Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Beetle Transmission Problems

Comments

• woodieberrywoodieberry Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Beetle with only 67000 miles. 80% freeway, And the transmission started to not shift from 3rd to 4th, and slipping 1st to 2nd to 3rd. I checked the NHTSA site. There are at least 40 others in the past year that have also had the same problem. The problem is the NHTSA site has 3 types of cars the Beetle, New Beetle, and New Beetle Convertiable. And they all have the same transmision and the same problem showing up. When the dealer checked the computer codes for this. VW of america said to replace the Value body of the transmission. Cost with tax $2370. To much for a problem that will be recalled someday soon. :mad:
  • diannelaughsdiannelaughs Member Posts: 12
    Took the car to a local mechanic. He's been in business for 30 + years, I know him, his family, yadda yadda. He drove the car and believes that the problem is a solenoid or perhaps a computer needs re-setting :surprise: , not the entire transmission. He is looking at the car this morning and will call me this afternoon to let me know. In any event, he laughed when I told him what the dealership wanted for a transmission.

I agree with all the posts. VW should do something about this issue. Sadly, injuries and lawsuits will probably have to occur first.

I'll post another update when my mechanic calls me back.
  • julieandcojulieandco Member Posts: 6
    I would love to hear what the mechanic says... please keep us posted. I'll use what he says in negotiations with my dealer. You're not in the DC area by any chance, are you?

