Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac SRX reliability, maintenance and quality

Comments

• jimpeddycordjimpeddycord Member Posts: 16
    Update: My panaramic sunroof was disassembled and rebuilt by the dealer. Seemed to help with the creaking noise until a couple of weeks ago when it started again.
    While it was in the shop for the work, they gave me a 2012 SRX loaner.

Guess what?

The sunroof creaked on the loaner.

This is a design flaw, not a problem with my car.

My wife likes the SRX, but I consider it a piece of junk.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    If you wanted for us to check into any open recalls on your vehicle, please email the last 8 of your vehicle's VIN to socialmedia@gm.com and we'd be happy to do so!

Kind regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • gtm2gtm2 Member Posts: 3
    Glad to see you folks are looking at on-line comments. I contacted your chat line at cadillac.com, but it wasn't much help - go see the dealer - I already know that. I was hoping to get someone at Cadillac involved since this problem is not unique to me. I could not find a recall - maybe you can come up with a fix and issue one. Thx
  • gtm2gtm2 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info. I have not received a recal notice, but maybe Sarah, who has been on this site for GM will get something. I haven't had any leaks so far (10K miles) so I'll keep my fingers crossed.
  • 2bogey2bogey Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2004 Cadillac SRX with 68,000 miles on it from a GM dealer. I took it to the dealer and they wanted $2500 to replace the timing cover, $200 to replace a turn signal and $450 to clean the Wheel speed sensors and $100 for an oil change.

My first complaint is I have never had to do any of these things except an oil change to a Toyota, Honda or VW. My second is why does it cost $200 to replace a light bulb? Sounds like GM wanted to get there techs more work or just a horrid design. Either way unacceptable.

Now the traction control engages for no reason. So when I am pulling out into traffic I dont know if it will go or not. I almost got nailed yesterday with my 6 year old in the car.

I was able to find a local mechanic who came with great recomendation. He changed the timing cover for $880 and the turn signal for $80. It just seems like this car is going to kill me with repair bills. I feel bad but..... back to Japan where they can make a car that works.
  • walshc001walshc001 Member Posts: 2
    We have an SRX purchased, new, in November 2010. We were recently at a shareholders' meeting in Omaha (5 May 2012). It was a hot day (90 degrees plus) and the car was parked in an outside parking lot. When we returned to the car the temperature reading was all over the place -- mostly in double-digit minus numbers. And the a/c didn't work.

After some problems with OnStar I finally called Cadillac. They sent a mechanic to our hotel, and he said that he thought the on-board computer needed to be re-booted. He did this, and the car was fine. We drove the 1,300 miles back to our home in Vermont without any incidents.

It was a hot day today (23 May) and we are now experiencing the same problem with the A/C. Temperatures are in the minus range, and the car is even warning me about the risk of ice on the road.

We're taking it off to the dealer tomorrow to see if they can find the problem -- and fix it. These postings describe almost identical problems, and I see GM asking for VIN's.

Any feedback on what has been causing the SRX air conditioning problems? It would certainly be nice if I could give our Cadillac dealer some suggestions.

Thanks,

Craig
    Good morning Craig,
    I hope that everything goes well with your dealership visit today; please keep us updated on the progress of the diagnosis! We're happy to get a case set up for you if your dealership is unable to resolve the air conditioning matter.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    gtm2,
    I am happy to look into recall information for you. Please feel free to email me with your VIN and current mileage. I look forward to hearing from you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    SocialMedia@GM.com
  • walshc001walshc001 Member Posts: 2
    We dropped our SRX at the Cadillac dealer (MacMulkin in Nashua, New Hampshire) -- and even gave the service consultant a print-out of the relevant postings from this forum. I am told they called some sort of centralized Cadillac service HQ and were told that they needed to replace the "cluster controller." The dealership also experienced the same problems we did with the a/c in our car, so they were fortunately able to see it first hand.

A "cluster controller" had to be ordered, so we returned the next day to pick up the car. As the dealership is 90 minutes or so from our home, this meant two back-to-back days with 3+ hours of driving each day. (Of course this has nothing to do with Cadillac -- but it is part of our reality.)

