Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe Transmission Problems

Comments

• mike519mike519 Member Posts: 16
    With a cold engine in the morning, my 2010 Hyundai Sante Fe vehicle transmission shifts with a lound "bang" around 10mph. This is sporadic. Also at start up, the vehicle while sitting in park, does the same thing when started, though not as forceful at when driving. I now have 4800 miles, and this has been happening every 2 or 3 weeks minimum. I used to think little of it until it has begun repeating even after the dealer "reset" the software. I also notice now there are several auto websites very aware of the problem. here is one: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f127d3d/199. I am scheduled to leave the car this week, and they are not acknowledging a problem unless they can duplicate it. I feel this is an unsafe condition to operate the vehicle in, and that it will only get worse. I will file a lemon law claim after 2 more attempts to fix this extremely obvious problem.
  • cainer02cainer02 Member Posts: 1
    I have had the same problem with my Sante Fe and I live in WI and bought mine 60 miles away in MN. This happened two weeks ago and they told me to watch it and let them know if it happens again. But for now to turn it all off then turn it back on...then it worked again.
    The same thing happened one week later and so I brought it in. They couldn't find anything wrong with it because I pulled over right away and turned it off and turned it back on too quickly so that the computer didn't "catch" the problem.
    When it happened again this morning, I drove it directly to Hyundai without turning it off and had them hook their machines up to it. They found out that there is a "memo" that was just sent out about the transmissions. They are having to replace my transmission and they are now on back-order until mid-October. I just bought the Sante Fe a few months ago and have 5200 miles on it.
  • davebkdavebk Member Posts: 3
    I purchased new Sante Fe last spring. At 13,500 miles it started to leak oil. I took the vehicle to the dealership on August 16th and as of today still do not have the vehicle back. After replacing the oil pan to stop the leak, the "Engine" light went on and the dealership could not figure out how to correct the problem. They had to have Hyundai Engineers come in to recommend multiple part replacements in an attempt to correct this. The latest attempt is to replace the CAM phaser? I have contacted the Hyundai Regional office and have created a case number. Regional contact says the problem will be fixed but at this point I am thinking "Lemon". The service techs have told me there is another vehicle on the lot with the same probelm.
  • penciltailpenciltail Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2010 Sante Fe in July and have experienced the clunking sound intermittently only during a cold start before putting it in gear. Of course the Hyundai dealer won't do anything until they have replicated the sound. They state that they have no idea what the sound is, even though I have stated to them .."isn't there some history behind this sound and the Sante Fe?" Any suggestions on the approach I should take?
  • jemms2010jemms2010 Member Posts: 10
    I just dropped off my santa fe today after they already replaced the transmission in the winter, Hyundai has sent a bulletin to Hyundai dealers/service techs that it has nothing to do with the transmission but the computer that controls the gears shifts, that it is not timed correctly, so when you have the intermidant shift change between gears the transmission feels like it is slow at chaging gears automatically, ask your dealer to check the new bulletin,I am getting a new computer put in today as the quick fix they did last time resetting the time between gear shifts did not work. Hope this helps because I was without my vehicle for a week when they replaced my transmission and turns out it wasn't the problem, get them to check the computer modual before they change the transmission because the samne problem came back after they changed the tranny.
    Go to camvap.ca if you are in Canada and take a look at it, if you have followed the steps they require you may be eligable for this and its free - not too many people are aware of this site and help in regards to LEMON vehicles, but we do not have the Lemon law in Canada, this is like the same thing.

