Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rendezvous

Comments

• mmeehanmmeehan Member Posts: 66
    Hi everyone, I haven't written anything on this board in about 18 months ( I see some old friends from waaaay back like john325, dindak etc.) and you probably don't remember me (I'm the first owner in the US with an all-leather CX bought way back in April 2001....my salesamn advised me I was the first) and I'm getting real close to the end of my warranty (I've got 35,720 miles) and am considering an extended warranty and wanted to get the experts thoughts here about EW's. Does anyone know anything about Warranty Gold, which is advertised here on Edmunds?

By, the way I haven't had any problems except a few minor problems initially since we bought the vehicle and it's been all the way from the heat of South Florida (where I live) to the tops of the Adirondack and Smoky Mountains. So we've given it a good workout. I'm seeing soooo many more on the road here in the Fort Lauderdale area and it's kind of neat to know I was the 1st to own one here in my area. When we went up north we saw them all over the place. Looks like Buick has a winner!!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Our warranty "partner" is Warrantybynet, linked from the main edmunds.com page. At least on my computer! Maybe I have some ads blocked, lol.

Anyway, here's some articles that may help:

Warranty Tips & Advice

The Finance, Warranty & Insurance board has a few warranty discussions (more in the archives), and this one you may want to browse:

"Warranty Gold" Claims

Steve, Host
  • islandpeteislandpete Member Posts: 94
    john325, Sorry to hear of your problems. Cannot relate to your tranny problem. My wife basicly drives our RDV. On longer trips I drive and it still seems to be problem free and a pleasure to drive. The Key Fob is definitely a big joke. You have to be almost on top of the car for it to work. In comparison with my Sable that works from inside my house to unlock the doors with the car outside in the driveway. I wonder if you purchased a new keyfob if it would be better or the same? Worth a call to Buick :)
  • cigar95cigar95 Member Posts: 13
    Good ascii artwork, Nextmoon! Maybe you have a future career out there.

In referring to your first diagram - if I attach the cover to H1,2,3, and 4, that's when I get the sagging. If I attach it to H1,2,5, and 6, then I don't get the sag, but the cover now cuts the storage area in half.

My salesman was going to try to find out what is and isn't the right way to install it. I think today I should call him back.
    Maybe it's left over from my early days as a driver in the 70s, but I have a paranoia about locking my key in the car. In the old days, I always had an extra key taped under one of the bumpers.

Is there a good spot on an RDV to stash a key? (Maybe this shouldn't be posted in public for obvious reasons. I can be emailed at evely7 "at" tokyo "dot" c o m .)

Other than the possibility of a bad guy finding a poorly-hidden key, is there a reason not to stash a key like this?

Thanks for any ideas and input.
  • garywgaryw Member Posts: 116
    Yup - the offer on the table is a CX w/traction control, abs and airbags for $15,989. There probably is another $500 in there to squeeze them for. I really want AWD but they are so loaded up with options that the price is beyond my budget.

I'll keep ya posted.
  • jk27jk27 Member Posts: 244
    If you purchase a RDV with OnStar, they can unlock your car via satellite (pretty cool). So, you don't have to worry about getting locked out (as long as you have a cell phone with you). I personally wouldn't place an extra key outside my RDV -- it makes it too easy for would-be thieves.
    As someone around Town Hall pointed out one day, with OnStar you always have to make sure you don't lock your cell phone in the car.

I keep a key hidden under my back bumber and have had to use it a couple of times. I figure a crook will hotwire my car before he'll crawl around underneath looking for the hidden key.

Steve, Host
  • cfocfocfocfo Member Posts: 147
    A CX with those 3 options, (traction control on FWD is not bad on the roads) will be a slick RDV at that price. Hell, see if the dealer will split the cost of aftermarket leather, and you will be the deal maker of the year here.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I keep a key hidden under my back bumber and have had to use it a couple of times. I figure a crook will hotwire my car before he'll crawl around underneath looking for the hidden key.

LoL! Don't count on it - they know every trick in the book and then some.

tidester, host
    Yeah, but it takes me 10 minutes to find it when I need it. And I sort of know where I hid it :-) The crook will find it easier just to jimmy the door.

