Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX

Comments

• aaykayaaykay Member Posts: 539
    I think they can correct mistakes in the 2nd or 3rd year but unfortunately, they will have lost all the momentum of a brand-new introduction (they already have with the 08) and the damage will have been done.

I predict the new 08 will be introduced in the US, with incentives...probably special financing or cash incentives. Good for people like Bob who is dead set on getting one ;) but bad for resale and for the cheapening of the "Impreza" brand.
  • stevecebustevecebu Member Posts: 493
    I think though for ever 1 person who like the "outlandish" looks or the LSD you will have 2+ people who say "wow a nice sedate looking, non-cop attracting, car I can take my clients out in w/o looking like a 23 year old, and it's got VDC so my wife can drive it in the snow car"

I don't think the looks were all that outlandish and I thought it looked good but hey I'm just one customer and my opinion doesn't matter. But sales figures are what the new Subaru is all about. That right there tells me a lot about the new Subaru mentality.
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,163
    I wouldn't worry about incentives hurting resale, unless they get outrageus. WRX had some meaningful incentives several times over last few years - not only APR (almost all the time), but even some real cash. Yet, the resale remains pretty strong - I think the best for Subaru, one of the best in its segment. Even Saab fiasco did not hurt them too much.

I followed book values of my '03 WRX pretty close and it started from so-so level (it was initially too new and too niche for used car market) and some time in the third year it slightly appeciated, if you can believe it. Just for a few months of course, then significantly slow down in depreciation. I guess reliability data came in plus brand awareness went way up. Also Guaranteed Trade Program might help, as people could use it as leverage in their trade negotiations even outside of the brand.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I don't think the looks were all that outlandish and I thought it looked good but hey I'm just one customer and my opinion doesn't matter. But sales figures are what the new Subaru is all about. That right there tells me a lot about the new Subaru mentality.

Well no offense but any company is in the business of making money. In the car business, the more cars you sell, the more money you make. If you think SOA or FHI has any higher calling than pure and simple old fashion capitalism, I think you are sorely mistaken. What mentality would you rather them have? Sit around a board room and dream up a great car that doesn't sell well and costs a ton with technology up the wazzu? SOA and FHI did that, TWICE, and got burnt both times, I've owned 3 or them.

2 XT6s and 1 SVX.

They were all well well ahead of their time in terms of technology, power, etc. But the cost was also very high and didn't sell well. Ever since then, SOA and FHI have been very gun-shy on any kind of vehicle that strays too far from the norm and have tried to focus on selling cars and making profits.

-mike
    Ever since then, SOA and FHI have been very gun-shy on any kind of vehicle that strays too far from the norm and have tried to focus on selling cars and making profits.

That I can understand, but how about witholding 5-speed AT, 6-speed MT from "all new intro", where are HID lights, why telescopic steering wheel wasn't even on Tribeca or Outback until now, why it took 4 years to migrate VDC to lower classes? There are more questions like that.

Subaru is leading in one thing - everything else they are behind, sometimes by as much as two model generations in respective classes. I wouldn't call it a viable market strategy.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

Had telescopic wheels on both my XT6s and my SVX.

If they put the 6MT on the WRX, that would be less incentive to purchase an STi. HIDs? Again, less incentive to buy and STi.

VDC? Not sure why it didn't trickle down or why they couldn't use the telescopic wheel system from the XT6 and SVX on the newer cars, beats me.

I still don't see much competition for these vehicles in the the AWD w/MT market. Very few competitors in the AWD w/AT market as well but more none the less.

Let's see:
    Fusion AWD
    Suzuki AWD
    Matrix/Vibe AWD
    EVO AWD
    Audi A3 AWD
    VW something AWD

Of those Evo and Audi I think are the only ones that offer a MT.

-mike
    I still don't see much competition for these vehicles in the the AWD w/MT market. Very few competitors in the AWD w/AT market as well but more none the less.

It's not about AWD in this segment. It's about having something special for those 25+ grand. A3 has a plush and style, Speed3 has handling and speed (and nice interior), new STR-4 will have 300 hp (number). WRX is bringing AWD, nicer but not really special interior, so-so exterior styling, will see about road manners. Last iteration had too soft steering (I liked my '03 way better). Not the fastest anymore, as STR-4 and Speed3 will be faster. Mind you all of those guys have 6-speed MT, don't they?

