Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX

Comments

• bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    maybe, but what's up with a 7 passenger AWD getting the same MPG as a compact AWD? I guess performance.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Yes the WRX is essentially a street legal race car. I currently race a stock '94 Legacy Turbo, and the WRX is a few steps well beyond that. So essentially yes the performance is what dings the milage. You don't get something for nothing.

-mike
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Gearing is the secret.

Fact is, in the city the WRX will probably do better, as long as you're not pushing it in to the boost all day long.

Out on the highway, though, it will be geared for immediate response. A large displacement V6 can be geared taller.

An extreme example is the 2004 Subaru Forester XT, which had (IIRC) 4.77 gears, i.e. very short. 0-60 came in 5.3 seconds in a C&D test, which is quicker than the Lamborghini Countache 5000S supercar. :surprise:

Not surprisingly mileage reports were terrible - people complained loudly and were only going 250 miles per tankful.

Subaru relaxed the gearing, I think for MY2006. It's not as quick, but now you can go 300+ miles per tank.

The gas tank is rather small, at just 15.9 gallons.

Imagine if you could pick your final drive ratio, what gear would you choose? Power or economy? It's very tough to have both.
  • aaykayaaykay Member Posts: 539
    Are you certain that the Ford Freestyle gets 20 City/26 hwy ? A neighbor of ours had one and I think he mentioned that the best he could manage in over 12,000 miles, was around 23mpg on an all hwy trip. He was lucky if he could manage 14-15mpg in the city.

Are we talking about the same vehicle ? :confuse: He is certainly not someone I would classify as a lead foot.
    The EPA rated it 20/27 for FWD, 19/24 with AWD (per ConsumerGuide June 2006).

That's before the EPA would have adjusted numbers down for 2008 (instead the Taurus X replaced it, with a new powertrain).

The mileage threads over there have wild variations, from as little as 15mpg all the way up to 30mpg and beyond.

As they say, YMMV. Consumer Guide got 18.7mpg. Consumer Reports was also in the teens, I forget exactly how much.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    I have a Freestyle with 58,000 miles FWD. My last tank was exactly 25mpg driving 75%hwy at 65mph & the rest suburbs. I've been close to 30mpg on long road trips 100%hwy, and my wife has seen 19mpg on 100% suburb, but generally it's in the low to mid 20s with mixed driving.

But I can see how performance cars would get less.
    Well for all the nay-sayers of the WRX not having an LSD. I just read C&D and it appears that the EVO MR will not even have a manual transmission! haaaa

So now you guys are free to rip on the tip-tronic super electronic EVO MR!

-mike
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    Well for all the nay-sayers of the WRX not having an LSD. I just read C&D and it appears that the EVO MR will not even have a manual transmission! haaaa

-mike

Because one thing sucks doesn't mean there aren't worse alternatives. Mitsubishi doesn't seem long for the US anyway.
  • xyzzerxyzzer Member Posts: 14
    I would not laugh about EVO. It looks better - not like MazdaSpeed, which the Subie looks like, but a bit like a more aggresive Volvo.
    Also, the transmission might be SEMI-automatic, but it's got the twin clutch, plus automatic is GOOD in traffic. I learned about that when I switched back to manual on the new WRX.
    I would not buy an Evo today anyways, since I need the cargo capacity of my WRX hatch. :)

As You can see I fit into a bucket of people who want an all-in-one car, in which case the new WRX is a nice fit for me.
    If I had double the money I got I might get a Prius for everyday milage and cargo and an Evo a a cool-looking AWD sports car for fun driving and AutoX.
    The Twin-clutch automatics are still not quite there yet. IIRC, the VW with it hasn't really caught on yet.

As for looks, that's 100% subjective so I won't comment on that. (looks like a hopped up galant from about 2 generations ago IMHO)

I just find it funny that people were ripping on the WRX for having traction control and ABLS, yet it still has a real transmission, whereas the latest and greatest EVO is essentially an automatic...

