Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Navigator Stereo iPod MP3 Navigation

grusongruson Member Posts: 17
Hey guys,
I recently purchased a 2006 with every option except 4x4.

I am hoping someone can help me out and let me know of an Ipod "kit" that will work with the Navigation/audio system.

Hopefully I can use the factory components to control the Ipod.

Has anyone done this?

Please let us know details/costs.

Thanks!

Comments

• ejjones55ejjones55 Member Posts: 10
    The amp in the rear passenger panel has gone on me. I need to get a replacement. What year/s Navigator/s will work? Any idea where to get one? PLEASE HELP, my sound sucks I GOT NO BASS
  • tonykeastonykeas Member Posts: 3
    I have an amp if you want it, brand new from the dealer is $90.00, i'll take $50.00 to my paypal if you want it.... let me know.
    Your amp will work for sure in my 2002 Navigator? What vehicle/year did the amp come out of? Or brand new?
    $50.00 out the door (that includes shipping) ???
  • mossyhornsmossyhorns Member Posts: 6
    I have an 04 that was making an odd popping electrical sound that was coming from the rear passenger speaker position the other morning, I turned the head unit off and the noise went away and came back when I turned it on. When I backed out of the garage it quit and has not happened since. Did yours do anything simular before it quit completely?
  • gryhnd1gryhnd1 Member Posts: 9
    My sub amp also blew in my 2002 Nav. I called the local junkyard and they had just sold their only one the day before :/ so I ordered new through the dealer. Try your local junkyards first and see what they have.

Very easy to swap it out.
    I have a 2002 that I just installed a Monster iCruze into yesterday. So far so good! They can be had on the cheap on ebay. Used to run into the hundreds of dollars...I got a full blown kit plus display for about $60.

No idea if it works with a 2006, but you can ask the seller first:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZa.u.d.i.o.n.l.i.n.eQQhtZ-1
    2002 4x4, Alpine audio, 6 disc changer.

I just installed an iCruze kit to allow my iPod to play via the CD option on the OEM head unit.

One power wire required being on an accessory lead. In retrospect I'd really like this to be on the delayed circuit that keeps the radio on after turning the car off, but before opening the doors. Without that, the radio stays on but the iCruze shuts off.

I'd prefer not to have to yank the head unit out again and probe the harness (it was tough packing all the extra iCruze cables in there), so I am wondering if anyone knows a lead under the dash (or elsewhere) I can tap into to get this functionality?
    How much from dealer? Did anyone tell you that any amp out of Navigator or Expedition will work from 98-02??? I heard that, but don't know if true?? Did you have to pull all the panels off the passenger side from the door back to the trunk to get to the amp?
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    I'm not 100% sure but I think the way the delayed accessory feature works on Lincolns the radio gets an unswitched power lead and another wire that signals the radio when to shut off. So there is no power lead that you can tap into to mimic the delay.

You can easily verify that by unplugging the harness(es) and testing each one with a voltmeter to see if it's hot during the 10 minute delay but not afterwards.
    > How much from dealer?

I don't recall exactly. More than I thought it was worth though. Less than $200...somewhere around $100. A quick phone call will answer that question for you.

> Did anyone tell you that any amp out of Navigator or Expedition will work from 98-02

I had no reason to ask.

> Did you have to pull all the panels off the passenger side from the door back to the trunk to get to the amp?

Yes. If you go to Crutchfield and look at the direct fit subwoofer replacement they offer, there are detailed instructions on how to do it. Seems like a lot at first, but it was very simple.
    > You can easily verify that by unplugging the harness(es) and testing each one

Thanks. Ya, but as I mentioned above I'm trying to avoid that. Packing all the extra iCruze cables in behind the head unit was a chore :) .
  • tyler10tyler10 Member Posts: 4
    i have a 2002 navigator with stock alpine stero..my sub amp went bad so i tried to replace it. i cut off the connecter to try to connect the new amp and it didnt work. i dont know which wire is which other than the remote wire. also is it a high or low input to the new amp please help!!! thank you
    I had tried that too (hi, low, converters, you name it). for quite a while. I couldn't get it to work so I gave up and just bought a replacement.
  • navi_asylymnavi_asylym Member Posts: 1
    Hi Fellow Navi Fans. I have a 2003 Navigator that came with the factory sound package/navigation. I noticed the speakers sound a bit weak after you listen to loud music for 20-30 minutes. I am planning to replace the factory speakers and add a custom box for added bass, however, keeping the head unit and navigation factory. Any ideas where to start? I had a GMC Denali before and I had to rewire the entire car since each speaker had a built-in am attached to it. Anyone ran into the same issue? Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Giovanni
    One word: Crutchfield. They can tell you everything you need in the way of adapters, amp bypasses, etc and they have all the hardware.

