Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Sentra Spec V vs Honda Civic Si

Comments

• thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    thanks for the review sstrangee!

i've been out of the biz for a bit, but i remember nissan having a 3yr 36k mile bumper to bumper, and 5yr 60k powertrain. what does honda have?

-thene

Honda's standard warranty is 3/36 B2B, 5/60 Powertrain.
  • thenebeanthenebean Member Posts: 1,124
    so its the same then? i dont remember who it was, but someone a bit further back here mentioned that honda's warranty was better, but i couldn't figure out why?

thanks thegrad for the info!

-thene :)
  • iomaticiomatic Member Posts: 48
    Nice review. Thanks, but I'll still keep my Si. :)

Let's now wait for james to come out and extrapolate how much better... the '92 Spec V is than the Si.... and end his post with "Spec V Better. Nuff said."

yeesh..
    Just some supplemental Honda warranty info, to back up my statement (for those interested). The link is to Honda's website - warranty page.

Honda Warranty Information

And, you're quite welcome thene!
  • sstrangeesstrangee Member Posts: 2
    Yes, I forgot to mention that the versions that I bought are the Sedan versions.

I use to own a 2005 Mini Cooper S and just wasn't practical for me to drive with 2 kids. So I started looking for something that still had that "zippy" feeling but could haul around 2 kids and a wife.

So, after test driving a ton of cars in all price ranges (the most expensive I tested was the 2007 G35 loaded and the cheapest was the 2007 Honda Fit), I decided to go with the Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V for the reasons in my previous post (and the cabin room that it provided).

But, like I said, it really comes down to which car you enjoy driving. My wife loves her Si and I love my Spec V.

Almost everyone has asked if we have raced yet. And the answer is no. My wife is very strict on the don't drive it hard for 500 miles rule (I'm not... lol). So we'll see in a few weeks I guess. :)
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    my 2007 civic si has a 10 year 100,000 mile warranty

2007 Civic has 3 year 36,000 mile bumper to bumper and 5 years 60,000 miles powertrain, same as 2007 Sentra.

What is different about your Civic that the warranty is longer?
  • themistoclesthemistocles Member Posts: 95
    If you want to see a very good comparison, look at Motortrends new issue, they put the Si head to head with the spec V. Si comes out ahead :) and i definitely agree.
    i got the extended warranty. the dealership sometimes will try n get you to pay like 2300-2500 for it. dont pay that though, I was able to find out from a friend how much the dealership pays for em and got that price.
  • carfanatic007carfanatic007 Member Posts: 267
    I have been laughing over your comments reading them. Comparing a 2004 Sentra SER Spec V to a 2007 Civic Si is crazy. The SI is faster, better handling period. End of disussion. Not even close. It would be a cake walk. :P
    I think motor trends comparison of the 2007 civic Si vs the 07 sentra spec-V is very good comparing the qualitys of each car.
    About cat-back systems in your car though... i somehow doubt youd really gain much power if any out of it.. All the restrictions are in the catalytic converter, so putting bigger piping behind it isnt going to do much when its restricted right before it. and in many cases youll actually lose a couple hp in lower to midrange power but maybe gain a couple in higher range power. Really your just splitting hairs(this is just in response of your 04 sentra). sounds good tho :)
    guess i wont really get into manufacturer claims on cold air intakes.
    Anyway, GO SI! hehe :D
  • k5ldbk5ldb Member Posts: 62
    I got the Sentra $650 over invoice, which is actually $350 less than invoice if you consider the rebate.

This is faulty thinking though. You paid $1650 over invoice for the car and Nissan rebated $1000. It looks warm and fuzzy the other way but in the cold light of day it objectively is $1650 over invoice.

