Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Acura RDX Rumors

jmpage2jmpage2 Member Posts: 268
edited March 2014 in Acura
My wife and I just started with the very early stages of looking for a replacement car for her 2005 FX that is coming off lease at the end of the year.

We were both rather disappointed that the RDX has no passenger side power seat and no seat memory but are still drawn to it because the technology package is the best out there in a compact SUV.

The salesman insisted that this is being corrected for 2008 (he says due to weak sales) but we were interested in whether or not anyone had heard anything similar or not.

Any other 2008 rumors? The other vehicle we are looking at is the Nissan Murano which is rumored to be completely redesigned for 2008.

Comments

• alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    ... be better served by an MDX... any particular reason you're not considering that one? The RDX is noticeably smaller than the FX series Infiniti, is it not?

~alpha
  • vcarrerasvcarreras Member Posts: 247
    May want to look at the new Infiniti EX35 or new Lexus which will be based off the RAV4.

http://www.caranddriver.com/autoshows/12721/infiniti-ex-concept.html
  • jmpage2jmpage2 Member Posts: 268
    Thanks for the suggestions. We were trying to stick with small or medium sized SUVs that were in the low to mid 30K price range.

With VPP discounts through my employer we will pay a little under invoice on any Infiniti or Nissan product which is why we were looking at the Murano. The FX is really compact actually and a little smaller inside than the Murano, but our main complaint with the FX is the extremely stiff/harsh ride (harsh even by sport standards, my Audi A4 has a much more supple suspension than my wife's FX).

Thanks for suggestions, I will check some of those other cars out. The technology package on the RDX is still the most impressive I've seen with the GPS integrated climate control, traffic data for the NAV and bluetooth with handsfree dialing.
  • biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    The salesman will tell you anything to make a sale - the lack of a power passenger seat is not the thing that is hurting sales. Like the RL, the RDX is a great car on paper that for some reason is not a hit with the masses.
    If he wanted to make a sale I highly doubt he would tell us that they will be making those changes in the '08 model that is not due out for six months. Typically sales people will tell you that the current model they have for sale is as good as it gets.

I have a friend whose son works for Honda. I will see if he can verify/refute this rumor.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    I dunno if you've driven the RDX yet, but it doesn't exactly glide over the bumps, either. I drove one with the optional 19" rims under it and found the ride to be as stiff as I could bear. And I have a decent tolerance for that sort of thing. Of course, the 18" should be better, but I think you'll want to test them yourself.

FWIW, I'm with you on the compact nature of the FX. While a great performance vehicle, I've always joked that it's the hatchback of the mid-size luxury SUV class.
  • jblaze13jblaze13 Member Posts: 152
    I've been considering the RDX while waiting for the LR2 and the Infinti to break cover. The infiniti is definitely more visually appealing from the outside. Glad to finally get some more entrants into this segment.
  • extech2extech2 Member Posts: 120
    I wouldn't be surprised if for 2008 the price of the base RDX would go up by $1,200 or $ 1,600 and this would include the current tech. package with navigation.
    That would actually surprise me greatly as Acura have always offered at least one options package to differentiate their vehicles and offer a lower entry price for those who don't want all of the features.

I think that if the RDX continues to sell poorly the more likely scenario is that the price stays the same with more features added, possibly a few things slipping from the technology package into the base trim and bigger manufacturer incentives.
  • johnny98johnny98 Member Posts: 88
    Remember that pricing is negotiable. If they do start adding features and sales go up, then dealers are going to stop giving out the below-invoice deals that are easily had right now. My advice is that if you like the car, but it now, because great deals are very easy to get.
    Below invoice deals are hard if not impossible to get on the '07 MDX in most markets, if you have an inside angle though, let us know. :shades:
    Sorry, I thought the question was about the RDX.
    Right you are, the mistake is mine.
  • 3rd_man3rd_man Member Posts: 7
    I'm limping my 98 Impreza Outback Sport along in hopes of waiting out the release of the 08 RDX. I don't have the guts to be an early adopter so I'm waiting for year two.

Has anyone heard a whisper as to when the 08 models are going to be available?

