Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe Transmission Problems

Comments

• mike519mike519 Member Posts: 16
    Hyundai in Sarasota, Fl. Put in a brand new transmission this past fall. I was ready to go to lemon law and they acted-only after they witnessed the transmission banging at low speeds. Why no recall is amazing.
  • tuck6tuck6 Member Posts: 1
    I also have had the same problems with my transmission. I had mine at the dealer about two weeks ago and they did some re programing. Not only do I still have the start up and shifting issues but now the whole car seems to vibrate at between 65 and 70 mph. I was wondering if anyone else with the 2010 Santa Fe was having that issue?
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    This one is dated January 2011. It is titled: 11-AT-001, and appears to be a new ECM Update.

As a reader of this Forum for a few months now, I crossed my fingers as I signed the deal a week ago today for a 2011 Santa Fe GLS 2.4. So far, 370 miles and no problems. The problems seem to be more prevalent with the 3.5L V6. Not posting to bring anyone down; I'm posting to prove that Hyundai is still working on this issue.
  • mikea11414mikea11414 Member Posts: 33
    Boy, you guys are scaring the hell out of me. I'm just about ready to sign for a 2011 6cyl AWD Limited. I've read that theres been some problems with the rear brake calibers but this tranny and drive shaft stuff is really worrying me. I know a few people with 09 Santa Fe's and they love them. Are these new ones really that bad? Please answer as soon as you can since I'm really close to signing...thanks
  • widg99widg99 Member Posts: 7
    hi frozen out in alberta, there is an agency out there called CAMVAP who can help us, google it and call them. from what i have read u should be able to get hyundai canada to take back the lemon because your vehicle is less than 1 yr old and has less than 25000 km on it and the dealer has made more than 3 unsuccessful repairs. as well they can help out all other consumers with related issues even with higher mileage check it out!!!
    I havn't heard anything bad about the 2011, from what the forums are saying it's only the 2010 santa fe. After talking to a hyundai sales rep these tranny and drive shaft problems are on the 2010 4cyl and 6cyl models so far. This engine and trany are both new to hyundai. best of luck!!!
  • dbqfandbqfan Member Posts: 16
    I had a "New" transmission installed in my 2010 Santa Fe and it has the same problems as the original one. I think this transmission is a bad design and Hyundai is trying to fix the problem with ECU reprogramming. I have had my ECU done 3 times now and that has not worked either. My attorney is in Florida and will not be back for another month or so. When he gets back I am going to court with the Lemon Law. I talked to him on the phone and he said a month or 2 will not make any difference so I will wait until he returns. I had my Santa Fe in last week for another ECU update and the next day the transmission was banging just as usual. I think there really is no fix for this unless there is a complete redesign. Hyundai came out with a new engine for 2010 and maybe they did not change the transmission. My salesman asking my what I was doing at the dealership last week and I told him about the transmission. He acted like it was the 1st time he heard about that. Either he is not telling the truth or Hyundai is hiding a major malfunction in the 2010 Santa Fe.
  • syrup1syrup1 Member Posts: 5
    I think most of the transmission problems are with V6 engine/trans combos. Mine is a 2004 AWD 3.5 V6. Had 80K miles driving down road and loud bang, snapped my neck and sayed in 3rd gear (limp mode) Had to replace transmission. They said I had to follow Severe Use guildelines. Normal use is not acceptable for anywhere in all 50 states, that is per Regional manager. Only way they would replace transmission is if I had $800 timing belt replaced, they would give courtesy replacement. Went to replace fluids and filter. Found out my replacement trans has NO filter. But manual says it has an internal AND a screw on External filter. Had machanic take it apart(big pain) found no filters. There is a casting place for a screw on but it is not bored and tapped. If they do NOT have any filters on some of these, that could be why some are breaking down. My dealer REFUSED to do any warranty work unless all severe use maint. is followed. :mad: I was told that only place you could use regular maint schedule is in an "enclosed test environment" What is up with that??? Please Email me for more info: syrup1 "at" butterworth.tc
  • iv6teciv6tec Member Posts: 14
