Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan Maintenance & Repair

13»

Comments

• podpod Member Posts: 176
    Under load and uphill are the circumstances that use extra power and generate extra heat, so I would assume the problem is that the car is actually overheating in those circumstances. I would guess the problem is that the cooling water flow is somehow limited. Kinked hose, faulty water pump (marginal output okay for usual conditions but insufficient for high power times), stuck thermostat (you ruled that out with replacement). I doubt the problem is in the sensor loop, more likely in the supply loop. My guess would be the water pump. Should be available at junk yards or on line for much less than dealer part. Likely a common part on all fusions and milans.
  • ckone0814ckone0814 Member Posts: 71
    Let me start by admitting I'm am an anal whacko when it comes to squeaks, creaks, rattles, and buzzes in my cars and I'll chase everyone relentlessly with felt pads and silicone spray :)

I will be in the market shortly for a late-model sedan and the Fusion is on my shortlist. What are owner's experinces out there? Is the Fusion for me? My experience with Ford says no as I own a 2007 Mustang GT convertible and it's "typically American" with many noises but hey, it's a performance car, a convertible, and weekend fun driver so I can deal with it.

Thanks!
    I, too, love quiet. I selected the 2010 Milan (Fusion) for this reason. Compared to the Hyundai Sonata I also tested it was obviously quieter over road perturbations. I am pleased after 15,000 miles. I believe there is a general concensus that Fusion/Milan of recent vintage do not develop squeaks and rattles. Most NHV comes from the tire/road interface. I am pleased with the Michelins which were OEM but when it comes time to replace I had remarkable experience with the Assurance Comfortred on my prior Mercury Sable and will probably go that way to squeeze out a few less decibels. The Fusion is a quiet car compared to its midsized competition.
  • lostlost Member Posts: 64
    I have a 2010 fusion that I purchased in July 2009 and i have 20,000 miles on it now. I can honestly say that it does not have even a hint of any squeak or rattles or any other noise. it is a very tight car.
  • ckone0814ckone0814 Member Posts: 71
    "sounds" good so far! Would really like to buy American for a change.
  • yanifyanif Member Posts: 4
    Does anybody know whether or when will Haynes or Chilton publish 2011 Fusion manual? Only on-line manuals from now on?
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 12
    We have a 2010 Fusion, 4 cyl., with 36,000 miles. On idle and acceleration, the engine sounds coarse to me, much louder than a comparable Honda or Toyota. It's not missing, just not quiet and smooth like it was was when it was new. Any idea of what might be amiss? Otherwise he's been a great car. Thanks!
  • temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    This has been a common complaint regarding the 4 cylinder. I am surprised that you have not noticed this before now. It is good that you have not. I have the six and this is the reason that I did not want the four. I kept reading the complaints about how noisy it was when you accelerated.
  • triman666triman666 Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2011
    I bought this Ford Fusion 6 cyl SEL because Car and driver, Consumer Reports etc all chimed in about what a great car it is. Well before 30k miles I replaced the synch module twice and all the directional lights twice. At 40k miles the alternator went for $960 and last week the water pump was leaking. Fortunately it was covered under the drive train warranty because they had to take the car apart. The dealer has my car for lasts weekend and 6 more business days and they will keep it till Monday. so 11 days overall at a minimum. The maintenance manual says it should be 16 hours labor. The car has 52k miles on it and I have lost faith in the vehicle. My F 250, 4 wheel drive crapped out at 40k miles. I am done with American cars. Ford can my kiss back side. And whom ever said the Fusion is the car of the year is full of crap and should not be trusted again
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Yet hundreds of thousands of other owners don't have any of these problems.
    Really I know a dozen people with Ford vehicles. One guy has an explorer with 3 transmission changes all under 50K miles. My best friends wife liked my Fusion so much they bought one and just lost the transmission at 24k miles. My wife had an explorer a few years back and it front axle problems below 40k miles. Yet her Honda has 130k miles with oil and transmission fluid changes being the biggest repair so far. Ford is an embarrassment. I will trade this car in as soon as I can and will probably never buy another Ford
    This is funny, the dealer offered me a complimentary rental for the weekend (Very good people at the dealership BTW) It is a Nissan!!! ROTFL
  • wilcoxwilcox Member Posts: 582
    A loaner for you. That's nice of dealer to do.

But, I feel that some times when his (dealer) 'technicians' touch my vehicle they can screw up something else. At least that's the way it worked at Toyota...and others.

