Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volkswagen Beetle Transmission Problems

Comments

• Options
    upsetvwownerupsetvwowner Member Posts: 3
    Thanks vwbugssuck

I have been waiting for something to happen for 8 months on it's own but your last post inspired me to get off my but and file my complaint. I just finished it and it took me about 5 min. All they asked for was to discribe the incedent and a seperate page for your personal information so I may be contacted if necessary. I have attached the link and encourage everyone to stand up for all of us.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/defects/

I also attached this link to this blogg as 264 reasons they should listen to our complaint.

Good luck to all of us.
  • Options
    belinda1belinda1 Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased a 2002 beetle for my daughter havent even made the first payment and the transmission went out along with the brake switch windows and the windshield cracked. All in the first 2weeks. So what do I do can't take it back cost 4200.00 to get the transmission fixed not to mention the windows. So if anyone has any advice I sure need it. Don't know if the brake switch going out would cause the transmission to go or not but I sure got took on this car deal. Paying for something I can't afford to fix. I am just paying for it to sit at a garage guess they will drag it here and I can look at it every time a payment is made and just wish I had something to drive. I HATE VW BEETLES !!! They are Cute but not that Cute! Belinda
  • Options
    tpadelfordtpadelford Member Posts: 33
    If you bought it at a dealer you may have a limited warranty on it. you need to look at your paperwork. If you bought it from a private party you may be screwed unless they bought an extended warranty that extends to you. Also sometimes you may think you do not have a warranty when you actually do so look at the paperwork and get the car back to where you bought it from. Also see if you have any outs in your state i.e. lemon laws or if the dealer has a trial and exchange program. If none of these work out Find a shop that specializes in V.W. The first step is to have them check the magnet to see if there is any metal in the pan. If no metal your transmission may still be O.K. the valve body may just need to be replaced. Also when they check the pan don't have them waste the fluid if it is good. Most specialty places will work with you because they know how expensive this mess can be. If there is metal in the pan you have two choices one rebuild it for about 3000 to 3500 or get a replacement for about 4000. a valve body is 1000 or so and if you can reuse the fluid you wont have to pay for that but they may want to replace the fluid and filter this would be around 400 dollars. so in short if magnet is o.k. you may be able to replace valve body and filter and fluid for a total of 1000 to 1500 dollars. these bugs are a mess. One other thing to check into is that if you have comprehensive insurance you may be able to get the insurance company involved and file a comprehensive claim. Comprehensive claims are sometimes not easy because there may be strict guidelines for getting your claim approved. I filed a comprehensive claim to get mine fixed but it was because someone caused harm to my car by putting the wrong fluid in it and it was documented. It would be a good idea for you to look at all paper work on the car and see what work has been done if you have that information. Then if there has been any type of transmission service done look into that and see about any warranty from anyone who has worked on the car. Also if there has been work on it cross reference the type of fluid used with the type that is required by the maintenance manual. This cross referenceing is how I found out the incorrect fluid was used and was documented on my paperwork so I had all of the ammo needed to get my claim approved. There are different types of transmissions and different fluids that are special to the type of transmission you have. and if the transmission has been serviced by a garage that does no know any better they might think it is O.K. to use a similar type but not the same type of fluid. I had a mechanic once tell me the fluid type did not matter and he was wrong. I am in the aviation field and the Germans have modeled their cars after aviation technology. In American cars it may not be a big deal but in these cars it is huge. Do not let just any one work on your car. Take it to a specialty shop.Have them cross reference any information on the car you can find. Also get a car fax from carfax.com There may be something in the history you can track down. Like if it was serviced at a dealer and you can call or write the service manager at that dealer to get a more detailed history if you see there was service work done on the transmission. Maybe a new one was put in or they replaced a transmission control module anything that can help you claim that the car has had an existing condition and should therefore be covered by V.W. or the dealer the work was done at. The only other thing I can tell you is to get a hold of the regional rep at V.W. and see if there is anything they can do after you have compiled all of the information I have compiled. I can say that when I got my carfax
    I was surprised to see that there was a problem within the first month my car was put into service. Apparently the previous owner had a problem with it and I saw on the carfax record that they had replaced the transmission control module (500) which could also be the issue if your magnet is clean of any metal. Good luck to you I hope it works out. I took me five months to get mine fixed. I hope all this information has not been confusing. if you have any further questions let me know.
  • Options
    elenewlifeelenewlife Member Posts: 21
    Oh brother I'm so sorry! My flywheel in the transmission went at 7500 miles! Knew then and there I had a problem on my hands. Who did you buy it from, someone private? The ONLY recourse we have at this time is to file a claim with the NTSB (National Transportation Safety Board). If they see enough of these bum transmissions they will RECALL the car as the Nissans have been recalled and the other duds that were manufactured with defects. It is THE only recourse at this time. I won't tell you the other problems the car was MADE with. A few hours on the internet and you'll find out yourself. There is a website "Ask a VW expert" who can also help you go in the right direction. Get the car away from a garage that isn't VW. ONLY VW can help you. A VW dealer who is sympathetic will sometimes take it off your hands as a trade and get you in another car. They don't like the bad PR. And there's LOTS of it with the Beetles. They didn't stop making them for no reason. Cute as heck but loaded with problems. I know. Believe me. First and ONLY VW to give me any trouble. I was a loyal VW driver all my life. ONLY car with problems. So sorry. Get moving. There IS help out there.
  • Options
    buglessbugless Member Posts: 2
    I had the weekend planned out-the 2004 Bug picked out-a deposit down to hold the Bug for me - my girlfriends signed up for the road trip from Washington to Oregon to buy the car of which my daughter's dreams are made of, and then my invaluable friend suggested this site to evaluate the adorable Blue Bug, which is staying right where it is, on the dealer's lot.
    It was sad to tell my daughter that a Bug is off the menu; I'll keep my fingers crossed for you all that VW is made to reimburse you for the multiple miseries you've endured. Good Luck.
  • Options
    cbahalocbahalo Member Posts: 5
    I've had my 2005 Convertible Bug for 5 years, had nothing but trouble. The dealership has been great and eaten a lot of the troublesome dollars, but the last straw just snapped. The rear passenger window quit working. I drive with the top down and the windscreen in place, the only time the window ever moves is when I lower or raise the rag top. A rebuilt motor for it was $535! A new one would have cost $1000. I also have a 4 door Buick with 195,000 and have NEVER had a window motor problem on it. I no longer LOVE my car. I will be selling it and replacing it with a BUICK.
  • Options
    Oh boy, isn't that awful? Boy thank heavens I haven't had those types of problems although the button which raised the top did fall off and I had to pay to have that replaced. No window issues. Only transmission or drive train issues. ONLY I say, right?

