Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe Transmission Problems

Comments

• chrisbradchrisbrad Member Posts: 2
    2007 Santa Fe 6cyl 20k miles

Sent the wife to the dealer today to check out a faint noise I noticed coming from the engine compartment. I thought it was a pin hole exhaust leak maybe. The noise did resemble a faint ticking which I was hoping was more of a "puffing" of exhaust. I remember hearing at some point that ticking is bad.

She just called and they're replacing the transmission! Oh boy. They're covering it and providing a loaner but I'm still worried about the major surgery on it and it running right when we get it back.

Its not my primary vehicle but I didn't notice any issues traversing gears last time I drove it (but also I can barely change the oil so I'm not the best judge of automotive issues).

Do the symptoms our car had fit with a tranny replacement?
  • carolannemckcarolannemck Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 Santa Fe with 75000 km(45000 miles) recently started having some intermittent problems when going down fairly steep inclines. I live in the Andes in Ecuador and while driving on the Pan Americana to Quito on two separate trips the vehicle has sudden gone from 4th gear to 2nd gear while traveling downhill. It seems to bypass 3rd gear. After the 1st isssue, I had the transmission drained, cleaned and the fluid replace, but yesterday it happened again on the way to Quito. It works fine if you manually shift, and there are no other problems with it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • geragera Member Posts: 13
    I have a '01 Santa Fe. The first year I bought it, I went through 3 transmissions. After that, everything worked fine, no problems until last week. I have always kept car well maintained. Most people think it's a lot newer. Anyway, at 162,000 miles, while I was out of state of course, I went up a steep driveway, something clanged and after I got it parked, noticed the leaking fluid that followed me. Thought I'd double check to see how the car was doing and that's when I realized I had major problems. Car is currently with a mechanic out of state. He has completely rebuilt the transmission, 3x now. Works fine in higher gears, not in lower gears.