I just bought a Civic and looked at the Si. According to Edmunds, as well as dealer quotes around here, the Si is going for well over invoice but a little off MSRP. I don't know where you saw it for below invoice but if that was actually true and not salesman speak to get things rolling that's a good deal. The Missourian in me would have to see it though.
  • cz75cz75 Member Posts: 210
    I wouldn't forget the dealer floorplan allowance either. The Sentra isn't a very desirable car in the marketplace and doesn't have the demand that would warrant paying anything over invoice. Let's not factor in the lower quality, lower reliability and lower resale of Nissans either.
  • bullardohiobullardohio Member Posts: 23
    Huh? Your math doesn't make sense to me. My quoted price was $650 over invoice, and final price was $350 under. Don't get the $1650 over invoice. And, in Ohio, one of the dealers listed the Si at $75 over invoice, which is before any negotiations. And, it had a $95 option after factory, which by my math is $20 less than invoice. Of course, I do live in Ohio, & teach engineering at a graduate university, so my math skills may not be that sharp :-)
    That's called "way too early in the morning math". I thought you said you got it for $650 over invoice with the rebate figured in. That's what happens when you read so soon after awakening.
    No worries -- at first, I was afraid you were right, because sometimes sales managers can get you tangled around the numbers.

Regarding the difference in prices, sometimes I think dealers have some type of quota within their dealership, & this can impact pricing. I know my Nissan guy told me he needed "one more sale" to step up to the next level bonus :-)
  • jd10013jd10013 Member Posts: 779
    type of quota within their dealership, & this can impact pricing. I know my Nissan guy told me he needed "one more sale" to step up to the next level bonus