I'm so sorry. If you scan the internet you'll see your problem is quite common. Just check THIS site alone and you'll find it. I'm so sorry. We've all had so many problems with these and spent a fortune. It's quite sad. I wish you well.

Go out and file your "mess" with the NTSB (the National Transportation Safety Board). They DO listen. Only way we might ever get any money back or a recall on them.
  • Options
    nospfnospf Member Posts: 3
    I'm sorry.... This makes me scared to death..... Just got rid of a lemon Mustang... only to find out Beetles have so many problems. My 10,000 miles check is coming up and I'll ask them once again to check my ignition switch. Live and learn.
  • Options
    nanlifenanlife Member Posts: 1
    I bought mine used, at 64,000 miles. the transmission went at 78,000 miles. The dealer said they don't fix them, must be new. I said..wait...isn't it under warrentee? Yes, by 13 miles..yes only 13 miles! Dealer said, oh then we will fix it.. hm? thought you said you couldn't? But they tried to fix and it wouldn't so I did get a new one for free.
    Now.. Top motor broke. I think the little door was jammed and when it finally opened the mechanism broke.Dealer said needs replacing, $400 parts, $400 labor.
    Ugh! I am having someone else look at it. No longer in warrentee. Should have gotten the extended. Would have paid for itself 10 fold!
    Other problems have been window motors, those were replaced. Windsheild cracked, seat latch falls off.
    Lucky I had a warrentee between 60-80 thousand..but now.. I am afraid. Should I keep it? 120,000 miles now, newer transmission...or should I sell before my window fall out? Feel free to contact me, Nanlife@gmail.com
  • Options
    Boy where'd the dealer get that info on the transmission? It is COVERED (or was) until 100,000. VW was always so good about their drivetrain warrantee. So the guy was jerking your chain and thank heavens you got the transmission.

