Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    and most don't want to re-upload their music in 16 different places.

You know that for a fact? Uploading files on to other media has never bothered me. I do it all the time with large graphic files. ...And that has nothing to do whether I fit the core demographic.

Thats where it should be

But most likely won't, as most people are lazy.

Bob
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    Thats where it should be

But most likely won't, as most people are lazy.

It will be if that's where Subaru puts the cradle ;)
    Found the following over at nabisco. I believe the guy posting is from a dealer, and has gotten some early details.

Bob

I've been looking at the standard features for all the models, and noticed a few things...

The "base" 2.5i has steel wheels and rear drums...

However, the "premium" 2.5i has alloys, rear discs, 10 speakers, leather steering wheel with audio controls, hill holder (which isnt on the base model), VD, brake assist (whatever that is), and fog lights... So really you don't get much with the "base" 2.5i, and the "premium" 2.5i is $20k

The Outback sport is interesting... 17" wheels (on an OBS? ), VDC, hill holder, front AND rear underguards (whatever those are), side moulding, the raised suspension, and fog lights... Most of that is on top of what the premium already has, so its rather well equiped.

The interesting thing I found about the WRX is that you can't get the telescoping steering wheel on the 2.5i's! Plus, the hill holder is on the WRX now too, along with the "brake assist"...
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    Boy, that's really disappointing about the aux input. :sick: Sounds like best choice now would be that Jazzy Engineering solution, for the non-premium models.
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,162
    Yeah - I thoght the same thing. If 14-grand xA can have it, so should 25K WRX - you'd think.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• stevecebustevecebu Member Posts: 493
    Hint: It was a hyperbola (in other words - exaggeration used for illustration). Plus, I wrote "everything short of..." in front that, which means (I think - English is not my native tongue ) that you came close to complaining about Subaru not being like Ferrari (again - I was exaggerating to make a point), but you did not specifically mentioned Ferrari, of course.

Hyperbole, yes I've got it but with all the comments flying I wanted to be sure what you were really saying. I still hate the style of the new WRX but will try and drive one anyway.
    I don't expect a car to look like a Ferrari and am really considering used options for a car along with new cars at this point an older Porsche along with a new base Impreza, Accord or something might also work for me. No idea yet.
    Looks do matter just see all the complaints about the new Accord, too bland, too bold. It's what drives the industry and my old WRX looked nothing like a Ferrari but at least it looked good! Style is very subjective that's why what I like matters alot to me but not to anyone else. But if a crs style overall is unattractive or to over the top or whatever then that vehicle is gonna lose sales.
    But we already made the decision not to get an STI. Too much money and the direction Subaru is heading won't be for us. Maybe an Impreza base WRX or another model but not an STI. My opinion is that Subaru is going to sell more base Imprezas now because you have AWD and the difference between the base and the WRX being $8K apart makes the $18K base model a bargain regular fuel, and lower insurance and 7/10's of the new WRX. So a base model now is a better option than ever before.
    Still the styling is not for me but the AWD sure is nice.
    You have to drive the cars to see what you like. My butt has bought more cars than my brain. :P
    SOA folks monitor these boards, so I suspect (hope!) they will pass on my suggestions.

I doubt very much they will listen to my suggestions, but then again we will see how it all works out in a couple of years. I'm not an iPod guy either but they really have to have this for the people who are into them. It's not a big deal to have it.

Oh and SOA, if you are listening and I hope you are. I hope you guys think back on your original demographic and spend more time being the best niche AWD car maker with Rally type cars versus the way you are going now.
    I didn't assume anything at all. I was asking you, hence all the question marks. I made that very clear.
    I didn't know you had an early WRX, I didn't know you have a BRAT, I didn't know anything, nor did I imply that I did. All I know is that you've been making a big deal about them dropping the rear viscous limited-slip differential.

You did imply it tho and the way it came across was that 2002 was something or other, anyway it's not a big deal.
    My mother also owned a 2003 base Impreza with a gutless slushbox :(
    but she loved it and My sister ditched her subaru forget what it was when she transferred to Florida and her company gave some big discounts on certain cars. Not sure what she has now. Yeah I have made an issue about the LSD because if you look closely you will see as other have stated that Subaru has made some major alterations OTHER than that to their crs through the packages you can buy.
    All this means is the base model will be a pretty good deal for the money and the others won't be as good a deal for money. The new interior is in the base Impreza as is their AWD, VDC requires the premium pack but for many the $1K will probably be worth it. I don't see the WRX being worth it for the $8K price difference but for sure the base model is looking much better.