Is that enough? It was in 2002. Now - not so sure.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Well, I'm over 60—so there! ;)

Regardless of our ages, I predict this car will do wonders for Subaru.

Bob
    I'm "dead set on getting one?" Where did I say that?

Cheapening the Impreza brand? You gotta be kidding me! This car is clearly a notch or two above the current Impreza in terms of fit, finish, and just about everything else.

Bob
    Well, reading between the lines, the way you have been downplaying the faults and propping up the new car, that is the impression I am getting.

So just to clear the air, you set on getting one and replacing your 06 ? ;)
    I would love to get one, but due to a bunch of rather large upcoming family-related expenses (2 kids in grad school, house upgrades, etc.), probably not for a while. That won't stop me from talking about it though.

You know, a lot of what's being said here is purely subjective (styling!). If you were to "objectively" compare the new Impreza with the outgoing model, there's no comparison. The new one is so much better, it isn't even funny. It will be quieter. It's roomier. You can get NAV. It will ride better. The NVH will be much better. It will match or exceed the current model in terms of performance. I don't know about you, but those are the things I care about.

...And as one who's had 30+ years in design as a career—I like the styling! Yeah, I could find ways of tweaking it so that it's better looking, but I don't find the looks either boring or bland.

Bob
    It's not about AWD in this segment. It's about having something special for those 25+ grand. A3 has a plush and style, Speed3 has handling and speed (and nice interior), new STR-4 will have 300 hp (number). WRX is bringing AWD, nicer but not really special interior, so-so exterior styling, will see about road manners. Last iteration had too soft steering (I liked my '03 way better). Not the fastest anymore, as STR-4 and Speed3 will be faster. Mind you all of those guys have 6-speed MT, don't they?

Is that enough? It was in 2002. Now - not so sure.

Mazda Speed 3 is ok, but FWD, so all that power has to get to the ground somehow, in the rain, snow, or anything short of "perfect" conditions the power won't matter.

SRT4- Same problem as the Mazda Speed, except add in that the NVH will likely be poor, build quality poorer, and overall will not be up to part in terms of quality or workmanship

A3- not sure of the pricing but I'd guess pretty high for a comparably equipped to the WRX.

-mike
    Bob, I'm with you, it's the interior, NVH, handling, etc that will win me over, the exterior is not bad, and the other aspects will more than make up for it's short comings in terms of looks which are subjective anyway.

-mike
    You are right that the new car is definitely a cut above the current version, in terms of "refinement". But "typical" purchasers don't buy a WRX or an STI for "refinement". They buy these models for rowdy, all-out fun. They buy Tribecas and Outbacks/Legacies for "refinement". They buy Foresters for compact-boxy-high-utility.

In terms of performance attributes, I am not sure if the new WRX is where it needs to be, in the 08 model year, once the "refinement" attribute is removed from the mix. That is my "objective" perspective.

Please note that I personally value the "looks" aspect the least (and don't find anything significantly wrong with the looks of the new 08 except for some blandness and the nasty tails), if it comes to the fray with equipment that merits the "2008 redesigned WRX" tag and has performance that can blow the doors off of anything else within the price range. This new introduction falls way short on this score, that it is not even funny.
    A few points here:

Subaru is moving away form the boy-racer crowd a bit with these models. So the old "typical" buyer may not be impressed—but I bet (and Subaru too) there are a ton of other fun-loving buyers out there.

You forget that Subaru is a small car company, and can't include all the fun stuff in one model year like a larger car company can do. A good example of this is the Tribeca. That car should have had the 3.6L engine from the start. They couldn't do it. They didn't have the manpower to do the then-all-new Tribeca with a 3.6 engine. I heard this directly from someone who works for Subaru.

So this year you get the new and improved Impreza body, and over the next few years you can expect to see more mechanical upgrades.

As to "blowing away" anything in it's price range? Is that really important? I think being as good or better than most of its competitors is a more realistic goal.

Bob
  • dstew1dstew1 Member Posts: 275
    You are right that the new car is definitely a cut above the current version, in terms of "refinement". But "typical" purchasers don't buy a WRX or an STI for "refinement".