Julie
    It's the transmission. My mechanic tells me VW won't release the parts to the aftermarket and that's the reason for the exorbitant cost. Even a used transmission would be over $4,000 installed. I have no problem fixing it, it's just the price is outrageous. We replaced the transmission in one of our kids cars last year for $2,500. And it's a 2004 (much abused as well).
    Nope, I'm in the Birmingham, Al area. And I'm just sick about this...it's like VW is transpiring against me to get the car fixed. I just cannot justify pouring that much money into the car. :(
  • shaunnalshaunnal Member Posts: 27
    I hope that VW does something soon. I cannot believe that the NTSBA is seeing all these complaints and not planning on doing anything about it all! Be sure that a complaint is filed and you can follow up to see that they posted it also.
  • upsetvwownerupsetvwowner Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for everyone's post on this issue. I too have fallen victim of the latest transmission problems I am reading in the blogs. I have a 2004 VW Beetle with 70,000 miles in immaculate condition and experoencing jerkiness in the transmission as well. I was quoted $450 and $495 dollars by two different VW dealers to change the transmission fluid. I finally called a third VW dealer and the sales rep was honest enough to tell me that VW Beetle has a sealed transmission and the fluid never needs to be replaced. She told me that I could have the car put on the computer for $120.00 to determine if the computer was showing a fault as well as the service technician can advise me what the problem may be. Long story short they charged me an extra $40.00 dollars to top off the transmission fluid and the car still has the same problem. I was told that I can bring the car back to replace a part inside the transmission for $2000 dollars and if that doesn't work, I would need a new transmission for $4000 more. It sounds like I was taken for a fool since I do believe the dealer already knew that this is a common problem and raked me for $160.00. He told me that he already had 5 transmissions waiting for repair. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
    Seems amazing to me that all of us have this same problem and they havent done anything about this! Geez I hope that you too will post a complaint with the National Transportation Saftey Board!! This is rediculas!!! People are wasting their hard earned money on a problem that VW already knows is taking place!!! Step up and do the right thing Volkswagan!!!
  • alanalongalanalong Member Posts: 1
    i have a 99 volkswagen 2.0 GLS beetle that i traded my 99 mustang (best car i ever owned) and my mustang didnt have a single problem the 5 years i had it and i really wanted a beetle so i found one and got it. they told me nothing was wrong with it. I have had it about three months. It is a 5 speed and when you put it in reverse it sticks and you have to hit it out, my car was over charging the battery so acid was going everywhere, the glove boxs it broken, my tail light wont fit back in places since the light when out, i have to replace all four spark plugs and wires and it still putts every once in a while when it idols and the check engine light comes on at least once a week.eats gas. MAKES ME MAD THAT I GOT THIS CAR!! cost more money then ANYTHING i have ever owned.
  • mrxakmrxak Member Posts: 1
    Also have a 99 GLS 2.0. Going on NJ GSP today,cruising @ 65. Stepped on gas and said wheres the movement.Suddenly tranny jerked and slowed down.Read the thread here and decided against taking it to dealer. Just filed complaint with NHTSA. dave
    Please be sure to complain to the National Highway Transportation Safetly Board like the rest of us have! One way to hopefully get things resolved, Thank you :mad:
  • kirstiemkirstiem Member Posts: 3
    Well, I seem to be experiencing the same type of issues as everyone else here. My 6spd auto beetle ran over a block of wood several months ago and the transmission started playing up a month or so later. The garage, who have serviced it since new, said the transmission sump was damaged, and this was repaired by my insurance company. However this did not resolve the transmission issues and we took it back to the garage multiple times with jerky changes, flaring etc. eventually we told them we would not take it home until they found what the problem was. Finally a mechanic took it for a drive and experienced it for himself. The phoned me and said that we had to accept a $1000 charge to take the transmission apart and look at it, which we did. We had purchased a mechanical warranty on the car so it should have been covered whether it was accidental damage or a mechanical issue.
    When it was taken apart the accident assessor looked and said, no, it was not a result of the original accident. So we lodged a claim with the Mechanical Insurance Company. We had the repair done while waiting for them to make up their minds on the claim....the valve body was replaced at a cost of $6450 (New Zealand Dollars) and the car is running perfectly again.
    the problem is that the mechanical insurers have turned down the claim as they say it was caused by the original accident and the accident insurers have come back today and said that this is a known and common problem with VW Beetles so it is not a result of the accident.....very frustrating and we are out of pocket severely.
    How often does the valve body fail?
    We now have to take both insurance companies to the Insurance Ombudsman here and get them to sort it out, which could take months. :(
    I would still file a claim with the National Transportation Safety Board too. Sorry to hear about this and best of luck! :mad:
  • bubbaandritabubbaandrita Member Posts: 1
    If you are engaging in a class action suit against VW regarding their POC car, especially the transmission, please count us in. We have an '05 new beetle :lemon: convertible 6 spd AT tiptronic which suddenly developed the shifting problems I have been reading about. Dealer, who treated us like pariahs and POS's, tried to tell us first it was a computer module that "learned" how the driver drove and adjusted the transmission to each driver. Too bad I wasn't wearing my hip boots at the time. Then he tried to tell us the transmission simply had too many miles on it at 82K miles. My response was that we have an '87 Pontiac Firebird at home which is getting ready to turn 400K miles and runs just fine. After that they left us sitting for over 90 minutes, ignoring us and hoping we would go away. The car is such a piece of junk VW did not even want to take it in trade on a new vehicle. VW corporate was no help either, just a "we're sorry to hear that you're having problems". The dealer did offer to rebuild the transmission for $6K, but we sort of figured he was just going to drop it out and put in a replacement. Bottom line, we have been telling everyone who will listen what a supreme POC this car is and what a myth the legendary German engineering is also.

I have also in the last few days written to our entire congressional delegation (house and senate) as well as the NTSB and CPSC asking why there has not been any government pressure to force a recall on an automobile which is obviously dangerous. My wife was nearly killed when her car stopped dead in the middle of a left turn at an extremely busy intersection one day. After fifteen seconds it decided to move again, but by then the lights had changed and she found herself charging into oncoming traffic; of course, she had no other place to go, couldn't stay where she was and couldn't back up.

We bought this car two years ago used, and I cannot tell you how many problems, major and minor, we have had with it. Just to list a few:

1. Front bumper passenger side air bag sensor corroded out.
    2. Battery replacement is a major pain/expense.
    3. Front running lights in bumper skirt fell out.
    4. Right front wheel well skirt fell out at speed, causing wife to almost lose control of vehicle.
    5. Left rear power window fell apart internally and will not shut/operate (this only costs $700).
    6. Front seat belt force response sensors went bad and had to be replaced.
    7. Floor mat locks broke, causing floor mats to slide up under brake pedal and accelerator.
    8. Rear ashtray/cupholder assembly fell out, shorting out the rear lighter wiring harness in the process. Very exciting for the rear seat passengers at the time.
    9. Don't get me started about the cup holders for the munchkins from Oz.
    10. Right front headlight locking ring failed, causing assembly to fall out; fortunately was standing still at the time.
    11. Transmission control module failed; had it replaced; but didn't solve the problem.
    12. No way to check the transmission fluid; you have to take it to the dealer.
    13. Transmission shift control failed; diagnosis called for transmission replacement.

