Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Veracruz Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• cplyonscplyons Member Posts: 20
    Just got home from what my wife calls the best car buying experience of her life, and I must agree...

First, the deal:

2007 Veracruz Limited AWD
    Ultimate Package Premium (Saddle etc)
    Roof cross rack
    Composite Cargo mat
    Floor mats
    MSRP $38,375

Out the door (means tax, title and all fees included) $35,322, no balloon no baloney. This price is a chunk better than $1,000 off published invoice. AND they gave me what I wanted for trade-in of my 2005 Acura TL.

I HIGHLY recommend the dealer we used... Vision Hyundai of Rochester. Four phone calls over five days with their internet manager (great guy, very very good at what he does); time on phone totals no more than fifteen minutes over five days. Internet search of inventory found the color and trim we wanted; I gave him the stock number of the VC we selected, he quoted $1,100 under invoice, we talked about my trade, he gave me a range I found acceptable, I asked him to get the car ready for today.

It was washed, detailed and ready for us when we got there.

We were in and out of the dealer in two hours, enough time for a thorough test drive and full rundown of checklist for taking delivery. They then surprised us by offering the high end of their range for my trade, which exceeded what I thought I'd get.

The rest of the time was spent on trade paperwork, getting insurance etc coordinated. We found a couple of cosmetic issues which were taken care of during our discussions. We were dreading the F&I guy, but we completed our visit with him in four minutes.

Before we knew it we were on the road, in this magnificent car. I will post again later to explain why I like it better than the vaunted Acura, but wanted to get the Buying experience described while it was fresh in my head.

Chris in Ithaca
  • dashbbdashbb Member Posts: 119
    Firstly, congratulations to those who purchased a Veracruz. This might be a wrong forum to post this, but according to MotorWeek Road Test, the FWD Veracruz seems pretty quick off the line. 0-60 in 7 seconds which is MDX territory in acceleration performance.

Here's the test video:
    http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/video/roadtests/rt2648a_flash.shtml

Lexus luxury and Acura performance for the price of...Duh...Hyundai. :)
  • msudawgmsudawg Member Posts: 4
    Purchased in NC. My wife and I test drove the Saturn Outlook, Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander and Mazda CX9. All were great vehicles, but we decided on the Veracruz because of size, features, price and warranty.

Window Sticker - $27,140
    Agreed Upon $ - $24,916
    Out the door - $26,046 (Tax = $762.48, Doc fee = $299, Registration = $69)

All in all, it was a good experience. We will pick up our new Veracruz on Monday, and I will need to talk to them about the fact that they left $500 off the contract. We agreed on $24,916, which they arrived at by giving me $500 dealer cash and $500 for going through Hyundai Motor Credit for financing. Since we were signing all the documents late last night (around 8:30PM on a Saturday) I missed that they forgot to take of the $500 for going through HMC for financing. I hope it won't be too much difficult to get them to correct this oversight.
  • austx37austx37 Member Posts: 18
    Thanks for the info on your purchased price for a GLS FWD, I don't think I've seen that model's purchase price on this forum and that's what I'm interested in. Can you tell me what APR HMC gave you and the number of months? I'm curious about their APR rate for 60 months.

Also I have had a hard time finding a close up picture of the GLS model's cloth seats. On Hyundai's website they use the same picture of the seats for cloth as they do for leather so I think the picture is of leather seats. I believe the GLS only comes in cloth seating. I didn't like the beige cloth on the 2007 Santa Fe and I am hoping the Veracruz beige cloth is better quality looking and soft. Let me know what you think on that as well if you don't mind.

Thanks! :)
  • mjb56mjb56 Member Posts: 170
    I have the beige GLS in cloth. It's very nice, soft and high quality. It's very light, however. I had it treated to avoid stains, so I hope it works out. I wanted the grey but it wasn't available and I liked the deal so.....
  • jarusjarus Member Posts: 7
    Thanks to all for the info provided, it really helped me to decide on Veracruz.

$550 less than Invoice Price = $31,900.
    Doc fee, license and Tax included ~ 34,871.00.

Received $500 incentive for financing with Hyundai.

Thanks, :)
    I just purchased a Veracruz and wondering about the options to buy extended waranty and service contracts.

Any suggestions..
  • selooseloo Member Posts: 606
    From the posts on this board, the best deal is around $1100 under invoice. Has anyone made a better deal?
  • msudawgmsudawg Member Posts: 4
    Finance rate wasn't that great in my opinion. Went through HMC at 6.4% for 60 months. They would have given me 5.99% if I hadn't taken the $500 up front. A quick Net Present Value calculation showed more value taking the higher rate with the $500.

