Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Azera Tires and Wheels

Comments

• jaymagicjaymagic Member Posts: 309
    Considered the Altimax tires, but didn't want to go back to the H speed rating. So far, I am liking the Goodyear GT's. Huge amount of grip -- wet or dry. I do think the original Michelins were a little quieter, but its hard now to recall. These have the 40K warranty, like the Altimax. It will be interesting to see how the different models work for both of us. Mine will only be used in non-snow season (which means probably not in Oct thru April), even tho they are supposed to be all season tires. It's just that I want the studs on for the winter months. I thought about going the Tire Rack route, but decided to let Discount do it all ($615 total plus a $20 goodyear rebate).
  • allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    Well...considering the main reason I picked the Altimax tires was because the OEM wheels are one during the winter months, so an H rated tire is no big deal to me. I read a lot of the reviews concerning the tires and they seemed to get very good ratings in terms of handling light/moderate snow, quiet/ comfortable ride and the price was hard to beat.

As soon as I get them on and put some miles on them, I'll post some feedback.
  • hc106hc106 Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2007 Hyundai Azera Limited with 25,000 miles on it, and looks like it will be a while longer before I have to replace the Michelins that came on it, but when I do, they will be Goodyear Assurance Tripletreds .

When we bought the Azera, we gave our 2002 Mercury Grand Marquis to our daughter. I had put Goodyear Assurance Tripletred tires on it when I replaced the original tires. She just replaced them last week with 80,000 miles on them. I am 71 and have used a lot of different tires, these are the best I have ever used. They give top notch traction in all conditions, are relatively quiet, have great responsivness, and tread life is fantastic.
    Good day.

I recently purchased 4 General Altimax HP tires (tirerack.com) for $372, took them to a local gas station to get them mounted & balanced for another $80. Anyway, since they've been on I've driven roughly 1000 miles on them and I must say, the ride is remarkably better than with the OEM Michelins. I never had any complaints about how the car rode over rough surfaces, but with the Altimax tires...it's even better. The ride is much more quiet and smooth, the handling is markedly better in both dry & wet conditions. I'll have to wait till this winter hits to find out how the tires fare in the snow here in the DC metro area.

I wish I could give you some feedback on these tires in regards to fuel economy, but I was unable to get them installed before an impromptu trip to NY. I can say, on the OEM Michelins (with about 40k miles on them) I averaged about 25 mpg (round trip) cruising at about 70 with the A/C on the whole time.

At any rate, I'm very, very satisfied and pleased with the Altimax HP's. My initial impression of them would have me recommending them to others. I'll post again at a later date and see if my opinion stays the same.
  • oskidunker1oskidunker1 Member Posts: 213
    $91.00 plus installation. I had these on a n Audi a few years ago and they were good.
    Oskidunker1...I had considered the Conti's as my wife's A6 has them, however...when I went to Tire Rack and looked at the reviews...the Altimax edged the Conti's out. I can't wait till the winter to see which one is better in snow. So far, both are great on dry and wet pavement, but the Altimax HP's offer a quieter ride.
  • SilverBullet00SilverBullet00 Member Posts: 102
    allmet33.. Need some advise, only have 15000 on my Michelins and they are starting to cup on the inside edge and making more noise. Think I need an alignment and/or wheel balance that was just done 30 days ago before I took a 2800 mile trip on some rough roads?
    Cupping on the inside would indicate toe & camber issues. If the alignment was just done within 30 days, I would go back and have them re-do it just to be safe.

Maybe when the alignment was done, they didn't tighten everything back down correctly. I've had my Azera since Mar. '06 and I haven't had a single alignment done on it yet. The car has just over 71k miles on it, with about 40k on the orginal Michelins. I have started getting a slight vibration from the front end, so I guess it's time for mine to be done as well.

Let us know if the problem is corrected.
  • wobbly_earswobbly_ears Member Posts: 160
    @allmet33
    71k miles? Wow! Yours is probably one of the Azzys with such high mileage!! Since you reported that you haven't faced any issues(major), I feel confident about the longevity of my Azzy (now with 24k miles)
  • gamlegedgamleged Member Posts: 442
    Makes me feel like a stay-at-home with 38,000 miles on my (delivered in Nov 2006) Azera Limited! Also no problems, save an under-warranty battery replacement at just under two years...
    Yeah...I believe in driving a car, that's what I paid for. I'm going to make sure I get my money's worth out of this ride. ;) My '02 Sonata averaged 51k miles/year, so I'm actually down a tad bit. :blush:
    I've driven mine quite a few places...I'm in the DC area and I've driven it to Orlando, Atlanta, NC (several times), NY quite a few times. My daily commute is about 50-60 miles round trip.