Another perk of driving a MV; no one wants to steal it anyway, and if they do it's not going to be a great loss!

Interestingly enough, "of the 200,000 calls Onstar advisers receive each month, about 500 are to report stolen vehicles." link

Plus, "the distinctive OnStar antennas are actually a deterrent to some car thieves." link (maybe I need to steal one of those for my van? j/k!).

Steve, Host
    That fear of locking your keys in the car seems greater with these new door lock sensors/timers that have a mind of their own.
  • john325john325 Member Posts: 237
    mmeehan: Nice to see you on the boards again. I too had a long absence, until our tranny problems arose at the end of December. Since then, I've been in touch to keep folks apprised of the challlenges we've had. Btw, the topic of Extended Warranties came up a couple weeks back or so. Here's a link to a post I made:
    Warranty Info Link from RDV Forum

Glad to hear you're enjoying your RDV.

islandpete: Yeah, I'm kind of like you. I seldom drive the RDV. My wife drives it all the time and loves it. And I agree w/ you, the RDV Key Fob is a joke. I'm surprised the other regulars here haven't commented on it. There should be a recall or a "fix" for it. The question is, will enough people make enough noise. Or do we just kind of sit back and except an inferior situation on what is suppose to be a "quality vehicle"? It seems given a choice, the big carmakers, GM or Ford, or whoever will hide there heads in the sand if they can. Hopefully they don't do so with this issue.

Anyway, it's good to see you on the boards again. Take care.

John B.
  • herbsrdvherbsrdv Member Posts: 4
    Hi all, Just purchased a new RDV (Base model) adn checked out the key fob. It works at least 50 feet away from vehicle. The RDV was built in Nov. 2002. Maybe they made some production changes. Also,the rear hatch opens with a squeeze on the the handle.There appears to be a rubber switch built in, as long as the doors are unlocked,You can open the hatch. As far as the performance is concerned,It is O.K.Not a ball of fire but adequate. Love this car so far. ( Only 100 miles) HerbsRDV
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    I tried my key fob from about 50 yards away and it worked. I didn't try it any further away, but 50 yards seems good to me (it's about the same as my other remote entry car (Chrysler LHS)).

Sorry, I guess it's a regional problem.
  • wws2wws2 Member Posts: 23
    The key fob has a range of about 100 feet in our RDV. Not enough to find it in a huge parking lot, but otherwise adequate.

Just changed the oil last weekend. DIC oil monitor warning came on at about 4500 miles. Used Mobil-1 oil and filter.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    I've noticed my LeSabre is dull at receiving signal sometimes and
    other times opens from 60-70 ft away. Where is the receiver for these
    radio signals located on RDV or LeSabre?

I think at times when mine worked at great distances there was some
    metal next to the car that bounced a signal toward the car giving a
    higher strength signal received.

Is the receiver in the rear view mirror along with other dimming electronics?
    Or is it in the rear 3rd tailight assembly?
    I'll ask my service manager the next time I'm there.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

If I could get anything close to 50 yards w/ our RDV Key fob I'd be elated. As others from totally different regions than me (Northern Calif.) have said (see links below) they may as well use their key since they have to be so close to make the key fobs work. As I said, 2 other GM products, '99 Ponitac Bonneville (that I own) & '03 Chevrolet Astro Van (that was a rental during the repair period) get at least 70 yards w/ their key fobs. Why I'm having trouble getting 20 yards with the RDV makes no sense... I guess since it's a "luxury" car, you know Buick and all... imidazol97: if you can find out anything noteworthy about the key fobs, I'd love to hear it.

Islandpetes Key Fob Results(N.Y.)

Paulmlac Key Fob Results - Midwest

Meanwhile, you won't belive this... We got the RDV out from "service" last Friday. They've had our car practically a month. When I picked it up, it was filthy; exterior dirt everywhere. On this visit we told them that one of the second row cup holders had broke and that it needed to be fixed. Well, when I came to pick the car up, they said their repair guy couldn't figure where the cup holder came from. The service writer asked, perhaps I mistakenly got it out of another car...???? Hello !!! These guys supposedly work on them every week; they sell them across the street at their "sales lot". And supposedly their service manager drove a RDV for 6 months. Yet they couldn't find where the cupholder went. Nor did they bother to phone me ask for some "guidance'. And so I showed them that afternoon when the car was suppose to be ready.