That other stuff is all pretty typical of the electrical/miscellaneous issues the car has had. Put those things in the search engine on the internet and you'll see hundreds of complaints just like yours. The only thing anyone can do is file a complaint with the NTSB. They then get a record of all of it and maybe if they see enough activity it screams "Recall" them and we get our money back. Or at least some of it. The transmission problems specifically are pretty common.

I'm in that awful place now where I've put so much into it I really can't afford to get rid of it. I have to drive it for awhile and try to get some of my money back. I keep praying nothing else too serious goes on it. I just knocked on anything wood that I could find.......

Good luck to YOU!!
  • Options
    jcrabjcrab Member Posts: 1
    Pamelot,

I am having the same problems with my 2000 beetle. The automatic transmission wont shift above first gear after it has been driven for awhile. Dealer couldnt find anything wrong with it. Any advice would be most appreciated.
  • Options
    Oh I'm so sorry for you. Trust me, been there, done that. TWO things I had go wrong and BOY did I have a hard time.

First thing was the FLY WHEEL ASSEMBLY in the transmission. When the car got hot, anytime it was overheated, say sitting in traffic, oh boy, it jumped for joy everywhere. Had to be pushed off the side of the road, then towed. This was in the beginning. After awhile I learned just not to sit in traffic, or on a hill, or ever let it get hot. That was in the beginning. As it got more miles on it it didn't matter. Dealer did NOTHING for me. This stuff started around 7500 miles and they KNEW it had problems. VW manufactured these cars with transmission problems. Knew all about it. Wanted ME to pay. I said no way. Drove it until about 75,000 and then it was disabled and HAD to be fixed. Once I saw what a flywheel WAS I knew immediately that was my problem. As the car got hot this thing wobbled and got all out of round and literally I could see how my car would drive and shift with that thing.

A friend of mine, also a Beetle driver, had problems with the actual stick shift itself needing to be screwed back into the transmission itself!! Whoever heard of such a thing? But THAT was HER problem. Imagine that. Went through all the things that I did, paid thousands, and when HERS got hot it literally wiggled away from the stick shift and did the same stuff as mine. Boy THAT was tough to diagnose but eventually she did figure it out. Could've bought a new Beemer for what she's spent on hers. Me, too.

Terrible thing to go through, isn't it? Sorry you've had to "join the club".
  • Options
    You are screwed. you will do all the research like many of us to find the best course of action only to find yourself more confused and not sure what you should do. My advice is to take it to a v.w. specialty shop and hope they do not rip you off. good luck.
  • Options
    shaunnalshaunnal Member Posts: 27
    There are only about 25 complaints on NTSB, compared to the number of vehicles sold that is nothing. You must file your complaint! Go to NTSB and do it now! Another place, if you were almost involved or you were involved in an accident is nhtsa.dot.gov to file another complaint (have your VIN handy if possible). In addition, you need to go to consumeraffairs.com to file a complaint there as well as request a review for class action lawsuit. Need to get the word to those individuals who can help!
  • Options
    orangebugorangebug Member Posts: 13
    edited August 2010
    My 2004 VW New Beetle Convertible with Triptonic transmission, with only 53,800 miles, lurches in the lower gears after the car warms up in about 10 minutes. The car will not shift smoothly between the lower gears and often revs up to 5000 rpm before it "clunks" into higher gear. The VW Dealer mechanic would like to replace the transmission, at a cost to me of $6800.

An alternative would be to go to someplace like Aamco or a local shop and have the transmission rebuilt. Does anyone have any experience with a rebuilt transmissions reliability? It would be way cheaper than a new one.

