Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL Bluetooth/HandsFree Link Problems

Comments

• 06acuratl06acuratl Member Posts: 13
    I am having an issue with my car handsfree link bluetooth system for my 06 Acura TL. It stopped working last week with my phone. I have tried to pair it, along with other phones since, and no phones will recognize the car bluetooth (HandsFree). Also tried disconnecting the car battery and did not do the trick. Was curious if anyone else ran into similar problem?
  • jpapirmeisterjpapirmeister Member Posts: 1
    Hello:
    I am a new member of the "Bluetooth handsfree link suddenly stops working" club. I have a 2005 TL. Dealer wants $950 to replace bluetooth unit. Can you email to me this Bulletin 05-020 and what ever else I could use to get dealer to repair/replace my unit for free, or for a much reduced price. It was the reason I bought this car, b/c I am always driving and stuck in traffic and need to make calls hands-free. Thank you very much. Jim
  • kari524kari524 Member Posts: 7
    Try this link http://www.alldatadiy.com/TSB/01/04010949.html
    I was shocked on how many recalls on the 04 there are for various reasons
  • efgraphxefgraphx Member Posts: 4
    The link to the Bulletin is:
    http://www.acuraworld.com/tsb/3gTL/b05-020.pdf
    This should help as it did for me. Just remeber to mention the bulletin and print it out for them. Also,
    "Out of warranty: Any repair performed after warranty
    expiration may be eligible for goodwill consideration by
    the District Parts and Service Manager or your Zone
    Office. You must request consideration, and get a
    decision, before starting work." As mentioned in this bulletin. This saved me $$$. Remember I as I mentione in my prevous post, I ended up paying $474 + Tax = $504. But it was worth it as it is now has a one year warranty.
    Good Luck and stick to it!! I even called Johnson Controls who manifactured this HLF which also helped. I would give you their number but I no longer have it.
  • shawnalex1381shawnalex1381 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2006 Acura TL yesterday from Cerritos Acura and when I got home I tried to set up my iPhone 4. The buttons on the steering wheel won't work at all. I also found that my heated seats don't warm up either, lights are on but nobodys home sort of speak. How many miles are on your Acura, and what other issues should I be looking forward to?

Thank you,
    Shawn :mad:
    I am at 78k and change. Bought the car brand new Dec 06. Overall it is a great car, but have had the following issues:

(1) Cruise Control (on/off) button would not stay pushed in. That was just over 60k and Acura paid 90% of the cost to fix it since I was just over the warranty.
    (2) At 50-60k I had to replace the starter. I have been told by Acura and every mechanic I have mentioned to this about, and they all say that should not happen, but I was the lucky one :-)
    (3) TPMS (tire pressure) system issues. Looks like my sensors may be dead. I have a feeling it was from the last time I had tires put on that they were not careful and broke them. However I will find out this Sat what Acura what is going on and how much.
    (4) Then there is the blue tooth issue which started not working last week. All of the buttons work, and the system acts like it is working and looking to pair with a blue tooth phone, but no phones will pick up the hands free all of a sudden.
    I spoke with HandsFree (http://handsfreelink.com/) yesterday. They are well aware and told me other people have had the same issue with the Hands Free burning out. I also went to the local Acura dealership this morning where I was going to have them take a look. After I explained to the service manager all of the steps I had taken, he had the integrity to tell me the only thing it could be is the unit is bad and would have to be replaced. He could have charged me the $100 for the analysis and told me the same thing. A new unit for a car with navi is $700.00, which I am not going to replace something that may just go out on me again in another 4 years. It is more principle to me than the money. This should not just be burning out after 4 years. It is not due to not taking care of the car. I'll just get a nice bluetooth set for the car and be done with it. However I will call HandsFree back on Monday and maybe write a letter to Acura for all that will be worth. I am wondering if this should be a recall item. That technology should not be breaking after 4 years.
  • timsyptimsyp Member Posts: 1
    Same problem here with my 05 TL. 5 1/2 years worked fine then suddenly no pairing. I disconnected the unit to reset it and it worked for a few seconds then failed again.