If you're just replacing the door speakers you shouldn't need anything special. There are no separate amps for those. The sub may be a different story.
  • 08navigator08navigator Member Posts: 4
    The dealership, sales rep and parts department are no answer, neither is the internet. Does anyone know if the THX (no navigation) head unit has preamp outputs? It says that there are 2 subwoofers and a total of 600 watts on line, but it doesn't go into any details as to preamp outs, % of thd and stuff. I'd like to just keep the head unit in the dash since it will match much better, already is sync'd with the suv's info center to mute when getting too close to backing up and stuff. Plus it's nice to have the extra controls in the back and the steering wheel controls. I'm sure I'd loose all of that if I tried an aftermarket unit.
    The stereo isn't very loud compared to my old school Pontiac 6000 which had a $14,000 system in it. I'd just like to know if I am screwed with the factory unit.
    Plus, anyone know if there is room in the doors to hide low heat amps? I like the old school Carver amps that put out almost no heat and don't need cooled. I am sure I wouldn't have a heat problem if they were confined to the doors. Sub amps I know I would have to modify the rear gate panel to tuck them in there.
    Anyone ever try to tear the 3rd row seats out and make a cabinet on the frame to fold flat for when you really need the extra cargo room? Or am I thinking too crazy? I think an open air amp could be done like that.
    Any help?
    Thanks
    You'd be hard pressed to get a better sounding aftermarket setup. Louder? Sure, but the THX has been specifically tuned for that vehicle and has more than enough power for accurate reproduction.

That said, I doubt there are any lineouts on the head unit. The door speaker amps are probably integrated. Just use an amp with speaker level inputs or a converter.
    Hard pressed to get a better sounding aftermarket setup? Maybe not at Best Buy, but there is a lot of better equipment out there ;) . I'm sure, just like your home stereo, this thing is at least 10%THD. I like to stay in the range of .04% as a maximum. This factory system probably only gets to about 100db if you are lucky not to distort it at max volume. I'm looking to get a bit louder, clearer and more range. They do a nice job with the subs for a factory unit, thats why I was thinking they may have pre amped them. Their spots will make a nice mid bass placement. Just need to figure out where to put a couple on 15" subs as well.
    Anyone know if this thing has Pre Amp Outs? Any way to find a model number or manufacturer?
    No way the THX system is 10% THD. The THX system is custom designed and tuned to each vehicle.

You're obviously looking for loud and that's not what the THX system is about.
  • boots8909boots8909 Member Posts: 1
    I had heard from some friends that I could add a Mod to the factory NAV system that would enable this DVD system to play video on the NAV screen. I can't find any info on the internet to support this information, please help.
    http://www.lincolnaccessories.com/fas/b2c/home.asp

TripTunes™
    Part Number: 6R3Z-19A464-AA
    MSRP: $50.00

Take your tunes on the road! Now you can connect portable audio players (MP3, iPod,® iRiver,® SanDisk,® etc.), plus portable CD and cassette players, right to your in-dash radio. Just plug your player into the harness – a 3.5mm stereo connector provides the interface so you can listen to music through the radio’s speakers and control the volume. Audio connection is housed securely in your vehicle’s glovebox or center console. "Dealer Installation Recommended" Some models require an additional antenna adapter, please check with your local dealer for details.

Fits:
    Lincoln Navigator 2006 2005 2004
  • newkbombnewkbomb Member Posts: 2
    will the Trip Tunes work on my 2004 with navigation? I took it in to a car audio store a while back and they said there are no additional ports to plug into on this audio system, and it would require putting in a new head unit which I don't want to do since it runs the nav and dvd player. Your thoughts?
  • mikerrmikerr Member Posts: 4
    I recently bought a 2006 navigator. Coming out of the front console is a wire with a connector on it. I figured it was to connect to an mp3 player since it fits my ipod perfectly. There is also an on/off switch in the console below it that I believe is associated with this plug. When the switch is in the down position the AM/FM stations stop playing as if the antenna has been disconnected. I puzzled as to what this can be and how to test it. Could this set up be for a satellite radio ? Appreciate your thoughts, thanks !
    That sounds like an aftermarket iPod FM transmitter with a cutout switch for the factory antenna lead to cut out interference. Connect your ipod, start playing a song, flip the switch down and scan for FM stations starting on the low end.
  • mikerrmikerr Member Posts: 4
    You're Good ! and right, I tried it last night and sure enough when I scanned FM it stopped in the 88 range and started playing. Thanks very much for the tip !
  • curtis22curtis22 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to upgrade my 2003 Navigator stereo and navigation system. I know that the newer modles have MP3 and IPODs. Is it possible to purchase one of the newer systems and have it installed so that I don't loose too much of the factory look and style?
  • 2000navigator2000navigator Member Posts: 4
    Did you get your amp fixed and was that the problem?
  • deton8deton8 Member Posts: 2
    The eBay seller... of such a unit is "cardemand"...