So while you are out there enjoying the 'free' loaner there is some monkey in the garage working on your own...and making it worse. It's not just Ford, it happens with all of them
  • wilcoxwilcox Member Posts: 582
    I understand the dealer had my car torn apart and actually told me his guys had never done this particular job before and this was "A learning curve for them" I can't wait to see if blows up in the next couple of weeks. If I have another problem with it I will dump it
  • dfree2dfree2 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having a similar problem with my 2011 Fusion, 4 cyl ., 33k miles .
    Did you find out the cause of your problem ? Thanks for any info you
    might be able to provide.
    About 6 weeks ago it was reported that 2010 and 2011 Fusions and Milans with 17" steel wheels were to be recalled because some of the lug studs were shearing off. Two cars lost wheels (at low speed) and something like 28 other cars has some sheared studs. The recall was supposed to occur on January 28th. I have not been notified. Does anyone have information on the state of this recall?
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 12
    edited February 2012
    We were notified about a month ago & our '10 Fusion had it's studs replaced today. This recall also involves brake rotors. We had our original rotors replaced by our independent mechanic earlier because they were warped and our Ford dealer told us that Ford will reimburse us for our expense. That phone call is on my "to do" list.
    I enclose a quote from inside-line re the recall. I have not been notified and will have to check the date of manufacture of my 2010 Milan I-4 with steel 17" wheels (which have plastic covers to make them look like alloy).

"Ford is recalling 128,616 2010-'11 Ford Fusions and Mercury Milans equipped with 17-inch steel wheels because of a risk of wheel separation, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

"The wheel studs may fracture, potentially causing a wheel to separate," said NHTSA in its recalls summary of the problem. "While driving, multiple stud fractures could occur at the wheel location, and the operator may experience vehicle vibration and/or wheel separation, increasing the risk of a crash."

Ford Fusions and Mercury Milans equipped with alloy wheels are not affected.

The recall also includes 2,940 service steel wheels sold to dealers.

Ford said as of September 30, it was aware of one front wheel separation and five rear wheel separations, according to documents filed with the federal government.

The affected vehicles were built from April 1, 2009 through April 30, 2009 and from December 1, 2009 through November 13, 2010.

Ford dealers will inspect the rear brake disc surface for flatness and replace the discs. In addition, the wheel lug nuts will be replaced on all four wheels. The recall is expected to begin on January 24. Owners can contact Ford at 1-866-436-7332."

That is an excerpt from an inside line story maybe two months ago.
    I am curious why automobile engineers have not been able to provide a more linear fuel gauge. My experience in every car I have ever owned (including my present Milan 2010 I4) is obviously nonlinear. The mileage when the needle reads half full cannot be doubled to predict the mileage per tank. The mileage per tankful is markedly less than 2 x the half way value. It seems that the closer you get to the "E" marker the more quickly the needle drops. I think I understand why this happens if there is a float and the tank is narrower at the bottom but why haven't the same engineers who give blind-side warnings and lane crossing warnings figure out a way to electronically adjust for the shape of the tank. Or is there some other reason that I am missing?
    Occasionally I need more space to carry a large item, or one I don't want to put in the trunk. I am considering purchasing a small utility trailer with a 500# capacity and using that hitched to my 2010 Milan I4. The items would weigh only 200-350 pounds max so the added weight isn't an issue. These would be short trips at moderate speeds. My question is whether the plastic skirt and rear bumper enclosure makes installation of a standard trailer hitch difficult without making a cut out on the bumper enclosure which I would prefer not to do. I know some hitches have a bend in them and then come back up to the ball hitch. Does anyone have experience with putting a hitch on a fusion/milan? Any advice or product endorsements? Thanks.
    I have a 2010 Milan with the electrochromo-whatever, self dimming mirror. I'm not sure it works. When I cover the two sensors at the base of the mirror if a set of lights behind me is very bright, no change. I would expect it to get brighter. I shone a small flashlight into it the other night while driving, no apparent change. On the other hand headlights in the rear view mirror do seem less intense than in the side mirrors.
    Does anyone know how long it takes for the mirror to change reflectance after a bright light appears. It may be designed to have a relatively long response time to avoid short cycling with every reflection.
    One very unusual idea which I read in one of these forums is to rotate the mirror 180 degrees. This is done easily and puts the light sensors at the top of the mirror and the microphone at the bottom. I wonder which is the intended way. The side taper seems more correct in the microphone up sensors down position.

Does anyone have a recommendation as to how I could test the mirror to see if it is working as intended. I hate bright headlights. Recently Audi brightened thier taillights to a nuclear level which is a new problem: they are too bright to begin with but when the brakes come on they are blinding. What is this trend to get brighter and brighter lights? The national highway safety did a research project and concluded that highways are so well lit these days that headlight intensity could be reduced 40% with no issues (and this was before the HID, LED nuclear intensity fad appeared). I actually wear lightly tinted sunglasses when driving at night to reduce some of the retina-searing moments.
    edited September 2012
    I was able to read some and speak to a service manager at my local ford shop. The autodimming mirror (in the 2010 models) works with three sensors. The one which faces forward (toward the dashboard) senses whether it is day or night. If it is bright the mirror defaults to a standard mirror with no dimming. If it is dark enough to simulate night, then the front two sensors determine how much dimming should be provided. To test whether the mirror is working (the effect is subtle on a well light highway) put a piece of black electricians tape over the front-facing sensor during the day, the mirror should obviously darken. The car has to running, not just on for this effect. If it doesn't darken it is broken.

