Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Cherokee and Grand Cherokee Brake Problems

13»

Comments

• wpatterswpatters Member Posts: 54
    I found on my 1993 GC that the brake pads where they meet the wheel assembly there is a notch worn in the metal and the pads get caught in that notch and do not release away from the rotors...I have slotted rotors. It makes a terrible noise especially after hard breaking. If I lightly step on the brakes it goes away which tells me it is the brakes...I changed the brake pads out on a Ford Expedition and they have metal clips that go over the pad ends and the metal part on the wheel assembly so they do not wear. The exact problem the Jeep has. I bought some at the auto parts place and will try using them on the Jeep...if that does not work then I will have to file out the notch and have sloppy brake pads. Anyone else have this problem?? Sounds like some have and may not be aware of what is causing it.
    I know the basic procedure of bleeding brakes...bleed the furthest from the master first and bleed until no air bubbles...pumping the brakes between draws.
    My concern is if there is anything that has to be done because of the ABS system.

Thanks in advance for the help
  • sherrylcsherrylc Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me. We have a 2005 Jeep Cherokee 3.7 Sport Automatic. We sell second hand vehicles. The brakes did not work at some stage after we bought this vehicle. We bled the brakes and then it was fine. That is as long as the vehicle was started or moved every day. If the vehicle stands for longer than 3 days they do not work you can push the pedal right to the floor. If you pump the brakes hard quite a few times they work. Also if you pump the brakes before the vehicle is started they work.
    We have checked for leaks and have bled the brakes and all the valves are in the right places. Can you help perhaps saving us having to spend lots of money at the franchise.
  • tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    sounds as if your abs pressure is bleeding back check if there is a factory service bulletin on them
  • elindseyelindsey Member Posts: 1
    We have a 98 Grand Cherokee Laredo and the brake lights will stay on sometimes. You have to put your toe under the pedal and pull up.
    Does anyone know if there is an adjustment on it?
    Thanks
    yes the switch under the brake pedal is threaded and can be made to go closer or further away...be careful since the whole thing is made of plastic...it also affects the cruise control if the switch is made all the time (brakes lights on). Easy to take care of if you don't mind twisting into a pretzel to get to it.
  • lerxstrulzlerxstrulz Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2010
    Hi All,

I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee 6cyl and experience a weird intermittent brake issue. I can be driving on the highway and all of a sudden around 60mph my car will start to vibrate a little and the brake pedal is rock solid (ie I just have to barely touch it for brakes to engage fully.) The brakes seem to be engaging on their own. If I pull over turn off the car and pump the pedal a few times and restart it goes away. It's very intermittent.

Not sure what it is and I took it to a mechanic and he could find an issue and didn't make any recommendations. It's like pressure builds up and engages the brakes. Bad master cylinder? I think I'll try bleeding the lines...maybe there is air trapped and circulating?

Anyone ever heard of this issue or better yet know how to solve it :)

Thanks!
    It probable is the master cylinder since there is a booster that works with it and it could be faulty. I know I have a shop flush all my fluid every couple of years and it makes a world of difference. I have tried doing it my self and it is never as good as what they are able to do with the proper equipment. $100 and piece of mind.

Good luck.
  • seayj7seayj7 Member Posts: 1
    I too am having this exact problem. Problem started about 2 weeks ago. I had the warped rotor problems that it seems every 99-04 GC has but I got new rotors and pads on the cheap and replaced them. After replacing those parts, everything seemed to go back to normal. I was driving home from work and it seemed as the thing was slightly braking while driving down the road, like the brakes were ever so barely engaged. I parked the jeep in my driveway (have a slight hill) and put the GC in neutral, it wanted to stay still and not roll backwards as a normal car would want to do when sitting in neutral on an incline.

Have you been able to repair this intermittent problem. It drives me crazy trying to figure out what's going on.