    Don't buy a Hyundai and especially not the Santa Fe. I have a 2007 3.3 V6 with the 5 speed auto and about 40,000 miles on it. I haven't had any problems with the transmission yet. I had to replace the throttle body sensor three times. Every time it failed, it did so suddenly and the car would only drive up to about 10 MPH in limp mode. Very dangerous on divided highways or at night. I also had to replace both front sway bar links which started clunking at about 30,000 mi. I also had to completely rebuild the rear calipers which became badly corroded and seized up at about 20,000 mi. The rotors were badly scored and had to be replaced as well. I had to pay for everything. Hyundai would not cover the rear brake calipers or rotors as I declined their recommendation to clean and adjust the brakes once a year as my wife only drives the car about 10,000 mi/year. The so called brake service would have cost me $350 +tax. All Hyundai dealers are instructed not to cover any warranty repairs unless the customer follows the severe service schedule which includes very expensive and unnecessary work such as dismantling and cleaning the brakes yearly. That applies to every Hyundai vehicle. That is why they can offer 10 year/100,000 mile warranty. It is meaningless and they don't honor it!
  • royh1royh1 Member Posts: 7
    I have posted previously regarding my same problem with the slipping and slamming. It took one time for the dealer to correct the problem over 2 months ago. They kept the vehicle for 3 days, gave me a new car loaner and sent the ECU to the factory for reprogramming. I have had zero (0) problems since. Everyone in this forum wants to buy a perfect car as I would, but I have not found one in the last 50 years. This Santa Fe is still the best value and I like mine very much. As far as the severe condition servicing, I presented all those scenarios to my dealer, and they told me that I was not required to do anything more than what the regular service manual says to do, regarding the 100,000 mile warranty. I believe that there are too many dealers that are just bad dealers, and would be bad dealers no matter what brand they sold.
  • symon306symon306 Member Posts: 1
    where can i read this new tsb???
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
  • diamond22diamond22 Member Posts: 13
    I have just started reading the blog on transmission problems with the 2010 Santa Fe automatic. I have this problem originally when I only had about 750 miles on the car. I was in a cold climate and started the car and went no more than 500 feet when I had to stop for a red light and the car lurched like I had hit someone from behind. The transmission made a very loud thump and sounded like it was going to go through the engine. I started up again and drove home, more than 400 miles, without further problems. It happened a few more times, but very intermittently and I have been unsuccessful in duplicating it when I try. It only happens when it is downshifting. I had filed a mental note to have it taken to the dealer before I got a lot of miles on it, but it didn't seem to happen for a long time. Today, I pulled out of a parking lot, drove about 500 feet downhill to a stop sign and it happened again. This was the loudest thump yet. I have 7,380 miles on the car. I called Hyundai dealer and told them I wanted them to look at it and asked if they had heard of any problems. This was after I had read a lot of the postings on this blog. They said they were not aware of any problems with the transmission. I then sent email to the Hyundai owners forum and called the North America office. They also indicated they had no recalls or heard of any problems relating to the transmission for the 2010. I told the lady about the problems I was having and mentioned the blog problems which were rampant with problems with the 2010. She said to keep her informed. I dropped it off at the dealer a few hours ago and again, after explaining my experience, had anyone else reported problems. He indicated that he remembered on other problem. He told me it would problem be with the programming and they would check it out tomorrow and let me know. I will wait and see what happens. Unfortunately, a transmission can't make a thump that hard without doing some internal metal damage. Stay tuned. I traded in a 2004 AWD Santa Fe with 93,000 miles and never had a problem except for a $400 sensor - which caused the transmission to slip. Interesting. I loved my 2004 and that's why I decided to stay with Hyundai. The jury is still out on whether the 2010 will live up to the quality of the 2004. I believe the 2004 was built in Korea and the 2010 was built in Alabama. I wonder if the quality is the same??
    edited January 2011
    link title