Thank you kindly.
  • tdiidmantdiidman Member Posts: 35
    Has anyone heard more specifics about what changes are in the works for the RDX for the 2008 or even the 2009 model year. I can think of a lot that are needed to improve the sales of this slow-selling vehicle, even though it is a techie's dream, but suspect we're not going to see many of them, at least not in 2008. My ideal RDX, and one that would lead me to purchase it in a heartbeat, would have these modifications: (1) a more fuel efficient engine that burns regular fuel or, preferably, is a diesel or diesel-hybrid; (2) the ability to tow more than 1500 lbs (the current RDX, in my opinion, lacks much "utility" even though it is an SUV; (3) a power passenger seat; (4) a memory driver's seat; (5) better looking alloy wheels than the 2007 version (need to be brighter and not grayish,to match the brightness of the door handles; (6)a standard auto dimming rear view mirror (can't believe Acura makes you pay extra for this in a car this expensive); (7) auto on-off headlamps; (8) rain sensing wipers; (9)a somewhat softer suspension; (10) a 6 speed automatic transmission- should help highway fuel economy; (11) self-leveling, articulating HID headlamps; (12) LED taillamps with amber turn signals which, in my opinion, are easier for drivers to the rear to see; and (13) an option for a DVD player for the second row. How many of these dreams might become reality? Are you listening, RDX product managers?
    The RDX is really more of a "sport activity vehicle" like the BMW X3 (which the RDX is outselling, by the way). If you want more of a boat-hauling machine, you should look at the MDX instead. The MDX has many of the other features you list as well.

Rumors I've heard are that changes to the RDX are going to be pretty minimal, like a couple of new colors, moving some of the Tech features into the base model, and making some of the accessories standard. No word on pricing, but I expect that you will pay more to get more.
  • rblelandrbleland Member Posts: 312
    I am currently considering an RDX. If the majority of the changes were made per the above post, I would no longer be interested in an RDX at all.

Different strokes, I guess.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    (1) are you certain, sure, the RDX cannot be safely fueled with 87 octane? Even the Porsche 996/997 series, 2001 and up, allows that.

(2) Demographics at "play". How many buyers have "this" interest?

(3) Power passenger seat... Power/memory seat "base" from Ebay? My 2001 Ford class "C" MH has an RX300 driver's memory/heating seat in the passenger's position, as does the driver's side. $250 on ebay for the RX300 "set", plus another $150 for an ES300 seat from which the memory/power base was removed and installed under the RX300 passenger seat.

Anyone in the market for a '97 ES300 driver's side seat but with an RX300 passenger side power seat base?

(4) See above.

(5) Aftermarket...my 2001 RX300 has 17X8 RH brand wheels along with +1 summer only Bridgestone Turanza tires.

(6) Nowadays auto-dimming rear view mirrors are not as viable as they once were due to the now consistently deeper tinting, darkening, of the rear and rear side windows in order to increase the efficiency of the climate control system. There is an aftermarket solution but absent putting the rear "looking"/view auto-dimming sensor on the outside rear(??)to avoid the tinting desensitation it would likely be useless.

(7) Auto-on/off headlamps...hmmm, does seem an odd thing to leave off.

(8) Rain sensing wipers. I have these on my 2001 C4 but I'm not so sure the cost would justify. Even here in Seattle.

(9) I would agree, air suspension would be really nice.

(10) Obviously you haven't yet had to endure the continuous "shiftiness" one encounters with a modern day 6-speed. More likely 9 "speed" with the modern day use of the torque converter lockup clutch in gear ratios below O/D.

All this "shiftiness", while somewhat discomforting as a driver will undoutedly improve FE and FWD safety. Most FWD and front torque biased AWD vehicles are now being programmed to upshift upon full throttle lift to prevent engine compression braking from resulting in loss of control or even ABS operational interference.

(11) The Feds require that HID headlamps be self-leveling. Insofar as "articulating" is concerned this seems to be a somewhat mixed bag. Where do these headlamps "point" as you are existing the curve/turn?

Answer..

Not toward the roadbed.

(12) Aftermarket, Ebay, again, specifically V-LEDS, Velocity LEDS. Both my 2001 AWD RX300 and 2001 Porsche C4 are fully retrofitted to LEDs, tail/stop/turn/parking/street/DRLs/high mount. Plus many of the interior lamps. During DRL operation the tail/street/parking/marker LED lamps are also enabled as is required by our neighbors just to the north.

Backup bulbs are 12 volt 50 watt bi-pin halogens (re)fitted into OEM lamp Bases. With the RX, during tail light only operations the inside set of rear tail lamps are disabled but enabled for STOP/BRAKING. On the C4 both OEM rear "fog" lights are wired to come on with braking. These mods provide a much more pronounced notification to the rear that I am "on the brakes".

(13) Like with OEM embedded GPS/nav systems, an aftermarket solution (two DVD player/screens actually) will not only be more competitive overall, but more viable in that they can be moved about for use in other family vehicles.
  • carlitos92carlitos92 Member Posts: 458
    6) I don't understand this comment. If the auto-dimming mirror is factory-installed, it should be calibrated for whatever level of tinting is on the car. I have a CX-7 with OEM "privacy tint" on the rear glass, and I assure you, the auto-dimming mirror is still viable. I would think the increasing prevalence of taller vehicles with projector headlamps is mitigating any tint darkening trend.

