Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LX 570

Comments

• nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    The Platinum sequoia drives better than the LX 570 because it has an independent rear suspension and the chassis of the LX 570 is based on the old Sequoia/tundra. The new sequoia is based on the new tundra which is more rigid.

Are you sure about that? The old LX-570 is based on the Land Cruiser, I believe - which predates the Sequoia or Tundra by decades. I may be wrong, but I don't think the Land Cruiser and the Tundra/Sequoia are related by platform at all....
  • gvasudevangvasudevan Member Posts: 43
    The old LX 470 is based on the landcruiser which is a very old /revered design. The new LX 570 is based on the landcruiser which itself is based on the earlier sequoia. I have the old sequoia and if you get into landcruiser/lx 570 the seating arrangement, dimensions are virtually identical. Although sales people dont like to acknowlege it they also agreed when asked.
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    Sorry, but the LC and the LX predate the OLD Sequoia by several years. The new LC and LX share the same underpinnings etc.but both the old Sequoia and the new Sequoia are entirely separate. The old Sequoia was based on the old Tundra and the new Sequoia is based on the new Tundra.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

I realize that people have diffciulty when they hear that the LX 570 is based on the old sequoia. This is a fact just like the fact that the RX 350 is based on the old highlander or the fact that the ES 350 is based on the Avalon/Camry.

Lexus starts with a very fine product which is the Toyota and make it far more luxurios with find leather, better gauges and a better suspension
    Nope. At one point there was speculation that for 2008 the LC would be dropped from production and the 2008 LX would then be built off of the Sequoia. That did not happen.

An entirely new LC was built and it was/is not based on the Sequoia. The LX is based on the new LC platform.

As I mentioned earlier, you are also wrong about the old LC/LX being based on the old Sequoia. The LC/LX changed very little from 1998 thru 2007 model year. I don't believe the Sequoia was even built in 1998.

Toyota/Lexus does a lot of sharing between platforms and they are smart to do so. However, this is not the case with the Sequoia and Landcruiser.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

I never said that the old LX is based on the old sequoia. The old LX is based on the landcruiser. The new LX is based on the old sequoia chasiss. I have talked to atleast 2 sales people at Toyota and 1 at Lexus. All of them have confirmed that the new LX is based on the 2001 sequoia chassis. Ofcourse Lexus and Toyota have spent more than 5 years refinining it into the LX and LX.. I have also driven both the LX and the Landcruiser. The first and second row seats are virtually identical to the old sequoia. THe major difference is the power third row seats on the LX.The new LX also shares the 5.7 liter engine with the new sequoia/Tundra..
    Well someone has given you some bad info. The Sequoia is and always has been a vehicle designed, built and sold only in the U.S. The Landcruiser/LX is a world vehicle built only in Japan and sold in various configurations worldwide. It has been around much longer than the Sequoia. About the only thing they have in common is the engine.

The RX 350 and the old Highlander are actually based on the original RX 350 because the RX 350 was the first to be built, at least a full year before the original Highlander.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    Has any1 yet purchased a lx570. I am sure whoever read these posts here would seriously be confused. by the way I would prefer LFA over the porsche and r8.
    I certainly haven't bought the LX 570 but I am on my second LX 470. I haven't even seen a 570 in person. I have had a chance to look at the new Sequoia and the new Landcruiser.

I am as confused as everyone else about this business of the new LC/LX being based on the old Sequoia. All you have to do is take a look at the subject vehicles and you will know that they are very different trucks.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

I think the lx570 will be the best large family SUV.

