Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2007 Rabbit - Sold out - 2008 Rabbit - 170HP engine

jwranajwrana Member Posts: 6
edited March 2014 in Volkswagen
I just spoke to my VW dealer about purchasing a 2007 Rabbit. The one I wanted couldn't be found in Canada so he tried to order one from the factory. Sorry, no more are being built... the allotted amount has been accounted for this year. This even suprised him!!

My options are to see whats available on the lots across Canada (yeah right, try finding one!) or wait for the 2008 model which he said he can take orders for.

Apparently the new 2008 is the same car (slightly different option configurations) with the engine tweaked to 170 HP!

I guess I'm waiting.

Comments

• Options
    eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    170hp? Sounds great, especially since i think that this engine needs to be tuned with more top end power, but where did you find this out? From what i have heard about the 2008 vw rabbits (if they are even still going to be called that.) they should be around until 08' and those were supposed to be the final model year.

The reason they are not making them anymore is because vw is losing money on them. They apparently offer a little too much bang for your buck. And also given the so so milage with the 2.5, they are suppossed to do away with it as well, which i guess would make more sense than tuning it more powerful, even though i wouldn't mind if the mileage stayed the same.

I read that the change is more than just options, but in the way the car looks too, suppossed to more sporty.

Was this just what he told you or did you read it somewhere? Feedback appreciated!
  • Options
    I went to buy a 2007 from a dealer at Cowell Motors in Richmond, Vancouver. He said the computer system wouldn't allow him to place the order. Instead he got an order screen for the 2008 Rabbit. The only difference in spec was the change in motor HP and the way the options were packaged. He said he was very surprised by this as VW hadn't actually notified the dealership.

I searched and couldn't find any information about the 2008 Rabbit on the web. I'll let you know more this week when he calls me back.
  • Options
    samsvocsamsvoc Member Posts: 10
    I hope this isn't true as I've narrowed my 2 choices down to the Mazda3 or Rabbit. Can anyone else confirm this as I would be pi$$ed if I couldn't buy the vw. Thanks.
  • Options
    well if it is true, it may just be a matter of waiting for an 08, not neccesarily not being able to purchase a rabbit in general.
  • Options
    I think it was on car and driver or motortrend were i saw the whole 'golf redesign due sooner than later' to make it sportier and such. But it he says its just a difference in options and engine output, then maybe it will be the same body style and just be the last 'freshening up' it will get before the model changes completley. Honda does this too; they added a few options and a few extra horses to the accord since its being redesigned soon.

I wonder if he accidentally just read you the torque numbers though; its 170 exactly. Dealer guys make mistakes like this all the time it seems. At any rate, let us know what he says!!!
  • Options
    Ok, he got back to me. Sorry, he doesn't know anything more than what I've already stated.

He did say that they had an open order in the system that they could change to fill my 2007 needs. If I go that way, it'll be ready sometime in July.

Ahhh man, now I have to make a decision... wait til Sept for the 2008 or get the 2007 two months earlier.
  • Options
    tough one man. Personally i'd just get it now, i know that the redesign is coming, but i highly doubt its so soon. Just get the bunny now! ;)
  • Options
    So I've done a little hunting on the topic and it could be that the 2008 Rabbit has the new 1.4L TSI engine. This thing has 170HP with better fuel economy. This would be the best of both worlds.

Check out this link on the European Golf GT

http://www.infomotori.com/a_53_IT_15472_4.html
  • Options
    Ok, word is starting to leak out now. Looks like vw is tweaking it's existing 2.5L

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3123606
  • Options
    this engine is awesome! i've read up on it before it looks and sounds so sweet! I think it'd be the best of both world too...until something goes wrong.

Not to dis vw relaibility (we have enough people here for that.), but theoretically it would stink to have to replace anything on this engine. I seriously doubt we will get it here; it screams euro market exclusivity. If they tune the 2.5 up, or make it a bit smaller, or get one of those new clean 2.0 diesels it'll be amazing. (as long as the price is kept low!)
  • Options
    i'll check it when i get home, my work blocks most forums! (well except this one. :) )
  • Options
    bakedzitibakedziti Member Posts: 4
    Keep in mind that this is all marketing. Its the same 150HP engine with an update to the ECM programming to get the extra 20HP and charge more money.

They also will be bundling options such as ESP and rear airbags and CD Changer/Ipod adapter with Centerconsole for the 2dr's.

I'm sure all of us with 06/07's can find out what the program is once they come out and get the extra 20HP if its important to you.
  • Options
    yeah, i actually hopped (no pun intended ;) ) on vw vortex last night and found out that it is going to be an ecu upgraged and a re-worked intake manifold that the dealer can do, for an extra charge ofcourse.

I wouldn't mind a little more top end, its the only performance penalty i see in the rabbit. Low end torque pretty much owns everything else in its class.