I prefer extreme dimming so I have fashioned a little pull down blind over the front sensor which I pull down at night. The mirror works remarkably better at night this way.
    I was unable to determine why there are two sensors facing the rear.

It turns out my mirror was operating and not broken but the subtle dimming was hard to see. Now with the opaque baffle over the forward facing sensor, it is dramatic and very helpful.

For reasons puzzling, putting your finger over the sensor does not work to "blind" it. The black electricians tape is specifically recommended by Ford or the manufacturer.
    I am not too bright. When I have heard about people going to wider tires I always assumed the difference was considerable. Then I thought about it. The width difference between a 215/17 tire and a 225/17 tire is 10 mm! That is one centimeter. That is approximately 1/3 of an inch.

In retrospect I now realize that adding 10 mm to the base of 215mm isn't even increasing the width by 5%. I did not appreciate the very small steps that tire width increments provide.
    Yet, presumably, the gain in grip is considerable. Surprising.
    If you consider that only a tiny portion of the tire itself is actually in contact with the road at any given point in time, an increase of 10 mm is a bigger increase in contact patch percentage wise.
    Whatever the area of the contact patch, increasing it's width by 5% would result in a 5% areal change (Area=L xW). In any case, I find it remarkable that the increase in width is so small from one size to the next. I guess my notion stems from my long history of cars with 16" wheels and narrow tires where 225s wouldn't fit in the wheel well or they would chide against the sheet metal on extreme turns. I always pictured them as being very much wider than my "little, thin" tires. I guess not so.-----
    I was thinking there would be a larger percentage increase in the contact patch since it's way smaller than the circumference of the tire but you're correct - a 5% change in one dimension is a 5% difference in area regardless of the overall area. Although in terms of cornering ability I bet a 10 mm increase in width is more effictive than a 10 mm increase in length of the contact patch. Won't matter for acceleration though.
    I feel like I should know this but I don't. At what times does the AC come on and mix dry cool air with the heater air. Does it come on every time you turn on the heat? Or does it come on only when you are in the windshield defrost mode and have selected the windshield defrost button. I have a 2010 Milan/Fusion I4.

I assume that when you select heat you get warmed air from the fan without AC activation but I wonder if my assumption is correct.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    You are right. It comes on in the defrost mode, not in the heat mode.
    If you have auto climate control the A/C will come on most of the time until temp goes below 40 or so. It helps dehumidify the air whether it's warm or cool.
    I should have specified that my car does NOT have automatic climate control and I understand that this feature assumes control of the AC and heater when active. Thanks.
    That's what I assumed but wanted to let others know in case they did have EATC.
    As mentioned earlier I have located a class one trailer hitch (200# tongue load/2000# overall) that is custom drilled for attachment to the 2010 Fusion/Milan. It is an easy installation that requires only a ratchet set and a strap for the exhaust (which is temporarily lowered from the rear hangers). The receiver sits nicely under the bumper with no need to cut or modify anything.
    Then I read and discovered that Ford "does not recomment towing with the vehicle". I discovered that many 4 cylinder cars have similar disclaimers.

Speculation is that liability concerns make it prudent for the manufacturer to be very conservative in endorsing trailer load since driving at too high a speed could outrun the braking capacity or, with too big a load, over heat the transmission. And so on.
    I understand that caution by Ford.