The CANADIAN MOTOR VEHICLE ARBITRATION PLAN is a program where disputes between consumers and vehicle manufacturers about alleged manufacturing defects or implementation of the manufacturers' new vehicle warranty can be put before a neutral third party (arbitrator) for resolution.
  • rplatnerrplatner Member Posts: 7
    I agree with message #224 - if you read thru these 224 messages, one will find a handful of people who have had transmissions replaced. Many of those had the transmission replace multiple times!! it doesnt seem like any of these people got a successful end result. - I strongly believe there is absolutely nothing wrong with the "transmission" - but more likely the computer control over the transmission. In my case, if I allow the car to warm us such that the idle rpm drops below 1000 rpm....the car drives perfectly. If i hurry out of the garage with the engine cold and the rpm at 1500....I get the disturbing BANG. In any case, I am not about to let any Hyundai dealer replace my transmission and cause more problems. What I am waiting for is someone to post that their dealer fixed the computer issue successfully - (either by replacing the computer or reset). Best of luck everybody. in the meantime - i suggest 1. let your car warm up. 2. use the "pseudo manual" triptronic shifting from 1 - 2 if you can't wait for car to warm up. 3. one day someone is going to post that the dealers officially acknowledge the problem and have a relatively simple fix (WE HOPE)...that does not involve replacing the tranny.
  • tedrik2tedrik2 Member Posts: 13
    According to a Hyundai mechanic who is a member at the hyundai-forums.com (click on 2007-2010 hyundai santa fe) the problem has been identified as originating from a factory defect in the assembly of the transmission: There is insufficient clearance between the clutch packs (1st-2nd and 2nd to 3rd) so the shifting is "too tight" between 1st-2nd and 2nd to 3rd and also from park to reverse. There is "no fix" as of yet. They are simply "reflashing" the tcm and the ecm and then replacing the transmission with another DEFECTIVE unit. Supposedly, he attended a training session with Hyundai and they are suggesting they be driven 4-6000 miles in hope that friction will eventually create enough clearance for a seamless-smooth shift in these problematic gears. I would think that "friction" would result in metal flaking into the trans. fluid and result in complete failure (IMO). Suggest you read the Hyundai forums. There are many with the same tranny problems, including myself. Hopefully (doubtful!?) they will eventually release a RECALL and install defect free transmissions (that were supposedly corrected at the factory with the 2nd run productions.) We were all unfortunate to purchase the 1st run production 2010 santa fe's (my production date was 19 Apr 09). I will not let the dealer waste my time with all the NONFIXES.
  • dhimdhimdhimdhim Member Posts: 3
    I had the PCM replaced on my 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe here in Canada, Its been over a month now and all the problems seem to have gone at the present time. I have now driven 4000K after he PCM was replaced and apart from a banging sound I get for approximately 10 seconds when I start the car in the morning there are no more issues and the car drives and shifts really well. I am going to speak to the dealer when I take the car in for service. My transmission was never replaced but reset the first time at 4000K and it did not work.
    Only concern I have is what kind of damage has the transmission sustained as a result of 10-12 K driving. May be some experts will provide an opinion.
    Is the 10 second noise more of a "thumping noise"? If so, it is probably the ABS doing a self-adjustment after start-up (usually after a few hours of non start-up). At least that's what I was told-makes sense. If it's a metallic sound-then probably the tranny, however, I never heard of the the tranny making a noise for a 10 second duration.
    Correction: My 2010 Santa Fe, SE. 3.5, was manufactured on 19 Dec 09.
  • cobergcoberg Member Posts: 1
    a few weeks ago I noticed what seemed like slight slippage ? when driving and the tranny was shifting from 2nd to 3rd or whatever.didn't think much about it but yesterday I started out driving about 30-35 kms when it seemed like it went from drive into neutral for a couple of seconds . Before I realized what was happening there was a very loud bang or thump that was felt and heard by every one in the santa fe. Any ideas what happened.Will dealers even look at the tranny if I take it in or I'am I wasting my time and just wait till the tranny blows up ?
  • rutan74rutan74 Member Posts: 20
    Well count me in as another with tranny problems on a 2010 Santa FE. We bought in March of 2010.

I have the 2.4L engine.

No problems up until last week. Wife came home and said the car was making a thump sound under her feet. I had just driven the car home from work and noticed nothing. Next morning on way to work I was listening for this thump. Sure enough, not more than a 1/4 mile while braking or giving it some gas, I could hear this thump. Almost sounded like the ABS was sticking.