Yea, most sales jobs are incentive bassed. Usually, they have a required dollar amount to reach in order to keep their job, and then different bonus's depending on how far above it they get.
  • laneglaneg Member Posts: 4
    I bought a spec-v on an impulse without really looking into the competitors as much as I should have. I basically compared the power numbers between the nissan and the honda with the nissan having a slight edge in torque, and made my decision on my idea of practicality. (slightly lower revving, more torque for around town versus higher revving and more aggressive handling for track or very twisty driving).
    I have really enjoyed my spec-v, but I did test drive the Si just to compare. First of all, the Honda has an overall better build quality. On a scale of 1-10, I'd put the nissan at 7-8, and the honda at 10. The nissan feels just as well put together, but they use cheaper materials. The honda has a much better manual shifter, better seats for corners, and handles better in the corners (little body roll and lots of grip). The honda engine and exhaust sound fantastic. Some say it's too loud, but if you are a racing enthusiast, you won't mind the noise, and you won't mind the more tightly sprung suspension that some would consider rough.
    The nissan is definitely a compromise between sport and everyday driving. I think the nissan engineers may have been trying to appeal to a larger audience with a softer, smoother ride, at the expense of more body lean in hard cornering than the honda. The nissan has plenty of grip through the turns, but the body does lean compared to the Si in aggressive driving. If you are used to an econo sedan, the spec-v feels quite sporty and you may not be able to tell much of a difference between the spec-v and the si if you don't drive your car to the limit. I enjoy the spec-v around town where it is pretty smooth over the bumps, and corners around town feel sporty in the spec-v because there aren't many hairpin turns that would reveal its greater body roll than the honda. The spec-v has good power with more torque off of the line than the honda and sprints to 60 mph in about the same time as the honda. To me, this makes it more practical around town, but if you are an all out enthusiast, who said anything about pracitcality? I have found in my spec-v that if I keep the revs above 3,000 it will pull any hill with ease, and it's much better above 4,000. The honda starts out with what feels like turbo lag, but once the engine hits 4-5,000 rpms, it takes off with what feels like a turbo, and the engine and exhaust are much more discernable than the more muffled spec-v. If you like the sound of a great engine, the honda sounds great. I have put an intake and exhaust and my spec v, and it sounds much better, but it still doesn't match the honda in sound and is not quite as smooth, (although amsoil full synthetic oil has really smoothed out my spec v).
    I don't think either car is particularly good looking - a common problem with japanese cars in my opinion. I liked the fact that the nissan was quite spartan or simple. It had just what I wanted and nothing more (cd, ac, pw, pl, 6spd). I just wanted a basic car. To some that may be a turnoff. Not to say that the honda is built with way too many extras, but it did seem more modern with a few more gadgets, (not necessarily a bad thing).
    I think this comparison is really like comparing apples and oranges. They are both fruits but taste a lot different. The honda is a no compromise track car, while the spec-v is a compromise between track and town. Obviously the honda takes sharper corners better, sounds more like a race car, and has a level better in build quality materials. It is louder, bumpier and one minded. (which is how race cars are). The spec-v is great around town and on the highway, has a softer ride, has equivalent power to the honda, and is equal on straightaways. It does have cheaper materials, and I am very envious of the honda's shifter. If I could take one thing from the honda and put it in the nissan, it would be the shifter. The nissan is suited more for around town, and I find the spec-v seats quite comfortable, but they aren't as supportive in aggressive cornering as the si's.
    There has been a lot of bad reviews for the spec-v, but I disagree. I think a lot of a people have based it against only sports car qualities, where the spec-v is a compromise, and to me it is a powerful 4 cylinder, sporty car for the driving that I do. If I had access to a track, spent more time on a track, and didn't have to worry about speeding tickets around town, I would go with the Si.
    A lot of people have ragged on the interior of the spec-v because of the red front seat belts, and g force gauge. I thought the red seat belts were cool and I didn't mind them at all. I don't know why they caused such a stir. The g force guage admittedly is dumb. They should have put a useful gauge in there like maybe transmission temperature, or a clock, or something. I do plan on replacing that gauge with something else. The g force gauge and the somewhat cheap shifter are my biggest complaints with the spec-v.
    Another item of contention is the limited slip as an option on the spec-v. I bought mine assuming it had one like previous generations, but I ended up buying one without. I was disappointed, but really, in my case, I really haven't had the need to use it even once. The only time you would really use the limited slip is in very aggressive, hard cornering like on a track, or I guess it would work in snow or rain. If you are lucky enough to get to drive like that, then by all means get the limited slip. I just didn't need it.
    Overall, both of these cars are good cars. Both with powerful naturally aspirated four cylinder engines, they are a lot more fun to drive than their econo brothers. It comes down to what you like. Are you a no compromise, all out street or track racer? Get the Si. Do you want si power, rarely leave town or the highway and want somewhat sporty driving/handling and smoother ride? Get the spec-v. Obviously, if you are a die hard Honda or Nissan fan, you've already made your decision. I'm not hard core for either. I try to find what I like and what suits me based on my desires and opinions. I think a lot of fun and years of reliability could be had with either car.
    I just got the August 07 MT with the comparison of the two cars. Their findings are similar. Basically they say the Si will follow the V anywhere and hang with it easily. The V will follow the Si anywhere and manage to stay pretty close with white knuckles and sweating on the part of the driver. Their photos show the V leaning heavily in the turns while the Si has barely any body roll at all. The Si has slightly higher numbers for handling although the difference is minimal. Both seem to be good cars depending on one's needs and wants. For someone with no brand tattoo on their tookus the Si is probably going to give a somewhat more pleasing overall experience. For the few diehards unwilling to accept the test measurements and real world performance reports the V will be their mode of transport to the tattoo parlor.
  • laneglaneg Member Posts: 4
    I'm not sure if that is some kind of slam or what. I tried to be objective, and I would no doubt rate the Si as a better sports car hands down. I just think there is a case for each. If I would have driven the Si before driving the spec-v, I'm sure I would have bought it. It's tough when a wife complains about engine and exhaust noise that I thought were fantastic. Maybe thats where I went wrong. I got married and you have to compromise. As a single guy I would have bought the Si. I think a lot of the problem stems from the fact that Nissan claims it is in the same class as the Si. Nissan shouldn't have claimed that, and the V should probably be tested against the more mainstream versions of other brands. They shouldn't have used the spec-v badging and maybe just called it a Sentra S. I do think Nissan should rethink the spec-v if they intend on it being the car for hard core enthusiasts. And what's up with the cheaper materials? How hard would it be for Nissan to use higher class materials?
    Great review.

