Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Azera Tires and Wheels

Comments

• oskidunker1oskidunker1 Member Posts: 213
    Just installed th Altimax HP. was told by the installer to be sure to rotate as the tread design will lend itself to noise if cupping occurs
  • bayonetbayonet Member Posts: 8
    Input - Update Requested,

I have the original OEM Michelin's on my 2009 Limited. I have about 25,000 miles on them. I live in Wiscnsin, so traction in wet icy snowy conditions is important. The Michelins are cuped and the road noise is horrific.

The rest of the car has performed very well. I have religiously serviced it and hasd tries checked and rotated as service recommends.

So what is my question? I have been reading the posts on both ContinentalTires (Extreme Contact DWS's and Pro Contact with Eco Plus). to those owners, can you give me an update since you put them on?

I have read some of the otheer threads (Tirerack.com and others) - Consumer reports.com and the ratings are very mixed on both of them. I really want to make an informed decision when I replace them this fall.

In advance, thanks for your input!
  • cwj3620cwj3620 Member Posts: 14
    I put the Cont. Pro Contact with ECO Plus on about 14,000 mile now. I am perfectly pleased. Still getting 28 MPG, I have rotated 3 times and no indication of wear or anything unusual. Tires are quiet with great handling response. They are defiantly a consideration for the day I get a Genesis
  • shagnatshagnat Member Posts: 78
    My 2008 Azera has the Conti DWS. I have no issues with them at all. They have only ~8000 miles and rotated and balanced one time. I would buy them again over the OEM Michelins.
    Hope this helps.
    BTW, where did you read negative reviews on the Conti DWS tires? I've never seen a negative review on them except for some idiot saying they didn't make them in the size to fit his car..... huh???? So, that makes it a bad tire?? Anyway, you get the idea.
    Hi Shagnat,

Here are links to the consumer reviews of Continental Tires:

http://reviews.conti-online.com/7501-en_us/2807566/contiprocontact-reviews/revie- ws.htm

http://www.treadepot.com/review/prct.html

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/tires-auto-parts/tires/performance-all-s- eason-tire-ratings/models/user-reviews/continental-contiprocontact-h-99022614.ht- m#readReview

Your point is noted. The tire that was rated poorly was the ContProContact - you will see ratings of the three most popular ties on the above Continental site. Both the DWS and Extreme Contact were well rated as you pointed out.

Thanks for your input. I will likely select one of the two highest rated Continental Tires.

Redleg
    Hi Cwj3620,

Thanks for your input. I will likely select one of the two highest rated Continental Tires.

glad to know you are pleasedwith the ECO tires!

I just do not want a repeat of the noise I am experiencing now 20K into ownership of them!

TX,

bayonet
  • parrotsquawkparrotsquawk Member Posts: 28
    At 20k plus, I have given up on these crappy Michelin OEM tires on my '09 Limited. They thump and they are N-O-I-S-Y.

I am looking at
    http://www.tiresplus.com/catalog/product.action?id=73099&pricing=true
    http://www.tiresplus.com/catalog/product.action?id=62680&pricing=true
    (I get very good deals at my local tires plus dealer)

Any other options?

I live in FL and consider wet traction as the most important factor, with quiet ride a close second.

Feedback would be appreciated.
  • jamazerajamazera Member Posts: 149
    I also live in FL..got 40k miles on Michelins, but very noisy..now have Yoko's Envigors ultra HP....Try to find the highest tread wear rating along with temp rating...Tire Rack usually has deals and rebates...A lot of posters have installed General Altimax or Ultimax
  • gamlegedgamleged Member Posts: 442
    I have about 10k miles on a set of Bridgestone Turanza Serenity tires (in Florida) with complete satisfaction. Here's a "Tire Rack" link for that tire and note the "review" link under the tire photos on that page...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Turanza+S- erenity&partnum=355HR7TS&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Hyundai&au- toYear=2006&autoModel=Azera Limited&autoModClar=
    Gamleged
    Where are you in FL??? I'm in Tampa...'06 Azera Premium Black on Black purchased from New Port Richey Hyundai in Jan '06..
    Nokomis, a few miles south of Sarasota. New 2006 Limited bought at Gettel in S'Sota, but as they didn't have the Aubergine I wanted they did a trade with a dealer in Lakeland to get me the car...
  • rminorrminor Member Posts: 40
    I also live in FL so I wanted a tire rated high for wet traction. Per CR ratings I went with the Michelin HydroEdge. Rated excellent for wet driving and tread life. Only con is T speed rating. I'll never get mine to 100mph much less 118mph (T speed rating). Bought from Costco in Brandon. They're now $162 + 15 installation + tax. They've been on my car for over 25k miles and still have 3/4 tread left. Much smoother and quieter than originals.
    tried to deal with Gettel and they wouldn't budge....tried all 3 dealers in Tampa and they wouldn't either......I have an '01 Santy (150k miles), '02 Sonata and an '06 Azera...I guess I helping to keep the Korean economy going. visited Nokomis many times to tarpon fish
  • azazedazazed Member Posts: 1
    For those that are looking for solid "all-weather" tires for the Azera I heartily recommend the Cooper CS4 Touring as a great option over the OEM tires. We had the Coopers on our '04 Nissan Murano in ND and then in SD (and lived on ND/MN/Canadian border so we got snow/ice/rain/everything inbetween for over 40,000 miles on the AWD Murano). The tires were so good we took the Murano out instead of my F-150 4WD most of the time in bad weather or on questionable roads.