1 of my uncle is considering getting trading his old cruiser to a new cruiser within 3 months strangely he doesn't consider any other SUV I have notice this that land cruiser owner don't switch a lot
  • bulletheadbullethead Member Posts: 40
    I'll try to be brief - in one day I drove the 2008 TLC,(Sticker $73k), the LX570 ($84k), the Sequoia Plat. ($58k), the short body Escalade ($71k) and the LR RR HSE ($84k)

2008 TLC - Pro: as an owner of a 2000 TLC, I was impressed by the performance of the beast - the usual quality and understated theme, complex, high quality 4x4 system and perf on the road - I think my current TLC drives just great and this one was a big improvement over that. Con: No adjust. susp, no power 3rd row seats, no Xen lights, arm rest on the front seats are gone.... kinda under whelming... guess as I have aged, my expectations, for this kinda $, have moved a little upscale

2008 LX570 - Pro: all the best points of the TLC, had the elusive arm rests, albeit as part of the center consul - had all the goodies that the TLC lacked (as noted - the power 3rd row seats do not look tobe removalable), but more refined (if that is what you are looking for)... Con: $10k more in cost

2008 Sequoia - Pro: price / value equation, size (this could be a +/-), power 3rd row fold-into-the-bottom seats... Con: kinda ugly, IMHO of course, Interior - sitting in the driver seat, the interior (although upscale for a pickup), made me think back to my old F150 4x4 that I had in college, 1 piece rear gate (albeit with power window), 2nd row captain chairs (no good for me as I have 3 kids in baby seats and two large dogs - maybe they can be switched out so that you can get the 2nd row bench like the base model?), size - this thing is huge....

2008 Escalade: Pro: bling - bells and whistles, Cons: Shifter on the steering column seems "old hat", 2nd row captains chairs here also (what is it with these things?) looks and quality - hard to justify the upcharge from the Yukon Denali, although my neighbor "the know it all' Dr, just raves about his - go figure huh?

2008 RR HSE - my wife loved this one - deep blue exterior, with off white leather seats with blue piping and blond-wood interior accents. Didn't drive the supercharged version but this one was fast enuff...Pro: exclusivity, interior driving quality, Cons: lack-of-quality reputation (although I have friends that have the 2007 and 2006 models and they have had no issues - then again, their wifes drive them, so the things never get abused), overall size / quality / performance to cost ratio kinda sucks...

The more I think about it, the more I may just sit on the sidelines and wait for the 2008 LX570s to come off those 24 month leases...
    Good post. Thanks for sharing.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

nice experience. so ur leaning towards the lx570 seems a good choice since there is a chance that rover could have a new owner very soon. women seems to like these SUV a lot these days. :confuse:
  • mikeivanmikeivan Member Posts: 42
    Wow, great experience, back to back to back drives. Thanks for posting. How would you rate the ride quality of these five, from best to worst?
  • founderfounder Member Posts: 48
    85 grand!!!! whew! I just found out the price today and it's nothing but pure greed on Toyota's part. I haven't seen one in person yet, but i have been impressed with the looks. Toyota has finally done it in getting the 470/570 up near the Range rover's price. I'm sorry, but the Lexus just doesn't have the complete package to justify the massive price. This truck sounds about 10-15 grand overpriced. I think I'll go with a Denali, to many people have the Escalade, can't turn around without seeing that truck. d@mn I really wanted the 570 and i expected it to be over 70 grand but i will not pay near 90 grand for this truck. As someone else mentioned already about getting a lower priced Lux Sport ute and spending the extra cash on something else. I'll spend the 55 grand for the Denali and use the 30 grand I'll save to buy a car for my kid or redo our kitchen or update the entertainment in our house, something.
    yup it does seem over price. does any of you think will LEXUS EVER make a suv to compete with cars like the BMW x5. i will the x5 and wish to be my next car but i really trust lexus reliability and not bmws

please toyota lexus make a car to compete with the x5 i don't consider the lx570 or the new upcoming rx as a x5 type of competitor
  • vtdocvtdoc Member Posts: 10
    If you paid 85K for the 570 you are NUTS, CR invoice including the 1200 hold back is 63K. With a few add ons you can get it for 70-75 or less. I drove it and it was great ride and feel all around. :D
    The new redesigned 2008 LX 570 that used to be the 470? If you know a place where you can pick the new one up forthe price you mentioned let me know.
    I agree with you on the quality of lexus. That is the main reason I held off buying the Range Rover, which I liked. Unfortunately the Range Rover as i've heard is not reliable. Great mechanically but electronically wise a lot of them European makers don't match the Japanese. Even issues aside lexus does not match the same prestige as the Range Rover.
  • bulletheadbullethead Member Posts: 40
    Of few more impressions, in no particular order....