I agree, if you're a sports car enthusiast or track driver, get the Si. If you want to cruise around town, get a Spec-V.
    that sounds about right. Keep in mind, nissan most likely trys to push performance minded buyers into the 350Z, maxima, and upcoming GTR, and 400Z, if thats what they end up calling it. Honda's only choice for performance is the Si.
    About 2 or 3 months ago someone was on here and it seemed as if he thought the prior generation V was FAR superior to the current Si sedan. It wasn't a slam on anyone although it was referenced because of his posts.
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    Honda's only choice for performance is the Si.

huh? what about the s2000?!!! what about the 6speed manual v-6 accord coupes and sedans?

i would hardly call the maxima a 'performance' vehicle, as it weighs more than the altima, and still has the limitations of fwd...which don't allow it to be grouped with the likes of the gt-r or the 350z.
    ah yes, good old james!

unfortunately, even comparing numbers from the previous generation spec v to the new si, the si is still the winner in the handling and transmission dept, as well as the interior.

the spec v is only ever so slightly quicker. (new and old versions.)
    I'm not sure if that is some kind of slam or what

i don't think it was.

Nissan shouldn't have claimed that, and the V should probably be tested against the more mainstream versions of other brands. They shouldn't have used the spec-v badging and maybe just called it a Sentra S.

but see, here is the problem. the spec-v IS supposed to be the 'hardcore' version.

Remember, there is the SE-R and the SE-R spec v. its not that the car is not 'worthy' of the title, it just really does not perform as well as the competitors.

the regular SE-R would be your 'sentra S'.
    don't believe I've ever seen an s2000 on the road, and I certainly wouldn't consider a V6 accord a performance car.

You may have a point with the maxima, but nothing honda makes is even in the same leauge as the 350, GT-r, or upcomming 400Z
    Great review!! I agree w/ everything (especially about the looks department) except for the shifter. To me, the Honda shifter was too tiny, like it was made for a kiddy car. Yes, the Nissan shifter is plastic, but at least it feels like a shifter in my hands. Just my thoughts.....
    Just saw an episode of Motorweek on PBS about the Spec V. They were generally favorable to the car but that's typical of them. They commented on the suspension being a little softer and gave performance times of 7.0 to 60 and 15.4 @ 92 in the quarter. They pointed out the red seatbelts although they didn't say just how ridiculous they are. Their unit had been abused on the brakes so it took 142 feet from 60 but otherwise they said the performance numbers should be typical and accurate.
    just because the si is a smidge better doesn't make the spec V a bad car. its also worth noting that the spec V is a bit lower in price. so the Si does give you more, but at a price.
    just because the si is a smidge better doesn't make the spec V a bad car. its also worth noting that the spec V is a bit lower in price. so the Si does give you more, but at a price.

This is true although for the few hundred dollars more the Si costs it comes with traction control and stability control you can't even get on the V. I believe the V is an excellent vehicle for what it is meant to be. In some ways it's better than an Si and in others it falls behind. I don't think it's amazingly better than the Si like at least one contributor suggested.
    the last se-r i saw (note se-r not the spec v version) was optioned out and was over 23k.

you can nab a nice sedan or coupe si for around 21 easily.
    so because you have never seen an s2k on the road its not a performance car? i've never actually seen a skyline on the road...does that not make it a performance car?

a six speed manual accord comes with enough performance to justify the name, even if it doesn't compete with a porsche.

and what about the nsx? its a bonefide gt-r murderer. honda may not have as much performance vehicles as nissan does, but considering only the se-r and 350 carry the name, its only 2 cars.
    the skyline has never been for sale in the US before, thats why you don't see many. there are a few people have imported, but thats takes a lot of money and hassle. The glass, emmision control and many other things have to be replaced to bring it up to specs in the US.

But even still, the s2k is a 2.2 liter 237 HP car. not even in the same class as the Z, or the skyline. and considering the 6spd manual accord with the v6 can't even keep up with the like optioned altima, I wouldn't consider it high performance. Not that any family sedan really is to me.