Thanks
    I can't really find anything on it. I bled my brake system and replaced the fluid, but I think the cap to my master cylinder is warped so it's probably letting some air in. There were a lot of bubbles in the fluid as I flushed it. Since doing that it has only happened once and very slightly. There is also a part called a....oops I don't remember the name. It's called a "motivator" or something like that...it's that big round thing that's behind the master cyclinder and I read that seals on it can get warped, so I'll be replacing both of those next. The cyclinder you can get for under 20.00 and the other part is around 60 or 70 bucks. First thing I would do is bleed the brake lines to see if there is any air and get rid of it.
  • nickdcj7nickdcj7 Member Posts: 1
    thanks! I think this may have solved my problem. I have a 94 cherokee with 212k and i failed inspection for right front brakes, and after replacing every part i could I still had the problem. Just came back in from checking this, and sure enough it had a huge groove worn into the slider points. i just ground them down to make it more like a smooth ramp and it seems to be working now.
    Great...I have yet to get mine ground down but was first going to try something that Ford does on there new SUV's There brakes come with a set of clips that fit on those places that you just ground down. There is a clip for the "ears" on the brake pads and the sliding area on the frame that they rest against. I am hoping to see if that keeps that area from wearing...apparently this is a common problem now that people keep their cars longer.
  • cherokeelimitcherokeelimit Member Posts: 1
    Hello.
    I need advice thanks.
    I have a 90 model 6cil limited,
    I just put new brakes pads & new disc,
    Also got the front calipers fixed,and wheel main bearing.
    Now the abs pump dont stop working (its 3year old),on the dash the abs light is on and the hand brake light also.
    What could it be?
    Have to hook it up to the JEEPs computer and reset the electronic?
    Or?
    Its driving me nuts haha
  • malo69malo69 Member Posts: 2
    just wonder if you were able to fix your problem, because i have a similar problem on my 2001 jeep cherokee, when i press on the brakes it feel and sound like there's an air leak under the brake pedal, not su :confuse: re
  • tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    power brake booster going bad
  • tcantertcanter Member Posts: 2
    Hello - I just bought a 2000 Jeep Cheokee and noticed that my brakes squeeeeked and steering wheel vibrated when I would brake. So I bought brake pads and resurfaced the rotors. However when I was putting everything back together I noticed that the screws that hold the calipers where pressing on the brake pads! In other words the screw went all the way through! Does anyone know if that correct? I took it for a test drive and heard a clump...clump noise everytime I would brake. Any guidance is apprciated.
    Thanks!
  • tcantertcanter Member Posts: 2
  • tybreake2tybreake2 Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 Grand Cherokee is having brake issues - it either has good brakes, '' soft'' brakes or I have to put the pedal to the floor. I have had the brake fluid flushed recently, also the dealership has bled the lines. I never know what I am going to get when I mash the pedal, it has 114k miles but I didn't have any problem til I took it in for routine maintenance and they said it would be a good idea to flush the brakes. 3 mechanics(including the Jeep service dealer) have looked at it, one saying that some trash may have gotten in the ABS module when that service was done. I am a novice.... this mechanic said I may have to replace the ABS module --about $800 for turnkey ..........any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.... if not I will take it BACK to the dealership and probably get hammered Thanks!!!!!
  • leroy15leroy15 Member Posts: 1
    hey been reading up on my brakes. those bolts actually stretch!! the manual gives specific dimensions on those bolts for that reason. you are supposed to replace them if they are 1 mm longer than spec. go get a manual...
  • nfixionnfixion Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Grand Cherokee, I love it! But..I bought it used and after only 2months, I was backing out of my driveway and noticed the "Hissing" noise" coming from under the brake pedal as you describe. I went online and found other of same model with same. There is a recall I read for this in the 1998 model..of which my 1999 should be included as manuf. date is 1998. NHTSA Campaign ID 98V0Z3000 on 1998 -2-10 is the last info I found. I went to a dealer in SHvn Miss and was told there was no recall for this....they lied...the cost to fix is high, the part new $150appx and there are some used but beware...it doesnt seem to be the booster as problem, my brakes work...the seal around the diaghpram is torn or split and it causes loss of power and surges in ideling...I dont want to pay as it should be dealer fix..anyone with luck in getting a dealer to fix theirs, I want to know! Chrysler should fix this! I am going to try again as I now live in CA. I can see the tear in the rubber diaphragm! it alsow robs gas milage. dkf
  • scottyb77scottyb77 Member Posts: 2
    Hello rsjeep,
    I know this post is a few years old, but I am having the same problem with my 04 grand cherokee. It is coming from the drivers side rear wheel; like a squeeking and popping sound when I brake. Yesterday it became constant without the braking and then my caliper locked up. Replaced the caliper today and after a few miles, back again. I am just wandering if you ever figured out what was going on with yours. I was thinking maybe it was a berring or something.
    Thanks,
    Scott
    Mine was a bad master cylinder and reservoir. I tried bleeding the brakes and on my front driver side no fluid would come out, just air. So I knew there were no blockages in the line. I replaced the master cylinder and reservoir (the reservoir was in tact but old) and the problem stopped.
  • ddietrichddietrich Member Posts: 6
    I replaced everything rotors,pads and calipers. All fine after that.

