Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Idle and Stalling Problems

Comments

• jessebrownjessebrown Member Posts: 8
    Change throttle body.
  • gums138gums138 Member Posts: 1
    not sure what's wrong with my truck, its a 1999 dodge 1500 sport. every time it rains it takes about a minute or so of turning over for it to finally start. also when I'm driving if i hit a puddle the engine cuts out and takes any where from 1-10 minutes to start. any idea on what the problem might be?
  • jfultz8276jfultz8276 Member Posts: 1
    Try changing you cap and rotor. It may have a crack in it.
  • gonefishing99gonefishing99 Member Posts: 3
    You need to change the coil. I had the exact same experience, seems the coil looses about .2 ohms and doesn't work correctly.
    I just install a new TPS and now my idle speed is at 1150, how do I adjust it back down? There doesn't seem to be an idle adjust screw on this engine.
  • dravens442dravens442 Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2010
    I have a 2000/2001?(dealer told me 2001) Dodge ram 1500 sport, 4x4, ext cab....5.9...Anyhoo, the truck started acting funny, starting with hard gas pedal and the speedo acting crazy then just cutting out...Put it on the scanner at work, speed sensor needed to be replaced...Did that, speedo worked for one day then quit again...Started running like crap, stalling at stop lights. Heard a "poof" sound, figured the cat con blew out...Scanned again, evap code came up....Replaced abs sensor, and checked hoses, no leaks, truck ran fine for 2 days...Started stalling again at lights..No codes showing this time....Someone here at work suggested the AIC or throttle control sensor? ..HELP, I LOVE MY TRUCK :(:cry:
  • tlinktlink Member Posts: 1
    my 08 4.7 will just die. mechanic has changed modules, wiring harnesses, and ignition switch. even when connected to the computer it leaves no code. you have to turn the key to the lock position for it to reset and then it will start. star and my mechanic are stumped. any ideas
  • rcbenderrcbender Member Posts: 3
    The truck has 140K miles and runs good except for hot restarts. If I stop somewhere for a short period while the truck is still hot and then restart it, it will not accelerate and usually stalls out when I stop at the first stop sign etc. Sometimes I can pump the accelerator and it will surge and then stay running. Once I get past this initial hot restart stalling, it will run fine with no more stalling issues. I have replaced Idle valve, TPS, MAP sensor, disassembled and cleaned throttle body but not luck. Someone suggested that it may be the computer chip that switches the truck from cold start to hot start throttle position. What is causing me to stall out?
  • monty1211monty1211 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1994 Dodge Ram Laramie, with 84,000 miles on it. Has been running great until the first week of April, 2010. Took the truck to the Dodge dealership, there was a recall notice on the ignition switch and evaporator canister. The following problem occurred before and after the safety recall: I would drive for 5-6 minutes, stop off at the local gas station, come out and try to restart the truck, hard to start. The engine will crank but not start. Once started, heading down the highway around 60mph, there is a lunge from the transmission, rpm gauge goes to zero, and the engine stalls out. Had the transmission rebuilt in November of '09, I have replaced the (pcv), air control module,and the throttle position sensor. It is currently back in the shop at the local dodge dealership, my belief is there is some sort of electrical problem similar to the safety recall. Does anyone have a solution or a potential answer for the problem? Thank you, Monty
  • joerrjoerr Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 4x4 that will start and run for about 3 seconds then stop. I can keep it running if I step on gas but as soon as I let off it stops again. Check engine light is on. Tried a code reader and it won't read. It just says error. Tried disconnecting battery. This didn't have any effect. Checked all fuses and relays did not find any problems there. With the key in the on position I can hear the fuel pump running and there are various clicking noises in the fuse panel and other places under the hood.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do next?