Anyway, proceeded on and within the next 1/2 mile, the tranny totally blew. This was after stopping and making a right turn into traffic. Bang. Then a mashing of gears. Metal on metal and no engagement from the driveshaft. Coasted to the side of the road and called Hyundai roadside. My car is 6 months old with 20K on it. Yep, we've had to make few trips so the miles have added up quickly over the summer.

So, they come and get my car. The grinding is in all movement gears, with Park and Neutral silent. Although the car will not hold in Park.

Get to the dealer and he basically brushes it off. I am more than P.O'd. This is our second Santa Fe and the first had a premature alternator failure but the tranny in it at 100K was starting to slip.

Without to much investigation, they order a new, so they say tranny. Say it's the first they have seen! Ya right!

So they give me a loaner Santa Fe SE. I drive it for one day as it has 5K on it and the TPS tire senor lets go and the tire goes flat. I mean the entire valve stem disappeared into the tire or was shot out of the rim. They are clueless as to what happened.

Anyway, while getting that problem fixed, I told them Hyundai apparently has a tranny problem as many are reporting problems. They say they have heard nothing. I say to TSB's are out on tranny issues so there must be something going on. Meanwhile folks in the waiting area are looking at me as I grill the service rep. He just shrugs it off and says Warranty! Nice.

He said not to worry because if the tranny fails again in 20K miles we will replace it again. I said, not with me. I will bring the car back and you can have it. I've had about 10 new cars and about 10-15 used cars over my life and this is the first car that I've had were a tranny has blown in so few miles.

What is even more disturbing is that when I questioned them on what the damage was, they said they did not know yet. But they knew enough to order a new tranny! I said why have you not pulled it and looked at the driveshafts to see if there is any damage to them? They said, "Oh, we've never seen any damage on those."

So, on Monday my new tranny will be in and they will begin the process of fixing my car. If I get a call and they tell me there is more damage that they did not know about, I will blow a proverbial gasket. They should have removed the damaged tranny and inspected all the drive components so that they could have ordered all the parts at one time. Silly me for thinking proactive.

My car is sitting in the exact same spot in the same position as when I left it. They have not looked at anything besides putting a tracking number on my rearview mirror. So they must have seen more than one of these before.

Now Hyundai needs to come clean and do a recall.

jg
  • renoscottierenoscottie Member Posts: 2
    I have the exact same issue. Not as bad thru summer when hot, but cool mornings it is back. And no the computer cannot replicate it. Anyone want to buy it? <7,000 miles.
  • tontztontz Member Posts: 2
    Purchased new 2010 Hyundai Santa /fe on June 18,2010. At less than 1000 miles, vehicle when cold made loud banging noise in shifting from 1st to 2nd and sometimes from 2nd to 1st and only one time during the day. Problem repeated 2-3 days later, always in AM after setting all night. This is identical to the problem many on this site are complaining about. First trip to dealer (kept it 24 hours). Said they reset computer, raised RPM to about 750. Vehicle ran okay for about two weeks when banging returned. Dealer kept it for 24 hours again, duplicated the problem and reset the adaptive values of transmission per TSB 10-AT-011. Vehicle ran fine until yesterday, Oct 2, 2010 when banging from 2nd to 1st returned even louder and with more force. Do we have a manufacturing defect here? Is Hyundai in denial just like Toyota? Live in California so have recourse to Lemon Law, but perhaps not just yet. What do you think?
    I think you definitely have the same problem lots of us have. As I have stated in earlier posts, my only "fix" so far is to allow the car to warm up - so that the rpm idle is down to close to 500. (my car cold - starts up idling at 1500 rpm). Once "warm", i do not get the bang.
    I would say there is definitely a defect here -whether its the transmission itself, or the computer, or something else I cant say - but yeah...this is definitely not right.