I would tell you that you will probably get a new transmission from the dealer. Usually the best way to go on that since you are under warranty. They should give you a free rental car to drive until yours is repaired. Mine is no longer under warranty. If anyone can help me help the mechanic figure out why it won't work in the lower gears, I'm all ears.
  • srz948srz948 Member Posts: 75
    2008 Santa Fe LTD AWD. 20K miles. My wife called on the way to work this morning with the same problem. Loss of power, ESC light on, AWD icon flashing &CHECK ENGINE light on. She shut off the car and the ESC switch to off. Restarted and the ESC OFF light is on as well as theCHECK ENGINE light. The car seems to run ok though. Any answers before I call the dealer. I like knowing what I'm talking about when I go in. Thanks.
  • scott190scott190 Member Posts: 1
    I kid you not, my wife just called and she's stranded up the street with the same problem. Her will start but it won't move. Same Santa Fe model and year.
  • kriscoakriscoa Member Posts: 3
    I just hung up with the Hyundai person that called me from Sept of last year. She never returned my call so I called her. Her basic response to me was to take the car to my dealership. She said they Hyundai issues technical service bulletins on known issues and that they would know if this is a known problem with the car. She, of course, reminded me to call roadside assistance if I break down again. I am heading to FL again at the end of this month. The same trip I took when this all happened (for the third time) last year. I will keep this post updated. I can tell you that everytime it happened to me, they replaced sensors and they were not all the same sensors.
  • daniel56daniel56 Member Posts: 1
    My 2010 Santa Fe , [2 weeks old , 800 miles ] I have had 3 incidents where there is a very big bang under the car , , always at low speed , sounds like someone hit the car with a sledgehammer, took it into the dealer , got it back , they could not duplicate the problem , not good , must be a better way of analysis on this problem ?
  • 1234693212346932 Member Posts: 33
    I have a 2003, hyundai santa fe, 4cyl, 2.7, front wheel drive. I have a slight "jerk", as I apply the gas, goinging from park to drive. The vehicle starts to move and a second or so later, "jerks" then continues to proceed fine. A number of service advisers, could not find a reason, for this problem (computer not giving any codes) I had one service provider, say it is a motor mount problem and could cost upwards of $900 dollars, depending on the number of mounts, to be replaced. Has anybody experienced this problem? I am not convinced, it is a motor mount problem.
  • jgmurjgmur Member Posts: 1
    I have 2010 Santa Fe. It has 6500 miles. The transmission has "slipped" four times since it has 5000 miles. This has happened when I am slowing down at low speed, usually below 25 MPH. I took my foot off the gas (not braking), then the engine accelerates, transmission "slips" not engaged, and then the transmission engages and slams into gear. This last happened tonight. When the transmission engaged this last time it was like we were re-ended by another car. It threw our heads back against the headrest. I just took this to the car dealer last week for the same problem. They looked for error codes, nothing was recorded. I will return to the car dealer tomorrow. This transmission definetly has a serious problem.
  • pdm5021pdm5021 Member Posts: 1
    I have 1200 miles on my 2010 Santa FE Limited and am experiencing the transmission "Banging" problem too. It happened, for the second time, yesterday and I went straight to the dealer. No error codes and a test drive proved no help. Slowing down at slow speeds, and both times it happened in the morning within the first 5 minutes of operation. Definitely feels like being rear ended. It is either transition from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd gear.
    Nothing ever seems to show up on their stuff. If you have a good dealer, they will put the car in their shop and give you a loaner until they find the problem. I thought that all the problems with the transmissions were over after the 2001 (and the 3 transmissions they put in that year). It's a great car if they'd just get that problem straightened out. And, it always occurs in 2nd and 3rd gears. Always slow start first thing in the morning. You almost have to wait for it to "warm" up first. Just my 2cents worth. I've had mine since they came out in 01.
  • exq987exq987 Member Posts: 6
    I am considering buying a 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe SE FWD. I have been reading this thread and am concerned about the transmission. Are there really a lot of problems with it? Would you recommend buying the Santa Fe? Are these isolated cases? Any assistance is appreciated. :)
  • kriscoakriscoa Member Posts: 3
    exq987, while each time my issues showed the chassis of the car indicating transmission difficulty, my local service person assured me that it was a different sensor and NOT the same problem every time. I love my car. I would buy it all over again.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    I have an 08 SF Ltd AWD and have had NO transmission problems, FWIW. ;)
  • glucoseglucose Member Posts: 10
    I read on another forum that appparently the hyundai santa fe 2010 and Sonata 2011 there is a transmission service bulletin for the technicians. will try to find the website for you. by the way my 2010 santa Fe AWD does the same thing, it feels as though the car shakes briefly.
  • glucoseglucose Member Posts: 10
    I read on another forum that appparently the hyundai santa fe 2010 and Sonata 2011 there is a transmission service bulletin for the technicians. will try to find the website for you. by the way my 2010 santa Fe AWD does the same thing, it feels as though the car shakes briefly.
  • exq987exq987 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the replies... I feel good about purchasing the car.. Hopefully I will have the Phantom Black Metallic next week. (Hopefully it will be in stock) :D
  • rplatnerrplatner Member Posts: 7
    I have same problem others have listed. cold morning start - I pull out of my driveway, coast down hill...and BAM...car jerks into 2nd gear. the rest of the day, it drives perfectly. Dealer suggested I let car warm up for "5 minutes"....that seems ridiculous to me.
    I have noticed the following: when I start car in morning, it is idling at about 1500 rpm. (throughout the day, the idle is around 500- 600 rpm).
    It seems this fast idle is what is making car jerk into 2nd. Other than letting the car warm up, another work around has been to use the shiftronic transmission..and manually go from 1st to 2nd.