The clock/radio was supposed to have been changed for the second time now due to the incorrect time problem. Well, after I got on the road and was about to pick up the kids at 3 pm from school, I realized the clock was 10 minutes slow. I called the manager on this point too, and he said, "Well, that shouldn't have happened." And oh yeah, while I told the manager that I was extremely dissatisfied w/ everything that's happened at his shop (btw, you may recall they wrecked my rack & pinion steering in their shop while they were replacing the transmission) he said, you know you can always go some place else.

I am about to fire off a letter to Buick/GM. If anyone knows the best place to send such a letter to report a pathetic Buick/GM "service" shop, please let me know. At, this point, you might say that I am extremely dissatisfied w/ GM and Buick. Given a choice, I'd probably buy Honda or Toyota. My mechanic had counselled me as such before I made the RDV purchase 18 months ago, but I thought Buick would prove to be a quality Company. Boy was I fooled. Chalk this one up to the "School of Hard knocks".

John B.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Wow man, I'm sorry to hear your nightmare story...I'd be seriously pissed if anything close to that happened to me.

Your dealerships service department certainly sounds completely inept to me. They have caused you nothing but grief, and it is completely their fault.

I would certainly write a letter to Buick and let the brand manager know (is it still Jack Bowen?) what you've been through but especially, I'd write a letter to the owner of the dealership...you may yet get some well deserved satisfaction.

Keep us posted, huh?

Brian

P.S. Even if you bail on us and get a Honda, we'll still like you.
    Have you t alked to the owner or general
    manager? I would give them a chance to explain
    they have an employee problem or other explanation. Be sure to quote that "you can go somewhere else" speech.

Then write to Buick. All Buick will do is fax
    a copy of your letter back to whomever at the dealership handles the filter-down problems. But
    that might get things taken care of..., and irritate someone in charge that you didn't come to them first...

The worst part of your ordeal is what those guys working on your car are thinking. That service dept is probably tired of fixing your RDV and dealing with you. For him to say what he did means he thinks you're a pain in the [non-permissible content removed]. LIKE YOU ASKED FOR ANY of THIS ! They usually win because they wear you down and I bet the time you have spent on this is unreal.
    It's hardly what you expected when you shelled
    out $28K (or what ever you spent) for your new RDV.

The cup thing speaks volumes, alittle thing for them to take care after all the other repairs. It shows what they think about your business.
    Edmunds is providing you with an outlet to let us all know who and where this dealership is.
    Those guys deserve some kind of consequence for their treatment of you and the situation.

Good luck
    Thanks guys for your input on the lackluster service we've received at our local GM/Buick/Pontiac service center.

I sat down w/ the general manager today. We discussed the issues for about an hour. Some interesting revelations came up. He said they cannot wash a car at their premises because it was against the law. He said they'd have to spend about $150,000 to get a "water separator" in order to allow them to legally wash cars. I suggested, perhaps driving it to one of those spray & wash or drive-through car washes. He somehow rationalized that they couldn't afford to send a mechanic on a test drive through a car wash with the cost of benefits and such. I asked, "Can you afford to lose a customer?".

He seemed a bit surprised that his "technicians" couldn't find where the cupholder went; or that the clock came back to me with the wrong time. Through it all though, he admitted they've had some lousy service at their facility for a number of months. He attributed it to poor management decisions.

He explained away his service manager telling me, "You know, you can always go somewhere else", by saying, you know, we all have bad days and perhaps that was one of his. Well, maybe so, but that won't keep me there as a customer.

At the end, he had the service manager come in and apoligize, and the GM did as well. But you know, it's like when you know a restaurant serves bad food, you're not likely to feel comfortable going back. The only "reaching out" he tried to do for me was to sell me an extended warranty. That might have been music to mmeehan's ears, but not mine at the moment.

As the general manager seemed to be covering for the service manager and his own management style, I'd like to inform GM/Buick of the situation. I'd hate to think that other people, spending hard earned money, will need to experience the pathetic service that we have over the past 4 months. In that regard, fedlawman, or whoever knows, should I drop a line to the Brand Manager? Or who would actually care enough to do something about this dealerships's problems? Thanks again for you ideas and your support.

