Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

1965 Mustang Value

2»

Comments

• Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    And I should have mentioned - Ebay is a 'reality check' - the bid values at closing are a reasonable minimum value, since these are bids 'sight unseen' except for pictures and seller's (typically optimistic) descriptions. However, they do get you in the ballpark.
  • Options
    gent8591gent8591 Member Posts: 4
    Looks like I am going to have to pay a visit to my dads garage and look it over for all of that information. I know my Bronco and Dodge Ram inside and out, but not the Mustang. I wrote your name and this posting down. Once I get over there and get all the info, I will get back here and let you know. I live in Missouri by the way. Thank for all the help and suggestions. My younger sister is getting the car and I want it to be a good call for her sake.
  • Options
    Shifty's the value expert. You're going to get my two cent's worth as a former Mustang owner - they're fun to look at, but she'll want to be very sure of the mechanicals before using it frequently. And she should be aware that the gas tank forms the trunk's floor, with the filler tube in the trunk, not the best situation in a rear-end collision.
  • Options
    gent8591gent8591 Member Posts: 4
    Well considering that my dad was a very well known and respectable auto mechanic and owned his own business all those years, he kept the mustang and the other two vehicles in excellent condition in all aspects of a vehicle. My sister is getting it because my dad wanted her to have it. She use to drive it when she was a teenager and every now and then just to cruise. Shes glad to have it and wants to restore it to showroom condition.
  • Options
    This sounds like a perfect situation, then. I wish I had my old one, but it rusted away, as they're prone to do...
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    If you post the VIN (you can leave out the last few numbers if you wish) that would be helpful.
  • Options
    euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    Hopefully, you are located close to the Mustang Club www.showmemustang.com

Each club usually has several members who would be very accurate in appraising your Stang.

Yours is a Vintage and in high demand. ;)

Euphonium
    66MustangGT 6RO7A169929
  • Options
    I think clubs are VERY helpful for information and often know more than appraisers, but they do tend to overvalue their own cars. This of course, is a perfectly human thing to do, but it's also why you might want to do your own research or hire an appraiser in a probate situation. Club members are not what they call "disinterested" parties and fair market value is usually determined by disinterested parties. Classic car dealers would also not qualify; however, they do know the market and if they aren't buying or selling the car, they'll give you a rock solid number.
  • Options
  • Options
    Due to "Dealer Installed" and personal post manufacturer modifications there are more GT's out there than the three assembly lines produced.

If the 5th digit in the VIN is a "K" = rare engine and most valuable if in front of a 4 speed. ;)

Not to worry about the placement of the fuel tank. Other Ford produced vehicles are the same and the problem is nil.
  • Options
    Not to worry about the placement of the fuel tank. Other Ford produced vehicles are the same and the problem is nil.

Like I said in my post, infrequent use no problem, but you just have to Google 'Mustang fuel tank fire' to come up with many hits on the problems associated with the tank's vulnerable location and lack of isolation from the passenger compartment. We live with risks every day, just need to be aware of them.
  • Options
    A diligent search of Google "Mustang fuel tank fire' produced the following.

"I'd like to point out that your classic Mustang has already survived 30
    or more years without suffering such an indignity. Statistically, very
    few of the millions of classic Mustangs have suffered this fate over the
    last 30 years!"

The possibility exists, but statistically zilch. ;)
  • Options
    If you go to the following - you will read an interesting letter regarding the CA collision lawsuit.

www.theautochannel.com/news/press/date/19980715/press014589.html
  • Options
    rennie1355rennie1355 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 64.5 Mustang 260 with generator and power steering with an Eton pump. I am attempting to install origional factory airconditioning. I have mounted the compresor but now the Eton pump cannot be mounted back because the compressor extends to far. I am told that a factory Ford pump with a slanted reservoir may correct the problem or a remote power steering reservoir may also correct the problem. Does anyone know the correct way to fix this problem.
  • Options
    After you join the Mustang Club of America, you can ask that publication your question(s) and they usually are very prompt about a reply. Google them and go for it.
  • Options
    nusnus Member Posts: 1
    i was just a little curious if anyone knew how to price a mustang that has a little rust,. It needs restored motor has sat for years the hole thing needs money but the body isn't that bad really. if anyone has any input it would be nice. thank you.
  • Options
    If it's a coupe that needs everything the value is really very little, and not worth fixing up unless maybe it was a convertible, or a 4-speed manual with V-8 motor. Sounds like a parts car to me if it's just an ordinary coupe that needs motor, interior, bodywork and paint. There really isn't such a thing as a 64.5 Mustang and you shouldn't pay extra for an early production car anyway. They are all 1965s as far as DMV and Ford are concerned.

I guess if you want a hobby and don't mind losing about half your money on a restoration, this might be a good car to learn some skills. You can buy very decent '65 coupes, daily drivers that look pretty good, for $6,000--7,500, and I'd encourage you to restore one of these rather than a wreck.
  • Options
    jacko76jacko76 Member Posts: 1
    a friend died and i am helping his wife sell his 1965 mustang fastback, 289, 2 bbl, 3-speed, standard trim. it has not run in about 30 years. it has little rust on bottom edge of drivers door. floor pan is solid. body is all there and looks good. black interior 2+2 seating, rangoon red in color. looking for a fair price to tell her so she is not cheated out of her late husbands car.
  • Options
    Kinda hard to hit this one without seeing it, but as a ballpark I'd say the car will sell in the $7500 to $12,500 range, depending on how bad the rust is.

If by "3-speed" you mean 3-speed manual transmission, that's a deduct on value. Also it sounds like it's not a GT, so that's a deduct as well. It could have a 200HP or 225HP engine, so that makes a difference, but not huge.

If someone offered $9K-$10K, I'd probably take it.

You can buy these in really nice shape for $22K--$28K