The most frustrating part of this story is no one on this board has yet to post that their problem has been completely resolved. There are dozens of posts in which people got brand new transmissions (with the problem quickly returning) - so that tells me its either not the transmission (or they are replacing defective trannys with another defective tranny). There are also dozens of posts mentioning computer resets (and I don't think anybody has said this really worked either). And of course, there are those most disturbing posts in which people say Hyundai has never heard of this problem and the computer doesnt show it and its not repeatable at the dealer and so....there must be no problem...its just in our heads i guess.

Bottom line: I continue to hope that someone here will post that their dealer FIXED their problem by.............(fill in the blank Please!)
    Thanks.
  • slydryslydry Member Posts: 4
    Hyundai finally changed my transmission at 8000 KM. This has fixed the slipping from 2nd to 3 rd gear and banging when in Reverse. But, this has introduced a new intermittent problem. When starting the engine, 1 out of 10 times it feels like the transmission is engaged. The vehicule does not move but I can feel it shaking.
    Mentionned it to the dealer and they told me to wait for another 2000 KM to see if problem will go away by itself !!! Wow I am very impressed Hyundai!
    Well, I finally turned my 2010 santa fe in to the dealership to hopefully remedy the transmission problem. They used TSB 10AT006 which referred to TSB 09AT002-1.
    They checked the fluid level=GOOD, then RESET TCM ADAPTIVE VALUES and drove vehicle to perform RELEARN PROCEDURE. They stated in the paperwork-"vehicle is shifting correctly at this time" "no further action needed at this time".

The vehicle is shifting smoothly in all gears(for now!). I still have, however, the delayed " metal clang" from somewhere under the vehicle about 1 second after shifting into 3rd gear (even though it is now a smooth shift). It only does this ONCE-the remainder of the trip(local driving) I do not have the problem-no clang. If I restart the car after about 20 minutes at 500 rpm's(still warm) it is also okay. After a cold start (I wait for the rpm's to get to below 1000 rpm's from the cold start 1500 rpm's) it will "clang" again-and only ONCE. I'm" guessing" that it could be that there is not enough tran. fluid circulating until after the 1st shift into 3rd gear due to the purportedly defect of "tight clearance" between the clutch packs. Anyone else have this problem (with/without otherwise smooth shifts?)

Rplatner seems to be correct in waiting to get the RPM's down to 500 to temporarily minimize these problems (takes about 30 seconds on a cold start to get it below 1000-haven't yet waited to get the rpm's down to 500). Bottom line: We SHOULD NOT have to endure the inconveniences of looking for ways to help minimize our problems! Who's job do you think that might be!?!?
    Thanks for that update. It sounds like TSB 10AT006 did seem to help - though all is apparently not perfect.
  • dbqfandbqfan Member Posts: 16
    I bought a 2010 Santa Fe on May 30th of this year and it has had the transmission problem since the day I got it. I stopped at my dealer and asked if they have had or have heard of any Santa Fe transmission problems and they denied any knowledge. I am researching the Iowa Lemon Law and I am notifying the Iowa Attorney General of this problem and Hyundai continuing to sell these vehicles when they know there is a huge problem with the transmission. I have 7,000 miles on my Santa Fe and the slipping is getting worse. I do not want a new transmission if it will not cure the problem plus it really makes me mad that they will have to tear my new car apart with the possibility of damage while at the dealership. This is a huge disappointment for me and this is the first and last Hyundai product that I will buy.
    Now! If I could also get the passenger front seat to stop rattling on non smooth roads-said they could not DUPLICATE the problem-didn't know Hyundai hired hearing impaired techs (can't miss hearing that rattling seat!) Oh, well-Transmission is more important.
  • rutan74rutan74 Member Posts: 20
    My transmission failed over 2 weeks ago as I posted what happened in here. Since then, I have gotten a loaner, the loaner has blown a TPS sensor causing a flat and my car is still not fixed.

Yep, it has now been 15 days and counting and still no fix. Talked to the dealer last Thursday and they have not gotten a transmission from Hyundai yet. Or so they say. Makes me wonder if Hyundai is not having huge tranny problems and none are available, or are hard to get. Maybe mine is being rebuilt, I don't know.