You're talking about old school Subies to support your desire for a limited-slip differential, well back then it was 4WD, not AWD, and no limited slips at all. Plus Subaru's origins weren't with performance cars.

Actually I'm just pointing out that I've owned more than 1 subaru and yeah i remember when they had that 3rd headlight option in them. I didn't own one and yeah their 4WD system was different and parts cost up the wazoo to buy if anything broke back then.
    I don't need to justify the lack of a LSD, or anything else. It's a fact, not a problem but getting an extra $8K out of me for a new interior and less performance than last year well that's a wee bit tougher.

yeah Subaru is not doing well in WRC and it shows. It's ok also. lots of other companies will capitalize on it. I don't rally the car but if I did I'd buy used and modify with no warranty worries.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    We agree about the $8k being a stiff price to pay for the upgrade to a WRX, but I disagree about the less performance comment.

The new one will be a little bit lighter, plus it has shorter overhangs to the polar moment of inertia should be improved (i.e. it will turn in quicker).

I realize we bench race cars all the time just reading about them but we should reserve judgment until we can actually drive a 2008 WRX.
    To me the Premium model is the best value by far.

The base is just too stripped. I hope the steelies are at least styled. Rear drums, too. Well, that's how they keep prices down on the Forester X.

The Premium gets a lot of functional, important upgrades.

The Outback Sport is mostly cosmetic. The Premium already has VDC, so you're really only getting two-tone, mouldings, and fake skid plates. 1" bigger rims, but not many functional upgrades.

I'd take a Premium with NAV over an OBS.
    Boy, this has been one busy thread. Yep, the Premium definitely sounds like the way to go, value-wise. I see why Subaru needed to keep the base figure down... for competitive reasons, for folks who only shop price, and for marketing reasons. Same reason they introduced the Outback Basic. Other manufactuers advertise "starting at..." models, and it's always a stripped model when you read the fine print. Subaru had stopped offering models like that for a while, and for folks who don't read the fine print or compare apples to apples, the Subarus started to look too expensive. For some folks it's all about basic transportation, as well, which is cool. Subaru's not neglecting them anymore, but is keeping quality AWD within reach of nearly every new car buyer.
    This may have gotten lost in all the LSD-related posts, but Subaru is offering an optional iPod interface on the new Impreza, so you will be able to use the car's stereo to control your iPod. It's a separate cable that installs to the stereo, and ends in a dock in the center console, separate from the A/V inputs. Part # is H621SFG500, if someone wants to contact Subaru about compatibility with the base Impreza.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    • Auto-up power windows
    This is a no-brainer for the driver's window. It would also be great for the other windows too. Subaru has always stated safety concerns for not offering them, so who knows...

• Auto-open moonroof
    Again, another no-brainer.

• delayed power for accessories
    Again, another no-brainer.

All of these are available from Nissan....So it would be plug and play for the Subarus to get em since they source their switches and a lot of electronics from Nissan.

Also I had the auto-up on the SVX and XT6s....

-mike
    Aren't all the Subaru moonroofs auto-open already? A single touch does it on my Legacy. (It does take 2 touches to close.)
    We agree about the $8k being a stiff price to pay for the upgrade to a WRX, but I disagree about the less performance comment.

Well it does offer less than last year but it also does have some additional features.

I realize we bench race cars all the time just reading about them but we should reserve judgment until we can actually drive a 2008 WRX.

Well there isn't much you can do until the car is released and the look of a car is important to me. But tastes differ from person to person.
    I still think it's overpriced but which we agree on and I also agree that it has to be driven to form a real solid opinion. But that won't be possible for me for a while as the car isn't released in the US yet and I'm not going to be in the US for about 6 months. Then I will need to buy a car within a week! So for me I don't have alot of shopping time once I'm there.
  • aaykayaaykay Member Posts: 539
    The new one will be a little bit lighter,

Yup. The reduction in weight (50 lbs ?), corresponds to the elimination of equipment that came in earlier versions, including the rear viscous LSD, the roof-rails (wagon), the narrower tires, the more "compact" (and lighter duty ?)rear suspension, plastic parts replacing Aluminium in the engine bay, the elimination of the front sub-frame etc.