Anybody have a dealer/service dept come up with actual fix?
  • urbookieurbookie Member Posts: 1
    :cry: I took delivery of 2010 Santa Fe Limited FWD April 27th. At time of delivery the malfunction warning light was on, but being unfamiliar with that, figured it was supposed to be on because it was on at the time of delivery. On May 7th, when studying the owner's manual, I realized I had a problem. In less than 2 weeks of ownership and with only 285 miles, the transmission had to be replaced. The dealer took it in for repairs on May 10th and completed the work on the 14th. I have not picked up the vehicle because I am shocked and angry and I want nothing less than a full refund because I was sold a car that was "DEAD ON ARRIVAL". I regret that I passed up looking at Toyota because of their problems and substituted, what is for me, a far worse problem with Hyundai. Thanks to all of you willing to write your helpful comments here. I am especially grateful to learn that we are not the only ones with the lurching problem. I have a medical problem with my neck and I cannot have any jerking motions. Some of you said it feels like being rear ended and you heads were thrown back against the headrests. This is truly a reason for me to avoid this vehicle. :mad:
  • syrup1syrup1 Member Posts: 5
    I have an 04 with 3.5 V6 AWD 78K miles. wife was driving to work and had a big jerk like she was rear-ended. vehicle went into 3rd gear and stayed there. she called. I told her to turn of key and restart. she drove 1 mile and did it again. I told her to turn off ignition, off/on at least 10 times real fast to reset computer. She did this and it ran ok for bout 50 miles and did it again. Local trans guys said 5 gear was out and computer places it in 3rd gear "limp mode" so it can be drivin but not fast. Had towed to dealer 75 miles away, my expense. dealer said I had to show where i had serviced the tranny and changed the oil EVERY 30K miles to validate warranty. :mad: I told them I do NOT meet severe use standards, I dont drive over 100mph, no dusty roads, no towing, no mountains, no stop/go traffic, no off road. Wife drives to work 15 miles each way on paved road. They said it gets hot and cold in missouri and therefor requires severe maint schedule. i said that is not stated like that in the manual. If that was the case it would never be used on routine maint schedule because it is either hot OR cold every where in US. So why have a regular maint schedule. What do you guys think about that? They dont want to replace it, can you believe it. Dean Team hyundai in Ballwin MO, where I bought it. :lemon: How do I get the tranny fixed, I have 10yr 100K warranty on drivetrain?
    **WARNING** Read about Hyundai warranty BEFORE U buy.
    I was told by Central Regional manager of customer warranties located in Texas-Jim Giese, as well as local manager from Dean Team Hyundai, as well as customer complaint department for Hyundai motors this: :confuse:

They do NOT know of a state in US that would allow a vehicle to fall under "REGULAR" scheduled Maint services. This is what eliminates every state in US, it is either too hot, too cold, or humid, or changes from hot to cold you MUST use Severe duty schedule, on top of towing, dusty conditions, high speeds 100+mph, use in mountains, frequent stop & go traffic, as well as long periods of idling.
    In conclusion, noone in US meets Hyundai's WORLD famous 10yr 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. They do not tell you this. When you bring your car in, thinking you have done ALL your regular maint, they pull this card out and deny you the repair. They will not accept walmart/plaza tire service receipts as having all your fluids checked (I tried, sorry no chance) or any other "oil change place".
    I was told that the fluid goes bad in the transmission in 30K miles and needs to be changed, but they do not tell you this. I asked why dont you just make everyone use the severe duty schdule and not print the regular one, and was not given a response.

I was told by District parts manager in Stlouis area that would offer me a one time offer of a free transmission if I agreed to have ALL the Severe maint schedule services done to my car, they said it would cost $1800. Take it leave it. :mad:

In closing, they will not honor their warranty AS STATED in your manual. This is where they make their $$$ on you, by denying warranty coverage.
    I will NEVER BUY another Hyundai again, plain and simple. :lemon:
  • mapram1mapram1 Member Posts: 10
    May I ask.....what company you had purchased the extended warranty from? It sounds like you were pleased with the company and the coverage. Granted, I'm asking almost two years after your post but, I'm curious (and desperate).