I got tired of the OEM battery, so I went to Wally World and got one of theirs and it's been a champ, my light dimming issue went away when I put it in. Other than that, it's been preventive maintenance...brake pads, wiper blades, bulbs, oil changes, transmission flush and now...a new set of tires.

I've been extremely pleased with my Azera. :blush:
    I did a search at Tire rack with the following preferences in order of importance to me.
    1. Quiet ride
    2. Tread Life
    3. Handling

It came up with Goodyear Assurance for $123.00 PER TIRE. In reading the reviews of all the other tires, the all seem to get reviews of "gets noisy after 20,000 miles or premature tread wear." I do not see these negative reviews for this tire so I may try it.
    @ allmet

51k miles a year?? Good god man, are you a truck driver or something?? I am sure you are pretty high on Al Gore's enemies list!! Lol!!

Joke aside, before I lived in Texas, I never understood how anyone could put so many miles on their cars. Now that I am in Texas, even a trip to Costco would put some miles on my car.

Miles and mile of Texas......
    Have 07 azera with 25,000 miles and Michelin Tires.There sems to be constant noise, worse when driving faster especially left fron wheel. Maybe I should have them looka t the wheel bearing. Front tires down to 2/32 in spots. what do you think? did a search and could not find a discussion on how to isolate the problem.
    Hey Wobbly!

Yeah...51k a year for 4 years!!! No...not a truck driver, just someone that loves driving. I ran into a guy this past weekend with an '06 Azera and he had 96k miles on his already!!!

I've driven through Texas once and you're right...miles & miles of Texas!!! :sick:
  • manoharmanohar Member Posts: 12
    I doubt it's the bearing. Uneven wear pattern on the tire(s) is the likely cause. My guess, you have not been rotating the tires, have you?
    Just returned from a quick Denver to Topeka, KS trip. It was about 1,200 miles. This is the first road trip on my new Eagle GT's. They were reasonably quiet at speed. I averaged about 80MPH, with air conditioning on all the way in both directions. My avg. gas mileage was right at 25 for the trip. There was an occasional quick sprint up to triple digits, but not for any length of time.

The standard tire pressure for these tires is 35 lbs. For the trip, I had them bumped to 37. A little better mileage they say, but also a slightly rougher ride.(BTY I am still on the factory shocks, now at 57000 miles). The big thing I notice about these tires is the amount of grip. It seems significantly higher than the original Michelin's. I will take the pressure back to 35, now that I am back in town..
    $134 ea from Tire rack with $20 rebate to come. Very nice ride and now no noise.
  • grayfoxgrayfox Member Posts: 166
    I assume you mean no ROAD noise with the Assurances. Did they by any chance diminish the Clunks of the front suspension since the tires are softer than the old Michelins?
    Grayfox...I can't speak on the Goodyear Assurance tires, but I can say something about the General Altimax HP's making a difference with the Azera. Now I don't have, nor ever have experienced the front end clunk, but I can say that there's a very noticeable difference in the way the car rides over road imperfections. So far, the Altimax HP's have been great!!! Much quieter ride vs. the OEM Michelin's, very smooth, great handling dry & wet. By the way, if anyone was in the DC/Northern VA area Friday the 26th of June around 9:30 p.m. The torrential downpour we experienced was crazy. I-95 was down to 40 mph in the fast lane and my Azera on the Altimax HP's was very confident and sure-footed. I can't wait till this winter so I can see how they handle in the snow conditions we get in this area.

Personally, I will never go back to ANY over-priced, over-rated Michelin product again. They came on my '02 Sonata and my '06 Azera and in both cases...were far from being tires worth buying again.
    Thanks for the input Allmet. It is another possiblilty but oskidunker bought some Assurances that I was wondering about. Ref #322,
    Oh...I understand, I was just giving feedback in reference to whether or not different tires can affect the characteristics of the car's handling and ride...and the answer is yes!!! I've heard good things about the Assurances as well.
    I never had the clunk but the car seems to handle better.
    Are the Assurance tires more quiet? My Michelins might wear longer but they are bumpy and very noisy. :(
    yes
  • stan28stan28 Member Posts: 14
    My Azera tires are also bumpy and noisy at 19k miles. They got noiser
    as they got older. A tire dealer told me it was probably due to too much
    weight on the front end and light on the rear making the tires bounce like a trailer
    and cupping them. After rotating them I guess I made it worse by bringing the
    bad ones up front and then the bouncing screwed up the rear tires. He suggests rotating more often but mine have gotten so noisy I need to buy a new set.
    The wife says "just turn up the radio!"