-mike
  • tiff_ctiff_c Member Posts: 531

New WRX does not have a LSD and that's too bad, the EVO X will not initially ship with the paddle shifters, and does come with a more tuneable 5 spd which is what I would get if the price was right It's about $26K for the 5 spd in Japan. So if the Evo X has the 5 spd in the US (very unlikely) then i'd buy one. Having the dual clutch auto tranny is a way to sneak an automatic into the EVO so they can sell more cars. This is no secret as they state it in many articles I've read.
    Subaru has said the same thing about the WRX. The STi is still under wraps but maybe it has a chance to really blast the EVO X. No way to know until they are driven hard in magazine comparison reviews. The older EVO MR's will be a veritable bargain now.
    I can't blame Mitsubishi since they really are on their last legs and desperately need a saleable car. The big problem will be their dealers who will price gouge and drive up prices as the car will be hot for a while. That will drive away customers and in the end I think it won't work.
    They really need good dealers and push the car out at a low price. If they can sell it in Japan for $26K they can sell it here for that as well.
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    It's about $26K for the 5 spd in Japan

That's something I have hard time to believe in. US has effectively the lowest prices in the world - often by as much as 30-50%. The price may be real, just the config may be quite off what we get here.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

A while back you could get a Legacy turbo in Japan for $22k. The prices don't really translate well, it all depends on exchange rate fluctuations.

Right now it's much higher because the US Dollar is in the toilet.
    Exactly right. Anything that is imported from abroad, will be costlier because of the USD's miserable exchange rate. Even the Canadian $ has caught up to the US dollar.

I remember the days when traveling to Europe and the Euro was worth around 80 US cents. That was just a few short years back...in 2001 !
    I get even better numbers with an even larger vehicle with true 8-seater capacity (not the fake "7 seater" capacity that a lot of SUVs and cross-overs claim)...the Honda Odyssey (EX-L with NAV).

On all hwy kind of trips, the mileage is phenomenal at over 30mpg (30-34mpg), depending on how much above 70mph I stay, during the trip. The in-city mileage ranges from 18-21, again depending on conditions.

But I guess the 5-speed Auto in the Honda is geared for better mileage and the VCM (variable cylinder mgmt) helps a lot during hwy trips.

The WRX (07 4EAT) is used mostly in mixed driving conditions and till date (7000 miles) it has been coming up with mileage in the 19-23mpg range, during normal driving conditions (spirited driving in both the city and hwy). The best mileage I have gotten in the WRX till date, was 24mpg during a recent trip...but the car was loaded down with people, luggage and also a big roof-rack (14cu ft), under mostly 75-80mph conditions (posted Spd limit 70mph). The roof-rack obviously was not very helpful for the mileage. The Odyssey under the same conditions and the same kind of load and speed, might have yielded 30+mpg easily. Also, I am guessing the WRX might get better mileage after around 20K or so (my Odyssey improved a lot after 20K).
  • tiff_ctiff_c Member Posts: 531
    It's about $26K for the 5 spd in Japan

That's something I have hard time to believe in. US has effectively the lowest prices in the world - often by as much as 30-50%. The price may be real, just the config may be quite off what we get here.

Well it's on several sites so they just converted it from Yen to dollars.
    I can't find the article but prices overseas don't concern me very much as I live here. For sure the GSR will be about $30K but if it was $26K they'd probably help to dig Mitsubishi out of the big financial hole it has been in lately.
    Yeah, a bigger engine can also be geared taller.

Look at the Corvette - 6th gear is ultra tall, I think the ratio is 0.5:1, something like that, and that's how it gets an EPA rating of 28mpg highway.

I believe that's better than the WRX.
    Yup, also why would one compare an Oddysey to a WRX? Totally different classes of vehicles, etc.

-mike
    Yeah, Subaru has to compete with the MazdaSpeed3, Caliber SRT-4, GTI and R32, and maybe the A3 Quattro.

Personally, I think if you're looking at MPG first, before even driving it, you're looking at the wrong car. The turbos require premium and will use lots of it when driven the way they're intended to be.

The 2.5i models (across the Subaru range) do well compared to AWD competitors, but that's about it.
    GTI, speed3, SRT4 aren't even a consideration due to no awd, none of those have AWD. Anyone who compares them clearly doesn't need AWD or see the relevance of it in the driving experience.