I'd love the center console option! Sounds like much better packaging.
  • Options
    bpeachee1bpeachee1 Member Posts: 19
    Hey, anyone in BC, Canada...
    come down to the SF bay area... there are literally hundreds of Rabbits in stock within a 50 mile radius!
    Maybe they arn't sending enough to you guys up there!
    check stock here.
    http://www.bayareavwdealers.com/en_US/
  • Options
    1000hours1000hours Member Posts: 29
    Hi all,

My company is taking away all the company cars and giving a car allowance to buy new cars for us people who drive a lot... A 2dr/mt Rabbit would fit nicely into my car allowance with some bucks left over too.

My question is regarding the 2008 engine: does anyone have "real" info on it? Is the redline going to be increased past 6000rpm's?

I also own a car that redlines around 6500 with an mt tranny, and I can tell you that I wish I could move the rpm cutoff a couple of hundred ticks higher.... I think I could live with the Rabbit as a company vehicle, but I don't want to be dogged by a low RPM engine.

Is there any info out there on the 2008 Rabbit? Whats the 2dr "S" version?

I used to own a Honda Civic and let me tell you that the new 2006 Civic's with their platry torque numbers are a pain in the 'you know what' to drive in city traffic becuase you have to rev the crap out of them from every stop light just to keep up with big and slow SUV's. So low end I'm not concerned with the Rabbit, but I'm wondering about the top end......
  • Options
    duncan36duncan36 Member Posts: 8
    My local VW dealer has a couple of '08's and like 30+ '07's. Anyone getting any discounts on the '07's?
  • Options
    1000hours1000hours Member Posts: 29
    Has anyone driven the 08s???? Impressions? Details?

Please!
  • Options
    i didn't realize that you could even drive them yet, as none of the dealers near me have them yet.

redline goes up from 5800 to 6300 and the 's' will just be a trim level, probably the more comprehensive one. (the engine output for all rabbits should be the same regardless of trim level.)
  • Options
    08rabbit08rabbit Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys (I'm a calgary teenager), I just ordered my 08 2 door Rabbit (white loaded) and the guy who sold it to me informed me that the revs will increase into the 6000s. I test drove the 07 and that was awesome however the guy told me it would be substantially better with the extra 20 hp. Has anyone driven it yet, I'm interested in what I have to look forward too. Mine will be here on August 13th
  • Options
    congrats on your purchase man! i don't think that anyone has driven an 08 yet, as i do not belive they are on dealer lots. the redline is going up to 6300 from 5800, so bascially you are going to get better top end power, instead of a car that is great around town and just ok on the freeway.
  • Options
    miracle0miracle0 Member Posts: 1
    i have owned rabbit 2007 and going to pick up rabbit 2008 tomorrow, personnaly i dont really feel the diffrence, except that its faster to accelerate from 0-100, nothing else changed, the form factors are quite the same too... i didnt compare them side by side yet lol....
  • Options
    why do you have 2 rabbits?
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    In a couple of days they'll have maybe 4-5 Rabbits. ;)
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Heh... I felt that one coming :P
  • Options
    lilwoman84lilwoman84 Member Posts: 2
    I have s 2008 Rabbit S 2 door with the 170 hp...it is awesome!!! I had actually gone in to buy an '07 but the dealership only had one left (at it was priced very close to the GTI price with all the extras they piled into it). I bought the first 2008 and only 2008 they had on the lot. I can't comment on the difference between the feel of this car against the 2007 but let me say it is impressive. So far gas mileage is better than I thought (I just filled up my first tank and I got 353 miles to the tank which is about 25 mpg). However, I have been driving the crap out of it averaging about 85 on the freeway so I'm sure if I slowed down it would be better. Oh yeah, it redlines at 6300...It feels much more expensive than it really is.
  • Options
    i used to get around 320-434 to a tank regularly, the best i ever did was about 370 on a long highway cruise.

If you fill up with the normal 13 gallons, going that far should yield about 27 mpg, not 25.
  • Options
    sactoskiersactoskier Member Posts: 7
    Bought a 2009 rabbit in June, 2009. Will some one please summarize the difference between the 2007 (150 hp) and 2008/09/10 (170 hp) engines. And, are there any after market performance parts for the 2009 rabbit. If so, how much additional hp do they add? Thanks,
  • Options
    jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    I'll just point out that the HP difference is accounted for by the higher rpm. The original engine design had 150 hp at 5000 rpm, thus torque at 5000 rpm is about 158 ft-lbs. The newer design has 170 hp at 5700 rpm, which means 157 ft-lbs torque at that rpm.

Meanwhile note that the original design had peak torque of 170 ft-lbs at only 3750 rpm. The newer design has a bit higher peak torque (177), but it also occurs at a bit higher rpm.
This discussion has been closed.