We were impressed enough that my parents also put the Coopers on their '08 Cadillac DTS and according to my dad it made it "a whole different car".

Ironically, when we picked up our used '07 Azera Limited this spring at just under 40,000 miles on it, it had been given new tires at the dealership as part of its' once over...and the dealership had outfitted it with the Cooper CS4's. It honestly saved us the $500+ as the first thing that was going to happen to any car we purchased was it was getting the Coopers put on it. We'd have it on our new '11 Ford Flex AWD with the ECOboost twin turbo engine to keep all 4 planted on the ground, but sadly they don't make it in the 20" size we'd need to fit the factory rims.

The tires have always give us a great, firm ride without being rough...nice for on/off ramps, lane changes so you don't get the "land yacht" feeling with lateral movement. They have been downright tenacious on wet/rainy roads and with the AWD on the Murano they were ridiculous on ice and snow...so much so that I know in my heart I over-drove the conditions due to my well earned faith in the tires.

They aren't the cheapest tire of the bunch (or the most expensive if you research them) and you won't find them on Tire Rack if memory serves me correctly as that site doesn't carry Cooper. They are WELL worth the time to check them out as multiple members of my family across several makes/models of vehicles in the Dakota's and Canada can attest in harsh conditions and mixed paved/gravel roads. As a side note, after 40,000 miles you could hardly tell they were even worn visually...I think they are warrantied for either 60 or 80,000 miles!! While one might think they are rocks like the OEM Michellins, they are not...not by a long shot!
  • cobrazeracobrazera Member Posts: 352
    We had an '01 Tahoe that had 18" Falkens on it. They were noisy and very rough riding. We axed them and had Coopers mounted. The difference was night and day! Creamy ride and they gripped much better in wet and dry. Since then we have always kept Cooper in mind as a replacement tire
  • SilverBullet00SilverBullet00 Member Posts: 102
    I had the Cooper CS4 tires on my Chrysler 300M and now I am planning on putting them on my 08 Azera. They are available from Tread Depot at $134 each.
  • smdctroysmdctroy Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2008 Hyundai Azera about 2 years ago. After a few weeks I went back to the dealer and complained about the road noise. They acted like it was a problem no one had ever mentioned before and told me that the technician thought I should buy a new set of tires and have the wheels aligned. I did as nailahrenee had done, I moved my spare to the ground and bought a new tire at the dealer, had them mounted in front with the two best matched tires moved to the back. Results, still got lots of road noise. Again after another couple of weeks I took it back to the dealer and again they suggested a new set of tires (apparently the answer to the question, as it must come up a lot). I decided I would live with the problem until the tires wear out, instead of buying $500 worth of tires when they surely don't know for sure what is causing the problem.