  • crystal84crystal84 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2010
    I have a 02 Dodge Ram 1500 , while driving it will rev up , like u would tap the gas pedal and the back off , it does this with or with the cruise on .. doesnt do it st speeds less then 45 have had the trans checked no probl there. getting frustrated
    anybody have any ideas ....
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    One of the first things to have checked in surging like that is the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). If it's acting up, it will send signals to the computer suggesting you're goosing the gas pedal.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • jarrettdjarrettd Member Posts: 2
    Hi all. I am not very mechanically inclined and I am hoping for some insight to my problem. Recently my truck started shutting off on left turns. It occasionally does the same thing when I put it in reverse. It always starts right back up again with no issue but I have to be almost at a full stop to take a left turn. Auto Zone showed an error with timing belt OR with the computer. I just dont want to get hosed at the garage. I seem to have weird things going on with the electrical also (random lights and dings popping on and off). This all started after getting my radiator replaced and power washing the grime off my engine and inside hood. Thanks for your time!!
  • jarrettdjarrettd Member Posts: 2
  • dweaver69dweaver69 Member Posts: 1
    I was having problems with the Transmission not staying shifted in fourth gear. Took the Truck to a Transmission Shop. They recommended changing the Throttle Position Sensor. That fixed that problem, but While I was there I cleaned the Idle air control valve. Now the Truck idles around 1600 rpm. I replaced the IACV, and it didn't help matters. This truck has a V-10. with over 200k. Everything else is great. Any help is appreciated.
  • ramtough1ramtough1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 03' dodge 1500 with a 4.7 pickup. I'm have idle problems at stops. Well I had a mechanic lean over to me as to whisper so his boss wouldn't hear said " it's a idle control spring that goes bad. It's a 5minute fix." He kinda pointed to the top of the engine behind the cam. It's just ashame these mechanics have to keep these simple fixes hush. I have been rolled by mechanics with every vehicle I've ever owned. I'm sick of mechanics acting like they are neurosurgeons and getting paid like it too!
  • rdolan5rdolan5 Member Posts: 2
    My 03 ram 4.7 is doing the exact same thing. So far I have changed the MAP sensor & fuel pump. I was told by a local dyno shop to change my idle control valve. Will try that next. If you find your fix, please contact me and I will do the same for you.
  • rdolan5rdolan5 Member Posts: 2
    Exact same thing on my 03 Ram 4.7L. New Jasper engine but the car has 120K. I have changed the fuel pump, MAP sensor, O2 sensors, I bought a new cam and crankshaft sensor but not installed yet. An owner at a local Dyno shop recommended a new idle control valve. Doesn't matter if the engine is cold or hot. 90% of the time after engine start the car will stumble approximately 20 seconds after start-up and last for 10 to 15 seconds. Just about when you want to jump out in traffic! After the engine recovers, it run fine until I shut it down for more than 20 minutes. Please rcbender, when you find out the fix, let me know! I will do the same for you!
  • alpine_alalpine_al Member Posts: 4
    Over a year has passed since I posted a message about my stalling Ram. After trying all the possible easy fixes that I could handle (like the IAC valve), I finally took it to a local mechanic. He found that the problem was a bad crankshaft position sensor. He replaced it with one from NAPA but didn't fit correctly, so he got one from Chrysler and it worked perfectly. I hope this helps you solve your truck's problem.
