Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon Electrical Problems

Comments

• AlennxAlennx Member Posts: 20
    Send me your social security number, your pin number and your pants size too ;)

Did GM just take over this forum? I honestly hope you're kidding when you ask people for their personal details. We don't know who you are!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited December 2010
    Christina is cool, it's okay--just don't post your information in the forum itself, only by e-mail, and if you are in doubt about who is asking for info, ask your hosts.
  • al6pndral6pndr Member Posts: 45
  • gthfishgthfish Member Posts: 8
    edited December 2010
    Don't know if this will get posted, every time I mention I've traded my colorado in on a JEEP, I get kicked off the posting with out finishing my post!! a little ONE SIDED if ya ask me! SOOOOOO long G.M. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm told by someone at Rousch that the wiring harness is made in MEXICO!!!! go figure!!
  • flynneryflynnery Member Posts: 1
    They're pretty much all made in Mexico.
  • snaproll1snaproll1 Member Posts: 88
    Well, well, well. Back about 300 posts ago I detailed the problem the Chevy has never heard of, battery dead, driver's window not working, fob not working. $800 dollars later, replacing the BCM, the battery, burning out the blower resister while they were testing, replacing a burned fuse block... the truck has worked for 3 years... until tonight. Went to start the truck, same fricking thing, dead battery, driver's window doesn't work, fob doesn't work. At least this time they can't pull the, "We've never heard of this before" because they heard of it 3 years ago when it happened then. Hopefully by now they actually know what the problem is and don't just randomly replace $400 dollar BCMs to see if it fixes the problem (which it didn't).

Hey, Customer Care Christine, how about showing a little care for someone who once trusted in Chevy products and get my truck fixed right this time.
    edited December 2010
    snap, we certainly understand your frustration here, ( it would drive me nuts) but poor Christine didn't build your truck and she can't get under there and fix it for you. But if she didn't care, she wouldn't be doing the job she tries to do. Let's try to be grateful for her efforts in coming here to help us. :D

I've gotten interested in this problem myself and the history of it is quite something---goes back a few years apparently. Most fingers point to the BCM but not always, since there are so many variables in what can drain a battery---you know, like people adding aftermarket accessories, or say someone who combines an older battery with short driving trips + heavy usage of accessories.

This seems like a moving target for GM.

Visiting Host
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    snaproll1 ,
    Can you please email me your VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer? I look forward to your response. Please include your Edmunds screen name. Happy Holidays!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    edited January 2011
    Can you please email me your VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer?"

I sure can, but I'm not sure why? Do you really have any leverage to do anything? If you are a legitimate GM rep, then you shouldn''t have a problem providing an office number/email were you could be reached at.

If you are legitimate, I appreciate the offer to help. It certainly would be somewhat different than my previous experiences with Chevy. Maybe a little bankruptcy now and then is good thing for reassessing the need for good customer service.
  • dacholidaydacholiday Member Posts: 4
    I posted back in August about the problems we are having with this vehicle, wouldn't start because of the faulty passlock system, and a fan blower issue. I figured out how to work around the passlock issue. That was pure luck. The fan blower we just jiggle it and it works, but now this stupid piece of crap is having door lock and window issues. Look at all the posts on just this forum about the same problems. How can GM just ignore all these issues. It is not our fault they created a lemon. They need to man up and fix these issues for free. We do not have the money to pay for all these pseudo fixes, my husband is disabled.
    And why in the world has someone not filed a class action against them
  • burnthecanyonburnthecanyon Member Posts: 6
    You know what snaproll1, when you start dealing directly with GM then magical things do happen. When I got to the $5000 mark with my canyon in repairs I did phone GM myself and start discussing the repair bill. The dealership had been saying all along that GM was aware etc. But they weren't. Another $5000 later in repairs that the dealership swallowed and my truck was finally drivable again. Now I am having blower fan issues too like everybody else here. Moral off the story quit being a jerk and give Christina a chance to help you. Or goto GM Canada website and get a phone number like I did. As an aside, the dealership I used to deal with lost the GM contract with restructuring.
  • budlite1013budlite1013 Member Posts: 8
    I was wondering if anyone out there can help me. I live in Canada, but purchased an American 2005 colorado 4x4, but of course it did not come with a manual. Is there anyone out there that could send me a pic of the fuse panel from the manual along with the abbriviations? would greatly apprieciate it. thanks
    You should post the engine size, either 2.8 or 3.5L
    "You know what snaproll1, when you start dealing directly with GM then magical things do happen."