So by all means please include us in any updates, correspondence, or whatever if you are going to pursue this. Everyone on this list serve should write to their congressional delegation, the local press, anyone who will listen, because the only thing VW is going to respond to is bad media coverage and government pressure. Maybe we should also all write to Ralph Nader.
    This has been a very serious condition for many people. Someone on here mentioned a class action lawsuit however another person also mentioned that the only people who benefit from that are the lawyers. Idk, I will also write in to others that you have. Going to have to do alittle homework on that one. I think calling the local papter wouldnt be a bad idea either. People are spending money trying to fix something and these repair ppl act like they havent got a clue why it does this, Yet they do!!! That makes me so Mad. Taking are hard earned money and not fixing this problem!!! I also have a list of repairs I have done. Not only is the Transmission a HUGE expense but the interior was poorly made also, as you stated. Interior that peels!! Come on!!! Rediculas :mad:
    Still working through our issues with insurance coverage. The mechanical policy rejected the claim because the ATF Filter was damaged, which they maintain had to have been caused by the accidental damage to the sump as it could not have been caused by any other means.
    Does anyone know of anyway that the ATF fillter can be damaged due to the underlying issues with the VW transmission?
    The accident insurere is turning the claim down because of the kinown issues with VW Beetle transmissions, they are saying that the valve body problem we had is common and not caused by the accident.
    The quote from the mechanical warranty assessor is
    "The transmission pan was replaced due to being damaged, the transmission fluid was "very black and had a strong odour. The ATF Filter was found to be damaged and this could only have been as a result of the damage to the sump and would have allowed contaminants to be washed through the valve body and internals of the transmission."
    the original transmission pan replacement was covered under our accident insurance, but they are refusing to cover the subsequent transmission failure.
    to VW, probably directing it to the owner of the local VW dealership as well as US top dog. After reading through all of these posts and almost getting rear ended today because my baby couldn't decide which gear to choose -- something has to give. I don't have $6,800 for a new transmission. I don't think I should need a new transmission at 80,000 miles. Especially considering my car has only been serviced by my VW dealership. It would seem that any problem resulting in something as traumatic as a new transmission should have been foretold by something that they should have seen.

Arrfgghhhh. After I've composed my letter, I'll set up a facebook group and post here to let everyone know. This is absolutely ridiculous. Surely, if we all start screaming, someone will hear us before one of us is seriously hurt. :cry:
  • scottivxxscottivxx Member Posts: 4
    I know I am crazy, but I am going to take my wife's 2003 Beetle to dealer in a few minutes. I have already filed my complaint, but I will get a quote for the repairs and repost. So far I have to agree, what a POS.
    Ok, here is my bad news, took it in, they had a quote by noon. Entire transmission plus additional parts, total, very close to $6400.

I bought this new for my wife off the showroom floor at the same place in 2004. It has 74000 miles on it. Hmm...I do not want to add the cost up per mile to have owned this POS.

Anyone have any ideas on how we can get some pressure applied.... :mad:
    Wrote my congressmen too.....lot of good it will do. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • bughaterbughater Member Posts: 7
    :confuse: I have posted several times about the trouble that I have had with my beetle. I am hoping to trade it off this weekend because I can not take another day of wondering if I a going to get hit in this stupid car that I paid dearly for. But to my point. I live in North Georgia and I heard some news this morning. I believe the Beetle is going to be discontinued from VW in the next year or so. I don't know if this is good or bad for us beetle owners. But if I am not mistaken, they are only going to make 3,000 (1500 couple and 1500 convertiable) in the light blue (which is the color I have) when they discontinue them. Let me know if anyone else has heard this news.
  • nataliemacnataliemac Member Posts: 14
    You're right, they are discontinuing the car. It's all here at USA Today:
    USA Today.

Maybe because of all the transmission issues?
  • blackdog20blackdog20 Member Posts: 19
    Hello Everyone..