Has anyone had success in ordering the part themselves as it seems like a very easy install? Or even better... can it be upgraded to also include phone book import and bluetooth audio??
    Spoke with HandsFree again today. They might as well told me these things happen and oh well that's life :-) I was told it was newer technology when I bought the car and these type of things can happen. My cheap motorola bluetooth is older than my 06 Acura and is still working. I will try to get someone higher up the food chain at HandsFree and Acura for that matter and see if I can get some better response.
  • tlcamonetlcamone Member Posts: 1
    My 2006 Tl w/o navigation had loud static about a year ago and the module was replaced under the warranty. Over the past year there have been minor problems with linking my phone but all were resolved with simply re-initiating the process. Good clarity otherwise.

Today the system would not respond at all. After numerous attempts, I tried to check for a blown fuse. None for the HFL were listed in the manual.
    A bit later in the day I attempted to link with the bluetooth and it responded fine.

I am 5 days over the replacement part warranty. I will however contact the dealer next week to check for a possible short in the system.
    I too am disappointed in this expensive electronic problem since this should be rock solid for the life of the vehicle.

If others have experienced this problem and have resolved it , I would appreciate hearing.
    If you are within a month or so, or within a couple thousand miles, over the warranty, they will probably take care of it at no cost. They are usually pretty good about that.
  • rhcbrhcb Member Posts: 2
    My 2007 TL Hands Free Link is not working. The dealership told me that it would cost $875 to replace the system. Does anyone know if the system can be repaired or if there is somewhere to get a discounted HFL with a guarantee?

RHCB
  • rhcbrhcb Member Posts: 2
    I have this problem with the HFL system in my 2007 TL. I took it to the dealer and was told the system needs to be replaced - $875. I am also seeking resolution to this problem without spending this amount of money.

RHCB
    Same thing happened to me with my 2006 TL. It stopped transmitting the HandsFree signal. I was quoted $700 from Acura to have it replaced. Although I would ideally like the built in bluetooth to be working, as I used it regularly, I don't think this is something that should have died on me after only owning the car 4 years and I don't want to give Acura money for something that I think should not break after only 4 years. Acura's response was pretty much that oh well this type of thing happens. I plan on getting an after market system, as apparently Acura's is a low quality system and why should I pay them so it can break on me again in another 4 years. I am in the process of writing a letter to Honda of America for all it is worth, but at this point I don't plan on purchasing another Honda Acura product in the future.
  • alandsverkalandsverk Member Posts: 1
    my 2010 txs has 14000 miles on it and the hands free link froze up while I was using it. it would not let me end the call, complete the call or listen to the radio. I pulled over and turned the car off and opened the drivers door (which usually disconnects the call) and when I restarted the car I could use the radio but the phone part still was not working. After I got home I let the car set for a while after I turned it off . When I came back later everything was in working order. My question: was this just a glitch or a pre-curser of issues to come. of the other people that have had their hands free link go out, did it start with this type of glitch?
  • kari524kari524 Member Posts: 7
    My advice is--you are still under warranty--go back to the dealer to have them look into it so you have a record of the issue should something worse happen
  • janetlpjanetlp Member Posts: 8
    I have the same car and my HFL went out about 2 weeks ago. I have learned quite a bit in the past few days. THIS IS DEFINITELY A BIG PROBLEM. The repair place I talked to told me that the supplier has at least 3 in stock. If suppliers are carrying expensive items like the HFL then they expect to be selling about 1 per week. He has replaced many of them and feels Honda should be replacing them at no cost given how many he has had to replace. He also said counseled against buying a used one -- for obvious reasons.

BE CAREFUL ABOUT AN ANCILLARY PROBLEM--Yesterday my car wouldn't start. I was told by the Acura dealer and the 3rd party repair facility that the broken units drain your battery. YOU HAVE NOT CHOICE BUT TO SHELL OUT THE $700-$800 -- same cost whether you have the navi or not. I asked if they could just disconnect it and the dealer said NO, they were not allowed to.