My research has learned that the first generation of VW’s double clutch transmissions had a chronic weak point. They combine a wet clutch (as in traditional automatic) and a gear part (as in traditional manual transmission), however both are lubricated out of same oil sump. The gear part causes the oil to be more contaminated with wear particles (vs. traditional automatic transmission). This contaminated oil is used also in the valve body and the wet clutch, and these wear particles can deteriorate the performance of the wet clutch (clutch material, resulting in slippage, or clutch and gear change hydraulic controls, resulting in defective shift strategies). Once that happens, damage is usually irreversible. VW changed the oil service recommendation recommend from (fill for life) or 100,000 miles to 40,000 miles. Even at this reduced amount, they clearly still had a problem. They probably modified the design since but have not admitted it. VW has not been ethical in their handling of the defective transmission design.

I am planning a letter writing campaign to flood VW with complaints. Has anyone had any success?

In addition, I have filed my complaint, along with many others, on the NHTSA website:

If you haven't filed a claim on this website, please do so, it may be our best hope of a recall or at least reimbursement for the repairs. :(
  • Options
    buggedout1buggedout1 Member Posts: 19
    Yes, I also have the 04 convertible bettle..I brought it to Aamco about 15,000 miles ago..and they worked wonders! It is amazing how other mechanics see design problems that VW didnt'! VW said they never heard of the problem - very insulting! They needed to rebuild a few things...works great now. I also registered a complaint with NHTSA and also the consumer website that someone earlier in the week suggested. I let all those people who think the car is cute that I would never buy another VW and tell them of the need for a new transmission at 80,000 miles...absolutely not acceptable to me. Please let me know of any organized letter writing campaign; also thinking of writing to the Wall Street Journal for their "auto" advice. Save all your receipts for any work done.
  • Options
    vwbugssuckvwbugssuck Member Posts: 15
    My car still sits in my driveway as I cannot bring myself to spend between 5500 and 7500 for a transmission when the car is bluebook at 7500. The re-built by volkswagen is only guaranteed up to 12,000. I would check your warranty re the transmission, I thought it was up to 65,000. Even if it is only 50,000 I would contact VW of America to discuss, only 3,000 outside of warranty, they should just pick it up but don't wait any longer. Good that you filed a complaint! I wish others would do it! I've been trying to find an attorney who would take a class action lawsuit but no luck so far. The more complaints the better!! Let me know how it goes with VW of America and good luck! Cathy
  • Options
    Thanks, I will let my car limp to Aamco and get an estimate.

I will continue to post as I make progress in my fight with VW. I am going to send them a book with 56 pages of printouts from this forum, 14 pages of NHTSA complaints on 2004 convertible, and copies of what the mechanics tell me.

Wall Street Journal is a great idea. Also, what about somebody calling the "Car Talk" guys on NPR? I wonder what they would think? At least we'd get a good laugh.
  • Options
    My car hasn't been fixed yet, it is out of warranty (5 years) and VW was not receptive on the first call. My husband called, the woman listened politely and offered nothing.

I am going to send VW of America a book with 56 pages of posts from this forum, 14 pages of complaints on NHTSA website, and repair estimate from the VW mechanic.

There was a post sometime last year on potential class action, nothing ever became of it. Was that you? How many people are required for class action? For my model alone there are 36 complaints on NHTSA, I'm sure there are many more who haven't filed a claim. Too bad, such a cute little car!
  • Options
    nataliemacnataliemac Member Posts: 14
    Hi there,

I've got a 2003 Beetle, and I got the same story from the dealer. And their apologies that I was 100 miles out of warranty. The warranty apparently expired at 65,000. I had had trouble with it clunking and shifting hard for months, and had taken it to the dealer four times complaining of the problems and each time they claimed they couldn't find any problem.

Then at 65,100 miles, the transmission just completely froze up on a busy Los Angeles freeway. Thank god I was able to get to the side without causing a major accident. I had the tow truck take my car to the dealer and they said new transmission for $6,800 and refused to do anything for me about the warranty even though they had previously checked the car out four times.