Been there, done that, got the teeshirt. Actually I got a "Jelly of the month club", 4 oil changes and a tire rotation "valued at $390 dollars!" from Chevy. That was not very "magical". Perhaps things are different now that they are bankrupt.

" Moral off the story quit being a jerk and give Christina a chance to help you."

My appologies to Christina if she is legit, but the time for concern was to cover $250 dollars of the bill three years ago. I'll never buy another Chevy and never put another dime in their service dealer's pocket if I can help it. But that's only me from the experiences I've had with Chevy service.

On to the issue at hand. I just got the truck back from a competent mechanic. The door modue that the Chevy dealer told me had "absolutely nothing to do with the problem, it's the BCM"... was the problem.

It seems that the door module ($360 bucks) has a computer in it that controls only the driver's window and door locks. They could not get output from the module, replaced it and taaa-daaah, problem fixed. With the initial problem in 2007 I read that if the wiring harnesses were disconnected and cleaned it would heal the problem. That is true, I used it to fix the problem two or three times before taking it to the Chevy dealer the first time. That's when they replaced the BCM. Then the battery. Then burned out the resistor in the fan when they were testing it. Definitely not the door module... until 3 years later. Perhaps there is still some electrical glitch that randomly fries this stuff, perhaps another burned fuse block or something.

In any event, for what it's worth, there were "history codes" also on the ABS system and instrument panel. They could be old, back to the time I had the other problems and never cleared.

Anyway Colorado owners, good luck with your trucks. When the truck is running it's a great little truck. It's just no rhyme or reason for when these problems surface but it sure doesn't sound like an option I paid for.
    Just a quick update on the window/locks/fob.

For a couple of weeks before the truck went dead, I noticed that the driver's window was getting "sluggish" or would "stick". In other words, hitting the button and sometimes the window would not move. If this happened I'd pull or push the window a little bit and it would run up or down fine after that. I just assumed the window motor was getting worn out or the mechanism was slipping or something.

Since the new door module this problem has vanished, the window works fine again. I just mention it in case you notice the same symptoms, a sluggish window seems to indicate that the door module is going, soon to be followed by the dead battery/window/lock/fob thing.

I also wonder if a weak battery may be a cause of some of these electrical issues, not a symptom of them. Perhaps if the battery for whatever reason discharges or puts out low voltage, it could cause havock with the other systems, tripping codes in the ABS, BCM etc. If true, probably worthwhile to test the battery regularly and replace it as soon as it starts to get weak.
  • stevieb45stevieb45 Member Posts: 3
    This seems to me that this should be repaired by GM free of charge as its a bad fault and could cause a fire. I have had mine apart and the wiring just melts the plastic connector that the resistor is in. I just ordered the new parts online and I will repair it myself. cost is about 100$ CND. I think GM needs to get this matter sorted before somebody dies in the truck from a fire etc.
    Like any other major corp. they will wiegh out which is cheaper a couple of lives/lawsuits,or a major national recall.. You & I are cheap prices to pay out we can be had for a few $'s but a national recall???? $$$$$$$
  • dspencer1231dspencer1231 Member Posts: 3
    As I have posted before it is a grounding circuit problem. The Window, weak battery, and the harness melting is a ground problem. Nothing is grounded directly to to body anymore. The problem is when you loose a ground on something it tries to find a ground and goes through something else. That causes the current to go up on a wire not rated for it. You have to be proactive on this one. The problem is you don't know you need to be proactive until it is to late. Good luck people.
  • stevieb45stevieb45 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for you reply. I still think they are out of order by not recalling them fro that reason. If they had been a Nissan or some other truck it would probably been sorted out via recall. I have never come across this in my life and coming from the UK, all the GM's there would have been repaired free of charge or recalled. It seems to me that in North America they just don't give a toss. Well perhaps somebody should take them for millions for a loss of life... I think this is why the Germans want to go it alone with their GM company. They do build good cars. Good luck to them to.
    Took my 07 colorado in for the same problem 3 times in 1 year. 3 time the dealer did'nt find/fix the problem (something other than the electric stuff you see posted here.) 3time I got a quality questionaire from G.M. to fill out about how I felt my problem was handled.

