Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra Real World MPG Numbers

nj123nj123 Member Posts: 3
The dealers say that the 5.7 V8 gets 14/18 MPG on all of the cab sizes. Can anyone tell me what they are really getting out of their 5.7 tundras? Most importantly what is the highway mileage, i know the city is going to bad.
Thanks

Comments

• blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    No offense intended but if you have to ask you should look for a more economical vehicle or just keep the one you have.
  • bugchuckerbugchucker Member Posts: 118
    I can tell you on a recent test drive that the Tundra did 9.9 mpg. I was pushing the truck pretty good. The dealer told me to test the truck on this winding road. I don't think he expected to hit 50+ mph in the curves since the speed limit was 20. The Tundra's handling was excellent.
  • doggboysdoggboys Member Posts: 17
    I have 1600 miles on the 2 wheel drive 5.7 with the tow package and on the hwy I've been getting 17 consistantly with a tank getting close to 19.5. I haven't towed anything yet either and have been easy on the gas. I can see the mileage getting mildly better with each tank though. In reference, I traded in a 2004 4Runner with the 4.7 and was getting 18. The Tundra gas mpg is great with all things considered.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    Wow, that's pretty respectable mileage. I'll be curious as to what some of my friends 4X4's get with the 5.7. I may end up borrowing one to move my sister into a new place next weekend so I am excited to spend the day with one of these beasts. I know I was overly impressed riding along on the test drive. :shades:
  • tundrahqtundrahq Member Posts: 5
    I've been looking at a couple of other forums out their and they both have members that are saying they're getting about 17mpg. That's pretty good for such a powerful truck IMHO. I've got links on my toyota tundra page and on my blog.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    Thanks hq!

I have your page bookmarked for future reference as well.
  • brazosboogerbrazosbooger Member Posts: 9
    I have over 1100 on the 5.7, 4x4, mileage is 14.8. That is a close even mixture of town and highway. Also I love to stomp on it every chance I get, so I am sure it could be a little better. This thing accelerates like a sports car, Its really starts howling at 4000 rpms. I was climbing a steep mountain pass right about 10,000 elevation, punched it doing 70, and the beast hit 90 mph very quick, and still had plenty to go.
  • jaymack1979jaymack1979 Member Posts: 10
    4x4 TRD DC 7750miles
    I drive A LOT! I'm averaging about 1200 miles/wk now mostly driving in TN and KY. 75% of my driving is on Interstate running around 75 mph. I have not reset my fuel calculator in about 1500 miles and it is exactly on 17.0mpg. For the first 3000 miles it would avg around 16. If I stay off of the Istate, I can avg 18-19.

17MPG is definitely a real world number if you drive like you have some sense. Hard take-offs are a killer. I have refrained from this completely since gas went to 2.50/gal.
  • averagecarguyaveragecarguy Member Posts: 11
    Admittedly, I drive fairly aggressively. But in mostly highway driving (averaging probably 70-75 mph), with some city driving thrown in, the trip computer is reading 14.0 (haven't reset since new).