I have a 2004 Beetle with 97K on it, auto transmission. The transmission is junk. The dealership is blowing smoke and I spoke to VW CS which is useless. I wrote VW a letter and told them that they not only have a coil problem, but they should do the right thing and fix all the transmissions. I am not spending 7K on a transmission. Luckily it is a third car for us so we are not stranded. I went ahead and changed the transmission fluid even though it has the so called lifetime fluid, ( what BS is that, and not even a dip stick to check level). My mechanic said that there was a lot of brass in there which is from the disks. Have not put any miles on it yet, but do not expect it to have fixed anything. I was a long shot, but for $250, we figured we would give it a try. I will be joining the fight here, count me in against VW. :lemon:
    Well everyone I found the time to trade mine in. I found someone that was willing to trade it and opted for the 2010 car of the year Ford Fusion. I hope everyone can continue to fight the fight and get there cars fixed. I just could not continue to drive it and worry about myself and children in this POS. If I can still help with the fight I will. My bank stated that another customer was trying to buy one and I asked then to let the person know what problems they were getting into. Anything I can do to help someone else. My friends beetle is also setting because of her transmission. Good luck to all.
    Also everyone. A thought. If the transmission cost more than what the car is worth can your insurance company not do something about it. Is that not the same as if it is totaled out. I know the value of these cars has dropped and mine was worth about what the transmission was worth. :confuse:
  • amac70amac70 Member Posts: 1
    8 months ago I bought my daughter a very clean 2001 beetle with 75,000 miles from a local dealer. It now has 80,000 miles and has had several issues. Come to find out all the issues are all very common. First the fuse box on top of the battery burns up. Then the drivers window stops about 20% from top. Now the check engine light is on and it was stuck in first gear. Dealer said it was speed sensor and charged me $500 to fix. Sensor is $50 and takes about 15 minutes to replace. Engine light is off for the moment but I am scared that they only cleared the codes and not actually fixed a dang thing. What if the transmision freezes again while going 70 mph on the hwy ? Somebody Let me know if I should file a complaint.
  • herrerasgarageherrerasgarage Member Posts: 1
    on your transmission not shifting out of park i would check the brake sensor because it is the one that releases the shifter when you press the brake pedal.so check that maybe you have a faulty brake sensor or a faulty shifter lock sensor.
  • patsy5patsy5 Member Posts: 1
    Just scheduled the estimate on replaceing the transmission in my 2003 Beetle. I have 59,500k miles. I have been reading about the problems everyone else is having with this product. I am planning on telling everyone I know, to never by a product from Volkswagen. The service tech was "shocked" that I was having problems with my transmission and even said it was " a bit early for that". I will see tomorrow what the number is to repair/replace it. I doubt I will...can't afford to throw that kind on money at it. What is the link to the NTSB.. so I can file a complaint. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • tpadelfordtpadelford Member Posts: 33
    I found the ntsb info in bloggs on this site. good luck
    file a complaint asap we all have pretty much on this site. good luck. I have a daughter too and it totally sucks to have problems with a car that should not have any issues.
  • kclllkclll Member Posts: 2
    OK so now I see everyone is having the same problem I am having. I have a 2004 Beetle with a transmission problem the car only has 48,000 miles on it. When car is not warmed up for 15 minutes it will not move in reverse or even in gear. When warmed up it slips like crazy. Can this car need a new tranny already. Don't know what to do? Do i go to Volkswagon or try another repair shop. Any suggestions?
  • kclllkclll Member Posts: 2
    Where do you file a complaint?
  • buggedout1buggedout1 Member Posts: 19
    I first brought mine to the dealer, since at 87,000 miles thought they should at least see what was going on. They diagnosed it incorrectly, after paying, I then took it to the local aamco...they were terrific plus about $2,000 cheaper. VW North America stated that I should save all receipts....in case there ever was a recall. After two months of no car, I now have the car and it is running great! But that is after about $6,000 later....I would very much like VW to reimburse me for that???!!!! good luck. will never buy another vw...
    Ok, my letter to VW USA brought a response of "we'll give you some money toward a new VW". Hhhmm. My car is "just too far out of warranty" for any other assistance. The nice lady was sympathetic to my plight, but I really needed VW to help me. My husband can handle the sympathy part. I guess a down payment is better than nothing, but my car is paid for. Realistically, I know that's probably the best I'm going to do but it still stinks. In the grand scheme of things, how much would it really cost VW to replace my transmission? Maybe some cash, but their return would be a very satisfied, vocal customer. Also, after doing some research on the VW brand, it appears they all have a similar problem. So why would I buy another VW? At this point a motorized scooter is looking pretty good. :)

