Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited May 2014 in Subaru

Comments

• famof3kidsfamof3kids Member Posts: 160
    You guys see the 2008 WRX pictures that hit the net today? I'll include the link to one site, hope ok to do so, http://www.speedsportlife.com/2006/09/13/spied-2008-subaru-wrx-prototype/.
    Car is heavily concealed, but, a few things can be seen. Interesting to note the framed glass doors as in the Tribeca. Also the taillights look like LED. New front styling looks they have indeed dropped the Tribeca inspired styling (thank goodness). :)

Mark
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    looks like a chrysler-esqe grille.

regarding hatchback... uh, has there ever been a difference between a 5 door 'wagon' and a 5 door hatchback? I believe the hubbub has always been whether Subaru would see a 3 door hatchback, which I have always denied but especially doubted once all Impreza 2 door production cars were gone.

~Colin
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I addressed the 5-door hatch vs. sport wagon here, but not the 3-door hatch issue.

The question remains however, is the 5-door hatch just another term for the sport wagon that's currently offered,...

Bob
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Bye bye frameless windows. I'm surprised the Impreza got them before the Legacy did, though. I bet the '08 Forester gets these too, then.

LED tails - noticed that too.

I bet this is the WRX wagon, basically. They just made it look less wagony.

Colin: I know it's a tough distinction, but to me it's a wagon if the roof stretches back beyond the C-pillar. Hatches will just have a curved glass that meets the roof about where the glass on a sedan would.

A lot of cars blur the line, though.

I think the spy shots most resemble this:

Move the FMIC to a TMIC and voila.

There should be more headroom and more rear legroom given the extra height and the wheelbase stretch, respectively.

-juice
  • kate5000kate5000 Member Posts: 1,271
    NOOOOOOO!!!! :cry: I want frameless windows! I love them. W/o frameless windows, it's not a subaru.
    I like 'em too, but we're in the minority.

To me, they mean thin pillars and no blind spots. I'm sure the pillars will get thicker now. Also, the doors get heavier.

-juice
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    Kate, I like the idea too, but in practice it makes for a noisy car after a couple years.

It must be a noise related decision, as there have never been strength/safety issues with the frameless.

John
    appears to be very similar to the current JDM Outback. Like the JDM Outback, there is a ribbon at the top with the oval logo splitting that ribbon and the lower grille. The lower grille also has a mesh pattern not unlike the JDM Outback.

Bob
    The Impreza's is a bit more V-shaped, and almost looks like it's split, with something in the middle.

Again, too much camo to tell for sure.

-juice
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    Bob - that emblem on the grille has me puzzled - it definitely appears round, not oval. Not sure how they could incorporate the current oval shape into what we see here. Could we see a new emblem as well?

It's difficult to see the car's character lines w/the camo & white color... hard to tell how aggressive this is. No strongly defined flares. It doesn't scream "WRX" to me... more "GT". Is this the gentrification of the WRX?

I'm interested to see how the C-pillar really looks - the rounded hatch is interesting. Hope they execute the look well. Has potential.
    Jeff, I have larger hi-res images that came directly from B. Priddy (via Edmunds so that I could post on Straightline). These images are almost 5x the size you see here, and I can clearly see the oval logo, and it appears to split the ribbon plane much like the JDM Outback. It's also clear that SOA tried to hide that fact by putting an extra camo bulge at the bottom.

Bob
    The body sides and even the bumpers appear to have bulges tacked on. That's why you really can't see many surfaces.

-juice
    Thanks for clearing that up for me, Bob. That had me puzzled. Sheesh, they're even camo'ing the shape of the emblem!
    Think this is for real, or just part of the "camo?"

Bob
    This would be for GPS and satellite radio, right? I can't see why you'd want to move away from an in-glass antenna for broadcast radio.

It sure is fun to finally have some real spy shots! I wonder if there are others in this series that some other mag is purchasing from Priddy, like what happened w/the "super scoop" Legacy?
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    Bob-
    From the Hi-Res images you've got, is the center of the dash higher and the hump for the gauges lower?

Or does that section rises and lowers ala XT6 aka doorstop aka wedge.

-Dave
    Dave, it's a little hard to tell, but from what I can see the center of the dash does appear to be higher. It's not as high as the shroud over the main instruments, but it looks to be close.

Bob
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    Thanks Bob :)

Ah I omitted to say, "comparing to current models", the center dash is higher and the shroud is lower.

-Dave
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    My guess is the center dash stack is probably higher to accomodate a NAV screen.
    Agree about the NAV, I'm sure it'll be a factory option. I hope the Forester gets one before the redesign.

-juice
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    The top picture looks like a Mazda. It seems somewhat bland. I am not exactly adventerous when it comes to vehicle styling but I would buy it if I were in the market for a car that size.
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    Since we are fairly certain the camo image is the real deal and the clean car is more or less consistent with the camo version (hood scoops are different), I would say this is probably the 2008 Impreza. I am not too thrilled with the grille (Chrysler/Toyota-esque), but the rest looks decent to me.

Craig

P.S. a common reaction has been that it looks like a Mazda, but that's not the case.
    Craig

The camoed image is the real deal. I've heard from someone who was in a position to know.