Thanks.
    District manager agreed to give me the transmission if I had the timing belt replaced. At a cost of $700+!!!. :sick: They did give me a rental car for the week. I did look at the new car warranty for 2010 and 2011 and it has changed but it is not the same as mine, they should honor the way my warranty was written in my 2004 manual. This should be a warning to all, keep your manual and your warranty from your car.
  • iv6teciv6tec Member Posts: 14
    The Hyundai dealers in Canada are trained to refuse warranty work as well, based on the same argument, i.e. there is no province or area within Canada where the regular service schedule applies.
  • angelamckangelamck Member Posts: 1
    On May 14th/10 my 8 year old son was sitting up front on his booster with his seat belt on, and he able to put the gear shift from Park into Drive without a key in the ignition or foot on the brake, while my husband was just in the process of placing our 3 year old in his car seat when the car started to roll down our steep street and crashed over a retaining wall. Since we've had independent mechanics, inspectors, and three hyundai reps come and check it out. All involved could duplicate the problem. Our autobody shop mechanics also witnessed the three Hyundai representatives duplicate the problem, AND YET, in writing to us they said they couldn't. I do not trust Hyundai and they have not yet responded since their denial. I just want everyone to try out their shifters and make sure this is not a defect your car has - as we were lucky our children were not killed.
  • chrisbradchrisbrad Member Posts: 2
    I just got a call from my wife - this same thing just happened to her 2007 Santa Fe.

She was halfway inside the back seat of the car vacuuming it. Two kids (3 and 5) were each sitting separately in a front seat as they love to pretend to drive and we believed this to be safe (the keys were outside the car on our front porch). The car started rolling backwards! Thank God our driveway incline is not too severe and my wife was able to make her way to the driver seat and get her foot on the brake and get the situation under control.

Our Santa Fe has only a bit over 20k miles but recently had its transmission replaced (see link).

Needless to say we also will never again trust that this is safe.
  • prsantafeprsantafe Member Posts: 1
    My 2010 Santa Fe makes a very bad sound when starting , like a big Knock . Feels like if the car wants to start driving at the same time it turns on , but the parking brake stops it , told the problem at the dealer but cant find the reason . Anyone with the same probem?
    have them check the transmission. That's how mine first started. The dealer couldn't find the problem back in '01 either, but after it started bucking, they knew for sure.
  • saltcrawsaltcraw Member Posts: 1
    My 2010 Santa Fe also tries to go into reverse at times when started--Second time in dealer, they heard lound knock but said they cannot find prob--will be returning for third visit this week--also have problems with engine miss in second gear or third gear when driven slow--dealer says they cannot duplicate so this time will take service mgr for ride and if I have to, will spend all day there so they can feel starting problem
    You need to demand from the dealer that they do something about your car. The 2nd and 3rd gear miss is also stemming from transmission problems. One day you'll be on a trip and you will have some major problems. Since mine was rebuilt, I just cannot trust it for long drives any more. Of course, I had 3 new transmissions the first year ('01). Was just rebuilt (while on vacation in another state) at 162,000 miles. We have always kept the car up to date on all services, etc., every 3,000 miles, etc. Good luck. The dealers don't want to hear about your problems once you buy the car and drive off. Only one dealer that was great with us. Reliable Hyundai in Springfield, MO.
  • arkandavearkandave Member Posts: 1
    Everyone with the 2010 Santa Fe "banging" problem needs to go to safercar.gov and report this problem so we can force a recall. I reported my Odyssey brake problem last year and now there is a recall. I realize it seems goofy to trust the government with anything, but these guys seem to enjoy sticking it to the automakers!!!
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    edited July 2010
    I have the 2010 Santa Fe banging problem - started about a month after we bought it (February 2010) only happens about 1 per week - dealer claimed they never heard of it before - looked at me like I was some sort of crazy fool. I described it as --

It feels like someone bumped into me from behind - the first few times it happened wife & I actually looked out of the back window expecting to see the car that had rammed us.

I really figured the car was going into gear or something - mine is the AWD model - I thought maybe it was sending some power to the rear wheels.

For about a week every time my wife would leave home & start the Santa Fe I would look under the vehicle - then one day it happened as I was looking under.

The engine starts - then the vehicle shakes to the point the muffler bangs into the rear of the frame - that is what makes it feel like something hitting the back end.

Have just started to notice a strange feeling - normally would only happen when we were leaving home - and slowly turning the corner on our street - when the transmission shifts from 1-2 it was like the road was a washboard.

Today it did the same thing coming home on a 2-3 shift.

I called Hyundai customer service after my dealer could find nothing wrong - they offer no help - the old - If it does not register a code on the computer or unless the dealer can duplicate the problem - we will not do anything.

Per Hyundai customer service I am the only person in the world with these problems.

