Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pet Talk - My dog/cat is my best friend!

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
I can't even begin to count the special pets I've had over the years. At the moment, we are strictly cat(4) people as our dog passed a little over a year ago. She was a great friend for 14 years and it's still difficult to think about getting another dog. Someday....

The lizard died a couple of months after the dog, but I don't have any longing to replace him. :shades:

Comments

• caliberchiccaliberchic Member Posts: 402
    I have one dog, Australian Shepherd female who is smarter than most men I know. LOL

And one cat, Maine Coone male who I think believes he is a dog.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Excerpts from a Dog's diary:

8:00 am - Dog food! My favorite thing!

9:30 am - A car ride! My favorite thing!

9:40 am - Walk in the park! My favorite thing!

10:30 am - Got rubbed and petted! My favorite thing!

12:00 pm - Lunch! My favorite thing!

1:00 pm - Played in the yard! My favorite thing!

3:00 pm - Wagged my tail! My favorite thing!

5:00 pm - Milk bones! My favorite thing!

7:00 pm - Got to play ball! My favorite thing!

8:00 pm - Wow! Watched TV with my master! My favorite
    thing!

11:00 pm - Sleeping on the bed! My favorite thing!
    Day 683 of my captivity: My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and myself are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets. Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength. The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape. In an attempt
    to disgust them, I once again vomit on the floor.

Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly demonstrates what I am capable of. However, they merely made condescending comments about what a "good little hunter" I am. The audacity! There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However, I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my confinement was due to the power of "allergies." I must learn what this means, and how to use it to my advantage.

Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try this again tomorrow -- but at the top of the stairs.

I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches. The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released --and seems to be more than willing to return. Brainwashed idiot! The bird has got to be an informant. I observe him communicating with the guards regularly. I am certain that he reports my every move. The captors have arranged protective custody for him in an elevated cell, so he is safe....... for now.
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    That is my cat in a nutshell.

Meanwhile I have two dogs - both mutts. Gromit is pushing 12 but hanging in. Lab-chow mix. Best dog I've ever seen with kids.

Last week we added Wally to the zoo , which also includes 6 people. Wally is likely a mix between a yellow lab and a husky. 66 pound of solid muscle.

Anyway, I had this incident a couple of days ago but have found Wally to be the culprit - he locked me out of teh house!! What happened is I was letting Gromit out into the backyard. Wally has his front paws up on the slider window with a "Me! Me!" look on his face. He managed to hit the latch for the slider on his way down from the window. I'm standing in 14 degree weather on the deck with a perfectly warm dog looking at me with a "why aren't you coming in?" look on his face.

I don't feel half as guilty about his upcoming neutering as I did earlier in the day!
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    Hmmm....is Wally short for Wallace? :)

All this dog talk is weakening me. I hope no one post photos of their dog(s), or I'll be running to the shelter for a new friend. Problem is, I most likely won't come home with just one. :blush:
    What happened is one of my daughter's teachers has a farm and takes in strays and tried to find them homes. This is one of her projects. She had named him Reilly - as in "the life of," because he liked to make himself at home and pop up on the furniture like a person and watch TV or whatever was going on. Daughter #1 wanted to change the name and always wanted to name a dof Sputnik (I have no idea why); daughter number two wanted to leave it at Reilly. When I got to the point of "if you can't settle this I'll return the dog," al of a sudden Wallace came up. By calling him Wally, which closely resembles the Reilly he was used to he answered right away (well, he doesn't answer me but he answers the girls). Daughters #3 and 4 don't care about the name - they are just happy to have another dog.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Both of my beasts are adopted greyhounds. Their names are installed at the factory and adopting one always brings up the issue rebadging, or keeping the track name. I mean, some of the names given to these dogs are pretty outlandish (Santa's Little Helper?).

Both Mrs. Varmint and I think there's enough confusion in the dog's life when you take it from the track, to a temporary adoption kennel, and then place it in a home. Calling it by a new name just adds more confusion to the situation.

For that reason, our first hound kept his track name. Besides, "Swagger" has a certain silliness that fits well with us.

However, the second mutt posed more of a challenge. We were DINKs at the time and we both work in the software industry. Things were plenty yuppie already. Adding a dog named Buffy (short for Buffy's Ace) to the herd wasn't an option.

Thankfully, there were no kids involved in the process. (Never mind 4 daughters!)
    Good to see you around. Haven't seen in a long time.

Just try never minding those four daughters. Yikes!

I assume the former DINK status means there's a little varmint or two rather than losing one of the incomes....

My life has hit rock bottom - the dog locked me out of the house the other night!
  • hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    "> Here is my best little buddy Mac. He is a mini Schnauzer, very very intelligent and loving. He loves squeaky toys, first thing he does when he gets a new toy is check for the squeak. No squeak then he is not interested and that toy will never get touched again.