Sign up for a free membership. Part of the Hyundai "ownership experience" that I found before I purchased. It something I've never had from Honda or Toyota. "
    This is a follow on comment from yesterday. I picked up my Santa Fe this afternoon from the dealer. He told me that there had been a recall on my car and they performed TC7 ECM update. The mechanic said he couldn't duplicate the problem which didn't surprise me because I haven't been able to do it either. This was shortly after Hyundai's consumer unit told me there was no recall. I blasted them in an email on not alerting customers to the problems that I had and have been reported in this blog concerning the auto transmission in the 2010 Santa Fe.
    I hope you are right about the fix being permanent. My dealer did the TC 7 recall ecm reprogramming today. I've got my fingers crossed.
    Joe, I am not a whiner. I have been a cheerleader for Hyundai products since buying a 2004 Santa Fe. Traded it after 93,000 trouble free miles for the 2010 V-6 2wd limited edition. I love the new 2010. However, I am having problems with downshifting as reported in this blog. The first time it happened I only had 750 miles on the car. It is very intermittent and I have been unsuccessful in duplicating it. However, it happened again the other day and I thought the whole engine was going through the front of the car. I took it into Hyundai and they performed TC7 ECM update which was issued by Hyundai - reprogramming. They couldn't duplicate the problem either. I've got my fingers crossed because I do like the car and was thinking of buying a
    Genesis, but will hold off until my 2010 problem is resolved.
  • enviroman2enviroman2 Member Posts: 2
    Been reading your posts on the Santa Fe and wondering ....is there anyone out there that has that model, purchased since the 2011's became available, that is having any trans problems.

Cars look great and are great to drive! I sure hate to put near 30 grand in a car and have it flame out right away.

Went to 3 different dealers in the Detroit metro area and they claim that they never have heard about the problems with the trans. but would get with the Hyundai reps and get back to me. One called back and told me that they haven't seen an unusual amount of problems....what's that mean?

I believe that Hyundai has a real problem with the 2010 trans. or whatever, and is trying REAL hard too keep it quiet as they are about to introduce their new line of super expensive cars at 70 grand.

Another thing that I thought unusual was when I asked the salesmen which engine would be the best they both recommended the 4 cylinder and it seems to be little or no problems with that engine....just maybe they realize this.

This is my first post on this board.
    2011 Sante Fes don't have trans issues as far as I know. they put a new trans in my 2010 and all is well now. They are good vehicles with an apparent bad run on some 2010's.
  • viper14viper14 Member Posts: 24
    The dealer you spoke to was not up front with you. The problem is with 2010 Santa Fe Limited with the V6 and six speed transmission as you can see by the amount of treads on this site. On Jan 20th I had the latest and the greatest (per Hyundai) update done on my 2010 Santa Fe. Number is 39110F3Y ECM update. Which by the way is for both the 2010 and 2011 Santa FE with V6 and 6 speed. Four have been accomplished by my dealer with no complaints. My transmission problem has just about disappeared, however since the last ECM update my car has developed a new and very dangerous problem.

When starting out from a dead stop or slightly moving forward then pressing on the gas pedal to accelerate there is a dead spot where nothing happens, then all of a sudden the car jumps forward. At times the acceleration is so quick the front tires spin. Releasing pressure on the gas pedal brings the car back under control. This is much more prevalent when making a right or left turn. Just this morning when attempting to turn left at a divided highway with one car coming on the other lane and with plenty of room to turn before that car came close, my car did nothing when I pressed on the gas. I immediately stepped on the brake or there would have been on hell of a wreck.

Has anyone experienced this problem?
    How many miles on your 2011 Santa Fe? Wait til you get 3 or 4 thousand miles. By the way the Santa Fe Limited only comes with a V6 and 6 speed transmission, not a 4 cyl. Why is the 2010 ECM update apply to the 2011 Santa Fe Limited, it's the same as the 2010 Limited.