Maybe several of us should get together - set a time & date to all call into Hyundai customer service at about the same time. :mad:
    You are not alone. This problem has been ongoing since the '01 Santa Fe models. No, it does not show up on the codes in the computer. You have to be persistent and pressure them into doing something about it. I really think that everyone needs to get together on these transmission problems and contact the head honcho at Hyundai. You're describing that jerking problem. It's the transmission. Some of these dealers don't want to acknowledge the problem, even though it exists. I had 3 transmissions put in my Santa Fe in '01. After the 3rd one, I didn't have a lick of problems with it until it hit 162,000 miles. Then I had to have the transmission rebuilt and we are back to the same old problems. Of course, it's not under warranty any more. We were religious about having service done every 3,000 miles at the dealer. I believe there was something about the warranty being voided if you didn't have service completed at the dealer, but I don't quite remember for sure, so make sure you do that. Good luck. You just have to keep bugging those dealers.
    The banging problem you describe sounds like a previous problem I experienced.. Also the messages I have been reading on this site lately, concerning tranny problems & not being able to get help from hyundai warranty, are correct. The attitude (or policy) by hyundai ( in today's world )is to put a "spin" on any tranny warranty problems, to get out of a repair under the warranty. To make a long story short, I have a 2003, santa fe & recently went thru a tranny problem under warranty, ( different then the problem you have listed above) that took me a year to resolve and only was repaired, after I e-mailed the CEO of hyundai. Any way the problem you mention (banging) sounds like the same problem I had on my 2003 santa fe, back in 2006. At that time it was corrected with out any hassel, under a hyundai TSB # 04-40-007. You might ask the service dept to look up this TSB and see if it is the same problem, you are having. Good luck
    I will give TSB 04-40-007 a shot - but think they will claim since the 2010 model has a different engine & transmission it does not apply.

Just for fun called Hyundai customer service - they will do nothing -

We really like the 2010 Santa Fe - planned on buying my daughter a 2011 Tuscon as a graduation present - but will put that on hold - no reason to buy from a company with no after sale support.
  • kkellycocokkellycoco Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2010 santa fe that bangs when you start it and clunk when in drive and now is reving and then a loud bang. I took it to the dealer and it did not do this there of course so they installed a flight recorder which plugs into the car computor to the left of the steering wheel and it has a event button to press when the cars clunks. The information was then sent to the hyundai engineer and he could see I have a faulty transmission. my car was built 12/09. They told me they will be putting in a refurbished trannie, seems like it should be a new one so this makes me very unhappy. overall I wish I did not buy this car. For all the people who have taken their cars to the dealer and they have said they cant reproduce the problem DEMAND A FLIGHT RECORDER BE INSTALLED!!!!
  • eldinnsreldinnsr Member Posts: 1
    i am also facing the same.
    when i click on start the car bangs
    hyundai has to fix it up....
  • slydryslydry Member Posts: 4
    I'm in Canada, purchased my 2010 Santa Fe AWD in May and mine is also missing gear at around 20 Miles/hours when engine is cold. It acts as in neutral and suddenly, a tranmission bang occurs when getting into gear. The bang seems to be comming from the rear.
  • rplatnerrplatner Member Posts: 7
    I posted several months ago - the similar story of having harsh bang going from 1st - 2nd ....when car was cold. This occurred within the first few weeks of ownership. It happened 2-3 times a week initially. Dealer told me he had never heard of this (of course!) and to let car warm up for 5 min. I made several observations: this banging only occurred if the car is idling fairly high (1200-1500 rpm) typical of very cold fresh start. As the idle speed drops below 1000....it does not bang. The other thing was this only happened if I did not apply the accelerator. In other words....when i pull out of my driveway in the morning, and COAST downhill.... BANG......but if i pull out and press the gas pedal, it shifts fine. For a few weeks I used the work around of utilizing the shifttronic "pseudo" manual trans...switching myself from 1st to 2nd. This worked well without any banging. After reading lots on this forum, and elsewhere - one concept mentioned is that the cars computer learns how you drive and certain settings in the transmission are adjusted (and learned). Some people reported having their computer reset - flashed? ...clearing bad learning perhaps....and that this fixed problem. IN any case, after several months, my banging problem has just about totally gone away - without any special interventions. I suspect the computer learned to do the right thing. I also suspect those of you that have had 3 transmissions replaced are either having a significantly different problem or you're quest for a permanent and immediate fix of the problem is leading you to more trouble than you might have had if you just waited it out a bit. (like having a stomach ache and getting your appendix removed right away)
    My main reason for not going into the dealer screaming was that except for that first moment of a cold day, the car drove perfectly the remainder of the day - Hopefully some of this might help you - 1. let car warm up in am so that idle speed is dropping 2. if you cant wait long enough to warm up and need to jet out of your driveway - use either the shiftronic manual to go from 1- 2 smoothly, and press the gas pedal..dont coast. and 3. wait a bit...see if your cars tranny computer learns how do this better...mine did. (in a perfect world, should we have to do these special things to a new car...definitely not....but after several months I am pretty happy with my car and how it drives.....) Good luck
    edited July 2010
    My bang when starting problem only happens 1 or 2 times a week -