PS: How do I find out the CSI Standings (Consumer Satisfaction Index) of other local Buick service facilities. Is there a place to get "true" service information; or is this kept a secret. Thanks again.

John B.
  • dmingerdminger Member Posts: 10
    Not to change the subject. I'm about to buy my RDV tomorrow (yes!!). I just hope I dont have anything like what happened to john325!! So hopefully here's my last question. Are "Doc" fees a legitimate fee? My Buick dealer says "doc" fees are about $239. Is that correct? I thought that this was already included in the "destination" charge. Can anybody clarify this for me? Thanks!!
    I just want everybody to know that there is one more RDV owner in the world today!!! At 11:15 am this morning, I bought an RDV FWD CXL with sunroof, captains chairs, chrome hubcaps and the SD1 package. She's a beauty and she's all mine!! (Olympic White with light Sandrift metallic bottom..). Anyway, just thought I would share that with everybody. I've already called and emailed everybody else that I know!! Edmunds has been incredibly helpful. I also purchased the extended coverage program (I hope that was a good decision..). Thanks for everybody's help!!
    Now, tell us about those doc fees ;-)

Steve, Host
    Well, I've got another problem now. I was so ready yesterday. I had done my homework. Basically after the sales guy gave me his standard sales pitch, I pretty much stopped him. I asked how much the invoice was. He showed me a piece of paper with the amount of $30581. I then told him I would pay $200 over invoice ($30781). I even wrote the amount down on a piece of paper and circled it. He took it to his manager, came back and said it was a deal. We shook on it. I was ecstatic. This took place yesterday, Saturday morning. Well, I should have gone over the paper work more closely. I think they got me. I was looking over the papers last night and discovered that the "price" that they sold it to me was $31544. That was before adding taxes, and "doc fees" ($298). I am very upset right now. And the bad part is that it's now Sunday and there's nobody there. I think I got took. They added $763 dollars to the agreed amount!! Is it not correct that when someone states "invoice" (like I did) that that implies included transportation fees? Could he have charged me twice for transportation fees? The really bad part is that I'm supposed to fly out tonight for business and I will be out all next week. I wont get back until friday night. They got me, didnt they?? I am so upset...
    Okay, the crisis is over. I called and even though my salesman wasnt there, a manager and a finance guy was. I went immediately and they explained it to me. I am feeling soooo much better. Everything's cool. First of all they had taken my negotiated price and added $500 and $263 ($763). The five hundred has something to do with a "golf" program. Later down the sheet you can see where they subtracted it. They apparently have to do some funky math where they cant subtract the $500 immediately so they add it first and then later subtract it. The $263 was a legitimate addition. I had purchased the "Car Care" package, which costs $263. Mystery and crisis over. So I'm a happy Buick customer again. I never doubted them!! Great people!! Me sooo happy!!
    What is the car care package? I hope it wasn't a "pack."
    I always recall the auto dealer in Cincy who had $400 in pinstriping, 3m spray spot repellant on the the seats, and a wax job with a special name and charged more than $400 ($485) seems
    familiar for the $40 worth of items. I'll bet that bought a lot of baseballs and bats for the dealer!

• wws2wws2 Member Posts: 23
    It is hard to believe that the general manager of a dealership would give you such a hassle. Who washes their new cars? Someone has to do the 'dealer prep'...

Not sure where in N. Cal you are, but several GM dealers in the SJ area have on-site car washers. Even a lowly oil change gets you a free wash. Problem is, the dealers are so busy you have get an appointment a week in advance.
    Yeah, you're right about folks getting a car wash w/ merely an oil change... but not at this place. I imagine the costs for the work they've done for me in the last month alone have totalled at least $5,000, if not more (transmission, awd transfer case, transmission bearing and rack & pinion steering; of course thankfully it's still under warranty. Not to mention that they had our car for over 1 month! Just goes to show you that when it comes to Buick Service, "It's Not All Good."

Incidentally this "service" place is Colma Buick, Pontiac, GMC - I'd recommend avoiding them at all costs.