Also the sunshade gear went bad and fixed on warranty and the other day
    a plastic shield under the passenger side came loose and dragged along the
    ground when the wind hit it then popped back up when I stopped to check the
    noise. Took me three stops to figure out what was happening. Luckily I had a
    small bunjee cord that I could use to hold it up.
    The car was cheap to but so if the tires need to be replace after 25 k, I am ok with that.Better than paying 57k for an Audi A6 and saving $250.00 a year on tires.
  • wamba2000wamba2000 Member Posts: 146
    Took my wife;s 06 Azera in to Discount Tire for a rotation/balancing as the OEM Michelins were getting more noisy and it was due. Found that at 21,500 one tire was down to 3/32 and the others were at 4/32. As several thousand miles of driving were planned for this spring/summer, I looked at alternatives.

I purchased the Yokohama YK520's in the stock 235-55/17 size. Ran me $145 each but I parted with a little over $700 when all the road hazard and fees were added.

I have driven over 6500 miles since on these tires, here is my feedback: They are quieter that the stock Michelins even when the car was new. I had nose from the OEMs on grooved pavement more than on the Yokos. I have driven through two fairly heavy downpours and had no problems with grip or stability. Also got a 4 wheel alignment as soon as they were installed to minimize any unusual wear.
    Handling is good, and distance driving is quieter and even driving on the rough. bumpy LA freeeways was no problem.

This is a good alternative tire. I think only discount sells this model, which could be a downside if you are in an area where they do not have stores.
  • chrisa222chrisa222 Member Posts: 17
    Hey guys,

Im upgrading to 18s for a sportier look, and I want to try to sell my OEM 17s that came on my '06 Limited.

Im posting on Ebay and Craigslist, but was curious if anyone knows any other place to sell used rims. Whenever I am looking to buy or sell something for my Miata, there is a great Miata website...so I was hoping for something similar for Hyundai/Azera specifically, but if its out there, I don't know what or where it is.

Any info would be helpful...my email is chrisa222@yahoo.com.
    You might also try the Azera Forum...

Azera Forum
    Hi, allmet33, Been reading how you enjoy the General Alimax HP tires and been wondering if you have been to Wal-Mart lately and see that they now sell the General Evertrek HP for $106 each? This is a General tire sold throughout Canada and has very good reviews. It is basically the same tire as the Altimax with a,. little different tread design and it is also a directional tire. My Michelins with only 20K on them are driving me crazy. Got to talk to a Hyundai field rep yesterday and he stated the everyone he knows who changed from the Michelins to another brand never complain about the tires. He says the cupping comes from the way the Michelins are constructed with the kevlar belts, he also wish Hyundai would quit using them on the Azera and his headaches would be only with the dash cracking.
    SilverBullet00...good info. I really do like the Altimax HP's. Got a chance to take an extended trip on them (DC to Cleveland) and the ride was so much nicer than it ever was on the OEM Michelins. People that have rode in the car have asked me what I've done differently and they are shocked when I tell them it's just new tires. They have said the same thing...it rode nicely before, but it's so much better now. Even riding in the city here...the car seems to handle bumps and potholes so much better.

I never had the cupping issue with the Michelins, but maybe that's because I didn't ride on them exclusively. I think I put about 35K miles on them before swapping out for my 20" wheel package, then when winter came...I put the OEM wheels back on. After the end of spring, I took them off again...so it was a constant swap out.

I'll keep my eye out for the Evertrek when I go into Walmart to see if they have it here in my area. I didn't have a problem ordering them from Tire Rack, free shipping and they got to me in 2 days. Took them to a local gas station and they mounted & balanced them for $15/ea.
    Allmet, you sure got your Generals at the right time, they are now $110 each and no free shipping. Read good reviews from up North about the Evertreks, I might consider Wal-Mart's price and 60K treadwear warranty.
    I suppose your right. Crazy thing is...after having them, I would pay $110 ea. for them and not think twice. I hope the Altimax HP's will be available when the Continental Conti-Sports wear out on my wife's A6...as I like the HP's better than the Conti-Sport. Honestly...handling and ride comfort are about the same, but the HP's edge the Conti-Sports out in quietness.

Good thing with getting them at Walmart...you can buy them and get them installed while you shop. Not a bad deal to be honest.
    I just wanted to add that since I upgraded to 18s, with lower profile tires (245/45/18) my car rides MUCH better than it did before. It doesnt bounce or float on the highway anywhere near as much as it used to, and it handles a lot better.

And, these are with cheap tires (Nexxen 7000s) which were reccomended to me by my tire shop. I was leary since I never heard of the brand, but they are extremely quiet compared to the Michelins and the handling is far better.