It is clear with all the comments coming from Azera owners that it is a fault in the car design or early failure. At any rate, I don't put a lot of miles on my car, but I will not be buying another Azera.
  • bigbear347bigbear347 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2009 Azera limited. I am experiencing the same tire noise problem, sounds like a 4 x 4 with an aggressive tread pattern going down a dry road. I had the same experience at the dealership, they acted as though they knew nothing about this tire noise problem. They blamed the cupping on alignment. In my expeirence as a mechanic (years ago) cupping is caused by the tire bouncing from bad struts or suspension or tires out of balance. I have kept my tires rotated and balanced so I knew this wasn't the cause. I let the dealership do a four wheel alignment. The car was not that far out of specs so I rather doubt my problem will be solved. When I questioned the service advisor on why the tires are cupping I couldn't get a good answer. After reading these forums I believe there is a design flaw in the Hyundai suspension system. I am not an engineer or any kind of expert, just an old retired mechanic who suspects Hyundai doesn't want to acknowledge the problem.
  • allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    If I may, are you still riding on the OEM tires that came with the Azera? If so, I do believe the problem is more with the tires than the suspension. I think that most people that have switched to a different tire haven't experienced the problem any further. I could be wrong, but I don't recall anyone complaining of the problem once a different tire has been on their car. I for one am one. I went with the General Altimax HP's and the difference was night & day vs. the OEM Michelins. Even when they began to wear, there was no cupping. It was a bit uneven due to being slightly out of alignment, but no cupping.
  • parrotsquawkparrotsquawk Member Posts: 28
    I replaced my tires at about 20k because it was driving me nuts. I still think the car has a geometry problem but the alignment is in spec. The car is a bit noisy but nowhere near as bad as with those Michelin's.
    I had Michelins for decades on VW, Karman-Ghia and two Accords, all with full satisfaction, but the OEM Michelins on my '06 Azera were just plain noisy for 45,000 miles, and I replaced them with four Bridgestone Turanza Serenity tires with a resulting 14k miles (so far) of pleasure... :shades:
  • jkolehjkoleh Member Posts: 38
    Replaced OE Michelins at about 30M due mostly to serious cupping and noise. Replaced with Kumho Ectsa LX Platinum which I am happy with other than they are getting cupped as well with about 30 M on them. Have always rotated and balanced so think it may be an inherent proble with the car (2007 Azera) --- annoying.
  • bigbear347bigbear347 Member Posts: 2
    Yes, I still have the OEM tires. I have about 28,000 miles on the car, started noticing the noise around 20,000. I have concluded that rather than purchasing new tires, which may wear out prematurely again, I will just turn the radio up louder and trade the car for a new Honda or Toyota when I am able to.
  • carlosiiicarlosiii Member Posts: 2
    Ditto for my 2010. It started out nice and quiet but by 18k makes a continuous drone on all types of pavement surface.
  • jazzleighejazzleighe Member Posts: 3
    I bought a 2008 Black Beauty Azera Limited just last Monday--I'm absolutely thrilled so far. It's a Hyundai CPO vehicle, equipped with brand new Cooper CS4 Touring tires. I live in SE Wisconsin, and hope these tires are good in mixed driving conditions, as a few of you have mentioned.

I'm also hoping that my Azera doesn't disappoint me with the noise problems so many of you have discussed. So far the noise level is almost nil, unless you count a rumble when a wheel falls into one of our many cracks or potholes. The 2012 Sonata the dealer let me use during detailing made me crazy after 25 miles due to constant loud running noise, and horrible echoing "thunks" as tires stumbled over each pebble. I missed my well-mannered Azzie terribly!

After researching this vehicle for 6 months before buying, can you believe that I missed this site until AFTER my purchase, so the noise/tire issue is new to me? I'm glad there is this forum to rely on for user information and advice--I'll check back periodically to get the benefit of your wisdom and experience.

Keep reporting the news, good and bad! Thanks, guys and gals....
  • mark115mark115 Member Posts: 3
    Bought a "New" 2009 Azera Limited in Feb.2012 (was used as a dealer loaner,never registered.New title,only 7000 miles) Now it has 14000 miles and the road nosie is terrible. Does not seem to have any allignment problems,tracks fine no pulling to one side or the other,can drive with no hands on wheel.but the noise is now unbearable.cannot get it to dealer for another month or so (My work schedules) Now, the tires are Michlens.there does seem to be a lot of cracking on the side walls (It sat a lot) I am tempted to just replace the tires as I don't think I can stand to wait till they wear out. they are not cupped or any visable problems. Any suggestions? What tires to get?? Thanks
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    Wheel alignment is a multiple of things - and the alignment can be bad without any driveablility issues. For example, if the toe in is excessive, the car will drive just fine, but the tire is being driven ever so slightly sideways - and that grinds off the tire tread at a more rapid rate - and more importantly, causes a noise producing pattern to form.

If your car was quiet and then developed tire noise many miles down the road - look at the alignment.

My experience is that the published alignment specs are too wide by half to assure good tire wear. Put another way, the alignment needs to be within the inner half of the spec range.
    This story just in from the Secretary of The Life Sucks Department:

My Black Beauty Azera, proudly sporting a high gloss from its recent application of PermaPlate, was accosted by a faded little old econo car while waiting for a stoplight to change.