:)

-mike
    Whether you like it or not (or regardless of what you think is relevant comparison), those vehicles are exactly cross-shopped competition. Just ask Subaru marketing (not engineering) staff - the wallets of those ignorant non-AWD revearing people who think about buying Speed3, SRT-4 or GTI are exactly the wallets they'd like to tap into. We could talk to them and convince them that AWD is a better choice than gorgous looks and interior of Speed3 or better power on SRT - no doubt about that. But simply dismissing it as irrelevant, cause it does not conform to your religion of AWD, is not making Subaru any favors. I know, it would be nice to have a class of one and then rave about best sales/performance/looks in the class, but life is not that easy.

It is what "going mainstream" means: trying to capture people who do not have particular attachment to AWD, but what similarly sized, priced, looking, and performing vehicle. You can have cake (go mainstream) and eat it (stay niche), too Mike.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

People shopping for a pocket rocket will consider those, though AWD may be what seals the deal on a WRX.
    Of course, but that's not the point. The point is some people with money to spend find it relevant to cross-shop vehicles with different propulsion scheme.

I would actually say most people (even those shopping for fast cars) do not care if the car is front, rear, all wheel drive or happen to be jet-engine thrust propelled. All they care is how it looks inside and out, how fast it is and what gizmos they get - the order of those three things depends on the person. And I can vouch for it - four years ago - yest fast and AWD was all I cared about. Today I'm actually ready to trade some goodies for type of drive or speed (or even both :surprise: ).

New WRX did not impress me at all. Don't care for looks, interior is just hum-drum. Absolutely nothing special - not for 25-30K. It simply does not seem to be much better than mine - and times have changed. So I'd rather keep mine and when time comes I'd get something else.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

You are inherently biased, because you chose to buy what you liked. We all are, that's why we make the choice to buy what we did.

Impreza sales are up, Subaru just had their best September ever.

Impreza sales are up, Subaru just had their best September ever.

What did they sell? Was it due to a final blow-out of the '07s? One of my co-workers got a SCREAMING deal on an Impreza 2.5i base, so I know they are blowin' them out a bit.
    If Subaru thinks they'll take on the big boys and go mainstream they are on crack. AWD and handling is their niche, they should focus on that. I guess I personally could care less about looks as I'm a true racer a purist in terms of function over form. Then again I've driven 1000s of miles w/o a radio on in my car just to listen to the engine. Give me a car that brakes well, drives well, and handles in any kind of weather and you've got a seller. Then again I had my 05 LGT Wagon at the track last week and was keeping up with the rest of the big-boys in the Instructor group...

Personally I'd put the Fusion more in a class with the WRX due to the AWD at least available.

As I've said before, we'll see how much the Mazdaspeed 3 drivers like it when they are wrapped around a pole in the rain or snow :)

-mike
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Impreza sales are up, Subaru just had their best September ever

What did they sell, 07's or 08's. Subaru sales report lumps both together.
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    From a nasioc post:

07 model:
    July 3565
    Aug 3250
    Sep 1011

08 model:
    July 72
    Aug 1090
    Sept 3184

So for September, the '07 model accounted for less than a quarter of total Impreza sales, but was certainly necessary to set record numbers. We'll really have to wait to see how Subaru fares once the '07s are sold out, but I'd say the trend is good, particularly taking into account the negative initial reaction to the '08 from some current WRX owners.
    I see - having different opinion than yours is being biased. I think you should stop reading GM forums for a little while ;)

All I'm saying is, being a Subaru customer who is actually happy with his current product, I cannot honestly say that if a tree fell on my car, I would be first in line to buy the new one. Part of it is because I want a class better vehicle. But another part is I'm quite disapointed with it. If I had hard limit of 30K, I would still likely look at something else - and look hard. Moreover, regardless of what Mike thinks about relevance of non-AWD competition, I would look at FWD cars. Which makes them direct competition of of WRX (as much as 2.5i is in direct competition for customers of Civic, Rabbit and Corolla).

So, if Subaru can't easily sell a car to its existing customer who like its current product, something is not right.