In my opinion, this is a recall item but will they recall something that is not a "safety" issue? If not, from what I've heard and what I've just read, this seems to be a class action issue.
    Sorry to hear about your HFL, and thank you for sharing this. My 2006 TL's HFL stopped working after only owning the car after 4 years. Definitely not something that should be breaking. I was told by Hands Free that there was nothing they could do and the technology was new when I bought the car. My next step is to write a letter to the top people at Honda, not that I am expecting much response, but I agree this is something that should be a recall item.
  • mardewmardew Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 TL hands free just went dead this past Friday. I've had the car for 5 years now, three phones later and never had a problem until now. I called the dealer and they want to charge me $150 just to diagnose it, then "if" they need to repair the $150 will be deducted from the repair. But after seeing all these complaints on line, and there are a lot, I decided against fixing it. I can't afford the $600 to $800 they want to replace it. I called the Handsfree people and he talked to me like I was an idiot and didn't know how to set it up. If he was in front of me, I would have punched him. Any way he said that my system is no longer transmitting the signal. He gave me a case number and I will call Acura tomorrow. If they give me the same B.S. I will not fix it. I'd rather spend $40 on a blue tooth head set. I don't have $800 to throw away on something that should not have broken down. Maybe we should start a class action suit against the handsfree and Acura. I wish I knew how to start it because I would, but I don't know how to. :mad:
    I really think this should be a recall item. Too many people are having this issue, include me. I had the same issue where it just stopped transmitting the signal. This is not a wear and tear type item that you are supposed to maintain. It should just work like your stereo.

I am going to write the top dogs at Honda America for all it is worth.
  • 93lt193lt1 Member Posts: 2
    You can add me to this long list of defective HSL. 4 1/2 years and now it's not operational. Seems as if it's not transmitting. My Phone searches but it can not locate it. Arrhhh.
    Same timeframe and exact same issue for me too, just under 4.5 years and it is not putting out the bluetooth signal.
  • mizzmariemizzmarie Member Posts: 2
    My HFL died this week. $$$$$$$ What a shame!!!!
    What year is your TL?
    I asked the dealer to fix it for free after they told me that they knew it was a common problem and they denied my request. I was told it was out of warranty. I wonder if it's because it wasn't that it didn't boot up but that it didn't pair. I also spoke with an independent Acura mechanic who told me that he sees this problem regularly and that Acura will not make good on these items. He said there should be a recall because of the number of problems.
    I've put out a request for help to an attorney/friend about finding a consumer class action attorney. Once I get that info I'll post it on this forum. If anyone wants to do some research to find more people who have the same problem that would be a great help. Today I counted 16 of us just on this discussion. I don't know about you guys but I am pretty disgusted by this whole thing.
  • k19k19 Member Posts: 9
    Let me know about any class action suit.
  • k19k19 Member Posts: 9
    I have received at lease 10 complaints from people complaining about there HFL.
  • turieturie Member Posts: 9
    About 2 weeks ago mine died out too.... I have had my TL since Jan.1st 2005 and was wondering if this could be a bigger issue and it def. seems to be something much bigger than I thought!

Please keep me posted for any kind of action suit...

Thx
    This is good stuff, not that I am happy you are all having problems with the HFL, but that this is really an issue. I'm not sure where a class action law suit will get us, unless the end result is this becoming a recall item. I look forward to hearing more on this. My nexg move will be to send a letter to the Honda America to the attention of the CEO.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Sorry folks, we don't permit organizing lawsuits within the forums.

