aware of).

Yes it is too bad you cannot record DVD-Audio disks onto the hard drive (HDD) but even if you could the music would likely be compressed (just like CD's) which would totally defeat the purpose.
    Acura Tech dept. has acknowledged a problem with the discs for Canadian MDX's. They say have seen this problem in some others. They say there isn't anything they can do at this time but will provide me with a new disc when the updates come out next fall.
    Acura Tech shipped me a USB stick that corrected the problem with the Climate control voice commands. I noticed that they pulled the update disc from Navteq site for Canada and it can no longer be ordered here.
    The 2012 update disc will be available in January and I would expect it will be correct this time without all the problems of the 2011 update.
    Keeping my fingers crossed here!
    Can't wait. Thanks for the update.
    I've noticed that the 2012 Navigation update is available for 2010 MDX through Acura USA website but nothing through Acura Canada website. I wonder if we are being left out again.
    I received the US version yesterday. So far it works fine. However, one of the installation instructions was not correct, and they have removed the disc from the US website. I got a phone call from the Corporate office and was told they will try to put an insert in the booklet to make it correct. Should be listed on the website again soon.

Canada should use the same disc as the US. Hopefully they will have the problems worked out they had for the last update.
    Anyone know when the 2012 update was released? I received an offer in the mail where they are discounting it by $50 so I could get one for $99. I was just wondering how out-of-date it is already, before I purchase it.
    It was just released in March 2012.
    I wish I could just buy the newest version for Canada as it so expensive to be doing this every year!
    No joy in Canada? ;)

Thanks, cloviskid, for letting me know. I'm going to go ahead and get it, and will probably do an update every other year. I have a 2010.
  • manicmundymanicmundy Member Posts: 1
    My 2009 Acura MDX Navigation DVD player emits a constant, annoying high-pitched whine that's driving me insane. Unfortunately the vehicle is out of warranty and I'm hoping there is a way to send it to the original manufacturer for repair. I can't determine who made it, though. Has anyone experienced this problem, and is there an OEM repair option?
    Has anyone purchased a Navigation update for their 2010 MDX recently? It seems to appear and disappear from the website for both USA and Canadian spec. MDX's. Last time I checked it says "Our records show that the map that you have in your navigation system is our most recent release." Acura has really dropped the ball on this. I haven't seen an update since the one I did in fall of 2011 and that one was full of glitches.
    I purchased the last update (2012 year update) on March 9, 2012, the day it was released. Acura 2012 Green DVD Update US v8.110.0. However, I found a problem in the instructions and they pulled the item for a few days in order to make the correction. The 2011 version had operating errors; i.e. I lost some of my addresses, etc., and there were problems with those using the system in Canada. I've had absolutely no problems with the 2012 version.

I would expect the next version to appear during the first quarter of 2013.
    Thanks. I'll be checking for the next update on the website.
  • jyde1jyde1 Member Posts: 1
    my acura MDX navigation is not booting and is always requesting for the disk to be checked. what is the problem?
    You didn't supply enough information.

What year MDX do you have? If you have a 2010 MDX, have you tried inserting the navigation dvd in the cd-dvd slot? Have you ever updated your navigation system? Did you buy the MDX new or used?
  • bestprezziebestprezzie Member Posts: 1
    Hubby purchased a '09 mdx and I just drove it home last night and there is an intermittent high pitchy sounds that I thought was a bad xm radio station as it sounds like a transmitting sound but we turned the radio off but it still continued. Comes and goes every couple seconds. Much louder in the driver seat adn can't really determine where its coming from. Doesn't sound like anything in engine/tranny as it runs great. Doesn't make the sound when its idling only driving. not sure if it has something to do with the interior floor lights or.... if I can't find and resolve I don't think I can drive it as it gives me a migraine within 10 mins. Anyone experience the same?
    Looks like the 2013 Navigation update is now available for the 2010 - 2012 MDX, TSX and ZDX on both the Canadian and US websites. I am down in Texas until April so I'll wait until I get back to Canada to order mine. If anyone from Canada orders and installs theirs please let me know how it goes or if there are any problems.
    Thanks
  • andy3610andy3610 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2012 MDX base model which comes with backup view only.., would like to install Nav. system in it, Acura dealer doesn't provide such accessory...any one knows where I can buy it ? ( US or Canada ) thx
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    That would be a huge undertaking to use Acura parts to do this. Nothing is impossible with the right amount of money...but you'd be further ahead to trade for a Tech model at that point. Aftermarket options should be available for less....figure a couple grand easily.
  • itsmesriitsmesri Member Posts: 9
    I have inserted green dvd and updated (update bar completed) then it restarted automatically. From there problem started. it is keep on starting initial screen, confirmation message (Driver 1 loaded) and blank screen then system shutdown. then its starts again initial screen, confirmation message (Driver 1 loaded), blank screen then system shutdown. Its keeps on happening.

I am scared something went wrong? How to rest back? Suggestions please
    You need to call customer support.

I always hold my breath when I update, hoping something like that doesn't happen.
  • haldonhaldon Member Posts: 1

@andrewmdx said:
    Hi. Would the Pioneer unit work with the other capabilities of the touch screen info center? Right now my nav unit isn't working and I just had a major service done to the car and the info center is stuck on the "Please check disk" screen and I have no access to any functions at all.

I have the same message on my unit. Did you get a solution?

• andrew54andrew54 Member Posts: 4

The 2010-2013 Nav update (green) has more errors then it should. Traveling the same routes the original was much better. Consideirng that the company makes maps for just about all cars you would would think they would turn out a better product

• andrew54andrew54 Member Posts: 4

Must add - several times had to use cell phone maps in place of the update due to errors. NO I did not report them as why should I? Do their work for them and get nothing in return

• Michael_JohnMichael_John Member Posts: 1
    I personally don't like the MDX gps very much. I have always preferred garmin gps; it's so much better. I switched to it a couple of years ago and haven't regretted it since. And as for latest updates. you can find it on garmin express updater . They also help you with any errors you may be facing on your devices.