"Typical" purchasers never even had the option of buying a WRX or STI for refinement prior to now, except in the form of the STI Limited, which I believe was hugely popular upon its release. People who'd always wanted the performance of an STI could finally have one without the boy racer look.

Shoppers who wanted refinement looked elsewhere because they had to; now they don't.

From a marketing standpoint, I don't see how anyone can argue with Subaru's decision to go after consumers who are just outside the fold and try to bring them in, instead of focusing on keeping only their existing hardcore fanbase happy. I think they stand to gain a lot more by trying to embrace a wide marketshare of more mature buyers who, as an added benefit, are better able to afford their cars.

Doug
    From a marketing standpoint, I don't see how anyone can argue with Subaru's decision to go after consumers who are just outside the fold and try to bring them in, instead of focusing on keeping only their existing hardcore fanbase happy. I think they stand to gain a lot more by trying to embrace a wide marketshare of more mature buyers who, as an added benefit, are better able to afford their cars.

Well - the major argument is that such stragety often backfires. Mazda, Nissan in 90s went after Toyota big time. They blanded down their designs, trying to appeal to larger audience. They gave up sporty designs, in terms of both styling and specs. Result? Got nearly wiped out. The turnarounds came both when they returned to their core values and made a point of differentiating from the Big Guy.

I'm not quite saying Subaru is going the same path, but I see some signs of similar approach in their corporate strategy. They are slowly eliminating those "little" things that made them different than everybody else. They keep big ones, bit little ones are going away. If they are not careful, they may lose current owners and not gain enough new ones. I'm almost gone, as there is no car for me in their lineup at the moment, and there are in other brands - the only thing that keeps aroun is the pricing of the possible alternatives and their reliability/cost of ownership issues.

Last car they manufactured that I really wanted was '05 Legacy wgn w/MT. I just had my WRX for too short to switch. Since then they do everything in their power to lose me. I feel I'm already too old for my WRX, but even if not, I simply a slightly larger version of what I have now - but withot losing a thing. Is that too much to ask? Why can't they understand that? Isn't there enough 02-07 WRX wgn owners who think like me or may think like me in couple of years?

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    "I would not be surprised if '09 or early '10 comes with some major powertrain overhaul."

I wouldn't be surprised either, but I have different reasoning. That's when their direct injection technology is due to hit the market, and possibly diesel as well. ;) Subaru seems to do mid-model changes anyway. Like adding the 2.5L to the current Impreza, 3.6L to the Tribeca. I think they're small enough that they can't focus on too many projects at once, so they have to stagger the release of their technology.
  • dstew1dstew1 Member Posts: 275
    I feel I'm already too old for my WRX, but even if not, I simply a slightly larger version of what I have now - but withot losing a thing. Is that too much to ask? Why can't they understand that? Isn't there enough 02-07 WRX wgn owners who think like me or may think like me in couple of years?

It's funny you say that, because that appears to be one of the demographics Subaru is going after. The car will have more interior room, more creature comforts, and a better ride without sacrificing too much in the way of handling.

Obviously you can argue that they are taking things away like LSD in favor of VDC and the brake issue is still unknown it seems, but beyond that the performance remains virtually unchanged.
    I am thinking in Legacy (GT) direction for various reasons. Lets call it "compact-plus", as EPA would classify it as compact (due to footpring and interior capacity), but it obviously is larger that what we usually think as compact: think current Legacy, 3-series, A4, 9-3, V50.

If Legacy get larger and more "Camry like", new WRX were to replace it. I'm afraid it's not getting job done. From what I see it is getting slighlty larger inside, due to wheelbase (which is good), but the anticipated list of features both standard and optional is simply too short for me - and those skimps on some features simply do not help at all. It is still going to be a compact - fast, nicer than $15K+ perhaps, but compact. Which is fine for its audience - I just feel left out in that whole equation, as there is no car for me in next couple of years from my favorite company - at that can be really frustrating.

From number of those WRX wagons sold I do not think I'm as alone, as many would like to tell me. Am I?

2018 430i Gran Coupe

If you compare the '08 Impreza sedan (not 5-door) with say an early-mid 1990s-era Legacy sedan, the exterior dimensions (length, width, wheelbase and height) are within a fraction of an inch of one another. I mention that out simply as a point of reference. The new Impreza is quite a bit roomier than the out-going model, especially for rear seat passengers.

