Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Music - What's on your playlist?

13»

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Went tonight with my son.. 11th row tickets... dead center..

Stunning... you think you know guitar? You have no idea.. :surprise:

Told my son I felt sorry for him... 14 years old, and he may never see a better exhibition of guitar playing.. :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Swee-eeet!
  • jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    It has been a long while since last occasion I heard to Rod Stewart.

Recently I purchased a new hi-fi set (only for music, not a home theater). Since then I am revisiting old vinyls and CD's.

Rod Stewart was not one of my favorites pop singers, yet with this new set I'm discovering tasteful music in and around his ripped voice.

Regards,
    Jose
  • okko1okko1 Member Posts: 327
    i kinda been going back to some of the older stile blues. if you like that kind of music i recomend Joe Bonamassa or Back Door Slam. the other group i have been listening to is Here Come The Mummies. :D
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Well, a different kind of Detroit sound.

Paxahau

The current Shoutcast stream for pasting into your player URL location box is 216.150.224.151:8000.
    .. going to see Steely Dan.. :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

sorry about the spelling
    Went to see Jeff Beck in concert...

My mouth is still agape..... An amazing guitar player.. When was the last time you went to an all instrumental rock concert, and didn't care? :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

new cd by paul thorn. well worth it. and jeff beck definitely rocks
    edited November 2010
    di.fm

"Mission Control: Celebrating NASA and space ..." on Soma FM is another fun one. I guess all the radio chatter in some of the work is public domain.
  • omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    I really like searching youtube for music which I've never heard from any other source. Unreleased live recordings, unknown artists and unique cover songs, etc. I only wish it had been this easy to find rare or obscure music when I was growing up.

Here is a link to a lovely acoustic guitar version of Debussy's Clair de Lune. I must have played this video 25 times or more in the last year. If you search, they even have a black and white video of David Oistrakh playing this in Paris, 1962! Amazing.

Remember "I Go To Sleep" by Ray Davies? Listen to this simple and beautiful live version by Sia. I've never heard a better performance of that song -- and I love the Kinks.

Also found this great live version of "Mistake" by Moby.

Is this kind of online database just going to keep on growing or become more restricted or proprietary than it is now due to downloading? Since becoming used to searching for music like this now, I'd hate to go back to the old school ways -- even if the music did sound a bit better on vinyl.
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
    Went to see him this week... excellent seats...

Awesome show! Highly recommended..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Late to replay here but Elvis is a great live act!
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    This was my 3rd time.... My 17-yr-old is also a fan... something about growing up in the car seat, with Dad at the radio controls.... :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I've been twice.

LAst one was with the Sugarcanes - his acoustic band. 2nd row. Sweet.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    edited June 2011
    I had tickets ordered for Elvis.

Dude up and died on me. :shades:

Lots of people wanted the tickets anyway so they could frame them, but no dice.

Here's a group for you Fezo. Finnish Reggae. Sample at NPR. We need to track them down sometime and catch a performance.
    About five years ago, he toured with Emmylou Harris. Is that the same show?

She didn't open for him..... they played together... That's when he was in big with T-Bone Burnett and the whole "Cold Mountain" soundtrack.

I thought that was awesome, but all the bluegrass/roots music bored my son (12 at the time)... Only about 20% of the show was his rock-n-roll era stuff....

So... two rock shows... and that one.. I've been very pleased with all of them.

I never saw him when I toured Graceland, though.... :shades:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Would have loved to see him with Emmylou! I've seen her a bunch of times though not recently. Saw a couple of times when Rodney Crowell was still in her band.

This was in support of an album called Secret Profane and Sugarcane maybe 2 years ago. T-bone produced that one as well.
    Finnish Reggae! Sign me up!

Meanwhile here's something different.
    Bobbie McFerrin cloned by six!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I'm into Frou-Frou right now. :P
    edited June 2011
    Detroit has an interesting techno scene; sometimes the feed goes dark for a while, but Paxahau Radio gets fun now and then. Shoutcast.com has the feed if the website isn't working (and it often isn't).
  • omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    This is the coolest part of youtube...finding obscure music or bands. These kids are kind of hard to figure out in today's mix. They're definitely not auto tune hip hop, more like an asian garage band with a pretty impressive American 70s/80s FM playlist. Very young raw talent, hard to say where the vocal range will break in a couple years. Still this is a great cover of Limelight and it's tagged as a live rehearsal from 2008. Wonder where the kaga brothers are now?
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
    My 18-yr-old son and I went to Columbus to see Rush on Thursday night..

Fantastic show... I wasn't really much of a fan when they started in the late '70s, but the young man really likes them, so off we went. This isn't a nostalgia tour... they have a new album and this is a real Arena Rock show... I think 15K - 18K attendance.

Amazing how much music comes out of just three players...

There were actually women there... who takes a chick to see Rush? :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

edited September 2012
    Church-Bred and Honky-Tonk Sanctified (WSJ)

New album out in a few days; only one track on YouTube that I see.
    In Louisville for the concert tonight.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    The Who is definitely on my playlist, but so is almost everything. My latest trend is learning to "Travis pick" and I've kind of started to get into jazz "standards" as well.

Eclectic isn't quite strong enough to describe how wide a range interests me
    You might like KCRW then, although it skews a bit "college" in an easy listening sort of way.
    We're house-sitting this week and our friends have Sirius in the house. I enjoy the "Coffee" channel but after a few days, it's getting repetitive. Any other channel recs?
    The heavy playlist this week includes Happy Hippie cuts, including a cover of Don't Dream It's Over by Miley Cyrus & Ariana Grande.
  • JahamesJahames Member Posts: 5
    PF_Flyer said:

My 14 year old has discovered vintage Weird Al :P

She wants to be SURE that I've heard "I lost on Jeopardy!"

Oh the world that awaits haha. It's pretty incredible that Weird Al has endured as long as he has. From what I understand, musicians like his parodies too. Good stuff.
  • skyisthelimitskyisthelimit Member Posts: 46
    My current playlists consists of The best of Coldplay, Bruno Mars, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Incubus.