I got a tow truck to take the car to an old-time transmission shop in business and under the same owner since the 1960's! Seriously. They were able to rebuild the transmission. I'm over 100K miles now and the car's been fine. I also had to replace a Valve Body and a Transmission Control Unit, I think it was called.
  • Options
    Thanks. The part of your story about VW warranty is pretty sad, but thanks for the advice on going to another shop, I will try that next and keep posting on my journey to get my peppy little car back!
  • Options
    rayalrayal Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 VW Beetle Convertible that I have been told needs a new transmission for $6000. I've owned it 2 years and already have replaced an 0-2 sensor, water-pump, as well as, took it to the dealer to fix an airbag recall, that stayed fixed for a whole 5 days. Now my rear windows are sticking and my driver window falls into the door. It is parked in my driveway because it is too dangerous to drive, jumping, jerking, getting stuck in 3rd gear, shifting at strange times, etc. I have filed complaints with Office of Defects Investigation - www.odi.nhtsa.dot.gov and with consumersaffairs.com. If you are having problems with your transmission you should too. Maybe we can get some resolution together.
  • Options
    rayalrayal Member Posts: 2
    I did it, your right we need more complaints!!!!
  • Options
    exiledforuexiledforu Member Posts: 3
    Same problem here. I have a 2006 Beetle convertable. It has been "clunking" for about 2 months. It currently has 82,000 miles on it. I called AAMCO and they will be looking at it on Monday. They said they have had to repair the tranny already on several other beetles. What has worked in the meantime is letting up on the gas as it is shifting. I will start registering my complaint today.
  • Options
    exiledforuexiledforu Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone had problems with the temperature light staying on red, when the car is cold?
  • Options
    same mileage as mine. keep complaining, this is a definite recall on the transmission, in which VW will not take responsibility! AAMCO was terrific with my new transmission, not only alot less than VW, but new what they were doing. At the time that my car was at AAMCO they had also just gotten another 04 beetle convertible with the same issue!! wow, and VW says there is no problem????
  • Options
    You DO know if it's the TRANS and NOT the flywheel (which is the CLUTCH) it IS covered BY VW!!! IS AAMCO TELLING ANYONE that??? VW covers the transmission (drivetrain) up to 100,000 miles. What it does NOT cover is anything related to the clutch. So if you have a 5 speed and your flywheel goes you're screwed. I have a running issue with VW on this. Just TRY to drive your car without a clutch. IT IS part of the drive train. VW says no. And this flywheel thing was manufactured defective. ALL these people with Transmission issues: KNOW THEY WILL MAKE GOOD on the transmission!!! So before you spend the money - find out what it is. They DO cover it!!!!
  • Options
    lemonvwlemonvw Member Posts: 3
    I sure wish VW would do something to help us on these transmission.I will NEVER own another VW product. They know they has a problem with the transmisson and want to the right thing and fix them. Only thing we can do is spread the word and now with the internet, people will learn not to BUY a VW OF any kind. I too need a transmission 6 speed . They want about 6,000.00 to fix it. I have no other choice but to fix it. But, I do have a choice about buying another piece's of JUNK. READ THAT VW CEO.
  • Options
    Several questions:
    1. How many miles are on your car?
    2. Did you get an estimate from anywhere besides the VW dealer? Others have told me to try a regular transmission shop like Aamco, which I haven't done.
    3. Did file a complaint on the NHTSA website?

I am working on a letter (actually a book) to send to VW highlighting our situation, since I'm not paying for this without at least a little fight!
  • Options
    didn't want to give VW any more money -- also was told $6500 without labor!! so we took the car to the AAMCO(Portsmouth,NH) - these guys were nice and very good; amazed the VW hasn't recalled. good luck. spreading the word to everyone who tells me my car is so cute!!!!! don't buy VW.
  • Options
    justin47justin47 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 04 Beetle Convertible and after changing the transmission fluid I still get some jerking changing gears. It is most prevalent on a hot day and sometimes it stays in gear and won't come out unless I turn the engine off and sometimes that doesn't work. Early in the morning when I first start out it is fine and shifts normally.
  • Options
    blackdog20blackdog20 Member Posts: 19
    You need to file a complaint with the NTSB (the National Transportation Safety Board). You can do it on line. It is the Only way we might ever get any money back or a recall.