At any rate, I have begun to check into the lemon laws. Not sure if they are based on what state you bought or what state you registered in. Since I live in SC and bought in NC (I live real close to the state line) it will make a huge difference. NC's lemon laws are much better than SC's. NC's state that 20 working days is the limit within 12 months. So far I have 15. I might go ahead and contact a lawyer just to find out.

What is distrubing apart from the fact that my tranny went out at 20K (6 months of ownership) is the fact that the dealer has not contacted me at all. I have been the one to call. Yep, I am driving their loaner, but I find it odd that they are not checking in with me.

We will see. If I don't have my car after Monday, the wheels will start to turn on finding out about my exact position in regards to the lemon laws.

rutan
  • pancakes74pancakes74 Member Posts: 1
    This exact thing happened to me last night (2008 LTD AWD, 11K miles) right in front of Portland International airport. It's awesome to sit in front of the terminal, waiting for a tow! I'm disappointed to read that others have experienced this same problem.. repeatedly. Have any of you had the problem resolved permanently or is it still an ongoing issue?
  • lynzaylynzay Member Posts: 7
    Hey there everyone,

I had sort of the same issues as others. I had 18000 kms on my 2010 Santa fe and Sept 23rd when i was driving to work I started to slow down under 40km/hr and the car felt like I went over a huge bump. I didnt think anything of this. The second time again was when I was coming to a stop under 40km/hr again and this time it was a distinctive jolt forward and bang. I had to stop and get gas and when I restarted my car going from Park-to Drive it felt like the whole car just dropped, loud bang, and a jolt forward.

I had the car towed to my dealership as I was working a night shift. I told my boyfriend what had happened and he looked up this website and told me. The next morning I took it to my dealership and told them what was happening... they never heard of it... and it couldnt possibly be the transmission because it's a new car... the service department was very rude told me I couldnt beleive what I saw on the web and they would call me later. They did give me a rental at this point.

They called me in the afternoon and told me what I had already known that they will be replacing the transmission and the right front drive shaft. They also told me that when they put it on the hoist that the drive shaft looked like it was shredded... someone please tell me if this is possible since I know nothing about cars, only what I have researched! They supposdily opened up a ticket with Hyundai Canada and sent the pictures of my car to them.

21 DAYS LATER..... is when they call to tell me my car is finally ready. I have only had it back for 4 days and so far things are back to normal. The reason it took 21 days was because the parts were apparently on back order and had to be ordered from South Korea because they had none in Canada... likely story which they are sticking to and telling me this is an issolated incident. Everything was fixed under warranty and the car rental was paid for by Hyundai oh and did I mention that they had tried to get me to use their shuttle service instead of giving me a rental but I stated that was not good enough not to mention I work 30 mins out of town.