I figured I would try starting the car in neutral for a while - just to see if NOT having it in park would solve the bang - not that I always want to put it in "N" but - just to see if it mattered.

Well to my SURPRISE the first time I started it in "N" it made the BANG

Second time BANG - third time BANG

I have now figured out that if I drive the vehicle a few miles - then park it for 15 minutes - and start it in "N" I get the BANG every time.

Not sure why - but if anyone is having a problem showing the dealer what the problem is - try starting it in "N" (with foot on brake).

Back in march when I first had the dealer look at it - I ask about a FLIGHT RECORDER - said he had never heard of it - so I ask Hyundai customer service about it - they have never heard of it either - I had this done with an Acura TL problem - I figured maybe Hyundai did not support this devise.

Thanks for the info -
  • slydryslydry Member Posts: 4
    What rplatner is describing is the exact same problem i am eperiencing.
    I went to the dealer la week and they have reseted the computer but this week, still having the same problem. As stated by rplatner, it only occurs when idling fairly high (1200-1500 rpm) and when accelereator is released and pressed again at around 20 mph.

I have another apointement with the dealer tomorrow. Let's see what they come up with this time.
    Did you try the TSB?
  • jefarrjefarr Member Posts: 1
    I whish that I had checked this forum before last week. I had a 2004 and less than 5 years into the warranty, I started to hear the banging sound. The dealer said no diagnostics showed any problem. At least twice a year, I kept bringing it back. I use the car for commuting and visiting family across East coast, and so last week it now has 115000, and the car slips into reverse for no reason. Took back up to Wright dealer in Pittsburgh, PA and they also said they could hear it. They reported to regional Hyandai who essentially said: "over warranty. Your problem" It became a BIG problem as on the road after asking us to get it off the service property in 24 hours, the transmission blew itself apart and siezed. It was on a narrow blind curve hill where someone could have wrecked into us. The car couldn't move forward or back. We had to push in neutral up on the cliff-side while it ground the whole way.
    If your car is making this banging noise, HAVE THEM REPLACE ITHE TRANSMISSION.
    What is wrong with Hyundai? They essentially said - go wreck, not our problem, you bought the car. Dealer no help in advocating either. They just want to move more new cars.
  • dhimdhimdhimdhim Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2010
    I have had exact same problem with my 2010 Santa Fe FWD Sport 3.5. I took it to the dealer the first time at 5000KM they reset the transmission and was told that the transmission needs to relearn how I drive and it will fix the problem. At 10000Km took it again as the problem went away and came back. This time as I drove out of a Multi level parking the car would jerk forward(shifting) when I slowed down. Took it back to the dealer and they have told me that the PCM will need to be replaced. I understand that is the main computer and there is now an upgraded version to fix the problem. I am told that as soon as the part arrives they will call me to bring the car in. I picked up my car on December 22, 2009

I previously owned a 2006 Santa Fe All wheel drive GLS and never had a single issue with that car.

The dealer I purchased the car from is very helpful and I know they will resolve this problem soon. I am sure Hyundai is aware of this issue and they are working on the fix as this.
    I ask Hyundai customer service about the TBS -

After going around and around and around - I finally put it like this.