Driving the 2008 TLC - only drove it about 10 miles, but that included a main street, and whirl on/ off the interstate and back... as noted, it had more "umph" than my 2000 TLC, the two-tone interior was "nice" (too bad the sales guy had no idea what he was showing me, hence his attempt to steer me to the Seqouia LOL)... 2008 LX570 - the overall driving experience was more pleasing, same "umph" and get up and go, but somehow more quiet... then tune up the ML sound system and WOW - felt like an 18yr blasting the radio...really liked the adjustable suspension - always liked this on the RR, and my wife is demanding that "our" next SUV have it so she doesn't enjoy killing herself getting the kids into their car seats....also, when driving the two, the Lexus just felt more "upscale" - to tell the truth, given the common looks of many Toyota SUVs, I bet other drivers thought that when I was driving the TLC, I was instead in a gussied up Highlander LOL.. the LX570 is hard to confusion with the other Lexus SUVs... my take on things for what it is worth
  • carnutincacarnutinca Member Posts: 35
    I had a $1,000 deposit since August on the new 08 LX570. I got an email from my dealer and test drove it last week for about 15 miles, both around town and freeway. It's undoubtedly the best driving SUV out there. Plenty of power now (I have a 06 LX470) and less body roll. More room in the driver's seat so you don't feel like you are eating the steering wheel (I'm 6'1" but fell like Shaq in my 06 LX). The exterior is very, very similar to the old model. The interior is just like the new LX460--which is pure Lexus. Too many stupid tech things IMO. Also, the cameras are cool but would take some getting used to.

MSRP was right at $84K. Mark up is about 12% on Lexus so invoice is around $74K not including the dealer hold back. My dealer wanted MSRP which I consider a rip off. $90K OTD for this truck is ridiculous. $3K over invoice puts it at $77K which is what I plan to pay for it later this year. December to Remember?
    I drove the LX 570 and got some prices from a local DC dealer. He wanted MSRP, 80K 81K and 83K, nuts to you
    No matter how high price lexus gets it will still sell main reason SUPER RELIABILITY.

I love bmws in everyway but with the software problems to reliability is the main thing that scares me IMO you never have to be scare in a lexus for reliability issues and electronics failure
  • aha4000aha4000 Member Posts: 1
    Just have a test drive today, the lx570 is so impressed. Quieter than my 2008 Rx350 when idle. The noise on highway is also very
    low. Asking salesman to a rugged way, driving in a 80-90 km speed. I can not hear the noise from the floor/ just feel the damping. Third row seats leg space are still limited. Interior finishing is very well, better than/ not always luxrier than my friends' X5, GL550 and Q7. Love the Mark. sound system. Outside finishing is also very well. ( compare the tail , chrome / use the ruler to measure..., you will know what I mean)
    Did you buy and what did you pay
    Interior finishing is very well, better than/ not always luxrier than my friends' X5, GL550 and Q7. Love the Mark. sound system. Outside finishing is also very well.

So ur saying the x5 is more luxurious and better to drive ?

if u driven the ur friends x5 and now lx570 can u compare and detail and tell the difference with ur experience?

Is it as roomy and comfortable and good or better handling ride than the x5?
    I just went to another dealer in Va and they are still want 80K. No dealing on this one

G :mad: reat looking SUV, but I'll wait till Dec
  • e33e33 Member Posts: 8
    I can't believe anyone hasn't mentioned those ugly, gray plastic oversized toggles in the center console. Looks like a mini cooper to me. Those don't belong on a Lexus IMO.
    Don't know why but they REALLY annoy me.
    Finally saw the lx570 in person from the outside very similar to the cruiser but definitely looks better,

It does feel a lot like the cruiser and the interior is also very much like cruiser i honestly expected something different.