As I said so far so good, will update if there is anything further.
  • snowman61963snowman61963 Member Posts: 5
    After replacing same sensor 3 times the thing is still doing the same thing , hard jerk as if hit in rearend.Last sensor was ordered online from dealer in Washington state. Really getting pissed on this. Only went 3 blocks last time when check engine light came on this time :mad:
  • royh1royh1 Member Posts: 7
    I have been checking the forums since early summer when my new Santa Fe, all wheel drive Limited started having the problems discussed. The transmission has been shifting smoothly but upon startup it slams and rocks the whole car. My temporary solution to this has been to click the starter momentarily, thus rotating the engine and tranny a little, and then do the regular start; it almost always keeps it from slamming. Since this is a defect, I took it to the dealer here in Ohio, and while I was telling the service rep about the problem I heard a mechanic that was behind him, whisper in his ear that they all do it. Great! He noted the problem in the computer and said he would call, needless to say I have not heard a word in over 2 months. My problem today and the reason I am writing this in the forum, is because I was going up a small incline at about 20mph to 25mph,after the engine had warmed up, and the transmission slipped and then slammed back into gear. This is a serioius problem for longevity, and I am afraid about taking a long trip which may result in a breakdown. I will attend to this with a more serious attitude with the dealer immediately. My car has about 10,000 miles, and has run perfectly. I really like the quality other than this serious transmission problem.
  • snowman61963snowman61963 Member Posts: 5
    we have the same problem except for it does it when you are driving any where from 40 mph to 70 mph and does it without any warning. Had it do this three times on way Chicago this weekend and thought it was going to break down. We have over 100,000 miles and the first sensor was replaced prior to expiring warranty :mad:
  • donenowdonenow Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2010
    today was the 3rd time I had my 2010 santa fe veh in for the same kind of transmission problem, runs very rough on cold start going into 4th gear, sometimes revs up to 4000 rpm before banging into 4th gear. have appoint. on Nov 1st to leave veh. with Rosen Hyundai for a check out.
    I have a 2010 Sante Fe with similiar transmission problems, hugely disappointing. I looked at lemon law and the service manager tried to dissuade me by saying there is no acknowledged problem to complain about. That after I handed him volumes of posts and notes about the issue. Just today I discover there is a service bulletin finally out that supposedly addresses the problem. I am suspecting a shoddy coverup at this point and will act appropriately.
    Am in same boat here in Sarasota, Fl. with my 2010 Sante Fe. At this point sorry I bought it-dealer denies a problem. A definate problem with the new 6 speed transmission for Hyundai. They best address it or risk their reputation. I'll file lemon law after next trip to get a fix, the issue is well documented,
    My previous posts documet the banging issues I have experienced since taking ownership in May 2010. Today the dealer told me he is replacing the transmission. I HOPE that means the problem has been identified and solved, not just avoiding a recall by trading transmissions.
    changing the transmission does not work, I had mine changed in February and the noise came back, they are replacing the computer module that communicates with the whole vehicle, try to avoid the transmission change it will not fix it, and you will be inconvenienced again. Might want to let your dealer know to check the bulletins sent to hyundai dealers andservice workers, get them to order a new computer instead.
  • tontztontz Member Posts: 2
    This is 234 updating my transmission problem to 235,237,240,242,243,245,247,248 and 250 plus any others. Last two days the transmission went from banging to very hard slamming. Took to deler yesterday morning. They are keeping auto to take transmission apart. Service rep admitted that they will likely replace the transmission. He is not specific but says there is a service bulletin out on this vehicle. Mine is a 2010 Santa Fe fwd 6 cyl with 1900 miles. Although there is no firm commitment on part of dealer, I am optimistic.
  • hyutech10hyutech10 Member Posts: 3
    Hello folks. Just finished reading all of your posts. Its disappointing to some of you taking your Santa Fe's to dealers who are poor representatives of the Hyundai Motors company. Just to make some clarification, yes there is a technical service bulletin out for shift quality in this vehicle. And yes, there is a PCM reflash (computer software update) to address those concerns. However, there are instances where that reflash may not work. Thus, you'll return to your dealer for further diagnosis. As a tech, I'm sorry it has to be that way, but its either that, or we KEEP your vehicle for a few weeks to drive and diagnose it (although, some of you have posted you've been without your vehicle for almost a month for transmission replacement? You need a new dealer.) Which would you prefer? So then the next step for us is to verify whether or not it could be a faulty PCM or even a valve body problem inside the transmission itself. Now it does vary from case to case, so jumping to conclusions and condemning a part right away isn't the proper way of getting these things fixed. At my dealer, there has been 3 customers with the same complaint in the last year, and 2 of them were transmission replacements. The other was a faulty PCM.
    The point is, as frustrating as this is, to have transmission problems in a brand new vehicle, please try and remain patient with the rest of us (who aren't trying to inconvenience you, that is) while we get this problem rectified for you. And as a reminder, there are service departments out there who really do care about their customers concerns! :)
  • np01np01 Member Posts: 17
    I am fortunate to have a supportive (so far) dealer, so I'm inclined to agree with your perspective. Just the same, my '07 slams into first on cold start every time, but then it doesn't do it again. I just assumed that it was typical of the design, and am hoping that it doesn't turn in to a problem. Is there a connection between this and the problems of the '10 models? I'm presuming that the TSB just covers the new cars.
    So as I posted before I had the transmission replaced, the computer reset three times and now the computer has been completely replaced and my vehicle reprogrammed so far no issues. They are confident it had something to do with the computer module in the vehicle, hopefully they were right and I never have this issue again its was on going for almost a year.
  • petdrpetdr Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 2010 Santa Fe V6 AWD last month, and already have had transmission problems. Twice the car has jerked very hard and lurched forward when driving about 15mph. The jerk was so hard that at first I thought someone had rear ended me! We have also noticed that it is often hard to put into reverse and the car sometimes lurches very hard when shifting from Park to Reverse and shifting from Park to Drive. This is so dangerous! A recall is urgently needed
    If I remember right, there is a seperate TSB for your 07 Santa Fe. I tried to view it on the HMA Service web site, but apparently its down for whatever reason. Your problem is not related to the 2010 model year, because you have a 5 speed automatic, the 2010 uses a 6 speed.