Started to head north with our car and its new "cluster controller." We made it about 20 minutes up the highway before the car started to get hot again. The outside temperature reading on our console showed 35 degrees -- when it was nearer to 80. We did a U-turn and headed back to MacMulkins. We're back in the loaner car, and they have our Cadillac. I told them they had a final opportunity to fix it.

I have fingers crossed.

If I have a desktop computer that starts to act up, I replace it. Nobody fixes computers. If this is being caused by the on-board computer, then it (quite simply) needs to be replaced.

Craig
    Craig,
    I'm truly sorry to see that the fix that the dealership did ended up not resolving the issue. I see that they still have the vehicle; if you would like for us to check in on the progress of the vehicle, we'd be happy to do so. We would need to set up a Service Request to do this, so please send the following information to socialmedia@gm.com: your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.
    All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • ericzoomericzoom Member Posts: 213
    I brought my 11' SRX in to the dealer yesterday for an A/C issue. It seemed to blow warm after several hours on the road. I had it in there the whole day, and they fixed the A/C issue (replaced dryer), did an early oil change and tire rotation, reprogrammed my TCM for a hard-shifting issue, and washed my vehicle. A/C is ice cold now, and ATX issue is much improved.

Great service from Coral Cadillac in Pompano,FL. :)
  • flmnfemflmnfem Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 SRX with 82K miles on it. The car has had a problematic repair history, though the last year or so it has been fine.
    I don't know if I should consider trading the car in now while it would still have some value, or hold onto it and figure it will be OK and be able to take me another 5 years or so relatively problem free. Help-I normally keep cars well over 100k miles but with this repair history I wonder if I will be able to with this one, though, again, the last year or so it has been very good.
    I am a woman, and often have my dogs and elderly mother in the car, so need to consider that too.
    Thanks for your thoughts!
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    You're probably outside of the powertrain warranty period, given your car is a 2004. I would trade it in while the going is good and look for a more reliable vehicle. Good luck.
  • flmnfemflmnfem Member Posts: 3
    Good point-thanks for your advice. Do you have any first hand experience with a similar type of vehicle but with greater realiability?
  • zpattizzpattiz Member Posts: 1
    I am hoping that the GM customer service reps will be able to review my post and assist in whatever way you are able.

I leased a fully loaded 2010 SRX and have had MULTIPLE problems.

The AC has been replaced and has been brought back 2 additional times to be fixed. Yesterday, as others reported, it didn't work, but today it does.
    The navigation system was rebooted and then eventually it had to be replaced.
    The key fobs don't work as they should and were reprogrammed and then a part was replaced.
    In the winter, the heated seats do not get warm enough.
    The car does not heat up when it started before driving. It can take up to 15 minutes to heat up or cool off sufficiently.
    There have been other issues, but a some of the forum members have reported they are intermittent and do not always show at the dealership. They will consistenty tell you, and document with their computer readings, that the car is working properly.

The service department (M & S Pawling, NY) have been cooperative and have worked to address these concerns. However, a vehicle such as this, should not continually have issues. I have attempted to work with the area rep for Cadillac. He has not called nor scheduled a meeting to discuss the continued interruptions for service. This is the reason I decided to lease this particular vehicle.

I am looking fr assistance as to the next steps necessary to come to a resolution of these problems.
    Thank you.
    :cry:
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    Unfortunately I do not as I prefer mainstream rather than luxury cars. However, I believe if you're looking for a domestic luxury car, try Lincoln (e.g. MKS) as most of the Ford-based models have at least average reliability. Otherwise, try Lexus or Infinniti. Good luck.
    We would be glad to look further into this, zpattiz. Please email the following information (in addition to any further description you would wish to add) to us at socialmedia@gm.com:
    Your name and Edmunds username
    Phone and Address
    The last 8 of your VIN and current mileage
    The name of your involved dealership