  • bhob11bhob11 Member Posts: 1
    I have to agree with the guy who said program the ECM or PCM. Had mine hooked up the other day and it was reading that something was wrong with the computer. My truck has been stalling as I come to a stop and have even had it stall out as I'm making a turn through an intersection. When I go in reverse it spits and sputters until I take it out of gear. I have to keep my foot on the gas to keep it running. How can I reprogram the computer. :mad:
  • backpbackp Member Posts: 1
    i have had a 96 and 98 dodge 5.2 L and they were both cat problems,they both came apart inside.now thats what every one alwasy says but i was told that this was a big problem but dodge wont make it public.but on my 96 they paid me back aftere the fix.
  • ernie_menardernie_menard Member Posts: 1
    Have you already checked the vacuum lines at the evaporative canister under the passenger compartment?
  • drago2drago2 Member Posts: 2
    i got a 99 dodge ram 1500, it started stalling out on me, i took it to a couple of shops, and put a lot of money in it,, i replace the ecm, isc, new plugs and wires, tps, timing chain, fuel pump , the trany been rebuilt 6 months ago, newer transfer case, i went to the junk yard and changed out the fuel reel, , but the truck keeps on stalling out, it stalls out in reverse right away and about 10 min. of it warming up, it stalls out when driving forward and coming to a stop,, any idels
    edited October 2010
    I changed the throttlebody and it has cured my stalling completely. And improved the gas mileage too. It cost $250.00 ...........Bill It was the idle control valve and it was built into my trottlebody, yours my be separate attached to it.
  • drago2drago2 Member Posts: 2
    i put a new icv on the throttlebody , i even took the body off and clean it and put new gasket on..
  • whyme12whyme12 Member Posts: 7
    Where is the Idle control spring you are talking about? if looking at front of engine is it on the left or right side? just would like to fix my problem also..lol I have replaced every sensor I could find, and even replaced all 8 coils, and the fuel pump, and replaced the senors on the throttle body!! even new 02sensors trans sensors you name it I replaced it. So if you found out where this spring is could you let me know? sure would like to know what is doing this idle problem. I even had the pcm and all that checked for and upgrade, and they said it dont need one. Thanks for you time, and you have a good day!
  • mcastaneda1mcastaneda1 Member Posts: 1
    I just have one question. Was you check engine light coming on when all this stalling was happening?
  • alpine_alalpine_al Member Posts: 4
    Crap I cant open any of the replys I got back.....lol #187 that is!!
  • squintzsquintz Member Posts: 2
    truck stalls out. must ride break and gas at all times. resets radio and clears memory.no check engine light come on. put in new throttle controll valve,no luck. HELP PLEASE.
  • squintzsquintz Member Posts: 2
  • gidgetsue7gidgetsue7 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Hemi Quad Cab. It has been for a while now stalling when you come to a sudden stop or slow down and come to a complete stop. If you are in a parking lot going slow, for the most part will not stall but has a few times. It usually stalls when driving a long road and have to stop all the way like at a light or stop sign. If I can keep moving with out coming to a complete stop it won't stall. I am so confused about what has to be done to fix the problem. Did anyone have the same problem with the same make and manage to fix it. I feel like this should be a recall issue, but I don't think that will happen so I really need to fix it before a major accident happens. Thank you.
    edited January 2011
    I had the same problem, I changed the throttle body $240.00, and the EGR valve $45.00, that fixed it completely.
    Runs great and gets more gas mileage, done saved more in gas to pay for the fix.
    Throttle body way very simple to change, and EGR valve even easier.