3 time I gave a negetive feed back. after the last neg f/b I called the dealer with another different problem, the dealer told me "you gave us 3 neg. f/b take your vehicle somewhere else we don't want your business any more! I talked to the owners son who said "I'll check this out and get back w/you." that was 2 years ago still haven't heard from him!

called G.M. customer service told them what happened.. "well we can't do anything about that.."

so my old uk chum you are correct! they DON'T care!! .Randy Wise Chevrolet .Milan Mi. the WORST dealer on the planet!!!!! cheerio!
  • krquinn1krquinn1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Canyon that the battery goes dead in about 12 hours. I have replaced the battery and the charging system was tested. The only glitch in the system I have seen is the power door locks. The doors will lock all by them self, with the truck shut off, keys either in or out of the ignition. BUT it will be fine for awhile or like now, where I've had to jump start it the past two days.
    Welcome to the wonderful world of the CHEVY COLORADO!! Here are a few questions to ask your self. 1 If it aint the battery,or the charging system? 2 if it aint the ecm/bcm whats left? THE WIRING HARNESS!!!!!!!!!! but try to convince G.M. of this little glitch and you will be ignored!

If you do convince them this is the problem and they have a "recall" (OOOOOO WHAT A DIRTY WORD!!!!!) you will be treated like some sort of God like Hero by everyone on this site!!!!!!!!! As Paul Harvey used to say.. "And now you know the rest of the story!!! Good Day!!"

Randy Wise Chevrolet, Milan Mi. the worst dealership on the planet!!!!!!
  • sc6lousc6lou Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2011
    they convinced me that purchasing the 2007 Chevy Colorado would be great. They take care of their customers. My battery died in under a year. Tires wore out in 15 months. Fan clutch sticking and had replaced (so they said) twice problem still exist. Doors lock and unlock themselves. GM says $100 and we will diagnose it and then $$$ and we will try to fix. Meanwhile all the post you read say that they have a very high failure rate of the Body control module but no recall on that.
    I am hoping the truck burns to the ground and I collect the insurance. Then go back to purchasing foreign again as they last.
    GM gives no support, what they say they change a part but you can not prove it. As I asked to see the old unit and they said they could not find it. Tried to contact GM but their upper management only cares about their bonus NOT their customers.
    Buy a FORD not GM products. They are not like they use to be iin the 60's...
    They sell you and then forget you.
    Hey, go to GM's customer suppert. Keep pushing and they will eventually offer their "Jelly of the Month Club", four free oil changes and a tire rotation "valued at $390 dollars!".

Uh-Huh.

Best to find a mechanic and shop you can trust. I'll never take my truck to Obama Motors again.
  • davemadeampdavemadeamp Member Posts: 1
    i have the same problem with my 2007 in my colorado the swr go wild
    If you are useing a mag mount on the roof place it forward on the cab. the closer you get to the dome light in the truck the higher it goes.. And DONT try to run any power what so ever..
    al6pndr,
    You always have the option to take your vehicle into the dealer. I understand you are doing this yourself; however, their service department is trained to work on the electrical systems in this vehicle and maybe able to assist you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Christina. No need to worry about my problem (as if you ever did.) I traded that P.O.S. Colorado off on a Jeep product back in December! Was at the dealer 3 days after the deal was done to go out to lunch with my salesman. As we were leaving I saw someone test driving my old truck . A week later this person had bought it and had already had it back to the dealer with complaints of ELECTRICAL ISSUES!!!!

Guess this person will be another satisfied G.M. customer?!! You don't have to worry about me now,because my Jeep is doing fine and to be honest I don't think I'll be purchasing ANY G.M. products for a LOOOOONG time!

Thanks for the memories! Randy Wise Chevrolet Milan Michigan the worst dealer on the planet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hey al6pndr,

Maybe you could tell us how you really feel about GM?

It's interesting. I was at a parts store yacking with the guys there and we talked about the Colorados. Seems another thing is that they are prone to spinning main bearings on the I5. Nice. Something to look forward to I guess.

In fairness, they did say the new vehicles are "way better"... now.

It's a shame they have permanently lost so many future customers because of their past business practices.
    Tried to post how I really feel about G.M. but......The sensors kept rejecting my posts because of a little thing called cursing?? Sad thing is I had 2 used G.M. products before I got the Colorado,both were GREAT trucks.. Had an 87 ck1500 with 209,721 miles on it,it had 27,000 to start. Kept it almost 13 years.

Next a 1996 s-10 with the 4.3 vortec had 28,000 when purchased, ended up with 144,000 . Sad thing was due to being in a hurry for hunting season let one of these "quickie lube" joints change the oil... While trying to not get creamed by someone running a red lght while making a left turn, (no I dont turn on red lights but the 2 others that ran it before the last guy left me no choice being stuck in the middle of the intersection, with cross traffic trying to go.) I gunned it to get thru the intersection and had unknowingly blown the rubber "O" ring off the oil filter that wasn't tight and emptied the crank case before I knew what happened.