Don't get the wrong Idea, honda builds nice cars. I own one myself. But I do believe the other offerings from nissan in the performance department are the reason they hold back a little with the spec V. Nissan, going all the way back to the original 240's has always been at the forefront of performance.

and right now its just the spec V and 350Z. but the skyline is on its way, and the new 400z will be here in a year or so. that one will probaly be the car to compete with the Si, as it will be a smaller, cheaper, and lower performance twin to the 350z. everything is kind of hush hush about it now, but the test mules have been spotted a few times.
    Your not looking very hard. sentra's can be had very cheap lately. I'd be willing to gaurantee you that if you shopped around for a civic Si and a sentra spec V with the same options, you'd get the sentra for 1-2k less.
    But then you'd be driving a Sentra.

:P
    ha ha! :)

that says something: when nissan HAS to discount the performance version to get it sold. (the vehicle i mentioned has been on the lot for about 4 months.)
    But even still, the s2k is a 2.2 liter 237 HP car. not even in the same class as the Z,

i take it you are one of these people who likes hp numbers and not actual performance times right? IF i'm not mistaken, not only does the s2k handle better than the z, its quicker if not only slightly behind it 0-60 and through the quater mile.

and considering the 6spd manual accord with the v6 can't even keep up with the like optioned altima, I wouldn't consider it high performance.

proof? again, thats what the NEW accord is for...and even so, the old accord is not left in the dust or anything...again if it IS behind, its MARGINALLY behind. That does NOT consitute 'can't keep up'. :blush: and remember....to get a six speed manual altima, you had to pony up the extra dough for an SE_R model. (it was rather nice though!)

But I do believe the other offerings from nissan in the performance department are the reason they hold back a little with the spec V

this logic makes no sense...people shopping for a sporty compact USUALLY are not cross shopping a 30k roadster/coupe. They are made to appeal to different markets, nissan is not 'holding' back on the spec v: its the most powerful one they have ever built. The si is just a sharper car.

all we have proven is that nissan offers 2 dedicated 'sporty' cars:the z and the se-r.

and honda does the same.
    you don't give up, :P do you. say what you want, the s2k will not run with the Z. 237 hp is no match for the for the VQ. hell, the altima has 270. Its not like we're talikg 20 or 30 hp difference. you taling about a difference of 70 hp.

proof? again, thats what the NEW accord is for...and even so, the old accord is not left in the dust or anything...again if it IS behind, its MARGINALLY behind. That does NOT consitute 'can't keep up'. and remember....to get a six speed manual altima, you had to pony up the extra dough for an SE_R model. (it was rather nice though!)

If you want proof of the altima being faster than the accord, just look it up. There is a reason nissans VQ engine has been in wards top 10 list for 10 years now. the new accord, with a few more HP but a lot more size and weight will probably have slower times than the 07. and there is no se- altima. But once again, its a moot point. just as I dont consider the family sedan accord a "performance car" neither do I consider the family sedan Altima a "performance car".

this logic makes no sense...people shopping for a sporty compact USUALLY are not cross shopping a 30k roadster/coupe. They are made to appeal to different markets, nissan is not 'holding' back on the spec v: its the most powerful one they have ever built. The si is just a sharper car.

It makes perfect sense. Nissan still want's to keep the sentra a sedan, with more passendger and cargo room. You can't even get it in a coupe like the Si. Another part of the reason is because nissan is developing an entry level sports car bassed on the urge concept car. Its going to be a rear wheel drive 20-25k small sports car targeting 18-25 year old males. Now what car do you think that will compete with? If they build it, they have to have some separation between it and the spec V. so with that in the works, why redesing the sentra spec V much different from the regular sentra at this point, or rather, at the point the new 07 was designed?

all we have proven is that nissan offers 2 dedicated 'sporty' cars:the z and the se-r.

nissan will have four. the Z (which is getting a redesign for 2009), the GT-r, the sentra ser-r spec V, and the new yet unnammed entry level sports car.
    But then you'd be driving a Sentra.

How true. nissan really messed up with the 2007 redesign. from the base model all the way up to spec V.
    The vehicle you mentioned was a loaded se-r. that means it probably has the connection package, Nav system, and all the other bells and whistles.

but I think you get the wrong Idea man. I've never declared the spec v the superior vehicle, or better vehicle, or best vehicle or anything else.
    Realize though comparing hp to hp and torque numbers means nothing without the curb weight factored in. The S2000 is realllly light compared to even the Si or the 350Z. Different class, though.