The perpetrator somehow failed to notice that 6 cars were sitting at the red light, and just kept driving until it crashed into Beauty's rear bumper. The dastardly dude instantly threw his vehicle into reverse, then swerved into the parking lane and turned the corner. He hit the gas, and disappeared within seconds. I never got a look at the license plate, nor did I have the satisfaction of seeing damage to his car (hope it was massive).

Yes, my dream car was hurt today, and I feel the pain. I'm glad, however, that the Azera is made of such strong stuff--the plastic cladding of the bumper is shattered and tattered, but no other damage is visible. If I was fated to be hit, I guess the rear bumper is the least troubling area to have damaged.

With a $500 deductible, that was an expensive loaf of bread I was on my way to buy...in addition to the accident report ritual, now I have to go through all the trouble of a car repair (including a Sonata loaner), and I was totally innocent. Anybody else hearing a sucky noise?!

Any idea whether the "uninsured motorist" portion of insurance might pay for the deductible? The other driver's insurance, if he had any, cannot pay if he hit and ran, after all. And he committed a hit and run, making me the victim of a crime.... Aw, there's that ssssuuucky noise again....
    that SUCKS....hope the repair goes to your satisfaction...I too have a black azzy "The Black Pearl" (named after Capt Jack Sparrow's pirate ship) '06 with 23K miles and not a mark (garage queen)....lots of upgrades also....
    My "Black Beauty" refers to the horse, since I have always been in love with those magnificent animals. When I was a girl, I read every horse novel I could get my hands on, collected horse figurines and pictures, drew them, fantasized that I was one of them, etc., until life lived up to my dreams and I was able to get a real horse! So I truly know how it feels to LOVE your ride.

I have the sporty black interior with the light wood trim--I feel so good when I slip inside, I just relax and melt into the seat. Since your screen name has "azera" in it, I know you can relate to how I'm feeling right now, whether you've had your Azzy since it was new, or you rescued a pampered "pre-owned" one. I appreciate your emotional support.

I'd be interested to know what kinds of upgrades you've done, for reference when I want to get Black Beauty a "gift"! As for the repair, he's going back to the dealer, and I'll demand a brand new bumper, of course, along with a thorough examination for hidden damage. I've never before made an insurance claim, so my company should be willing to do right by me after all those premiums they've pocketed over the years.
    I also have a 08, black on black and was hit in the rear by a teenager texting and not looking ahead. She had no insurance and my insurance paid in full under unisured motorist and took her to court to collect. Damage to me was no more than the replaceable bumper. I have also eliminated the Hyundai and flying "H" from my trunk lid and replaced them with a S380 emblem and a "M" emblem. Sometimes get questioned if its a Masaratti. :)
    In California, you have to prove that the driver that hit you was uninsured for the ccoverage to pay. If someone left the secne and you do not know who you are, you are out of luck.
  • carlosiiicarlosiii Member Posts: 2
    Reference my message #528. I gave up on the noise and had a set of Sumitomo HTR A/S PO1 UHS put on today (along with alignment). Driving out from the shop I couldn't get over the quietness. I hope it lasts. By the way, I picked these from the Consumer Reports 2012 Buying Guide.
  • allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    In most cases any unpleasant road noise was pretty much attributed to the terrible Michelin tires that came standard on the Azeras. I think everyone that changed tires and went with another brand noticed immediate differences. Good luck on your new Sumitomos.
    I saw a show on TV yesterday where the guy said you should Cross rotate your tires as the edges wear first on a front wheel drive car. He suggested front to rear and then Left rear to front right and right rear to front left.

Two things. I Have always been told not to do this with radial tires. Second I am afraid of vibrations, noice and the need to rebalance if I do this. would like more than 25K out of a set of tires. Any opinions?
  • cwj3620cwj3620 Member Posts: 14
    edited July 2012
    The issue of not rotating radial tires is an old early day radial issue from when radial tires were new and manufactures quality control was still being developed. With quality control of the manufacturing process now at high levels you should in-fact cross rotate radials for maximum wear-ability.

This is all assuming you do NOT have "Directional" tires, this type in-fact cannot be cross rotated!