Bob
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    P.S. a common reaction has been that it looks like a Mazda, but that's not the case.

That's not the case? Meaning it's not a Mazda, or you are telling us it doesn't look like a Mazda?
    Very bland. Once bitten, twice shy, I guess.

We can't blame Subaru. It's the press, they whine about the Tribeca and then the result is Subaru takes absolutly no risks on the new designs.

Kinda looks like a Kia Spectra5 to me. :(

-juice
    No, I CAN blame Subaru. If they don't have convictions about what they design, then this is what you end up with.

Let's hope it looks better in person.

Bob
    Well, a few very vocal folks just couldn't stop bashing the designs. Autoweek and TTAC, basically.

Among the rest, half called it controversial and half actually liked it (LA Times for instance).

You think they were chicken, basically?

-juice
    Assuming this is for real—yes.

It confirms to the world that Subaru is a follower and not a leader when it comes to (grille) styling. It's about as "safe" and as "inoffensive" a design as one could come up with.

Hopefully it will look better in person. Remember, this is not a great image to start with.

Bob
    That's not the case? Meaning it's not a Mazda, or you are telling us it doesn't look like a Mazda?

Many people though the spy shots were of a Mazda because of the body styling and the distrating camo treatment, but careful analysis showed some Subaru-specific suspension and driveline parts (for instance rear-diff) that pegged it to be an AWD Subaru. So it is not a Mazda, even though the styling might suggest Mazda. Most definitely a Subaru based on the running gear under the car.
  • dstew1dstew1 Member Posts: 275
    If that's for real, it's definitely disappointing. I'd almost rather be polarized into finding it ugly than this boring, uninspired effort that is completely void of any passion.

Note that I am a fan of the current Impreza grill, and find the Tribeca to be quite attractive - moreso in person than in photos, but nonetheless.

This may be the first Subaru I've seen in a long time that doesn't seem to have any personality.

Doug
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,162
    It's easy to say when your livelyhood is not at stake. If Impreza bombed similarly to Tribeca, they could start packing your bags and go home - so I'm not surpised.

I bet their Impreza styling decisions were made when it became obvious Tribeca will be a disapointment in sales, but there was not much available on the sales of Impreza with the new nose, hence overly conservative approach.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    I think it actually looks stylish. No more boy-racer look. And, are those window frames I see?
    Tribeca got 'em so probably.

Too bad, frameless doors were light and easy to open/shut. Plus they allowed for very narrow pillars and great visibility.

-juice
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,162
    Never cared for them. And the door closing sound is plain awful, like a trash can lid, especially with windows down.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

Yep; Subaru is slowly ditching the frameless windows. I never minded frameless, but after driving an Acura for 2-3 weeks now, I am amazed at how easily and softly the doors shut. You just have to tap them basically. I was accustomed to slamming with all the Subarus I have owned, as well as my S2000 (due to the springiness in the frameless window glass as it sealed against all the gaskets). The framed Acura doors almost shut themselves!
    I realized I almost never open the windows. So I rarely hear that rattle you're talking about.

Funny because my other car is completely open - a Miata.

-juice
    That rendering has a JDM Outback-style grille. I think the grille we've seen in the actual camo'd photos & in that rendering is either a non-North American grille or the grille for the Outback Sport. I think the Impreza will have a Legacy-style grille. Bottom half of the rendering screams "Matrix" to me.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    The 08 Impreza will be produced here in NA and it's on the legacy platform so it doesn't suprise me.

-mike
    Thought Camry production at SIA ruled out the possibility of Impreza built here, no?
    Didn't hear that but I could be wrong. Camary is made in the GM plant IIRC.

Long live the SIA plant, had my best vehicle ever made there, my 1997 Rodeo!

-mike
    Mike's right. The Impreza will be built here.

Bob
  • rblnrrblnr Member Posts: 124
    After the Tribeca, bland-ish styling is a predictable bummer here. I was hoping for something more along the lines of the Cooper-esque B5 pic I saw once. Kia is what came to mind on first look to me as well, maybe it'll be better in person like the Tribeca.

Great or simply distinctive and good styling might bring new people to the brand -- problem with Subaru's is that they sell themselves after their bought, hence the passionate followers like us. What's the line -- 'Once you get it, you get it'?

Anybody know why the Zapatinas thing didn't work out? The hiring showed they understood the issue.
    They had capacity to add Tribeca, Impreza and Camry production!? :confuse: Really?
    Not really. They had a lot of overcapacity since Isuzu Troopers were no longer being built there. They had been planning to build Imprezas there for some time, and long before the Toyota alliance.

Bob
    Ah. Thanks. Didn't realize the Impreza plan was set in stone or that they had capacity beyond the Isuzu portion (that's supposed to be used up by about 40-50,000 Camrys/year, right?). From nasioc rumors of a NA-only sedan, I guess that's what'd be built here, then. Wonder if all hatches will be built in Gunma.
    Also, the Baja is no longer being made, which means even more production capacity.

Bob
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Also, the Baja is no longer being made, which means even more production capacity.

But that was only 16 units annually. You could've built those in your garage.

:)
    Just to correct Bob, the Trooper was always built in Japan. The Rodeo and Passport were built at SIA. :)

-mike
This discussion has been closed.