I just checked out fueleconomy.gov. Under the 2008 testing procedure, they have the 5.7 pegged at 13/17, combined 14. So the new test may in fact be closer to reality than the old one.
  • dadoftaydadoftay Member Posts: 136
    I've been reading some of the posts and it breaks my heart to know I drive an '05 GMC Safari getting 16-17mpg and you cats are getting the same mileage from such a cool truck. I have a friend in the auto accessories market (they provided the leather installs when Toyota couldn't here in GA) and he says his guys drive the trucks back and forth to the dealers and the computer shows 12-14mpg and you know those guys are rompin' on the gas. I have to say, other than being jealous, I'm impressed.
  • tent2tttent2tt Member Posts: 46
    I am trying to find a reliable truck with as good gas mileage as possible that can safely tow a maximum 5,500 lbs hard sided (not fold-down) travel trailer (that's the GVWR fully loaded up + 2 passengers)without overtaxing the engine going up hill and while still getting decent gas mileage towing and around town (particularly around town), and that can handle rutted and washboard dirt roads. Decent gas mileage to me is at least 20 mpg when not towing. Vehicles I am considering are: The Toyota 4Runner, Tacoma and Tundra, the Nissan Frontier and the Dodge Ram 2500 Turbocharged Cummins Diesel. I see that the short wheel base of the 4 Runner might be an issue and I noticed that several versions of the Tacoma have a GVWR tow rating of 6,500 lbs, but no one seems to be using them for towing trailers--why is that, if the tow rating is that high and it has a greater wheel length? Would it overtax the Tacoma? I have seen one posting about using a Tundra for towing loads, but the gas mileage on the Tundra looks awful when towing 8pmg?!--can anyone tell me what your real world mpg is when towing 5-6K lbs. with a Tundra? What are people using for towing travel trailers in the 5000-6000 lb. range? How does your vehicle do uphill and in challenging conditions? Is it true that I should get a Dodge Ram 2500 with Cummins Turbocharged diesel instead of a gas engine both for better power and better mpg? I have seen numerous posts on travel trailer sites by people saying that they can get 20mpg empty and 11-15 mpg towing (heavier weights than my prospective TT) in their Dodge Ram TCD with the Cummins engine, but the overall reliablility of the Dodge, Ford and Chevys seems very worrisome compared with Toyotas great consumer report ratings and reliability reviews. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
  • tomktomktomktomk Member Posts: 7
    I have 900 miles on so far, 5.7, DC, 4x4.
    14 to 15 average, 18 to 19 on the highway/freeway.
    The average fuel mileage calculator seems very accurate and you become conscious of the current fuel mileage calculate graph, although I wish is was digital numbers rather than the bar graph.
    I have read on some other sites that mileage improves overtime.
    I get my tonneau cover next week, so we'll see if that improves the mileage at all.
  • viper9viper9 Member Posts: 3
    I have 5600 miles on my 5.7L dc and get around 15 mg around town and about 18 mpg on the highway
  • thorvaldthorvald Member Posts: 9
    Just got a Tundra 5.7L 4x4 standard cab two days ago . Traded in a 2002 F150 4x4 4.6L .I drive alot back and forth between my jobs as a general contractor . In the F150 I would get 15.-15.2 mpg consistently . Out on the highway in cruise I could get 18 -18.4 . Today I bought my second tank of gas for the Tundra and calculated my mileage for the first time , driving the same route as I did in the Ford . I will say that my gas guage has the same problem that others have mentioned . It reads alot lower than it is . As a result I told myself as I was pumping gas not to be dissapointed if I only got 12mpg or so . The truck was new and not broken in yet . Imagen my surprize when the pump clicked off at 13.7 gallons even though it seemed to be down close to a quarter tank . The result ? 18.36 mpg ! To say I was delighted would be an understatement . This is suburban driving . 5 miles , stop shut off engine , 15 miles ,5 stoplights , speed from 25-50 , get on the highway ,60-70 for 20 miles , stop at store , you get the picture . Lots of trips between 5-25 miles long at all speeds . In the Ford I would get city mileage . I did not expect the Tundra to do that well , but there it is . I was babying it . Can't wait to see what it will do on a road trip .
    Second tank 17.41 mpg . Same route .
  • redjim58redjim58 Member Posts: 1
    I have 5500 the last tank avg was 18.3 MPG that was combined highway and back roads. most tanks before that have been in the 17 plus MPG. Haven't been on any long trips yet but will be interesting to see if I can do better on long highway trips. I am very pleased with the MPG's and overall quiality of the Tundra.
  • jcoukosjcoukos Member Posts: 8
    Have 1200 miles (broken in) just finished a 100+ mile highway trip steady at 65mph got 21.2 mpg with the air on. Beats my '05 Tacoma 4.0L which got 18. Geting 18 around town when driving conservatively, gotta admit I've floored it a few times for some heart pumping fun, glad I got the 5.7.
  • mileskmilesk Member Posts: 2
    I drive approximately 60 miles one way to work.
    About 55 of those miles are on the I-15 freeway.