Best,
    Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • marble1374marble1374 Member Posts: 3
    I have 2011 SRX Lux All Wheel. Nothing but problems since day one. The dealer is fantastic in fixing them but there are just to many one after another and the same ones .The car is imune to being fixed uit likes to be sick. Out of the first 21 months and 13,000 miles the car has been in the dealer 4 to 5 months being fixed. Problem is not only with the car but GM itself as they give you no support in standing behind what they produce. If it is bad they should stand behind the product and the sad part is then they wonder why they are now ranked number 2 and people are not buying their product. Not everyone vehichle is perfect but stand behind it offer something other then saying we will fix it under warrantee. That is not good enough when people are paying good money to have their cars in service instead of having the use of them.
    This is a very sad thing and I will most likely have to think twice in purchasing another GM product for the first time since 1980. Very poor quality car and comany.
    We're sorry to hear you've encountered so many difficulties with your SRX. Are there any issues unresolved currently that we can look into? If you would like for us to look into your situation further, please don't hesitate to contact us at socialmedia@gm.com
  • jj316jj316 Member Posts: 24
    Thank you for your interest. At this time I have been in touch with Mr Akerson's office about the way the Cadillac rep's handled this situation as they could not nor would not do anything about this. Just put it off to the side like it was a nothing out of the ordinary problem for them and that this is what you have to expect from owning a SRX. A very unpleasant one at that.
  • marksrickermarksricker Member Posts: 3
    I am looking at an 05 SRX AWD w/ a V6 engine HAs anyone had vibration problems I see where GM has issued some statements that the V6 engine design lends itself to vibrations at highway speeds
  • marksrickermarksricker Member Posts: 3
    Has GM addressed the vibration issues with the V6 that is in the 2005 SRX please Will this cause premature engine failure
  • scott250scott250 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 SRX, AWD with V8 Northstar with 100,00miles last week. It reminds me of two movies (hence the hollywood)...first is Apocalypse Now...scene were Brando is holding his head and saying.."the horror..the horror"..my SRX has had so many issues...wheel bearings (lots of those 6 to be exact)), overheating(lots of that), radiator(replaced), bad a/c(replaced both fans and two relays), no power, suspension(air system awful so removed it and replaced with excellent quality shocks), catalytic conv.(replaced both), radio(replaced), locks and power windows. This is a real piece of engineering marvel, in other words how can real engineers actually come up with this piece of junk. I marvel at the incompetence.

I conclude my rant as follows...if you are considering one of these...do as Forrest Gump did...."run Forrest...run!"
  • professoreprofessore Member Posts: 3
    We have owned our SRX for over two years now and have the following issues. I am wondering if there are dealer fixes for them. We have already gone several rounds with one dealership to no avail on one of the issues:

Time: time and city default to Washington. I read there is a software update, but some found the fix caused other problems. Radio module replacement was the final fix. Is this true?

Front noise: we have the rubbing sound when turning either way at sow speeds. It usually only happens during cold weather. Front struts? strut mount bearing assembly? Is there a true fix?

Chrome triangular pieces (front of side doors): when we bought the car in almost a week we lost one of the chrome pieces. Easy manipulation of the strips proved that they were loose and HORRIBLY designed. Cadillac came out with a fix- a triangular piece- we contacted the dealership, they ordered the piece and installed them. At sight the piece didn't look secure. Sure enough we now have one chrome strip missing and the other sides piece looks like it is loosening up and is ready to fall. Is there a better fix now?

I have had terrible experiences with one dealership and the other that we liked closed their doors several months ago. Now our choice is to go back to the lovey-dovey dealership who acts like they know nothing (and do nothing) or to travel 45 minutes to another dealership that is owned by the same owners who had to close our preferred dealership shop.

Does GM recognize this issues? Anyone know if there are service bulletins for them? Thanks for any help.
    professore,

We're sorry that you have had trouble getting these concerns resolved with your dealership. If you would like for us to check into this further with you, please contact us at socialmedia@gm.com with more information (including your name and contact information, a summary of the situation, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your involved dealership).