Cheers Pat.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Hey fezo - good to see you around too! Yes, Karen will let just about anybody in here...... :blush:

Well, our current crop runs two dogs (both mutts, both female) and two cats (both gray tabbies, both male). I grew up as a dog person but for some reason, I've found myself to be more attached to the two cats (Stuart and Archie). Stuart loves to take extended vacations (he'll disappear for 3-4 days about once a month; ALWAYS showing up at mom/dad's house to torment THEIR cats). Archie never seems to get more than about 50 yards from the garage (his mom was feral but I was able to catch him when he was a YOUNG kitten).

Archie's favorite activity is teasing Poco, our lab/border collie mix (yes, Poco is short for Pocohantas) through the chain link fence.
    "Hey fezo - good to see you around too! Yes, Karen will let just about anybody in here......"

Yeah, I just saw some proof of that..... ;)

lab/border collie. Sounds cool.

I've been thinking of the combination of training and neutering Wally. Part of me is saying I should catch him doing something really wring and say "So that's how it is, huh? We have ways of dealing with that," and then take him to the vet and just have one removed. I'll bet he's do everything I say after that.

Wednesday he goes in for the big snip.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "lab/border collie. Sounds cool."

And the best part is, she was a stray that just showed up one cold wet November day as a puppy a couple of years ago. One problem I have with living out in the sticks: folks are always just abandoning various critters that they no longer want or can't take care of.

Good dog. Short hair, all black except for white paws and a blaze on her chest, about the size of a border collie, and always acts as though anything the kids want to do is the BEST THING IN THE WORLD.

I'll hoist a tall cool one to the memory of Wally (and his boys) on Wednesday. :surprise:
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    she was a stray that just showed up one cold wet November day

In my experience, they are always the best kind. :D
    Ya can't beat mutts. Wally is only my third dog. I;ve had boatloads of cats.

My first dog I got back in 77. Came with the name Sam. She was a four month old puli mix. The mix was a shepherd husky combo that knew more about dog breeding than the puli's owners.

Until I had one I had never heard of a puli. They are a Hungarian sheep dog. Maybe 30 pounds. Look like a mop and I've never seen a smarter dog. When Sam dies just short of 15 my wife (who married into this dog) wouldn't go for another dog for years. It was just too emotional. After 5 or 5 years of dog exile we would up with Gromit. He will never be accused of being overly bright but what a great kid dog!

BTW - who is the wise guy who put teh as an actual word in the spellchecker?
    BTW - who is the wise guy who put teh as an actual word in the spellchecker?

You and your "teh" are such a fixture around here, it hadta happen!

I have a "Sam" who is 15 now. He's a big dog, mutt, shepherdy with something very fluffy in his heritage (hindparts, tail). Fifteen years ago next month, he wandered up to the house of some friends of mine after (as they discovered later) being shoved out of a pickup and just left on the side of the road. Of all the dogs I've had (nine or so, counting the ones we had when I was a kid), he's been by far the best one ever, the one I've been closest to and who has been closest to me.

He's having a lot of trouble walking at this point, but between several medications, vitamins and glucosamine, I'm keeping him on his feet, for now anyway.

I'm very much a dog person. :)
    Awwww...Mac is a cutie.

Now what did I say about posting photos?! Must...resist....temptation...I don't have time for another animal right now! :cry:
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Hadji will be 14 on July 4, but despite his age he hasn't lost a step. :shades:

He likes to come along for the ride. Here he is on top of a pile of wood chips I hauled in for the kids' playground.
    We have a little white dog in the yard behind us who is no bigger than my dog's head but is 14 and not slowing down much.

Wally came home from the vet last night all in one piece if missing two pieces (four if you include the dew claws they took because they weren't growing right). He staggered like a drunken sailor last night but is his old self today.

Even has red bandages where the popped the dew claws. They match his bandana!
    Ouch. :sick:

Actually, male dogs bounce back a *lot* quicker than females do after that dreaded visit. ;)

-juice
    Are you sure that isn't a cat? ;)
    Come to think of it he does purr at times...

:D
    My brother has one of them! I say it's the size of a cat and ignores everything you say. That's a cat!
    I had a dog/cat. Not only did she ignore everything I said, she liked to walk on top of and sleep on the back of the couch. This was a 60 pound dog, mind you.

She would punish me when I left her for more than a day. I had to spend two weeks away once and when I came home she wouldn't have anything to do with me for three or four days. She'd come to the edge of the living room and sit there and stare at me, but as soon as I looked directly at her, she'd walk calmly away, as if to say to me "you matter not and do not make the mistake of thinking that you do".