I will pick up our new VC tonight. Wasn't able to get it because we closed the deal so late on Saturday.
  • jimmyz4jimmyz4 Member Posts: 25
    Since there are three categories of the Veracruz, GLS, SE and Limited, you really have to specify which one you got what discount on.

Remember too, there are different option packages for each one. If you price out a new car on this website, you will see what I mean. Also, it will give you the price you can expect to pay and explain what the options are. It will also give you what a "fair" price should be for that car.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/index.html

If a dealer is sitting on 8 GLS with cloth seats and no options, he may want to wheel and deal to unload.

If on the other hand, he only has one Limited with Ultimate pkg and AWD, he may hold out and not give you much of a deal since his phone is ringing off the hook by some other dealer wanting to trade it.

In my case, I paid $100 over invoice for my Limited AWD Ultimate w/saddle leather. That car was super scarce and it was what I wanted, so I paid and am very happy. When I compare savings to having all the toys for the next five or seven years that I will drive the car it makes sense to me. But, that is my opinion. Yes, I am a toy man and love gadgets, some that most people can live without.

By all means get the brochure from a dealer. It is slick and does a very good job of explaining GLS, SE and the Limited. The options available as well.
    Thanks for the info on the beige cloth. Did you have the dealer treat it for stains or did you have that done after you bought it?
    I thought it was around 5.9% but I didn't know they would go up to 6.4% with the $500 cash back. Gotta love those net value calculators...

Thanks again. I will probably get a GLS FWD in a few months, need to save up my down payment... :)
  • tyger429tyger429 Member Posts: 1
    I've been looking around for pricing on the 2008 limited hyundais. Saw one ad online for North Freeway Hyundai in Houston TX.. MSRP and "e-price" were the same, $36K plus...so it looks like i'm better off buying a 2007 with ultimate than just waiting for the 2008s.
    Pardon me for reposting so soon but would like to take a decision soon.

How is every one doing with extended warranty and Maintenance contracts?

If it is not the right forum please let me know.

regards,
    The dealer where I bought my 2007 Limited quoted 500 less than invoice for 2007 model and 1000 more than invoice for 2008 model.

The features and every thing is same. If you are going to keep the vehicle for long I think you should go for 2007. And I went for 2007.
  • jscddncjscddnc Member Posts: 2
    I have been talking to dealers about '07's and 08's. Every dealer I have ask said they still can not get or quote on 2008's. Has anyone seen or ordered an '08 yet? Also I read a few places on the board about a $1500 balloon financing rebate. Is this a regional promotion? All it lists on hyundai's site is $500 comp car, $500 military, or $500 financing.
  • fatemifatemi Member Posts: 15
    the balloon financing rebate is through HMFC and is for $2000 for Veracruz 07.

We got a balloon note at 8.5% for 48 months. The amount borrowed was $14,000.

The overall interest will be around 4k which is more than eliminates the rebate. So it'll only be worth it if you're going to pay it off very early (maybe within the first year). As far as I know there is no prepayment penalty.
  • eadlertxeadlertx Member Posts: 20
    faterni, from which Texas dealer did tou buy your VC?
    Thanx
    eadlertx
  • fatemifatemi Member Posts: 15
    Huffines Hyundai McKinney
    Has anyone done better?
  • mjb56mjb56 Member Posts: 170
    I had the dealer do it. It was $80 and carried a 3 year warranty in which they'd clean any stain at their expense or pay for re-upholstery if it could not be cleaned. I didnt' think that was too bad for the price.
  • pinkitehpinkiteh Member Posts: 14
    Just book my Black SE AWD Veracruz for: $30823 (may finance with Hyundai that will take another $500 off)

Invoice = $31619
    MSRP = $33750

Dealer also throw in remote start and carpet. Is this a good deal?
  • carchexcarchex Member Posts: 3
    2008 Limited 34,050 MSRP plus 695 Deliv....Invoice 31577. plus Deliv. Part of Ultimate Package will be included in the 2008s but not the DVD and upgraded sound
  • bigjimd2804bigjimd2804 Member Posts: 34
    I've done some comparing of MSRP prices for the 2007 vs 2008 Veracruz and have discovered something interesting. (I pulled my data here: 2008 Veracruz Pricing)
    For the GLS and SE models, the 2008 models cost $600 more than their 2007 counterparts. This is a reasonable 2 to 2.2% increase. For the Limited, the increase is $1,750, which equates to more than 5%.