I can easily go to Burlingame Buick or pehaps to SF Buick. But before I do, I'd like to get some "independent" verification as to how good or bad these places are. I don't imagine they can get worse than Colma Buick, Pontiac, GMC. If anyone knows how to find this kind of info, that'd be great!

Also, I had inquired earlier, does anyone know who, at the corporate level, would do the most w/ this kind of feedback. Thanks for any advice.

John B.
  • montreidmontreid Member Posts: 127
    John, I've heard stories about that dealership from friends--not just Buick isolated. Personally, I bought out in Putnam in Burlingame, and they were quite friendly and straight shooting. They did play hard for an advertising fee, but relinquished that at the end.

The service department, however, I cannot speak for since I'm out here in Stockton and our RDV hasn't hit any service issues being only 2700 miles right now.

Sincerely hope your troubles end though.... feeling for you.
  • wampanaugwampanaug Member Posts: 14
    After many months of looking, a major incentive from Buick's current rebate plus over 5K in GM Card dollars, and lots of help from all of you on this board, we took delivery yesterday on a red CXL AWD. Quite a change from our 17 year-old Volvo wagon with 260,000 miles (which is still running like new, btw, and being handed down in the family).

Took it out in 10" of New England snow this morning and was amazed. Between the handling in winter weather and the sit-up-high feeling, I think we've made a very good choice. Let's hope we feel this way a year from now.

Thanks to all for your comments and insights.
  • dailydoubledailydouble Member Posts: 22
    I have to buy find a new car for my father. He is 60 years old and wants an "SUV" type. He has no need for 4WD and a budget of around $24K. With Buick rebates I think I can get the RDV CX 2wd or the Kia Sorrento EX for "more or less" the same price......any thoughts on what to get? I have 2 GM cars(Yukon and an Olds Alero) both are good, loads of features but my local dealer's service is "junk" ...I keep taking each of them back for small niggly warranty repairs that they "fix"...then I notice them again a day later and back I go again!..this worries me on GM quality...
  • mnfish1mnfish1 Member Posts: 14
    Watch the big town...or small town ads...right now in minnesota...you can get a new 2003 base rdv for $20,500 plus tax and license...and the base two wheel, in my opinion has everything ...good luck...i have no knowledge of kia anythings....
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Sorento is made my Kia. Kia reliability is about the lowest there is. Further, the Sorento gets very poor gas mileage and it's engine is no more powerful than the Rendezvous.

There is no contest here, Rendezvous quality and reliability are both very good and it's resale will be better also.
    Funny....I posted the same message on a KIA discussion site.... they all tell me "go for the Kia", the RDV is ugly etc etc....I'm 'Leaning' towards the RDV and my cars are both GM cars and apart from the niggly service issues I'm very happy. I guess it will all depend on who is willling to make the best deal??? As for re-sale value..the plan is to keep it till it drops....or at least 5-7 years...until they get fed up with it...I'm just trying to get the best value for money with low maintenance and low costs. is there anything to watch for on the RDV ?? I'm thinking to get ABS, Side air bags and traction thats all..on the 2wd CX.
    I don't have a Rendezvous or a Kia, I just think don't think much of Kia as a company, They were making total junk Sportages a year ago and now all of a sudden some people think they are making budget luxury SUVs. Oy!
  • herbsrdvherbsrdv Member Posts: 4
    dailydouble - get the RDV. You won't be sorry. I've had a lot of Buicks and they have always been very reliable vehicles. Just purchased a RDV last month and it has been great. Got the base CX model with front wheel drive. We have had a lot of snow here (Phila. area) and the RDV went thru it with no trouble. Incidently, I've been getting better than 20 MPG on every tankful. Herb
    The FWD base model with those three options, (ABS, side air bags, and traction control) is as good a value as you are going to find in an SUV. With 4K rebates and an "under" invoice starting point, I'm seeing almost as many RDVs on the road as RXs now.

At 60, I'm surprised your dad isn't looking at the Grand Marquis, which is also a good value, but not an SUV.