Currently $214 buy-it-now w/free shipping... and all connectoized... specific to your vehicle... good luck...!!

I have the 2004 with full navi.. if I could integrate bluetooth and a back-up camera... I'd beep the car until they come up with good anti-gravs...

(I jealous of my wife's BMW X5... Back-up and bluetooth... even though the NAVI system is stupid... & without touch screen)...
  • sicknickelsicknickel Member Posts: 1
    I am hoping someone knows how to remove the center console to get access to the stereo. I was able to get the console plate loosened to the bottom, but can't seem to completely remove it. Thanks
  • bvincent1bvincent1 Member Posts: 1
    My 2008 Lincoln Navigator won't play my ipod. We bought the mini stereo audio cable , plugged it to the Line In in the center console the other end into the ipod and nothing happened. Is there a specific plug that I am supposed to get ?
  • 03gatorin201103gatorin2011 Member Posts: 2
    Hello all, just got my 03 Gator last week. It is great so far, a few minor problems to fix (got it at auction) but I wold really love to hook my satellite radio up to it. It does not have navigation, a SAT button, or an AUX input. I was hoping I could find an option that did not include replacing the radio, as I told my husband I could figure out- no luck so far! My Explorer had a tape deck that I hooked my XM up to, but alas, no tape player in the Gator. It does have a 6 disc CD changer if that helps at all. I would like to eventually get a nicer stereo, possibly touch screen, but want it to look similar to the factory one-could I take it out of a Navigator at a junk yard? Please help with any options I might have. Thank you so much!
  • deton8deton8 Member Posts: 2
    I have the "factory" NAV unit in mine ['04]... It was good in it's day.

I started nickeling myself to death trying to add a back-up [rearview] camera... Then BLUE-TOOTH...

(then got jealous because my wife 's BMW X5 shows traffic conditions).

My best advice...

Don't do it... Just change it all out
    (Way less $$$ the PIECE Parting it together)...

it is possible to find adapters that will allow you to cobble you r future desires together one by one...

Then Bluetooth was a hole 'nuther can-o-worms.

Having been there... and seeing now what Crutchfield has to offer...

Call 1-888-955-6000 to speak with a Crutchfield expert...

They can help you choose what you want... assemble your shopping list... and then GO FIND 4 YOURSELF THE BEST PRICEd... professional & EQUIPMENT

Think about a better stereo, touch screen... back-up camera, Navigation, Road conditions...and reroutes...DVD-Player and hands-free blu-tooth phone usage... etc. etc.

and get Crutchfield to tell you which units have the best
    "FACTORY LOOKING" adaptations to your Navigator... BEFORE YOUR
    DASH ASSEMBLY IS NOT AS POPULAR...

(But take some comfort in the knowledge that I'm still able to locate adaptations for an '87 Porsche... from CRUTCHFIELD)

The modern Pioneer or Clarion Navigation Radio... voice command... CD/DVD, SAT... NAV systems are light years ahead of all but the latest Sync Systems...

Just be sure you ask what is needed for the radio to actively provide reroutes and road conditions...

They run the gambit from free to SATILITE SUBSCRIPTION REQUIRED.

FREE is always BETTER!

Compiled study principally from wiki...

TMC (Traffic Message Channel): Navigation can provide you with even better routes if Traffic Message Channel (TMC) information is available in the area you are traveling. The TMC is a specific application of the FM Radio Data System (RDS) used for broadcasting real-time traffic and weather information. Rosen Navigation automatically takes into account the TMC data received and calculates your route accordingly.
    inst. kit

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_12237_Pioneer-ADT-VA133.html

Crutchfield

Call 1-888-955-6000 to speak with a Crutchfield expert

keywords: Nav traffic, traffic alerts, RDS, TMC, Total Traffic Network (TTN), live traffic updates

Traffic Message Controller
  • revbakerrevbaker Member Posts: 1
    I'm needing to know the same thing, how to remove the center console but I can't figure out how to read the responses you received, only that you had 41 replies. Can you tell me where I can find them?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I don't see any responses to that post, other than yours this afternoon. Sounds like a mystery console.

Check Crutchfield again; they usually have radio removal instructions. The InstallDr.com may help too.
  • ppietruszewskippietruszewski Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Navigator. I have the original factory Audio system in there. When I use the volume knob to turn down the radio, it actually turns the volume up... To the max in a half a turn. The steering wheel control works fine. Can anyone offer any advice other than I am out of luck?