I drive between 65-75 miles per hour.

I have had my truck for less than 2 months and have around 6000 miles on it.

I have been averaging about 15.5mpg!! (Not 20!)
    I even went so far as to reset my trip gauge... freeway drive conservatively at 70mpg or less trying to coast and not put any foot into the gas and I was able to bring the mileage for the 50 mile drive on the freeway up to 17.8mpg.

I think the more realistic driving pattern is around 15-16mpg on this truck.

I love my Tundra... it is not Prius.
    If you want a truck like this ... know that you are getting a truck that is a truck and with that you get Full Size Truck gas mileage. Despite the creative 15city and 20highway sticker they placed on it in the dealer lot.
    You won't ever see 20mpg and they must have had a downhill with the wind at the back of the truck day of testing at the Tundra facility on the day they made that sticker. ha ha!

Note: This Truck Rocks!!
  • cs_dcs_d Member Posts: 1
    Purchased a 2007 DC/4x4/5.7 about 6 weeks ago. Currently have 1800 miles. Recently completed an 1100 mile round trip from KY to VA and back. Averaged 18.3 for the trip. Best tank was 19.26. Back and forth to work I'm getting around 17 (combined highway and city). Just completed my first short trip with a 5500 lb. boat and trailer. Averaged 10.5 for this trip (about 75 miles). Very pleased so far and mileage has improved a little with break-in.
  • dadoftaydadoftay Member Posts: 136
    As far as towing goes, your mileage will be better in a diesel than gas if you're towing frequently. As far as your choice of vehicles goes-
    TOYOTA- no 4Runner, no Tacoma is going to pull 5,500 all day long without being severly taxed. Your mileage would be single digits because the motor would be in it's power band the entire time pulling. The Tundra would do it easily with a drop in mileage of maybe 3-4mpg.
    NISSAN- I wouldn't do the Frontier. I've read posts where towing yields 8-9mpg. That goes back to that little engine working it's heart out. (I am referring to the V6)
    DODGE- I'm not a Dodge fan but my brother has a 1/2 ton and that thing pulls/tows with the best of them. He gets around 10mpg when pulling a 6,500 trailer loaded. Now you throwing a 2500 Cummins diesel into the game is like Jerome "The Bus" in a pee wee league football game, no contest.
  • apptunapptun Member Posts: 18
    I have an 02 Tundra with the V8 and 4x4. I tow a 16 foot stock trailer about 5000 miles per year. The weight of the trailer loaded is just shy of 6000 pounds. I have checked it on a truck scale. That said, I get around 10 mpg average when towing. I get about 16 when not towing. The trailer barely fits under a 9 foot door on the machine shed. It is not aerodynamic in any way. I have frequently considered making the upgrade to a diesel .If you calculate my towing distance per year, the thought quickly passes. It would never even come close to breaking even. If I towed the majority of my driving miles then I would probably upgrade. My trailer has electric brakes and the truck has a set of timbrens on the rear springs.If you utilize some common sense there is not any drama.Thanks.
  • johnnytundrajohnnytundra Member Posts: 2
    If you drive on low traffic roads and want to coax the MPGs out of this truck it can (in my case anyhow) deliver 22.0 MPG (US gal.) on relatively flat ground (hills, but no major mountain climbs). I was usually at the speed limit (55) but had to go slightly above and below to get the truck beyond the 18.0 EPA mark. I found that the throttle position was the key, gaining speed downhill and using as much coasting as possible uphill. That being said, the tundra is a rocket of a truck and most drivers will be happy to get the 16-17 highway with a heavier foot. I am on the company dime when i drive and rent my truck for a mileage rate. I turned 160 dollars above fuel expenses over 440 miles and added 2 hours at the most to the time. I am happy to take it a bit slower for the extra cash, no tickets and taking the time charged to clients/contractors for obeying posted limits(against the law for em to complain that a driver takes to long provided the speed limit/hour matches the distance). That and the roads to some of my job sites are about as bad as can be and front ends tend to go out really quick taking jumps at 80 plus.