I would not get too excited about one-month sale numbers. There are plenty of examples of initial hits going bust very quickly. There is always a pool of people who want to be first on the block - the real question is about those who don't mind waiting and are not committed. And that we will see no earlier than in January-February.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

I did say "we all are (biased)". ;)

Subaru didn't feel that there were enough Impreza buyers before, so they're trying to appeal to more mainstream buyers that might have been alienated before by the cheap materials or cramped interior.

They may have to lose a few to gain a few others.

So, if Subaru can't easily sell a car to its existing customer who like its current product, something is not right.

Well, yes and no. The WRX was a major departure for them. The demographics changed rather substantially when the WRX came out.

So this strategy worked for them before, i.e. appealing to a non-core customer.

Bottom line: Subaru has about 1% market share. They cannot limit their target audience to that 1%. They cannot ignore the other 99%, in other words.
    My problem with your logic is that interior is not all that great! I saw it - the radio still looks like made in 1999 (perhaps sounds better), the color scheme is putting you to sleep, the seats are simply unsupportive. It is "more refined" than than before (whatever that actually means - tell me), but not nearly as much as it should be if they want to charge 25-30K for car without sunroof, leather sport edge taken off. It is still miles away from its non-AWD competition that is even cheaper! Same with equipment and options - no HID light (you can get it in 20K Mazda3), no sunroof, no leather. So where the heck is that mainstream???!!! Only in front end exterior styling (and that is not a good thing) and space (that is a good thing). Forgive me - but it's simply not enough.

I agree with you - if the tradeoff is equitable, I could forgo the soft steering feel or no-so-hot styling. But it is not equitable.

Bottom line: Subaru has 1% market share. With this offering they are risking losing half of the current holdings, but they did bring not offer anything above and beyond what mainstream buyer (who BTW doesn't even know if their car is FWD, RWD or AWD, and what those abbreviations actually mean) is looking for if they are ready to shell out this much money. If I was non-AWD freak looking for a small pocket-rocket, I would see no compelling reason to buy WRX over its price-matched competition - ESPECIALLY if I had "mainstream" tastes.

By the way - 2.5i is a completely different picture. I think it is a steal for that money, if you live in snow belt country. You won't get leather or sunroof, but for 18-20K people would let it go much easier, as they look for other things. Just to be clear - my disdain is about WRX only.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

whatever that actually means - tell me

I'm OK with the way they looked, but the same thing that made the last WRX raw and all about bang-for-the-buck is what turned off that other 99% I was talking about.

Common complaints that turned prospective buyers away from the old model included:

* windows that rattle when you slam doors
    * hard plastics on the dash and trim
    * peach fuzz headliner
    * excess road noise
    * lack of GPS option
    * lack of safety features (VSC, SAC)

I think they've at least tried to address most, if not all, of those issues.

Don't get me wrong - I had a Forester with frameless doors and defended those to the death, yet I'll admit it was a concern raised by MANY shoppers that ended up buying something else.
    Perhaps to make my point it's best to step outside of this segment.

Hard core enthusiasts love the Lotus Elise because it's bare bones, raw, and uncompromising. I love it, don't get me wrong.

However, the S2000 will simply sell in higher volumes because of the compromises it makes to make it more livable in the real-world.

The new WRX goes more in that direction, with one notable exception - it's lighter than the old one.
    Allright - agreed to that. It is better. I just think they could have done better job on the interior esthetics. If they made it look like Legacy GT, I would be so much happier - and the separation with 2.5i would be much more visible. Add also HID/sunroof/leather, (which I would happily trade with Nav so keep the sticker below 30 grand and give me 1k cash back ;) ), fix the clear lights and grill (not necessary, but would not hurt) and I may actually come and look back.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

HID, moonroof, and leather will come in time. They didn't want over $30k sticker shock.

Just hope yours is not totalled this year. :D
    I get that - but I think it was a mistake, as others offer lthr/snf or have it standard at comparable prices. But I get it - with Nav it would move into about $32K, which is a sticker price of Legacy GT with Nav and 5AT.

Whoa - now it is clearly visible now that WRX is not such a good deal, ESPECIALLY that there is a cash back for Legacy. The only thing Lgcy cannot be had with manual and Nav and if you want a hatch, you had to get stinking Outback.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

Bring back the GT wagon manual!