Besides, if you go the class action route, be prepared to wait 2-3 years, then receive either a free fix for the problem, or a $500 off coupon toward your next Acura vehicle purchase. That's how these suits usually end for the consumer.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• montesdamontesda Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I just came back from the Thomas Acura Dealer because my Hands Free Bluetooth is stuck in "booting" and they quoted me 699.99 for unit. This did not include installation. I have a 2006 Acura TL. 4.5 years and it failed. They told me it is a common problem and have these Bluetooth Control Units in stock. I am not going to pay over 700.00 for this!! I am on-board for a class action law suit!
    I feel your pain, and I would rather spend the money on an after market than give Acura a dime to fix something that in my opinion should not die after 4 years, and if I pay to fix it who is to say I wouldn't have to go through this again in another 4-5 years! I have a $40.00 Motorola Bluetooth headset that is about a year older than my 2006 Acura that still works great today. As the previous poster mentioned, we can't organize a class action law suit, plus I agree that we would not be the real winners in that scenario. I know I sound like a broken record, but I truley believe this is a true flaw in there technology and this should be a recall item. I still need to get that letter out to the CEO of Honda for all it is worth.
  • sushi0318sushi0318 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 07 TL and it froze up about a week ago stuck on booting also .. niello Acura quoted $800+ for the fix ..i think these defective hands-free units should be recalled, here in California its the law for hands-free cant be on the phone while driving, or its a ticket , so we rely on these units, its a shame .
  • 5050iam5050iam Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I have an 04 and my Hands Free Link when out a few months ago. I have googled this problem a few different times and found that this is more than just a one off issue for ACURA!
    I guess that I am lucky that mine lasted 6 Years; but I am disappointed that a vehicle in this price range would have such a significant issue with something so simple and have no resolution or recourse for their consumers.
    Ironically, I just started looking at the 2012, but I am EXTREMELY hesitant to purchase another Acura because of the lack of accountability. I think I can funnel my next $45,000.00 to a manufacturer that is willing to be accountable for their vehicle in its entierty; especially when they know they pushed a defective product to market.
    I would gladly sign a petition and follow up with legal recourse.
    To Everyone who has been following this discussion:

I encourage you all to call Acura Client relations at (800) 382-2238. I did and it paid off.

Be prepared to answer a bunch of seemingly irrelevant questions (they want to know if you are a "loyal" Acura client and will need your VIN. (I've owned at least 2 Hondas and 3 Acuras over my driving life.)

They are also going to ask if you have taken your car to a dealer and had any diagnostics done on the car. Have all your information ready.

I threw around the class action lawsuit at first, which was blown off by the rep I spoke with because the maker of the HFL (Johnsson (sp?) Controls) is the only manufacturer for all the handsfree products for almost all the cars out there.

After several discussions and a trip to the dealer, however, Acura paid for 80% of the cost of a new HFL (I just got the car back last Friday). FYI, I had to replace my second battery in 4 1/2 years (don't know if that's another issue with the car). The service rep at the dealer also told me (and I'm not sure why this is the case or if it's an accurate statement) that it's better if you pay a portion of the replacement because you get the full warranty.

It's certainly worth the time to make the call plus if they get enough of these calls maybe they'll do something preemptive to get these things fixed.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    Thx janetlp I made the call and now need to take in my car to have a diagnostics done, The rep basically said- they would not tell me to get the diagnostics if Acura for sure was not going to help on the cost of repair.. SO with that said I will let you know how my situation turns out next week!
    Thanks for the tip. I called the number and spoke them. I took it into the dealership and they diagnosed my car at no cost, and Acura will cover the bulk of the cost. Out the door will be $230.00. What is funny is they want to know how many other Acura's or Honda's you have owned and how much you have used the dealerships for maintenance and repairs, and that weighs in their decision as to how much they will help you. As long as Acura is willing to pay the bulk of the cost, I'm fine paying 20-30% of the cost.
    Mine did not go as well as the previous 2 people have, I was told Acura would pay for 25% pf the cost~ which still left me with over 550$ in cost~ I told them NO THANKS! It's really unfair business if they are basing what percent to pay as in how many times you have taken your car to the dealer, or how many Honda/Acura's you have. If this is how they are going to do business, I will be quite surprised if many will continue to buy from them.

In the real world you gain people's trust and appreciation and keep it. In the manner you do business with them from Day1..
    That's about what I paid. Apparently they are willing to help you if you are a "loyal" customer. That's why I wrote about the "intake" questions.

I was pretty annoyed when I was asked all those questions so I asked why the customer care rep why they were asking them. That's when I learned about loyalty factor.

For all you out there without the HFL, please call Acura. They need to hear form us. They really need to be innundated.