The same holds true with the 5-door—except for the length (and trunk space), which is about 6" shorter.

I hope—expect! the new Impreza to be pretty close to the current Legacy in terms of refinement; by that I mean ride comfort and quietness. Yes, it will be missing some of the Legacy's creature comforts, but most of what's missing is fine with me. I don't want power seats and some of the other rather so-called luxury features found on the Legacy GT.

Bob
    If they put the 6MT on the WRX, that would be less incentive to purchase an STi. HIDs? Again, less incentive to buy and STi.

I'm not buying your argument. I see it as Subaru saving $$$ making the car and maxxing out profit. I fully agree they are in the business to make money. I just think they have made the wrong decisions and are not going to make as much money as they could by alienating loyal customers.
    The Lancer is the only real competition and me thinks it's going to stomp Subaru flat this time around. Mitsu has been running so far in the Red they have forgotten what Black looks like and yet they produce a great looking car. Performance, well we will have to wait and see.
    Too much is missing from the WRX just to make the STI look better and it's probably going to backfire on Subaru as customers are much more educated nowadays.
    Well, I'm over 60—so there!
    Regardless of our ages, I predict this car will do wonders for Subaru.

You have me on the age, that is for certain, :D A good friend of mine who is 59 took one look at pics of the new WRX today when he was over visiting and said it was a very ugly car and no way would he buy one and loves his 2006 Camry which is fully loaded with everything. He said "I don't care how fast it goes it'll look too ugly getting wherever it's going."
    His wife who is actually the same age as my wife both love the new EVO X in a big way!
    He said the EVO looked much better but wouldn't spend $40K on a depreciating asset.
    So that's one Camry owners opinion. I've shown a few cars to my wifes friends and every single one of them picked out the EVO X even among BMW's and a few other cars I'm considering. So you have 3 age brackets and opinions.
    Maybe Subaru will sell a ton of them, but they really screwed up this time unlike back when I bought my 2002 model.
    Last car they manufactured that I really wanted was '05 Legacy wgn w/MT. I just had my WRX for too short to switch. Since then they do everything in their power to lose me. I feel I'm already too old for my WRX, but even if not, I simply a slightly larger version of what I have now - but without losing a thing. Is that too much to ask? Why can't they understand that? Isn't there enough 02-07 WRX wgn owners who think like me or may think like me in couple of years?

Well I'm with you on this one and I'm not alone but a few diehards won't be convinced and it will always be that way. Subaru has done everything they can to say to me as a customer "DON'T BUY ME!"
    I honestly really like the look of the new Accord better (in coupe form) but I need 4 doors so that leaves me less options. But I'm not that old mid 40's and I don't like a "Boy Racer" look. But I don't want a blandmobile either with less good stuff on it than the previous year. Interior tweaks are nice but that's about the only advantage I can see with the 2008 WRX models. Sure to our host losing the LSD is no big deal but to me it is and if it wasn't then have Subaru put it back in the car since it's not a big deal. Great that the new Accord will have 270+HP and the WRX will have what 224HP?
    This doesn't really sound good to me.
    My 2002 looked much better, but less performance with the 2.0 liter.
    The Accord may have 270 hp—all going to the front wheels. Hello torque steer!

No thanks I'll take 224 hp and AWD over the Honda any day of the week.

You honestly think your 2002 WRX looks better than the '08 model? If so we're not even speaking the same language... Have you seen the car in person? I have, and it looks pretty good, I think.

You can rant all you want about the styling and/or content. If you feel so strongly against it, then go and buy the EVO, Accord or whatever. This is what we've got, like it or not. Frankly, I like it—a lot.

Bob
    You honestly think your 2002 WRX looks better than the '08 model? If so we're not even speaking the same language... Have you seen the car in person? I have, and it looks pretty good, I think.

Yes, I honestly feel that the 07 looks better than the 08 model and I have seen the car (08) in person. I don't think the 08 looks "pretty good", even though in a bland sort of way, it does not look objectionable, except for the nasty taillights, which look cheap. I think Subaru made a mistake in moving away from the 06/07 "corporate" grill, after having been panned for the nasty version of it in the Tribeca...in the 06/07 Impreza version, the grill looked really good.

