Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dash/radio and overhead console lights go out

rastuznirastuzni Member Posts: 3
edited October 2019 in Chevrolet
Hey everyone i have tried going through the fourm to see if there has been a similar question but as of now i can not find one so here goes.

I have a 99 blazer, when i turn the headlights on i have no dash light of any kind not even in the climate control group. my radio lights go out as well as the digital temp gauge on the overhead console my digital lights for PRND321 work as well as for my milage they both go dim as they should but nothing else. I have replaced the hdl sw and the radio still nothing, i checked all fuses even under hood they are all good. any sugestions???? pls hlp thank you in advance.
T: toronto

Comments

• repairdogrepairdog Member Posts: 948
    I would say the headlight switch in the left side dash is shot. That controls the auto headlights and dimmers in the interior. About $55 US and have to remove the trim - 1 screw above gauges, and then the 3 lower under wheel and the others are plastic snap ins so release on slight pull. Do not break the harzard button on top of syteering wheel off doing this! It is kinda in the way so be careful.
    Assumes the alternator is good and gauge shows about 14 Volts - if it drops when lights come on get a load test on that first.
  • rastuznirastuzni Member Posts: 3
    are you talking about the actuall headlight switch in the dash the one that tuns them on and off, if so that has already been replaced, if there is another on you are talking about i am not sure
  • repairdogrepairdog Member Posts: 948
    That was the one. If the dash has been out for a heater core you may have some bad connections. Next arae would be the door jam switches - all work and none broken and shorting. Then on to the multifunction switch - activate high beams then lows and see if that effects the outcome.
  • rastuznirastuzni Member Posts: 3
    Thanksfor all the help. My high beams and low beams work fine,do these have a sensor that determins night from day? when i start my truck when it is dark out i dont have to turn my headlight switch on my headlights are already on but when it is daylight i can use the switch to go from daytime running to headlights! Still no dash lights either way
  • ncslaterncslater Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Blazer I just purchased recently. The dash lights flicker constantly. Is this normal in a GM product as I have never owned one before? Also headlights come on when starting and stay on unless I push the dome override. Is there anything to do to fix this problem? Thanks.
  • vhreecevhreece Member Posts: 1
    I have checked all the fuses and they are fine. My dash will not light up, cig lighter don't work, and I can't tell how much gas in the tank. I can't even tell how my speed is, no dash lights at all. The dash panel is digital as well. The radio does work, but can be shakey at times. What is a person to do?????? Could it be electrical?
  • jpmccrjpmccr Member Posts: 31
    2001 Blazer LT - 120240 miles. I have now about half of the lights working on my dash and climate controls. The radio lights are going out as well. I used to have all of the them but it seems that ever so often another "dies". Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It is very frustrating. . . . . . .
    :cry:
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    yep, the lights are replaceable. The instrument panel will have to be removed, as will the climate control head. There are usually little twist sockets from the back that are removed with the bulbs in them. Replace the bulbs and you are good to go.

The radio lights may not be quite as easy, but the radio is easy to remove and you could then take it to a repair shop and have them replaced.
  • duntovduntov Member Posts: 133
    I replaced the "bug" lights in my 1991 S10 Blazer temperature conrol panel yesterday. Two screws hold the panel to the dash and are located underneath the control panel. . Remove the two screws and the panel assembly lifts out.Pull out the assembly until you can access the light bulb sockets. The two sockets in the light harness accepts two #194 bulbs..Reinstall the temperature control panel in the resverse order that you removed it.
  • blazerwoesblazerwoes Member Posts: 3
    My dash lights are out, but I can see the mileage and the dome light works. No dash lights at all, radio works.

Fuses are fine...I am so confused. What could this possibly be? It is really a hassle driving at night and not being able to see how fast I am going!!!

HELP!! :(
  • ncslaterncslater Member Posts: 3
    I know this is going to sound silly but have you checked the dimmer on the left side of the dash? the only reason I ask is that it happened to me one time when I got in that I bumped it somehow and it dimmed the dash to nothing when everything else still worked. Hope this helps. ;)
  • blazerwoesblazerwoes Member Posts: 3
    Yes, unfortunately I have checked that. I keep re-checking it too, hoping somehow it will magically work. :blush: I know it has to be something simple that I can't get my brain wrapped around..... :confuse:

Thanks for your help!
  • karljustinkarljustin Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem. Did you ever fin a solution?
  • GeloGelo Member Posts: 1
    My 1999 GMC Jimmy dash and radio interior lights just started with having intermittent on/off lighting problems within the last 3 week. I called my brother who went to a auto electric school. When a group of lights go on/off it's not bulbs. He said I should first check (1) ignition switch which feeds power to all interior lights, including radio is failing and needs replacement. (2) grounding wire for dash could be loose. Of course it's behind dash which is not that hard to remove or drop down for access to the ground connection. I will be checking for power failure with a trouble light on both problems. Good luck
  • JustinpreecJustinpreec Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Chevy s10 and right now my cluster only works when I turn my switch on and nothing works with it off it affects my radio and my dome lights if I have the switch off I hear what sounds like a ticking sound like a relay or something like that in the dash what could that be thanks for the help