Rotors on this model have many problems with warping.

Maybe they are warped and putting odd amount of pressure on calipers ?
  • scottyb77scottyb77 Member Posts: 2
    I am thinking that is it. Its a timed sound so it has to be rubbing in the same spot each revolution. I ordered front/back drilled n slotted rotors with ceramic pads so I could cut out the heat problem a little too. Thanks for the help on this one.
  • mike1214mike1214 Member Posts: 4
    Pulsating front brakes on my 2000 Grand Cherokee. I finally resolved this long standing problem. There was a campaign to replace the rotors, calipers and pads, and had this done back in 2001, but continued to have pulsation. This model has had continuous brake problems. The campaign resulted in new calipers which are silver in color which take the Akebono brake pads. I installed new standard Bendix brand rotors and Akebono ceramic pads. Well 10,000 miles later and still running good. I have installed Akebono ceramic pads on another vehicle, and what an improvement! Can't say enough good about these pads. They cost a little more, but well worth it.
  • ddietrichddietrich Member Posts: 6
    Hey,
    What do you mean about a campaign? Did Jeep pay for rotors ?
    Yes Jeep paid for the rotors too. The new calipers (silver) were redesigned for Jeep by Akebono. When they did the work, the new calipers did not have Akebono pads in them which is why I probably still had pulsation problems down the road. If you look at Rock Auto.com they show two different calipers, silver and black, which is Akebono and Teves (ATE). The Teves calipers would twist when engaged which is why the campaign was initiated to replace them. The Akebono calipers replaced the Teves calipers. I am really happy with the brakes now. They work and feel great!
  • ecsescillaecsescilla Member Posts: 1
    I have had this exact problem with my 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo over the years. I can't tell you how many times I've had my brake pads & rotors changed...MUCH more often than normal.

This "campaign"...was it something you started, or is there a way for others with the same problem to go about getting Jeep to fix this issue? Can you give me some direction or who to contact? I looked everywhere and haven't found any official recall or anything.

Thank you!
    Elizabeth
    Hi Elizabeth, The campaign I mentioned is similar to a recall. Recalls usually notify the consumers with a post card. The campaign is more like, oh while you are here, let's do this for you. I had the "campaign" work done by the Jeep dealer 10 years ago. The service writer seemed like he was always an advocate for me whenever I had service and was questionable. You might call the dealer to see if it still available.

The combo that I have done with Akebono pads in Akebono calipers and Bendix rotors have worked for me. Akebono makes pads for both styles of calipers. As I mentioned before these are not cheap, maybe $30 $50 more than other pads,but I think the extra is well spent. If you are using an decent independent shop, they will have heard of these pads. Log on to Rock Auto and you can see the different pricing.

Good luck with your repairs. We really enjoy our Jeep and do the best we can to keep it running.
  • brutus1255brutus1255 Member Posts: 1
    Can you give me some information on this campaign. I have a 2002 Grand cherokee and have been going thru pads and roters even 40000 miles. That seem excessive so any help would be appriciated.
    I do not have any info on the 2002 models. My best suggestion would be to call a Jeep dealer and talk to the Service Writer. I do not know if there is a time limitation on campaigns or not, or if there was a campaign for brakes in 2002.