The optimum rotation for wear includes the spare (if full size). Spare tire to drivers rear, that tire to passenger front, that tire to passenger rear, that tire to drivers front and that tire to spare. OR with no spare in rotation, the two front tires directly to the rear and the rear tires crisscrossed to the front. The pattern of rotation can be different depending on who you talk to, they all work the same, just remember to utilize the same pattern of rotation each time. Cross rotating works wonders for wear-ability and should be done every 5,000-8,000 miles for best results. As a point, I (Azera) got 74,450 on the original Michelin's (5 tire rotation) and I am at 35,000 with the replacement Continental Pro Plus w Eco (5 tire rotation), no wear in site. My wife's 2003 BMW 525, still has the original Michelin's with 59,000 (5 tire rotation), no wear in site. Just insure good 4 wheel alignment and you should realize great results.
    See my Post #487
    most performance/touring tyres today are directional.....4 tyre rotation is recommended...the Michelin Energy's that were OEM on the Azera are a good tyre, but not suitable for the suspension setup of the Azera....noisy, rough, and not wearing long....replaced mine with Yoko's and very happy got 40K on the Energy's...
  • yorledyorled Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a new bubble balancer machine but i am having difficulty trying to understand why is it that whenever i balanced a wheel(new rim and new tyre) and spin it slightly on the said machine it (the tyre) would always show that it is still unbalanced whenever it stops.?

N:B The unbalanced spots always turning up at different stops.
  • airforcechiefairforcechief Member Posts: 19
    I had the dealer do a bounce test of my struts and check my front end to try and ensure the cupping on my Michelin Energy tires wasn't caused by suspension issues. As most have stated, the dealer said all checks good and I needed new tires (I just reached 35K miles). I'm shopping for new tires and see several posters have had good luck with several tire brands/models. As a recap, I'd appreciate any recommendations.

Side note: I noticed that my dash board started to crack on the passenger side. Since my 2008 is still under warranty, the dealer is checking with Hyundai headquarters to see if the repair is covered. The cracks were most likely from the intense heat we've been having lately. I'm going to wait on the outcome of the crack repair before I buy the new tires.
  • busdepotbusdepot Member Posts: 11
    I own a 2006 Azera and I too have a crack on the top of the dashboard on the passenger side.In my case it was not covered because I am past the five year bumper to bumper warranty but the last time I took my car in for service at the dealership I did ask the service manager if it would have happen while the car was still under the warranty he said it would have been covered.In my case it is not very noticeable but i guess I will just have to live with it and hope that it doesn't get any worst.
    AFChief, I also have a 08 and have changed tires twice after the miserable Michelins. First tried the General Altimax HP, not satisfied after 24K and switched to KUHMO Ecsta LX Platinums 13K ago and couldn't be more satisfied. Very quiet tire and great price at $130 each from Tire Buyer. My dash is doing good so I'll be quiet for now. Retired USAF E-8 (1979). :)
    Thanks, I'll start a new subject for cracked dashboard; I see I'm not the only one with the issue. Will let all know the outcome.
    Go Air Force; much respect to you for paving the way for us new timers; retired in 2000 after 29 years. I'll definitely check into the KUHMO tires.
    Have Yoko S Drives and performance and ride is outstanding.....
    Will add the Yokos to my list to check. Thanks
  • cobrazeracobrazera Member Posts: 352
    We've had Cooper CS4 tires on our Azera for about a month. Tire noise and ride is much better than our OEM Michelins. However, the car is still pretty noisy. There's still a lot of clunking going on with the suspension over bumpy roads ( pretty much the only type of road we have here in Michigan ).
    IMO, there are numerous tires that are an improvement over the Michelins, check out the postings, and also the ratings from TireRack on touring tires. We went with the Coopers because they were rated highly and due to a killer sale, ended up being a couple hundred dollars cheaper than some others we had looked at.
    We're glad we changed the tires but the Azera suspension still disappoints.
    When we purchased the car, I recall that the noise and ride were much better than the Jag X-Type that we traded, but now compared to our other vehicle, a Lincoln MKT, the Azera is much louder and rougher.
    Will check out TireRack tire ratings and the tips by other posters. This is a great site for receiving very good first hand information from Azera owners. I thank all who have responded.
  • doveman7doveman7 Member Posts: 10
    I got rid of the miserable Michelins at 30K also and switched to the KUMHO Ecsta LX also. I've had them for 3 years and 45K. Now I am getting the cupping issue that my dealer says is just a flaw in the 07 Azera. That annoys me but I've not been unhappy with the Kumho's and will probably get them again. Decent price and 45K isn't so bad.
    doveman7, If I get 45K on my KUMHO's I'll be very happy and as you said I will buy them again. I get my alignments and balancing done by a alignment shop and not a Hyundai dealershop and have better results. :)
    less expensive too