If I could only sell my OEM rims!! lol
    Hey Chrisa222...don't sleep on those Nexen tires. When I got my 20" rims, the tires I got were the Lexani N3000's (made by Nexen and the same as the N3000's with the Nexen name on them). I loved how they rode, handled and performed. Even though they are 245/35-20's...they rode much smoother than the OEM Michelins. I think the soft Azera suspension and the stiffer sidewall on the low profile tire was a good match because the ride was never uncomfortable. The only thing about the N3000's...they aren't all season tires. Not sure about the N7000's, but just wanted to give you a head's up...the Nexen tires are good tires.

Not sure where you live, but if you get snow in the winter time...you may want to keep your OEM wheels and put them on in the winter time and then you won't have to worry about messing up your aftermarket wheels. Just a thought.

P.S. The N3000's are really good in wet weather too!!!
  • 101649101649 Member Posts: 192
    allmet

Are the Nexan and/or Lexani import tires??? Do they make 17" tires?
    Allmet...

I was under the impression that the 7000s are all-season, and that the 6000s are the summer-only tires. At least I hope that is the case, since I live in CT and we get some nasty winters! haha.
    Nexen is an imported brand...Korean to be exact.

About Nexen Tire

In regards to your other question, yes...they do make 17" tires.
    Yeah...your impression is the correct one. The N7000 is an ultra high performance all-season tire.

If one were interested in long tread life, the N5000 comes with a 60k treadwear mileage warranty, on top of being an ultra high performance all-season tire.

However, I can vouch for the N3000's as being tires you don't leave on for the winter (unless you deal with mild winters). I have a slight incline to drive up to get into my neighborhood and one winter with about 2 inches of snow on the streets, I couldn't make it up the incline. So...I simply put my OEM wheels on in the winter which extends tire life & limits the chance of messing a rim up by sliding into a curb or something.
  • specialknycspecialknyc Member Posts: 15
    I put on a set of Pirelli P-zero nero's and I could not be happier. They seem to be make less road noise and the ride seems slightly better overall. I would recommend them.
    I have had the Goodyear GT's on now for about 7,500 miles. (have about 63K total of 07 Azzy Ltd.). They offer superior traction and handling on both wet and dry pavement. They are clearly stiffer than the original Michelins. Not quite as cushy a drive. I do think the Michelins got slightly better gas mileage, maybe .3 mpg over the Goodyears, but my overall mpg remains decent at 24.7mpg in all around driving.

So far, (one rotation) virtually no wear apparent. I like having the higher speed rating than the Altimax HP. These are W rated, even though I will never be going that fast.
    An "H" rated tire is more than enough for me and usually...has a longer tread life than anything rated higher. My trips above 100 mph are far and few between.

I think the trend we are seeing is that almost any above average tires are better than the OEM Michelins that come on the Azera, and...folks are consistent in reporting that the ride, handling and comfort are improved. :shades:
    And, the replacements are significantly less expensive. (My GT's have a 40K guarantee).
  • gamlegedgamleged Member Posts: 442
    If you're thinking about new tires and it's a brand made in China, think fast. Obama is slapping a 35% import duty on them, near term...
    Do the Chinese allow US made tires or US made cars in their market??

I think it is about time someone stood up for the blue collar workers in this country. Too many jobs have been shipped out of this country.

(Yes, I see the irony of my response in a forum about Hyundai Azera, a car made in S Korea)
  • budwizerbudwizer Member Posts: 2
    I am running Michelin HydroEdge on my old Suzuki Grand Vitara and really, really like them. Has anyone tried them on their Azera?
  • eastexneastexn Member Posts: 3
    I have a 08 Azera with 17,000 miles. No previous problems. Michelin Energy tires. Have been well pleased with car.

Have been hearing a thump,thump noise for several weeks. Tire dealer showed me flat spots all around two tires on inside of tread that had been recently on rear. I had the wheels religned, front and rear. No significant alignment problems found. Had to put the two tires back on rear as the noise is too loud on front. Now I cannot rotate the tires as I don't want these noisey ties on front.

Is this a tire problem, or is this a problem with the rear suspension? If it is a suspension problem, shouldn't it be covered under warranty. And do I have any recourse from Hyundia for the ruined tires?
    I think it is commonly accepted around here that the Michelins Hyundai puts on Azeras are crap. Infact, many have had much better experiences with other brands (General Altimax seems to be a favorite).

I would have gone back to the dealer & complained about the tires. They might have replaced them under warranty. But bear in mind that tires are considered consumables & aren't covered under warranty. But the replacement tires might have been covered under Michelin's warranty. (Just a guess)

I have an 07 with about 28k miles on it. I can't wait to get rid of the Michelins on mine. They're noisy, harsh & are expensive to boot. I rode in a friend's Azera on which he had swapped OEM tires with Goodyear Comfort Tread & they rode so much better.