Wish I could have either one of those trucks back instead of what I ended up with.. Thanks for your comments Have a nice day!!
  • springador99springador99 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Colorado Crewcab that had "that" problem with the power windows not working within 6 months of purchase (can't recall if door locks were affected). Chevy replaced driver door switch/circuit board assembly under warranty - great! Had to replace battery 18 months ago, but no big deal. On February 5, 2011 (58,000 miles), the truck would not start. Would crank, but not turn over. Disconnected negative cable from battery for 15 minutes, reconnected and truck started and ran fine. Upon leaving that location, noticed that door locks would not work from console or fob, and driver's side window as well. Got home and called my mechanic (very trustworthy) and he said he would check it out. In the meantime, I found this website and read all 300+ posts. When my mechanic told me that he had tried everything he could, including taking apart the switch/circuit board assembly and inspecting/cleaning - cost to replace $250+, I mentioned that I would try and find a replacement at a junk yard - well, that didn't work (and one business told me that I was the 2nd to call for that part in a week). I then tried some of the suggestions on this board - + battery cable disconnect, add star washer to ground, etc. Nothing worked. Found one other website/board with a suggestion to take off the cables from the battery and short them together for 3 hours to discharge capacitors. I am an Electrical Engineer, and while I understand the concept of capacitor discharge, I struggled to short the leads together for fear of potential other problems. Anyway, did just that for 30 minutes, unhooked the cables and left alone overnight. In the morning, hooked up the cables to the battery, waited a couple of minutes and started the truck with no problems. Let the truck run for a minute, pushed the "L" on the door lock switch and the door locks closed. Then tried the driver's window and it worked. Ran the truck for 10 minutes and shut it off. Opened the lock with the switch, then opened and closed the door and locked with the fob. So far, so good - I just wonder how many "computers" are a part of a modern vehicle. I think there are 2 just with the door circuit board.
    my wife could NEVER understand why I would order/purchase my vehicles as "PLAIN JANE" as possible. The old saying holds true "The more you have on a vehicle (electrical doo-dads.) the more things you can have go wrong!"

Randy Wise Chevrolet .Milan,Michigan .The Worst Dealer on The Planet!!!
  • bleedchevybleedchevy Member Posts: 1
    Ok Im so confused, I have owned two 04 colorados the first one had for 2 years, only had the blower resistor problem, sold it only because of family got bigger needed a 6 seater. any way now I dont need such a big vehicle and purchased a second 04 colorado. well right off the blower resistor went fixed it, then the control for defrost stripped the gears. And I totally love my Colorado. Well now the whole power window, power lock thing is totally screwing up. I have took apart tapped on rly 3 as mentioned. didnt work, took battery cables off cleaned post. cleaned under ground going to frame, re attached, no go. checked all connections. seem good. I can purchase a new window switch but dont wont to if not the problem. I would really like to know if any one has had this problem and a new switch didnt fix it! so confused, I have been a diehard chevy fan, and still am I hope the start stepping up and recognising, these problems. :sick:
    I've had the window/fob/door lock thing twice. Keep an eye on your battery. If it goes flat, then you have the problem that Chevy never heard of.

One post a guy wrote that capasitors in the system needs to be discharged and shorting the battery leads (disconnected from the battery of course) fixed the problem. Never tried that one. Don't know if it will really work.