Don't bother calling VW. They don't care. Spread the word... Don't ever by a VW product ever again. They suck.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Sorry to hear about your bug. How many miles are on it? My car 04 convertible started the same way at about 53,000 miles, and got worse. It is hot most of the time here in the south so it doesn't take long for the car to warm up and start lurching. I took it to the VW dealer and they wanted $6800 for a new transmission, but said it might "only" be the valve body which runs about $2100 from the dealer. They said they wouldn't know until they took things apart and had a look.

I am taking my car to Aamco today and will keep you posted.

To file a complaint with NHTSA, the website blackdog is referring to is:

I have also called VW to complain, and sent them an email. Next comes the letter writing campaign to VW. They really should be held accountable, this problem is not uncommon.
  • Options
    mrhoometurfmrhoometurf Member Posts: 1
    How do I check the Auto-Trans fluid level in a 2005 VW Beetle? I've removed the star plug and can see the level is well below the inner hole rim. What fluid does VW recommend as a fluid? Where can I find out? Can I remove/repace the fluid? Is there a filter/screen? (Note to self: Do not start car with star plug out, If so, bring extra towels)
  • Options
    vwbugssuckvwbugssuck Member Posts: 15
    Well, you got a lot further than I...I was told that you can't check it that it is a sealed transmission and doesn't need to be checked cause it's maintenance free.
  • Options
    sealed unit. i had mine changed. it will not help. your tranny is junk. file your claim and wait.
  • Options
    Yeah um you really shouldn't have removed your spark plug and by the way that was oil you saw not transmission fluid.you can actually google the procedure to change the fluid the problem is that there are many fluid types so you cant get it wrong or you will be screwed and will need a new transmission that is if you dont already. you need to call the dealer and tell them the type of car with the vin number so that they can give you the correct part number and yes you have to get it from them. However first see if it is under warranty by talking to service. if not I recommend you take the car to the dealer and have them look because you may have metal in the pan. If so new transmission 4500 to 6000 dollars so dont screw around and do this yourself because anything you do will void the warranty so be careful. and yes there are filters and such to get but really check with the dealer first. a flush is 500ish. you can google for parts and get them yourself but I really recomment that you dont.
  • Options
    sassygirleesassygirlee Member Posts: 1
    I was told the same thing about the transmission being sealed and have the same problem with my 2004 bug. I filed a lemon law suit but I am out of warranty so not too hopeful. How can we get a class action law suit against VW - they have been horrible in their response to my complaints.
  • Options
    People.. Read through the thread...You need to file your complaint with NHTSA. You can do it on line.. Here is their website.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm
  • Options
    virgo80virgo80 Member Posts: 1
    I just filed my complaint with NHTSA and hope everyone else having problems does as well.

I'm pretty upset right now because I have a 2004 Beetle with 56k miles on it and was just told my transmission needs to be rebuilt. I was driving it at around 30mph when the gears started slipping and now I'm left without transportation because I can't afford to pay $4,000 for a rebuilt transmission. The man that I spoke with at AAMCO said he has seen a lot of Beetles in particular coming in with the same problem, all under 100k miles.

I am so sick of VW.. perhaps they should change their logo to BS.
  • Options
    Sorry about your problem, but I am very happy that you did the right thing by filing. If more folks would do this, sooner rather than later, we might see some action. I am going to keep mine until VW is made to replace the damn thing then I am going to sell it and never by a VW product ever again. Thanks for your support.
  • Options
    Do not totally despair. I too have a 2004 Beetle, 53,000. I took it VW dealer, they said it might be a valve body, for $2100, but might be transmission for $6800.

After some research, I went to Aamco. It turned out I did only needed the valve body, at a cost of under $2000. It is still alot of money but better than $4000 or $6800. So far, the car is running great but I've only put a few miles on it.