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter would like to speak to car owners who use Chrysler Uconnect, Cadillac CUE or Ford's MyFord/MyLincoln Touch. If you use any of these telematics systems, please send your daytime contact information to pr@edmunds.com no later than November 20, 2012 at 1 p.m. PT/4 p.m. ET.
  • iluvgtosiluvgtos Member Posts: 1
    My wife bought the only new car we have owned, she babies it, keeps it spotless in garage, has only 27K miles on it, we have had to replace 3 fuel pumps, but it has always ran good, (NO KNOCKS OR ENGINE NOISE) and after the last fuel pump replacement, it would not crank up, took it to dealership and they informed us that the engine was worn out and has too much crank end play and the crank sensor couldn't detect engine rotation. I got in touch with GM's customer service and that was a joke, it didn't take them 24 hours to say that they couldn't do anything because it was a 2004. My argument was that it only had 27K miles, and the engine is worn out!!! WHAT A CROCK! I WILL NEVER BUY GM AGAIN!!! I have had 2 fords and one dodge all with near 200k miles with little or no problems, listen up people, don't buy Cadillac, they're junk!
  • jagcadjagcad Member Posts: 3
    I got a new SRX in September (less than 2000 miles) and have noticed that the transmission is not smooth in slow speed. Initially, i thought maybe the ECO mode is what is doing this. But it happens in regular mode too but not as much as in ECO mode.
    Has anyone else noticed this ?
    Congratulations on your new SRX, jagcad!

Have you had this transmission concern evaluated by your dealership (we understand if you're looking to gather some insights from the community before going in - just trying to get an understanding of the situation).

• ericzoomericzoom Member Posts: 213
    I have a 2011 that does the same thing also. It's almost like the ATX is hunting for the proper gear. The dealer reflashed the trans. which seemed to help a little bit, but never eliminated the issue. I've learned to live with it, because it doesn't seem to be that bad now.
    ericzoom,

Even though you've stated that you've "learned to live with it" we just want to make sure you know we're available to check into this further with you and your dealership if you wanted. Please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (including your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of our VIN and mileage, the name of your preferred dealership, and a brief summary of the situation).

• jagcadjagcad Member Posts: 3
    Thanks Sarah.

Yes, I am looking to gather some info on the forum before I take my car to the dealer.

the way you guys are proactively looking to solve the customer's issues does provide me some peace of mind.

Let me check with the dealer and hopefully the issue will be resolved.
    Hopefully you get some insights from other owners here soon, jagcad. :) Be sure to keep us posted and if you need anything we can be contacted at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name, contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and a summary of your concern).

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • professoreprofessore Member Posts: 3
    Dear Sarah,

With our laundry list of SRX ailments emailed beforehand, we took the car to Crestview Cadillac in West Covina. They replaced the squeaky (and leaking) strutts, replaced the triangular chrome pieces on the side fenders, and subsequent to my first post we had one of our headlights lose its seal, allow moisture in and short the headlamp. They replaced the whole headlight assembly. We decided to postpone the digital clock problem for the next trip. Crestview treated us with a new Escalade as a loaner, fixed everything we asked them to under warranty. I was encouraged that (compared to a dealership 4 times closer to where we live), the service rep Eddie Delira acknowledged what information we had culled from this and other Cadillac forums as important and pertinent. We will wholeheartedly go back to them for all our servicings even though they are 40 minutes away.
  • jimpeddycordjimpeddycord Member Posts: 16
    The car made this whining sound when accelerating while the engine was cold. I asked about this at one of the many dealer appointments last year and was told that the 6 speed transmissions do that while warming up. Well, the sound got worse and worse to the point of not occurring only when the car was cold but it just whined all the time. If we were using the bluetooth to talk on the phone the other person would ask "what the hell is that noise?"!
    The dealer replaced the rear drive shaft, explaining that a bearing had an issue and that there is a TSB about it.
    I can't find a TSB that looks like a match but the new drive shaft did resolve the problem.
    Moral of the story is if you hear whining from under the car take it in to the dealer.

By the way after complete replacement of the panoramic roof and sunroof, the rattling noise is back. I give up and feel that it is a design issue.

Well, I always wanted a Cadillac and I got one.

It will be the only one.

Jim
    Outstanding! Thank you for letting us know about your visit, and we're glad you've found a place that will take such great care of you!