However, one needs to keep in mind that the 2008 Veracruz Limited adds substantial equipment as standard; essentially everything that was included in the 2007 Ultimate Package (with the exception of the Entertainment Package). Last year, the Ultimate Package (which included the Entertainment Package) cost $1,350 more than the Entertainment Package alone, so the 2008 models now actually include this additional $1,350 in equipment as standard. Subtracting the value of this added equipment from the $1,750 increase for 2008 leaves a change of $400. So while the base price is indeed higher, the net price increase (allowing for the value of the added equipment) is actually less than that of the GLS and SE models.

If you wanted the goodies in last year's Ultimate Package on your 2008 Limited (without being forced into the Entertainment Package), the price increase is really not bad at all, in fact, it could be argued that the 2008 Limited actually increased less in price (on a percentage basis) than the GLS and SE.

Has anyone out there actually PURCHASED a 2008 yet? I'm curious if the deals which all seem to hover at or below invoice will carry forward into 2008. I anticipate that dealers will not be too interested in substantially discounting their new 2008 inventories until the remaining 2007s are off their lots.
    Do you happen to know, under "Option 1" what does OS mean where it says "$2000 OS"? I live in Austin so if I had to drive to Dallas to save a few thousand I will. I just don't see these types of specials in Austin, grr.
    "Origination Support" from HFMC. Basically kickback for Balloon financing.

Here's the fine print.
  • boltguyboltguy Member Posts: 94
    Heres a price posted online at Antwerpen Hyundai in Md. This price includes rebates applicable to all customers, but some may be eligible for more off. This isn't any kind of balloon financing price either. $23,766 is their lowest price.

link title
  • biocranialjksbiocranialjks Member Posts: 8
    I just got a 2008 Ltd. in Satin Beige w/DVD at invoice! I believe the dealer just got 2 in the day before. I did need to drive about 20 miles to get to the dealer as most local dealers did not even have the 08's yet.
    nrzjago - Yesterday I sent an internet price request for a GLS to North Central Hyundai in San Antonio. A salesperson by the name of Frank Sepeda from Superior Hyundai contacted me and said he couldn't meet the price I was looking for (I quoted him the $22,888 from a few dealerships in Dallas). He didn't seem too eager to earn my business. Can you tell me if this is the guy you worked with over the internet/email and if Red McCombs Superior is the same as Red McCombs North Central? I had emailed Red McCombs North Central so I don't know why I heard back from this guy from Superior. I would love to get all pricing negotiated in writing before I drive to another city and I'd rather drive to San Antonio than Dallas since it's closer. I know you had a good experience and got everything in writing when you worked with North Central, so I'm trying to go that route. Thanks for your reply! :)
    What important differences, if any, were there between the 2007 and 2008.
    Thanx
  • chen91chen91 Member Posts: 4
    I just purchased a 2007 VC LTD FWD with ultimate package and premium leather for $30,500 from a dealer in Austin. The price did include the $500 competitive bonus. According to Edmunds, this was $3,300 under invoice!
  • mdhuttonmdhutton Member Posts: 195
    Good analysis. I see some early pricing on the '08 Limited to be even more favorable.

I calculate the same $1745 price increase from 2007 to 2008 as you do, keeping in mind that the 2008 includes many items from last year's Ultimate package now standard. I have seen an '08 Limited with a $1500 add-on for the rear-seat DVD as a separate option.

So, backing the cost of the DVD ($1500) out of last year's Ultimate package ($2950), you get a $1450 value to the equipment that is now standard. Backing that figure out of the $1745 price increase, you're left with a net increase of $295 for a similarly-equipped 2008 Limited. This is a .91% increase if you're after the FWD version and .86% if you're after the AWD version.

Amazing! I hope production will keep up with what is sure to be some great demand.
    Was this a true purchase or the balloon finance deal?
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    NEW EQUIPMENT HIGHLIGHTS FOR 2008
    · LG navigation system
    · Previously optional equipment on Limited model, now standard
    o Memory settings for power driver seat, exterior mirrors and steering wheel
    o Power tilt/telescopic steering wheel
    o Adjustable gas and brake pedals
    o Proximity key with immobilizer
    o Rain-sensing wipers
    o 115-volt power outlet
    o Lighted door scuff plates
    · Power tailgate and 115-volt outlet now available on SE model

More here:

http://www.hyundainews.com/Media_Kits/2008_Models/Veracruz/Press_Release.asp
    Does anyone know if the 2008 VC has additional exterior colors?
    Thanx
    This was truly a purchase, paid in full. There was no financing through the dealership.
    Sounds good.

Please provide the details so we can all benefit.

Thanks!
    I purchased my VC at Gillman Hyundai in South Austin. I had made the decision that I wanted to purchase the VC, and I new what was on the lot at all the local dealerships. I was hoping to purchase an identical VC with less options at Classic in Round Rock, so we talked to them, and took one for a test drive for an afternoon. We actually drove Classic's VC to Gillman (which had an identical VC with more options). We told the salesman to have their manager give us their best deal, and he/she did. Classic wouldn't come close when we returned the car, so we purchased from Gillman. That's it....I think we got a great deal!
    You did get a great deal!