I feel your pain. It's a good little truck if it didn't have all these weird, reoccuring electrical problems that Chevy never heard of.
  • jmellojmello Member Posts: 1
    Wow i cant :mad: believe all the posts on this issue . I had the same drivers side window , inoperative door lock problem a year ago . couldn't figure it out weeks later it just started working although i hear beeping like my keys are in the ignition when I get out of the truck. Months later the cd player stopped working but radio worked, farther down the road my heater fan works intermittently.
    Well today i left my flashers on drained the battery. Jump started the truck and now drivers side window doesn't work again and door locks or keyless entrydoesnt work.. Just for kicks I tried the cd player figuring whats the chance, Well i can now play cds again just cant use the window and locks!!!
    I cant believe GM wont do anything..........I stoped buying Chevy years ago and figured i would give it a try again and nothing has changed other than they use our money to fund lousy service and products.
    And don't forget the govt. uses your /my tax dollars to bale them out and make it mpossible for them (G.M.) to give out BIG BONUS CHECKS to thier "higher ups!" Thats why they don't want any recalls they gotta pay back the Govt!!
  • boilermaker06boilermaker06 Member Posts: 4
    I removed all of my bulbs (headlights, turnsignals, and brake lights) coated them in electrical grease and reinstalled them all. This did indeed fix the problem that I was having, but since then a bulb or two has gotten loose three other times. Maybe in the 2012 owners manual then can put a bit in there to "snug" up your lights with every oil change to keep the entire electrical system from going haywire... Thanks canyon08 and sorry for the late reply to the board, but I have a relatively new electrial problem which is why I logged back in.
  • boilermaker06boilermaker06 Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2011
    My truck's latest electrical glitch comes about after it rains. I noticed this back in 2010 when I was having the electrical problems with the turnsignals/MPH gauge, but thought it was tied in with that; however, it is now happening every time it rains. Truck starts fine, goes into gear fine, but as soon as you're getting up to speed the MPH gauge goes to zero, it throws an ABS Fault code, and the transmission locks into 3rd gear and will not shift out of it. The problem is only rectified after driving for several miles, sometimes longer, at upwards of 3,000 RPM until I notice the MPH gauge begin to flutter. At this point I have to pull over, shut the truck off, and turn it back on. After the water is out of wherever it has gotten the truck acts like nothing has happened. As a lifelong Chevy man it is getting harder by the day for me to say I will never buy anything else, but as soon as I get this problem resolved the truck is going up for sale!
  • canyon08canyon08 Member Posts: 14
    Glad that fixed that problem..electrical problems are the worst and seem to be a serious issue with this truck, too bad because I really like the damn thing! I'm popping a 449 code now...sounds like a vaccum leak but too cold and snowy to crawl under now, still runs fine. Recently, my fob works good for awhile then it seems like the truck isn't picking up the signal and it's only 5 months old..
    snaproll1,
    Will you please email me with more information regarding your concerns? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    jmello,
    I apologize for your frustration. Have you taken your vehicle into a GM dealer?
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    "Will you please email me with more information regarding your concerns? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service"

Don't worry about me. I'm never setting foot in another Chevy dealership for service or buying a vehicle. Don't worry about fixing *MY* vehicle, do something to get Chevy to fix ALL of them... then you may be doing something USEFUL towards future Chevy sales.

Why don't you POST A SOLUTION to this REOCCURING PROBLEM that Chevy says doesn't exist. Seriously! Obviously there has to be a common reason for the issue. What is it? Bad programming in the BCM? Bad grounds?

This problem has been going on for at least FIVE YEARS. By now SOMEBODY at Chevy must have SOME idea how to fix and SOLVE the electrical problems this truck has. I know they certainly had no idea five years ago the first time I had the problem. "It's the BCM", "Actually it was the battery, but we're charging you for the BCM anyway", "Oh we replaced a burned fuse block too".

Seriously, if there is a solution, post something USEFUL rather than talking about the quality of the all knowlegable Chevy technicians and an opportunity to SPEND MORE MONEY at the Chevy dealership. POST A SOLUTION. :lemon:
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Relax! Christina is in customer service - she's not an engineer or a mechanic, nor can she diagnose problems from words on a screen. It may actually prove useful if you DO email her (you can get her email address by clicking on "gmcustsvc" in her post header) and give her as much information as you can about your truck's issues so she can get it to the right people.

Take a few deep breaths, have a beverage, then compose a calm detailed email about what you've encountered.

Rants don't get things fixed.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
    edited January 2010
    boilermaker06,
    Can you please email me with your VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer?
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • irish728irish728 Member Posts: 1
    I have had it.....always double talk and never a fix. You people have lost a long time chevy/gmc customer.Dead battery had to be jump started,now driver window and door locks dont work.Here we go after checking all circut protection(which should have protected the circut) nothing blown or tripped.Let me guess.."bring it in we will be happy to look at it for you"
    I think not because your techs are clueless on how to repair anything,I have seen some in action......So why not post logical repair procedure because GM is clueless.....I will figure it out myself as usual
  • burnthecanyonburnthecanyon Member Posts: 6
    When my driver door window and locks quit working I checked all the usual suspect things like fuses etc. In my frustration I grabbed the bundle of wires where they enter the door and gave them a shake. Then everything started working again. That was a couple months ago. I haven't taken anything apart to look closer yet. Same with my blower fan. If I go over a big bump then it cuts out for a couple secs then comes back on. It's funny we all have the same problems and there is no simple fix like where the short is or the wire harness needs changing or???
    WIRING HARNESS!!!??? funny how that statement KEEPS comming up in these postings.......RANT,Rant,rant.....