Regarding Kia, some swear they have turned the corner and could be a budding "Honda". Are ya feelin lucky ?
    Are saying start haggling for the RDV under invoice? I was looking at one at 26700 MSRP...
    What do you think i should start haggling at? no trade in and cash purchase!
    ...you should see what the Kia site says about RDV's....I'm torn at what to believe!..regarding my dad being 60....a young 60.
    I've had to convince them to go for something other than a Toyota...My wife and I have been pretty much been given the chore of "you pick it"...
    Buick is making a lot of RDVs. Shop the dealer inventories on line and you'll see what I mean.

When you get them under a couple of hundred bucks, they will agree, but then try and get it right back with the "local and national ad fees".

What are they saying at the Kia site ? Can you post the link ?
    Click on my name (Dailydouble) scroll down...and you will see the "what I have been saying" list..click on the KIA...
    STANDARD VEHICLE PRICE $25,120.00
    BRAKES, 4-WHEEL PWR DISC ABS $600.00
    CX FWD PACKAGE NO CHARGE
    DRIVER/FRONT PASS SIDE AIR BAGS $350.00
    TRACTION CONTROL $175.00

TOTAL OPTIONS $1,125.00

TOTAL VEHICLE & OPTIONS
    $26,245.00
    DESTINATION CHARGE
    $625.00
    We all sure love to defend our car purchases !

The front and side views of the RDV look good to me, regarding the rear view, it could be better but "Butt Ugly" is going alittle too far.

If the RDV wasn't built in Mexico, you could sell your Dad on the American vs Korea issue.

Is he a NAFTA fan ?
    lists as Invoice Price, (invoice price for your three options as well) and then subtract $300. That's a good place to start.

To be honest, invoice with a 4K reabte is not a bad deal at all if you choose the RDV ! IMO
  • cwjacobsencwjacobsen Member Posts: 293
    I have had nothing but good experiences with my 28K mile Rendezvous "Gamera." But buying a car is so personal and dependent (or at least should be) on the prospective owner's individual needs that I tend to let people form their own opinions rather than simply recommend what I drive. I can only say that Gamera has proved to be the optimal vehicle out there for my wife's and my needs and desires.

That said, I think it's important to note that both cfocfo and dindak are NOT Rendezvous owners, and yet they've had kind words for the vehicle in this forum for nearly two years now in the case of dindak and almost as long for cfocfo. I might quibble with particular opinions that they might hold, but both individuals have been balanced in their comments in my opinion.

CWJ
    The Kia sorento owners rave about it.. the RDV owners like thiers!......
    I guess as you say it is down to personal choice. My theory with the RDV was...If I could get a 28K car for around 22K with the rebates and haggling, then that seems like a sweet deal...but I've not driven it yet and may not like it. However, it does appears that both KIA and RDV owners are generally very pleased with their cars.... no one who owns one has said "Do not buy it"...so far!
    You sound like the gal who can't decide between 2 pairs of shoes, and ask's all her friends what they think, and yet she hasn't even tried them on. Do yourself a favor & drive them to see if you even like them... If may not be a good fit for you.

One issue that may be a non-issue is the "availability of parts". My mechanic (non-Buick, thank God!) recently told me of a customer situation where a part for a Hyundai or another Korean-make car (Not Kia, I know) was not even available, at all... I know it doesn't make sense, but that's what happened to one of his customers.

Now strange as it sounds on "part availability", I've been waiting almost 2 weeks, not counting the week Buick "service" had my car and couldn't figure where it went/came from, for my 2nd row cup holder. Not a pressing issue by any means, but a symptom of Buick's poor service which is "not all good".

All-in-all, I'd think GM would have an overall better chance of always providing parts for your car 3-5 years down the road, even if it does take a while.

Good luck w/ whatever car suits you.

John B.
    Kia Sorento AWD mileage : 15/18
    Buick Rendezvous AWD : 18/24

On average the Sorento gets 4.5 mpg less, that adds up, especially when gas is $2 / gallon in some places now.
    A couple of questions about how far I can push it -

When the low fuel light first comes on, about how much gas is left in the tank?

When the gas gauge points to the bottom of the scale ("empty"), about how much gas is left?

I happen to live in an area where gas prices vary widely depending on where you are. Driving another 15 miles might save me 20 cents a gallon or more, but it won't be worth it if I run out of gas on the way.

Thanks for any thoughts here.