Anyway that, and the tracks, are missing in the comparison.
    Gearing also has to be factored in as well as suspension geometry and components, tires and other things. While two vehicles may look completely mismatched on paper they may be pretty close on track.
    the s2k will not run with the Z. 237 hp is no match for the for the VQ. hell, the altima has 270. Its not like we're talikg 20 or 30 hp difference. you taling about a difference of 70 hp.

to echo what iomatic and k5ldb posted, you can' go on just numbers; the s2k does not weigh a lot. This is why i concluded earlier that you are a 'numbers on paper' man. it has nothing to do with that; there are too many other factors. (weight, gearing, etc)

There is a reason nissans VQ engine has been in wards top 10 list for 10 years now. the new accord, with a few more HP but a lot more size and weight will probably have slower times than the 07

the new accord will be competative, and i did not indicate that it will blow the altima out of the water: this is not an interior materials comparision. ;) if the times ARE indeed slower, it will be marginally.

and there is no se- altima. But once again, its a moot point. just as I dont consider the family sedan accord a "performance car" neither do I consider the family sedan Altima a "performance car".

i'm assuming you are some type of nissan fan, which is why it suprises me that you didn't know of this cars existance! there IS an SE-R altima from the previous generation: bigger exhaust, a maxima engine, 18 inch wheels, six speed manual or 5 speed sport auto, unique fascia, taillights, badging and interior. Yes, there was one.

While everyone's definition of sport is different, you don't have to drive a literal sports car in the same vein as a corvette/lambo/porsche to be able to call a car of this nature 'sporty'.

It makes perfect sense. Nissan still want's to keep the sentra a sedan, with more passendger and cargo room. You can't even get it in a coupe like the Si.

No, it doesn't. YOU may not be able to get into the si coupe, but thats fine...because honda has an Si SEDAN as well.

So the ONLY reason the sentra is a sedan is because some people shopping for 350z's who want more room will settle for this? Sorry man, no dice. :confuse:

Its going to be a rear wheel drive 20-25k small sports car targeting 18-25 year old males. Now what car do you think that will compete with? If they build it, they have to have some separation between it and the spec V. so with that in the works, why redesing the sentra spec V much different from the regular sentra at this point, or rather, at the point the new 07 was designed?

sounds very interesting, but they would be killing the sentra se-r and spec v's sales, as they retail for about 20k as well. why settle for fwd when you can get rwd? yes, there would be some seperation needed, but this car would have to be at least 23k. What would it compete with? small sporty coupes if its a 2 door, if its a sedan, it will still compete with other cars in its price range, which will still be fwd cars like the gti and si, or cheap rwd cars like the mustang.

nissan will have four. the Z (which is getting a redesign for 2009), the GT-r, the sentra ser-r spec V, and the new yet unnammed entry level sports car.

i said OFFERS not 'will offer eventually'. SO you still have the Z and the sentra. that makes 2. The gt-r will be so limited it may not even be worth including. and for that, honda will have the nsx. except it will be wearing an acura badge.

And the unnamed mystery sports car is left out too.

you don't give up, do you

didn't realize i was trying to win something. if you mean will i respond to points that are semi-baseless and easily argued, than yes, i guess i don't give up.
    But since its been popular around here;

Comparison Test

The Nissan does great, beating BMW, etc... How does Honda do?

Yeah, its old, but its the first comparison I came to on the two cars.
    goes to a comparison including the 350Z and S2000 but nothing to do with either of the cars in this particular topic. The Nissan did come in in second place though, losing to the Honda.
    I know; its for the guys who were debating on whether the S2000 was worthy of being compared to the holy grail 350Z.
    grad, thank you so much!

its funny, because while its hard to stay on topic when certain things pop up, its apparent that the spec v supporters are the first to indulge in it!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    This discussion does have a specific topic, so let's try to stick to it. Discussions about other subjects of interest certainly may be created as desired. :)
This discussion has been closed.