The VDC adds zero weight, since it uses the existing sensors (available in all Imprezas for the past several years) and according to the logic built into the software/firmware, brakes individual wheels or cuts engine power to prevent bad drivers who don't pay too much attention while driving, from making terrible mistakes. VDC is available from the lowly sub-16K 2.5i model to the top-of-the-line 29K WRX...obviously due to the minimal costs involved in introducing it. VDC also wins brownie points in the brochure and helps in selling to the mass market (lowest common denominator). :P Plus VDC meets the upcoming car "safety" mandates from the Govt and Subaru simply cannot get away from introducing it, since $10K Kias will now come with it. ;)
    Yup. The reduction in weight (100 lbs ?), corresponds to the elimination of equipment that came in earlier versions, including the rear viscous LSD, the roof-rails (wagon), the narrower tires, the more "compact" rear suspension, the elimination of the front sub-frame etc.

Now If I had said that, and of course I have, everyone would jump on me about it. ;)
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,162
    Yup. The reduction in weight (50 lbs ?), corresponds to the elimination of equipment that came in earlier versions, including the rear viscous LSD, the roof-rails (wagon), the narrower tires, the more "compact" (and lighter duty ?)rear suspension, plastic parts replacing Aluminium in the engine bay, the elimination of the front sub-frame etc.

Well, it's a new chassis and new body, so it's hard to say where this reduction really comes from. However, I see your point. When counting, it becomes clear there was some bean counter cheapening going on in quest of meeting price point. All manufacturers do that and they usually do it in places that are not obvious to casual consumer.

My problem with Subaru doing that is that they had always proudly announced that their designs are because it was a "right way", not cheap way. Apparently no more :cry:

2018 430i Gran Coupe

Not on my '06 WRX Limited.

Bob
    I snagged these pics from Top Gear, yes we've seen body clad pics but if the new STi looks like this then it would be miles above the WRX.
    These are CG pics but based on what they think it could look like sans camo.
    If nothing else the car definitely looks cool! :D

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q19/SteveCebu/New_STi-01.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q19/SteveCebu/New_STi-02.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q19/SteveCebu/New_STi-03.jpg
  • gettingwrxgettingwrx Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone know if the 2007 Legacy 2.5I has LSD? I will be getting a WRX but I hope it's not missing something that I have now in my Legacy.
  • dstew1dstew1 Member Posts: 275
    1. Those are obvious fakes that have been floating around since before the new STI (with armor) was even spotted

2. The concept in the photos is hideous; there is way too much going on and it doesn't flow well.

3. You can get a pretty good idea of what the STI is going to look like by going here
    No your 2.5i doesn't have an LSD IIRC.

-mike
  • gettingwrxgettingwrx Member Posts: 7
    Thanks Mike. I guess I can't miss it, if I don't have it now.
    Those images have been up at NASIOC for several months. They exist only in cyberspace, in that they were created in a 3-D software program used by car designers, and that there is no actual vehicle, scaled down or full size. I believe the designer is from Sweden.

Bob
    Had a great day at Pocono today. I should have had my buddy from SOA bring up a 2008 WRX so I could wring it out on the track. Took the Legacy around for a few hotlaps after we finished doing Timing and Scoring. Other than the crappy dry-rotted HTRz Sumitommo tires and 33k brake pads she did pretty well. On the back-straight on the Double Infield I had it up to about 130 before I backed off and started to brake. If the new Impreza handles anything like the legacy folks getting it will be in for a treat. It is loosely based off the Legacy so it should handle similarly.

-mike
    3. You can get a pretty good idea of what the STI is going to look like by going here

Never said the pics were new, I said I grabbed them off of Top Gear and they were posted last week. Also didn't say they were real, I said they were CG as in Computer Graphics of what the car could look like under the camo. Try actually reading what I post first if you intend to criticize it.
    I've seen the STi's with camo on them. I still think these concepts would make a difference if they actually looked good like than rather than just a WRX with a bigger wing on the back (looks wise) Of course (slaps forehead) that's what all new Subaru owners want now, a WRX that is really an STI but looks exactly the same, and no wings on the car either. I should have remembered that. Sorry. :P
    Of course (slaps forehead) that's what all new Subaru owners want now, a WRX that is really an STI but looks exactly the same, and no wings on the car either.

You are correct. The STi Limited actually was the BEST selling STi of all of them. Leather, Moonroof, no huge wing, etc. That is the essence of the Subaru driver these days, and I have to say, I agree with them wholeheartedly, understated, but a beast underneath. That's what makes the LGT/SpecB great too. Very understated but all the goodies underneath.