As I have posted before here. the combo that I have used which is Akebono brake pads in Akebono calipers and Bendix rotors. These are working well for me!
  • sallylssallyls Member Posts: 2
    Twice in the past couple of weeks I have had a serious failure of the brakes on my 1998 GC. Both times I was slowing down rapidly. the first time I was deccelerating hard onto an expressway exit ramp and I thought I had skidded off the ramp. I hit the brakes hard and after a couple of seconds I was skidding all over the wet ramp. I found it extremely odd as I have never slid in my GC even on ice, let alone light rain. This is my thrid GC 95-98 and I have never had this problem. Then it happened again as I stopped hard for a chaning traffic light from 45mph on dry pavement. I hit the brakes and initially the jeep slowed, then suddenly the brakes stopped braking and the car continued on. I had to turn abruptly to avoid going into the intersection. I did not feel the ABS kicking in so that isn't it; it was as if I had taken my foot off the brake, but I hadn't. I did not feel the peddle travel any differently or release under my foot either time. Dealer has had it a week and cannot find any problem, nor can the test driver reproduce it. Both times I had been driving constantly for over 3 hours when this happened, if that might matter in determining the problem.
  • laurieausleylaurieausley Member Posts: 1
    My son's 1999 jeep cherokee has had brake failure 3 times. The latest incident was on thanksgiving night while driving to a sale at target. thank god I was going slowly because after i let my son out to wait in line, the brake pedal went all the way to the floor. There was a small child about to walk across the crosswalk when my daughter pulled the emergency brake and stopped us from hitting him. One year ago, the exact same thing happened while my 17 yr-old son was driving (thank god in a parking lot), and a few years ago we had the entire brake system replaced due to the brakes failing. Is this a defect with this jeep model? My husband has a 2006 model and he said the brake line is not rubbing against the inside of the ldft front tire like it is in the 99 cherokee. Is jeep willing to make any repairs due to the brakes failing? I can't imaging that this is an isolated incident with our jeep.
    Brakes are pretty simple devices...cylinders and a master cylinder that pushes on mechanical devices to grab or push against the wheels to stop. You have either blown a seal in one of the cylinders or more likely have a really bad master cylinder. Modern brakes have sort of a back up when one of the wheel cylinders goes out there are still two wheels that work since they have two chambers in the master cylinder. Two loose the whole thing you must be having a bad master cylinder. Scary stuff.
  • nflyers1nflyers1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello All,

I just had my front brakes replaced on my 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport and am feeling a slight vibration on the peddle? I purchased Wagner brakes. Can someone provide any insight on what the issue could be? My jeep has currently 144,500 miles.

Thanks-
  • malo69malo69 Member Posts: 2
    did you machined your rotor? that could be the problem
  • mab17mab17 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, why do my brakes, front and rear tend to lock my wheels into a slide when it is cold outside?
  • shanegianesshanegianes Member Posts: 1
    I had some issues with my brakes and replaced my mastercylinder which worked for a month now. Then today my brakes seemed fine then at a stop sign I just lost brakes. Almost hit another car. I pulled over, no leakage I could find, MC had fluid, so I decided to try and make it home. While driving brakes were fine. Soon as I was not moving I felt them start to slip and then Jeep started rolling forward. I bled the brakes of course when I replaced the MC and no issues until now. It is over 100 degrees today and my engine seems to be really hot, but gauge says 240 so it's not too hot. NOt sure if heat would do this. Maybe MC was faulty? If anyone has had a similiar issue please let me know. I live in the country and cannot do ANYTHING without my vehicle.

Thanks.
  • roberthirschroberthirsch Member Posts: 1
    My wifes Jeep had the same issue.

1. slides on the calipers were corroded along with the brake pads, especially on the rear brakes. cleaned up the slides and replace the rear pads

2. flushed the hydraulic lines and put new fluid into the baking system. Brake fluid was very dirty. American car makers do not normally recommend replacing the fluid, but our Mercedes does. I took Mercedes lead and solved the problem
  • jksnieldjksnield Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1993 Grand Cherokee with 136,00 miles. I have replaced master cycle, rotors, calipers, discs, ABS hydraulic pump and brakes still hang up after driving for some time. What do I do next?
  • maranda2maranda2 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 96 cherokee and ive replaced master cylinder, brakes, rotors, calipers and my front brakes are sticking. what could be the problem?