Sarah, Cadillac Customer Service
    We're sorry to hear that you're having these troubles with your SRX, jimpeddycord. Is there anything we can look into further for you?
  • movingtotxmovingtotx Member Posts: 1
    After reading this forum, I am looking at alternatives luxury SUVs (e.g., BMV, Infiniti).
  • ventluckventluck Member Posts: 2
    All the gages on the dash of my srx 2011 are going crazy, Onstar says car is being stolen while I'm driving . Bluetooth cuts in and out. On star had no idea what it was!
    We're sorry to hear about these issues with your SRX, ventluck. Have you been in to the dealership to get this checked into yet?
  • ventluckventluck Member Posts: 2
    Yes andthey says it was a leaking sunroof and the sparetire wheel well was full of water. it appears to be a design flaw. would this not be v=covered by GM because it is a design flaw?
    Good morning ventluck,
    If you would like for us to look into warranty questions for you, please email us the last 8 digits of your VIN, mileage, and summary of the situation to us at socialmedia@gm.com .
  • bocuibocui Member Posts: 4
    I have my car serviced at Mac Mulkin (Nashua, NH) dealership for the CUE system upgrade and the shifter recall fix. (They took me exact 1 week to finish this.)They gave me a free rental vehicle, when I got this rental car, the fuel tank is almost empty, one of the service manager told me I don't need to refill the gas before return. But after several days, they charged my about $15 dollars on the gas.
    I don't mind to pay for the gas, but they way they charge me make my so angry, 1. the service manager said I don't need to do this. 2. I return the car on Thursday afternoon around 3:00pm, why they don't charge me when I was there. 3. when I got the rental car, the fuel tank is almost empty, how can they charge me more than they had?
    I would not recommend this dealership to anyone according to their bad service and attitude to customer.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Try posting in Dealer Ratings and Reviews - more people in NH will see it that way.
    bocui,
    We're sorry that you did not have a 100% satisfactory experience with one of our dealerships. If you would like for us to check into anything further for you, please don't hesitate to email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (including your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
    Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • jcarrmejcarrme Member Posts: 1
    I have owned my SRX now fr a little over 5 years. When I bought the car I paid for an extended warranty. In the 5 years that I have owned the car I have had to replace 3 universal joints, 2 sets of tire rods, 2 wheel bearing, and the steering wheel has had to be replaced 2 times, and as of yesterday the timing belt had to be fixed. In November of 2012 I bought another extended warranty because of all the problems I have had with this lemon. The timing belt was the straw that broke the camel's back. I am dumping this car for something else. I am currently looking at BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Audi and Volvo. I will never buy another Cadillac, ever.
  • melwoodmelwood Member Posts: 1
    After reading a couple of pages of negatives regarding the Cadillac SRX, I have to say I must have gotten lucky. I just purchased a used SRX with 38,000 miles on it. The Carfax report said there were no issues or repairs made to the car other than regular maintenance. I am keeping my fingers crossed as I love this crossover and test drove many others before choosing the SRX. Honda was the worst with Toyota a close second. Does anyone else have anything positive to say about the Cadillac? Just wondering.
  • gm_bigotgm_bigot Member Posts: 20
    We had a heavy rainstorm on Monday and when my wife got into her 2010 SRX, the front passenger side floor was soaked. Water had poured in from under the dash and onto the floor. Took the vehicle to the dealership and it was determined that there was a problem with the sunroof drains. Apparently it is a known issue and there is a service bulletin regarding it. So if you ever have a wet floor, that would be the first thing to check out. I sincerely hope this is not a recurring issue as it was no fun soaking up water and using a blow dryer on the carpet. In any case, my wife and I love this vehicle and we have been extremely pleased with it.
    Hi gm_bigot

I hope everything goes well with your repair at the dealership. If you ever have any questions in the future about your vehicle we are here on the forum to be of assistance.

Regards

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • gm_bigotgm_bigot Member Posts: 20
    My wife's 2010 SRX is back in the shop again. She complained the other day that the a/c was blowing colder on the passenger side than the driver side even though both were set at the same temperature. A search on the web revealed a TSB on the issue. Apparently the desiccant bag (a bag of materials/chemicals that removes moisture from the air) ruptures and sends the desiccant throughout the system. This has the effect of destroying the condenser, compressor and just about every other component of the a/c system. The car is at the dealer now getting an entirely new a/c. This is a known issue and you would think that GM would recall the vehicles and replace the desiccant bag before it destroys the a/c. Instead, GM will eat the entire cost of a new a/c. Makes no sense. But I guess the strategy is to hope the bag ruptures after the vehicle is out of warranty. Then the uninformed customer can pay the several thousand dollar bill. The other issue is that the rear lift gate touch pad stopped working. That also has to be replaced and there is a TSB on this issue as well. Still love the SRX, but this kind of shoddy quality on some very basic components is maddening.