The interior look has definitely improved in the 08 but hard plastics are still all over, based on my observation. In fact, after seeing the 08 in person (steeply raked rear-end thus reducing usable luggage space, lack of roof-rails, narrower tires and - to me - wimpier brakes), I voted against it with my wallet, by immediately special ordering an 07...and glad now that I did so, after hearing about the loss of the LSD and the loss of 9cu.ft of luggage room with the seats up.
    So then in theory, the Pontiac GTO should have outsold the STi since it was priced less and had 400hp v. only 300hp in the STi.

Same arguement as your Honda Accord v. WRX....

As I said, the LSD v. VDC will gain 2-1 sales v. loss of sales as well as the looks.

Everyone I know who's in the Subie community, we are talking hard-core subie folks basically has said they'll wait for the 2nd year STi MY2010 and pick that up. If they needed a car right away they'd go for the 09 STi as that is the PERFORMANCE trim v. the WRX which is pretty much the std. trim level.

As for EVO looks, very subjective as are all looks. So I discount that, then again, I drive my car from the inside, not the outside.... :)

-mike
    Bob Said: The Accord may have 270 hp—all going to the front wheels. Hello torque steer!

Steve says: So Subaru can't figure out how with a brand new platform to squeeze a for more HP and torque out of the motor? C'mon it's a whole new platform with the old engine in it. I mean an Accord with 270HP and you can make it hook up better but even still it's way over the Subie and AWD has a weight penalty.

Bob says: You honestly think your 2002 WRX looks better than the '08 model? If so we're not even speaking the same language... Have you seen the car in person? I have, and it looks pretty good, I think.

Steve says: yeah absolutely my 2002 looked miles better than the new 2008 model by far! Styling wise that is. Of course the newer motor would have been nice but the 2008 has a face only a mother could love.
    Nothing about seeing it in person is going to change it's not a good looking car, period and I'm hardly the only one to say that.

Bob says: You can rant all you want about the styling and/or content. If you feel so strongly against it, then go and buy the EVO, Accord or whatever. This is what we've got, like it or not. Frankly, I like it—a lot.

Steve says: I'm hardly ranting but some people are overlooking a lot of things due to their blind loyalty to the Subaru brand. I want much better styling and of course better content. I do NOT want them taking the good stuff out of the old model and charging the same price. The 2008 WRX has been de contented and gives a better interior but even still why not keep the LSD and the larger brakes or try to be even better that before not just a better interior.
    I will buy whatever I feel like. I have the money to do what I want as I earned it. I do feel strongly as you obviously do, since you are such a strong defender of the "Subaru maiden in distress".
    This is what we've got and I hope people don't buy it so Subaru will get off their laurels and make it better and more competitive.
    So are you first in line to buy a new one Bob? Already on the list?
    The 2008 WRX has been de contented and gives a better interior but even still why not keep the LSD and the larger brakes

Brakes are larger on the 08 than any previous WRX. So you can take that out of the equation.

So really you are griping about an LSD and the looks? C'mon now, all this space wasted on 2 very minor items, with looks being subjective entirely.

-mike
    Steve says: So Subaru can't figure out how with a brand new platform to squeeze a for more HP and torque out of the motor? C'mon it's a whole new platform with the old engine in it. I mean an Accord with 270HP and you can make it hook up better but even still it's way over the Subie and AWD has a weight penalty

I answered that a few posts back. rsholland, "2008 Subaru Impreza WRX" #273, 3 Jul 2007 1:12 pm

"Subaru maiden in distress"

LOL! I think not...

I answered that a few posts back. rsholland, "2008 Subaru Impreza WRX" #269, 3 Jul 2007 11:53 am

Bob
    I think Subaru made a mistake in moving away from the 06/07 "corporate" grill, after having been panned for the nasty version of it in the Tribeca...in the 06/07 Impreza version, the grill looked really good.

Well here's something we can agree on. I've been a huge supporter of the 3-piece grille from day one. Yes, I would much rather have seen it carried over on to the '08 model, and to the complete Subaru lineup. Unfortunately you and I were in a minority here. :(

Bob
    About the brakes, the jury is still out on that. My eyes clearly indicated that they were not the larger GT discs. We will have to wait for the actual specs to arrive.
    Still very early results, but very encourging nonetheless.