I am keeping up the complaint process with VW, I will write more on that in another post. I made some progress with VW customer relations, told them $6800 was unreasonable. So, you might want to file a "warranty question" with VW on their website. I used every bit of space and told them I'd complained to the NHTSA and just about anywhere else I could find. VW customer relations called me back and said they would cover the cost of the valve body if the work was done at the VW dealer. However, the dealer mechanic had said the problem might be the valve body, but might be the whole transmission. I'm betting they would have probably gotten in there and then wanted to replace the transmission for the additional thousands of dollars.

Good luck, and keep up the fight!
  • Options
    yellowbuggyyellowbuggy Member Posts: 1
    HI!
    i have a 2002 volkswagen beetle gls with 98,000 miles on it, but it sounds awful and it starting to drive like crap! when i accelerate over 2 or 3 rpm's the car makes a rattling noise from underneath that it so loud also when i go up hills and steep areas it often attracts onlookers :( another problem is that when i accelerate i have to press the gas so hard or else it does not move and then it will rattle for a little bit. i have had times when i was at a red light and the i would press the gas then it would jerk forward and finally accelerate. it drives as if the car was very stiff and cold, although my temperature light is not on and neither is my check engine. lastly, i feel that my gas diminishes so quickly and i do not drive that many miles! CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!! THANKS :)
  • Options
    File a complaint with NHTSA

• Options
    girlcopgirlcop Member Posts: 6
    I filed my complaint. Hopefully they will reimburse all of us for repairing transmissions and engine problems. Someone needs to have a recall or file a class action. :cry:
  • Options
    shaunnalshaunnal Member Posts: 27
    To all those filing complaints....Thank you!! That is the only way we can have it taken care of. I just got off the phone with the NHTSA (National Highway Transportation Safety Admin) I was informed that IF its Not Safety Related.....They will not address fight for us! So anyone filing a complaint...Be sure to stress the seriousness if you feel it is Safety Issue!!!!! Also Be sure you are listing it under the right area if you file online yourself. If you dont know the right place to list your complaint, then call them! Anytime you file under the wrong place it MAY NOT be calculated to HELP US WIN THIS BATTLE!!!
  • Options
    donnasbugdonnasbug Member Posts: 1
    I have been reading everything I can find on line about the transmisson issue with these cars.Thats how I found this forum. I too am having the exact same problems with the jerking and being stuck in gear. I have filed a complaint and have called the lemon law hotline. I now have my car in a transmission shop. VW said it could be any where from 120 to 1000 or more just to tell me what could be the problem. My car only has 56000 miles on it. I would love to see something happen about this but I'm not feeling to sure about that happping. I have two codes reading on my car which are p2181 coolent temp sensor and p0845 transmission pressure sensor switch b circuit.
  • Options
    Not sure what the codes mean, but why do they want to charge you so much to tell you what is wrong?

My 2004 has 54,000 miles on it, same problems with jerking, and not shifting. The dealer mechanic said probably valve body ($2100) but maybe transmission ($6800). I complained to VW on their website under "warranty question" (I even mentioned NHTSA complaint) and said $6800 was unreasonable repair for a car with such low mileage that is only worth about $10,000. VW rep. called and offered a valve body but only if I'd do it at the VW dealer. I didn't trust them and figured I'd be out $4700 for a new transmission anyway.

I took the car to Aamco, they quoted $2000 for valve body, $3600 for transmission (including valve body). Turned out I needed the valve body, so I will write to VW and ask for reimbursement, but not too hopeful.

Good luck, keep posting and keep fighting!
  • Options
    bug_up911bug_up911 Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2010
    I also have the same problem with car jerking and not shifting. The dealer quoted for $7,200 (WTF) :mad: . Car probably only worth about $7,000.00 :cry: . I just filed a complaint with
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm and hope that other will do the same. Maybe we might get a recall to get it fixed or for other to get their reimbursement for their money.
  • Options
    bug_up911bug_up911 Member Posts: 2
    I also have the same problem with car jerking and not shifting. The dealer quoted for $7,200 (WTF) :mad: . Car probably only worth about $7,000.00 :cry: . I just filed a complaint with
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm and hope that other will do the same. Maybe we might get a recall to get it fixed or for other to get their reimbursement for their money.