11) HIDs are required to be "leveling," not "SELF-leveling." There are plenty of cars out there where the HIDs are leveled by the driver's finger. Which means if I'm not on point, I could conceivably aim the things to the sky. I don't change the load in my car too much, but can understand how the non-SELF-leveling lamps could be a pain.

13) I agree that aftermarket systems are the way to go. However, that's irrelevant to Acura. They stand to make a lot of money charging $1,100 for "integration" of a $300 device...
    6) I have auto-dimming on two vehicles. The one on the RX I have never noted to be at all functional, on the other one I added rear tint so it's my fault that it isn't functional.

On the latter one outside rear view mirror position "follows" driver seat memory so I simply use one of the extra seat memory positions to tilt the outside mirror downward slightly during night driving.

11) Not sure I fully understand here. Both of my HID equipped vehicles will auto level the headlamp assemblies each time I turn the ignition on. The RX will continue to self-level up to about 20MPH roadspeed. I only know of one vehicle wherein the driver can control headlamp "leveling" and in that case it turns out to be a "downward" over-ride of the existing auto-leveling. You can never move the headlamps above the auto-leveling upward "target".

13) The only reason my '01 Rx has a "captive" GPS/nav is because it was "packaged" with other features I wanted, something I will always resent.

There comes a time for all manufacturers, regarding factory vs aftermarket options, that demographics overcomes greed. Consumers do not indefinitely remain stupid to price/value disparaties.

Now if we could just get the idiot dealers to recognize that.

Back in late 99 when I was in the market for an early MY2000 AWD Chrysler T&C delivery every local dealer (Seattle) had them loaded up to the "gusset", every factory option consieveable and then locally installed dual headrest DVDs.

I called a dealer in AR who found me a "stripped" AWD T&C LXi.
  • carlitos92carlitos92 Member Posts: 458
    I think the driver-controllable HIDs are more common in Europe (or at least used to be) - mainly because the HIDs are highly desirable there, but often on a car whose price point wouldn't justify the auto-leveling system. Think Mercedes C-Class with roll-up windows, and you get the idea. That scenario is less common here, but the CX-7 GT has this. Maybe also the Mazdaspeed 3 or 6...

I have a 5-position dial on the dash that is the only way of vertically aiming the HID headlights... There is a page in the manual that tries to correlate number of passengers (therefore, vehicle load) with dial position. But I think it's a crude baseline at best, and that the only way to realistically aim the headlights is out on the road, and even then only if you've owned the car a while and have a feel where the lights should be hitting.

For the record, I COULD have bought the $1K+ OEM DVD system in my Mazda (and have the kids and make the journeys to justify it) but ended up getting a dual-screen setup for less than $200. I admit that it looks junky slung over the headrests, but it also comes out of the car when not needed, reducing the chance of getting stolen, etc...
  • bruceomegabruceomega Member Posts: 250
    "(10) Obviously you haven't yet had to endure the continuous "shiftiness" one encounters with a modern day 6-speed"

I own a different brand, but I've never encountered anything I would call continuous shiftiness in my 6 speed AT. I find my 6 speed very responsive, and I much prefer it over a 5 speed I previously owned.

Thanks
    Bruce
  • beliasbelias Member Posts: 316
    So basically nobody here knows anything about what is coming in the 2008 RDX...
  • pmagganpmaggan Member Posts: 62
    Given the suspicious eye one must cast with respect to Internet information, I wouldn't bet on anything until Acura makes an official announcement. A similar discussion is going on over at rdx.acurazine.com. There is a guy there who claims to have official information and states that the 2008s will begin production in July for July delivery and that the Carbon Grey Pearl color is history for 2008.
  • casa7casa7 Member Posts: 3
    2008:

XM standard on all models
    Auto-dimming mirror standard on all trims
    Driver 2-way memory seats standard on both trim levels
    Multi-Information Display (MID) standard on the base model
    Handsfree-Link standard on the base
    Please state the source of this information. Reliable or just a guess?
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    "So basically nobody here knows anything about what is coming in the 2008 RDX..."

Most accurate statement in the thread. :shades:
  • casa7casa7 Member Posts: 3
    Reliable.
  • cobra611cobra611 Member Posts: 1
    Any cosmetic changes??
  • beliasbelias Member Posts: 316
    Thanks! :D I'm hoping that memory seats and a fully-powered passenger seat become "standard". But who knows!
  • 2yy4u2yy4u Member Posts: 7
    New member here.