If you had a TBS that was exactly the same as the problem I am describing you would not apply it to my vehicle?

They answered YES - unless the dealer can duplicate the problem no work will be done to your vehicle.
    it seems you have a good repore with your dealer. they say it is the computer, so give it a try. also might want to let the dealer know about the TSB, explaining it seems like the same problem you are having.
  • lhedmontonlhedmonton Member Posts: 2
    I'm also in Canada. I purchased my Santa Fe in June and immediately the banging happened intermittently when starting the vehicle. I reported the issue at the 6,000 km check-up. My dealership has advised me that I am number 9 at their business to have this situation. Hyundai Canada is aware of the problem but extremely slow to fix it. Hyundai advised the dealership to top up the transmission fluid, reset a computer component & then have the owner drive the vehicle after the reset for more than 300 km. I have complied and the banging is getting worse. I now am to return to the dealership for ---- . Bottom line is the vehicles are 'bad' and require new transmissions BUT Hyundai obviously does not want to recall their problems & fix it.
  • jemms2010jemms2010 Member Posts: 10
    I too purchased a 2010 Santa Fe after owning a 2004 with zero issues never once did it give me a problem and was very safe for my family, so we decided to get another one. After purchasing in December 2009 took delivery but seemed they forgot my hitch package, sent back to the dealer and they installed a 2009 hitch package on the 2010 as there was not one for the 2010 - seems odd but no worries worked out fine. then we started feeling a jerk in the vehicle when we were going very slow about 20-40 km, thought it was nothing continued to get worse, sent to the dealer, they couldn't replicate the issue, told them to keep it for the week until they could find it, they ended up replacing the transmission after two weeks - big hassle on our end - we did get a rental vehicle in the meantime paid by Hyundai - but even this was inconvenient - a brand new 2010 vehicle that need a new transmission? bad taste already - so picked it up all fixed drove like a jem - then month later same thing started happening again - back to the dealer - at this point I am very frustrated - they take it back and tell me it has something to do with the setting of the gear shifts time lapse in between shifts - so they adjust it - also adjusted the computer in it - can't remember what it is called - get the vehicle back again after a month same noise and it tends to wan to jolt forward when I have my foot on the break as well as jolt between gear shifts and not to mention it revs when my foot is on the break and when I need to pick up speed there is a lull between the rpm's go up but the vehicle goes no faster - don't get it - why after having made reliable vehicles in the past is this model such a problem - and the dealer apparently has never heard of this before - what a crock I printed off all the blogs form this page and gave it to the Service Manager -and I do feel that contacting Hyundai Canada is useless - the reason for them not recalling this vehicle is probably because they don't have a fix yet!
  • tntalso29tntalso29 Member Posts: 1
    I have loved my 08 Santa Fe...until until about the last month of so. Have approx. 25k miles on the car. There had been no issues until a computer sensor had to be replaced, after the car had stalled while driving on the freeway around town. After that service, there was a growing humming noise under the car. Noise contined to get louder until I took the car in to have it looked at. Because they couldn't replicate the noise..they told me to take the car home. On the way home, the noise came back and was quite noticeable. I took the Santa Fe immediately back to the service center. The Service Mgr at the the time and techs working that day investigated and determined the car would need a new transmission!!!!. The car was left at the dealer for 5 days. Then I get a call from a different service mgr stating they could find nothing wrong with the car!!!??? After a rather heated discussion, I took the car home as they would not do anything. Since that time (approx a week ago), I am now noticing a clunking sound when I shift the car from drive into reverse. (Never had that issue previously.) I am waiting to hear from a regional mgr as I am totally unhappy with the service I received. I loved my Hyundai....but this recent issue has left me very flat in continuing to own a Santa Fe.
    edited September 2010
    We planned to buy a Tucson for my daughter - but decided to buy Jetta instead -

Not so much because of the banging problem - every car company will have a few problems - but because of the crappy way we have been treated by Hyundai -

I hate being lied to -

We still like the Santa Fe - I talked to a manager at Hyundai - reading between the lines - he sort of said Hyundai is working on a fix - but like so many car companies doesn't want to admit they have a problem.