And then there was the time I took her and my other dog to be spayed. She wouldn't let me touch her for at least two days, she'd run away if I tried, while my other dog was all over me in her usual Odie fashion as soon as I brought them home. :)

I had a dog and a dog/cat during those days!
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    2 weimaraners. Lucy (aka Lady Lucille of Engaged Mist) and Dyna (Camelot's Just Dynamite)

I'll have to get some photos uploaded!
    Anyone dealing with this scare? Our animals only get canned food when they're sick, so no worries here.
    Yeah, we use dry food and I know the nanny feeds our dog table scraps once in a while.
    My dogs do get some canned food with their dry food, but what I've been giving them wasn't on the list. This whole thing is very distressing. There were some premium brands on that list as well as the more run-of-the-mill variety.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Yeah, so much for paying more for a better brand of pet food eh?

Our cats eat the dry stuff, so they are ok so far, unless some of the dry brands get added to the list.
    I like to participate in Agility and flyball with my Aussie. We got into this at a young age but when she hit her teenage years we took a break, she couldn't keep her head on! Now she's 6 and we plan to get back into it.
    Oh wow. Could be some disgruntled employee sabotaging the food? :mad:
    I saw that and there were 3 brands of food we USE to feed our dog! I am so glad we switched to Beneful a few years ago. Phew!
    My "best friend" has been digging up all the mulch I just spent the whole day yesterday putting down. He's in to the habit of burying stuff. :mad:
    I had a digger once. I went to Firestone and picked up a huge tractor tire and filled it with dirt. Anytime she was digging I said No! and then redirected her to her "sandbox". She doesn't dig in the yard anymore. :)
    He digs in my compost pile, too. That's fine. Gotta work on the training, I guess. :blush:
    In the last three days, one of our cats (PJ) has caught 7 baby garter snakes. Yes, they are still alive and wriggling. My husband thinks she's bringing them as presents to us, but I think she is more intent on traumatizing her neurotic, housebound (his choice, not ours) brother, Luke. Personally, I don't mind the snakes, but I prefer them in the yard...not on my sofa. Plus, peeling Luke off the ceiling fan is getting old. :surprise:
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    My youngest cat (Bert) got a "baby" hare yesterday by the scruff of the neck - it was about 1/3rd the size of Bert. I managed to get the hose on them under the front porch and both critters took off running (in opposite directions).

The lizards are suffering a high mortality rate right now though. :sick:
    That's hilarious, and they're still alive? :surprise:

:D
    Of course, what fun is a dead snake?
    Not sure if this cardinal is schizophrenic or the urge to mate has him completely befuddled, but this has been going on for a few days now. That is cat drool on the window. :surprise:

http://my.videoegg.com/video/dUITpP#
  • okko1okko1 Member Posts: 327
    have you seen xcargrl's bird bernie he's in the over 30 crowd. still looks 10
    my son just bought a mastiff. this will soon be a huge dog. does anyone own one of these guys or can tell me anything about them.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    yeah be careful if you aren't the owner. My friend has had them and they are amazing animals but being so large, they can be dangerous. I'd definitely keep kids away unless the owner is in full control. I'm sure not all of them are aggressive, but they were bred for that after all. One of his dogs did chew on his daughter for a bit.
    thanks for the info. i am realy concerned abuot these animals as he has 5 children from 2 thru 11.
    I really don't think a mastiff is a good idea in that situation. What's he thinking?
    Obedience training is an absolute must. A dog that size must be under voice/leash control and it has to start immediately.

That said, I have to agree with Shifty - was was he thinking?

This kind of thing really makes me sad and even angry. People get large dogs because they want them for whatever reason and then put them in a situation where a large dog almost has to become a problem. And then we all know what happens - dog no longer has a home.

Hell, it's not the dog's fault he got chosen by someone who was going to abandon him just because he turned into who he was always going to be. :cry:

Okko1, sorry, I hope everything turns out well for your brother, his family and the dog. I'm not directing all of this at you, it's just that I've seen this happen several times and it's just so unfair to the dog.
    it's is acually my son and he is a good kid but ever since he was little he has had to have every new gadget made by poepeel from the ginsu knife to the pocket fisherman. i think this breeder just sold him on this dog. the name of the kennel is the gentle giants. thats what got me interested in more info about these dogs. having raised rottweillers and ridgebacks i no how important proper socialization is. but iwonder with 5 kids how much time do you have for a dog. well i hope i don't end up with the thing.
    Well it will depend on how the dog was bred, and how it's "wired" at the genetics factory. I can assure you my friend's mastiff was very intent on eating his daughter. They were actually a pair of mastiffs, and perhaps these dogs act worse in pairs. Most dogs do.

Gentle giants? I don't THINK so. These are hunting dogs, not as in tracking, but as in running down and killing.
    thanks i will show him the comments i get when he comes by this week end.