I have a 2004 V6 Touareg that I will payoff now in July/2007 and I am seriously considering the RDX.
    Since I never tow or go offroad, I think this car would be nice. Still looking for news on the 2008.
    Does anybody has it with 20s? I have on my Touareg and really like it...

Thanks
  • cvistacvista Member Posts: 54
    2008 RDX is on Acura website now !!!
    08 is up on the Acura website, looks like the above post was right on the money;

XM standard on all models
    Auto-dimming mirror standard on all trims
    Driver 2-way memory seats standard on both trim levels
    Multi-Information Display (MID) standard on the base model
    Handsfree-Link standard on the base
  • 2yy4u2yy4u Member Posts: 7
    Just saw it.
    I was expecting more changes and not the price to go up... :confuse:
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Still no air in the backseat? (Yeah, yeah, I could go look, but you've already been there! :P )

Visiting Host who may be interested...
    I haven't seen the '08 in person yet, but per the spec changes, no air in the back seat.
  • frog22frog22 Member Posts: 24
    I read the info on the rdx 2008 on the Acura website...what does the info they have there about stiff ride and noise mean? Does it hopefully mean the RDX will be quieter and a more comfortable ride? Thanks for your help.
    What information on the Acura site are you referring to? Provide a link or copy the info here.

The 2007 is stiff and has a lot of highway noise. I seriously doubt that this has changed for 2008 as it has more to do with the level of insulation in the vehicle and the sporty suspension/handling than anything they can "tweak" out of the chassis.
    Thanks for responding! I would send you the link but it is still under www.acura.com. If you go to the acura website, then click on the rdx, then on performance, you will see that there is a heading on the left side titled "noise vibration & harshness control." It seems like they are addressing the issue but I dont understand why- are they saying it has been fixed or are they just acknowledging that is a problem but trying to downplay how big of a problem it is? Thanks!
  • cadreamncadreamn Member Posts: 56
    Saw a 2008 RDX Tech in Ramsey, NJ dealer lot today. There may be more - I was looking at MDXs but happened to notice it in a group of other RDXs.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    They may have added some stuff to reduce it.
  • j_ingj_ing Member Posts: 10
    The seats are very comfortable and I like all of the standard options, including the ipod connectivity and memory seats on the base model. I like the storage compartment between the driver and passenger seats. I do not like how the steering wheel radio controls are laid out and it seems like the shifting paddles get in the way when you are not using them. There is a lot of road noise and I am not used to this. I noticed while sitting idle talking to the salesman in the car for a while, it started shaking and vibrating. I still liked it overall, but then the dealer said "We don't sell at invoice." And he gave me the "This is an Acura" speech "So you have to pay more". This was quite a turnoff. Then he told me "someone" would contact me about the pricing offer the next day, and noone did. He never even gave me his business card. So needless to say my experience with the salesman put a damper on my desire for the vehicle. Now I am going to look at the Mazda CX-7 again, which is so comparable for less $$$ and I had a wonderful salesman. :(
    The internet is absolutely the BEST way to shop cars, pricing, these days. They know you won't come in and test drive absent a decent, acceptable to you, price and you can then go in with a "hardcopy" of the internet "quote".
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    That new color polished metal metallic looks blue on my computer. Has anyone seen it in person?
  • honwaihonwai Member Posts: 10
    Is gray, I looked the color at the dealership on a 08 TL. The blue showing on the website I believe is a tech. problem. Go to the dealership and check it out !
  • h2k2f2h2k2f2 Member Posts: 44
    I test drove an '08 base model last week. I drove it over some of Houston's worst streets. Even compared to where I'm originally from (the Midwest) Houston has some terrible sections of street. I found the ride of the RDX to be quite pleasant and not radically different from that of the unmodified '01 Honda Accord that I normally drive. I really can't understand why some people find the RDX to have a harsh ride. :confuse:
    I agree. I bought the 2008 RDX in August and find it almost as comfortable as my husbands Toyota 4 Runner. I was worried that the ride would be too harsh but I'm very happy to say that it rides much nicer than the 2007 which I test drove. I also think the road noise has been reduced quite a lot from the '07. It is actually quieter than the Ford Escape I just got rid of. I'm really happy with the RDX, and it's so much fun to drive!!!
  • newdriver2newdriver2 Member Posts: 68
    How much is the oil change? I heard the turbo engine need the Sync. oil, is it true? Could I use regular oil instead?
  • thuidoithuidoi Member Posts: 5
    Just got quote from Performance Acura in Chapil Hill, NC.
    2008 Acura RDX base package, out the door $32000 even. best deal i got so far all week.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Nothing is really in store for 09. Not until MY10. Then the MMC will happen. MMC is minor model change aka facelift. MMC's usually have a few changes. Hope this helps.
This discussion has been closed.