If you're still inside your warranty, I'd recommend taking the SUV to your dealer and talk to them. More than likely there is a PCM reflash to ease the harsh shifting.
  • joe919joe919 Member Posts: 4
    We wanted to buy a 2010 but couldn't find one we wanted. Then we heard about the transmission issues. WTF. Can't they resolve this effectively by now? What is the problem? It's only a transmission for crying out loud and they've beem making these things for years. Does it apply to the AWD or V6 models more so? What percentage of vehicles are affected?
    I stopped a few people I've seen with Sante Fe's and they had no trouble so they said. One salesman I spoke to who says he sold tons of them, never heard of the issue (of course).
    Lastly, the 2011's are coming out now - is it fixed?
    Sorry for all the questions but just trying to sort it out.
    Unfortunately for the consumer and Hyundai, this transmission problem varies. What I mean by this is it has ranged from being a PCM software issue, to being a valve body issue in the transmission. Personally, I haven't heard whether or not the AWD transmissions are part of this problem. So far in my experience, it has been the 6 speed transmission on V6 models. 2010 was the first model year to feature the 6 speed transmission, which is Hyundai's first ever 6 speed. This same transmission is used in the 2011 Sonata, 2010 Tucson, and the 2010 Azera, however, the transmission problems only affect the Santa Fe (so far) which were built early in the production year (don't know the dates off the top of my head). As far as I know, none of the other vehicles, such as the Sonata and Tucson have been affected. But then again, 99% of those vehicle will probably still have less than 5000 miles on them.
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    edited November 2010
    I'm wondering the same thing as well. I've even considered getting a 6-speed manual trans model that would skirt that whole issue entirely. I does seem to be a big problem for a small # of people. If it was me, I'd scream too. I did check another magazine that Reports to Consumers about these things, and the 2010 Hyundai shows a very good reliability for the transmissions. I also read a piece about Hyundai and how they are unlike other major manufacturers in that they will improve the product through the model year, instead of waiting for the year to change.