As to whether I will try to shoot for 22.0 (currently the best i could pull off with real effort, and not likely to be reproduced as a rule) or just set the speed to 55 and get 18-19 MPG is going to take some time to work through.

Either way this truck dominates my companies old 2001 Chev silverado HD in the fuel department. It would rarely yield more than 350 miles on the same tank, often less.

Love the truck, and i really can't fault anyone for only getting 15-17 on the highway because its a lot of fun hammering past the other half tons (did it a fair bit in the demo) but i am not ragging my engine till its been broken in.
    Just went over 3000 today . I have recorded and calculated my mileage every tank . The truck (RCLB 4x4) had about 75 miles on it when I got it so for the 2928.3 miles that I recorded I used 174.6 gallons for an average of 16.78 mpg . This is on my daily route as a general contractor . Alot of 35-55 mph stuff . No real city driving but no extended highway either . I'm extremely pleased with the combo of performance and economy . I drove my f-150 '02 4.6ltr on the same route and could barely average 15 .
  • ltdan2ltdan2 Member Posts: 17
    i just got back from sturgis drove 3217 miles from n. ga. to s.d. & back averaged 14.7 mpg round trip. my truck has 5.7,longbed,4wd,loaded gear for 2 guys,slidein 8ft.truck camper [loaded wt.of camper1750 lbs]12ft. trailer,2 h-d roadkings.best tank ms.flatlands16.3 worst tank n. ga. over monteagle in tenn.12.7. impressed with perfor.&handling the whole trip,damn good for 1/2 ton truck ,frend on trip was a retired g.m. worker his statement was if gm didn't pay his nut for the rest of his life he would buy toyota! he's loyal to his employer of 35 yrs.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Just drove from Minneapolis to Chicago suburb and got exactly 20.25mpg. Was 90% expressway. :)
  • eric102eric102 Member Posts: 122
    Wow! 16.5 on my first tank, mostly city and medium speed rural. I'm surprised it did that well on a green engine with alot of time spent parked at idle playing with the gadgets. Never could do better than 12 with my old F250 diesel.
  • mikonmikon Member Posts: 7
    I have had 6 Toyota trucks dating back to 1981, still have four of them, latest is a 2006 Tundra Double-Cab Limited. All of them continued to improve on mileage up to 60,000 miles. IMPORTANT: After 10,000 miles, I switched to synthetic oil (Castrol Syntec, or Mobil-1 extended mileage) and achieved an average of 1.5 mpg increase on every one. That adds up to a substantial savings in gasoline cost.

Regarding the new 5.7 liter Tundra in towing:
    Because the intelligent variable valve timing achieves >90% of peak torque over >60% of the RPM range, and the peak torque of 401 ft-lbs exceeds that of Ford, Chevy and Dodge (including the Ford F-250 and Chevy 2500 diesels, see the latest Consumer Reports write-up), the achievable mileage while towing any given load up to the vehicle's limit should be superior for the Tundra relative to its competition.
    Towing 2200 lbs with either my 2000 Tundra SR-5 or my 2006 Limited, I tend to forget the trailer is even there.
  • tank5tank5 Member Posts: 10
    Hi: I have a 2007 double cab with the 4.7 motor. In a effort to get better MPG I'm thinking od adding a 5" rear and 2" front lowering kit. I bellieve that this will increase MPG and experience with lowering kits or real world experience?

Franko
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Don't think you will save enough to offset cost.
  • dbric36dbric36 Member Posts: 2
    Trailerboats towing mpg 8.1 mpg at 65mph towing a Sea Ray 220 sundeck empty.

In our “Double Nickels” scenario, we towed a Sea Ray 220 Sundeck completely empty, and covered its bow and cockpit to reduce drag. We made sure the boat and trailer were level with the truck, and checked that all the tires were filled to their recommended psi. We also never drove faster than 55 mph on our test route.