-mike
    You are correct. The STi Limited actually was the BEST selling STi of all of them. Leather, Moonroof, no huge wing, etc. That is the essence of the Subaru driver these days, and I have to say, I agree with them wholeheartedly, understated, but a beast underneath. That's what makes the LGT/SpecB great too. Very understated but all the goodies underneath.

Oh make no mistake I understand very well that Subaru sold a ton of Limited's and obviously they will follow the money, can't blame them for that. I never had or needed a wing and neither does anyone else so that's the way it is. Plenty of wings available in the aftermarket. Along with any other parts you will need for your Subaru so buy what you want and modify it. If not then you are all set. The warranty is only 3 years anyway so no big deal there.
    And hey if people don't like it that way well too bad because Subaru deserves to make money and doesn't need anyone who doesn't want a car they way they make it. Lots of other brands for those people who are unhappy with them.
  • dstew1dstew1 Member Posts: 275
    Never said the pics were new, I said I grabbed them off of Top Gear and they were posted last week. Also didn't say they were real, I said they were CG as in Computer Graphics of what the car could look like under the camo. Try actually reading what I post first if you intend to criticize it.

I read what you wrote; but you also said that they were someone's prediction of what the car would look like without camo, which is not accurate since those were generated (and posted on every Subaru forum on the net)prior to the camoflauged versions even being spotted, meaning they were based solely on pure fantasy. The car in those photos bears little resemblence to the camo'd STI we've since seen skirting around Germany. It was not meant as a criticism of what you wrote, only clarification.
    And there's understeer. Plenty of it. Part of this comes from Subaru's new Vehicle Dynamics Control, a system for stability and traction control. Although it can be disabled, its presence in an all-wheel-drive package has forced the elimination of the car's limited-slip rear differential, which had substantially improved the cornering attitude of the previous WRX.

Taken from the article above it really clarifies a few things and yes I did read it posted better slalom numbers. 3 mph or so faster but lots of body roll and the video showed exactly what I thought it would. Subaru will probably sell a lot of these cars but I think enthusiasts will shy away from the car. But the word Camry comes up a lot when Edmunds talks about the WRX. Also I think Motor Trend will appeal to some posters in this forum as they really don't say anything negative about the car. For me the above says it all along with the video and watching the car while it's performing. If you look you can see the back end really digs in and the front wheels seem to come up a bit high on the 0-60 launch.
    The review and the video combined with all I have learned about the 2008 Impreza has caused me to put it at the bottom of my list of cars to buy. If I was in the US right now I'd be calling up dealerships to buy a 2007 WRX wagon, I'd get a good deal and good performance and more cargo room, better looks.
    People who sit in a Camry are not going to buy a Subaru. The Camry is just so comfortable and the Accord is really good as well. subaru I think got cocky with their pricing and it's all in the above article and $27K is just too much for a WRX IMO.
    You can buy a 2007 Honda Accord V6 with leather interior and a Nav system for that!
    AWD is good but it's not that good.
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    An ugly hatch, doughy personality, and no extra power, plus increased competition may start the death-knell for the WRX.

The Next Lancer Ralliart should be able to take care of this has-been.

And strangly, this article hits, and misses, on a salient point.

V6 Camry does 0-60 in six seconds. WRX's performance, and mission, isn't so unique anymore, beside the AWD. The MazdaSpeed is faster, and better-looking, and starts cheaper!

At least it still has a stick, although the way things are going, it may not have one next time. Soft is in at Subaru. Way to lose your identity. ;)

DrFill
    reduction in weight (50 lbs ?), corresponds to the elimination of equipment that came in earlier versions, including the rear viscous LSD, the roof-rails (wagon), the narrower tires, the more "compact" (and lighter duty ?)rear suspension, plastic parts replacing Aluminium in the engine bay, the elimination of the front sub-frame etc.

I doubt a viscous LSD weighs measurably more than an open differential.

Roof rails save some weight, but that's offset by using less aluminum.

10mm narrower tires must not weight more than a few ounces less than before. Not a significant difference here.

I would not assume the rear suspension was lighter duty. The old one was a plain old strut, nothing special. The new one may be more compact, but it's more complex and advanced by a long shot. You imply it's lighter duty but note that Subaru used the struts on its smaller cars and now uses a design derived from its heavier duty models.

Plastic is likely lighter than aluminum, sure.
  • subytrojansubytrojan Member Posts: 120
    Hi All,

I wrote the Second Opinion piece for the Inside Line Full Test of the new 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX.