You are #1 on the board for the best deal on a new Veracruz.

The new benchmark is at least $3000 below invoice.
  • bigjimd2804bigjimd2804 Member Posts: 34
    Cheri91 said:
    I just purchased a 2007 VC LTD FWD with ultimate package and premium leather for $30,500 from a dealer in Austin. The price did include the $500 competitive bonus. According to Edmunds, this was $3,300 under invoice!

Can you share any more details on this deal? This is without a doubt the best deal I have ever seen posted! Did you pit one dealer against another? I'm not having too much difficulty in getting dealers to give me an "at invoice" price (which makes me curious as to how much holdback there really is), but even throwing in all the incentives, this is a tremendous deal. Your negotiating tips would be greatly appreciated!
  • cplyonscplyons Member Posts: 20
    See this Business Week article:

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/07_21/b4035069.htm

This may be the most relevant paragraph:

" Despite an array of new models with quality and styling at levels unimaginable even as recently as five years ago--and more discounts to boot--sales growth has flattened. Hyundai's inventory of unsold vehicles has quickly swelled. The company, which was the fastest-growing carmaker in the U.S. from 2000 to 2005, had a target of selling one million vehicles in North America by 2010. Forget that. The goal has been quietly scaled back to 700,000, with a 2012 benchmark of 900,000 sales."

The article goes on to describe stadium parking lots full of unsold Hyundais at the factory. Believe me, the dealers are ready to bargain, especially on the higher end vehicles. I got $1,100 below invoice on my loaded Veracruz just for asking...
    Great post!

Just like the current housing market, the smart consumer has all the power.

If you cannot get $3000 below invoice, walk away!

For a smart consumer, buying a new car is a preference, not a necessity.

Good luck and keep posting the great deals.
  • carlupicarlupi Member Posts: 52
    $3300 under invoice sounds "too good to be true". Maybe it is actually $3300 under MSRP. The Veracruz has been getting great reviews, seems to be selling well, etc.. Unless dealers are getting record breaking holdbacks from Hyundai they cannot be selling at this price and stay in business.
    I would tend to agree, but the numbers being shown for the Limited VC are about 3K plus under invoice. Maybe the Hyundai dealers are getting $2K of marketing support from the factory then selling the car at $1300 below invoice using discounts and factory to buyer cash. They still do fairly well with those numbers.
  • mdhuttonmdhutton Member Posts: 195
    You're absolutely right. How many businesses would stay in business for very long if they negotiated each sale at $3300 less than their cost. Answer: none.

I would tend to believe a tremendous amount of advertising support from Korea and generous holdbacks. Add to that the fact that the '08s are on the way and dealers want and need to move the '07s...especially the FWD '07s when the AWD '08s will be the demand as the snow begins to fly in a few months.

I'm waiting for an AWD LTD with Navi myself.
    Hopefully you saw my post on August 30th, explaining the details. I didn't set out to go back and forth between dealerships. We were actually talking to Classic about purchasing a VC on their lot. They posted a red tag sale price ($34,419), and verbally came another $1,000 off from that. So, we decided to drive across town to check out their sale. We walked in, told the salesperson we were going to purchase a car by the end of the weekend, and asked for their best price on nearly the same VC (Gillman's had the cross rails and only 11 miles on the VC). $31,000 is what they told us, and they honored it later that evening. It was pretty painless. When we went to sign the papers, I asked about the "competitive bonus", and they gave us that too, making the price, $30,500 plus TT&L.
    Again, Congrats on a great deal!

$3K under invoice is the new standard!
  • crainscrains Member Posts: 7
    First of all, THANK YOU to all of you who have posted your price/buying experience. I was set to purchase the perfect '07 last week and walked away from an insulting sales manager with bogus math. I was so happy to be able to counter his $43K OTD with some numbers and feel confident about it. (BTW, Hyundai's finance calculator doesn't even go that high!)

When I got home, I found the numbers for the '08s and realized the'08 Limiteds (without Entertainment package) are actually less than the '07 Limiteds (with Ultimate package). Since our kids really don't need more screen time, that's more like what we would like.

My question: Has anyone driven an '08? Does the driving experience/options feel any different than the '07? When we purchased our previous car, we found out a year can make a HUGE difference in driving experience -- even if there's nothing obvious in the specs. I have called around and there are dealers with the '08 on the lot, but not up here in NorCal.
    Did anyone get a good deal over the long weekend?