In our “Speedy” scenario, we kept the same setup, but drove 65 mph instead of 55. This change in speed will answer whether it’s worth resisting the temptation to travel at the rate you are accustomed to when not towing.

In our “Does It Matter?” scenario, we really messed with our rig. First we dropped the air in the Tundra’s tires to 25 psi, down from their original 35 psi. Then we took off the Sea Ray’s covers, and even latched the door separating the bow area from the cockpit for some extra wind resistance. Finally, we added 500 pounds of weight to the boat, in the form of a dozen 5-gallon buckets filled with water. The 220 Sundeck has a 50-gallon fuel tank, so this weight is the equivalent of driving with a full tank of gas and 200 extra pounds of gear.

The Tundra’s computer confirmed what we experienced on our test route. In our “Does It Matter?” scenario, we achieved only 8.0 mpg, compared to 9.3 and 11.1 mpg for our “Speedy” and “Double Nickels” circuits, respectively. The actual numbers showed the trip computer was being a little generous, however. Our data, based on gallons burned and the miles we traveled, showed only 7.3 mpg for the “Does It Matter?” loop, 8.1 mpg for the “Speedy” scenario (an 0.8 mpg or 11 percent improvement), and 9.9 mpg for the “Drive 55” setup (a 2.6 mpg or 36 percent improvement).
  • tank5tank5 Member Posts: 10
    Hi: Does any one have real world experience with putting a 2" front, 5" rear lowering kit on a 2007/8 2wd Tundra? I beleive that with a less large profile to the air the truck should get better gas mileage.

Any info"

Franko
  • bonestonebonestone Member Posts: 3
    i have an 07 with the 5.7 4x4 and just recently took it on a trip to virginia beach from pa. once on the highway i was keepin a an average mph of about 85, with the occasionall race against some poor sports cat owner...lol i got 19.2 on two tanks. i drive in the mountains alot and on average there i get around 14.4. ive been checkin it every fill up just to see if babying the thing will help. the only advantage ive seemed to find out is to very slowly get up to speed, that saved 2.5 on the mountain driving. i also tow a 29' toy hauler camper wieghing in around 75lbs. loaded. the truck doesnt even know its there. now the gas mileage dropped to around 12ish but whos counting.. im just now gettin ready to hit 10,000 mls.and the only thing i dont like about it is that the rear tires are already shot and they suck badly in the snow!
  • bonestonebonestone Member Posts: 3
    you wont even know that trailer is behind you if you get an 5.7 eng. the truck just pulls like no tomorrow. i your gas mileage is alil rough, i get around 12.5 on a good mixture of highway and backroads on the mountains. it will hadle very well and stop even better. i haul a 29' toy hauler and it weighs around 7500 lbs loaded . there is nothing i can complain about except the need for a larger gas tank...
  • tru2chevytru2chevy Member Posts: 1
    Having owned several Silverados, I was pretty disappointed with the 16mpg I'm getting with this Tundra. I still own the 2001 Z71 Extended Cab with a 5.3 Vortex, which gets the 16mpg in the same driving conditions. For what I gave up in cab size, I'm not sure I made the right choice unless someone can tell me what can be done to get the Tundra's mpg up into 19-20 range. Any help is appreciated.
  • 1972ck1972ck Member Posts: 56
    I recently purchased a 2008 Tundra D-Cab, SR5 w/ the 5.7 liter V8 w/ the 6spd. auto. tranny. 1st tank of fuel went fairly quickly. I averaged 13.8 mpg. Now that the truck has some miles on it and has broken-in. The truck has been averaging 16.9 mpg. I drive some back roads and then some highway getting to work daily. If I take it easy on the highway the mileage goes to 20 mpg. Getting stuck in traffic takes it's toll on fuel economy. (as to be expected) I took a 60 mile round trip on the freeway the other day and got 19.8 mpg. average w/ the cruise at 65 mph. I live in New England and we have plenty of hills. The highway has a lot of changes in grade.
    I towed my snow machine the other day and the digital read out was at 16.4 mpg. Not bad for towing a 600 lb. trailer and a 400 plus pound sled in 4x4 through slushy snow. Also of note I plow my driveway and my neighbors down the road with my new Tundra. Believe it or not the fuel economy did not suffer much. Even with the truck in 4WD the whole time and the steel blade Fisher attached to the front.
  • car25car25 Member Posts: 7
    I am getting 14.4 mpg for driving hilly mountains and country roads PA w/t 2008 Tundra 4x4 DC with 5.7 engine.