You can read my pre-edited piece and some of my thoughts on the car on my CarSpace blog.
    http://www.carspace.com/blogs/theoutsideline/Inside-Line-Full-Test-2008-Subaru

Any and all questions are welcome on here or through CarSpace. My work AIM screenname is "LWongEdmunds" if you would like to contact me that way.
    Harsh review, no doubt.

2nd opinion seems to contradict the first:

the new WRX does everything better than its predecessor — but not by much

And the funny thing is that editor owns a tuned 04 model.

Only significant changes in performance measure are in braking and slalom (both better).

From the video, the springs do seem too soft. That thing rolls around all over the place. Wonder what size the sway bars are.

Edit: speak of the devil, his post creeped in just before mine! :D
    So you felt the outgoing model didn't roll any less?

And didn't feel the rear LSD made any difference?
    I wrote the Second Opinion piece for the Inside Line Full Test of the new 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX.

Thanks for writing it although I've read a few reviews from other magazines and the New subaru isn't really getting an enthusiastic welcome especially from the guys who used to buy them. Oh sure guys who want a cushy ride and better sound insulation etc... but why not buy a Camry if what they want? Right now I'd say 60% are opposed to it being better but I've seen some tempered reviews where it's called an ugly toyota that drives poorly.
    Magazine reviews. I'm glad you liked the car, but for me it just dropped into last place. I can get VDC with the base model and the AWD as well. It has a lot of body roll for a sporty car. bye-bye rally roots. I think in this race the EVO is going to stomp Subaru flat with their EVO yes compared to the STI not the WRX and I think the Lancer Ralliart will brutalize the WRX. It's got it beat all over just in looks alone.
    Mitsubishi really needs something to pull it's fat out of the fire. They are losing money everyday. I think they put more thought into their car and it shows. Subaru went for the old man approach because of the increased sales of the Limited ie no spoiler.
    I'll bet it hurts them in the long run tho. Subie is a niche market car maker and breaking out of that niche isn't going to happen. The sooner they face that fact he better for their customers. VW is struggling as well and many other car makers left a long time ago for various reasons.
    What amazes me is all the guys who like it aren't in the market to buy one within 6 months.
    Easy to like a car you won't spend your own money on.
    I think the bad press is going to hurt them.

SubyTrojan just curious but who wrote the first review?
    You seem to think your opinion is of more value than others here simply because you're putting money where your mouth is—as you've told us a bunch of times.

I can't think of anything more arrogant!

You have voiced your displeasure with the new WRX to the point that it's old and tiresome. There's nothing new that you've added to the discussion. It's just constant whining. Go buy your EVO or Accord since the WRX doesn't measure up to your standards—and let's move on.

Bob
    I might also add that steve keeps comparing the WRX to an Accord and a Camry, of which there is zero in common in terms of anything other than price.

Shall we start complaining that the Ford Ranger is way way better than the Camry because it can carry more cargo and is cheaper? That's what he is saying here when he tries to compare the Accord/Camry to an Impreza....

-mike
    guys who want a cushy ride and better sound insulation etc... but why not buy a Camry if what they want?

You go from one extreme to the other. Give us a break. It's all or nothing for you. This is why everyone argues with you, your opinions are too polar.

The new 2008 slaloms significantly quicker (better transient handling) and stops better yet probably has a better ride to go with it, plus a roomier trunk. That makes it a Camry?! :confuse:

The only person here that's driven one says it's better than the old one, and didn't notice any loss of handling for the lack of a rear LSD.

I just don't see the major sacrifices you're talking about. OK, there's lots of body roll, but there was on the old one, too. All season tires, same thing, why do you think we call them BLOtenzas? That's not new.

I drive a big Toyota, so believe me, I'm fully aware of how they drive. You get a serene, quiet, smooth ride, but you sacrifice handling COMPLETELY. Forget about quick slaloms, you wouldn't even bother trying to drive a big Toyota like that.

Honestly, go drive a Camry again, then rejoin this thread. I think we'll all enjoy it much more.
    ateixeira, I have a lightly modded 2004 WRX Sedan. What I was trying to do was compare a stock 2002-2007 WRX to the stock 2008. The editing of my piece seemed to change that.