Why was your 2010 transmission replaced?
    I have 8500 on the Sante Fe currently, problem free so far. They replaced the trans because the service rep was driving it when it hit hard into 2nd gear as I had been complaining about. I was lucky it happened for them. They tried blowing me off until then.
    after my reman tranny was installed i had a similar situation where the same thing happen to me in an intersection where the light had change to yellow so i went to step on the gas and a dead spot just like u had. took it right to the dealer and of coarse could not duplicate it, was told it has to do with the ecs, tc, bdf systems. i told them i didn't care what system it was , but that it was not safe when your stepping on the gas peddle and have it to the floor that the wheels should at least spin, mine didn't. after reading all the blogs on many forums, it sounds like this could be a computer problem. my santa fe is on its way back to the dealer on monday, again for tranny issues and others as well. i have had nothing but good things to say about hyundai vehicles in the past, but enough is enough, this one is truly a lemon. if hyundai doesn't acknowlage that this one is in fact a lemon, i will be contacting our lawyer!!!!
    Wow! Sounds like I'm not the only one with this new problem. In my option, I think this problem rates up there with the uncommanded acceleration issue Toyota had. This dead spot problem started right after the ECM computer update # TC7 10BA30R0 I had done Dec 1, 2010 and was supposed to be corrected with ECM update # 39110F3Y done on Jan 20, 2011. I had that update last week and seemed to fix the transmission, but not the dead spot issue.
    There will be crashes soon on these Santa Fe models because this dead spot and until people get badly injured or worse nothing will be done.
    Hyundai are you reading this?
    ECM update doesn't work. Back to the drawing board.
    So would I be right to assume that I should stay away from buying a 2011 6cyl AWD limited Santa Fe ? Afer reading the post here I'm really confused if there a couple of problems that aren't being fixed.
    Mikea11414,

There have been close to 350 messages back and forth between Santa Fe owners just on the transmission issue. Why not read them all, then make your decision on buying one. I'm on my second Santa Fe, 1st was a 2006. Currently I have a 2010 Santa Fe with 3.5 V6 and 6 speed transmission and I love this car, but I'm afraid of the dead spot when pressing the gas and I wonder if the transmission is going to last to 100,000 miles.

My Hyundai dealer has always been up front with me and is trying to work things out.

Good luck!
    Not to minimize the problems here, but it would be interestng to know how many people generated the 350 messages referred to. It would be one thing to say that this is a 10% failure rate, but it may be closer to 100 out of 100,000, or 0.1%. It also seems that at least one replacement transmission did the trick. To all those who are struggling with this issue, my apologies.

About the dead spot, there is a post on another message board that indicates that this is an issue with the throttle, and not the transmission. They indicated that there is an adjustment on the accelerator that improves this issue. I'd include that link, but Edmunds doesn't allow links to other Forums. Just google Throttle dead spot Hyundai. Good luck all.
    Viper, my best friend has an 09 Sante Fe and hasn't had a problem in 38,000 miles. I asked 2 dealers about tranny problems and they said they haven't heard of any in a year. 2011 Kia buyers are having tranny problems, I read about all the problems you guys are having and wonder how the dealers can tell me they haven't heard of them. I just wish they'd admit the problem , say where the problem cars were built and when. So if I do buy I can avoid them. I'm now concerned for my family safety and that's why I'm asking for all the advice from you guys. That's why even though I really want the car, I'm confused as to what to do.
    ecotrkvr,

Checked Google, it's not related to the dead spot problem I'm experiencing. My problem surfaced after ECM computer update. Looking at the past threads there have been many transmissions replaced on 2010 Santa Fe's including my own. Note, 2010 Santa Fe Limtied is the same as the 2010.
  • rdsanteferdsantefe Member Posts: 4
    picked up my sante fe last week after transmission # 4 installed for slamming into second gear issues. It seemed fine all week for in town driving. Went on a road trip for 100 miles and pulled off the freeway and came to a stop. did a normal acceleration for stop sign and it slammed into 3rd gear. made it through two more lights then had to stop again. same thing happened... We then visited friends for about 6 hours and headed home. Had no trouble shifting driving through the city but hit the freeway and headed home. As soon as I pulled off the freeway and came to my first stop... piece of %$^% did it again. Heading to the dealership again on Monday to have another repair order made. Canada does not have a Lemon law like several states but we have a CAMVAP agency that we can take our case to and try and get our money back. I will say it again... HYUNDAI CANADA DOESA NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT!!!!!!