Bob

June 2007 sales in Japan:

Impreza made it to #23, with 3,576 units sold. this figure was 176% of last June's sales. Adjusted to a 30 day month, the sales would be 4,126 units.

The Legacy was #25, with 3,128 units sold (63.8%).
    #1 was the Corolla again - 12,446 units.
    #2: Toyota Vitz - 9,356
    #3: Honda Fit - 8,306
    #4: Nissan Serena - 6,711
    #5: Toyota Passo - 6,669
    #10: Nissan March - 4,948
    #20: Nissan Cube - 4,383
    #23: Subaru Impreza - 3,576
    #25: Subaru Legacy - 3,128
    #30: Honda Mobilio - 2,553
    Toyota took 17 spots in the Top 30.

The Impreza figure is 43% above Subaru's monthly forecast (2,500/month).

I answered that a few posts back. rsholland, "2008 Subaru Impreza WRX" #269, 3 Jul 2007 11:53 am

Good to see you are putting forth your vote of confidence with zero financial investment Bob. :P I actually have to buy a car and have to spend the money and buy a car not armchair quarterback buying it.
    Oh and as far as the brakes go we will see. One guy on here says they are smaller. One says they are bigger 2 pot versus 4 pot. yep, well let's see what the actual specs are. It won't help that it's the same engine as before with 224 HP. Better interior no LSD and same engine BUT the same price. Yeah I'm excited now! :confuse:
    Styling is subjective as is anything you won't actually plunk your hard earned green down on.
    So Bob you won't be a potential customer for the new WRX like I will as it's just not in your plans, so how does all your gung ho support help Subaru when you don't buy the car you claim is so great?
    I mean it'd be like me bragging up a Porsche having no real issue while others pointed out the flaws but I'm saying how great it is anyway when i have no intention of buying it in the first place. So it's great that you're a fan but me I am a potential buyer and my vote counts because it involves real money and that's a bit of profit for Subaru or some other company.
    Glad you like the styling on a car you're not going to buy. :surprise:
    I'm not going to buy one right now. Maybe down the road...

You seem to feel that because you're "putting your money where your mouth is," that that your comments hold more value than mine, or anyone else who disagrees with you.

Since I'm a Co-Host of these Edmunds Subie forums, and have been involved with Subaru for over 10 years (currently own 3), as an owner and a member of the Edmunds Subaru community, I think I have every right to comment on whatever Subaru does.

You're relatively new to this forum, so you have no idea what I and others here have contributed to SOA in terms of ideas and influence over the past 10 years or so. Several of us have been invited to Subaru events, and have communicated directly with top SOA executives on what we think of their products. They've listened to us as several of their models reflect changes and improvements that I and others from Edmunds have suggested.

That's all the bragging I'm going to do about myself. I'm sure other long-time Edmunds people here can vouch for my credentials if need be. Glad your planning on spending some money with SOA. I'm sure they will appreciate it.

Bob
    Since I'm a Co-Host of these Edmunds Subie forums, and have been involved with Subaru for over 10 years (currently own 3), as an owner and a member of the Edmunds Subaru community, I think I have every right to comment on whatever Subaru does.

Yeah my buying Subaru's over the years and my family buying them doesn't really qualify me because I'm just a customer who buys cars and not a big shot.
    I'm sure you've contributed a lot and SOA probably does listen to you. They sure don't listen to me.
    I would never infringe on anyones right to have an opinion bob, it's just that for me if I am selling a product and people all say how great or bad it is but don't actually buy i then sure maybe their advice is helpful but the people spending the money have a bit more say in my opinion, now of course you and I and mike as well as many other have bought more than 1 or 2 Subaru's. I know a family that only buys Subaru and each kid had one so that's 3 and the parents had one each and then they had like 2 older ones for beaters, and they just love their cars! But why doesn't Subaru offer loyalty points like some companies?
    Also lets see how the styling fares over time. many people will buy a car just because it's the latest thing. So lets see how well the WRX does over say 2 years of time and see how sales are with the same engine and de-contented from last year and the whole ball of wax. My guess is they are going to have to make the car more rugged looking. Let's also see how well th new Lancer does in comparison because they weren't doing so well before and they really are the closest competitor. marketing types always would prefer to listen to praise than criticism.
    I'm planning on spending money on a new car. My wife is voting Lancer 110% and hates the look of the WRX. I don't know what I'm going to buy yet. But Subaru treated me well before so I'm going to give them a shot, so we shall see.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    this figure was 176% of last June's sales

Um, steve, might want to read those facts again....