If someone were to file a class action suit, it would be YEARS before anything was accomplished. The attorneys would benefit more than the classes would. The safety folks won't force a recall until someone dies.

I included a link to this thread in my letter, perhaps they will monitor it. Not sure what good that does, but I'm grasping at straws here. I haven't heard anything in response to my letter from the local dealer, but they probably figure the response from USA settles it.

I really, really miss customer service. I'm waiting for my formal letter from VW before I decide how to proceed. VW Germany? Maybe give Chevrolet a chance to shame VW? Maybe rent a billboard to show my displeasure with VW?

Dianne :sick:
  • sundevil77sundevil77 Member Posts: 8
    The beetle convertible has been my biggest nightmare. Do not buy this vehicle! You will waste a lot of time dropping it off to the dealer for repair after repair. And it the same repairs over and over and over. VW will not acknowledge they have an issue with a part, it doesn't matter how many times they will just keep replacing a faulty part with another defective part. Window regulators will become your car's new middle name!
    I also have a VW new beetle convertible and have reached a point that I just want to spread the word as to my dissatisfaction so nobody has to go through what I have. My transmission has been replaced, my window regulators 16 times, my convertible top 3 times, the brake lights, the trunk switch, the airbag faulty, need I go on? These issues have been an issue from the beggining (purchased brand new) and have contacted VW of America, they pretty much said "That's nice, how about a $750 voucher to buy a new VW?" Are you kidding me?! They do not stand by their product in the least! My vehicle has spent 115 days off and on at the VW dealer for repairs! And VW could care less! I just sumbitted a claim to BBB and am contacting an attorney. I wasn't able to get to your link/thread you put at the bottom of your post, but I would be happy to share any results I get through my claims.
  • 11jbjp11jbjp Member Posts: 1
    Purchased a used 2002 beetle turbo (automatic trans) for my daughter. had a few issues with the transmission. It was stuck in 3rd gear and I had a check engine light. I read the code 0748 Transmission solenoid pressure valve. If you manually shifted from 1st to 2nd to 3rd it would work normally.
    Took it to the dealer here in GA. explained the issue and told them it is not a transmission failure as it will manually shift. They called me the next day and told me the transmission is bad. I asked what they based that on and the service manager told me it was based on the dark color of the oil. I asked if they read the trans code or performed pressure tests or any other diagnostics and he said trust me the trans. is bad, he has seen this issue before. I picked it up and brought it home. Investigated it more, bought a repair manual and decided to replace the wire harness that goes into the trans case and replace one solenoid in the transmission control valve after removing the control valve and testing each of the 7 electrical solenoids on the trans. control valve. Found one with with different OHM value from the others. Put it back together and tested it. It still had the same trouble until I cleared the code, then it worked perfectly. Perhaps since it was a safe mode condition the code had to be cleared before it would function properly. It seems many people get burned with the cost of a new trans. because the dealer will not perform proper diagnostics. 5 hours labor and $280.00 in parts, instead of $5500.00?? I was fortunate to have the background to do this myself. Why do they get all that training if they don't use it??
    PLEASE READ:

I finally broke down and took my Beetle to the shop. It had the same problems everyone else's car did: hard shifting with banging, etc.

The mechanic put my car on the computer and said that the transmission wasn't reporting any errors, but that the valve body was broken. The valve body is PART of the transmission, but not the entire transmission. He warned me that if they took the transmission apart and it was broken, they would need to replace it, but he didn't think that would be the case.

Fortunately, my only issue was the valve body. The repair cost me $2100. That sucks! But it's a lot better than having to replace the entire transmission to the tune of nearly $6 grand.