still frozen in alberta
  • lance15lance15 Member Posts: 1
    I’m starting to wonder if I’m having transmission problems. I drive an 2002 V6 Santa Fe with 150K. Recently it seems like if I’m driving at a consistent 35 MPH and slowly increase my speed to 40 MPH the car will shake. It almost feels like I’m driving over a set of rumble strips. The shaking will disappear if I accelerate or de-accelerate. Does this have anything to do with my transmission? I took my car to the mechanic and they said they couldn’t find any issues. However, it seems to do this quite consistently. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!
  • jemms2010jemms2010 Member Posts: 10
    edited January 2011
    I had the same problems with my 2010 santa fe with the hard gear shifts, and I too was very fristated with the whole matter of how the dealer tried to fix it, I let them replace the tranny once and replace the ecm computer module, neither fix worked, they then wanted to put another tranny in the vehicle and I said no, that we were either going to go through CAMVAP or they replace the vehicle, they eneded up getting us out of thevehicle and into another one buut with a different production date. If your dealer has tried to fix the same problem 3x then you are eligable for CAMVAP, I would start the process with them, they say that within 3months the have a resoluition and you can tell them that switching the tranny again is obviously not the correct method to fix it. What is the production date of your santa fe? all the bulletins show the issue with ones built between oct 2009 - match 2010, my first one was built in 09' and my second one was built in june 10 with no issues. It still bothers me that for such a reputable car manufacturere that they don't recognize the problem with these vehicles and I'm sure int he long run they will pay for their mistakes.
  • somedai1somedai1 Member Posts: 416
    I would check tires, wheels, suspension and linkage 1st.... balancing might be the problem in the tires/wheels - check balancing 1st and let us know... they can check front end/suspension/linmkage at that time too...
    What is CAMVAP? Is it a Canada only thing? I live in South Carolina and have had my 2010 Santa FE Limited transmission replaced once, been in the dealers shop at least 6 or 8 times and problem still persist. I have as of today 12,201 miles.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    It stands for The CANADIAN MOTOR VEHICLE ARBITRATION PLAN is a program where disputes between consumers and vehicle manufacturers about alleged manufacturing defects or ...

you can read more at camvap.ca

But if you are in SC I would suggest using your Lemon Law. It works much the same. Sorry to hear about all these tranny replacements.

For those of you who have had 1 or 2 or more trannys replaced and yet still have the problem, I have gotten the impression from some posts that the problem was still there even driving the car home from the dealer. This would suggest that they didn't really replace the tranny at all. There would be ovious telltale signs if you look where the tran meets the engine. You would be able to see fasteners that have recently been disturbed.

I must say I am a bit shocked that Hyundai is allowing some of these dealers to be so negligent (including corporate head office decisions). There are some less than thrilled 2011 Sonata owners with pulling issues that seem to not be getting addressed in a punctual manner either. Hyundai better wise up or there newly found claim to fame will be short lived.
    gimmestdtranny,

Thanks for the information. By the way 2011 Santa Fe Limited models are the same as 2010. 2012 is when the next change takes place. Maybe Hyundai will revert back to the 5 speed transmission for 2012.
    I don't know if they would do that. They are building their own tranny in some cars now, the new Sonata and others have a Hyundai built 6 speed. (probably the same in the Kia models) Speaking of which I thought I had read recently some issues with an auto tranny in a Kia.. I can't recall to be sure but thought i heard something just recently.

They claim it (the new 6 spd) is lighter and more compact. As for longevity potential, it will take a few years for us to find out. The 6 speeds allow gearing that helps improve FE, use smaller engines without as much of a performance penalty.
  • chucko6chucko6 Member Posts: 81
    LANCE,

Obviously, your problem is not what this thread is discussing. What you're experiencing is called old age. The present problems are showing up while the SF's are still New and the tranny's already need replaced.
    Be happy you broke 100K and the vehicle still runs.
    I called Hyundai corporate today to see what they said about this tranny problem and the CS rep said they had no tranny problems. I explained whats posted here and at other sites. She said she checked and found no major tranny problems recorded.

BTW, got a call today that my 2011 limited will be in tomorrow.
  • enviroman2enviroman2 Member Posts: 2
    If I had just spend near 30 grand for a NEW vehicle and the trans was serviced or replaced several times, I know what I'd do!

I grab a large piece of cardboard and a stick, write "trans problem Hyundai can't fix" and march on down to a Hyandai dealer that are just today introducing their new line of cars, the Equus.
    I'd find a public sidewalk, stand or walk peacefully and have an informational picket protest. If you have an 'in" at a TV station inform them what you plan to do.