We're seeing the same thing in the CR-V thread, it has an ugly underbite and no V6 and no more power yet it's now the best selling SUV in the country.

Subaru has said all along it was going to focus on giving the customer what they want, and an LSD simply isn't on the list for most customers. A nicer interior is probably on nearly everyone's list, and over half of new customers say they will consider a GPS on their next car.
    Yeah my buying Subaru's over the years and my family buying them doesn't really qualify me because I'm just a customer who buys cars and not a big shot.
    I'm sure you've contributed a lot and SOA probably does listen to you. They sure don't listen to me.

"Big shot?" The only reason I and others have been invited to SOA events is because we've earned their respect over the years for what we've said here at Edmunds. They apparently think that what we've said, and have to say, has some value, and so they seek out our advice.

Bob
    this figure was 176% of last June's sales
    Um, steve, might want to read those facts again....

Thanks, but I already read them and yes I'm sure that selling a bunch more units on a car that had poor sales to begin with will see an increase with early adopters and people who want the latest and greatest and I have mentioned that fact more than once.
    Let's see how well they do in the US. In Japan they were 23rd. Let's see how many units they sell and for what months. Figures don't lie, maybe the new car is a wunderkind and will make buyers flock to it in droves and keep doing so for years to come. I man as long as there aren't ay old models left in stock to actually compare them to. But then again new buys won't care about performance anyway because Subaru isn't going after that market. They want a different audience now. The older people who won't buy a Camry and yet have to talk the wife into a family car that's fun for them to drive. "See honey, it's too bland looking to be fun, can we buy it?" :blush:
    "Big shot?" The only reason I and others have been invited to SOA events is because we've earned their respect over the years for what we've said here at Edmunds. They apparently think that what we've said, and have to say, has some value, and so they seek out our advice.

Bob, I've lived in the Philippines now for over 4 years! I know all about it's who you know and not what you know. It's so much a part of the culture here it's inescapable.
    Believe me when someone here knows someone they are almost untouchable. I was friends with the brother of the current Governor and his father was the Governor etc, etc...
    I'm not really into that sort of thing. I know Subaru has people they listen to and this new Subaru looks like it was designed by a committee of bean counters.
    I'm glad the styling appeals to you but it doesn't to me and i really want it to. But I'm the only one speaking up on this except for the guy who says the brakes are smaller and a few guys that don't like the styling also. You power guys namely you Bob and Mike. Just keep saying it doesn't matter. Well it matter to me, but I'm beating a dead horse. The Lancer people don't even bother to talk about their cars. But they do have a model they can drive right now.
    I'm not the sort of person who will ever be invited to a car makers event because I'll say what I really think, good for bad and I don't make excuses for it. People like me are not who Subaru wants to hear from they want to hear what they want to hear. th new design makes bangles BMW's look pretty darn good! :surprise: Did I really say that?!
    Anyway I think I'll be backing off of this since I've stated my opinion and it's not likely to change and neither you or Mike will likely change your opinions either and I respect your opinions. I don't agree with them but I do accept that you believe them.
    It's going to be a while before most of the 2008 cars become available and even long for the STI and the EVO.
    The new 1 series BMW looks pretty sweet tho but $10K more.
    Edmunds is a good company I was reading them at the public library when I was a kid. They were more like a booklet type of thing back then. I rely on Edmunds far more than Consumer Reports and I just think edmunds staff give all their opinions good or bad and I like that and that's usually a lot of people driving the cars.
    So enjoy the styling of the new WRX and let's see how sales do after the initial launch and the specs what are they really, I guess we will know in a few months.
    That is certainly encouraging news for Subaru and also for me, since I own a Subaru now and don't want the company to go under. ;)

I read the sales numbers in the US a couple of days back and the only 2 import makes who had a decline in sales over last year was Subaru and Kia. Did not give me a warm and fuzzy feel about Subaru. :sick:

About the LSD, 99% of the public are completely unaware of what an LSD is, and hopefully will not notice that such a key piece of equipment has been quietly dropped, in favor of an electronic stability system (pricier models like the Spec-B, somes with both the LSD and VSC ;) ). If the sales of the new Impreza take off, it will be good for us Subaru owners. At this point, the only model for which I might plunk down the cash, is the upcoming STI....especially if it came with the SMG type of 6-spd auto-manual transmission....I will be willing to overlook the lack of cargo room and roof-rails, for a non-compromised STI with front/center/rear LSDs. :)

I am almost dead certain that the new Impreza will be introduced in the US market with incentives. We will see shortly. :)
    Again, you know nothing about me, as is clear from this and other posts that try to belittle me. I've never been a "yes man" for Subaru. Go back about 5 years and seek out some of my early comments about the Baja. They we're highly critical of the vehicle. There were many other critical comments regarding other models as well.

Subaru seeks out opinions of others because they want to know from those outside SOA walls—be the opinions be good or bad. On the Tribeca Ride-and-Drive back before the car was on sale, I told the SOA Tribeca Brand Manager that the car needed a larger more torque-friendly engine that's tuned to run on regular gas—and that's not what he wanted to hear.... Guess what? That's what we now have.

Regardless. You have your mind made up about me and the '08 Impreza. So no need to continue with this discussion.

Bob
    I am almost dead certain that the new Impreza will be introduced in the US market with incentives. We will see shortly.

Yeah - probably financing with no cash for first few of months (now everybody has that and this financing is not so special - 5.9 for 60 months - I can almost do that with Costco Executive), then $500 - some time about February-March.

'08 Outback and Legacy already have cash - it took just two months from early intro of refreshed version. Impreza is "all new legend reborn with old guts" - should be good for three-four months, at least ;)

2018 430i Gran Coupe

Impreza is "all new legend reborn with old guts"

That truly sums it up...with a slight modification....reborn with most of the old guts, but with some of the "guts" that made it what it is, MIA. :surprise:
    In the current iteration, among the Imprezas, **only** the WRX got the rear LSD. No other Impreza was given the rear LSD.

In the new 08 version with VDC (stability system) available throughout the range, what is the key differentiator between the 5-spd WRX and the 5-spd downmarket Imprezas, with LSD missing in both instances and VDC available in both ? Turbo engine ? All the "refinement" that keeps being bought up here, would be available throughout the Impreza range, I assume, with the non-WRX-Impreza being MORE refined with a softer ride and a MUCH lower price of entry. :P

At least in the 4EAT version, the WRX version comes with the Center Diff that is missing from the non-WRX Imprezas. Among the sticks, the differences become more academic...so why plunk down several 1000 extra dollars more for a turbo engine and LESS refined ride :P ;) ?
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    I have noticed that Subaru is doing a lot to streamline things and be more of a mass market vehicle. They dropped Legacy wagons, reduced the availability of manual transmissions, and are getting rid of mechanical performance parts (LSD).
    I know Toyota bought a chunk of Subaru recently, is there a possibility this their influence to streamline operations?

All of the WRX pics I have seen are the wagon, is there no sedan being released?
    a car that had poor sales to begin with

And what difference did having an LSD and the 4-pot brakes make back then?

None.

Exactly my point.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    .so why plunk down several 1000 extra dollars more for a turbo engine ?

50-60hp, few second reduction in 0-60 time, aren't the suspensions, tires and wheels different?
    You and me know that...the suspension, the slightly larger brakes, the quicker steering, more power etc.

But what of the common man who is reading through the specs before deciding on which model to buy ? The range that Subaru is supposedly targeting with the new Impreza ? ;) For them, they would care 2 hoots about slightly larger brakes (with the 06/07, you KNOW there is something special in the WRX with the big honking RED colored REX brakes ;) ), when both versions come with 4-wheel disc brakes, when both come with VDC, both come with AWD, when one of them is cheaper AND can run with regular fuel while the other has 20% more power but requires the more expensive Premium fuel, and both have the same legroom/shoulder-room/width/height/length/cargo-room. :P The specs differences become more academic for the common Joe that Subaru seems to be targetting with this new model, :P while the price difference is definitely not academic ;) .
    Aluminum hood too. Plus even the budget-priced TR has some extras inside (map lights, for instance).
This discussion has been closed.