2005 only. :cry:
    I second that
    I said it so many times that even I got tired of it :sick:

2018 430i Gran Coupe

I feel bad, every time I get those little "you maintained your car so well, we will give you guaranteed trade in value" things from Subaru; I don't have anything I want to trade in for.
    Its a great way to build loyalty, but not enough to overcome the lack of a desirable product.
  • dinterndintern Member Posts: 24
    "Just got the 5-door WRX with sat nav (in Lightning Red). "

How is its rear vision? I'm driving a Impreza 2.5i wagon, and I don't like its offering. Have to really turn back to see it clearly. Also how about its noise, from the engine and the wind? The 2.5 wagon is noisy. This wagon feels jittery once over 70MPH, how's your WRX doing?
  • dinterndintern Member Posts: 24
    Regarding the prices. It's hard to tell if we are getting the cheaper ones. WRX in JP seems to be called Impreza 5GT, having a 2.0 DOHC engine with 240HP/240TQ while ours a 2.5 HT with 220/220. I'd like the 240/240 one, too bad ours is tuned down.
    I feel got the same thing. I even went to the local dealer couple of times to check out if I could really find anything I liked. Each time I concluded there was no product, period. This year GTP is almost three grand over market value for my car - combined with the VIP program, nobody can beat that. Yet, I find nothing I could buy from them - even at this kind of discount. There are couple of products that would be there, if .... but they're not and all signs are it will get worse as Subaru is moving away from my preferences every year.

When I drove the Outback XT and then new WRX, the salesman saw my skepticism (as I told him - I wasn't really interested, but "since you called") asks me what needs to happen for me to pull the trigger and I said flat out "The product. I know the offer is good, I have the money, I have the credit, but if there is no product it's all moot". He didn't say much after that - cause there is nothing to say... :cry::cry::cry:

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• petebkpetebk Member Posts: 5
    Hey Dino -

Same boat here.. My GTP value is almost $4k higher than my trade should be - yet, I can't find a car I'd want right now. No LGT wagon, and that WRX is just not cutting it. Not to mention its price is really over the top with the Premium pkg. I want to upgrade from my Outback Sport SE.. but.. there's just no sport wagon to fit the bill :(
  • xyzzerxyzzer Member Posts: 14
    "How is its rear vision?"
    I am not sure - it might even be a little worse, but you don't look back in a car like that very often. :)
    I think the purpose of some changes was to reduce the noise and I think it might be successful, although it is hard to compare my '05 Impreza Outback with a WRX. It is a different suspension, so I would expect more noise from there - overall, probably the same noise.
    Just get a test drive and see for yourself.
    My '05 did not feel too jittery at 120MPH, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. I expect the WRX to be stable at 150. :)
    So, nobody will convince me that they're are OK, if customers who would otherwise be ready to pull the trigger, are resisting "killer offers" that cannot be even remotely matched by other manufacturers.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

i want an AWD sport wagon with an Aux-in stereo, butt warmers, and a sunroof. does it exist? Nope!

i even considered decking out a 2.5i, forgoing my turbo desire - but they won't even offer seat warmers in that car!! and while my Outback Sport is not gorgeous, i really don't know if i could trade up to the '08 OBS, especially in its awful lack of colors.

I want to like the WRX... but.. $28k?? pshhhh.
    Try out a Forester XT Sports.

It's old school Subaru at its best.

GTP values are awesome. I hope my 2002 Legacy qualifies when the 2009 Foresters come out!
    i've thought about that XT Sports - its sharp, no doubt - but they didnt lower it for the US market did they? like, it still has the Forester's raised suspension? that's probably the only possible gripe i could have with that car. sweet package otherwise though!
    Nah - before Forester XT I'd see myself in the Outback XT. But to be honest I never tried the latter. Not many around anyway.

Will see next year, again. It's the third year they extended GTP to 2002, at least for Impreza don't know about other models. It's like some magic number. Maybe they'll do it again. If 2002 makes it next year than my '03 will make it year after that.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

This discussion has been closed.