I think this would work the best on larger Hyundai stores in major metro areas. Just bet the company reps would talk to you now and they couldn't say that haven't heard about the problem.

Glad I read this forum, first, before I purchased a Hyundai vehicle!
    Agreed, why not alienate the dealer when they've basically dumped the customer? Anyone with lingering trans problems needs to hold their feet to the fire. By the way, why the silence from all the consumer protection agencies?
  • somedai1somedai1 Member Posts: 416
    It's disappointing to hear about these major problems. Hyundai is on the rise - producing some nice looking and nice performing vehicles. If they don't address these quality issues - they'll be right back down where they started. Their reputation is not that strong for them to ignore these serious issues! i have the '07 Santa Fe awd limited - most of my issues are nusance ones - nothing serious and any that occured during warranty were taken care of... but nothing like what I'm reading about here on the 2010 models! I wouldn't waste my time with that kind of protest tho'... with all the ammunition from this website/forum - I'd be talking to the local news stations to make it as public as possible - then see if it's the dealership or the manufacturer that's blowing smoke! This is unacceptable.
    In my case the Hyundai dealer has always been up front with me on the transmisssion problem. All available updates have been done and transmission replaced once. My SF has been held over night a couple of time and I always had a loaner to drive. It's not the dealers fault, it's the Hyundai engineers. They are grasping at straws. Get rid of the 6 speed and go back to the 5 speed, problem fixed. 2009 and earlier do not have the problem we are all experiencing.
    edited January 2011
    Just trying to help. Those with Manual Trans benefit the most from accelerator adjustment, as the flat spot makes it tough to drive a stick.
    ecotrklvr,

Try driving a automatic 6 speed that occasionally has a dead spot with the throttle. My 2010 SF Limited with V6 & 6 speed is currently in the dealers shop and I doubt if they will find anything wrong. Time to look towards Honda for a replacement.

Make note: this is the 368 thread on the transmission subject. Enough is enough.
    Correction: Note, 2010 Santa Fe Limtied is the same as the 2010. Should read: Note, 2011 Santa Fe Limtied is the same as the 2010.
    Throttle dead spots are not good with either trans.

With Drive-by-wire throttle sytem like this, the accelerator is now just an electronic proportional transmitter. So now Transmission, Engine/Trans ECM, ECM firmware, and throttle hardware are now suspect. Point is, you may now have two problems.
  • billaggiebillaggie Member Posts: 3
    Hello folks,

My wife and I just bought this vehicle with Navigaton at a good price new from the dealer. I am pretty impressed with the build quality of Hyundai... I didn't expect it. It reminds me of Toyota during their upswing days. We compared this to the Ford Edge and Chevrolet Equinox and truthfully the Hyundai was slightly less refined than the Ford/Chevy in my humble opinion, but still a star and we got a terrific price. We are satisfied and was pleased with unbelievable fuel mileage on highway driving. I was getting 31.8 MPG on highway at 60 MPH and working it for the best possible mileage.

Anyhow, my question is about coasting with this transmission. To my surprise, this vehicle doesn't freewheel during release of the accelerator. Oddly the engine stays engaged to the wheels and actually it's a drag on the vehicle when releasing the acceleration. I've never had any vehicle work this way.. is it normal or is this a glitch with my SanteFe? If you are at 60 mph and at about 2100 or so RPM's, on any car if you let go of the accelerator the engine will drop to around 1k rpm's letting the vehicle coast. Not my Hyundai. As good as this vehicle gets with mileage it could be better if you didn't have the drag of the engine when letting your foot off the gas. In this regard it acts like a manual transmission and does not disengage the engine from the transmission unless shifting to netural as with a manual box.

Anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks!

Bill
    Are you sure it is AWD? I hope they didn't tell you that and charge accordingly?">link title
    Because I'm pretty sure that 4 cyl models were only FWD. Which do get better FE than the AWD's.

I am not very familiar with your transmission, other than to suggest ensuring that the OD button is not pressed in (which locks it out). But this would restrict you to one gear lower, higher engine RPM and FE would suffer at highway speeds.