However I doubt that a small trailer (4' x4') with a small load (e.g. a recently purchased generator which weights 230# would pose a problem. There are folding platforms that attach to the hitch receiver and extend outward from the rear of the car which are rated at <300# load (and weigh 50# themselves).
    What do people think. Is towing a llight load (total<500#) a likely source of strain or damage to the I4 Fusion?
    No takers on the original question so I will elaborate. Many manufacturers of 4 cylinder cars advise against towing without citing any specific reason. I think it is obvious that a small engine is not able to move a huge load without overheating the transmission and straining other parts. I am talking about towing small loads (total weight of trailer and goods less than 500 pounds). There are trailer hitches that bolt into the chassis holes in the Fusion without need to drill or reroute anything. The receiver sits just under the bumper cover and is nearly out of sight. I maintain that a small trailer and load should be no problem provided the car is not also hauling four adults. That is my point: the car is designed to accomodate five adult passengers. Assuming that none are obese that load may weigh 5 x 160#=800#. A single driver and a 500# load on the hitch should represent a lesser load and strain.
    I suspect that Ford and other manufacturers are concerned that if they give advisories on trailer loads, etc. that they may be liable for issues that arise from overloading. My concern is that if I put a hitch on then subsequent warranty issues may be incorrectly attributed to the fact that I occasionally put a trailer on the car.
    I wish to have the traileer for the 3 or 4 times a year when I want to haul a large item or a messy item or one that just won't fit in the car or the trunk. A generator comes to mind as a good example. Typically portble generators weigh in the 200-300# range and should present not overload problems. Agree?
    I recently visited a Ford official site regarding maintenance intervals for the various fluids and filters in their vehicles. I was good with all the information except the recommended 15,000 mile change recommended for the fuel filter. My experience suggests that this is a ridiculously short interval and it raises questions about the credibility of the site. My extreme example is my prior 2000 Mercury Sable in which I did not change the filter until over 150,000 miles (through ignorance). The car ran well throughout my ownership and the change, even at this extremely long interval, did not result in any discernable change in dynamics or power. Obviously one swallow does not a summer make but 15,000 miles! This has to be driven by profit motive or a desire to get them into the shop (most folks won't try this filter change by themselves). Can anyone defend this citation? I think Ford are very well engineered cars and can't help but think that the engineers are embarassed by this suggested interval.
    Not sure what you were looking at but the 2013 Fusion does not list any required replacement interval for the fuel filter - it's a lifetime filter. Maybe you were looking at the diesel truck recommendations.
    No, it wasn't in reference to the Fusion or any particular model or year. It made the general statement that the Ford Motor Copmapny recommends replacement of the fuel filter every fifteen thousand miles and at a shorter interval for heavy duty service

It was in a Ford Motor Cop. owners site with this link

----http://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?cid=1251117147717&pagename=Owner- %2FPage%2FArticleDetail&recid=1251387049862&parentheadlineimageid=1234280151966&- parentrightrecid=1239636411265

under a section called "care and maintenance tips"

It seems an official Ford site and asks for sign in and password and/or VIN. Seems legit thats why I was so puzzled. It has to be a misprint. I agree with a very long service interval (half way to never).
    The three dashes (---) before the http:// donot belong there. Sorry for the bad copy and paste. Leave them out and you will get to the Ford site which is currently down for maintenance but will open again.
    That's just a generic recommendation and probably an old one that hasn't been updated. The actual maintenance schedules for each vehicle are correct.
    Agreed. I can't imagine any time in the past thirty years when it would be a proper reference. Gremlins in the site I guess. Maybe they should edit the site each spring and clean out the archaic references. I am pleased that Ford has simpified the recommended maintenance schedule. I am almost three years and 30,000 miles into my warranty and except for oil changes. tire rotations and multipoint inspections every 5-6 thousand miles and a change of air filter, I have done nothing because nothing needs be done. That good design. I smile when the good folks at XYZ motors say that they will provide all necessary maintenance for free for the first year. I guess that translates into about $50 dollars worth of "free".
  • talontsidudetalontsidude Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2011 Milan V6 with 12,000 miles and have also noticed the low pitched "moan". I am also noise sensitive on vehicles as well and my fiance can't hear the low moan but then again she's not very observant : ). To me it sounds like a minor wheel bearing howl/ groan or differential/ gear moan. Did you ever track down the "moan"?
  • variable22variable22 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2013
    Hi. I have a 2012 Fusion and have the same vibration noise at idle 900rpm. I've taken it to the dealer and they said it's just the car's normal frequency and nothing can be done, which is ridiculous. Did you ever determine the cause of the noise?
  • sandyriversandyriver Member Posts: 16
    Hello, I have a 2012 Ford Fusion SE (2.5L, Automatic, FWD). i was very happy with the car until today. I dropped the car off to fix a seemingly minor issue - the air conditioner was making a rattling noise. The shop at the dealership changed a motor assembly in the AC/Heater unit (YH-1886). That seemed to have fixed the noise. On my way back home the car started behaving as if I was downshifting the gear. The RPMs increased and the car slowed down. I pulled over to the shoulder, tried to stop and start the car. The engine started, but the gear would not shift. It also flashed "Service AdvanceTrac". I called the tow truck. When it arrived, the operator was able to shift from park, and have it roll onto the towing arm. Although he could shift, he said it didn't drive right.

At the dealership, the car drove ok. The service technicicans were unable to diagnose it immediately as it was the end of the day. From the symptoms, it seems unlikely that the transmission and/or stability control issues were unrelated to the issue they fixed, although I can't be sure. Has anyone seen a similar problem?

thanks,

Sandy.