But it is a nice big huge SUV but for me to drive i felt its just to big for me and i dont have any kids or a wife or a pet to have that much space.

I would like to sit in it rather than drive in traffic but for long drives i would definitely drive it my self it sure felt very safe and comfortable

IMO better than the other big SUVs but for me i would rather get a smaller SUV x5 cayenne ML
    Well, you know, in true Toyota/Lexus style, those toggles imitate the Range Rover to a tee. Like 'em or not - that's where they got the idea for them. ;)
  • TonyG5003TonyG5003 Member Posts: 9
    Finally... someone else who also thinks those huge console switches are incorrectly placed. I've been thinking that ever since I saw the first pictures months ago. They really annoy me too - I'm afraid they are going to get in the way.
    Can someone tell me what they paid for the 570 ? I would like to see what the average is
    I'm far more annoyed by the non-disappearing 3rd row seats in this thing. It's inexcusable to me, when Ford showed how to do it in 2002, Nissan has caught on now, so has Chrysler, but Toyota/Lexus stubbornly remains with those wierd fold up against the side seats. That's not so bad, but they're a worthless seat when deployed as seats! No foot well. IF I go back to an SUV again, it would be to a Lincoln Navigator, so I'm taking this 570 back off the short list. Love my 430, but Lexus hasn't earned my SUV business yet for the money.
  • mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    They could at least make it removable so we could use the full cargo area which I have done on numerous occasions with my land cruiser. To make it permanent and not have it fold flat is ridiculous.
    You should at least drive the LX before you take it off your list. I am not crazy about the 3rd row seats either but I can live with them if the rest of the truck is a winner. That would certainly not be a deal killer for me.

There will never be anyone back there in my case but maybe a grand kid or two and they don't seem to mind my current LX 3rd row.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• rtribblertribble Member Posts: 45
    You have to go to an independent rear suspension if you want room in the third row seat.
    I don't know why the Toyota Land Cruiser and Lexus 570 continued with the live axle when most others are going to the IRS including the new Toyota Sequoia.
    The live axle is better suited for off road use, but how many of us really intend to take these for serious off roading. That aside, I think the new LX 570 is drop dead gorgeous and love the front end styling. A bit pr icy though.
    I have one of the new Sequoias' and l really like it, the fold flat third row seat is nice and it is the roomiest passenger suv out there. I'd give one a try before I went the Lincoln route but to each his own.
    Very good point here. Just about all the new tech features on the new LX are focused on offroading (such as the new crawl control). That's real handy parking at the local supermarket.
    I keep checking here but still no1 bought a new LX here that can give a good experience rather than test drives which i often read about
    That's because they are so darn expensive, few can afford a new LX
    I wouldn't say few can afford.

Many people can surely afford a new LX.

But they are many options from bmw to mercedes and many rich guys doesn't want a lexus which they say is a luxury toyota they want the status which is bmw and mercedes.
    Did you get your LX570 U said your delivery was in february. its may now :confuse:
    Yep, it arrived on my birthday in April, wow, what a present. I turned down a couple of earlier arrivals because they had RSES, which I did not want. The ride, handling, sound system, interior, seats, power and transmission are all superior to my 470. I even like the exterior and the toggle switches.
    Congratulations to the first owner here.

Why didn't you post your experience its been a long time.

I tried to like the lx570 recently but its just to big for me and the price.

Does it feel very big while driving and parking.

Is it fast enough? Is it comfortable enough?

how good is the driving seat.

Do tell how you feel while driving in detail.