Good luck to you all.
    What year is your Acura?
    2005, and there is no reason we should be judged on what we have not done yet~ that's just wrong in every true business sense... But as of now I can tell you what I will not be doing.. and that's buying another 35K+ car from them.
  • raiderjuanraiderjuan Member Posts: 3
    My HFL died on me 2 days ago, and after reading the countless stories of other peoples identical issues, I too am disgusted with the situation. I have a 2006 TL that looks like new, and never expected the car to have a dead HFL. Acura needs to step up. After 2 Honda's and now an Acura... I guess they made their money on me.
  • bojo5bojo5 Member Posts: 1
    Looks like I am joining the club.... The HFL on my 2006 died on me this week as well. And this morning my battery was dead so I think I am experiencing the discharge issue from the bad module.

I going to try to unplug the module this weekend to see if that helps. No way I am putting out the $$$ to Acura for a new module!
  • rentnerrentner Member Posts: 1
    For everyone having hfl problems, my 04 also stoped working. Would hang up in the pair mode. I did some research and found the the telephone assy, hands free link for part # 39770-SEP-A01B for tan interior $174 at oemacuraparts.com. I called to confirm that it included the hands free module. Its listed under the interior light. I think part of the problem with this module is where its mounted, up by the interior lights but mostly exposed to the windshield under where its blacked out. I think in the summer time it might get too hot. Hope this post helps some of you out
  • ansmittyansmitty Member Posts: 1
    hi. I bought my 06 TL new in Sept 06 and now my cruise control button just stopped sticking after about 76500 mi. I am afraid of what Acrua will charge to fix it. How much would it have cost you if you had to pay the full amount? what did they have to replace / say was wrong? Thanks!
  • miche269miche269 Member Posts: 1
    I see a lot of post on this, but I came to surf the web to see what I could find on this issue as well. I have an 06 TL with NAVI and the bluetooth just stopped working all of a sudden. If all of our cars "suddenly" stopped working this is totally strange and we all couldn't have broken our cars at the same time. Acura better come up with something!
  • pstairespstaires Member Posts: 2
    After replacing the windshield, my handsfree link would not pair. Previously worked for years. Got a new cell phone, it wouldn't pair, and then took it to the local dealership where I have had it service for many years and the expediter's phone wouldn't pair. The repair estimate was almost 1000.00 dollars.
    I see here that many TL owners have the same problem.
    I called the Acura number and even though I have had only Acura Dealerships service the car for 5 years, they would not give me any of the concessions mentioned here.
    They said it was an RL, not a TL, and they said my mileage was too high.
    Any ideas? Where can you buy the part? I am ready to take it elsewhere for the service.

Paul
  • udiaz75udiaz75 Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2011
    All of the sudden, I noticed that my paired phone (Samung Epic 4G) Could not longet pair with my 2005 Acura TL. It then dawned on me that the phone could no longer even find the Handsfree device. So from reading these posts something tells me it is dead.

Also, something tells me that Acura is nuts if I they want me to pay $800.00 when I just paied them $700 for a dashboard because the passenger front dash cracked. Not to mention that I've seen this on already 4 differnet Acuras. I love my car, but I am no sure that Acura builds cars to last. :mad:
  • glenn_nglenn_n Member Posts: 3
    My Acura TSX 2007 handsfree didn't fail - it's just that the audio quality totally sucks. I persuaded dealer to replace microphone unit, but they would not replace the bluetooth module.

So now I am using a $20 headset made by GE. It looks like a telephone operator's headset, or perhaps a cheap computer gaming headset. It uses a WIRE to connect to my phone. The microphone is on a boom that sits in front of my mouth, and there is one earpiece - not one of those horrible earbuds, but rather a 1.5 inch disc covered in comfortable foam. My friends no longer complain about the voice quality, in fact they cannot even tell that I'm in a car.

Sometimes I will use a Motorola bluetooth speakerphone that I bought for $30. It's audio quality is far superior to the builtin Acura system, but not nearly as good as the wired headset.

With an Android phone I can easily voice dial, so I'm not missing much in terms of usability. Let's all tell Acura that we hate their handsfree system and will not buy another Acura unless we find it is dramatically improved. In the meantime, do your friends a favor and buy an old-fashioned wired headset.