Worst I have seen was 13.2 mpg, but that was enjoying the 381 HP. Hope get´s better when further broken in, currently at 2500 miles.
  • goduckgoduck Member Posts: 1
    :sick: :sick: i have a 04 tundra that i got new in aug 04 and i have always kept track of my mileage the very best was15 mpg on i-5 between sac and the grapevine on c/c the whole way each fill-up on that strech was the same no better . now inthe city 11mph tops .it sucks the dealor says its the gas, its the way i drive, its this its that well i have tried every thing to get 12 mph no way no how . any ideas out there before i get rid of it ? i really like this truck put cant aford to feed it. :cry:
  • kd7oqckd7oqc Member Posts: 8
    08 2wd Double Cab 4.7ltr / 5spd auto.
    Worst mileage: 15.3
    Best mileage: 21.2
    Average (over the past 13k miles). 19.2

I have a K&N Air Filter in it and change the oil every 3k with Castrol 5w30. Usually use Texaco or Chevron fuel if it is available.
  • rambler16rambler16 Member Posts: 6
    2008 Tundra Double Cab 5.7 L

3000 miles

Just completed 360 mile trip all highway with a few on & offs Avg speed 70 mph.

19.4 MPG
  • winghunterwinghunter Member Posts: 1
    The most effective way to improve gas mileage is give your engine all the air it can handle and the fastest way of getting rid of exhaust.

Cold Air Intakes, RAM Air Hoods and CAT Back Dual Exhausts.

Do your research and you won't sacrifice your quiet ride but, you'll have a very noticeable HP increase and higher mpg only if you can keep your foot from the thrill of stomping on the gas.
  • mikonmikon Member Posts: 7
    I have two Tundras; viz, a2000 4x4 SR5 Access Cab w/shell & cattle guard and a 2006 4x4 Double-Cab Limited (no shell). Both have the 4.7 liter V8s (first at 245 HP/315 ft-lbs, second at 271 HP/345 ft-lbs). I have tracked every tank of gas since purchase of both.

The 2000 consistently gets 16.6 on E90 and 18.0 on 100% regular gasoline. I do a reasonable amount of off-roading in the CA Sierras with it (my GO-TO truck). A 6,000 mile trip in 2006 yielded 17.7 mpg overall while working a ranch for two months of hauling and towing, and I cruised cross-country at 95 mph for over two hours (w/no trailer) during the trip.