A certified VW mechanic said online that many VW dealers are making people replace their entire transmission when it's just the valve body that's broken. If you take your car in for repair, make sure you ask the service rep whether it's just the valve body that is broken. This could save you $4,000. Shame on those VW dealers who are shystering their customers!
    This is exactly what happened with my transmission. The valve body was screwed....that cost us (New Zealand dollars) $6500, just to replace that! That was actually more expensive than having the transmission reconditioned which would have cost around $4500...but it is very expensive getting VW parts in NZ.
    Finally managed to get an insurance payout as the damage to the valve body was (possibly) caused by an accident which damaged the pan and the filter. The insurance company paid out $3500 - they discounted the cost of the repair because they said that VW Beetle transmissions only last 100,000km before they will die anyway and ours had done close to that at the time.
    I have now, reluctantly put my beetle cabriolet on the market, it is running beautifully now, but I am worried that something else will go wrong....has already had a waterpump, thermostat, airbag sensor and the transmission die on us at a total cost of around $11,000. Luckily mostly covered by the mechanical warranty we purchased with the car, but that runs out in May and I don't think I want to own it after that!! While I love driving it, it is the most expensive car to repair that I have ever owned.
    Interestingly enough....my Bug is a 4 cyl 6 spd automatic. I had no idea what that meant until today. :) After reading some of the recent posts, I decided to experiment. I have driven the car off and on today and experienced NO problems. I used the manual shift option (tiptronic part?), to the right of the normal gear shift gears. It's been fun, I've never driven a car with a manual transmission. So, maybe I'm crazy, but it would seem if I needed a new transmission the gears wouldn't shift easily regardless of what I did. Hmmmm. No hesitations, no jerking (expect for downshifting, but that's because I don't know what I'm doing).

In any event, I've ordered a handy dandy VW repair manual, it should be here by the weekend. My husband (he's built several cars) is convinced he can fix the problem.