This problem was so dangerous , almost wrecked many times.

I do this every month , take off the oil cap on engine and clean the water out of it, that will help save the EGR valve. The moisture collects in that cap , sounds crazy but works. Clean it and drive it , you might get lucky.

That was a year ago, still running great.

Bill
  • ncutlipncutlip Member Posts: 1
    i have the same problem but i dont have the money to fix it. what is an easier way to fix it?
    edited January 2011
    Buy a bicycle, that's the cheapest. I tried to do it cheaper cost me more , good luck??
  • piratewenchpiratewench Member Posts: 1
    My Dodge Ram pickup "shutter" and dies when I brake unless I am going very very slow. It also dies in reverse usually unless it has been warmed up for quite awhile, has to hit 2000 RPM before it shifts. Any idea what the issue(s) is/are?
  • kens999kens999 Member Posts: 7
    Hello,

I have been having the same idle/stalling issue with my Ram 5.2. Im on my second replacement Idle Air Control and after a couple weeks the problem comes back. If you have since resolved your problem can you please post the solution, I would surely appreciate it.

thanks,
    Ken
    no luck on getting my problem figured out yet! I have changed everything sensor, and all the coils, fuel pump, mapsensor, took it to the dealer to have them hook it up to the computer, and they said everything was fine!! I told them its not not fine cause it still acting up...lol this has been going on for over a yr, and still no luck, and there is no check engine light when it happens. Im going to replace my O2 sensors, and try that cause they havent been replaced yet, but I dont think its those anyway cause I had replaced them long before I had this problem, but wont hurt to try. I will let you know what happens after they are replaced.
    Do you have an EGR valve on your engine? might try cleaning it also. I dont have one on mine, but not all dodge trucks do. Well good luck, and keep me posted if you find the problem with yours, and maybe it is something I havent done on my truck yet...lol
  • robert2011robert2011 Member Posts: 1
    i changes the throttle position sensor and it fixed mine. a 30 dollar part at autozone.
  • kens999kens999 Member Posts: 7
    Im sorry to hear your issue is unresolved, very frustrating Im sure. I am going to try some simple stuff first. From what Ive read I want to get my battery/charging system checked, I am also gonna pull and clean Throttle Body, looked pretty grimey in there anyway. Im leary about replacing the TPS as some here have done as a bad one is supposed to throw a code, and I am not getting any codes. It was also recommended to have my CAT replaced, but again no codes for that either. I will keep yah posted .
    Thanks,
    Ken
    Try keeping the moisture cleaned out of the oil cap, were you put the oil in, that helps too.
  • dclutch1000dclutch1000 Member Posts: 2
  • dclutch1000dclutch1000 Member Posts: 2
    I have been having problems with my 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 2wd stalling in reverse when you shift it from drive to reverse on a slight uphill grade. its acting like there is a brake sticking. I just changed out the u joints and it did not fix the problem, but i thought the u joints were sticking which they were but it is not the only problem. Any ideas will help. It is also not throwing any DTC's
  • nicholas_meadenicholas_meade Member Posts: 2
    remove your throttle body and thoroughly clean it. Carbon buildup causes the throttle plate to stick causing to much air to flow
  • djydjy Member Posts: 1
    MY SON HAD THE SAME ISSUES WITH HIS 98 DODGE. AFTER MUCH USELESS ADVISE AND MUCH EXPENSE OF REPLACING TPS,DIST CAP,ETC, ETC., AN OLD MECHANIC TOLD HIM ABOUT A LOCAL AUTO SHOP TO TAKE IT TO. SO, THIS MORNING, IT GETS HOOKED TO 4TH COMPUTER AND HE FINALLY FINDS OUT THAT IT WAS HIS MAPING SENSOR. HE REPLACED IT, BUT SE LIGHT WAS STILL ON, SO THE MECHANIC HOOKED IT TO COMPUTER TO TURN LIGHT OFF. IT IDLES NOW;NO STALLING,AND RUNS LIKE A TOP. HOPE THIS HELPS RESOLVE YOUR ISSUES. GOOD LUCK!
  • 4x4dakota994x4dakota99 Member Posts: 1
    dont know if this will help. but i have 99 dodge dakota 4x4 5.2l. just had to replace battery and truck started ,but would not idle. so i went to autozone and talk to a friend there. he said their is a battery temp sensor under the battery that some time needs to be replaced,or reset. take battery out and see if theres a flat rubber on battery mounting plate. looks like a drain plug,make sure it moves freely. if it dont move you need to clean it or replace it. it help my truck by be if will help you
    thanks man I will check it out!! I have cleaned, and changed everything I can, and it still acts up. Not all the time but when it does its just nerv racking..lol not sure why the battery sensor might have something to do with it, but with these cars, and trucks now days it can be anything. Next they will have it set up, that you cant start the damn think cause it has a flat...lol
  • blankenship351blankenship351 Member Posts: 1
    I just had the same problem with my 1997 dodge 1500 ram I replaced the Ideler air control valve it seemed to fix it