What a great birthday present what color did you choose.

thanks.
    Congratulations to the first owner here.
    thanks, I have seen a few on the streets here in Houston.
    Why didn't you post your experience its been a long time.
    I don't visit this site much, it is pretty quiet.
    I tried to like the lx570 recently but its just to big for me and the price.
    The price is big but the size doesn't seem much larger than my 470. I noticed this right away on my test drive.
    Does it feel very big while driving and parking.
    It turns sharper than my 470, the parking assists and back up camera are a big help. Now the Sequoia I drove, that's BIG
    Is it fast enough? Is it comfortable enough?
    I tried "S" mode shifting yesterday, wow, too fast for an old geezer. If you rated my wife's LS 430 ride as a 9 on a scale of 1 to 10, and my old 470 ride as a 3, my new 570 would rate a 7.
    how good is the driving seat.
    Much more side bolster support than my 470, even my wife notices the improved seats and ride.
    Do tell how you feel while driving in detail.
    I feel very fortunate to have this SUV, my wife says I deserve it. I am very nervous in parking lots, I hate door dings.
    What a great birthday present what color did you choose.
    Mercury Metallic with a gray interior. I initially ordered a Royal Spinel but changed after I saw one, beautiful but too flashy for me.

thanks.
    You're welcome, I suggest a test drive if you have not tried one.
    I have seen around 10+ lx570s.

Is there any other site where its not as quite?

Well I drive my dad land cruiser sometimes which I always felt is very big for me.

I keep thinking whats the point of getting such a big car if your single !

Sequoia I drove, that's BIG

Thats a huge car.

I tried "S" mode shifting yesterday, wow, too fast for an old geezer. If you rated my wife's LS 430 ride as a 9 on a scale of 1 to 10, and my old 470 ride as a 3, my new 570 would rate a 7.

So it means as far as ride is concern not up to the LS standard well of course its suv after all it can't be as good as a sedan.

Much more side bolster support than my 470, even my wife notices the improved seats and ride\

Thats a plus point for seats. U can't buy a car unless the seats are not comfortable enough for you.
    I feel very fortunate to have this SUV, my wife says I deserve it. I am very nervous in parking lots, I hate door dings.

You should be fortunate its a great engineering from lexus its an all weather suv in times of trouble dusty rain snow thunderstorm.

Its also very safe 10 air bags I think.

Yes i guess this is a very very big suv to park especially in small places.

I did not test drive it I did sit inside 3 times. I tried to say to myself its not to big but it is. Well at least for me it is.

I am interested in bmw suv which is not so huge but I am scared with their reliability electronics issue which I have read several times.

For that reason only because I trust lexus engineering and reliability and built in japan i might end getting the small RX which I personally dont like the looks much and its getting really old but I can at least trust the quality.

I want to wait for the new RX but it wont be here till late next year.

So I guess there will be no lx after all maybe sometime in the future.

Do post sometimes about your experience.

thanks.
  • kiiwiikiiwii Member Posts: 318
    My apology if this should be posted somewhere else. For those of you who have driven both the Lexus LX and Toyota Sequoia, would you provide some feedbacks on both? Due to family size, I'm looking for a vehicle that has at least 7 seats. A minivan is a smart choice, but I just can't imagine myself being a "soccer dad" (not that there is anything wrong with it, just personal preference). The new Sequoia is quite roomy with great power, reliability, and price. I haven't had a chance to drive the LX, but I definitely love the toys, style, and the brand image. The only possible drawback on the LX is the limited cargo space. Just my guess. I haven't driven one, so I can't say much on this.
    I currently own a 2007 LX 460 and I have driven the LX 570 and the Sequoia. My preference is the LX but that is, of course, very subjective. Also the LX is quite a bit more expensive. If you need a large vehicle you can't go wrong with either one IMO.

You might also want to include the Landcruiser in the mix as it is almost identical to the LX but costs quite a bit less, plus I was offered an 08 at a big discount. About $12,000. off of msrp. No discounts, in my area on the LX. Happy hunting.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• kiiwiikiiwii Member Posts: 318
    I thought about the Landcruiser. It's a really nice vehicle. Personally, I think Landcruiser and Sequoia may have conflict within the Toyota fleet. Both are similar in terms of size and capacity. Landcruiser is very capable off-road, but Sequoia is bigger and less expensive. Since I keep cars for quite a while, if I plan to get a Landcruiser, I may just pay a bit extra to get the LX.
    if I plan to get a Landcruiser, I may just pay a bit extra to get the LX.

If you can afford,my advice is to definitely get the LX.
This discussion has been closed.