To top that, I just drove a GLS Auto Trans model last week and it drove beautifully. Very tempting. I'd get a late-build 2010 or 2011, and be happy I got a very safe, very reliable CUV, at a good price. This thing blows my 2007 Highlander away. Smoother, quieter, better looking, much better ride AND handling, roomier, Bluetooth, and thousands of dollars cheaper. Between this and Forester for me right now.
  • dbqfandbqfan Member Posts: 16
    I wish the dealer would just be honest and tell us that they are aware of the problem and Hyundai is trying to fix it. I had mine in and the dealer replaced a module and now it is doing the same thing again. I call the service dept and they act like this is something they never heard of. I have contacted my states attorney general and have my attorney working on the lemon law. I feel that the best thing is to go after the dealer using the lemon law. I do not want to keep taking my Santa Fe in for a repair of the same problem. My trans is slipping even when I pass a car on the highway plus I get the big Bang noise when shifting from 1st to 2nd. gear. I feel that Hyundai is like Toyota and refuses to acknowledge the problem until someone gets killed. I would hate to be in a passing situation and loose power because the trans is slipping and get into a head on collision. I am just plain sick of the dealers BS also. They get the deer in the headlights look when you tell them about the trans problem. All I get is "bring it in and we will look at it". Why bring it in when it has the very same problem it had the last time I had it in for the so called "fix". You can be rest assured that this will be my last Hyundai and I am going to tell every car dealer in my city that they should warn there customers about the Hyundai trans problem. Naturally, the salesman did not warn me about the problem when I bought my Santa Fe but if the customer is warned ahead of time by the competition maybe the Hyundai salesmen will be more honest. I am sure if the other competitive car dealers are advised of this problem and Hyundai starts loosing sales then maybe they will do something about it. I do not like the pot luck fix that is going on right now. If is very obvious that the trans is defective and quite possibly needs a complete redesign and Hyundai is not willing to do that, at least right now - so we suffer as a consequence.
  • donenowdonenow Member Posts: 3
    just got a call from Rosen Hyundai to say my issue is a computer issue or a new trans, they do want to be sure so they are test driving the car. Rosen has been great by making sure I have a loaner at all times. I have never been with out transportation. I will keep all up dated.
  • sharon1670sharon1670 Member Posts: 1
    I am in the market to purchase a new car and was all set to purchase a 2010 Santa Fe AWD v6 this week...... Until I read about all the issues the car seems to have. What do you recommend, should I still go ahead with this purchase? I would hate to end up with a lemon or with a car that has known problems. The alternative to the Santa Fe would be the Forrester. Which do you think would be a better bet?
  • 1234693212346932 Member Posts: 33
    go with the forrester
  • geragera Member Posts: 13
    Go with the Forester. Although I used to love my Santa Fe ('01 model), the first year we went through 3 transmissions. Didn't have a lick of problems until March of this year at 165k miles and were out of state and had to have transmission rebuilt. Still having the same old problems every other Santa Fe has had. It's been a long-standing problem with Hyundai and I wish they would just fix it. It's a great car. We kept it up with having oil changed regularly every 3,000 miles. Everything got fixed when it was supposed to, etc. We kept good care of it. Expected it to last at least to 200k. We looked at Forester before we bought Santa Fe. In retrospect, should have bought Forester to begin with.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    edited November 2010
    One thing to do is check out other sites for info. If you go to Consumer Reports and look up the reliability record for the Santa Fe, you will find that their survey results contradict what the last few posters have reported and that the Santa Fe's transmissions are rated to be very trouble-free. I know I will get flamed for saying this, but anecdotal and non-empirical evidence may indicate that a few owners are having problems, but that does not indicate that all, or a statistically significant amount, are having problems. My two cents. Oh and I am a Santa Fe owner (2008 AWD Limited) and have had no transmission problems whatsoever. So the question is--who do you believe or trust more? Satisfied or dis-satisfied owners? The choice is ultimately yours and yours alone. ;)
  • iv6teciv6tec Member Posts: 14
    Consumer Reports is not always reliable with respect to vehicle reliability ratings. On my 2007 Santa Fe 3.3 V6 AWD the throttle body had to be replaced three times and both front stabilizer links once at 50,000 km 31,000 mi. These are both widely reported problems with the 2007-2010 Santa Fe and CR makes no mention of it. As well, the rear brake calipers tend to corrode and seize if not dismantled and cleaned yearly which is a very costly service that Hyundai service departments recommend for obvious reasons.
  • iv6teciv6tec Member Posts: 14
    The 2008 Santa Fe has a 5 (five) speed transmission. The problems being reported pertain to the new for 2010 6 (six) speed transmission
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    I know the 2010 has a 6 speed vs the 5 speed in my 08, but one of the previous posters mentioned transmission problems he/she had with an 01 Santa Fe so I thought I would chime in with my experience.