I'll report back, am crossing my fingers and toes!! I truly love my car. :sick:
  • vwsucks2vwsucks2 Member Posts: 3
    Hello fellow paper weight owners,
    I bought my wife a 2003 VW New Beetle CONV. MAY of 08. I went to a local dealer here in clarksville, tn. Gary Mathews VW. First thing the car had under 60,000 miles and they didn't give us any kind of warranty what so ever. But this was my wife's dream car so i bought it any ways. I am a jack of all trades I work on everything with a motor. Well first thing was had to buy tires the same month I bought the car. 2 A new battery 3months later 3. the little ashtray thing in the back was broken 4. The dealer tried to charge me for a crash sensor that was recalled to be installed 5. the passenger side window regulator on the top was broken causing the cable to break and bind well the window was stuck. Ordered one on Ebay thought maybe I would get a good one well no same problem i used it though cause i needed her window up well it broke too. Now i just ordered a brand new one from a vw dealers warehouse store which MAN they are WAAAAYYYY cheaper than the dealer or anyone else. VW wanted over 275 for it cost there 108 brand new and warrantied. Well needles to say they did a recall for the same problem the beetle is having on the Jetta. But not the Beettle. Now to 6. The Torreck B transmission switch is bad well that is what the dealer from my hometown in ohio said. The car will sometimes bang in to gear and also the car will get stuck in what ever gear it is in sometimes and the little squares will be over ever gear on the dash which indactes transmission malfunction. They said it is due to the trip tronic switch (toreck B switch) I ordered it for 30 from the same company but the dealer will have to install it cause i dont have any way to get trans oil back in it. 7. The water temp light (Blue) will randomly come on at times not all the time but sometimes for a while and will go back off at times, UGHHHH I traded my near paid off car that had no issues for this heap of junk :mad:
  • beetleturbosbeetleturbos Member Posts: 2
    My only question to u. why did u ever buy the car without a warranty. sorry, but u
    have no one to blame but yourself. Besides it should of been checked out by a
    reputable vw mechanic. Sounds like u got it for low $ and took the chance u could
    repair yourself. Lastly, the dealer must give at least a 7 day warranty or u think
    warranties are for jerks.
    LOL okay so I bought the car for my very eger wife. And reputable VW mechanic yeah right are you F***ing kidding me this is how good they are. I called to have my transmission flushed and new fluid 400 plus tax. Back in my home of record OHIO 275. WOW why dont you do what I should have done and read reviews on the place that raped me. And no I did not get it for the LOW as you would say i paid 14000 for it if that is low tell me where you work. I am in the Army and unfortunitly I do not just throw 14000 around. And a 7 day warranty what state are you from? I did not have any issues until about a week and a half later. We have two vehicles and I have only put 15000 or so miles on it in 2.5 years. O by the way today the check engine light came on saying the coolant system malfunction. Well anyways I posted to talk about my Junk VW like the others here did. Not to talk about others.
    LOL okay so I bought the car for my very eger wife. And reputable VW mechanic yeah right are you F***ing kidding me this is how good they are. I called to have my transmission flushed and new fluid 400 plus tax. Back in my home of record OHIO 275. WOW why don't you do what I should have done and read reviews on the place that raped me. And no I did not get it for the LOW as you would say i paid 14000 for it if that is low tell me where you work. I am in the Army and unfortunately I do not just throw 14000 around. And a 7 day warranty what state are you from? I did not have any issues until about a week and a half later. We have two vehicles and I have only put 15000 or so miles on it in 2.5 years. O by the way today the check engine light came on saying the coolant system malfunction. Well anyways I posted to talk about my Junk VW like the others here did. Not to talk about others.
  • buggedout1buggedout1 Member Posts: 19
    About 4 or 5 months ago a person sent out a message about filing a class action suit. I know at one time I sent a note saying I was interested in placing my name on that list, but I have yet to see anything. Has anything started? I have been driving my 2004 vw, with the new transmission, for a couple of months now, and it has been great.....when people stop me and ask I just say "it's cute, but don't ever think of buying a vw"....I want a bumper sticker that says "it may be cute, but ask me about the new transmision"....anyway, good luck to all of you out there....I certainly would like the $4400 check from VW for my repair work!
  • ivanhoe9ivanhoe9 Member Posts: 4
    Had the banging into gear problem into the dealership repair over the course of a few years. Sometimes it would go away and then return. They kept putting me off. On one visit after I was told that it was OK I asked to take a test drive with the mechanic. We drove awhile and the dame thing was shifting fine! Then we went around a turn and it slipped and banged so hard that guy smacked his head on the rest. That was it new transmission under warranty…I was lucky. Now I have the electrical problems.
    :lemon: My advise: get rid of this car! Not to be the bearer of bad news, but trust me, I have had 2 of them. The problems will continue, I also got a new transmission but the problems started a few months later and VW will continue to say there's nothing wrong!
  • vwnomore1vwnomore1 Member Posts: 1
    I have had the same problem with my 2005nb. the dealer told me it needed a new transmission for the sum of $6900.00. Spoke to anyone who would listen at vw of america. they offered $1000.00 off of a new car.lol!!!

anyway I went to a transmission shop and they changed the valve body on the trans for $2000.00. Still sucks to have to pay anything but it sure beats $6900.00. The dealer says they do not repair only replace. they make it seem like the trans is no good at all when it may only be the valve body. probably causing people to spend $4000.00+ to buy a new trans that may not be needed. what a scam!!! My car is running better than when it was new. makes me think the problem was there all along. Defenitely will not buy another vw since they don't have any product integrity. Hope this helps a little.
    Thanks for sharing... wow, exactly my experience. Glad you got them to replace the valve body instead of the transmission. $2000 sucks - and you're right - trying to get someone to buy a new transmission when all they need is a valve body is criminal. My car runs MUCH better than it ever did. I agree with you... I wonder if the problem has been there all along. Even my friends have commented about how much better the thing runs. Interesting to hear that we had exactly the same experience with exactly the same car (mine was a 2005 New Beelte, too).
    Yeah we did the same thing and I thought the same way you did. My triptonic worked well for a while but after a bout a month we began to have the same issues not going into gear or jerking when we shifted. please let us know what you repair and the steps you took. I have thought about starting with the sensors first then valve body if that doesnt work. we have already dropped the pan and had transmission flushed that didnt do [non-permissible content removed]. but we know that there was no metal in the pan or on the magnet so the trannie is good. any soulution would help there are a lot of people that post problems but not many of us here have solutions. I wish your husband the best of luck.