Please read what I originally wrote on my CarSpace blog. http://www.carspace.com/blogs/theoutsideline/Inside-Line-Full-Test-2008-Subaru

The overall package is better on the 2008 WRX compared to the stock 2002-2007 WRX. Performance is the same to marginally better (compared to a stock 2006-2007 WRX). The new car is easily a better daily driver.
    Body roll felt about the same as my 2004 WRX when it was stock with stock wheels and tires.

The replacement of the rear LSD with an open diff didn't adversely affect the handling of the vehicle on a twisty mountain road (Glendora Mountain Road). I'm guessing perhaps only autocrossers would really notice the difference. I'm more of a road course guy and would have loved to take the new car on to the track like Motor Trend did.
    Who wrote the first review? You should see Josh Jacquot's name clearly at the beginning of the article. :shrug: He's our Senior Road Test Editor. He used to write for Sport Compact Car before coming here a couple of years ago(?).

Please see the reply to ateixeira a few minutes ago. Overall, the stock 2008 WRX is better than a stock 2002-2007 WRX.
    You keep mentioning stock 2002-2007 WRX. I think you need to separate out the stock 2002-2005 from the stock 2006-2007, since the 2.5L engine makes a WORLD of difference. Bottomline, the power/torque comes on slightly sooner in the new model but fades away quicker than the 2006-2007 model, which accounts for the slower quarter mile and identical 0-60 (when compared to the 2006-2007 - NOT 2002-2005).

Your 2004 with the 2.0L was a pure rubberband in the power delivery department and I am not surprised that you are thrilled with the 2008.

You need to post your impressions (if any) after comparing it to the outgoing model (2006-2007) and compare it with the incoming model (2008)....which was what the "First Impressions" were all about and I believe he was right on the money. Comparing your 2004 to the 2008 from a PERFORMANCE standpoint, is not valid, since there is a world of difference between the real outgoing model (2006-2007) and your 2.0L model.
    The review was certainly harsh and mirrors my thoughts on the new 2008 model, even though I have not driven it. Seems like they also messed up the steering feel, which is a biggie for me.
    I drove a stock 2006 WRX before I submitted my final piece. Perhaps you should read what I posted in the link I provided earlier.

As far as I know, the handling and interior of the 2006-2007 WRX is the same as the 2005 WRX. The 2005 WRX is pretty much the same as the 2002-2004 WRX save for the updated interior.
    I would not assume the rear suspension was lighter duty. The old one was a plain old strut, nothing special. The new one may be more compact, but it's more complex and advanced by a long shot. You imply it's lighter duty but note that Subaru used the struts on its smaller cars and now uses a design derived from its heavier duty models.

Actually, Honda also uses the term "compact" to describe the Double Wishbone employed in their bottom-feeder Civic (the Civic incidentally, has had the design similar to the 08 WRX with the struts in the front and "compact" Double Wishbones in the rear, for a couple of generations but I don't recall anybody praising the Civic's handling and dissing the Impreza's handling till date ;) ), while they don't use the term "compact" to describe the Double-wishbone in their Accord based brethren like the TSX or even the Accord itself.

Thus when they stated that the Impreza rear suspension is a "compact" double wishbone, I tend to think it is a lighter duty version when compared to their strut-based design or even the heavier duty multi-link suspension in the Legacy-based models. Obviously, there is no comparison with the huge Double-wishbones employed in the Tribeca, from a lighter/heavier duty perspective, other than the term "Double Wishbone". :blush:

This is one strike against the "modding" crowd, since they will not be able to replace their DB based suspension as readily/cheaply as they could replace their struts.
    Actually, Honda also uses the term "compact" to describe the Double Wishbone employed in their bottom-feeder Civic (the Civic incidentally, has had the design similar to the 08 WRX with the struts in the front and "compact" Double Wishbones in the rear, for a couple of generations but I don't recall anybody praising the Civic's handling and dissing the Impreza's handling till date ), while they don't use the term "compact" to describe the Double-wishbone in their Accord based brethren like the TSX or even the Accord itself.

The civic which the Acura Integra Type R is based off of is highly regarded as one of the best, if not THE best handling sports compact car ever produced. It has double rear wishbone suspension, so I guess that's a bad thing! haaaaaa

-mike
    Mike, the Acura Integra (the basis for the Type-R), was the LAST generation of the Civic platform, which did not have the "compact" designation for the Double Wishbones and had Double Wishbones in the Front AND the rear.

I used to have a GSR (Type-R's little brother with slightly less HP and without the LSD) and used to love the handling of that car.
This discussion has been closed.