The 2006 has averaged 18.3 mpg overall since purchase on regular E90 gasoline, but is getting better mileage as it ages. I use full synthetic oil in both trucks.
  • way2fun_lotusway2fun_lotus Member Posts: 1
    I find that extremely hard to believe. I have a 2007 double cab with a 5.7 l engine and it has never even once exceeded 15 mpg regardless of what kind of driving (highway or city) and how hard I have driven it. How exactly did you calculate your mpg?
  • lwittorflwittorf Member Posts: 96
    Just bought a 08 tundra crew with 4.6 the 4 tanks I have ran have been 18.2 high 15.8 low the thing has 16k on it [it was a lease rig] am thinking of puting in a K&N filter and going to mobile 1 but I don't look for any better but I can always hope. I keep track of all the gas I put in so will report back after I have put more miles on it.
  • webgoodwebgood Member Posts: 95
    Our new '08 DC, just 1,200 miles on the odometer when we started-out from Iowa for a round trip of northern Wisconsin with a 4,200 lb.-loaded hybrid travel trailer, 2 adults and 200 lbs. of gear. After 1,250 miles over 8 days we averaged 12.51 MPG highway mileage on 2/3's interstate and 1/3 good 2-lane with the usual slow-downs for small towns. Pegged the cruise at 57-58, left it in automatic and did not use 'tow-haul mode'. This is actual mileage based on starting with a full tank when leaving town and filling-up as we rolled back in, not 'calculated' by the vehicle computer.
    I'm happy.
    On a roadtrip that was 98% interstate running 77-78 MPH for 99+ % of that, the rest 55 MPH secondary highway driving on our '08 4X4 DC with a total of 500 lbs. of passengers and light cargo, got 17.92 MPG based on actual gas usage, not by the computer. :)
  • uh1cruuh1cru Member Posts: 1
    have a 2008 Crewmax with a 5.7l average 14 anround town 18 on the highway and 10 towing a 8000 lb travel trailer. Awesome truck took a trip tp Pomona CA last year for the drag races passing diesels going over the grapevine, took another trip to Oregon 8000 lb trailer wife 2 kids 100 deg outside A/C running over the Siskyou Mtns temp gages never moved. not to mention it's a real hot rod. :):):)
    Nice!
  • eharri3eharri3 Member Posts: 640
    5.7, 4x4, SR5 with 18 inch wheels.

I broke her in with my first 800 mile road trip with 500 miles on the clock back in march. Got 18.7 all highway, going no faster than 65-70 mph, with no heavy throttle application. Incredible when I consider my 04 Dakota Quad Cab with 4x4 and 4.7 almost never beat that number and the truck was 1000 pounds lighter, 3.55 rear end as opposed to the Tundra with over 100 fewer horsepower.

Of course I haven't driven it like that or seen that mileage since. The other day some idiot stopped in front of me on the merging lane with 65 mph traffic flying by. I just floored it when I saw a small gap and the next car flying towards the on ramp never even got close to my rear end. Can't drive a truck that's capable of that for ultimate mileage, no matter how hard I try.
  • 1972ck1972ck Member Posts: 56
    I own a 2008 Tundra 4x4 Double Cab SR5 4x4, currently has 27k on the clock. Summer driving my Tundra avg.s around 19.4 mpg, winter it drops down to 16.9 to 17.3 according to the handy little computer on the dash. I also use my Tundra to plow with. When I am plowing snow it avg.s 13.5 which isn't bad considering the 7 1/2' blade on the nose and the Blizzak snows on the truck. I use 87 octane fuel and "treat" the Tundra to 92 octane once in a while. ;)
    The sweet spot for fuel economy seems to be not going over 70 pmh on the interstate and keeping the truck at an avg. speed of 40-50 mph on numbered routes that allow such speeds. If I get stuck in traffic all bets are off and fuel economy suffers as you would expect. I also tow with my Tundra quite often getting up to the 10,300 lb. max. rating. My fuel economy when towing around 10k lbs. avg.s 13.1 to 14.4 mpg. Which I think is reasonable given the amount of weight being towed. :D
  • onoffroadonoffroad Member Posts: 17
    Being retired I've seen lot's of changes in auto and trucks ! Some are good,some are not ! Owned 5 new trucks & 5 new cars pluse used ! Never used syn. oil or k&n air filters,never had to rebuilt motors or trans.! Had a new 68 toyota corona, a new 78 ford f100 with a 6cy 300 motor,it got 19mpg ! Pulled a travel trailer all over the mountains with it (three speed on colum) (had 140,000 mi.when sold)! Had a 98 tacoma 4x4 ext. cab. 4cy. pulled 3000 lbs. boat with it ! Had 194,000mi. when i traded in (did'nt burn a drop of oil)! Have a 09 frontier crew cab 4x4 that gets 22.5mpg going 65mph in 70%-30% driving! 21 going 70mph on Int.(20 at 78mph)! Blessed ! pulled a 27' travel trailer for over 8hrs. in upper 90's! Looking real hard at 2011 tundra,but 1st review 17mpg with 2wd ! "Come On" Myths: your auto will get better gas mpg after break-in,syn. oil will give you more mpg !